PDA

View Full Version : Could Alshon Jeffery Fall Out of Round 1?

Dallas357
11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Call me crazy, but I really see it happening.

Razor
11-14-2011, 02:59 PM
How shocked will I be? Well, I won't be shocked at all. I think he's vastly overrated.. In fact, I didn't include him in the first in my latest mock draft.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Slightly . . if he gets in shape for the combine he will go first round. Just looked slow and fat against Florida. Might be a good possession wr in the pros just not worthy of a 1st. But i have a round 1 wr bias. Guys like Fitz, Johnson, Megatron, Dez, Crabtree, Jones, Green . . those are the wr you draft in the first round.

ShutDwn
11-14-2011, 03:15 PM
If teams are smart, he will fall.

MidwayMonster31
11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Even though South Carolina's quarterbacks haven't done much for him, I haven't really seen much from him in terms of route running and getting consistent separation. He also looks a little too pudgy.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
If teams are smart, he will fall.
Teams are idiots, so he will most likely go 1st round.

princefielder28
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I am starting to sour on Alshon...he was incredible last year but i'm not seeing that from him this year and it's not just due to the QB issues

FUNBUNCHER
11-14-2011, 03:24 PM
I think he runs a 4.7 predraft. Most people won't be shocked at all.
Alshon has the tools to become a starter in the league, but he's not worth IMO a first round pick.

TACKLE
11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Very mildly shocked. PF mentioned the QB issues which are valid but he hasn't done anything to erase doubts about his ability to separate.

ChiFan24
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Not at all shocked either. Not impressed by the guy at all; I think Michael Floyd has clearly overtaken him.

jrdrylie
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Teams are idiots, so he will most likely go 1st round.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

But should he? Absolutely not. He was never a speedster. Now he is fat and out of shape. You think that will change after he signs a multi million dollar contract? Against Florida, on Connor Shaw's interception, Alshon Jeffrey was just standing there waiting for the ball, This allowed the Gator to jump the route and pick it off. Jeffrey didn't even make an attempt to fight for the ball. But with my luck, he'll drop to the mid 20s and the Bears will draft him.

jsa230
11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

But should he? Absolutely not. He was never a speedster. Now he is fat and out of shape. You think that will change after he signs a multi million dollar contract? Against Florida, on Connor Shaw's interception, Alshon Jeffrey was just standing there waiting for the ball, This allowed the Gator to jump the route and pick it off. Jeffrey didn't even make an attempt to fight for the ball. But with my luck, he'll drop to the mid 20s and the Bears will draft him.

I might actually feel sorry for bears fans if they pick Jeffrey over Sanu. I said might

mriforgot
11-14-2011, 04:31 PM
After seeing him at the Chick-fil-A Bowl last year, I won't be surprised at all. The whole game, he seemed somewhat listless on the field, and botched a couple plays badly through either poor route-running or just dropping catchable balls.

keylime_5
11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
It wouldn't surprise me considering a lot of WRs have fallen on draft day recently (Crabtree, Bryant, Jarrett, Rice, Harvin, DeSean Jackson). Being out of shape and playing in Spurrier's offense where basically a jump ball fade to Alshon is their entire passing offense for the past three years wont help his stock, and looking bad at the combine will cause him to freefall if he's not careful. I think he could be a huge Sidney Rice type steal though if he goes into the league and plays like he did in 2010. Stephen Garcia faceplanting this year was just as big of a shot to his stock as anything else.

Iamcanadian
11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Not a fan and have been telling Scott to drop him since his opening mock draft.

LonghornsLegend
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I think the better question to pose is 'could he eat himself out of the 1st round?'

holt_bruce81
11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I am starting to sour on Alshon...he was incredible last year but i'm not seeing that from him this year and it's not just due to the QB issues

I feel the exact same way.

regoob2
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Looks like everyone had a big glass of overreaction today. He will be in great before the combine. The weight issue is a big deal but he wont fall out of the first. Even with the extra weight he is a special player. You cant teach what he can do.

Complex
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I would love the titans to draft Jeffery in 2nd round. If we needed a WR, I would be okay with him in the 1st.

rawdawg
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Eh, I think he's still a 1st rounder. I'm not sure the "fat and out of shape" stuff has been proven. He definitely looks lazy this year though. I'm really disappointed that he didn't put that offense on his back once Lattimore went out, but he still has 3 games to do so, including 2 huge ones vs. Clemson and the bowl game. He has enough of a body of work from last year to fall back on. And at his size, if he can show scouts at the combine that he is in shape, he'll be back in the 1st round conversation.

That being said, I'd be afraid to draft him. Kinda reminds me of Jonathan Baldwin last year. Has the #1 WR ability, but if I'm drafting a WR in the 1st round I want him to basically force his QB to throw him the ball on 3rd and 5 for a 1st down...especially with an inexperienced QB. You're seeing that from Sanu. You see that from Michael Floyd. Haven't seen that from Jeffrey nor did I from Baldwin last year, which is why I wouldn't touch either.

Chris
11-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Alshon be smokin' on that Banner so ya'll better mind yo manners.

descendency
11-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Do you really want him to be around when the Patriots pick? You don't think Bill Belichick will know how to the "disrespected player" card?

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Ehh, I don't see him falling out of round 1. If he gets his fat *** into shape, and runs a 4.5, I think he'll be a top 8-12 pick, maybe higher. His upside is better than Blackmon, who I think is a number 2 WR at the NFL level. Plus, jeffery doesn't have the best QB situation right now and with Lattimore out for the season, he's the only guy defenses have to worry about.

WR Comparisons in my book:

Jeffery: if he gets into shape, could be Brandon Marshall. If not, he'll be a couch potato like USC's Mike Williams.

Blackmon: Anquan Bolden- may never be a true number 1 dominate WR, but if he's in the right offense and with a good Wr opposite of him, he'll be very successful.

Floyd: Larry Fitzgerald: He just has great hands, can dominate CBs with his strenghth, leaping ability to be a huge redzone threat. My opinion, best WR in this draft.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Jeffery: if he gets into shape, could be Brandon Marshall. If not, he'll be a couch potato like USC's Mike Williams.

Blackmon: Anquan Bolden- may never be a true number 1 dominate WR, but if he's in the right offense and with a good Wr opposite of him, he'll be very successful.

Floyd: Larry Fitzgerald: He just has great hands, can dominate CBs with his strenghth, leaping ability to be a huge redzone threat. My opinion, best WR in this draft.

I think Blackmon is faster than Boldin. While Blackmon isn't going to run in the 4.3s, I think he is definitely somewhere between 4.45 and 4.55. Boldin runs a 4.7. I would compare him more to Dwayne Bowe or Hakeem Nicks. They are around the same height as Blackmon. Neither is super fast, but they have enough speed to be legitimate number ones.

patriots21
11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Jon Baldwin clone

GaMeTiMe
11-15-2011, 05:36 PM
It's hard to see him falling out of round one only because I don't see 32 players better than him in this class, at least not yet. It's getting closer by the day, but he's still got top-32 upside for now. I definitely have Blackmon and Floyd head and shoulders above him right now, it's been that way for me for months but until recently I don't think I was in the majority.

At the same time, we definitely may have a Dwayne Jarrett/Limas Sweed situation on our hands here.

Iamcanadian
11-15-2011, 05:42 PM
It's hard to see him falling out of round one only because I don't see 32 players better than him in this class, at least not yet. It's getting closer by the day, but he's still got top-32 upside for now. I definitely have Blackmon and Floyd head and shoulders above him right now, it's been that way for me for months but until recently I don't think I was in the majority.

At the same time, we definitely may have a Dwayne Jarrett/Limas Sweed situation on our hands here.

I completely agree and have been saying so for a long time. Round 2 guy for me.

ellsy82
11-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Interesting. I disagree with both of you. A top 10 guy, he is not. But a top 25 guy, most definitely. He dominates and I see him as not a Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson, but a Dwayne Bowe/Nate Burleson type (in their prime, hopefully with a good QB). I think the dude could be a pro bowler. Would like to see his combine numbers to be sure...but still. He looks legit. You worried about his pudge? LOL.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 03:34 AM
I think he has lost a ton of steam as a prospect, and at this point his stock is extremely cold, but even then i don't think he would fall out of the first round. He is too talented, and all it takes is one team to think they can whip him into shape. An out of shape, hadn't played in a year Mike Williams still went in the top ten when he was drafted, i don't see why someone wouldn't take a flyer on him, especially a playoff team that could use an extra playmaker on offense.

