PDA

View Full Version : Kenjon Barner - The Other Oregon RB

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
What's your guys' take on Barner? He's played really well this year, but is overshadowed by Black Mamba and LaMichael. I think he could start for most teams. Can he be a productive player in the NFL? Will he be drafted?

Sloopy
11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I have to go no here unless he bulks up considerably. Just does not have the body to play for the long hall at the pro level

Duffman57
11-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I have to go no here unless he bulks up considerably. Just does not have the body to play for the long hall at the pro level

?

He's obviously not a starter in the NFL, but he is 195 at 5'10 or 5'11" isn't a horrible weight for that 3rd down back type. But thats all he is. He's more of a north south runner than LaMike, though he still doesn't have that wiggle. He's just as fast, and a bit better catching the ball out of the backfield though he isn't near the blocker LaMike is. I feel like if they have the same role in the NFL, he could be just as good as LaMike because of how good he is out of the backfield and how much more of a north south runner, where LaMike does alot of dancing around at some points.

Caulibflower
11-13-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't think LaMichael James is going to be much different than Dexter McCluster in the NFL.

Razor
11-13-2011, 02:49 AM
I don't think I've ever seen Barner throw a block, but yeah. I think the guy could play in the NFL and be a dynamic player if his coaching staff knows how to exploit the mismatches he creates. Still a late round/UDFA guy though imo...

Sloopy
11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
?

He's obviously not a starter in the NFL, but he is 195 at 5'10 or 5'11" isn't a horrible weight for that 3rd down back type. But thats all he is. He's more of a north south runner than LaMike, though he still doesn't have that wiggle. He's just as fast, and a bit better catching the ball out of the backfield though he isn't near the blocker LaMike is. I feel like if they have the same role in the NFL, he could be just as good as LaMike because of how good he is out of the backfield and how much more of a north south runner, where LaMike does alot of dancing around at some points.

He's listed at 5'11 180. Based just on looking at him, I'd say those measurables are generous.

As far as a third down back? As Razor has stated I don't think I've ever seen him throw a block. Yes he can receive out of the backfield but thats not the only part of being a 3rd down back. Even if he tried to block, it would probably end his career.

On a side note, pretty sure LaMichael James doesn't make it in the NFL either

patriots21
11-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Maybe a late rounder, but he's going to have to run well.

Sloopy
11-13-2011, 09:09 AM
He might get drafted, would be sincerely surprised if he makes a major impact if any impact at all

Duffman57
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
He's listed at 5'11 180. Based just on looking at him, I'd say those measurables are generous.

As far as a third down back? As Razor has stated I don't think I've ever seen him throw a block. Yes he can receive out of the backfield but thats not the only part of being a 3rd down back. Even if he tried to block, it would probably end his career.

On a side note, pretty sure LaMichael James doesn't make it in the NFL either

The Oregon system has a habit of making REALLY good blocking backs. LaMike is the best back coming out this year in pass pro. I dont see LaMike being any different than Sproles in the NFL. If he gets a chance, he actually likes to go north south and packs a pretty good punch when he can get downhill. Actually a VERY physical player.

The reason you dont see Kenjon blocking in the backfield is because when we do need a blocker, LaMike is so good, that there's no explanation for taking him out. Kenjon will almost assuredly stay in school this year, so we'll see how he does blocking then.

And trust me, i've seen him in person, and he's just as filled out as LaMike and at least looks WAY bigger than he was last year. And, yes, he is listed at 195 on the team site....I think just everyone feels like everyone looks small in that Oregon offense because its so fast, sort of a preconceived notion.

I feel like his speed and agility will get him drafted in the mid to late rounds, but again, this is all pending on how he does next year...since he will actually be the starter then.

Sloopy
11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Being "just as filled out as 'LaMike'" isn't exactly a positive thing, "LaMike" is equally undersized for the NFL.

I admittedly have never seen him in person, I merely size compare him to other players on the field when I watch. He may very well be 5'10" and not 5'9" 5'8" however thats not the most concerning figure, its his listed 180 lbs everywhere other than his own teams site. This makes me believe he is closer to 180.

Sproles may be 190 but he is the exception, not the rule.

For the record, I'm not saying they won't get drafted, they very well may (although likely late rounder/UDFA), however I do not believe that he will fair well in the NFL.

