PDA

View Full Version : Media Thread

BeerBaron
11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Use this thread for posting stories and rumors about your team as well as any moves or picks you make.

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.silversquareinc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-indianapolis-star.jpg
COLTS ZERO IN ON ANDREW LUCK

Rumors are swirling in Indianapolis today that Indianapolis Colts' Asshole in Chief Bill Polian will use the first pick in the 2012 draft on Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

"Uh, yeah. DUH," said one team official, who spoke under condition of anonymity. "This has been the plan all along."

When asked to elaborate the source refused. "He has spies everywhere. I must go, I've stayed too long already."

Luck, widely considered the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning himself, is expected to declare for the 2012 NFL Draft despite having one more year of eligibility.

"I could stick around, and I love Stanford, but I've finished all my classes and had a lot of fun," said Luck. "Staying another year carries obvious risks with it and I think it's time to move on to the next chapter in my life."

ncst8fan83
11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.seeklogo.com/images/C/Charlotte_Observer-logo-4FA87CA93D-seeklogo.com.gif

A team spokesperson has indicated that the Panthers would like to move down a few spots in this year's draft.

"A number of teams have indicated their interest in moving into the number two overall position and we will certainly entertain any offers they may suggest," said the spokesperson.

The most up-to-date information can be found here where details will be reported as received.

redbills
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Bills sign C Adam Koets

Posted by Chris Brown on November 15, 2011 – 7:28 pm

Koets was waived by the Giants on the 8th. He signed a three-year deal just before tearing his ACL last November. He ended up having a second operation in August after complications developed. Koets apparently wasn't ready to resume practicing this week. The Giants opted to let him go rather than carrying him on the PUP list the rest of the way.

Caddy
11-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Tampa Bay are apparently in the market for a veteran receiver. PM their GM Caddy with any information.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
http://www.jbstyles.com/images/media/7_chicago_tribune.jpg

Hanie on the Move?

Sources close to the situation are reporting the Bears may be open to trading backup quarterback Caleb Hanie. Head coach Lovie Smith, General Manager Jerry Angelo, and the fourth-year player out of Colorado State all refused to comment.

Hanie, who nearly led the Bears to a comeback victory in the NFC Championship Game against the Packers after Jay Cutler went down to injury and Todd Collins went down to ineptitude, became expendable after the emergence of rookie quarterback Nate Enderle.

When asked about Enderle, offensive coordinator Mike Martz was ecstatic. "He has shown great improvements in practice. More importantly, he knows the system."

Although no specifics have been discussed, sources are reporting the Bears are asking for a third round pick in return.

comahan
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6170/logohoustonchronicle.jpg
Posted on April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm by Shane Ayala Jr (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/author/johnmcclain/) in Sports (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/category/general/)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5571/albertodelrio03.jpg

The 2011 Houston Texans were a team of destiny. They were destined to blow it on the big stage with Matt Leinart at the helm. Marred by injuries, lack of depth, and complete incompetence in the form of Gary "Yes, I really went for it on 4th & 13 from my own 17 while up two points in the fourth quarter of the AFC Title game against the Steelers" Kubiak, the Texans showed that they weren't quite ready for the big stage, and they showed that being a fan of theirs is torture on par with watching Entourage, the worst show in the history of television.

In fact, the 2011 Houston Texans reminded me of my travels, all of which you can read about in my autobiography 'Phenomenal Me', which is on sale at your local bookstore for a low low price of $49.95. I took a trip to New Orleans several years ago, and wound up on the bad end of a spiked drink. When I awoke, I discovered a midget—no larger than four feet tall—attempting to use voodoo on me! He was trying to wipe my mind so that he could speak of my accomplishments as though they were his own. Naturally, it didn't work, because voodoo—like God, Santa Claus, and Midgets with high self esteem—isnt real. I proceeded to karate chop the midget, knocking him out. Then, in a fit of rage very unlike me, I ruined this man's life forever—if you can indeed call a midget a man—in ways that I cannot fully elaborate on without incriminating myself. All I can tell you is that it involved a goat, Angelina Jolie's newly adopted baby infant Shiloh, a trebuchet, and an absurd about of funnel cake.

The reason I bring this up is because this man attempted to ruin my life. He tried to take everything that I had done, and render it useless. Meanwhile, being forced to endure the trainwreck that was the 2011 Houston Texans DID ruin my life, and as a journalist who is forced to cover them, I daresay their inadequacies have turned anyone who writes for them into a joke and HAS rendered the last decade of my life useless. Where the voodoo midget failed, The Houston Texans succeeded. And if I ruined the midgets life forever because he TRIED to ruin me, what on earth will I do to an organization that DID ruin me?

The answer is simple, I will tell them how to not be terrible, and it begins with the 2012 NFL Draft.

There are several key areas that the Texans could improve on. While I'm hearing that they are likely to look for a legitimate number two option behind Andre Johnson at Wide Receiver, some help in the defensive backfield to aid Jonathan Joseph, or an impact player at the defensive tackle position, I say poppycock to that. I say start at the top and replace Matt Schaub. Yes, he started 46 consecutive games for Houston before his injury last year, but the fact that he turned up with a foot injury while Houston was on the brink of greatness is indicative of his complete lack of moral fiber. In my opinion, Houston should mortgage whatever picks they must, and trade up to snag the top Quarterback in this years draft: Robert Griffin III.

While an upgrade over Kevin Walter as the #2 WR might be what Houston plans on doing, injecting the team with the playmaking ability of Robert Griffin will do more. While adding help in the secondary and replacing the complete abortion of a player that is Kareem Jackson might be on their radar, I think aborting Matt "Anti-Clutch, Always Injured, Lazy Eyed" Schaub is the smarter move. While adding beef to the middle of the line in place of Shaun "Cody Island" Cody—whose nickname is derived from the ONE play of worth he's made in his tenure as a Texan, an interception against some team of jabronies that arent even worth naming—is a legitimate option, why not replace a man who's made ZERO plays of substance during his run as a Texan in Matt Schaub?

While it may be likely that the ignorant, insipid, ego-driven, obsequious, moronic troglodytes that make up the front office of the Houston Texans will ignore my advice, and continue on in their mediocrity by addressing so called "needs" instead of replacing soul-crushing failures such as Matt Schaub, I will not give up in my righteous quest to make the Houston Texans—a team that I am forced to cover due to my job, and certainly not because of personal preference—a better product on the field.

In closing, I offer a chart of what I think SHOULD happen, opposed to what I think WILL happen.

SHOULD
Texans trade Matt Schaub, move up for Robert Griffin, Super Bowl!

WILL
Texans choose Wide Receiver to put opposite Andre, Schaub can't get him the ball, misery!

Hines
11-15-2011, 07:40 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/ppg.jpg

BREAKING NEWS:

We have learned that former Pro Bowl WR Hines Ward has retired. We do not know all the details, but we learned his decision about a hour ago.

"I've reached all I could in my career and now I need to go find another venture to do. I love the city of Pittsburgh and I'll miss playing in front of the best fans in the world. Thank you for everything", Hines said emotionally as he left in his car.

DiG
11-15-2011, 09:09 PM
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/tv_clips/washington-post.gif
Skins Part Ways with Sexy Rexy
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/Rex_Grossman_Starting_Redskins_Cowboys_Big.jpg

Washington Post is reporting that the Washington Redskins have decided not to pursue resigning UFA quarterback, Rex Grossman. Coach Mike Shanahan could not be reached for comment.

Shane P. Hallam
11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Tebow mania over?

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/quinn-tebow-orton.jpg

With Orton moving on, John Elway has been taking phone calls for both Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn for any prospective teams.

DiG
11-15-2011, 10:46 PM
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/tv_clips/washington-post.gif
Cult of Colt Returns to DC
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/11/27/2004038999.jpg

Following a horrific car accident in November 2010, Colt Brennan is getting a second chance. Colt was drafted in 2008 by the Washington Redskins then cut 2 seasons later.

Back in November 2011, Brennan said that he began working out at a facility called Fischer Sports in Phoenix, AZ, where he trained throughout the 2011 NFL season. “I’m going to continue to train for a possible return,” Brennan said. “I really love football.”

Now days before the 2012 NFL Draft, the Washington Redskins have resigned Colt Brennan to a 1 year contract. It is likely that the Redskins will also target a veteran QB in the likes of Matt Flynn as well as a rookie prospect which leaves Colt fighting with John Beck for the third spot in the rotation. Coming off a poor showing in 2011, Beck will have to prove a lot to keep a spot on this roster.

scottyboy
11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
The Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the Giants are quite open to shopping running back Brandon Jacobs and defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Should be interesting to see where this goes...

Grizzlegom
11-16-2011, 06:37 AM
http://www.seeklogo.com/images/S/Sun-Sentinel-logo-B797ABFB73-seeklogo.com.gif

The Miami Dolphins, under new head coach Jeff Fisher, are looking to move to a 4-3 defense. As such, they will allow 3-4 mainstays Paul Soliai and Kendall Langford walk in free agency and heavy rumors are that they are shopping other personnel to make the transition smoother, with Randy Starks and Cameron Wake being the two plays most heavily linked to trade rumors.

ImBrotherCain
11-16-2011, 08:43 AM
http://www.presentmusic.org/user_images/Journal_Sentinel_logo.jpg

Finely Franchised

We have learned that the Packers front office has officially placed the Franchise Tag on Tight End Jermichael Finley. Though Finley has been tagged there has been some discussion on what position he will qualify for. This season so far Finley has lined up in a standup position about half the time.

