PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Colts vs. LSU

diabsoule
11-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I was listening to a local sports talk show and one of the hosts brought this up. Said he would make the Colts a 28 point favorite over LSU. What do you guys think? Would LSU beat the Colts? Would the Colts beat LSU? If so, would they beat them by 28?

prock
11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Straight up the Colts would win no doubt. By 28... Not quite so sure, but I would say probably.

Damix
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
The Colts would win, and if I had to guess the score I'd put it around 50-10.

murdamal86
11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
It wouldn't even be close. Think of how many people on LSU's roster will NEVER sniff the NFL and remember that the Colts....ARE in the NFL.

Think of mostly 25 year old and up lineman going up against teenage and early 20 players for LSU.

Do you REALLY think Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee are NFL Qb's?????

AntoinCD
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie up against any NCAA secondary is an easy win with any QB in the NFL.

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis would both have multiple sack games. Hell even Jerry Hughes may get in on the act.

The Colts are really, really bad in NFL standards but to say any college team would beat them is ridiculous. I would easily put them at least 28 point favourites

Splat
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis would both have multiple sack games.

These two alone would win the game.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Aw screw you guys.

edit: I posted without reading. Yes, I agree the Colts would win. But the fact that this is even a discussion topic sucks balls.

DraftSavant
11-15-2011, 01:08 PM
It wouldn't even be close. Think of how many people on LSU's roster will NEVER sniff the NFL and remember that the Colts....ARE in the NFL.

Think of mostly 25 year old and up lineman going up against teenage and early 20 players for LSU.

/endthread

Razor
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I think the Colts might very well be worse than the 2008 Detroit Lions. So I'm rolling with LSU on this one, even though it's close.

soybean
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
LSU wouldn't win but to say they'd win by 50 is a big stretch. I mean I don't think Curtis Painter and Donald Brown could score 50 points if they played 11 on 0.

EDIT: Also, let's not talk like LSU is some once in a generation team. They are completely one sided football team with an awesome defense and a jv offense.

Shane P. Hallam
11-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Colts would dominate.

prock
11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Colts would dominate.

They would definitely win, mainly cuz LSU couldn't score. But I don't think that the Colts offensive would put up more than 35.

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Colts would rape. Sandusky style.

Dallas357
11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Now the 08 gators on the other hand. Colts only 10 point favorite.

Complex
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Um No, the only team that would have a small chance would be the 2000-2001 Hurricanes.

Babylon
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Not sure about that last comment but yeah it wouldnt be close.

Who are the 3 people in here that would pick LSU, that seems odd.

soybean
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM

yeah cause tebow is lighting the world on fire right now.

Hurricanes25
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Um No, the only team that would have a small chance would be the 2000-2001 Hurricanes.

2001-2002 Hurricanes.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
LSU Wins 9-6 Neither team can score but Painter throws two interceptions and Jefferson won't have a chance to throw the ball.

Complex
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
2001-2002 Hurricanes.

My bad your right.

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie up against any NCAA secondary is an easy win with any QB in the NFL.

Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis would both have multiple sack games. Hell even Jerry Hughes may get in on the act.

The Colts are really, really bad in NFL standards but to say any college team would beat them is ridiculous. I would easily put them at least 28 point favourites

While I agree normally that any NFL team would kill any NCAA team, LSU and Alabama's secondary is loaded with NFL talent. Add in they'd have Tweedle Dee or Dum (Painter or Orvlovsky) throwing them the ball and I actually think this game would be closer than people think.

The Colts would still win, but I think only because those pass rushers would abuse the O-line.

AntoinCD
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
While I agree normally that any NFL team would kill any NCAA team, LSU and Alabama's secondary is loaded with NFL talent. Add in they'd have Tweedle Dee or Dum (Painter or Orvlovsky) throwing them the ball and I actually think this game would be closer than people think.

The Colts would still win, but I think only because those pass rushers would abuse the O-line.

LSU and Bama will likely have at least 3 starters (some elite starters) from each of their secondaries in the NFL but as of now they don't have the experience of playing against the best around. Look at Patrick Peterson this year, he took a few games to get up to speed with NFL WRs. Painter in Purdue wasn't a terrible QB either.