I mean just look at their game against LSU, probably the most comparable thing to an NFL defense that they have seen:

James - 18 carries 54 yards 3.0 ypc
His worst ypc average all year and second worst yardage all year (by one yard)

Barner - 4 carries 7 yards 1.8 ypc
Worst game he's had all season in every stat category

I know stats aren't everything, but it isn't for nothing that they were relatively shut down against a high caliber defense

Duffman57
11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Being "just as filled out as 'LaMike'" isn't exactly a positive thing, "LaMike" is equally undersized for the NFL.

I admittedly have never seen him in person, I merely size compare him to other players on the field when I watch. He may very well be 5'10" and not 5'9" 5'8" however thats not the most concerning figure, its his listed 180 lbs everywhere other than his own teams site. This makes me believe he is closer to 180.

Sproles may be 190 but he is the exception, not the rule.

For the record, I'm not saying they won't get drafted, they very well may (although likely late rounder/UDFA), however I do not believe that he will fair well in the NFL.

I mean just look at their game against LSU, probably the most comparable thing to an NFL defense that they have seen:

James - 18 carries 54 yards 3.0 ypc
His worst ypc average all year and second worst yardage all year (by one yard)

Barner - 4 carries 7 yards 1.8 ypc
Worst game he's had all season in every stat category

I know stats aren't everything, but it isn't for nothing that they were relatively shut down against a high caliber defense

I think LaMike would actually be better in a Pro Scheme. He's actually a very good inside runner, and has incredible patience and vision to find a seem. His only problem is that he's a bit undersized, and that he at times can bounce it outside and run around when there's nothing there, rather than just stick his nose in there and try and pump out what he's given.

And really, LaMike played hurt that game, and the OL was blown off the ball on every play. Our OL got crushed that game. And lol at using the barner stats for that game, he literally only played like 5 snaps and got hurt or had cramps or something like that.

And yes, i know he's slim, but what seperates him from LeSean McCoy, who's maybe 195, and Jamal Charles who's around that 195 mark if that. Both of those guys are SEVERLY undersized, especially McCoy who has the slimmest build of any RB i've ever seen.

Like you said, those are the exception and not the rule, but he's got the speed, quickness and really good toughness to make an elite 3rd down back, if not more.

And Kenjon is VERY thick for being right at that 5'11" or 5'10" (i've played bball against him MANY times at the UO rec) and he's definitely 195, and he looks just as thick as a guy like Lesean McCoy. I haven't seen LaMike around very much, so i cant really speak on his bulk.

And for the record, the team site is the only one that has it, because he just bulked up to that this offseason and put on 10 lbs each. LaMike did it because he really wanted to be much more of a physical runner, and he really does pack a punch.

Sloopy
11-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I think LaMike would actually be better in a Pro Scheme. He's actually a very good inside runner, and has incredible patience and vision to find a seem. His only problem is that he's a bit undersized, and that he at times can bounce it outside and run around when there's nothing there, rather than just stick his nose in there and try and pump out what he's given.

And really, LaMike played hurt that game, and the OL was blown off the ball on every play. Our OL got crushed that game. And lol at using the barner stats for that game, he literally only played like 5 snaps and got hurt or had cramps or something like that.

And yes, i know he's slim, but what seperates him from LeSean McCoy, who's maybe 195, and Jamal Charles who's around that 195 mark if that. Both of those guys are SEVERLY undersized, especially McCoy who has the slimmest build of any RB i've ever seen.

Like you said, those are the exception and not the rule, but he's got the speed, quickness and really good toughness to make an elite 3rd down back, if not more.

And Kenjon is VERY thick for being right at that 5'11" or 5'10" (i've played bball against him MANY times at the UO rec) and he's definitely 195, and he looks just as thick as a guy like Lesean McCoy. I haven't seen LaMike around very much, so i cant really speak on his bulk.

And for the record, the team site is the only one that has it, because he just bulked up to that this offseason and put on 10 lbs each. LaMike did it because he really wanted to be much more of a physical runner, and he really does pack a punch.

I figured you'd bring up them getting injured, I didn't think that I needed to state that this further proves my point as to why they don't have the body to play in the NFL.

Both Lesean McCoy and Jamaal Charles way 200 lbs or more and both have had injury concerns during their careers as well. Still 200 lbs is still considerably larger than 180 lbs.