"I'm not going to sugarcoat it," Finley said at the time. "I think [from] a two-point, I can get on the linebacker quicker, I can get on the safety quicker and it's a win-win for me and [quarterback Aaron Rodgers]."

In a separate interview Finley had this to say. "Man I am a hybrid, just like my name. Half the time I line up on the outside or in the slot. I deserve to be paid for the position I play, not what I am listed at."

The Packers Brass understand where Finley is coming from but continue view the Tag as a fail-safe as they attempt to sign Finley to a long term contract.

killxswitch
11-16-2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.silversquareinc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/the-indianapolis-star.jpg
RUMOR: COLTS RECEIVE TRADE OFFER FROM SEAHAWKS

A seemingly-clear situation turned slightly murky at the W. 56th St. Colts Complex today.

According to sources close to the situation, the Colts received a trade offer early this morning from the Seattle Seahawks.

The deal is reported to include the Seahawks' 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in the 2012 draft, as well as an undisclosed future pick(s). In return the Seahawks would receive the #1 overall pick in the 2012 draft and, therefore, the rights to draft Standford quarterback prospect Andrew Luck.

When asked for comment, Colts Vice Douchebag Bill Polian punched staff reporter Bob Kravitz in the balls.

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Season Recap and Team Needs: NFC North
by DC Insider Rick Bennett

In this segment, we will take look at each team's 2011 season and the areas they need to improve most in through the draft.

Green Bay Packers:
The Green Bay Packers won their second straight Superbowl thanks in large part to unanimous league MVP Aaron Rodgers. The Packers offense was able to dominate thanks to a surplus of quality weapons in the passing game and a defense that forced a league high number of turnovers. If the Packers wish to make it to their third straight Superbowl next season however, they'll likely need to sure up some holes on a defense that, while it forced a lot of turnovers, was quite vulnerable at times.While it's hard to pin down exact positions where the Packers need help, there are a few areas which could stand to be upgraded.

1.) OLB - Clay Matthews experienced somewhat of a down year as opposing offenses were able to focus on stopping him. Another pass rush threat to take advantage of the double teams that Clay draws would be a great addition.

2.) Secondary Depth - While Traemon Williams looks as good as ever, Charles Woodson will only continue to slow down and nickel back Sam Shields regressed in his second year. With safety Nick Collin's future up in the air, safety depth could also be a concern.

3.) Backup QB - With current backup Matt Flynn expected to be a hot commodity on the free agent market, the Packers won't have anyone behind Aaron Rodgers on the depth chart. Not a high round need, but a quality mid-rounder to groom would be a good additoin.

Chicago Bears:
For two straight seasons, the Chicago Bears got off to a rocky start before finishing the season on a hot streak. The Bears were one of the few teams to play the Packers tough, delivering them their only loss of the season on Christmas Day. If the Bears wish to contend with and possibly surpass the Packers next year, they'll need to address a few key areas of need.

1.) O-line - While they will be getting last year's first round pick, RT Gabe Carimi, back from injury, every other spot on the offensive line could stand to be upgraded. The reason for their slow start in both the past two seasons was a severe lack of talent on the o-line. I expect this one to get addressed early and possibly often.

2.) #1 WR - The Bears have a nice group of #2/#3 type targets, headlined by Earl Bennett who had a great second half of the season after returning from injury, quickly becoming Jay Cutler's favorite target. However, a true #1 WR would be a great addition to the offense if one is available.

3.) Defensive depth - This goes for nearly every position on the defense. While most have solid starters, the depth is very lacking, particularly at LB, CB and DE. Whatever picks that aren't spent addressing the o-line or acquiring a top WR should be spend here.

Detroit Lions:
The Lions 2011 season started off on a high note and, though they struggled late in the regular season, they managed to limp into the playoffs for the first time since the Clinton administration. The Lions have a lot of talented youngsters, but there are definitely areas that require improvement if the Lions want to take that next step.

1.) Secondary - This is easily one of the biggest areas of weakness on the Lions roster. While they have great d-line talent up front, the back end of the defense had it's struggles and could use help.

2.) Left Tackle - Two years ago, Jeff Backus was personally responsible for the injury to franchise QB Matt Stafford. While he didn't allow any serious injuries this year, his level of play continued to degrade. With so many great pass rushers in the division, the Lions need a LT who can protect Stafford's blind side.

3.) Running Back - While the young pair of Best and LeShoure looked promising a year ago, Best has been sidelined with concussions and LeShoure will be coming back from a serious knee injury. While it's not a first round need, if a talent player falls to them at the position, they should consider going that direction as a safety net.

Minnesota Vikings:
The Donovan McNabb experiment blew up in the Vikings faces while the rest of the team continued in a steady decay. The team does have a bright spot in rookie QB Christian Ponder, and of course, franchise running back Adrian Peterson. In a division featuring 3 other playoff teams, it will be a challenge for the Vikings to turn the tide, but a good draft will go a long way towards doing just that.

1A.) Secondary - While injuries played a part in their struggles this season, this has still been an area of great concern for the Vikings. Antoine Winfield isn't getting any younger while others like Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson have simply failed to develop at all. Be it at corner or safety, the Vikings must add talent here.

1B.) O-line - No Vikings game was complete without seeing Ponder scrambling for his life or Peterson running into a wall. The Vikings o-line is quite a mess and they should look to address it early and, if possible, often.

2.) WR - While Percy Harvin was never considered to be a true #1 WR type player, the offense failed to find a way to utilized his unique talents properly. Losing Sidney Rice via free agency only weakened this already lackluster group for the Vikings further. If they find themselves with a chance to add talent here, they should.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the AFC North up next!

Hines
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/futuresteeler86/ppg.jpg

Aaron Smith, James Farrior Retire, Kemoeatu Cut

-We have learned that two long time starters for the Pittsburgh Steelers have retired this afternoon. DE Aaron Smith retires after finishing his third straight season on the IR. Considered one of the best and most underrated defensive lineman in the league, Smith was derailed by injuries.

Farrior, who signed a free agent contract with Pittsburgh in 2002, has been a may stay in the middle of Pittsburgh's defense since then. Always near the top regarding tackles for the team, he decided to retire after 15 years in the league. Farrior's good friend and back up, Larry Foote, will take over the middle linebacking spot.

The Steelers have released OG Chris Kemoeatu team sources tell me. Kemoeatu, a 6th round pick and starter since 2008, fell out of favor with the coaching staff due to his inconsistent play and his bonehead penalties. Considered one of the best run blocking guards in the AFC and the team's best puller, his pass blocking and mistakes grew tiring with the coaching staff.

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Season Recap and Team Needs: AFC North

In this segment, we will take look at each team's 2011 season and the areas they need to improve most in through the draft.

Pittsburgh Steelers:
Two years in a row, the Steelers have battled their way to the Superbowl only to be beaten by the Packers. While the Steelers offense has really taken off with it's great young weapons at WR, it's defense has gotten noticeably older and slower, struggling to force turnovers and giving up more big plays than usual. With stiff competition in the division, the Steelers will need to keep it's youth movement going in the draft to stay successful.

1.) Defensive Front 7 - With so many defenisve starters and contributors in their 30s, the Steelers will need to continue to select youngsters to develop for the future. This includes potential future starters at ILB, OLB and NT.

2.) O-line - While Pouncey and possibly Gilbert look like long term starters, the team could definitely use help at the other positions as well as overall depth. Several times this season, injuries forced the Steelers entire o-line bench onto the field.

3.) Safety - While Troy Polamalu is still playing well, both he and fellow starter Ryan Clark are on the wrong side of 30. Adding a young safety to provide depth now and be a starter down the line should be a Steelers priority.

Baltimore Ravens:
Though the Ravens finally bested the Steelers twice during the regular season, their infamous trait of playing down to their competition bit them hard in games against Jacksonville and Seattle, leading to another Wildcard spot and playoff exit. A good draft could be just what this team needs to help push them over the top.

1.) O-line - Though the Ravens managed to rehabilitate washed up free agents Bryant McKinnie and Andre Gurode, neither is a long term solution. Center Matt Birk is also well past his prime and is in the final year of his contract.

2.) ILB - Ray Lewis may seem ageless, but sooner or later he, at age 36, like everyone else, will start slowing down. Depth is also sorely lacking with Jameel McClain best off as a role player and backup Brendan Ayanbadejo more of a special teams ace. (He is also 35.)

3.) Safety - Like Lewis, Ed Reed also isn't going to be around forever. While they have solid spot starters and backups in Bernard Pollard, Tom Zbikowski and Haruki Nakamura, free agency will likely take it's toll on that group within the next 2 years.

Cincinnati Bengals:
One of the biggest surprises of the 2011 season, the Bengals were far more competitive than anyone could have expected. With some great young rookies in Andy Dalton and AJ Green to build around on offense, as well as an extra first rounder from the Carson Palmer trade, the Bengals appear to be in great shape to keep moving forward.

1.) Safety - The Bengals have a surprising amount of young talent on defense...everywhere except for safety. Chris Crocker and Reggie Nelson are veteran journeyman at best, so a talented high round pick would really add some kick to the position.

2.) RB - Cedric Benson has been fairly unimpressive this season, lacking explosiveness and averaging only 3.5 ypc. His contract is also up after this year. Bernard Scott looks like he could be a quality player with more playing time, but would benefit from splitting carries with someone.

3.) CB - Before leaving via free agency, Jonathan Joseph made a great partner across the field from Leon Hall. Nate Clements should only be relied on as a stop gap at the position, meaning that if the Bengals have a shot at a top CB prospect, they should take him.

Cleveland Browns:
The Bengals took the step that many expected the Browns to take this season. Colt McCoy and the offense looked really lackluster as last season's hero Peyton Hillis struggled with injuries and a contract dispute. In such a tough division, the Browns will need a great draft to get back into the thick of things.