I don't think LSU has one WR or TE who would be better than any of the guys mentioned above for the Colts and Painter is a better QB than Jefferson or Lee. The Colts terrible offensive line would also be one of the best offensive lines in college and the pro game has way more complexities and subleties than in college.

LSU would have some players come out looking credible against the Colts however I think people who believe that they would beat any NFL team are really overrating LSU or underrating the Colts players.

This is all hypothetical anyway so it's hard to calculate the mitigating factors involved, such as players like Reggie Wayne who have clearly lay down this year for the Colts.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
In all honesty, the Colts could name their score in a game like this. Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee have never seen defenses like an NFL defense. They are more complex, faster, bigger than anything in college. The Colt's offensive line would manhandle the defensive line of LSU. Curtis Painter would have 10 seconds to throw the ball. That would be more than enough time for Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon, and the running backs to get open.

LSU would only score on a punt return (even then I doubt they would). This game would get out of hand in a hurry. If the Colts called off the dogs, 42-10. If the Colts played 100% for 60 minutes, 60-3

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I would argue that there isn't really anything too complex about the Colts defense and the majority of their player are terrible, small, and soft. But again the Colts would win because of their DEs alone.

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
The Colts would crush LSU.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I would argue that there isn't really anything too complex about the Colts defense and the majority of their player are terrible, small, and soft. But again the Colts would win because of their DEs alone.

I won't disagree that the Colts defense needs some serious work. But if you even just look at each player individually, it would be no contest. Freeney and Mathis alone would destroy the QB, as would Nevis (facing his former team). Bethea would have multiple picks. But little-known guys like Philip Wheeler and Pat Angerer were standout players in college as well. The entire teams' confidence would be sky-high and the LSU players would be nervous going against grown-ass men.

I will be the first to tell anybody that the Colts suck. But any college team would get rolled by any NFL team.

Ness
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Freeney would be in the backfield all day with Wayne smoking DB's. Colts dominate from start to finish.

cmarq83
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
The overall roster for the Colts sucks, but LSU would have absolutely no answer for Freeney and Mathis. Plus, as good as Matthieu and Claiborne are I'd take my chances with the Colts weapons over them.

General Zod
11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Ok I know the Colts are not a good football team, but come on, these are still NFL caliber players. Colts would roll them.

SickwithIt1010
11-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Why are these questions always asked? A college team could never beat a NFL team.

gpngc
11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
There are probably so many liability reasons as to why this type of thing would never happen but imagine if the worst record in the NFL played the BSC Champion instead of a pro bowl in Hawaii? It would be so ******* intriguing probably just for the point spread alone and would give NFL teams great motivation for not finishing last.

But it will never happen.

fear the elf
11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Why are these questions always asked? A college team could never beat a NFL team.

Exactly what I was thinking.

gpngc
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM

To be fair, he also posed the 28-point spread, which advances the question further and actually does make it pretty interesting to analyze.

Brodeur
11-15-2011, 03:19 PM
If it counts as a win-loss this year, the Colts would lay down and lose.

Dallas357
11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
yeah cause tebow is lighting the world on fire right now.

3-1 bitches. That team has what 16/22 players in the nfl? Plus janoris jenkins

jenkins and joe haden at cb. That team was loaded.

dannyz
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM

So What about the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers vs the 2008 Detroit Lions?

vidae
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM
I voted LSU for the luls. Colts would win.

fenikz
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
id take the Colts -28

MetSox17
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Not even the 01-02 Hurricanes could win, as they'd have Ken Dorsey playing QB for them. Though maybe if they just pounded the rock with Portis/Gore/McGahee.. they might have a shot.

Brent
11-15-2011, 05:13 PM
but he performed oral on one of the boys, so this confuses me.

TitanHope
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I remember when ESPN asked this about USC vs Texans (along with USC vs every great college team in history, before the loss vs Texas).

Colts all the way. The Colts' backups were probably the best players on their college teams.

PoopSandwich
11-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Do you really think Curtis Painter is an NFL QB?????

Colts would kill LSU though, this argument happens every year and it's stupid.