M.O.T.H.
11-16-2011, 05:29 AM
I would love for him to return and work on that body/conditioning. But, from his standpoint, he doesnt have a whole lot to gain, and it's not like we have anyone on the roster who could get him the ball anyway.

holt_bruce81
11-16-2011, 05:34 AM
I kind of hope he goes to the Lions. Him and Megatron with Titus in the slot and Stafford throwing to them. Could be a really fun offense. Just throw bombs all day.

Jakey
11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I like him, if i was a GM i wouldnt shy away from taking him at the end of the 1st.

FUNBUNCHER
11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting. I disagree with both of you. A top 10 guy, he is not. But a top 25 guy, most definitely. He dominates and I see him as not a Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson, but a Dwayne Bowe/Nate Burleson type (in their prime, hopefully with a good QB). I think the dude could be a pro bowler. Would like to see his combine numbers to be sure...but still. He looks legit. You worried about his pudge? LOL.

A chubby WR = poor work ethic in all aspects of his game.
We aren't taking about an OT or FB carrying extra bodyfat.

A plump WR is like an offensive lineman who can't bench 270#. The guy doesn't put in the work to be successful at his position.
Alshon still has decent pro upside, but it's hard to ignore his bust potential which is why I think he slides like a Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly, although for different reasons.

There's nothing 'safe' about drafting Jeffery, which is why I don't see him going in the 1st round.

brat316
11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
I think Blackmon is faster than Boldin. While Blackmon isn't going to run in the 4.3s, I think he is definitely somewhere between 4.45 and 4.55. Boldin runs a 4.7. I would compare him more to Dwayne Bowe or Hakeem Nicks. They are around the same height as Blackmon. Neither is super fast, but they have enough speed to be legitimate number ones.

I'm pretty sure Boldin ran closer to 4.5. That 4.7 combine time was on a bum knee, but I could be wrong.

TheSlinger
11-19-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/16120970/week-11-rewind-oregons-pintsized-rb-james-can-excel-in-nfl

Last year, South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery made a mockery of SEC defenses catching 88 passes for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns on his way to All-America honors.

Through 10 games this season: 38 catches for 504 yards and five touchdowns. He was limited to two catches for 17 yards Saturday by Florida. It is the fourth consecutive game the 2011 Biletnikoff Award finalist has been held under 25 receiving yards.

Some are chalking up Jeffery's mediocre production as simply a by-product of the Gamecocks' season-long struggle to find consistent quarterback play.

The truth: Jeffery is overrated.

In his first two seasons, Jeffery used his size and physicality to gain position on defensive backs. With defenses sucked up to try and contain Marcus Lattimore last season, Jeffery was often able to exploit single coverage, break a tackle and gain yardage -- sometimes big yardage -- after the catch. With defenders not in position to stop him, Jeffery appeared to possess explosiveness.

This season the rare talent playing cornerback in the SEC has exposed Jeffery's lack of explosiveness. He's not getting the ball as much this season, in large part because he isn't getting open.

Jeffery reminds me a great deal of another former USC receiver -- Southern California's Mike Williams (now with the Seattle Seahawks). Like Williams, Jeffery's NFL-caliber traits are his size, strength, soft hands and hand-eye coordination. Due to each man's ability to make the catch even with defenders draped over them, many of Williams' and Jeffery's receptions are memorable plays.

The reality is both need to make plays with defenders clutching at them as neither has the agility or straight-line speed to consistently get open in the NFL.

Iamcanadian
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Boldin ran closer to 4.5. That 4.7 combine time was on a bum knee, but I could be wrong.

Actually, you are right on. Bolden was a 4.50 40 guy who ran at the combine with a noticeable limp coming off a leg injury. He only ran to show pro scouts he was healing nicely.

Cigaro
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Weight is certainly an issue with Alshon Jeffery, but I'm not sure why people now believe its a 'new' issue for this season. He was just as heavy last season when he was dominating. He's always had a bit of gut, it certainly can't be the reason for this downturn this season.

MetSox17
11-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Weight is certainly an issue with Alshon Jeffery, but I'm not sure why people now believe its a 'new' issue for this season. He was just as heavy last season when he was dominating. He's always had a bit of gut, it certainly can't be the reason for this downturn this season.

It's a problem because it's a recurring issue that he has refused to fix. Especially when this was most likely going to be his last year at little SC. I know i'd wanna impress the hell out of scouts and GMs where i won't have all these questions surrounding my abilities, i could just point to the game tape.

Nebula
02-11-2012, 06:06 AM

It's a shame. He did flash some speed in the bowl game though, running right by Dennard when he got a free release

Jack203
02-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Nate Burleson? Really. I am not seeing that comparison.

I'm predicting 2nd round for Jeffery.

bucfan12
02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
If he shows up out of shape at the combine, then definately, YES. Look at him. He's not cut like a WR should be, he's got a gut, and flabby arms. Of course you have to question his work ethic in the off-season.

mightytitan9
02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I like Alshons potential and will need to see what he looks like in workouts before I make my final analysis. Right now though, I see him with about the same value as Jon Baldwin had last year. Honestly, it might be best for him to last until the early 2nd, it might fuel him a little more.

But in 5 years from now, it honestly wouldn't surprise me to call Alshon the best WR in this class.

PossibleCabbage
02-11-2012, 01:43 PM
At this point, I think it's actually about even odds that he falls out of the first. He's most likely the 4th WR on the board (behind Blackmon, Wright, and Floyd) and in the past 20 years we've had fewer than 4 WRs go in the first 10 times. With how deep the "good WR" pool is in this draft and how shallow the "elite WR pool" is, I would guess this is one of the years where we get fewer than four.

Nalej
02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
...and the FA WR pool is pretty good this year as well.
Which would probably lead to less teams reaching for them in the 1st as well

bruschis4all
02-11-2012, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=TheSlinger;2755051]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/16120970/week-11-rewind-oregons-pintsized-rb-james-can-excel-in-nfl

Last year, South Carolina wide receiver Alshon Jeffery made a mockery of SEC defenses catching 88 passes for 1,517 yards and nine touchdowns on his way to All-America honors.

Through 10 games this season: 38 catches for 504 yards and five touchdowns. He was limited to two catches for 17 yards Saturday by Florida. It is the fourth consecutive game the 2011 Biletnikoff Award finalist has been held under 25 receiving yards.

Some are chalking up Jeffery's mediocre production as simply a by-product of the Gamecocks' season-long struggle to find consistent quarterback play.

The truth: Jeffery is overrated.

In his first two seasons, Jeffery used his size and physicality to gain position on defensive backs. With defenses sucked up to try and contain Marcus Lattimore last season, Jeffery was often able to exploit single coverage, break a tackle and gain yardage -- sometimes big yardage -- after the catch. With defenders not in position to stop him, Jeffery appeared to possess explosiveness.

This season the rare talent playing cornerback in the SEC has exposed Jeffery's lack of explosiveness. He's not getting the ball as much this season, in large part because he isn't getting open.

Jeffery reminds me a great deal of another former USC receiver -- Southern California's Mike Williams (now with the Seattle Seahawks). Like Williams, Jeffery's NFL-caliber traits are his size, strength, soft hands and hand-eye coordination. Due to each man's ability to make the catch even with defenders draped over them, many of Williams' and Jeffery's receptions are memorable plays.

The reality is both need to make plays with defenders clutching at them as neither has the agility or straight-line speed to consistently get open in the NFL. QUOTE]

SEC corners sucked in 2010. Were great in 2011. That's some interesting hypothesis. Or, may I say BS. Said analyst points out that Jeffrey helped by Lattimore in 2010 and true talent showed in 2011 when Marcus was hurt. Conveniently not mentioning his pothead qb. The most important position in a passing attack. Gets suspended and thrown off the team in 2011. I think Jeffrey can play. Time will tell. I call total BS on this guy's analysis.

LonghornsLegend
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
It's a shame. He did flash some speed in the bowl game though, running right by Dennard when he got a free release

That's the thing, he struggled a lot more then I thought he would when he was pressed at the LOS for a guy his size. He seems like he should be stronger, and one of the strengths of his game should be beating press coverage.

descendency
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I know at least a few GMs/coaches will not even consider drafting him (in any round) unless his coaching staff explains why he's fat with a reasonable answer (other than "he just doesn't care"), because one of the biggest things in the NFL is work ethic.

I wouldn't be shocked, if what is speculated is as bad as it really is, if we see him in round 3 or 4.

He didn't quit on his team, so he won't be a Mike Williams (syracuse/TB) bad, but I think we'll know what NFL teams really heard behind closed doors by how far he falls.