1.) Skill on Offense (QB, RB, WR) - One of the biggest reasons for the team's struggles is the simply lack of talent to move the ball on offense. While Colt McCoy hasn't been outright bad, he hasn't progressed much either. Additionally, it looks like the end of the line for Peyton Hillis at RB and at WR, the team has only Greg Little and return specialist Joshua Cribbs. Adding an elite talent at any of those positions will help drastically.

2.) LB - Though the team has done well to add DL and secondary talent in the last couple of drafts, they lack a real impact player at the LB position.

3.) More Skill on Offense (QB, RB, WR) - Take whatever they didn't take the first time through. Seriously.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the NFC East up next!

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Rumor Mill: #2 Pick on the Move?

Word is spreading that a yet unnamed team is close to a deal with the Carolina Panthers for the #2 pick in the draft.

While Andrew Luck is sure to go #1 overall, whether to the Colts or a team they trade with, the #2 pick could shift the way the rest of the draft falls.

The team trading into the #2 slot is rumored to be interested in one of USC's products: QB Matt Barkely or LT Matt Kalil.

More on this news is sure to follow, so stay tuned.

Unbiased
11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
The Florida Times Union is reporting that FB Greg Jones, C Brad Meester, DE Aaron Kampman are available for trade. The Jaguars are listening to all offers.

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Season Recap and Team Needs: NFC East

New York Giants:
After a near playoff miss in 2010, the Giants rebounded in 2011 to take the division crown. Eli Manning played at an elite level with a good array of targets to throw to and the Giants defense managed to survive some injuries and still create havoc for opposing offenses. The team was hardly flawless however, and an infusion of talent via the draft will help them continue to improve.

1.) O-line depth - Specifically RT. Kareem McKenzie isn't getting any younger and is a free agent at the end of this season. Depth could be afforded all across the line as well.

2.) CB: Aaron Ross will be a free agent at the end of the year, as will Terrell Thomas who is coming off of a significant injury. Even if Prince Amukamara gets healthy and plays well, depth will be needed.

3.) TE: Though Jake Ballard has performed beyond expectations, Travis Beckum has been a bust and Bear Pascoe is more of a FB/H-back type of player. Plus, with the premium on TEs in the league right now, having more than one who can make plays is a great thing to have.

Dallas Cowboys:
The Cowboys seemed to experience their usual struggles this season, but at the end, just narrowly missed out on making the playoffs. While the Cowboys have a good amount of talent, they do have a few key areas of weakness they will need to sure up to be competitive in the NFC.

1.) Interior O-line - Both Montrae Holland and Kyle Kosier are getting past their prime while center Phil Kosta could stand to be upgraded. Fixing this weakness would improve the run game and better protect Romo.

2.) Secondary - Injuries have been an issue for the team's corners, but depth is still needed to keep Alan Ball as far from the field as possible. The same goes at safety where Abram Elam and Gerald Sensabaugh are solid but unspectacular.

3.) WR - Miles Austin and Laurent Robinson seem to exchange injuries while Dez Bryant has had his issues as well. The team could stand to upgrade Ogletree and Holley behind their starters as well.

Washington Redskins:
Early season promise faded quickly as the Redskins fell apart during the season. No coach other than Joe Gibbs has lasted longer than 2 seasons with Dan Snyder as owner, and the father/son Shanahans may find themselves out of a job as well.

1.) QB - Grossman proved to be his inconsistent self while John Beck proved to be consistently bad. Lucky for them, this year is deep with high rated QBs thanks to many of the best juniors declaring.

2.) WR - The oft-injured (of late) Santana Moss is the Redskins only quality threat at the position. For whoever their new QB is going to be to succeed, they will need more viable pass catchers than they currently have.

3.) Trenches - On both sides of the ball, the Redskins need to add more quality talent to the trenches. Trent Williams is the only real stud the Redskins have on the o-line and the d-line is full of average-solid journeyman. More elite talent on either would be helpful.

Philadelphia Eagles:
The failed "Dream Team" incarnate. The team and long time head coach Andy Reid seem destined for a split, either via firing or resignation. It may be up to someone else to try and pick up the shattered dreams of this franchise.

1.) LB - A big reason why the "Wide 9" defense failed the Eagles is because they lacked any "enforcer" type linebackers to control the gaps. This draft is ripe with talented linebackers though, so the Eagles should be able to address this early.

2.) Interior O-line - Jason Peters is solid enough at LT and Todd Herremans has been adequate despite being moved all over the line, but more help is needed. Youngsters Julian Vandervelde, Jason Kelce and Danny Watkins have all struggled. Upgrades and depth are needed.

3.) QB - I have my doubts that anyone is going to get more out of Michael Vick than Andy Reid has. Even if a potential new coach decides to stick with Vick, Vince Young is a free agent and Mike Kafka has struggled when he's been on the field.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the AFC East up next!

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Season Recap and Team Needs: AFC East

New England Patriots:
Despite being big time preseason favorites, the Patriots struggled uncharacteristically during parts of the season. Their high powered offensive attack was stymied and their defense was consistently one of the worst in football. It's nothing short of a small miracle that the team even made the playoffs. However, the Pats may only be a few key pieces away from returning to an elite level of play and have the most picks to play with in the first 3 rounds.

1.) Pass Rusher - Belichick has been ignoring this need for several years running now. It would take a lot of pressure off the beleaguered secondary if they can cut down on the time the opposing QB has to throw the ball.

2.) Deep Threat WR - While the Pats have plenty of great possession targets in Gronk, Hernandez, Welker and Branch, they lack anyone who can stretch the field to take the top off of the defense. Add a player who can get open deep even just a few times a game and it will really open up the underneath stuff the Pats love.

3.) Interior O-line - When healthy, it looks like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer will be the Pats future at the tackle positions, but the interior of the line could use upgrades and future starters, namely at center and RG where Brian Waters has played well, but isn't a long term answer.

New York Jets:
For the first time in Rex Ryan's tenure, the Jets have failed to reach the AFC Championship game. Or even the playoffs. I don't expect the big talking Ryan to become silent anytime soon though, as the team can still be dangerous if they can find consistency.

1.) 3-4 OLB - Calvin Pace isn't getting any younger and has had a down year in 2011 while Bryan Thomas is even older and will be coming back from a serious injury, leaving the Jets pass rushers looking mighty thin.

2.) Safety - Eric Smith is solid, but not a real playmaker and Jim Leonhard will be a free agent in 2012. Getting an impact guy for the back end of the secondary would make the Jets defense much more dangerous.

3.) WR - Burress isn't a long term solution and it seems that people tend to forget that Santonio Holmes is still one slip up away from a years suspension. Jeremy Kerley would ideally remain a slot guy as well.

Buffalo Bills:
A hot start to the season made the Bills seem like serious contenders, but they fell flat to end the season and missed out on the playoffs. If they hope to continue to improve, they will need a quality draft to put themselves into contention.

1.) 3-4 OLB - The Bills entire LB corps is a revolving door mess at this time, but in particular the OLBs are a mess. It looks like Shawne Merrimen is done and they are left with a dearth of talent at the position.

2.) OT - Demetrius Bell has been injured for much of this season and will be a free agent while RT Erik Pears is also a free agent to be as he approaches 30 years of age. At the very least, depth is needed if not new starters.

3.) CB - Terrence McGee isn't getting any younger, Drayton Florence is solid at best and Leodis McKelvin is looking like a bust. Some depth, if not an eventual starter, should be looked into.

Miami Dolphins:
Tony Sparano made sure to win just enough games to take Miami out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. This team played some bad football, but isn't completely without talent. They have a long way to go in order to rebuild, starting with this draft.

1.) QB - Stick a fork in Chad Henne, he's done in Miami. Matt Moore looks like a serviceable backup, but they absolutely should not pass on a franchise signal call early in the draft because of him.

2.) Pass Rusher - Whether their new coach stays with the 3-4 or not, the team must find a pass rusher for opposite Cameron Wake as they've gotten very little production out of anyone there recently.

3.) Safety - Yeremiah Bell is solid, but is 33 and the team doesn't have anyone worthwhile to pair with him. A young, talented safety would be a great addition.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the NFC South up next!

killxswitch
11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
PEYTON MANNING CLEARED TO PARTICIPATE IN ALL TEAM ACTIVITIES

Indianapolis Colts Vice Jerkface Bill Polian called a press conference today to announce that against all odds, Peyton Manning will be back with the Colts next year.

"It's a great day for Colts fans, and for my legacy," said Polian.

Polian refused to speculate on how this would affect the team's draft strategy.

"We've planned to have him back all along. If a QB, whoever that is, turns out to be the right pick, then that is who we will pick. But we have not ruled out anything."

killxswitch
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
TRADE TALKS HEAT UP

Just days ago it seemed impossible that the winless Colts would even consider trading out of the top pick.

However, reports have begun to surface that multiple teams have offered king's ransoms for the #1 overall pick and the right to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

Couple that with the news that injured Colts signal caller Peyton Manning was cleared by team doctors to fully participate in upcoming minicamps, and the number 1 pick might be up for grabs.

"Imagine the Ricky Williams deal, and then lose a few more braincells. That's what we're talking about here," said one NFL front office executive.

With just hours until the first pick can be made, it is no longer assured that the Colts will stand pat and take the best QB prospect of the last decade.

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Season Recap and Team Needs: NFC South

New Orleans Saints:
Two years removed from their own Superbowl victory, the Saints made a strong push this year, proving to be one of the few teams capable of running with the Packers offensively. However, their defense was still the team's weakest spot so there is definitely room for improvement. They are without a first round pick however, which will make things more challenging.

