PDA

View Full Version : When the Colts get the 1st pick.....

SuperPacker
11-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Do they draft Andrew Luck and wish the defense gets better by magic or do they trade him get about 3 firsts in compensation and seriously improve this poor excuse of a team?

If i was the GM i would trade the pick, improve the rest of the team with those picks and then try to win one last superbowl with Manning as the quarterback. Oh yeah Jim Caldwell needs to be fired aswell!

Also if they do draft Luck do they trade Manning and get some help for Luck and the rest of the team or do they keep Manning and sit Luck for however many years learning from the great master?

49erNation85
11-13-2011, 05:29 PM
They will draft Luck. But if Manning is healthy start him instead and sit Luck for at least one year to learn the offense. It all depends on Manning heath and how he can throw the . But you gotta take Luck and ease him into him into the Qb of the future.

Breed
11-13-2011, 05:32 PM
These weekly Indianapolis Colt threads are really getting annoying...

diabsoule
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
There will likely be serious questions about whether or not Manning can continue to play with his neck injury. Even if he can continue playing it will likely only be for 1-2 more seasons. They should draft Luck and see what happens with Manning's health.

cvv84
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
They'd have to draft Luck and cut Manning. If they don't cut Manning they're on the hook for $35 million.

Either way the Colts are a complete mess. Poor drafting and age has sunk that team. Manning covered it up but the last 2 years have really shown how bad the talent is on that team.

There's no way anyone is going to trade for Manning given his current contract.

Ravens1991
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Id Draft Luck put Manning on the trading block. If a team is willing to give a Carson Palmer like deal for him I would do it.

vidae
11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
If I'm Pioli I give up whatever the Colts are asking. I'm sick of watching Cassel fumble around and **** up every game. It's time to move on.

PoopSandwich
11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Wish they would trade him to Cleveland but that's not gonna happen. They know more than anyone the value of a franchise QB and it doesn't cost as much to sit the #1 pick as it used to under the new CBA.

indyfan1985
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
I could see them sitting Luck for ONLY one year to learn from Peyton and then they will trade Peyton after getting his trade value back up again after a good season of health.

The Colts could get a 1st and 2nd for Peyton after the 2012 season and then have Luck to start in 2013.

Vox Populi
11-13-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't really care, I think Luck is going to be underwhelming in the NFL, he has got to be the most hyped up "second coming" prospect since Reggie Bush. He'll never be as good as Peyton Manning and I don't expect him to be anything more than a Matt Hasselbeck in the NFL. He'll be good, and he'll be in the playoffs more often than not (maybe not early on with the Colts current roster and the Texans looking like they're going to be controlling the division for a while unless Jake Locker turns out to be a good player), but he won't be making everyone else around him look great like Manning and Brady have done for the past decade.

He'll be a guy who can win you games, but he won't be a generational guy like Manning or Brady that people seem to be so afraid of missing out on. He won't step in and take the Colts back to the playoffs right away and take over games.

Complex
11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Peyton is going to ask for a trade, he isn't going to want to be Luck's tutor and he is not going to be 2nd fiddle to Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. If is he is healthy next year, I am 100 percent sure he would want to play more then 3 years.

princefielder28
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Peyton is going to ask for a trade, he isn't going to want to be Luck's tutor and he is not going to be 2nd fiddle to Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. If is he is healthy next year, I am 100 percent sure he would want to play more then 3 years.

Peyton would never ask for a trade out of Indianapolis. Would he be upset that they aren't using the first pick to immediately improve the team but he understands it's a business and the team would be protecting themself for the next 15 years. Plus I don't believe there's a team out there that would compensate the Colts what they're looking for if they ever put him on the block; who's gonna trade for an aging QB who has a serious neck issue and is one hit from being completely done? (don't say Oakland either)

kalbears13
11-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Does anyone else think it would be ironic if "Luck" went to Cleveland?

Basileus777
11-13-2011, 07:33 PM
They absolutely have to draft Luck with Peyton's health and age concerns. The question is whether or not they should trade Peyton, and considering the state of that team, it wouldn't be all that unreasonable to trade him and go for a complete rebuild. Even if they keep Manning, it's not particularly likely the Colts are going to win a Superbowl in the next few years, that roster has way too many issues.

jrdrylie
11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
You don't draft a quarterback first overall and have him sit for 3 years. The Colts are in a great position to blow things up. Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Robert Mathis, and Jeff Saturday are all in their final year of their contracts. Maybe they could trade Manning and Freeney for a bunch. They have a potentially quality running back in Delone Carter, two young offensive linemen, and with Luck they would have a potential franchise QB. Manning and Freeney could net you two more first round picks in 2012, a great start to the rebuilding process.

soybean
11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I really hate how the colts are the ONLY team actively trying to lose for a high draft pick.

I truly believe that every other team even miami is TRYING to win some games.

BaLLiN
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Just want to point out that Manning >>>>>>>>>>>>>....Luck. Unless they are going out in complete rebuild mode, the colts should keep Manning and let Luck learn the offense from him. Luck is a smart kid (graduated early i think), so there is a possibility that he will catch on quicker than expected, but he is not in the same league as Manning, literally and figuratively.

diabsoule
11-14-2011, 01:30 PM
You don't draft a quarterback first overall and have him sit for 3 years. The Colts are in a great position to blow things up. Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Robert Mathis, and Jeff Saturday are all in their final year of their contracts. Maybe they could trade Manning and Freeney for a bunch. They have a potentially quality running back in Delone Carter, two young offensive linemen, and with Luck they would have a potential franchise QB. Manning and Freeney could net you two more first round picks in 2012, a great start to the rebuilding process.