He's a first round talent with things that need to be coached up, but his body looks bad (like he puts the "F" in fat, bad).

bitonti
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
The question we should be asking is can he get back into rd 1. Cause I don't see him in there now.

but the way the rd is structured, teams at the end need WR: HOU, BAL, SF and NE (who picks 2x)

if he can cobble together a decent time, he can sneak in the tail end of 1. but that's unlikely to happen. He looks like a small TE not a big WR.

bitonti
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't be shocked, if what is speculated is as bad as it really is, if we see him in round 3 or 4.

this is another scenario and it's very possible . remember Tori Gurley last year, some people thought he'd be a mid round pick, didn't get drafted at all.

A Perfect Score
02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Can he? Absolutely. Will he? I don't think so. There's too much raw talent there, and it's not like he had a complete lack of production in college and you'd be drafting him on potential alone. He has produced, but let's not forget what he was dealing with this season at SC. No running game after Lattimore went down, and the QB play was atrocious all year. He's probably not the Top 15 guy many thought he was after last season, but I have a hard time picturing him out of the first.

nfldraftnerd
02-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I think the arrow is definitely pointing up for Alshon Jeffery, especially since Michael Floyd opted to sit himself down for post-season all-star games.

How is Alshon Jeffrey, if not the top receiver, one of the top 2 or 3 receivers in this class? Tons of teams need wide-outs this year, there's solid talent at the top of the list, and I am willing to bet he doesn't get past San Francisco late in the first.

What's scary is, at the C1 Bowl, despite everybody calling him "fat and out of shape" he still out classed a corner back that a lot of naysayers have in their cream of the crop for this class... Imagine how good he could be if he were "in-shape."

He has top 10 talent and if he bridges a few gaps at the combine, he could easily move into the top 10 or 15 on draft day.

If he is still on the board when SF picks at 30, I would be absolutely stunned.

MidwayMonster31
02-12-2012, 12:58 AM
After the Senior Bowl, I have a feeling Dennard is going to be in for a lengthy drop. If he can't get a good jam at the line of scrimmage, it's real easy to get separation from him. There might be concerns that he might have to play at the nickel or go to safety, if he runs badly, or looks stiff in coverage he can drop.
Jeffrey did outclass him, but I for one, am down on both of them

FUNBUNCHER
02-12-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't think Jeffery is capable of running a sub 4.6, his lack of overall pure athleticism with all his other question marks is why I don't see him going anywhere in the top 30 picks.

TACKLE
02-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Although I certainly see some of the concerns, I've kinda become a closet Alshon Jeffery fan over the past couple months. This is a very deep WR class and there are number of solid all-around WR's but most of those guys lack any special qualities. When it comes to jump ball situations, Alshon's hands and body control will instantly make him an elite jump ball WR in the league. He is truly special in that area and has been throughout his career. His hands are second to none in this class and there really isn't a close second. I mean how many plays times did AJ Green embarrass a DB on a circus catch simply by having superior size, hands and body control.

There is some validity to the concerns about his speed and suddenness. He is more of a build up speed guy and I'm as curious as anybody about his forty time. But I've seen him be able to create some natural separation on vertical routes and although he isn't too explosive in short areas (no worse than Floyd at least) I think to some extent he simply looks slower because he is big, fluid and very smooth. I feel the weight concerns were overblown a bit. His statistical drop off had to do more with the fact that their QB's were incompetent and as a team they threw the ball 72 less times and their yards per attempt still dropped by 1.2. Even throughout when he had all the excuses in the world, he stayed very positive and was as team oriented guy as you could want.

I guess he's not a fit for every offense and his forty (which I expect he'll run at his pro day and not Indy, just a hunch) will certainly influence the way I see him. Still, he's a big, fluid, coordinated athlete with the ability to win the ball in the air vs any DB in this league and because of that he's going to be able to create mismatches. That's something I can look past with him as a prospect even with questions about his speed looming. There's kind of been a movement towards smaller quicker slot types so now there actually seems to be quite a few teams with good passing attacks that now lack a big X WR who can create a physical mismatch and win on the outside. In the right situation, Jeffery can be that guy.

PossibleCabbage
02-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I guess he's not a fit for every offense and his forty (which I expect he'll run at his pro day and not Indy, just a hunch) will certainly influence the way I see him.

If Jeffrey opts not to run the 40 at Indy without a good excuse (like a legitimate injury), that's going to influence the way a lot of NFL teams think about him. He's not the sort of clean, high-end prospect that teams are going to excuse "not participating in tests at the combine because he fears it will hurt his stock."

I mean, you could be right and he won't run at the combine, but that will result in some furious scribbling on note pads unless he's demonstrably not healthy (and they do the physical before the 40).

Dan_Steele
02-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Jeffrey reminds me a lot of Dwayne Jarrett, who came out of USC a few years ago. Jarrett was a pariah all of draft season, terrible with the media, milked an injury to get out of working out at the combine, and couldn't shake many off-the-field concerns during his meetings at Indy. Jarrett, who was once a premier prospect with All-American credentials tumbled far down draft boards, even being removed from some team's boards entirely. He still got drafted reasonably high (for reasons I still do not know), and was pretty much awful during his time in Carolina.

I'm not saying Jeffrey will share this fate but if he wants to remain in the first round conversation he needs to go to the combine and do every single drill. Even if he doesn't perform well, it still reflects much better on his character that he was willing to go out there, work hard, and do whats asked of him. In recent years we have seen players like Joe Haden and Mario Manningham go to the combine and turn in sub-par performances but still get drafted where they were originally projected. The Combine drills basically serve this purpose - if a player performs better or worse than expected then you go back and re-evaluate him. If he performs on-par with what you expected, then your scouting report is pretty much done. Haden and Manningham rebounded with strong pro-days and had the game tape to back it up. They showed a willingness to work by battling through injuries in Indy to do what was asked of them

It is in my humble opinion that seeing a player work hard and do whats expected of him in much more valuable and much more important to teams than a 40-yard dash time.

descendency
02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
If he performs miserably, it will be just as bad as not performing at all.

NFL teams know how to find out if you are "working for a contract" or seriously interested in being in the NFL.

How is Alshon Jeffrey, if not the top receiver, one of the top 2 or 3 receivers in this class?

He's a fat WR with no explosion and potentially no love for the game.

TACKLE
02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
If he performs miserably, it will be just as bad as not performing at all.

That's just blatantly untrue.

NFL teams know how to find out if you are "working for a contract" or seriously interested in being in the NFL.

How do you know what NFL teams know. Every single player in the league and every single player getting ready for the draft is 'working for a contract'. All those prospects who spends thousands and thousands dollars to tweak their 40 technique so they can run the best possible time and get the best possible contract. How and why is Alshon any different?

He's a fat WR with no explosion and potentially no love for the game.

Again with making completely baseless comments. Stop doing that.

49erNation85
02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I would love this guy at Sf.Big target and could possible just use the right coaching to get his Pot jump started and be a number one Wide out.

descendency
02-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Again with making completely baseless comments. Stop doing that.

You simply don't get fat if you are in the gym. He's fat. You can see it clearly. It's not baseless.

Vikes99ej
02-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Not if the Vikings get another pick!

VernonLawson89
02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
If you're the 49ers @ #30, and Mo Sanu and Alshon Jeffery are both still on the board, who do you take?

DeepThreat
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
You simply don't get fat if you are in the gym. He's fat. You can see it clearly. It's not baseless.

Apparently most offensive linemen don't work out either.

And the simple fact that a player is overweight does not mean he does not love the game. That is a stupid connection.

PossibleCabbage
02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
If you're the 49ers @ #30, and Mo Sanu and Alshon Jeffery are both still on the board, who do you take?

I say that one comes down to the interview at the combine. The interview is going to be huge for Alshon Jeffrey, and if he blows it (or simply fails to impress), I think I would take Sanu.

descendency
02-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Apparently most offensive linemen don't work out either.

And the simple fact that a player is overweight does not mean he does not love the game. That is a stupid connection.

Clearly, I'm not talking about being fat in general. I'm talking about a fat WR. WRs are not fat. A fat WR is like a fat 100m star.

Brian Price (DT, Tampa Bay) was supposed to be a first rounder, until people saw he was fat. The Bucs are definitely regretting his lack of conditioning.

Mike Williams (pick one) was supposed to be good... and then he got fat.

Andre Smith (OL, Bengals) went 6th overall but now has a clause in his contract that allows the Bengals to pay him peanuts if he gets over a certain weight. He has since dedicated himself and got in shape and actually played well.

JaMarcus Russell was fat. Guess what he had? (Hint: No love for the game)

Can you not care, be fat, and succeed in the NFL? Sure.

Albert Haynesworth clearly is a talented player whom can succeed on the NFL level. He also clearly doesn't care if he's in shape or if he does anything other than collect checks.