1.) OLB - It seems like every year, the Saints get mocked some OLBs to compliment Vilma. And each year, they don't take any. (At least early.) Perhaps it's time for that to change?

2.) O-line Depth - While the Saints have some quality players along the o-line, particularly at guard, their depth looks precariously thin. RT also remains a question mark as neither Strief nor Brown has really taken that spot over.

3.) CB - The team has invested a number of high picks at the position in recent years, but production hasn't quite matched the investment. Tracy Porter is additionally a free agent to be.

Atlanta Falcons:
After earning the #1 seed in 2010, the Falcons took a step back this year. Like the Saints, they do not have a first round pick so drastic improvement will be a challenge.

1.) CB - To keep up with high powered offenses like the Packers and Saints in the NFC, you need a deep secondary. Beyond Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes, the Falcons CB depth is spotty at best.

2.) TE - Tony Gonzalez is noticeably slowing down and the Falcons don't currently have a long-term replacement on the roster.

3.) O-line Depth - Up until last season, the Falcons got by with a "lunch pail" unit, but pass blocking hasn't held up recently. Depth and possible upgrades should be considered.

Tampa Bay Bucs:
One of the league's bigger disappointments in 2011 was the Bucs. Much of their young talent failed to produce but they also have several areas of concern to address.

1.) CB - Ronde Barber could hang it up any time now and Aqib Talib is one more mistake from possibly being cut or suspended. A capable CB to provide depth and step in as a starter if needed is a must.

2.) Safety - Speaking of suspensions, Tanard Jackson is returning from a year long one and is one night of partying away from being suspended again, this time permanently. The rest of the safeties on the roster are ideally just depth players.

3.) An Offensive Playmaker - It could be at any of the skill positions, but the Bucs need a player who can strike fear into opposing defenses and open things up for their solid but unspectacular current players.

Carolina Panthers:
The Panthers certainly looked like a much improved team from 2010 and Cam Newton has shown a lot of promise. But a tough schedule and division had them picking once again in the top 2. They could definitely use this opportunity to find another elite player to build their roster around.

1.) DT - The Panthers started two rookies for much of this season and neither looks like a difference maker. A true stud at the position would make their d-line much more deadly.

2.) WR - Steve Smith rebounded terrifically this year but is still an injury prone 32 year old. They have a good young TE in Greg Olsen but no other pass catchers have really stepped up.

3.) Secondary Depth - The Panthers have a few talented starters but depth is sorely lacking. Try naming one of their safeties for instance.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the AFC South up next!

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Season Recap and Team Needs: AFC South

Houston Texans:
The team's first playoff birth in franchise history became bittersweet when starting QB Matt Schaub was injured. Matt Leinart managed to play mistake free and guide the team to the AFC Championship game before finally falling. If the Texans would like to stay at that level of production, they'll need to sure up a few weaknesses through the draft.

1.) DE/DT - JJ Watt looks like a keeper at one DE spot, but Antonio Smith and Shaun Cody are nothing to write home about. Adding some young talent at those positions would be of great benefit to the Texans.

2.) OLB - Mario Williams will be a free agent and is coming off of a season ending injury. Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin could make for a solid duo, but you can never had too many pass rushers.

3.) Safety - Dan Manning was a solid free agent pickup but was injured for most of 2011. A quality starter for opposite him as well as some depth would be great additions.

Tennessee Titans:
If someone told you that Chris Johnson would have a terrible year in 2011, you probably wouldn't have given the Titans much of a change. However, solid defensive play and Matt Hasselbeck nearly got this team to the playoffs.

1.) Interior O-line - The Titans have a great pair of bookend tackles but the interior of the o-line hasn't been playing well. Upgrades could be used at any of the 3 positions and an investment there would certainly help Johnson get back on track.

2.) Safety - Chris Hope is getting older, coming off an injury and will be a free agent. The team needs someone to pair with Michael Griffin in the defensive backfield.

3.) D-line Depth - Jason Jones is set to be free agent and the unit is fairly lackluster overall. Adding another talented youngster would definitely help.

Jacksonville Jaguars:
Blaine Gabbert was definitely the roughest looking of the rookie QBs who got playing time in 2011, but with MJD and a solid defense, the Jags make for a good situation for him to turn it around. He'll need help though.

1.) WR - The Jags lack a true #1 WR, with the 5'8 Mike Thomas as the closest thing they have. Having a reliable, athletic pass catcher would certainly help in Gabbert's development.

2.) DE - In a league where getting pressure on the opposing QB is a must, you have to do better than Matt Roth and Jeremy Mincey at the DE position.

3.) CB - Rashean Mathis will be a 32 year old free agent coming off of a knee injury and the other corners on the roster are unspectacular at best.

Indianapolis Colts:
Not much can be said about the pathetic performance of the Colts in 2011. Even with Peyton Manning, it would have been a stretch for this team to accomplish much beyond going .500. Manning may return, but the team has a lot of key free agents to decide on and a #1 overall pick to use.

1.) O-line - This is a unit that could still use a lot of work in order to help keep Manning, or a new QB, upright and to help open holes in the run game.

2.) DT - A stud DT would really help to sure up the Colts run defense which has always been abysmal.

3.) QB? - There's no doubt that the Colts will be tempted by Andrew Luck, regardless of Manning's status. Even if he returns, he'll be 36 with a history of neck injuries. This will definitely draw consideration.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the NFC West up next!

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Season Recap and Team Needs: NFC West

San Francisco 49ers:
One of the surprise teams of 2011, NFL Coach of the Year Jon Harbaugh led the 49ers to a surprise trip to the NFC Championship game where they gave the Packers all they could handle. Alex Smith's impeding free agency will be the teams biggest offseason decision, but the rest of the team is solid and looking good for the future.

1.) Interior O-line - Chilo Rachal has been the o-line's biggest weak spot and is due to become a free agent in 2012. Jonathan Goodwin was a decent free agent pickup, but will be 33 and could possibly be upgraded.

2.) CB - Carlos Rogers was only on a one year deal and if the team is forced to franchise Alex Smith, bringing him back could be a challenge. Even if they do, the rest of the unit could stand to be upgraded.

3.) OLB - Aldon Smith looks like a keeper but Ahmad Brooks is set to become a free agent while Parys Haralson is only solid at best. Another stud pass rusher would really make this LB corps dangerous.

Seattle Seahawks:
A year after being the first losing team to make the playoffs, the Seahawks had another losing season but ended up nowhere near the playoffs. There are some pockets of talent on the roster but it's going to take a good draft to get back into playoff contention.

1.) QB - Neither Tarvaris Jackson nor Charlie Whitehurst is the long term answer for this team. Lucky for them, there are a number of highly rated QB prospects available this year, so they should be able to come away with one of them at pick #10.

2.) DE - Red Bryant may be good for stuffing the run, but he's not exactly a threatening edge rusher. No other DEs on the roster are particularly threatening either so this is a big need.

3.) LB - Lofa Tatupu and Aaron Curry have been sent packing, leaving the team somewhat devoid of legitimate talent in the LB corps. An impact player here would really help out the defense.

Arizona Cardinals:
The Cardinals have fallen a long way from nearly toppling the Steelers in the Superbowl. They have a lot of holes to fill and will have to do it being down a 2nd round pick from the Kevin Kolb trade.

1.) O-line - This line simply can't protect the QB or open holes in the run game. Pretty much any position along it could stand to be upgraded, so look for them to go this route early and often.

2.) Secondary Depth - Adrian Wilson is 32 while Kerry Rhodes has struggled to stay healthy this season. At CB, outside of stud rookie Patrick Peterson, the group looks fairly weak.

3.) QB - Kevin Kolb has been abysmal as a Cardinal (not that he was very good with the Eagles) but the team has invested too much to move away from him now. John Skelton has won several starts in his stead, but if the Cardinals have a top QB prospect fall into their laps, they very well may consider going this direction.

St. Louis Rams:
Another incredibly disappointing team, the Rams were expected by many to take control of this division with Sam Bradford in command. Bradford spent much of the season injured and looked sub-par when healthy. The defense under Steve Spagnulo also struggled mightily.

1.) WR - The Rams have packed about as many #3/#4 WRs onto their roster as humanly possible, but completely lack a real #1 target for Bradford.

2.) CB/S - The Rams pass defense was awful throughout 2011. This was in part due to injury, but they really lacked much talent to begin with. Quentin Mikell might be the only keeper in the secondary currently.

3.) DT - Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan are both well on the wrong side of 30 and the team has very little worthwhile depth at the position.

Stay tuned as we continue to recap the teams by division with the AFC West up next![/QUOTE]

BeerBaron
11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=BeerBaron;2751761]Season Recap and Team Needs: AFC West

Oakland Raiders:
The Raiders eeked out playoff birth in a surprisingly awful division. It seems unlikely they manage to stay on top for long however, as they've basically traded their entire draft for 3 different QBs. That makes it hard to built up the rest of the roster around them.

NO PICKS!

San Diego Chargers:
The disappointing Chargers disappointed again with a disappointing season. Phillip Rivers took about 5 steps back as he struggled mightily all season long. The rest of the team wasn't much better.

1.) RT/OT Depth - Jeromey Clary has had his struggles on the right side of the line, and Brandon Dombrowski proved he had no business on the field struggling as a reserve when called upon. Protecting Rivers to get him back on track is a must.

2.) OLB - Since Shawn Merriman started sucking (stopped doing steroids) the Chargers have been without an impact pass rusher. In the competitive AFC, you must have someone to get after the opposing QB.