BaLLiN
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
gotta take the underdog, can't believe the Colts aren't considered the underdog for once

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
3-1 bitches. That team has what 16/22 players in the nfl? Plus janoris jenkins

jenkins and joe haden at cb. That team was loaded.

Really? Because 22/22 of the Colts starters are starters in the NFL. What college team can say that?

K Train
11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
this happens every year a team looks undefeated in college and completely defeated in the NFL.

it would be like 70-0

K Train
11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
but he performed oral on one of the boys, so this confuses me.

too good...haha

diabsoule
11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think LSU would win either. Just curious what everyone thought

BaLLiN
11-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Who is worse though, the 0-16 Detroit Lions (08-09) or the current Indianapolis Colts?

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
More interesting question is best college conference all-stars vs Colts. Not sure which conference that would be. Not SEC, their QBs stink.

The college team would be more talented, but Colts way more refined and technically sound.

Smooth Criminal
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Colts would win no doubt. They have 53 pro players on their roster, LSU might have 30 if they're lucky.

Smooth Criminal
11-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Who is worse though, the 0-16 Detroit Lions (08-09) or the current Indianapolis Colts?

Those lions would beat the colts by at least 14. They at least competed in a few games.

Complex
11-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Not even the 01-02 Hurricanes could win, as they'd have Ken Dorsey playing QB for them. Though maybe if they just pounded the rock with Portis/Gore/McGahee.. they might have a shot.

I would take Dorsey over Painter.

Complex
11-15-2011, 08:35 PM
More interesting question is best college conference all-stars vs Colts. Not sure which conference that would be. Not SEC, their QBs stink.

The college team would be more talented, but Colts way more refined and technically sound.

Tyler Wilson,Tyler Bray and Aaron Murray?

soybean
11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
why stop at college conference? what about the best college players against the worst pro team. You can have some top wideouts but if you have a qb that can't get them the ball then does it really matter? not to mention donald ****ing brown as your starting running back.

descendency
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
As bad as Curtis Painter is, he'd be the best QB on the field. LSU's defense may be elite and full of NFL talent, but LSU wouldn't score on the Colts.

kalbears13
11-15-2011, 09:31 PM

I started a poll for you :D

MetSox17
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I would take Dorsey over Painter.

Well then you must not remember how Ken Dorsey looked in the NFL. He was absolutely god awful. Curtis Painter would look like an All-Pro against an NCAA defense with an NFL offense.

CJSchneider
11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I voted for the Colts to win. Not because I really think they would, but because I feel bad for Colts fans.

thegreatone
11-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Anyone with common sense knows Indy would destroy LSU.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 11:54 PM
LSU isn't even one if those all time great college teams. While their Defense has some very good potential NFL players, I don't see anyone from that offense becoming anything more than a spot starter in the NFL. This LSU team would get beat pretty badly by a lot of college teams from the past decade (Miami, USC, Texas).

Complex
11-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Well then you must not remember how Ken Dorsey looked in the NFL. He was absolutely god awful. Curtis Painter would look like an All-Pro against an NCAA defense with an NFL offense.

First 2 season for Dorsey are pretty close to Painters.

Dorsey 1st 2 season in 10 starts 8 TDs and 11 INTs, completed 54% of his passes and had a passer rating of 63.7.

Painter 1st 2 season in 8 starts 5TDs and 9 INTs, completed 51% of his passes and has a passer rating of 60.6.

descendency
11-16-2011, 12:40 AM

Tom Brady on the 2001 Miami team...

Bucs_Rule
11-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Which Tom Brady?

College

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tom_brady_nfl_draft_combine_2000.jpg

NFL

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/i/Tom%20Brady%20Original%20Stetson%20Ad2.jpg

Complex
11-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Looking at the 2001 Hurricanes they might be able to beat them.

QB:Ken Dorsey > Painter but its debatable

RB:Clinton Portis,McGhaee,Gore,Davenport >>>>>>>> Addai,Carter and Brown

WR:Andre Johnson and Roscoe < Wayne,Garcon,Collie, and White

TE: Shockey, K2,and Kevin Everett > Clark and Tamme

OL: McKinnie and Veron Carey at OT,Chris Myers at C, and Martin Bibla and Carlos Joseph vs Castonzo and Linkenbach at OT,Saturday at C and Reitz and Diem at G. I would take Miami just barely.