Poor conditioning is a huge red flag.

http://twitter.com/#!/RookieDraft/status/169157077535694848

WR Alshon Jeffery, #SouthCarolina is training at St Vincents here in Indy. Sources say he's weighing 249lbs + running a 4.88 Forty #NFLDraft

Cigaro
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I find those numbers a bit hard to believe, but if they are true, Jeffery can expect to fall much farther than from just the first round.

Well according to the guy who reported it, he verified at least the 40 with Jeffery, although it's about three weeks old. That's still absolutely horrendous.

EDIT: According to Jeffery and his agent, he's training in Tampa, not Indy, so it looks like after all that's probably not legitimate.

thefridge15
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
A 4.88 forty is bad no matter when you run it, 3 weeks ago means nothing to me.

AntoinCD
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
If those numbers are even close to the truth I actually don't see how he's a draftable prospect. Calvin Johnson was 239 of rock solid muscle at the combine. Alshon Jeffrey isn't built like that and I would be willing to guess he would be about 20lb overweight which is ridiculous for a guy going to the combine with first round aspirations.

His timed speed was never gonna be great but if he doesn't run at worst a 4.6 then his stock goes into free fall

DraftSavant
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Rumor now is that this information is being leaked by Alshon's side so he blows away impressions at the combine.

BELIEVE ALL THE THINGS!

Cigaro
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Again, considering Alshon is actually training in Tampa and not Indy as this guy reported, I'm pretty sure those numbers are not legitimate.

TheSlinger
02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
249 is believable. 4.88 is not, at least to me. 4.65 is the projection I'm putting on him and I HATE Jeffery.

A Perfect Score
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Call me crazy, but I think he's going sub 4.6. I'm thinking 4.57 at about 240 lbs.

MidwayMonster31
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
The beginning of smokescreen season.

AntoinCD
02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Even if Alshon absolutely smashes the combine I fail to see how letting this info out could help him. If he's gonna be near 250lbs in the most important offseason of his career, regardless if he can cut both his weight and speed, then what makes you think he won't be higher and slower next year with a guaranteed salary?

Cigaro
02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Even if Alshon absolutely smashes the combine I fail to see how letting this info out could help him. If he's gonna be near 250lbs in the most important offseason of his career, regardless if he can cut both his weight and speed, then what makes you think he won't be higher and slower next year with a guaranteed salary?

If he's letting it out, he wouldn't be doing so because it was actually true and had somehow magically improved, rather simply to create low expectations based on false numbers that can easily be beaten by the true numbers. The desired effect I assume is to for the scouts to realize those early numbers as illegitimate while still feeling improved about Alshon's potential because of the new numbers.

AntoinCD
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
If he's letting it out, he wouldn't be doing so because it was actually true and had somehow magically improved, rather simply to create low expectations based on false numbers that can easily be beaten.

Well if he isn't at that weight and is consistently running a few tenths of a second faster then it would make sense to deny these rumours before the combine. People may expect the worst anyway now but at least he can say its all false rumours and he's actually in good shape. I see no way this actually helps him.

Scott Wright
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I am doing some digging on these rumors.

Either way, not sure why anyone would be surprised if Jeffery is out of shape and / or slow.

http://www.frumpzilla.com/image_gallery/Alshon-Jeffrey-Is-Fat.jpg

A Perfect Score
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I am doing some digging on these rumors.

Either way, not sure why anyone would be surprised if Jeffery is out of shape and / or slow.

http://www.frumpzilla.com/image_gallery/Alshon-Jeffrey-Is-Fat.jpg

And I counter your picture with a video, sir.

He63Wocae1g

If Jon Baldwin can go in the first, there is not a single god damned reason Jeffery can't (Assuming he doesn't actually run a 4.88...That's just ridiculous).

Matthew Jones
02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Possible Combine numbers:

Best case - 225 lbs., 4.55

Worst case - 250 lbs., 4.75

Realistic - 240 lbs., 4.65

descendency
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
249 is believable. 4.88 is not, at least to me. 4.65 is the projection I'm putting on him and I HATE Jeffery.

Technique can fix 40 times by quite a few tenths. I really don't know if the numbers are legit or not, but it isn't outside of the realm of possibility that a guy that can run 4.6 runs 4.9 because of really bad technique.

edit: It looks like those numbers may be Draft Bible'd. If they are, I hope Jeffery and his agent sue the people into the ground.

edit2: Apparently, the numbers are 3 weeks old. (or at least he claims) Seems more likely to be fake now.

Brown Leader
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Pshhh. Even if he's big and slow he'd still be Jared Cook.

Pastor Marc
02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
And with the 22nd pick in the NFL draft The Cleveland Browns select WR Alshon Jeffery South Carolina :)

Complex
02-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Pshhh. Even if he's big and slow he'd still be Jared Cook.

Jared Cook ran in the low 4.5s.

Matthew Jones
02-13-2012, 07:26 PM
This guy's weight issues are serious. If he can't get in shape when he's playing at the collegiate level, I'd have some serious reservations about giving him millions of dollars and a lot of free time and hoping he doesn't decide to drive over to McDonald's.

TACKLE
02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
This guy's weight issues are serious. If he can't get in shape when he's playing at the collegiate level, I'd have some serious reservations about giving him millions of dollars and a lot of free time and hoping he doesn't decide to drive over to McDonald's.

I think the broke college kid is more apt to go to Mickey D's than the millionaire who can actually afford quality food and has access to nutritionists through the team.

A Perfect Score
02-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I think the broke college kid is more apt to go to Mickey D's than the millionaire who can actually afford quality food and has access to nutritionists through the team.

Get out of here with your common sense sir, it's not welcome in the Draft section. We only deal in bias and homerism around these parts.

Chad Ochocinco eats McDonald's every day. NFLN told me so. He was good, at one point...

San Diego Chicken
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I think someone will take him in the 1st round still. His 2010 was unbelievable, you can't be a good team in need of a WR and not at least take a look at what he did that season... I'd still take him over Floyd who I wouldn't trust at all. It's a risk, but all draft decisions are risks.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Call me crazy, but I think he's going sub 4.6. I'm thinking 4.57 at about 240 lbs.

You're crazy. He looks like a mid 4.6 guy even on tape.

His nutritional concepts are probably completely out of whack, regardless if he eats gourmet meals or McDonalds. I'm sure he's got a nutritional staff telling him the right way to eat in college, it's a matter of whether or not he listens to them.

PossibleCabbage
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Even without the weight issue I'm not convinced Jeffrey is really fast or explosive enough to be considered a first round WR by NFL teams. He's at the bottom of the first if at all, and teams picking towards the bottom of the first tend to be good at personnel evaluation.

I mean, even if he lost a lot of weight, he's probably still in the mid 4.6 range and he's not especially fast out of the gate (his last 20 is likely going to be much faster than his first 20).

But we'll see what he actually runs when he gets around to it, but I don't think he's really going to get much separation against NFL DBs.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Even without the weight issue I'm not convinced Jeffrey is really fast or explosive enough to be considered a first round WR by NFL teams. He's at the bottom of the first if at all, and teams picking towards the bottom of the first tend to be good at personnel evaluation.

I mean, even if he lost a lot of weight, he's probably still in the mid 4.6 range and he's not especially fast out of the gate (his last 20 is likely going to be much faster than his first 20).

But we'll see what he actually runs when he gets around to it, but I don't think he's really going to get much separation against NFL DBs.

I really doubt his ability to separate too. I just don't see it. I wish with his size he could get off the press better.

However, there's a lot to like. He's a plus plus guy in jump ball situations. Has some build up speed, long arms, and a very impressive catching radius.

As of right now, I have him with a late first-early 2nd grade.

What I'm debating with at this point in the process: Why am I taking Alshon over Stephen Hill? Hill has many of the same plus skills: locating the ball wall, controls body well, etc. Only thing is, Hill has an element of explosiveness I haven't really seen from Alshon. He's obviously more raw/drop prone, but he's got a big time upside.

As of right now, I've got Alshon a little higher, but it's close.

TACKLE
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Brilliant, sir! I totally agree with the bolded part.

FUNBUNCHER
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Chad Ochocinco went to Mickey Ds everyday in Cincinnati. Money doesn't make you smart.

It makes you rich.

duesouth
02-14-2012, 04:29 AM
I really doubt his ability to separate too. I just don't see it. I wish with his size he could get off the press better.

However, there's a lot to like. He's a plus plus guy in jump ball situations. Has some build up speed, long arms, and a very impressive catching radius.

As of right now, I have him with a late first-early 2nd grade.

What I'm debating with at this point in the process: Why am I taking Alshon over Stephen Hill? Hill has many of the same plus skills: locating the ball wall, controls body well, etc. Only thing is, Hill has an element of explosiveness I haven't really seen from Alshon. He's obviously more raw/drop prone, but he's got a big time upside.