3.) ILB - Takeo Spikes isn't getting any younger at 34, and his primary backup, Na'il Diggs isn't much younger at 33. The team could use a solid young interior LB headed forward.

Kansas City Chiefs:
The Chiefs caught the INJURIEZZ bug this season, losing most of their best players fairly early in the year before limping to the finish. While they will improve when the get Berry and Charles back next season, the rest of the team is hardly free of issues.

1.) Interior O-line - Casey Weigmann is one of the oldest non-specialists in the league and will need replaced asap. The guard positions currently sport adequate players, but they could stand to add competition to the position.

2.) NT - Kelly Gregg isn't much younger than Weigmann and the team doesn't have another true NT on the roster. For any 3-4 defense to succeed, that is a key position to address.

3.) ILB - The team could use another quality starter next to Derrick Johnson, as Jovan Belcher is set to become an RFA in 2012 and the team doesn't have much else worthwhile at the position.

Bonus:) QB - Matt Cassel is not a franchise QB and his injury this season won't help his chances of remaining the Chiefs starter beyond. If one of the top QB prospects falls to the Chiefs, they should definitely consider him.

Denver Broncos:
The Broncos won a few more games than expected with Tim Tebow at QB, but opposing defenses caught on rather quickly to the gimmick system after a successful start. Denver will need to do a lot of work to become competitive in a traditional fashion any time soon.

1.) QB - This is a passing league and Tim Tebow throwing the ball only 8 times a game won't get it done. They need to start fresh with an elite QB prospect.

2.) CB - Beyond the aging Champ Bailey, the Broncos simply have nothing worthwhile at the position.

3.) RB - Knowshon was looking like a borderline bust even before his knee injury while Willis McGahee isn't the long term answer at the position.

TitanHope
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.mtsunews.com/wp-content/themes/test_education/images/header2.jpg
By TitansInsider Drew Foust

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8408/leeeeeeroooooooooooy.jpg

Shock rang out throughout Baptist Sports Park as an unknown assailant attacked Titans's LG Leroy Harris this afternoon.

Details are still unknown, but the police chief has said in a statement that there was an eyewitness who said she saw "some twitchy black dude with tacky ass teeth just came up out of nowhere and attacked Carl from Steve Urkel."

Stay tuned to MTSU News for further up to the minute details!

marshallb
11-16-2011, 11:02 PM
http://stylishsoiree.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/sd-union-trib-logo.jpg
Chargers Clean House
The San Diego Chargers announced that they have fired General Manager AJ Smith and Head Coach Norv Turner. Chargers Owner Alex Spanos announced that the Chargers needed to make some changes after another disappointing season, and it was made in big ways after they fired the two head men.

Spanos also announced that they had already repaced AJ Smith, saying that Marshall Bauer would be the new General Manager and would play a huge role in the hiring of a new coach. Bauer said, "We're narrowing our list down and have a few guys that we're gonna bring in for second interviews, but right now we're not gonna release any names." A source within the Chargers organization says that the list includes big name former coaches like Bill Cowher, Brian Billick, Herm Edwards, and high profile assistants like Perry Fewell and Mike Zimmer, and current Chargers offensive coordinator Clarence Shelmon.

redbills
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Buffalo Looking to Move CB McGee, Willing to deal #17
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7763/rsztmcgee.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/rsztmcgee.jpg/)

Rumor has it that Buddy Nix & Co. are looking to trade the vet DB for a mid round pick or a few late round picks. They are also willing to move down from pick 17 in the 1st round.

marshallb
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
http://stylishsoiree.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/sd-union-trib-logo.jpg
Chargers Interested in Trading Down
A source within the Chargers organization said that the team is accepting offers to move down from the 14th overall pick in the first round. The source said that the team is high on a lot of players who will be available in the middle of the first round and feel that they can get one of those players while still moving down a bit.

jrdrylie
11-17-2011, 09:06 AM
http://www.jbstyles.com/images/media/7_chicago_tribune.jpg

Bears Pull a Shocker

In the days leading up to the draft, rumors were swirling that the Chicago Bears were very interested in trading back. In fact, sources close to General Manager Jerry Angelo report that he was actively negotiating with multiple teams. But when draft day came, the Bears shocked everyone, jumping ten spots in the first round. Chicago traded their first round pick (22nd overall) and the third round pick received from Carolina in the trade of Greg Olsen (68 overall) to the Broncos in exchange for the 12th overall selection.

"This was not something we planned" Angelo stated when asked about the trade. "but when you see a player you have rated so highly drop, you have to pull the trigger."

That player was Jonathan Martin. The 6'6", 304 pound tackle out of Stanford, who has done an admirable job protecting first overall pick Andrew Luck, was widely considered a top-ten prospect. Now he will be taking the task of protecting Jay Cutler's blind side, a job formerly held by J'Marcus Webb.

"With the addition of Jonathan, our offensive line should be set for many season." Replied offensive line coach Mike Tice. "J'Marcus played well at tackle, but we feel his future is at guard. The pick of Martin will help solidify two positions."

It remains to be seen how this will affect former first round pick Chris Williams. The oft-injured Williams, who spent much of the 2011 season on Injured Reserve, will almost certainly lose his starting job. Look for the Bears to place him on the trading block.

BeerBaron
11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Top 12 Analysis

1.) Indianapolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
This pick was a no brainer. Though reports are that Peyton Manning is expected to be able to play again, getting his future successor on board ensures that the Colts will have another franchise QB ready to pick right up. Expectations may be unrealistic high for Luck, considered by many the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning or even fellow Stanford Cardinal John Elway, but a year to learn under Manning would be highly beneficial.

2.) Arizona Cardinals (from CAR) -OT Matt Kalil, USC
The Cardinals traded their first and third round picks this year as well as a conditional #1 next year in order to acquire the draft's top LT prospect. Kevin Kolb was a major disappointment in his first year with the Cardinals but better protection may help turn things around. Still, this was a lot to give up.

3.) Miami Dolphins - QB Matt Barkely, USC
Finally, after nearly 13 years, the Dolphins seem to have a legitimate successor to Dan Marino. After investing numerous 2nd round picks on so-so QBs in that time, the Dolphins have invested a high first rounder in the position. Many had Barkley rated only slightly below Andrew Luck and he appears to have all the tools to become a franchise QB.

4.) Minnesota Vikings - CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
While the Vikings would have ideally addressed the LT position with Kalil, he was taken before they got the chance. Instead, they take one of the draft's best CB prospects in Claiborne here. With Antoine Winfield aging and Asher Allen awful, this was a huge area of need for the Vikings.

5.) St. Louis Rams - WR Justin Blackmon, Ok. St.
The Rams took a step in the wrong direction this year, due in large part to a lack of pass catching playmakers on offense. Blackmon instantly becomes their #1 WR and has the skills to be an elite player in this league.

6.) Carolina Panthers - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
The Panthers picked up some nice picks from Arizona in their trade down from #2 overall, then selected a stud CB in Kirkpatrick here. He should help sure up the Panthers pass defense, which is critical in their quality division.

7.) Cleveland Browns - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
The Colt McCoy experiment has apparently ended with a loud "thud." Though he was far from terrible, he wasn't particularly good either. Jones has the tools of a franchise QB and should compete with McCoy for the starting job as a rookie.

8.) Jacksonville Jaguars - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
The Jaguars had one of the weakest groups of receivers in the NFL in 2011, so adding Floyd here will help tremendously. He will provide a great possession target for Blaine Gabbert, who struggled mightily as a rookie.

9.) Cleveland Browns (from PHI) - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
Two picks after taking their QB of the future, the Browns traded up using the first rounder they acquired from Atlanta last year in order to secure the draft's top RB prospect in Richardson. He should definitely provide the punch the Browns offense so desperately needs.

10.) Seattle Seahawks - QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
It was clear that the Seahawks did not have a legitimate QB on their roster in 2011, so they went out and took the highly talented Griffin here. He is easily the most athletic QB in the class and is coming off of a record smashing year at Baylor.

11.) Washington Redskins - OG David DeCastro, Stanford
With no QBs currently on the board that Washington was interested in, they decided to help whoever their QB does end up being by drafting a great o-lineman in DeCastro. He is easily one of the best guard prospects to come a long in a while and will greatly improve the interior of the Redskins o-line.

12.) Chicago Bears (from DEN) - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
One pick after DeCastro came off the board, his line-mate at Stanford follows suit. The Bears traded up to grab a blindside protector for Jay Cutler. With last year's selection of Gabe Carimi, this pick will hopefully give the Bears a great set of bookend tackles for years to come.

redbills
11-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Buffalo Going 43, Fire Edwards promote Wannstedt to DC
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3133/daverg.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/daverg.jpg/)

Buffalo has fired DC George Edwards. In his place ILB coach Dave Wannstedt will take over and is moving to a full time 43 D. The past two years Edwards has been running a mix of 34 and 43. All that was doing was letting teams run wild as the Bills have had one of the worse run d's the last two years. Backing the 43 move was first round pick Quinton Couples from UNC.
The starting front four now looks like Couples, Williams and Dareus with Dwan Edwards and Alex Carrington in a battle for the LDE spot.

killxswitch
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
IRSAY FIRES ER'BODY, ANNOUNCES NEW GENERAL MANAGER
http://indianapolis-indiana.funcityfinder.com/files/2009/12/Colts-President-Bill-Polian.jpg

Months ago Indianapolis Colts owner and head tweeter Jim Irsay gave Vice Douchebag Bill Polian the dreaded vote of confidence. Similarly, Polian gave the media similar assurances regarding head coach Jim Caldwell and his staff.