Only one out of that bunch I'd keep are Freeney and Garcon. The rest are expendable. If they can trade Wayne, Saturday (if anyone would trade for him), Manning (for anything) then they would be in a great position to rebuild the team by having the top picks in a pretty deep draft.

Brothgar
11-14-2011, 01:32 PM
In all reality there is no reason to keep both QBs if Andrew Luck is all he is cracked up to be then you have to choose either the first option or the last one. If they do choose to move Manning should they go full on rebuild mode. Trade as many older pieces as possible? Also before trading Manning they had better be damn well sure that Luck is willing to go there. But if it were me and I had faith in my drafting abilities I would trade which ever gave me the higher value. So if Manning can get 2 firsts and two seconds and a third and Luck only gets me 2 firsts and two seconds then I trade Peyton.

49erNation85
11-14-2011, 01:34 PM
It is not like Colts want to lose it is just there QB just really sucks and so does there defense which is the worst to happen if you star QB gets injured.I just think at this point in the season they have so many more holes then just QB why bother trying to win. Just keep enough fight to make games close if you can and look ahead at draft Luck. They won't care if Manning won't tutor him or not..Should be a fun draft for the first two rounds.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 01:37 PM
If Luck goes to the Colts I hope he pulls a JaMarcus Russell.

Its just not fair *single tear*

Saints-Tigers
11-14-2011, 01:41 PM
If Manning gets cleared to play, and they put him up for trade, they'll have a monstrous haul, even given his age.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 01:42 PM

I'd say Peyton is practically untrade-able and worse yet, because of the financial obstacle to trading him, he would fetch practically nothing in a trade as they try to unload his contract. So your bunch could turnout to be very little, hardly 2 first rounders, more like 2 second rounders.
That's if Peyton is even trade-able since the team acquiring him would likely have to cut 5 or 6 starters to keep under the cap with his salary and what assurances would the doctors have to give for a team to take that chance.
He may simply be untrade-able.
Luck could sit 2 years, we have Rodgers as a perfect example, the cost wouldn't be prohibitive with the rookie salary cap in place.
Personally, I don't think they blow things up at all, they do a GB and keep on ticking.

Saints-Tigers
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone who thinks some team wouldn't spend a fortune to bring in Manning is a Looney Tune.

Teams give up stuff multiple high rounders for Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb, imagine a team in desperate need of a QB with a lot of nice pieces... don't forget how marketable Peyton is.

Dallas357
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
no 0-16 team should ever be allowed to get the #1 pick. What the hell happened to the good ole days, the all or nothing days. When 4-12 was the #1 pick, now these high picking teams are just pathetic.

Dallas357
11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Anyone who thinks some team wouldn't spend a fortune to bring in Manning is a Looney Tune.

Teams give up stuff multiple high rounders for Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb, imagine a team in desperate need of a QB with a lot of nice pieces... don't forget how marketable Peyton is.

Like the Jaguars. That team is strong everywhere except throwing and catching.

Job Reborn
11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Would they really trade Manning inside the division?

Da-Phins
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
**** the Colts. They go from Peyton ******* Manning to the god damn Andrew ******* Luck. What lucky bastards. I hope Peyton wants a trade, then the Dolphins will pounce all over that like a horny man on a hooker. Peyton Manning in a Dolphins uniform with Matt Barkley sitting behind him for a couple years is a wet dream that comes true. Please oh please let it come true.

killxswitch
11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
**** the Colts. They go from Peyton ******* Manning to the god damn Andrew ******* Luck. What lucky bastards. I hope Peyton wants a trade, then the Dolphins will pounce all over that like a horny man on a hooker. Peyton Manning in a Dolphins uniform with Matt Barkley sitting behind him for a couple years is a wet dream that comes true. Please oh please let it come true.

In 5 years I bet Dolphins fans won't be that disappointed that they "had to" take Barkley. I will be very happy with Luck but I don't think he will revolutionize the position or completely live up to the hype.

Halsey
11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
The Colts just can't pass up an elite QB prospect unless they are really, really confident Manning has numerous good years left in his body. I don't give a damn about what people say about building up the defense and the supporting cast around the QB blah, blah, blah. If a team doesn't have a franchise QB in today's NFL, they won't compete for a Super Bowl. I don't care how good the rest of the team is, no franchise QB = no Super Bowl.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 03:07 PM
completely live up to the hype.
It is literally impossible for Luck to live up to the hype.

soybean
11-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I think teams should adopt the lottery system so no one is ever guaranteed the number one pick but instead has a high chance of getting the number one pick.

Though some times it's unfair and leads to conspiracy theorists ie: Chicago - Derrick Rose

Job Reborn
11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I think teams should adopt the lottery system so no one is ever guaranteed the number one pick but instead has a high chance of getting the number one pick.