As of right now, I've got Alshon a little higher, but it's close.

I agree with this. I've actually moved Hill above Jeffery on my board. The most concerning thing I saw from Jeffery this year was having little Casey Hayward get physical with him in the Vandy game and he really struggled with him. Looks a bit like Michael Floyd a year ago - needs to do what Floyd did and lose some weight to bring some explosion to his game.

TACKLE
02-14-2012, 05:17 AM
His nutritional concepts are probably completely out of whack, regardless if he eats gourmet meals or McDonalds. I'm sure he's got a nutritional staff telling him the right way to eat in college, it's a matter of whether or not he listens to them.

I'm not going to speculate on his diet because there is no actual information to speculate on. All I was saying is that a guy has a better chance at being 'healthy' in the NFL with better resources and bigger incentive$ than he does being a poor college student living.

If a guy's unmotivated and lacks self-discipline to improve himself, he's going to fail regardless.

AntoinCD
02-14-2012, 05:27 AM
I'm not going to speculate on his diet because there is no actual information to speculate on. All I was saying is that a guy has a better chance at being 'healthy' in the NFL with better resources and bigger incentive$ than he does being a poor college student living.

If a guy's unmotivated and lacks self-discipline to improve himself, he's going to fail regardless.

The bottom part is the important bit here.

He plays for a top flight division 1 program in the SEC. I refuse to believe they don't give their student athletes proper nutritional advice. And hell, even if they don't the amount of internet resources about these days is amazing.

Alshon Jeffrey is in the middle of the biggest job interview he will ever have. The onus is on him to get in the best shape possible. If he can't do it now how can anyone expect him to do it when he gets paid?

And I don't really buy the whole thing about him being a poor student who can't afford to buy healthy food

TACKLE
02-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Obviously the trainer has an agenda to some extent but still...

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2013

AlexDunlap
02-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Obviously the trainer has an agenda to some extent but still...

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2013

Hey guys, my name is Alex- I got a chance to meet Shane and Scott at the Senior Bowl and I really enjoy the site. Lots of posters on this forum could have jobs doing this stuff, really good analysis here. I wrote article referenced above on Alshon, and let me tell you guys- what doesn't come across is the level of confidence his agent and his trainer have in his abilities to put all this behind him at the combine and at his pro day in the 3rd week of March.

I simply called my contact and said "Why is everyone saying he's so fat?!"
They just laughed and said- "Let's get you on the phone w/ his trainer if you want to hear about what kind of shape he's in."

Reading b/w the lines, I think he runs 4.6 maybe just a tad lower. We'll all be in Indy next week to see for ourselves, but that is my gut feeling.

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey guys, my name is Alex- I got a chance to meet Shane and Scott at the Senior Bowl and I really enjoy the site. Lots of posters on this forum could have jobs doing this stuff, really good analysis here. I wrote article referenced above on Alshon, and let me tell you guys- what doesn't come across is the level of confidence his agent and his trainer have in his abilities to put all this behind him at the combine and at his pro day in the 3rd week of March.

I simply called my contact and said "Why is everyone saying he's so fat?!"
They just laughed and said- "Let's get you on the phone w/ his trainer if you want to hear about what kind of shape he's in."

Reading b/w the lines, I think he runs 4.6 maybe just a tad lower. We'll all be in Indy next week to see for ourselves, but that is my gut feeling.

Well damn sir, hook us up with jobs!

I think he's under 4.6, honestly. Even in the video I posted, while he isn't the same type of sudden athlete that we've become accustomed to at the WR position, he's still extremely fluid for a man his size. Also, he's more of a long strider, kind of like AJ Green or Jon Baldwin last year. He doesn't explode off the line per say, but he builds up speed as he moves down the field. Look at the pass in the video, I forget what time, where he abuses Dre Kirkpatrick in press coverage on the inside slant. If you're worried he won't be able to get off press in the NFL, he's doing it against a rumored Top 10-12 pick there. In fact, he had a huge day against Bama in general, and that was a damn talented defense. I understand that was a year ago, but if he's putting in the work now and he shows up in shape, the sky is the limit for this kid. Teams will always, always want a #1 receiver, and that's exactly what he can be.

DraftSavant
02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
ALL OF THE FATGUY TOUCHDOWNS adfasdf

Bostonblows91
02-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Every year you hear guys with conditioning issues, and the same questions always arise (hakeem nicks?) But wow does this guy take it to another level. I wouldn't go anywhere near 1st round for him, the only scenario i'd want him on my team is a late round pick (5-7) as a project TE.

stlouisfan37
02-19-2012, 04:41 AM
I have been paying a lot of attention to the success (or, in many cases, failure) of big possession receivers since the 1995 draft. As a Rams fan whose teams had been torched by Rice and Taylor for years, I cringed at the thought of the 49ers taking JJ Stokes. Stokes was big and strong, impossible to bump, and had fantastic hands. The only knock on him, they said, was his lack of speed. While the other two top prospects that year (Joey Galloway and Michael Westbrook) had both turned in 4.4 or better times, Stokes had run a pedestrian 4.65 at the combine. The 49ers dismissed it as unimportant; after all, West Coast Offenses across the league were thriving with big possession receivers lacking speed. Cris Carter, Herman Moore, Alvin Harper...hell, even the greatest, Jerry Rice, was not a burner.

While Stokes would go on to have a decent career, he never scared anyone, and his lack of speed was always attached to his lack of production. The game steadily evolved out of the methodical WCO and speed and quickness became more and more important. "Explosion" is the thing teams were starting to look for, and the big slow guys were having less and less success as time went on.

Dwayne Jarrett was the last guy who fit into this category that was really even considered by NFL scouts as a high-round pick. There were two sides of the argument; on one side, his size, strength, hands and route-running ability would be enough to have continued success despite his lack of speed and explosion. On the other side, his lack of speed and explosion would prove to be too much to overcome in the pro game; CB's would be able to sit on the out route, he wouldn't be able to get separation, and he would never require a double-team. In the end, the latter proved to be the correct analysis.

I haven't done a study in a few years, but for several years from about 2003-2007 I documented the average forty times from the Combine. WR's and CB's at that time were averaging around 4.45-4.48 depending on the year. So when you get a guy who is running a 4.6 or above, it really doesn't matter how you want to cut it...he is slow and slow doesn't win in the NFL anymore.

So my take on it is this...if Alshon Jeffery runs in the 4.6's, I don't care how good he is at everything else. He is too slow be a game-changing WR in the NFL, and I don't believe he will be anything special.

TACKLE
02-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Another report on next weeks most anticipated 40 yard dash

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Hearing that South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery has actually lost weight down to 217 to 220 and hopes to run in 4.5 range at combine We'll see

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Another report on next weeks most anticipated 40 yard dash

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Hearing that South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery has actually lost weight down to 217 to 220 and hopes to run in 4.5 range at combine We'll see

Jeezus.

Never a good sign when a WR drops roughly 20 pounds below their playing weight in college.

I don't think Alshon realizes if he shows up at the combine weighing under 220# it's still going to hurt his draft stock because anyone with half a brain will know the anorexic looking WR he appears to be at the combine will gain 20# of water/fat before his first minicamp.

A skill position player isn't supposed to have 20# to lose before the NFL combine.smh

Complex
02-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Jeezus.

Never a good sign when a WR drops roughly 20 pounds below their playing weight in college.

I don't think Alshon realizes if he shows up at the combine weighing under 220# it's still going to hurt his draft stock because anyone with half a brain will know the anorexic looking WR he appears to be at the combine will gain 20# of water/fat before his first minicamp.

A skill position player isn't supposed to have 20# to lose before the NFL combine.smh

He was 230 this year, 10-13 pound lost. Maybe he just lost some fat.

FUNBUNCHER
02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
I think Alshon was closer to 235-240# than he was 230# last season. No way to know for sure.
I still contend an in shape skill position player shouldn't have 10+# to lose before the combine.
Guys like Calvin Johnson GAINED weight before the combine through intensive lifting and pre-test ballistic speed training, which is more in line with what I would expect for a college WR.

I imagine Jeffery is going to look like a scrawny mess at under 220# since he isn't the most naturally muscular person to begin with.

AntoinCD
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
The problem I have with Jeffrey in the NFL doesn't have a lot to do with his 40 yard dash. If he runs a really slow time it shows he's not dedicated to his craft. But if he runs anything between 4.5 and 4.6 it doesn't clear much up for me.

He is a big, strong WR with good hands. He will win jump balls against most CBs. But he doesn't have the explosion in his cuts to run crisp routes. The fact that he is a long strider is a negative IMO. Long striders normally have to take extra, choppy steps going into their breaks. This gives CBs an advantage and allows them to break on the ball.

