PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Pleasant SS, Oregon

Duffman57
11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm just wondering what people thought of him. If you dont know already i go to Oregon, and this is a guy who's been making a LOT of plays for us lately. He's a guy with big upside and just seems to always be in the right place at the right time. He technically plays the rover, which is a hybrid OLB/SS which lets him roam around a little and just make plays. He's a big hitter at S, and covers TE's well for how short he is (5'11" or 5'10"). He's also a great athlete for a SS who's the 2nd fastest DB (according to Oregon times, he's the faster than Cliff Harris) on the Oregon team, not behind Cliff Harris, but Dior Mathis (a stud on the track team as well).

He is probably a later round pick, but he has some good upside if he gets into the right scheme, and Oregon has put out some pretty good DB's in the past few years, especially at S with Patrick Chung, TJ Ward and Jairus Byrd. He could be next in line to climb up the draft boards.

rawdawg
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Oregon has put out some pretty good DB's in the past few years, especially at S with Patrick Chung, TJ Ward and Jairus Byrd. He could be next in line to climb up the draft boards.

I think this is a key point. Those guys have shown they can play. And I think teams put more stock in things like that than people realize. He won't go in the 2nd round like those 3 guys, but I think Pleasant is a guy that will benefit from their success. Pleasant also is a guy that I think will see a huge boost at the combine. Some concerns that he is a tweener based on his position at Oregon, but I think he's a true SS. He looks to have good enough speed (4.5 range). He's good in the box and violent taking on blockers and hitting RBs. The big concern was his coverage ability, but I think he's starting to answer that with 3 INTs and 3 passes defensed (all vs. Andrew Luck) in his last 3 games. He's pretty raw in only his 2nd year at DB and was a highly recruited LB out of highschool, so I think he's a guy a team can draft, play on special teams as a rookie, and develop long-term into a starting NFL strong safety.