Now, they're all gone. Both Polians, Caldwell, defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, offensive coordinator Clyde Christiansen, and Director of Player Personnel Tom Telesco. A winless season of NFL football will do that.

Replacing the Polians will be former Packers Director of Football Operations Reggie McKenzie.

http://i.nfl.packers.com/images/headshots/mckenzie_reggie.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/7ZNwO.jpg

"I'm thrilled to become part of the Colts family," said McKenzie at a press conference. "I'd like to thank Mr. Jim Irsay for giving me the chance, and I'd like to promise all Colts fans out there that we will do whatever it takes to bring winning football back to Indy! Go Colts!"

McKenzie wasted no time announcing former Packers LB coach and assistant Head Coach Winston Moss as the new Head Coach of the Colts.

"Winston will bring a great defensive understanding and a sense of toughness to this team," said McKenzie.

BeerBaron
11-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Picks 13-19 Analysis

13.) Kansas City Chiefs - ILB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
Passing on the QB situation (they were rumored to like Tannehill,) the Chiefs instead chose to address their LB corps by adding freakish ILB Vontaze Burfict. Burfict has a very high ceiling but is a bit raw and will commit dumb penalties at times. He should be a good fit next to Derrick Johnson in the middle.

14.) San Diego Chargers - Riley Reiff OT/Iowa
Getting Phillip Rivers back on track means protecting him better. Jeromy Clary wasn't getting the job done at RT and the depth behind he and Marcus McNeil was ghastly. Reiff should be a good fit at RT and could even flip to LT in a pinch.

15.) Tampa Bay Bucs - OLB Zach Brown, UNC
Due in part to injuries, the Bucs defense struggled badly as a whole in 2011. Brown should make for a nice piece at LB along with last year's pick Mason Foster.

16.) Philadelphia Eagles (from ATL via CLE) - MLB Luke Keuchly, Boston College
The Eagles LB corps was a clear weakness as they got gashed by seemingly every opponent they faced. The smaller, more athletic linebackers simply didn't have the punch to stand up in run defense behind the Wide 9 D-line. Keuchly will bring a much stronger presence to the unit in the middle linebacker spot.

17.) Buffalo Bills - DE Quinton Couples, UNC
With the Bills caught in the middle of a 4-3/3-4 flip flop, they needed to add talent in any way possible. Couples was the best pass rusher available and is a bit of a steal this late in the first round. Good 4-3 DE pickup.

18.) Dallas Cowboys - CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
The Cowboys secondary was definitely a weak spot in recent years and adding a talented, though troubled, CB like Jenkins will help solidify the unit and keep Alan Ball far away from the field.

19.) New York Jets - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
Jeffery fell further than most expected, due in part to showing up overweight to workouts. The Jets offer a good fit however and Alshon should make a great safety blanket for Mark Sanchez.

TitanHope
11-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Titans select Peter Konz; Eugene Amano turns himself in

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2254/amanojailbait.jpg

In a stunning turn of events, Titans starting C Eugene Amano has turned himself in to authorities after police issued a warrant for his arrest for the violent attack on LG Leroy Harris, in what can only be described as a disgraceful act of Titan-on-Titan violence.

Eugene Amano said in a statement, "Seriously? I don't even have a grill!"

When reached for comment, Titans head coach Mike Munchak said "Well, we prefer to keep things like this in house. Ideally, you'd like to give a guy a chance at multiple attacks to see why things aren't working out the way you'd want. So I can't really publically say we're making a decision because of this performance." Munchak also added in "Meh," and paused mid-sentence to stare at the back of the room for five minutes.

Frankly, we here at MTSU News were suprised Amano was even able to flee the scene. You'd think Harris would've been able to hold onto his attacker until police arrived, as he's displayed that ability all year long. Just a baffling sequence of events, especially considering the witness's description was "twitchy black guy with tacky teeth" and not "a fat version of The Rock." Something tells me this investigation isn't over.

Despite one offensive lineman being hospitalized and another looking at prison time, hopes are high in the locker room after the team selected former Wisconsin C Peter Konz. Konz, unanimously seen as the best center prospect in the draft, looks to start as a rookie due to all the off the field problems the Titans have had with the OL.

princefielder28
11-17-2011, 06:50 PM
http://insidetheiggles.com/files/2011/05/asante_samuel-300x300.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H4rniyeYe6Y/SooBWlpjBhI/AAAAAAAABfw/UyE8KVQSwDM/s200/philadelphia-inquirer-masthead.gif

Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel has requested a trade out of Philadelphia and has asked the team to do their best to facilitate his request. The "Dream Team" was unable to reach the expectations set for them and this may be domino one their attempt to fix the roster.

RaiderNation
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
http://www.notdon.org/images/OaklandTribune_logo.jpg
Raiders Looking to Make Moves
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2011/04/04/murphyx-large.jpg

The Oakland Raiders currently have no draft picks in the first 3 rounds, but according to rumors that could end shortly. The Raiders are rumored to be offering WR Louis Murphy for a 3rd round pick, and they are extremely close to closing the deal. Murphy was sidelined for most of the this season, but the 2 previous seasons Murphy had been a reliable target. He is still young as well at 24, and needs to get out under the depth the Raiders have at WR.

BREAKING NEWS: WR Louis Murphy has been traded to the San Francisco 49ers for the 94th(3rd) pick in the 2012 NFL draft.

Shane P. Hallam
11-17-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.davidbsmithgallery.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/david.b.smith_.gallery.the_.denver.post_.josh_.key es_.gif

Broncos sign a living legend in Rhett Bomar

The Oklahoma turned Sam Houston State turned Giant/Viking/Drunk Driver has joined Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn in Denver. Can Bomar bring the Broncos back to prominence? Is he a sleeper in the rough? Can Bomar throw football good?

Rhett Bomar getting the call. He still wears his uniform for funsies:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_ix4SXC121g/Tj_9dgDizRI/AAAAAAAACLo/ZQkTn1Mq7vU/s1600/Bomar.jpg

BeerBaron
11-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Rumor Mill: Giants Work Out Two QBs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/your_turn/news/2001/04/11/chatreel_mcmahon/t1_mcmahon_all-01.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2008/10/mike-teel.jpg

Rumors out of East Rutherford this evening are saying that Giants Co-GM Scotty B. took time off from his team's draft preperation to work out former Rutgers QBs Mike McMahon, out of football since 2007, and Mike Teel, who had been working as the QB coach for Kean University.

While it is unlikely either of these players is signed, Scotty is said to have wanted to see them in action.

"You never know when you might need a 3rd string Rutgers QB," he was noted as having said.

Unbiased
11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
http://www.freepicks.org/articles/nfl-football-2009/NFL-Preview/images/jaguars.jpghttp://cdn.everyjoe.com/files/2009/05/jon-gruden-mnf-20081005_zaf_s70_050.jpg

BIG NEWS IN JACKSONVILLE

It's been an eventful draft weekend so far for the Jacksonville Jaguars. On Wednesday night, the Jaguars selected WR Michael Floyd from Notre Dame in hopes that he will be #1 playmaking target for second year QB Blaine Gabbert. Then, on Thursday night, they traded up into the first round to take WR Mohamed Sanu from Rutgers. GM Gene Smith was unavailable for comment.

And in a surprising turn of events, the team announced the hiring of former ESPN analyst Jon Gruden as their new head coach. He will replace recently fired Jack Del Rio. Gruden developed familiarity with Blaine Gabbert when he had the QB on his show leading up to the 2011 draft. Gruden explained, "Boy, this guy Blaine Gabbert really impressed. He's got all the tools I look for in a QB and he's smart as heck. I'm going to enjoy coaching him for years."

Blaine Gabbert was asked about all of the changes. He said, "I enjoyed learning from Coach Gruden before last year's draft, so I'm excited to have him here for good. And those two receivers are playmakers. Our offense will be explosive." When asked if Gabbert feels any pressure to improve after completing less than 50% of his passes as a rookie, Gabbert got a bit defensive. Said the blonde-haired beauty, "WOAH THERE, ************."

Grizzlegom
11-18-2011, 06:31 AM
As day one comes to a close, here is one analysts take on the 10 best available players:

1. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
2. Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
3. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
4. Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois
5. Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa State
6. Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall
7. Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
8. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
9. Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State
10. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

BeerBaron
11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Picks 20-32 Analysis

20.) Tennessee Titans - C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
The Titans struggled to open holes up the middle all season long, likely contributing the the decline of Chris Johnson. Konz is a mauling run-blocker who should definitely help alleviate that issue, if perhaps a slight reach here.

21.) Cincinnati Bengals (from OAK) - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
With the "Carson Palmer pick" as it will likely be called (well, one of the Carson Palmer picks,) the Bengals looked to replace Jonathan Joseph as the starting CB opposite Leon Hall with Dennard.

22.) 22.) Denver Broncos (from CHI) - DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
After trading down to stockpile picks, the Broncos went out to help their run defense by drafting the colossally massive Dontari Poe here.

23.) Cincinnati Bengals - RB Lamar Miller, Miami
With Cedric Benson hitting free agency after a down year, the Bengals selected Lamar Miller in hopes to create a "triplets" type situation to go along with young QB Andy Dalton and WR AJ Green.

24.) Kansas City Chiefs (from DET) - QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
After passing on a QB the first time through, the Chiefs traded back into the first round to select their QB of the future in Ryan Tannehill.

25.) Baltimore Ravens - OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
While Bryant McKinnie made for a good stop-gap option, the Ravens needed to secure the left side of their o-line for the future and did so with the selection of Adams here.