To be fair to Jeffrey if he beats press coverage to the inside on quick throws he should make the catch 99% of the time. He can use his massive frame to shield the ball on slants etc.

However he won't be someone who can run the full route tree.

He doesn't have the speed to scare teams running go routes. Safeties won't have to sit 25 yards deep just to defend Jeffrey.

He doesn't have the explosion in his hips to be effective at running dig routes and comebacks. Due to this he ends up rounding out his routes and against NFL DBs that won't cut it.

He has a chance to be effective against off coverage where QBs can get him the ball quickly and he can use his strength to gain extra yards. He should also be a monster in the red zone. However I just don't see him being a real #1 WR in the NFL. Everything he benefits from in a size and strength perspective he loses from a mobility stand point. I wouldn't want to use a high-mid first round pick on a WR who needs to be put in the right situation to be effective.

bruschis4all
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Weighed in at 216lb. Let's see how he runs. I love the site Scott. But, in the podcast you talked about him you were convinced he was 248 and ran a 4.88 forty. Don't be so quick to pass unsubstantiated rumors as facts.

SRogers92
02-24-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think him weighing 216 will matter one bit. Scouts/GMs aren't stupid -- they'll inquire with coaches and people around him why he was so big in college and they'll get a lot of info about his work ethic, etc. These teams know kids will do whatever it takes to make an impression at the combine and that it's not really who they are.

The 40 meter will be big for him, too.

AntoinCD
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't think him weighing 216 will matter one bit. Scouts/GMs aren't stupid -- they'll inquire with coaches and people around him why he was so big in college and they'll get a lot of info about his work ethic, etc. These teams know kids will do whatever it takes to make an impression at the combine and that it's not really who they are.

Yeah coming in maybe 20lbs under your playing weight will actually raise more questions than alleviate them.

It all depends how explosive and strong he looks. If he can get in and out of his breaks better now then I see him climbing, but teams will make it clear that he needs to stay below 220lbs.

Cigaro
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM

It most definitely will. They had questions about his work ethic, but now they can also see that he can get down to a lower weight which is what most would have been interested. It doesn't completely erase work ethic questions, but it is most certainly a positive to some degree in every scouts mind. No one could possibly question his work ethic/weight, and see this and not view it as a plus, even if not necessarily a permanent plus.

Yeah coming in maybe 20lbs under your playing weight will actually raise more questions than alleviate them.

I don't see how. There were numerous questions about what Alshon's work ethic was, was his weight healthy, could he lose weight. He clearly can be motivated into losing weight, so there's one question down. And I don't see what question would stem from losing weight that wasn't already being asked.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I'd be interested to know if he was a soft 217. I bet he was.

TACKLE
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd be interested to know if he was a soft 217. I bet he was.

MEHbe it is but like even you said after the weight reports, it's all about the time right now. The weight, how it looks, how he carries it doesn't really matter if he can run a good time.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-24-2012, 05:39 PM
MEHbe it is but like even you said after the weight reports, it's all about the time right now. The weight, how it looks, how he carries it doesn't really matter if he can run a good time.

Agreed, I'm just curious as to how he cut it the weight. I saw the article (that I believe you posted), but I'm willing to wager he's not at all a "physical specimen" if you will. Probably some old wrestling tricks and deficit cut methods at play.

FUNBUNCHER
02-24-2012, 05:41 PM
I'll see your newfound 'work ethic' for Alshon Jeffery because he lost almost 20# before the combine and I'll raise you the best set of man bewbs to ever grace Tuscaloosa...

http://theproducers.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cody.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/156vgwk.jpg

Losing weight before the combine doesn't represent a good work ethic.
Being in peak condition for your position is a sign of a player's work ethic.

descendency
02-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I want to see what Jeffery looks like.

If he's really dropped 15 pounds of fat (because he himself admits to being 230 at South Carolina last season), that's impressive. I'd still want to know why he was fat during the season.

100% agree.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
**Devils Advocate** What if he's just one of those guys whos body needs round the clock dietary structure? Is that a good thing? No. Could it mean that all he needed was to be on a professional diet. Yes.

No ones ever said, outright, that the guy was lazy at SC, right? I doubt he was poundin' twinkies.

Jimmy
02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
He weighs in at 6'2 and a half, 216. That's not even that big, compared to other guys. There goes any talks that he has amazing size for a receiver. He hurt himself, IMO.

A Perfect Score
02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
He weighs in at 6'2 and a half, 216. That's not even that big, compared to other guys. There goes any talks that he has amazing size for a receiver. He hurt himself, IMO.

TO is the most physical receiver of the past decade and he was 6'3 225. Anquan Boldin is probably second, and he's 6'1 225. I fail to see how Jeffery weighing in at 216 is a bad thing for him. He's still a very large, extremely physical WR, and now it appears he has a legit chance at a 4.5.

Jimmy
02-25-2012, 09:23 AM
TO is the most physical receiver of the past decade and he was 6'3 225. Anquan Boldin is probably second, and he's 6'1 225. I fail to see how Jeffery weighing in at 216 is a bad thing for him. He's still a very large, extremely physical WR, and now it appears he has a legit chance at a 4.5.

You're probably right, it's just a stigma thing for me. 6'2 216, just doesn't seem big. When all of us on NFLDC classify receivers as big or strong, they're above 6'3, 220 pounds, 90% of the time.

Boldin and TO both now have 10 pounds on Jeffrey now, it seems as if he may have lost some of that muscle (or fat, really unable for me to fairly determine)

I'm sure he is very physical and strong, but he's not that large anymore. I hope he benches so we get a rough estimate. If he can't put up 18-20 reps, I think a major red flag goes up.

FUNBUNCHER
02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I sound like I don't like Jeffery.
If my team drafted the guy I would still expect him to become the starting #2 WR and be highly productive, especially in the redzone. He's a competitive guy on the football field which I like.
I just don't think he's an elite prospect who should go in the first 20 picks.

I thought Jeffery was 6'2 3/4?? That's 6'3 for general purposes. You put him next to a guy who's 6'3 on the nose and there's no difference to the naked eye.

A Perfect Score
02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
You're probably right, it's just a stigma thing for me. 6'2 216, just doesn't seem big. When all of us on NFLDC classify receivers as big or strong, they're above 6'3, 220 pounds, 90% of the time.

Boldin and TO both now have 10 pounds on Jeffrey now, it seems as if he may have lost some of that muscle (or fat, really unable for me to fairly determine)

I'm sure he is very physical and strong, but he's not that large anymore. I hope he benches so we get a rough estimate. If he can't put up 18-20 reps, I think a major red flag goes up.

He's 6'3, not 6'2. And I fully expect his playing weight between 220 and 230, he's just down around 216 now to prove the weight issues were overblown and run himself a nice 40. Rest assured, he's a solid 6'3 225 in the NFL, and it will play just fine with NFL CBs. At least I think so. I could just be getting fooled by the overwhelming dominance of his SO season.

Jimmy
02-25-2012, 10:53 AM
He's 6'3, not 6'2. And I fully expect his playing weight between 220 and 230, he's just down around 216 now to prove the weight issues were overblown and run himself a nice 40. Rest assured, he's a solid 6'3 225 in the NFL, and it will play just fine with NFL CBs. At least I think so. I could just be getting fooled by the overwhelming dominance of his SO season.

Not to split hairs, but he's closer to 6'2 1/2 than he is 6'3. Regardless of my nitpickyness, i just see the numbers 602_ and it really doesn't matter how close that last number is to a 9, it doesn't come across as a "big" receiver to me. Just an above average one. If you're right about his playing weight then he has an upper hand getting off the line. Now if he sucks in the vertical, like less than 37", THEN his height advantage really gets reduced. I think he can jump, though.

TACKLE
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Larry Fitz was the exact same height at the combine (6027) and I would consider him a big WR. Let's not pretend that Alshon's playing weight will be 216 either.

Jimmy
02-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Larry Fitz was the exact same height at the combine (6027) and I would consider him a big WR.

This is true, and this is also why I post on this board. Good way to look at it.

Cigaro
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
...Alshon Jeffery will have absolutely no problem with height and jump balls in the league. If anything, that will be his saving grace as a receiver. Questioning his weight and speed is legitimate, now questioning his height and leaping ability is laughable.

FUNBUNCHER
02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
6027 is 6 foot 2 inches and 7/8ths.

Give the man his eighth of an inch!!

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
6'3" 216 lbs.

http://beta.photobucket.com/albums/g388/nghia_vn/Meme/NotBad.png

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Not to split hairs, but he's closer to 6'2 1/2 than he is 6'3. Regardless of my nitpickyness, i just see the numbers 602_ and it really doesn't matter how close that last number is to a 9, it doesn't come across as a "big" receiver to me.