DL: Wilfolk,William Joseph,Jerome McDougle and Jamaal Green vs Freeney,Mathis, Moala,and Antonio Johnson. I would take the colts.

LB: Vilma,D.J. Williams and Rocky McIntosh > Wheeler,Angerer and Kavell Conner. Miami easily

CB: Phillip Buchanon,Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph, Antrel Rolle and Marcus Maxey >> Kevin Thomas, Powers,Lacey,and Chris Rocker

S: ED Reed and Sean Taylor >>>>>>>>>>>> Bethea and David Caldwell

QB: Tie
RB: Miami
WR: INDY
TE: Miami
OL: Miami but close
DL: Colts
LB:Miami
CB:Miami
S: Miami

They only thing that INDY is clearly better than Miami at is DL and WR.

yodabear
11-16-2011, 01:24 AM
This a serious question? Of course the Colts would win. Yeah, sure it would be close perhaps. But I am sure people look at the whole Curtis Painter thing, but thats one of 22 positions.

7-11
11-16-2011, 01:39 AM

OL: McKinnie and Veron Carey at OT,Chris Myers at C, and Martin Bibla and Carlos Joseph vs Castonzo and Linkenbach at OT,Saturday at C and Reitz and Diem at G. I would take Miami just barely.

DL: Wilfolk,William Joseph,Jerome McDougle and Jamaal Green vs Freeney,Mathis, Moala,and Antonio Johnson. I would take the colts.

LB: Vilma,D.J. Williams and Rocky McIntosh > Wheeler,Angerer and Kavell Conner. Miami easily

CB: Phillip Buchanon,Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph, Antrel Rolle and Marcus Maxey >> Kevin Thomas, Powers,Lacey,and Chris Rocker

Sorry but that's a pretty terrible way to break it down. Sure a lot of those guys in that Miami team have gone onto be very good pros but at that stage they were 18-21 years old. I'd imagine many of those guys, while talented, would probably just get physically beaten up by those mediocre Colts guys that have been in the NFL for a few years.

Abaddon
11-16-2011, 01:56 AM
I'd give the Colts a standing ovation if they could break .500 in the SEC.

Abaddon
11-16-2011, 01:56 AM
This a serious question? Of course the Colts would win. Yeah, sure it would be close perhaps. But I am sure people look at the whole Curtis Painter thing, but thats one of 22 positions.

The most critical of the 22(24) positions.

yodabear
11-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Put Reggie Wayne in the wild cat or something. Problem solved. Don't let Blonde Jesus touch the ball.

Abaddon
11-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Might be better to put someone there who can still run.

ChiFan24
11-16-2011, 02:08 AM
My thrown together all-NCAA team vs. the Colts:

QB Andrew Luck
RB Trent Richardson
RB Lamar Miller
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Michael Floyd
WR Kendall Wright
TE Coby Fleener
TE Tyler Eifert
LT Matt Kalil
LG Cordy Glenn
C Peter Konz
RG David DeCastro
RT Jonathan Martin

RE Barkevius Mingo
DT Devon Still
DT Dontari Poe
LE Quinton Coples
WLB Zach Brown
MLB Luke Kuechly
SLB Vinny Curry
CB Morris Claiborne
CB Dre Kirkpatrick
CB Tyrann Mathieu
S T.J. McDonald
S Mark Barron

vs.

QB Dan Orlovsky
RB Donald Brown
RB Delone Carter
WR Reggie Wayne
WR Pierre Garcon
WR Austin Collie
TE Jacob Tamme
TE Brody Eldridge
LT Anthony Castonzo
LG Joe Reitz
C Jeff Saturday
RG Ryan Diem
RT Jeff Linkenbach

DE Dwight Freeney
DT Fili Moala
DT Antonio Johnson
DE Robert Mathis
WLB Kavell Connor
MLB Pat Angerer
SLB Phillip Wheeler
CB Jerraud Powers
CB Kevin Thomas
S David Caldwell
S Antoine Bethea

Pretty clear talent advantage for the NCAAs especially at QB and RB. It would be fun to watch.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 02:11 AM
First 2 season for Dorsey are pretty close to Painters.