I'm sorry if I have a hard time feeling that the school websites #'s are legitimate as schools often give their players slightly exaggerated #'s (hight weight 40 times etc.)

Duffman57
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I figured you'd bring up them getting injured, I didn't think that I needed to state that this further proves my point as to why they don't have the body to play in the NFL.

Both Lesean McCoy and Jamaal Charles way 200 lbs or more and both have had injury concerns during their careers as well. Still 200 lbs is still considerably larger than 180 lbs.

I'm sorry if I have a hard time feeling that the school websites #'s are legitimate as schools often give their players slightly exaggerated #'s (hight weight 40 times etc.)

But neither of them actually got "hurt" both of them went out with Cramps, which is completely reasonable in the 1st game of the season going from playing in Oregon's very mild weather which is like 50's-60's and anywhere from suny to rainey in august, to the burning heat and humidity of Dallas. It has nothing to do with them not having "the body" to play in the NFL. The only time either of them has been actually injured, was when LaMike planted wrong on his elbow and turned and dislocated it. If you want i can post the picture of it, which is pretty cool lookin IMO...but i'm sure would gross some people out.

And actually the Oregon times and weights are usually very accurate, and their times are actually WAY slow (according to the website, Cliff Harris ran a 4.79 40, and LaMike a 4.59, yah good luck with those times) and pretty consistently Oregon's player have come in OVER the weight that they are listed at (Paysinger was 5 lbs heavier, Jairus Byrd was 6 lbs heavier, as was Stewart and Jeremiah Johnson was 9 lbs heavier than listed at the combine, many more examples like that). The only one recently was really below their weight that i can call out was Casey Matthews, who was 4 lbs lighter. The heights are consistently 1 inch above what they actually are if that.

So you dont believe Oregon's listed weights, but you believe that Charles' listed 199 lb weight is to small? And once again, i dont understand why you keep assuming that he's 180, when he's no smaller than 190, as i've consistently seen him in person. If you want, i can ask him to give me an exact number next time i play him in bball.... :P

Sloopy
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
But neither of them actually got "hurt" both of them went out with Cramps, which is completely reasonable in the 1st game of the season going from playing in Oregon's very mild weather which is like 50's-60's and anywhere from suny to rainey in august, to the burning heat and humidity of Dallas. It has nothing to do with them not having "the body" to play in the NFL. The only time either of them has been actually injured, was when LaMike planted wrong on his elbow and turned and dislocated it. If you want i can post the picture of it, which is pretty cool lookin IMO...but i'm sure would gross some people out.

And actually the Oregon times and weights are usually very accurate, and their times are actually WAY slow (according to the website, Cliff Harris ran a 4.79 40, and LaMike a 4.59, yah good luck with those times) and pretty consistently Oregon's player have come in OVER the weight that they are listed at (Paysinger was 5 lbs heavier, Jairus Byrd was 6 lbs heavier, as was Stewart and Jeremiah Johnson was 9 lbs heavier than listed at the combine, many more examples like that). The only one recently was really below their weight that i can call out was Casey Matthews, who was 4 lbs lighter. The heights are consistently 1 inch above what they actually are if that.

So you dont believe Oregon's listed weights, but you believe that Charles' listed 199 lb weight is to small? And once again, i dont understand why you keep assuming that he's 180, when he's no smaller than 190, as i've consistently seen him in person. If you want, i can ask him to give me an exact number next time i play him in bball.... :P

As I have said, they may very well be these weights, and Oregon may be very truthful with their #'s. I'm saying generally (especially with small guys) such #'s are exaggerated.

As far as NFL listed weights... for the most part these are accurate (especially early in players careers when they are officially done at the combine) because the player no longer has anything to gain by exaggerating height and weight as opposed to it possibly affecting their draft stock.

Duffman57
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
As I have said, they may very well be these weights, and Oregon may be very truthful with their #'s. I'm saying generally (especially with small guys) such #'s are exaggerated.

As far as NFL listed weights... for the most part these are accurate (especially early in players careers when they are officially done at the combine) because the player no longer has anything to gain by exaggerating height and weight as opposed to it possibly affecting their draft stock.

But you were saying that you think that those weights are higher than they are listed at. Thats the only thing that i'm concerned with.