That means your brain doesn't work correctly. Also, 7 is the highest it goes.

Just an above average one. If you're right about his playing weight then he has an upper hand getting off the line. Now if he sucks in the vertical, like less than 37", THEN his height advantage really gets reduced. I think he can jump, though.

Splitting hairs is precisely what you're doing. He's much closer to 6'3 than 6'2", and will be listed as such. Any other receiver you think is "big" because he has a 3 after the 6 on his nfl.com page is just as likely to be "actually" only 6'2" in your eyes. And... what? Jumping less than 37" inches is now "sucking" at the vertical? Like numbers much?

arizona_cards_11
02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Ehh, I don't see him falling out of round 1. If he gets his fat *** into shape, and runs a 4.5, I think he'll be a top 8-12 pick, maybe higher. His upside is better than Blackmon, who I think is a number 2 WR at the NFL level. Plus, jeffery doesn't have the best QB situation right now and with Lattimore out for the season, he's the only guy defenses have to worry about.

I have to disagree.....Boldin was a terrific #1 receiver while he had the opportunity. People forget that in his Rookie season he had ~1400yds receiving coming from Jeff Blake with virtually no other talent on the team. I do see Blackmon as a sort of Boldin-like receiver without the "bowling ball" ability and moves.

Floyd is the most Fitzgerald-like in this years draft.....although, I'm not sure any receiver can match his hands and body control.

SenorGato
02-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I have to disagree.....Boldin was a terrific #1 receiver while he had the opportunity. People forget that in his Rookie season he had ~1400yds receiving coming from Jeff Blake with virtually no other talent on the team. I do see Blackmon as a sort of Boldin-like receiver without the "bowling ball" ability and moves.

Floyd is the most Fitzgerald-like in this years draft.....although, I'm not sure any receiver can match his hands and body control.

Blackmon isn't a bowling ball but he'll take his share of guys down.

There's something about Michael Floyd that makes me say "but" after "he's loaded with talent." More Braylon Edwards than Fitzgerald to me...I'm sticking with Blackmon.

Dallas357
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Bump for future validation

regoob2
03-26-2012, 04:02 PM
I still dont think he'll fall out of the 1st.

bitonti
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll see your newfound 'work ethic' for Alshon Jeffery because he lost almost 20# before the combine and I'll raise you the best set of man bewbs to ever grace Tuscaloosa...

http://theproducers.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cody.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/156vgwk.jpg

lost in this post is the fact that Cody is actually one of the league's better young nose tackles. Sorry he's not winning any beauty contests.

49erNation85
03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Man those man boobies are just fugly .

bruschis4all
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Alshon weighed in at 213. Vertical 36.5 Standing Broad Jump 10'2"
No word on forty time yet. Guessing 4.5 based on above info.

bruschis4all
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Some guy named Hunter Wise tweeted he ran a 4.52 forty and a 4.16 shuttle on SC Pro Day Site. Don't shoot the messenger.

STsACE
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Alshon weighed in at 213. Vertical 36.5 Standing Broad Jump 10'2"
No word on forty time yet. Guessing 4.5 based on above info.

Hearing unofficially 4.38 on his first attempt.

bruschis4all
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM

If he's under 4.5, he's a Top 20 pick. Kevin Weidl ESPN tweeted that 4.38 He said his second was 4.47.

brat316
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Big Mike Williams 3.0?

Complex
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Big Mike Williams 3.0?

How so? did Mike Williams run a 4.3/4.4?

casman02
03-28-2012, 11:16 AM

I read that was off and the first was like a 4.54. 2nd was a 4.47 with a stumble

bruschis4all
03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I read that was off and the first was like a 4.54. 2nd was a 4.47 with a stumble

They avg. the two out at the combine. So, It's 4.505
I believe that elevates his status. I can't get that Alabama
game out of my head from 2010. He was fantastic against
some great players. His qb sucked this year. Not his fault.

A Perfect Score
03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Come to Baltimore Alshon. It's where you belong.

STsACE
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
They avg. the two out at the combine. So, It's 4.505
I believe that elevates his status. I can't get that Alabama
game out of my head from 2010. He was fantastic against
some great players. His qb sucked this year. Not his fault.

Good points.

I've been critical of Alshon, but he did continue to improve his conditioning since combine and ran a pretty good 40. I gotta say he's definately got a chance of landing in 1st round after today. Definately moves him into top 5 WR.

No particular order:
Blackmon
Floyd
Wright
Hill
Jeffery

With the rookie cap, I think small chance all 5 could go in 1st round.

brat316
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a hard time believing he is going to keep the weight off. Yeah right now he is motivated to get drafted as high as possible, everyone loves money. Later when he is in his contract year same thing, if he last that long.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I have a hard time believing he is going to keep the weight off. Yeah right now he is motivated to get drafted as high as possible, everyone loves money. Later when he is in his contract year same thing, if he last that long.

He played bigger for one season. He said it was a mistake. I really don't see the big deal, so many of us are ready to label our next Mike Williams. And if that picture never came out no one would even be discussing it.

He's the most talented receiver in the draft.

brat316
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
He played bigger for one season. He said it was a mistake. I really don't see the big deal, so many of us are ready to label our next Mike Williams. And if that picture never came out no one would even be discussing it.

He's the most talented receiver in the draft.

So he will go top 5?

etter than blackmon

A Perfect Score
03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
He didn't say he's better, he said he's more talented. It's a very viable argument. Jeffery is bigger and equally (If not more) naturally athletic. He's not as violent as Blackmon is, but you can make the argument that he's more talented. Absolutely.

brat316
03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
dont you draft based on potential most talented coached up right = wins

holt_bruce81
03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Top 5? No. But I do think both Jeffery and Floyd are more talented than Blackmon, but blackmon is the safest pick among the big three. I've been saying for months now that Blackmon is Michael Crabtree, a low no. 1/high no. 2. Where as the other two have a legit chance to be a dominant #1.

If either of em fall below 20, its a steal.

Leon Sandcastle
03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Wright runs a 4.6 and Jeffrey runs a 4.38. You can never predict what's going to happen during the offseason.

TheSlinger
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
If you get Alshon of today he's a potential #1 WR. The Alshon of the 2011 season is not. In terms of ability to catch the ball (vertical, tracking, hands, catching away from the body, body control, shielding CBs etc.) I think he's at the top of the class and it's not particularly close. 4.55 at 213 is fine. But it can't get any worse than that.

Wright runs a 4.6 and Jeffrey runs a 4.38. You can never predict what's going to happen during the offseason.

First of all, if you're comparing pro days, Wright ran a low 4.4. Second of all, Jeffery didn't run 4.38. One guy on twitter said he had him at a 4.38 and people picked up on that. Everybody else had him in the 4.45-4.55 range.

FUNBUNCHER
03-28-2012, 03:06 PM

I wish people would stop posting Jeffrey ran a 4.38. That's just wrong. If he was really that fast he would have run at the combine. And I feel bad for anyone who believes Jeffrey's playing weight is 213#. Right now I look at Jeffrey as a solid #2 WR in the pros. Maybe he shows better than that, maybe not.

The reason he scares me is because you have no idea what kind of condition Alshon is going to be in after his first offseason in the NFL with a fresh wad in his pocket.
He had a great season in 2010, but I still don't think he's anywhere near the talent or pro prospect that AJ Green or Julio Jones were.

Big Bird
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I remember when Hakeem Nicks had conditioning problems.

I'm pretty sure he just won a Super Bowl...

JohnCandy
03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
My question is if he is running 4.5 at 213lbs at his Pro Day why did he play the season at 230lbs plus?

Will he be a 4.5 guy when he is at 230lbs?

In the pre-draft process when he is training every single day and having his meals prepared with millions of dollars on the line, it is pretty easy to lose and keep off the weight.

What happens when he gets paid and no longer has professionals monitoring him every day.

The guy was out of shape during the season when his team mates needed the best from him.

Pass.

niel89
03-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Not a fan of skilled position players who struggle with weight issues. Saying Mike Williams is a extreme and huge stigma, but are there any WR's who had weight problems that were ultimately successful?

In the pre-draft process when he is training every single day and having his meals prepared with millions of dollars on the line, it is pretty easy to lose and keep off the weight.

What happens when he gets paid and no longer has professionals monitoring him every day.

The guy was out of shape during the season when his team mates needed the best from him.