Though some times it's unfair and leads to conspiracy theorists ie: Chicago - Derrick Rose

Why? Tanking can also backfire. See Ottawa Senators and Alexandre Daigle.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 03:19 PM

How marketable is he???? How solid is his health???? How long can he play with his neck??? Can he even play again with his neck??? Palmer and Kolb were healthy, is Peyton????
Then there is Peyton salary, how many teams are interested in a QB for maybe 2 seasons, whose health is very questionable, when they will have to take on a contract that is monstrous in nature, and will require cutting maybe 5 or 6 starters to just get within the salary cap. Can he be productive for his 2 seasons even if his health is OK on a new team that must rebuild around him after cutting so many regulars to reach the cap figure???
Indy has been cut to the bone in order to pay Peyton, if he isn't healthy or you can only rely on his health for maybe 2 seasons, is it worth it to bring him on with such a narrow window for success or would teams pass on the risk and go after a rookie QB with many teams having success going that route.
With all the risk and money involved, teams would likely not pay a whole lot of picks for Peyton, considering that they are taking a problem off Indy's hands and doing them a favour cap wise.
I think his health and his salary will severely restrict the # of teams seeking him and hold down the compensation to a 2nd rounder at best.
Fans thinking teams will be lining up to take the risk are still thinking of Peyton in his prime and are not being realistic about the health and salary implications of going after him.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm totally opposed to a lottery system. It often backfires and robs the worst team of the best player and makes that team suffer for years. It has done nothing to make the NBA more competitive, I'd say the exact opposite is true.
The NBA is in its current mess because of a lack of competitiveness, why would we want to ruin the NFL in a similar fashion.

CC.SD
11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Seriously **** Indy they better not get Luck. If your infrastructure is so goddamn awful that losing one player transforms you from a Super Bowl contender to the unquestioned first pick in the draft, you ******* blow.

Saints-Tigers
11-14-2011, 03:32 PM
How Marketable is Peyton? lololol

SuperPacker
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I know everyone is saying Luck has been over hyped but all everyone is saying is that hes the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Which he is! No one is saying he is better than Manning but hes better than every quarterback that has been drafted since!

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I know everyone is saying Luck has been over hyped but all everyone is saying is that hes the best prospect since Peyton Manning. Which he is! No one is saying he is better than Manning but hes better than every quarterback that has been drafted since!

All people are saying is that he is the best prospect since Peyton and maybe better than Peyton. Do prospects always pan out, no. Luck's ceiling is high but he may never reach it. There are no guarantees when you have to adjust to the next level, none.
He's not overhyped, he is what he is, a prospect with a very, very high potential for greatness.
If only potential or your ceiling were the be all and end all and guaranteed you anything, but it doesn't. Once the draft is over and a pro career starts, your draft status means zip and you either adjust to pro ball or you disappear no matter where you were drafted.
Luck will be the 1st player drafted at the next draft in April, after that it is all up to him.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope Luck pulls an Elway and wont play for indy. i just hate indy.

SuperPacker
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM

Dont we all!!

I mean going from one great quarterback to another is just unfair...

*Cough* Favre/Rodgers *Cough*

indyfan1985
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Then what do you call going from Favre to Rodgers dumbass!!! The Pack went from one great QB to another so why cant Indy?

soybean
11-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Then what do you call going from Favre to Rodgers dumbass!!! The Pack went from one great QB to another so why cant Indy?

I think the difference is how the teams would be going about acquiring said qb.

I mean Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers, they didnt tank the season to get him.

SuperPacker
11-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the difference is how the teams would be going about acquiring said qb.

I mean Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers, they didnt tank the season to get him.

^^^ well said...

Oh yeah have you ever heard of sarcasim? I even put it in bold so you could see it. God you dumbass!!!

Babylon
11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
In 5 years I bet Dolphins fans won't be that disappointed that they "had to" take Barkley. I will be very happy with Luck but I don't think he will revolutionize the position or completely live up to the hype.

I'm starting to agree with that logic. I really like Andrew Luck but i'm starting to see another Matt Ryan. What makes it a little hard to judge is how mediocre his WRs are. At the end of the day i think the arm isnt elite and not sure are his deep throws.

Having said all that i think it might be wise for the Colts to move a healty Peyton to make room for the future QB there in Indy.

Brothgar
11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Dont we all!!

I mean going from one great quarterback to another is just unfair...

*Cough* Favre/Rodgers *Cough*

Wait Aaron Rodgers? The QB of the Packers?

Bucs_Rule
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Even if Manning were healthy the Colts supporting cast is so terrible that even with great drafting the Colts would need a few years of picks and development to contend. By that point its unlikely Manning will still be playing. And chances aren't good that Polian would draft well anyway.

A reason to keep Manning around is to help sell tickets, but with all the Luck hype people will pay to see him. The other is to help develop him, but it costs $35 million to keep him next season, too much for a tutor.

I could see a team trading for Manning as long as he agrees to reduce the $35 million price tag.

Dallas357
11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
The good news is the colts roster is horrible. So even with luck or manning they won't be getting to a superbowl anytime soon. And by then Wayne and Freeney will be done or very very close. Their drafting lately has been very suspect to me.

BaLLiN
11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
this thread is missing something...

if the colts were to draft Luck and trade Manning, whats the compensation?

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I dont' really think Manning has much trade value right now. Though the Colts will eat a huge horsecock of a cap hit if Manning is not released before the new league year. So if they pay him and then trade him, and assuming he is demonstrably healthy, his trade value should go up. Probably at least a 1st rounder. But that situation doesn't seem realistic. I think the Colts would just keep him.

descendency
11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Manning is 36, injured, and the highest paid player in the NFL.

Any team that trades for him might as well play Russian Roulette with a 9mm. He's far more valuable to the Colts, even if they have to eat his contract in the end.

The biggest issue for Indy is whether they cut him this season, before his major "guarantees" kick in.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Manning is 36, injured, and the highest paid player in the NFL.

Any team that trades for him might as well play Russian Roulette with a 9mm. He's far more valuable to the Colts, even if they have to eat his contract in the end.

