PDA

View Full Version : THrough all the smokescreens and rumors..this is who i think the Lions take

Jagonsucker
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
If they are able to trade down..Laron Landry will be the pick. Theres many good DEs and linebackers in this draft so I think they will address those needs later.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Where would he play SS, FS, or CB? Yes I know he's a safety, but with his speed and our current roster where would YOU put him at?

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 03:22 PM
If they are able to trade down..Laron Landry will be the pick. Theres many good DEs and linebackers in this draft so I think they will address those needs later.There are a few good MLBs, and I don't think theres one that's close to Willis.

I agree that there are many good DEs and I think we can get a great pass-rusher in round 2. I'd hate to pass on Willis, though.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Did anyone read the article on Patrick Willis from ESPN the Mag. from Aug-Dec(not sure on which issue)? He is the type of high character player the Lions salivate over. Very impresive young man!

detroit4life
03-26-2007, 04:02 PM
i dont think they're looking at landry to be honest if htey were interested in him marinelli probably would have atended LSU's pro day but instead opted to go to MSU's. I know distance was probably a factor but if they were interested im sure they would have gone down and take a look at Russell and Landry over Stanton

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
They'll target Willis first. They didn't want Sean Taylor the year they ended up with Roy Williams. I know he went one pick before their's, but they didn't feel it was a need then, they likely won't now (and things are no better at safety than they were then).

That said, we could do a lot worse than Landry. I wouldn't complain if we got him somehow.

woodnick
03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I heard that the Lions were locked into Taylor and were desprately hoping the Skins would choose Winslow.

Bootland27
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I actually think its Willis they're really after, not Landry. If you think about it, after Willis, Beason is the only player who they'll likely target in the 2nd rd. There is no guarantee that even Beason will be around by that time. But there are like 4 safeties this year who have enormous potential (Landry, Nelson, Griffin and Merriweather). Either Griffin or Merriweather will be around and there isn't that much of a drop off in talent or potential, compared to the dropoff after Beason should he be gone.

Scotty D
03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
So assuming a trade down. Would you guys want Willis/Merriweather or Landry/Beason. I can't decide.

Xiomera
03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
So assuming a trade down. Would you guys want Willis/Merriweather or Landry/Beason. I can't decide.

Landry/Beason, IMO. Assuming we feel that Beason can play MLB in our scheme.

But I don't think Beason is gonna be there at 34.

Scotty D
03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Landry/Beason, IMO. Assuming we feel that Beason can play MLB in our scheme.

But I don't think Beason is gonna be there at 34.

I agree that would be the better combo, but as you said Beason stock is on the rise.

TacticaLion
03-26-2007, 06:35 PM

I'll be honest... Willis/Meriweather, hands down. Landry is a beast and Beason will be good, but I see Willis being a complete monster... and Meriweather will be oustanding.

I'd take either... but my vote goes to Willis/Meriweather.

detroit4life
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
id take willis and merriweather just because willis IMO is much better than Beason while Landry and Merriweather aren't all that far apart if you take away Merriweathers stomping in that fight

DeMonikk1
03-26-2007, 08:12 PM
No doubt, Willis /merriweather.....but I like Landry alot..but P Willis is going to be a beast..

LIONHE4RT
03-26-2007, 08:15 PM
If we get both Willis and Merriweather I'l be grinning ear to ear for a month!!!! Would be two huge contributers to our Defense. I believe Willis and Merriweather are pro bowl caliber players. Landry probably will be but I'm not quite sold on Beason yet.

WMD
03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
I want Patrick Willis and Brandon Meriweather, and I have for a long damn time.. Both are great players. Willis will be our defensive leader, I think he's going to be the next Ray Lewis. Brandon Meriweather is a Headhunter, he can do pretty much everything you want in a safety. I think in the case of a player like him, if you want to greatly improve your Secondary you HAVE to look past his character issues. They weren't the smartest decisions he could've made at the time, but they were at least semi-provoked.. I wouldn't bank on him doing anything like that while in the NFL.

In the end though, I think the Lions will decide to pass on Meriweather because of his character concerns..

(Post #8,000!)

Bootland27
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
In the end though, I think the Lions will decide to pass on Meriweather because of his character concerns..
(Post #8,000!)

Does he actually have a history of character concerns besides being suspended after his part in the brawl??????

WMD
03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Does he actually have a history of character concerns besides being suspended after his part in the brawl??????

He shot back at someone who shot his roommate/teammate Willie Cooper last year... He did own and use his gun legally, though..

ironman4579
03-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I would prefer Willis/Merriweather. My feeling is a stud MLB is going to affect a game more than a stud safety, although I've always been partial to the defensive backfield myself. So getting Willis over Beason will help the defense more than Landry over Merriweather IMO. Plus I think Merriweather will be a stud. In terms of character concerns, I'm not really even sure they are huge concerns. In the gun incident, he was protecting(avenging?) a teammate with a legally owned firearm. The brawl did look bad, I admit, but I think that whole thing was out of control. Basically everyone on both teams was fighting. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if Beason was also punching or kicking someone, he just might not have been caught on tape the way Merriweather was. I'd love to have this guy.