This. Its easy to work hard before you get your money, but will he keep working once he is signed? An overweight, out of shape WR just shows a complete lack of commitment. I can understand a big lineman, but not a WR.

phlysac
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Fat and slow or thin and fast, he's still a Spurrier WR which is scary.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I remember when Hakeem Nicks had conditioning problems.

I'm pretty sure he just won a Super Bowl...

Yep. Gained 15 pounds from I believe the combine to his proday workout.

Wonder what people labeled him as.

A Perfect Score
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I wish people would stop posting Jeffrey ran a 4.38. That's just wrong. If he was really that fast he would have run at the combine. And I feel bad for anyone who believes Jeffrey's playing weight is 213#. Right now I look at Jeffrey as a solid #2 WR in the pros. Maybe he shows better than that, maybe not.

The reason he scares me is because you have no idea what kind of condition Alshon is going to be in after his first offseason in the NFL with a fresh wad in his pocket.
He had a great season in 2010, but I still don't think he's anywhere near the talent or pro prospect that AJ Green or Julio Jones were.

You also think Juron Criner is going to be the second WR drafted, forgive me if I don't take your opinion very seriously.

Jeffery is a true #1 in the NFL, assuming he keeps his weight where he needs to be. He absolutely had his way with SEC CBs in 2010 and turning on the tape again, the guy really just needed to get his ass back in shape and where he needs to be. I dont think he plays at 213 either, but he's a 6'3, 225 lb receiver with 4.5 speed who is physical and tracks the vertical ball as well as any receiver in this class. He doesn't run the crisp routes you'd like to see yet, but he shows enough wiggle on tape to suggest he can get there.

A Perfect Score
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
My question is if he is running 4.5 at 213lbs at his Pro Day why did he play the season at 230lbs plus?

Will he be a 4.5 guy when he is at 230lbs?

Pass.

We're not calling NFL coaches and front office personnel professionals now? If anything, introduction into the NFL guarantees him a professional advantage. I'm sure his diet in the pros will be monitored more heavily then his diet in college was, especially since he'll have access to a plurality of nutritionists, strength and condition coaches, etc. etc. Not that those things wouldn't have been available at SCAR, but I imagine they'll be even more efficient in the NFL. If anything, playing in the NFL should improve his health and conditioning.

brat316
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
We're not calling NFL coaches and front office personnel professionals now? If anything, introduction into the NFL guarantees him a professional advantage. I'm sure his diet in the pros will be monitored more heavily then his diet in college was, especially since he'll have access to a plurality of nutritionists, strength and condition coaches, etc. etc. Not that those things wouldn't have been available at SCAR, but I imagine they'll be even more efficient in the NFL. If anything, playing in the NFL should improve his health and conditioning.

you would think, but plenty of guys flame out cause they are not dedicated and don't realize its their job now. You have to put in the 9-5 time, its not fun time no more.

Raiderz4Life
03-28-2012, 06:39 PM

APS...there have been countless examples of guys who have this type of problem and never do much...***** ass JaMacus Russell and ALbert Haynesworth come to mind.

FUNBUNCHER
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
You also think Juron Criner is going to be the second WR drafted, forgive me if I don't take your opinion very seriously.

Jeffery is a true #1 in the NFL, assuming he keeps his weight where he needs to be. He absolutely had his way with SEC CBs in 2010 and turning on the tape again, the guy really just needed to get his ass back in shape and where he needs to be. I dont think he plays at 213 either, but he's a 6'3, 225 lb receiver with 4.5 speed who is physical and tracks the vertical ball as well as any receiver in this class. He doesn't run the crisp routes you'd like to see yet, but he shows enough wiggle on tape to suggest he can get there.

:facepalm:
I said I thought IF Juron Criner blazed his 40 at the combine, he had a chance to be taken in the first round. You made up the rest about my believing he would be the 2nd WR drafted.:wave:

Compared to big WRs like Larry Fitz and Andre Johnson, Jeffery looks stiff with poor body movement and fluidity. He's not sudden or quick and I don't see him being able to separate in the pros, or ever become a great route runner.

Jeffery didn't only have a down year in 2011, many times he just wasn't open.

I think Alshon is a starter on the next level, but I don't see a future 'star'.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
:facepalm:
I said I thought IF Juron Criner blazed his 40 at the combine, he had a chance to be taken in the first round. You made up the rest about my believing he would be the 2nd WR drafted.:wave:

Compared to big WRs like Larry Fitz and Andre Johnson, Jeffery looks stiff with poor body movement and fluidity. He's not sudden or quick and I don't see him being able to separate in the pros, or ever become a great route runner.

Jeffery didn't only have a down year in 2011, many times he just wasn't open.

I think Alshon is a starter on the next level, but I don't see a future 'star'.

I disagree with this. Jeffery to me looks smooth running his routes and doesn't look stiff at all. Michael Floyd is the receiver I would say looks stiff.

Nebula
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Yep. Gained 15 pounds from I believe the combine to his proday workout.

Wonder what people labeled him as.

Yeap. Never, ever played overweight at North Carolina

He had a bad hamstring. Couldn't even condition himself during the offseason, luckily for the Giants that is

LonghornsLegend
03-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Neither were a ton of elite WR's in the NFL right now, don't see what that has to do with anything. Those are special players for a reason, and that's because you don't have guys coming a long like them all the time.

FUNBUNCHER
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=LonghornsLegend;2925497]Neither were a ton of elite WR's in the NFL right now, don't see what that has to do with anything. Those are special players for a reason, and that's because you don't have guys coming a long like them all the time.[/QUOTE

In 2010, Jeffery was by far the more dominant WR among the three and looked like the better pro prospect by the end of the season.

To say that Jeffery 'fell off' in 2011 is an understatement. Forget SC's issues at QB, Alshon just didn't look like the same athlete he was in 2010, much less the same WR.

Larry
03-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't see Jefferry as a number 1 WR in the nfl. I don't think he'll consistently get enough separation against NFL DB's.

Wrathman
03-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Anyone who needs to drop that much weight while playing a skill position has be seriously questioned about his motivation and passion for the game. Add that to an inability to separate and I think he'll be pretty limited as a pro. I'm not buying in.

Wodwo
03-29-2012, 12:31 AM
I think at this point it all comes down to how he interviews with teams.

I also think as a fan, your level of enthusiasm about him being drafted by your team should probably be equal to the level of trust you have in that team's ability to judge character.

Only one team needs to fall in love with him. We'll see if one does.

Anybody want to weigh in on the guy's character? (Pun intended, many apologies) I mean from watching him in interviews or perhaps even having met him, not based solely on the weight concern. Just thought the topic could use another angle... y'know, one that resembles something other than a dead horse.

SenorGato
03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
APS...there have been countless examples of guys who have this type of problem and never do much...***** ass JaMacus Russell and ALbert Haynesworth come to mind.

Haynesworth was the best DT in the NFL for at least one season, and pretty damn good until the Redskins' stupid decision to pay him.

Sloopy
03-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeap. Never, ever played overweight at North Carolina

He had a bad hamstring. Couldn't even condition himself during the offseason, luckily for the Giants that is

This, ran the 40 and later injured his hamstring and didn't finish drills. The guy put on 10 lbs of weight in like ten days which is odd but it didn't happen from being lazy.

Jeffery on the other hand only thought it necessary to lose weight when it is threatening his chance to make a pay check (forget the regular season, I'll just lose weight for the evaluation process).

I think the talks of guys like Russel and Fat Albert are good comparisons as I have serious concerns of what this guy will do once he gets his paycheck.

FUNBUNCHER
03-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Alshon does play hard once he gets onto the field. If you throw him the football he's going fight for it.

His actual game isn't 'soft'.

Iamcanadian
03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
As I stated on another post, for what it is worth, NFL Network on Path to the Draft, stated that only 3 WR's were 1st round talents and guaranteed to be picked in round 1. Blackmon, Floyd and Hill. Wright had a slight chance to go that high but is considered a slot receiver and more like to see round 2. Jeffery is strictly a 2nd round talent and is being compared to Mike Williams, the USC WR who Matt Millen drafted in round 1, who was a total flop till 2 years ago when he made a dramatic return to pro football and had an OK season.

phlysac
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
NFL Network on Path to the Draft, stated
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/saltgrains.jpg

Dallas357
04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Maybe the 3rd round today.

hagy34
04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I hope he continues to slide....I wouldn't mind nabbing him in the 3rd.

LonghornsLegend
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I think Miami should be targeting him, he's a risk sure but at this point how good of a football player he can be starts to out weigh that some. Plus if I were them, I'd be eyeing weapons for Tannehill right now so that you can get some of their development out of the way by the time you pass the reigns over.

regoob2
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I hope the Bears can grab him in the 2nd.

Nalej
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Put me on the "if he slides to my team, I hope they snag him" bandwagon.