The biggest issue for Indy is whether they cut him this season, before his major "guarantees" kick in.

I think they have to cut him before March 2012. Should give them plenty of time to work him out in practice situations. If he can't practice, I think they have to cut him or at least rework his contract to a much lower number.

cvv84
11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
I think they have to cut him before March 2012. Should give them plenty of time to work him out in practice situations. If he can't practice, I think they have to cut him or at least rework his contract to a much lower number.

Exactally, and thats what alot of people aren't seeing here. If they pay his bonus the Colts or any team thats trades for him is on the hook for all that money.

The Colts need to cut Manning and sign him to a new 2-3 year deal and draft Luck. Hopefully they can get some more talent in that time or Luck could start his career like Sam Bradford.

prock
11-15-2011, 08:34 AM
I want to take a minute and give due to how awesome Breed's sig is.

Anyway, they should sit him behind Manning, that way they could have the two best quarterbacks of all time on one roster.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 08:58 AM
How marketable is he???? How solid is his health???? How long can he play with his neck??? Can he even play again with his neck??? Palmer and Kolb were healthy, is Peyton????
Then there is Peyton salary, how many teams are interested in a QB for maybe 2 seasons, whose health is very questionable, when they will have to take on a contract that is monstrous in nature, and will require cutting maybe 5 or 6 starters to just get within the salary cap. Can he be productive for his 2 seasons even if his health is OK on a new team that must rebuild around him after cutting so many regulars to reach the cap figure???
Indy has been cut to the bone in order to pay Peyton, if he isn't healthy or you can only rely on his health for maybe 2 seasons, is it worth it to bring him on with such a narrow window for success or would teams pass on the risk and go after a rookie QB with many teams having success going that route.
With all the risk and money involved, teams would likely not pay a whole lot of picks for Peyton, considering that they are taking a problem off Indy's hands and doing them a favour cap wise.
I think his health and his salary will severely restrict the # of teams seeking him and hold down the compensation to a 2nd rounder at best.
Fans thinking teams will be lining up to take the risk are still thinking of Peyton in his prime and are not being realistic about the health and salary implications of going after him.

I see what your saying here, and logically it makes sense. However, how many times have we seen a team pick up BRETT MOTHER ******* FAVRE for one season despite his health, despite him being a short term option, despite what he did last year or what he would cost.

I might eat some **** for this... I think it comes down to what the Colts will do versus what they should do.

I believe that the Colts pick Luck and essentially Polian rides his coat tails for the next decade like he did to Manning.

However, I believe that the Colts SHOULD trade... both the pick and Manning (if possible which I believe it is).

Let's face it, the team sucks, the loss of one player should not turn you from a Playoff team to an 0-16 team. This is evidence that the rest of the team would have trouble against some college teams.

While Luck is certainly one of those "can't miss prospects", I'm not taking that away from him, he won't be the last franchise QB to come along, and teams have been winning SB without a Peyton or a Brady for a long time, Dynasties have been created without one.

Now here me out: If you trade the Luck pick for a queens ransom (We have seen two firsts for Palmer, hell we have seen a queens ransom for a WR in last years draft) You put yourself in a position of having what is probably still a high first this year as well as maybe multiple picks in late rounds, 2 1sts next year (and possibly still multiple picks in later rounds). You might just have a chance at turning this organization around faster than anyone could have imagined. You could still get a Franchise QB next year, maybe even this year. All this plus whatever you could get for Manning.

However, all this is for not as Jim Irsay and Polian will undoubtedly **** it up in one way or another.

holt_bruce81
11-15-2011, 09:29 AM
They'd be dumb for not taking Luck, right?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-15-2011, 09:42 AM
They'd be dumb for not taking Luck, right?

In short, yes. The team has looked worse than i could ever imagine this year but deep down i like to believe they still are not this bad even if they go 0-16 and get the number one pick. There are some building blocks in place right now that would be a good time to draft luck. Defensively I like our linebackers especially Pat Angerer. Jerraud Powers is a good young corner and Drake Nevis showed a lot of promise. On the offensive line i think we have some keepers in Anthony Castonzo and Ben Ijalana. Hopefully they will allow us to finally establish a consistent running game, i think Delone Carter has what it takes to be a solid back. If we can land Luck, Alameda Ta’amu, and a safety it will have us heading in the right direction. The defense just needs to be completely overhauled. Oh and force Curtis Painter out of the NFL into a Nickelback cover band.

Razor
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Apparently Manning is fine with the Colts drafting a QB. He should be, he's done in a few years (maybe even after this year, who knows) and should want the best for this team going forward considering the fact that they just paid him a ******** of money even though he's injured.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/15/polian-manning-fine-with-drafting-a-quarterback/

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I just don't see how drafting "another Peyton" would be advisable, I see the logic and understand that he is a can't miss prospect, but aren't we all damning the Colts for their actions over the last decade in having a Peyton to cover up their deficiencies yet in the same breath you would tell them to draft another top QB into the same situation as Manning?

This team NEEDS a major overhaul and drafting Luck into the same situation isn't the answer IMO

SuperPacker
11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I just don't see how drafting "another Peyton" would be advisable, I see the logic and understand that he is a can't miss prospect, but aren't we all damning the Colts for their actions over the last decade in having a Peyton to cover up their deficiencies yet in the same breath you would tell them to draft another top QB into the same situation as Manning?