26.) New England Patriots - OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
With their first of two straight picks,the Patriots moved to address their ailing pass rush with the selection of Upshaw here.

27.) New England Patriots (from NO) - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
With their 2nd straight selection, the Pats selected Thompson to help sure up their d-line which has been lackluster around Vince Wilfork.

28.) New York Giants - LB Manti Teo, Notre Dame
The Giants have been trying to fill their hole at MLB since Antonio Pierce's retirement and may finally have done so with the Fighting Irish product in Teo here.

29.) Houston Texans - S Mark Barron, Alabama
Though their defense improved greatly in their first year under Wade Phillips, finding a play making safety to pair with Daniel Manning was a must.

30.) San Fran 49ers - CB Chase Minnefield, Virginia
Carlos Rogers was a great pickup for the 49ers but was only on a one year deal. Even if the team resigns him, the starting position opposite him could stand to be upgraded, which is what they hope Minnefield will do.

31.) Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
Providing better protection for Roethlisberger and opening bigger holes in the run game were two areas that the Steelers needed help, and the massive Cordy Glenn should help them here.

32.) Jacksonville Jaguars (from GB) - WR Mohamad Sanu, Rutgers
After selecting WR Michael Floyd earlier, the Jaguars traded up to further address their need at the WR position with Rutgers star Mohamad Sanu here.

Grizzlegom
11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Updated Best Available

1. Billy Winn, DE/DT, Boise State
2. Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa State
3. Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
4. Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
5. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
6. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
7. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
8. Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
9. Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma State
10. Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia

ImBrotherCain
11-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Do we have a pick analysis incoming?

redbills
11-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Bills add Johnson

With the 48th pick the Bills added another player for thier front four in Cam Johnson from Virginia. Johnson will come in with 1st round pick Quinton Coples as the Bills get set to run the 43 as thier base d.

Nix on his thoughts of Bills draft.

"Well, we gotta get better up front and we did that with guys who we really like and had high draft grades on. Now they have to come up here and work hard but we think they can be special players for us. Adding these two boys with Kyle and Marcell......we like it."

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3632/11111111111rszcamj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/11111111111rszcamj.jpg/)http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8263/11111111rszkwill.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/11111111rszkwill.png/)http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3624/11111111rszmarcelldareu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/11111111rszmarcelldareu.jpg/)http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7363/1111111rszquintoncoples.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/1111111rszquintoncoples.jpg/)

Grizzlegom
11-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Updated Best Available (New Plan is to do it every time the majority of the guys on the list are taken)

1. Billy Winn, DE/DT, Boise State
2. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
3. Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M
4. Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
5. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
6. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
7. Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M
8. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
9. Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska
10. Brandon Lindsey, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh

BeerBaron
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
CBS Sports best available:

1.) DE Billy Winn, Boise State
2.) OLB Brandon Lindsey, Pitt
3.) OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State
4.) OG Lucas Nix, Pitt
5.) LB Levonte David, Nebraska
6.) QB Brandon Weedon, Oklahoma State
7.) C Ben Jones, Georgia
8.) TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
9.) OT Andrew Datko, Florida State
10.) CB Andrew Boykin, Georgia
11.) OLB Shawn Spence, Miami
12.) WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa
13.) RB Doug Martin, Boise State
14.) LB Audie Cole, NC State
15.) CB Shawn Prater, Iowa
16.) RB Isiah Pead, Cincinnati
17.) WR Joe Adams, Arkansas
18.) OT Brandon Mosely, Auburn
19.) OLB Kenny Tate, Maryland
20.) OG Senio Kelemete, Washington

BeerBaron
11-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Top Two Round Analysis
by Draftologist Mel McShayock

Biggest Steal: DT Devon Still, Pick #37 to Carolina
Still had no business till being on the board this late. The big DT out of Penn State has practically lived in the opposing backfield this season, being a major disruptive force and raising the level of play for the entire defense. I had this guy as a top 20 prospect, so for him to be available in the 2nd round is just unbelievable. The Panthers got a great talent here.

Honorable Mentions:
Alshon Jeffery, Pick #19 to the Jets (projected top 10)
Dont'a Hightower, Pick #45 to the Chargers (Projected late first round)
Dwayne Allen, Pick #59 to the Giants (Projected late first/early 2nd round)

Biggest Reach: CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
This one left me scratching my head a little bit. I didn't even have Hayward in my top 100 and viewed him as a mid-rounder at best. Plus, even if the Eagles trade/cut Asante Samuel, they still have two other quality CBs on the roster in Nnamdi and DRC. (Though both are having serious down years that may improve if their scheme is changed.)

(Dis)Honorable Mentions:
Vontaze Burfict, Pick #13 to the Chiefs (Projected late first rounder)
Mark Barron, Pick #29 to the Texans (Projected mid-late 2nd rounder)
Michael Brewster, Pick #49 to the Cowboys (Projected just inside top 100)

Grizzlegom
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Been a while since I did one, updated best available:

1. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
2. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
3. Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska
4. Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
5. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
6. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
7. Sean Spence, OLB, Miami (FL)
8. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
9. Trevor Guyton, DE, California
10. Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

RaiderNation
11-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Raiders Add Dline Depth
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1108/cfb-preview-all-sec-team/images/jake-bequette.jpg
Jake Bequette DE Arkansas

With the 94th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas. The Senior Razorback has led the Arkansas defense the past 2 seasons as their top sack artist, and has displayed the ability to hold the edge against the run. At 6'5 270lbs, Bequette has NFL ready size and expierence, and according to Head Coach Hue Jackson he could see the field early in his career.

"We plan to use Jake as a rotational DE, likely playing behind Lamarr [Houston]. His motor, production and first step really appealed to us, and I'm excited to see what this young man can do for this football team."

TitanHope
11-20-2011, 05:30 AM

!@#$ YEAH WHITE PEOPLE

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/961/whitepeople1.jpg
CasteFootball gives it an A+; Demands more carries for Toby Gerhart.

The first three rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft are over, and it looks like the Titans roster is on it's way to being cleansed...of inferior football players.

In a fairly surprising outcome of events, the Titans have gone offense with their first three selections in what appears to be an effort to create an environment conducive to their young franchise QB Jake Locker's success.

After missing out on David DeCastro, the player they were rumored to be most interested in, the Titans selected C Peter Konz. While seen as a slight reach at 20th overall, Konz was still taken later in his respective draft than past elite pivots, such as Mike Pouncey (15th) and Maurkice Pouncey (18th), and just one spot ahead of Alex Mack. The Titans have now hopefully sewn up the position that'll be snapping the ball to Locker for years to come, and in addition to protecting the QB, he'll improve over Eugene Amano in the rushing game. The last time the Titans had an elite run-blocking OL, they had an all-time great in Kevin Mawae manning the middle.

With their 3rd pick, the Titans selected TE Coby Fleener, which is Gaelic for "the same color as your bathtub." Fleener was a great value in the mid-3rd Round, and provides an all-around dimension at TE that the Titans lack with Joker TE Jared Cook and inline blocking TE Craig Stevens. Fleener will provide not only an outlet for an inexperienced QB, but also helps the over-the-middle intermediate passing game, and while he may not be able to manhandle DE's by himself, he's an edge setter in the run-game, which will also help Chris Johnson by allowing him to get to the corner quicker while not tipping the offense's hand by thinking the defense is stupid enough to believe Jared Cook is going to block anyone.

Something something Rueben Randle.

There is still the 4th Round left to go, and it'll be interesting to see if the Titans continue their plan of surrounding their young QB with talent, adding another lineman, whether offensive or defensive, or will they finally address the inside linebacker or safety positions. Stay tuned to MTSU News for up to the minute coverage of the Titans 2012 NFL Draft!

Update! As punishment for Eugene Amano breaking the NFL's conduct policy, Roger Goodell has given Amano the option of letting him sleep with Amano's wife or letting Leroy Harris die.

BREAKING NEWS! Leroy Harris is dead.

BeerBaron
11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
NFC North Draft Grades

Minnesota Vikings
1-4-CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
2-35-DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
3-66-OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State
4-101-CB Shawn Prater, Iowa

Analysis - The Vikings would have really liked Matt Kalil to be there at 4, but the Cardinals traded up to #2 for him. The Vikings still got a very good consolation prize in Claiborne at another position of huge need. Worthy in the 2nd round carries good value and also fills a need in the DT rotation. Sanders in the 3rd may not be an immediate starter, but should provide depth and could be a starter at one of the tackle positions down the line. Prater in the 4th adds more depth to the struggling secondary.

Grade: B+ Major needs filled, depth added

Chicago Bears:
1-12-OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
2-42-DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida State
4-122-OLB Nigel Bradham, Florida State

Analysis - The Bears started off with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, but traded up twice. The first time was for Martin, who should instantly replace J'Marcus Webb at LT and pair up with a hopefully healthy Gabe Carimi to give the Bears a pair of quality bookends. The second trade up in the second round for Jenkins was a little more questionable. While it was a need, I don't know if the trade up was completely necessary. Finally in the 4th round, the Bears went back to the Seminole well taking Bradham for depth at LB. Could develop into a future starter.

Grade: B- Coming away with Martin is good and wins points, but I expected more with 4 picks in 3 rounds.

Detroit Lions:
2-44-OT Nate Potter, Boise State
2-55-OLB Bruce Irvin, WVU
3-79-C Ben Jones, Georgia
3-86-S Antonio Allen, South Carolina
4-124-OG Joe Looney, Wake Forest

Analysis - The Lions traded out of the first round to pick up a handful of picks from the Chiefs, and then proceeded to draft depth/future starters all across the board. Potter and Irvin could be the heir apparent to Backus and Raiola respectively, or could possibly switch to guard and work into the starting lineup sooner. Looney should also provide some depth there. Irvin and Allen sure up weak areas on defense, but are doubtful to be impact players right away.