Dorsey 1st 2 season in 10 starts 8 TDs and 11 INTs, completed 54% of his passes and had a passer rating of 63.7.

Painter 1st 2 season in 8 starts 5TDs and 9 INTs, completed 51% of his passes and has a passer rating of 60.6.

I don't care about stats, i'm talking about their ability to throw the football. Painter is obviously not even an average QB against NFL defenses but he has shown he can score, and he has a strong arm and good size. Against a college team defense, his guys would be so open it would be impossible to miss. Ken Dorsey wouldn't even be able to push the ball 15 yards down the field. I'm really starting to wonder whether you remember much of who Ken Dorsey was because he wasn't a very talented player. He was a game manager on one of the most historically talented teams in college football history. He sucked dick in the NFL.

wogitalia
11-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Is Andrew Luck at stake if the Colt's fail to win or is it purely for pride?

If Luck is there, it becomes very interesting.

28 is a massive line though, Colts should win this hypothetical, but them scoring 28 points is a massive stretch, that LSU defense is basically headed to the NFL, mostly as starters. This Colts offense, well half of it wasn't even that good in college.

whatadai
11-16-2011, 03:23 AM

You need to break it down by defense vs. offense.

Example: I would take Freeney and Mathis easily...but how would they do against a young McKinnie and Carey? They would destroy them and Dorsey would **** his pants and crawl into the fetal position a nanosecond after every snap.

How would the "young" Miami defensive line fare against the Colts? Colts offensive line wins.

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
My thrown together all-NCAA team vs. the Colts:

QB Andrew Luck
RB Trent Richardson
RB Lamar Miller
WR Justin Blackmon
WR Michael Floyd
WR Kendall Wright
TE Coby Fleener
TE Tyler Eifert
LT Matt Kalil
LG Cordy Glenn
C Peter Konz
RG David DeCastro
RT Jonathan Martin

RE Barkevius Mingo
DT Devon Still
DT Dontari Poe
LE Quinton Coples
WLB Zach Brown
MLB Luke Kuechly
SLB Vinny Curry
CB Morris Claiborne
CB Dre Kirkpatrick
CB Tyrann Mathieu
S T.J. McDonald
S Mark Barron

vs.

QB Dan Orlovsky
RB Donald Brown
RB Delone Carter
WR Reggie Wayne
WR Pierre Garcon
WR Austin Collie
TE Jacob Tamme
TE Brody Eldridge
LT Anthony Castonzo
LG Joe Reitz
C Jeff Saturday
RG Ryan Diem
RT Jeff Linkenbach

DE Dwight Freeney
DT Fili Moala
DT Antonio Johnson
DE Robert Mathis
WLB Kavell Connor
MLB Pat Angerer
SLB Phillip Wheeler
CB Jerraud Powers
CB Kevin Thomas
S David Caldwell
S Antoine Bethea

Pretty clear talent advantage for the NCAAs especially at QB and RB. It would be fun to watch.

The Colts would dominate this game too. I'd say 30% of those guys on the NCAA All Star team will be busts in the NFL and never be a long-term starter. The fact is, any NFL team would beat any combination of college players. They would beat them if they ran on every single down. This is like comparing men and women's basketball. You take the UCONN women (or an All Star team, I don't care). I'll take the worst Division I mens team. The men would win by 20.

ChiFan24
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
The Colts would dominate this game too. I'd say 30% of those guys on the NCAA All Star team will be busts in the NFL and never be a long-term starter. The fact is, any NFL team would beat any combination of college players. They would beat them if they ran on every single down. This is like comparing men and women's basketball. You take the UCONN women (or an All Star team, I don't care). I'll take the worst Division I mens team. The men would win by 20.

I think you're overstating it. Looking at that list, how many players would the Colts swap with their NCAA counterpart if they're trying to win in 2012? I'd say WR1, C, RE, LE, MLB and FS are the only places they wouldn't make the swap.

Of course, they do have the benefit of cohesion, so even if you give the NCAA's a couple weeks to prepare the Colts still have a clear advantage there. But I don't think it would be a blowout.