This team NEEDS a major overhaul and drafting Luck into the same situation isn't the answer IMO

This is a great point! Imagine if this team was half decent when they had Manning. They would of won multiple superbowls. Everyone says that you need a quarterback to win the superbowl but the Colts are the best example of that you need a good team aswel.

princefielder28
11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
This is a great point! Imagine if this team was half decent when they had Manning. They would of won multiple superbowls. Everyone says that you need a quarterback to win the superbowl but the Colts are the best example of that you need a good team aswel.

There's no denying you need a good team as well but it is sure as hell easier to build a team around a franchise QB than to build a team and then stumble upon a franchise QB

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 10:28 AM

To me it's not either/or. Drafting Luck is not going to keep the team from building a better defense or adjusting their roster building strategy. Likewise, trading Luck for lots of picks does not guarantee that the Colts will actually do anything worthwhile with the picks. Especially if Bill Polian is still in charge of the team next April.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Yes, and not to undermine the importance of a QB but my point is that you don't NEED a Peyton or a Brady to do so. It's definitely nice, but as has been proven by this very team, a solid team with a 2nd tier QB is better than a lacking team with a top 3 QB.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 10:35 AM
To me it's not either/or. Drafting Luck is not going to keep the team from building a better defense or adjusting their roster building strategy. Likewise, trading Luck for lots of picks does not guarantee that the Colts will actually do anything worthwhile with the picks. Especially if Bill Polian is still in charge of the team next April.

Yes haha, in my original post I believe I addressed the fact that all my theorizing is for not as BP will inevitably botch the whole thing up regardless of which way they go.

This thread should really be poll about keeping BP or not... to which the answer is that he should be lynched by an angry mob and his head placed on a pike outside of Lucas Oil stadium as a signal of the Colts victorious season (the one that got rid of Bill)

descendency
11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
There should only be 2 QBs on Indy's draft board:
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill (second round)

I'm not a Tannehill fan, but I can see how he might develop into a starting QB that can win some games. The only way you don't draft Luck is if Manning is healthy. If Manning is healthy, you can bait someone into trading away a franchise for Luck and then grab Tannehill way too early (top of the second, or even trade back into the first). Let him learn from Manning. You could probably make the same kind of argument for Robert Griffin III, but I have a feeling he will go a lot higher than expected (especially if Barkley stays).

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
There should only be 2 QBs on Indy's draft board:
Andrew Luck
Ryan Tannehill (second round)

I'm not a Tannehill fan, but I can see how he might develop into a starting QB that can win some games. The only way you don't draft Luck is if Manning is healthy. If Manning is healthy, you can bait someone into trading away a franchise for Luck and then grab Tannehill way too early (top of the second, or even trade back into the first). Let him learn from Manning. You could probably make the same kind of argument for Robert Griffin III, but I have a feeling he will go a lot higher than expected (especially if Barkley stays).

Why? Why do you draft Luck into the same situation as Manning if he can't go?

I state it again: If we are all talking about how poorly the Colts have managed their team for a decade or so, that one player is the difference between playoffs and 0-16 then why would you put Luck in the same situation? Even if Luck lives up to the hype and they go from 0-16 back to the playoffs, you haven't changed anything.

You have an opportunity here to trade away 1 pick and gain a large # of picks over the next two years with which to rebuild. Meanwhile, you can still get a franchise QB that isn't named Luck AS WELL AS some other key building blocks for your team.

princefielder28
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM

I state it again: If we are all talking about how poorly the Colts have managed their team for a decade or so, that one player is the difference between playoffs and 0-16 then why would you put Luck in the same situation? Even if Luck lives up to the hype and they go from 0-16 back to the playoffs, you haven't changed anything.

You have an opportunity here to trade away 1 pick and gain a large # of picks over the next two years with which to rebuild. Meanwhile, you can still get a franchise QB that isn't named Luck AS WELL AS some other key building blocks for your team.

who's that franchise QB you speak of? there's no guarantee of that whatsoever if they pass on Luck

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 11:47 AM
who's that franchise QB you speak of? there's no guarantee of that whatsoever if they pass on Luck

If you want to go there... There is no guarantee that Luck becomes a franchise QB.

Do you really think that if Barkley stayed a year, that next draft people wouldn't be saying the same thing about him?: "You can't miss on a chance to pick up a franchise signal caller."

Is Luck going to be the last franchise QB to ever come out of college? the last of a dying breed? No

He is good, and probably will be a franchise QB, but the team that drafts Luck is not going to win every SB from now until he retires and their will be other franchise QB's to come out.

Unless of course, your one of those who thinks that Luck will win: Not one, Not two... SEVEN SB IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON

princefielder28
11-15-2011, 11:52 AM
If you want to go there... There is no guarantee that Luck becomes a franchise QB.

Do you really think that if Barkley stayed a year, that next draft people wouldn't be saying the same thing about him?: "You can't miss on a chance to pick up a franchise signal caller."

Is Luck going to be the last franchise QB to ever come out of college? the last of a dying breed? No

He is good, and probably will be a franchise QB, but the team that drafts Luck is not going to win every SB from now until he retires and their will be other franchise QB's to come out.

Unless of course, your one of those who thinks that Luck will win: Not one, Not two... SEVEN SB IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON

There will be other franchise QBs but if the Colts go the route that you suggest where they build the team up then go after that franchise QB, how available will a franchise QB be for them when they're more than likely turning in 6-9 win seasons. I think the Vikings are a perfect example of that recently. They built up a solid core of players but the one thing that always held them back was not having that franchise QB. Brett came in and gave them that run but that was short lived and then they felt obligated to reach for what they perceive to be a franchise QB with Ponder at #12 this past draft.

