PDA

View Full Version : Which teams are most likely to trade up/down this year?

Matthew Jones
11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Here are my thoughts on a prime candidate to trade down this year, the Jacksonville Jaguars:

At first glance it would seem that Jacksonville has a litany of potential targets for their impending top-ten pick. Wide receivers Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma St.), Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), and Alshon Jeffery (South Carolina) have been popular picks considering the lack of receiving options the Jaguars have provided rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert with. North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples has been another frequently-projected player. The problem is that none of these players seem to fit with Jacksonville based on their previous drafts.

Jaguars general manager Gene Smith has a history of drafting seniors and places a tremendous amount of value on character. Blackmon and Floyd have each had drinking-related arrests; Floyd has three run-ins with the law already. Alshon Jeffery's weight and conditioning have been repeatedly called into question. Jeffery has been compared to Mike Williams, the USC wide receiver who was drafted in the top ten in 2005 by the Detroit Lions and proceeded to eat his way out of the league before resurrecting his career in Seattle last season. Quinton Coples is another player who is frequently accused of taking plays off.

The Jaguars made just five picks in last year's draft. One of the picks traded was their second-rounder, which was used in order to move into the top ten up for Gabbert. Trading down would be an attractive option because it would allow the Jaguars to add more young talent in light of their thin class from 2011. Smith has never been afraid to take a player well before their projected draft slot (see Tyson Alualu) and could pass on the four potential prospects mentioned for an unexpected prospect, but he might be able to land the same target via trade-down while picking up some extra selections. The 2012 class is expected to be loaded with top-end talent, so teams should be more willing to trade up than they have been in thinner classes.

Potential trade-down targets:

1. WR Nick Toon, Wisconsin

2. DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

3. DE Vinny Curry, Marshall

4. DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina

5. CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

Who do you think are the most likely trade candidates?

Rosebud
11-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I really would like to see the giants move around this year, get that high impact LB like Burflict or Kuechly...so not us...

JohnCandy
11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
The Bears are always likely to trade down and with the 2009 and 2010 drafts being wiped out by the Jay Cutler trade the Bears need as many picks as they need to add depth and youth.

DeepThreat
11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a feeling the Browns will be aggressive in their attempt to add some playmakers.

Babylon
11-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Isn't it that time of the year to mention the Patriots?

On a somewhat related topic i think the inability of the Pats to trade up in recent drafts to get themselves an impact front 7 defender or a stud WR has really caught up with them.

Vaylor
11-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Isn't it that time of the year to mention the Patriots?

On a somewhat related topic i think the inability of the Pats to trade up in recent drafts to get themselves an impact front 7 defender or a stud WR has really caught up with them.

You can easily find impact front 7 players and stud WRs in the second round. The Patriots problem is either talent evaluation or development. Im honestly not sure which is worse.

niel89
11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Baltimore is always a team that is looking to trade down to pick up a few extra picks and then they normally catch some player who is falling.

Babylon
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
You can easily find impact front 7 players and stud WRs in the second round. The Patriots problem is either talent evaluation or development. Im honestly not sure which is worse.

The guys i was hoping they would take were names like Clay Matthews, Marcel Dareus and Julio Jones. You arent getting that caliber of player in the second round.

Dallas357
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
They won't pass on blackmon. But only a fool would think they end up with a top 5 pick. They're going to win at least 6 games, unfortunately.

rawdawg
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
The Bears are always likely to trade down and with the 2009 and 2010 drafts being wiped out by the Jay Cutler trade the Bears need as many picks as they need to add depth and youth.

Bears actually traded up last year (and then reneged) for Carimi, then traded up again in the 2nd for Paea. I don't know that I see the Bears trading down this year though. They already have 8 picks this year (after 5 picks the last 2 years) so I don't see them really going after quantity any more than they already have.

SolidGold
11-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Redskins could possibly go all in for Luck.

JPF
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Don't know if it will happen, but I could envision the Panthers trading down. They have a TON of needs, no single player is going to help them....

bruschis4all
11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Redskins could possibly go all in for Luck.

I think Indy is going to have Washington, Miami and Cleveland making serious offers for Luck. I also think the Skins finish Top 5. They're picking 6th right now. That's attractive to Indy because can still get a very good player. Not sure how Cleveland and Miami finish. My guess is they will be close to/in that top 5. The Colts are primed to make a franchise regenerating trade. Along with Manning coming back of course. Gonna be the Lawrence Welk trade though. A one, two. A one, two, three.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 10:51 AM
It is going to be very interesting to see what BB does. He has a track record of trading back to secure future picks. However that philosophy has stuck him with the 32nd ranked NFL defense with few if any impact players.
I think if he wants to make another serious run at a Super Bowl, he is going to have to attempt to move up even if it costs him extra picks and forget for awhile about securing future picks, otherwise his team will never be good enough again to make a serious SB run.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Teams drafting in the top 10 practically never trade up as they need every pick they have to fill serious positions of need. The exception is for a QB, but the chances of a team not using its first overall pick on Luck is about 1/2 a percent, so it is not likely to occur. The rookie salary cap has made it very possible for a team like Indy to carry Luck while starting Peyton.
Maybe there will be a trade for Barkley.
Most trades come from successful teams wanting a certain player who they think can put them over the top, see Atlanta last year, and they can afford to give up picks since they do not have a lot of holes to fill.
Cleveland has traded out of the top 10 the last 2 seasons for extra picks and show zero signs of being competitive anytime soon. They could have had Sanchez and Julio Jones for a potential effective offense, instead, their offense consistently fails to score even 1 TD a game.
Hence, most teams drafting in the top 10 rarely give up the pick unless they are run by a very competent GM with a strong draft record, who is willing to gamble on his ability to find talent further back in the draft.