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I would prefer Willis/Merriweather. My feeling is a stud MLB is going to affect a game more than a stud safety, although I've always been partial to the defensive backfield myself. So getting Willis over Beason will help the defense more than Landry over Merriweather IMO. Plus I think Merriweather will be a stud. In terms of character concerns, I'm not really even sure they are huge concerns. In the gun incident, he was protecting(avenging?) a teammate with a legally owned firearm. The brawl did look bad, I admit, but I think that whole thing was out of control. Basically everyone on both teams was fighting. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if Beason was also punching or kicking someone, he just might not have been caught on tape the way Merriweather was. I'd love to have this guy.
Agreed.

Good post... minus the Beason speculation (I'd hate to suggest something to lower a player's reputation from mere speculation).

ironman4579
03-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Agreed.

Good post... minus the Beason speculation (I'd hate to suggest something to lower a player's reputation from mere speculation).

True. I wasn't trying to lower Beason's reputation in anyway. I was simply trying to say that I think Merriweather gets hit alot harder for the incident than he probably should.

asmitty45
03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
It's willis all the way, if somehow he is off the board and landry is still around (assuming a trade down) then i agree he'd be a good selection

Bootland27
03-27-2007, 01:09 PM
In terms of character concerns, I'm not really even sure they are huge concerns. In the gun incident, he was protecting(avenging?) a teammate with a legally owned firearm. The brawl did look bad, I admit, but I think that whole thing was out of control. Basically everyone on both teams was fighting. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if Beason was also punching or kicking someone, he just might not have been caught on tape the way Merriweather was. I'd love to have this guy.

Yeah me too. People make mistakes in life and all of a sudden they're labeled as "damaged goods." Just look at Kenny Rogers and what was said of him after the cameraman incident. Eventually, everyone saw that he was great in the locker room and helped the tigers get to the World Series. Same thing with Merriweather. As far as I know there hasn't been any indication that he's a cancer in the locker room.

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
True. I wasn't trying to lower Beason's reputation in anyway. I was simply trying to say that I think Merriweather gets hit alot harder for the incident than he probably should.
Right. I know you wern't... and I saw your point. Hell, it was probably true.

Meriweather has a lot of talent... he and Willis would be outstanding.

Mythos
03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure Meriweather would be around in the second if it weren't for the helmet swinging incident. I'm still not sure he will be as safeties have been going higher.

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure Meriweather would be around in the second if it weren't for the helmet swinging incident. I'm still not sure he will be as safeties have been going higher.

Which is great news for us. You're right, though... he definately could've been a 1st round pick without the "character concerns".

He'd be a great pick.

detroit4life
03-27-2007, 06:52 PM
i think they should seriosuly consider taking merriweather. In the second round he is great value and will be a good player in the nfl no doubt i dont really see him having bad problems the fight was a thing that i think he just got cought up in it but its hard to look past his skill hes one of the best DB's in this draft. The problem is i dont think they will be looking at adressing that position this year i think they are oin to stick with kennedy for the year which is a shame since merriweather could be a huge cornerstone of this defense

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
i think they should seriosuly consider taking merriweather. In the second round he is great value and will be a good player in the nfl no doubt i dont really see him having bad problems the fight was a thing that i think he just got cought up in it but its hard to look past his skill hes one of the best DB's in this draft. The problem is i dont think they will be looking at adressing that position this year i think they are oin to stick with kennedy for the year which is a shame since merriweather could be a huge cornerstone of this defense

Yep... I'm afraid of the same thing. They seem content with Bullocks/Kennedy... and probably wont take a S until round 4-5. I prefer Bullocks/Meriweather... but, you're right... it probably wont happen.

Mythos
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Yep... I'm afraid of the same thing. They seem content with Bullocks/Kennedy... and probably wont take a S until round 4-5. I prefer Bullocks/Meriweather... but, you're right... it probably wont happen.

I can't get past the fact that we're a sprained ankle away from McGraw as a starter. It's that panic mode that makes me want to reach for Landry. Maybe we can find somebody in 4-5 though. The Lions have gotta be due.

TacticaLion
03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I can't get past the fact that we're a sprained ankle away from McGraw as a starter. It's that panic mode that makes me want to reach for Landry. Maybe we can find somebody in 4-5 though. The Lions have gotta be due.
Haha... the panic mode. That's awesome.

I know we'll draft a S somewhere in the draft... but I don't think it'll be in the first two rounds.

Sadly.