And there is no guarantee that Luck becomes a franchise QB but with the information people have available to them at this point, all signs point to him translating very well to the NFL and becoming that "franchise" QB.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
SVM in either situation you're looking at a rebuilding period. However, with Luck (and assuming Manning out of the picture) you have a ton of cap space to sign free agents to quickly bolster the team. Picking Luck does not doom the team to the same roster mismanagement that has gone on since 2006.

Halsey
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM

That's exactly why you want an elite QB prospect. A franchise QB makes the whole team better. Why would you pass on a chance to get another guy who can potentially boost an organization for another 10 to 20 years...

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:09 PM
There will be other franchise QBs but if the Colts go the route that you suggest where they build the team up then go after that franchise QB, how available will a franchise QB be for them when they're more than likely turning in 6-9 win seasons. I think the Vikings are a perfect example of that recently. They built up a solid core of players but the one thing that always held them back was not having that franchise QB. Brett came in and gave them that run but that was short lived and then they felt obligated to reach for what they perceive to be a franchise QB with Ponder at #12 this past draft.

And there is no guarantee that Luck becomes a franchise QB but with the information people have available to them at this point, all signs point to him translating very well to the NFL and becoming that "franchise" QB.

You can point to the Vikings as an example but I can point to THE COLTS as a counter to drafting a franchise QB without a solid team around him.

In the same era as Manning, arguably the best QB in the league at times (not trying to start that argument up but just hear me out here), Ben Roethlisberger won 3 SB's. Why? He had an actual team around him.

Peyton > Ben however the Steelers have more SB's.

Now Ben was an 11th overall pick, 6-10 (6-9 is not a possible record) would put a team in the top 15 of picks next year.

I know that it isn't a guarantee either way, but if Luck lives up to the hype, and manages to put them back into the playoffs, the same argument can be made that the lower picks would not allow them to build a solid team.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:12 PM
That's exactly why you want an elite QB prospect. A franchise QB makes the whole team better. Why would you pass on a chance to get another guy who can potentially boost an organization for another 10 to 20 years...

How many SB's did they gain while Peyton was covering their deficiencies? It's because they didn't have a team around him, as is evidenced by this year.

Halsey
11-15-2011, 12:17 PM
How many SB's did they gain while Peyton was covering their deficiencies? It's because they didn't have a team around him, as is evidenced by this year.

The number of Super Bowls the Colts franchise has won without a franchise QB: 0

The Colts were irrelevant for years and years and years between Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM

The number of Super Bowls the Colts franchise has won without a franchise QB: 0

The Colts were irrelevant for years and years and years between Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning.

Yes they won one SB with Peyton, however, in the mean time Big Ben (a lesser QB) won 3 SB and went to more because why? He had a team around him.

Halsey
11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes they won one SB with Peyton, however, in the mean time Big Ben (a lesser QB) won 3 SB and went to more because why? He had a team around him.

The number of Super Bowls the Steelers have won: 6

The number of Super Bowls the Steelers have won without a franchise QB: 0

You're trying to make an argument that a franchise QB somehow stops a franchise from building up the rest of the team. That argument holds no water. Peyton Manning didn't stop the Colts from doing a better job of building up the roster.

descendency
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Why draft Peyton Manning in 1998?

edit: Peyton Manning didn't make the Colts draft Jerry Hughes or a number of other first round busts recently.

The Colts are this bad because they haven't replaced veteran talent with young talent. They're having to compete on the free market for their talent. The Colts have squandered picks. It had nothing to do with having a QB.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM

You're trying to make an argument that a franchise QB somehow stops a franchise from building up the rest of the team. That argument holds no water. Peyton Manning didn't stop the Colts from doing a better job of building up the roster.

I actually never said this.

Maybe if you read the whole conversation you would know that my argument is that you could use the Luck pick to build your team and there will be other franchise QB's to come through the draft after Luck believe it or not.

My argument about Ben vs Peyton is that Peyton at one point or another was regarded to be the best QB in the league and is definitely better than Big Ben. However, been has more SB's because he had a team around him.

The point being that teams win SB's all the time without a Peyton or a Brady. Yes you still for the most part need a franchise QB but just because you pass up on Luck doesn't mean you couldn't do it with another QB.

However, if you trade the Luck pick and build a team with a different QB you may still fair better.

Therefor YOUR argument holds no water, for that matter its not even relevant to the conversation at hand.

So please read the whole conversation because I have neither the time nor patience to continuously repeat myself.

Hell you might even learn a thing or two

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Why draft Peyton Manning in 1998?

edit: Peyton Manning didn't make the Colts draft Jerry Hughes or a number of other first round busts recently.

The Colts are this bad because they haven't replaced veteran talent with young talent. They're having to compete on the free market for their talent. The Colts have squandered picks. It had nothing to do with having a QB.

I will be the first to tell you that Polian is the main reason the Colts have been held back (in fact I did tell you... earlier in the thread)

My argument AGAIN AND FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME is not that having a franchise QB holds you back. I am merely talking about the possibility of trading Luck and gaining more picks to build a team and STILL getting a franchise QB not named Luck

Halsey
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
You don't pass up an elite QB prospect so you can build up the rest of your team and then try to get another QB later. That kind of logic only works on message boards. QB is the most important single position in the NFL. The best thing the Colts can do to build their team is get the best QB they can get when they can get him.

SuperPacker
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Sweater-vest mafia is right!

descendency
11-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Odds of winning the lottery > Odds of finding the next Tom Brady in the draft.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM

My point is that you don't need a Brady or a Peyton to win the SB

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
You don't pass up an elite QB prospect so you can build up the rest of your team and then try to get another QB later. That kind of logic only works on message boards. QB is the most important single position in the NFL. The best thing the Colts can do to build their team is get the best QB they can get when they can get him.

Thats cute. Did you copy and paste that from somewhere else? I haven't heard that before.

Is Luck going to be the last elite QB prospect? NEXT YEAR there will be another QB or two who are franchise QB's and they will say "you can't pass up on a possible franchise signal caller" and they year after that and the year after that and the year after that. They may not be as good as Luck turns out, they may be better. The point is the team that drafts Luck isn't going to win every SB from now until the time he retires.

AGAIN: Unless of course, your one of those who thinks that Luck will win: Not one, Not two... SEVEN SB IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON.

Job Reborn
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Are you telling me there will not be another Tom Brady in the next 58000 years?

descendency
11-15-2011, 01:10 PM
My point is that you don't need a Brady or a Peyton to win the SB

You're making it harder than it has to be though by doing that. The teams that win Super Bowls are balanced on both sides. If you take away one of those components. The only team that did that successfully was the 02 Bucs.

Are you telling me there will not be another Tom Brady in the next 58000 years?

Someone wins the lottery yearly.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM

You are making the argument that not drafting luck somehow prevents the Colts from having a franchise QB it seems to me that almost every draft class has at least one. The question ultimately becomes chase the championship or chase the QB.

Halsey
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
There's always people who can't see the reality of how QB centric the NFL is. If the Colts finish with the #1 pick, they are going to stay at #1 and take Luck. You can come up with as much flawed logic as you want. We see it every year from people who don't get that the worst team will take a QB at #1. The only way the Colts don't take Luck at #1 is if Manning shows major improvement with his neck and some team makes the Colts a huge offer to trade for the #1 pick. So basically, the Colts are taking Luck at #1.

Job Reborn
11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
You're making it harder than it has to be though by doing that. The teams that win Super Bowls are balanced on both sides. If you take away one of those components. The only team that did that successfully was the 02 Bucs.

You were talking odds. For each lottery, you have a 1/15 000 000 chance of winning.

Halsey
11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
You are making the argument that not drafting luck somehow prevents the Colts from having a franchise QB.

What I'm saying is that you don't pass up an elite QB prospect when you need one and have a chance to get one. It's not a hard concept and one that reality proves to be true over and over again. Teams can literally go a decade or more without a franchise QB. The Colts have experienced just such a scenario and they were irrelevant. It's just dumb to pass up the chance to get one as talented as Luck. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM
There's always people who can't see the reality of how QB centric the NFL is. If the Colts finish with the #1 pick, they are going to stay at #1 and take Luck. You can come up with as much flawed logic as you want. We see it every year from people who don't get that the worst team will take a QB at #1. The only way the Colts don't take Luck at #1 is if Manning shows major improvement with his neck and some team makes the Colts a huge offer to trade for the #1 pick. So basically, the Colts are taking Luck at #1.

Obviously if Peyton doesn't seem to be 100% after the season then the choice is obvious. No one is denying that unless there is an amazing offer on the table. The question is if Peyton is healthy I would assume.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 01:41 PM

I can't help but laugh... YES the NFL is very QB centric, I'm not arguing that. NO ONE is saying that you should try to do it without a franchise QB. I am saying that the particular QB in question does not have to be Luck. You act as though passing on Luck is giving up any hope of having a franchise QB.

Its like talking to a wall.

So then someone should be able to find a Brady every year? :P

Halsey
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
You're right, the Colts don't have to take Luck. They could settle for a lesser talent at the game's most important position. That would be dumb as hell, but they could do it.

The Colts have the advantage of experience, however. They got a trade package in return for the rights to John Elway. They spent the next 15 years being irrelevant.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
You're right, the Colts don't have to take Luck. They could settle for a lesser talent at the game's most important position. That would be dumb as hell, but they could do it.

The Colts have the advantage of experience, however. They got a trade package in return for the rights to John Elway. They spent the next 15 years being irrelevant.

But lets face REAL facts here. The Colts have to deal either Peyton or Luck. Luck WILL NOT sit behind Peyton or anyone else for that matter. So in the grand scheme of things we will know the answer by March.

niel89
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
But lets face REAL facts here. The Colts have to deal either Peyton or Luck. Luck WILL NOT sit behind Peyton or anyone else for that matter. So in the grand scheme of things we will know the answer by March.

Why is that a fact? I don't see Luck sitting for a year or 2 as something that is completely impossible.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I think it's very possible. Seems to me the options for a rookie trying to hold out are not as wide-open as they were for Elway or even Manning.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Why is that a fact? I don't see Luck sitting for a year or 2 as something that is completely impossible.

There is already talk of Luck pulling an Eli Manning/ John Elway I don't think these are 100% baseless. Bad organization OR lack of starting ability I think will make Luck think about doing it.

gpngc
11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
There is already talk of Luck pulling an Eli Manning/ John Elway I don't think these are 100% baseless. Bad organization OR lack of starting ability I think will make Luck think about doing it.

Where are these talks? This would make all involved most happy.

Also, Luck could just return to school... eh probably not.

If he does pull an Eli, I would hope Seattle would get involved. Too bad they are too good and will probably be picking like in the 10-15. FUUUUUUUUUU

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Where are these talks?

Find the like 3 threads that are talking about this and I believe an ESPN story IIRC

CC.SD
11-15-2011, 03:42 PM

And that someone is me.

niel89
11-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Where are these talks? This would make all involved most happy.

Also, Luck could just return to school... eh probably not.

If he does pull an Eli, I would hope Seattle would get involved. Too bad they are too good and will probably be picking like in the 10-15. FUUUUUUUUUU

It's all been hypothetical. Luck has done nothing to indicate he would demand a trade. It is a possibility though because of his high value, the Colts already having Manning, and his father has NFL ties similar to Archie Manning. No real evidence but because it is such a rare possibility it will be discussed.

I really want him to though. I would love to see a bidding war over Luck.

SuperPacker
11-15-2011, 03:55 PM

John Elway>Andrew Luck

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
And that someone is me.

You drafted Tom Brady??? :P

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Colts went to the Supebowl two seasons ago, playoffs one year ago. He might believe all that hype about Polian being great. Polian will tell him its a stronng team that just packed it in when Manning went down. That with Luck's ability the team will be again be competing for a superbowl next year. Team just needs a leader that the team believes can lead them and Luck is that guy.

Based on the organizations track records with almost always making playoffs, wins, recent Superbowl its way stronger then any other team that could trade for him. Compare that to Miami's 1 playoff appearence in about a decade.

Indy is a small market, but Manning is in tons of commercials despite that. If the Colts go with Luck Manning at most will stay a season.

The only significant drawback that could scare him off is playing behind Manning legacy. Polian will bring up Rodgers overcoming that.

I expect the Colts are more appealing to him then other high drafting teams.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Colts went to the Supebowl two seasons ago, playoffs one year ago. He might believe all that hype about Polian being great. Polian will tell him its a stronng team that just packed it in when Manning went down. That with Luck's ability the team will be again be competing for a superbowl next year. Team just needs a leader that the team believes can lead them and Luck is that guy.

Based on the organizations track records with almost always making playoffs, wins, recent Superbowl its way stronger then any other team that could trade for him. Compare that to Miami's 1 playoff appearence in about a decade.

Indy is a small market, but Manning is in tons of commercials despite that. If the Colts go with Luck Manning at most will stay a season.

The only significant drawback that could scare him off is playing behind Manning legacy. Polian will bring up Rodgers overcoming that.

I expect the Colts are more appealing to him then other high drafting teams.

If the Colts go 0-16 and Polian still has his job I call shenanigans.

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Might as well call it now. Polian has Jim Irsay hypnotized like he has the competition committee.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 06:08 PM

and Jim Irsay is just the drunk to let him keep his job

Iamcanadian
11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Might as well call it now. Polian has Jim Irsay hypnotized like he has the competition committee.

Yeah, a very successful career does hypnotize people into believing you know what you are doing.

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
You don't draft the next Manning because you might win 12 games for 10 straight years, and pick up a superbowl win (and get to another)??

Not following here Sweater-vest....

The real key is if the Colts even feel as strongly about Luck as some of us do. Maybe they see something in one of the other QBs.... you never know how teams feel, look at the fast one they pulled with Edge, when Ricky was like the consensus greatest RB of all time.

Maybe they don't feel Luck is a lock for dominance, and pull in multiple firsts and take another QB.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
You don't draft the next Manning because you might win 12 games for 10 straight years, and pick up a superbowl win (and get to another)??

Not following here Sweater-vest....

The real key is if the Colts even feel as strongly about Luck as some of us do. Maybe they see something in one of the other QBs.... you never know how teams feel, look at the fast one they pulled with Edge, when Ricky was like the consensus greatest RB of all time.

Maybe they don't feel Luck is a lock for dominance, and pull in multiple firsts and take another QB.

I'm not sure if your disagreeing with me or not here haha?

I'm saying I think they should trade the pick to get a slew of picks over the next year or so with which to rebuild the team. Some of the last page or so was what branched from my original point

here was my original post in the thread.

I see what your saying here, and logically it makes sense. However, how many times have we seen a team pick up BRETT MOTHER ******* FAVRE for one season despite his health, despite him being a short term option, despite what he did last year or what he would cost.

I might eat some **** for this... I think it comes down to what the Colts will do versus what they should do.

I believe that the Colts pick Luck and essentially Polian rides his coat tails for the next decade like he did to Manning.

However, I believe that the Colts SHOULD trade... both the pick and Manning (if possible which I believe it is).

Let's face it, the team sucks, the loss of one player should not turn you from a Playoff team to an 0-16 team. This is evidence that the rest of the team would have trouble against some college teams.

While Luck is certainly one of those "can't miss prospects", I'm not taking that away from him, he won't be the last franchise QB to come along, and teams have been winning SB without a Peyton or a Brady for a long time, Dynasties have been created without one.

Now here me out: If you trade the Luck pick for a queens ransom (We have seen two firsts for Palmer, hell we have seen a queens ransom for a WR in last years draft) You put yourself in a position of having what is probably still a high first this year as well as maybe multiple picks in late rounds, 2 1sts next year (and possibly still multiple picks in later rounds). You might just have a chance at turning this organization around faster than anyone could have imagined. You could still get a Franchise QB next year, maybe even this year. All this plus whatever you could get for Manning.

However, all this is for not as Jim Irsay and Polian will undoubtedly **** it up in one way or another.

Bulldogs
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread. I found this interesting, not sure how trustworthy Chris Myers is but sad if true. I really want to see Peyton play at least one more time.

https://twitter.com/#!/benmaller/status/140937368046809088