Grade: C+ Meh. The Lions acquired a lot of depth players, certainly, but even if a few of these guys end up starting sooner rather than later, none project to be impact rookies.

Green Bay Packers:
2-39-OLB Vinny Curry, Marshall
2-43-DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
4-128-CB Asa Jackson, Cal Poly

The Packers did some moving around after trading out of the first round. Draftnik favorite Vinny Curry is a solid 2nd round pick who could develop into the pass rusher they need opposite Clay Matthews, while Crick figures to work into their d-line rotation while becoming a starter down the line. Jackson is an athletic, developmental depth pick from a small school.

Grade: C+ Slightly above average draft. Will be looked at more favorably if Curry pans out well.

BeerBaron
11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
NFC East Draft Grades

Philadelphia Eagles:
1-16-LB Luke Keuchly, Boston College
2-38-CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
2-40-WR Dwight Jones, UNC
2-64-OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
3-70-OT Matt McCants, UAB
4-102-QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
4-108-S Winston Guy, Kentucky
Trade - LB Geno Hayes, Tampa Bay
Trade Loss - CB Asante Samuel

With a good number of draft picks, the Eagles had a chance to make major improvements. After trading out of the top 10, the Eagles landed an impact MLB in Keuchly. With a trio of 2nd round picks, the Eagles then selected Hayward, Jones and Zeitler to provide depth. Hayward may have been a bit of a reach though. The team continued to add depth to the o-line in the 3rd with McCants, and then drafted Kirk Cousins to develop at QB. Guy will add some safety depth. The Eagles also sent CB Asante Samuel to Tampa Bay for a 4th round pick and solid LB Geno Hayes.

Grade: B A pretty solid draft class made easier with a plethora of picks. Getting some value in the trade of Samuel was also a plus. Keuchly should start form day 1 while the rest of the guys provide depth.

Washington Redskins:
1-11-OG David DeCastro, Stanford
2-60-WR Nick Toon, Wisconsin
3-73-ILB Audie Cole, NC State
3-91-QB Nick Foles, Arizona
4-104-CB Jamell Flemming, Oklahoma
4-117-OT Brandon Mosely, Auburn

In a rare year of actually having a lot of draft picks, the Redskins didn't disappoint. With the top QBs off the board, the Redskins moved to address their o-line in the first with the draft's top guard DeCastro. A trade down in the 2nd round netted the Skins even more picks. Toon will add to their very lackluster WR corps as a quality possession receiver and Cole should be a future starter at ILB. Foles isn't my favorite prospect at QB, but the value isn't too bad in the late 3rd and should compete for the job in the future if the team doesn't make an immediate move. Flemming and Mosely will add depth to their respective positions.

Grade: B- Solid draft with a lot of picks. Should get immediate impacts out of DeCastro and Toon.

Dallas Cowboys:
1-18-CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
2-49-C Michael Brewster, Ohio State
3-80-S Aaron Henry, Wisconsin
4-116-ILB Jerry Franklin, Arkansas

The Cowboys didn't do much moving around, instead preferring just to stay put and take who was available. Jenkins is a definite first round talent at a need position. Brewster fills a need but was a definite reach in the 2nd round, I had him more of a late 3rd/4th type of prospect. Henry is solid safety who should provide depth and play special teams early on while developing as a starter down the line. Franklin is in a similar spot to Henry.

Grade: C Jenkins is likely a nickel guy to start off and I can't see anyone else making an early impact. Add in the reach on Brewster and it's a very "meh" draft.

New York Giants:
1-28-LB Manti Teo, Notre Dame
2-59-TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson
3-90-OT Andrew Datko, Florida State
4-121-DT Kheeston Randall, Texas

The Giants were another team that chose not to do much moving around and ended up well off for it. Teo is a slight steal that late in the first round and should immediately start in the Giants LB corps. Allen is also a steal by nearly a full round, as I felt he was a late first round prospect. He should pair up with Ballard as the type of TE combination that is in vogue in the league right now. Datko looks like the team's RT of the future with McKenzie struggling and a free agent to be. Randall should add depth to the DT rotation.

Grade: A I really like this draft. They got two decent steals with their first two picks and filled needs at the same time. That's exactly what I like to see a team do.

BeerBaron
11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
NFC South Draft Grades

Carolina Panthers:
1-6-CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
2-37-DT Devon Still, Penn State
3-74-WR Brian Quick, App State
4-99-CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana

The Panthers started off by trading down from 2 to 6 with the Cardinals for an extra 3rd this year and a future 2nd that could become a first. Then, the Panthers still got an elite talent at a need position in Kirkpatrick. In the 2nd round, the Panthers may have gotten the steal of the draft in Still who I had as a legit top 20 talent. In the 3rd and 4th round, the Panthers added some small school developmental players in Quick and Johnson.

Grade: A Holy damn...trade back, get at least a 2nd next year, AND come away with two top 20 talents at need positions? Great draft. Kirkpatrick and Still should make impacts day 1.

Tampa Bay Bucs:
1-15-LB Zach Brown, UNC
2-46-RB LaMichael James, Oregon
3-93-S George Iloka, Boise State
Trade: WR Jacoby Jones, Houston
Trade: CB Asante Samuel, Philly
Trade loss: LB Geno Hayes

After hitting on Mason Foster last year, the Bucs added some more talent to the LB position with Brown. James in the 2nd is a bit of a steal, though his weak elbow may be a problem sooner or later. Regardless, his speed will make for nice compliment to Blount, also an Oregon Duck. Iloka in the 3rd adds depth and may be a future starter for the Bucs who are weak at safety. The Bucs also sent LB Geno Hayes out of town and brought in veterans Asante Samuel and Jacoby Jones.

Grade: B- Nothing flashy, but it should help a young team continue to develop.

Atlanta Falcons:
2-52-OG/T Keleche Osemele, Iowa State
3-83-CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia

The Falcons didn't have much to work with due to the Julio Jones trade last year, but still came away with a few solid pieces. Osemele could play a variety of positions on the o-line and should find a home there, starting sooner rather than later. Boykin also adds depth to a secondary currently lacking it.

Grade: I did them and I'm not grading two picks.

New Orleans Saints:
2-58-LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma
3-89-LB Keenan Robinson, Texas
4-120-DT Brett Roy, Nevada

Like the Falcons, the Saints didn't have a first rounder due to a trade last year, but came away with a solid draft. The LB position has been a weakness for the Saints, and I'm sure you know the saying, "there's no kill like overkill." Between Lewis and Robinson, the Saints should find a way to patch up that leaky LB corps. Roy will add some depth to the d-line rotation.

Grade: C+ Didn't have a lot to work with but came out fairly average nonetheless.

BeerBaron
11-21-2011, 02:01 PM
NFC West Draft Grades

St. Louis Rams:
1-5-WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
2-36-LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
3-67-WR TY Hilton, Florida INTL
4-98-RB Cyrus Gray, Texas A&M

Outside of Stephen Jackson, the Rams badly struggled to get production out of their talent on offense. The Rams looked to address that in round 1 by adding Blackmon who should instantly be their #1 WR. In round 3, the Rams took another talented WR in TY Hilton who can also contribute as a return man. In between those picks, the Rams addressed the LB corps with Lewis. Then, in nthe 4th round, the Rams took a compliment/backup to Stephen Jackson in Gray.

Grade: B The Rams set out to find playmakers on offense and did just that. If Sam Bradford doesn't pick it up with theses additions, he may never do it.

Arizona Cardinals:
1-2-OT Matt Kalil, USC
4-118-SS Kenny Tate, Maryland

The Cardinals traded most of their picks in this draft plus one next year to address their biggest area of weakness with Kalil. Bold move, but that is a lot to give up. With their only other pick, they drafted athletic LB Kenny Tate out of Maryland who they hope to convert to a SS.

Grade: C+ They got Kalil, but gave up a lot to do so. Tate is also a major project.

Seattle Seahawks:
1-10-QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
2-41-DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
3-72-WR Joe Adams, Arkansas
4-103-RB Doug Martin, Boise State

QB was a major need for the Seahawks and they addressed that right away with Griffin, who has probably has the highest ceiling in this draft class. Pass rush was another major need, so they took Mercilus in round 2 to add to that. Adams should add some depth to their WR corps while Doug Martin gives Seattle a solid-all-around RB to backup/spell Marshawn Lynch.

Grade: B They filled their biggest needs with players who have a lot of raw talent.

San Francisco 49ers:
1-30-CB Chase Minnefield, Virginia
2-62-OG Ryan Miller, Colorado
4-126-LB Emmanuel Acho, Texas
Trade: WR Louis Murphy, Oakland

The 49ers started off filling a need at CB, although with a slight reach in Minnefield. Miller is also a solid but unspectacular pick to add o-line depth and possibly man one of the guard spots in the near future. Acho will add depth to the LB corps which is currently lacking. The trade for Murphy is a little puzzling though...Jacoby Jones was traded for less than this and is a superior receiver. That is one I don't like.

Grade: C- Meh, not a fan of this draft. A couple of needs were filled but the value isn't great, and I'm not a fan of the Murphy trade.

BeerBaron
11-23-2011, 07:54 AM
AFC North Draft Grades

Cleveland Browns:
1-7-QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
1-9-RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
3-71-WR Juron Criner, Arizona
3-75-CB Donnie Fletcher, Boston College
4-106-WR Jarius Wright, Arkansas
4-114-LB Miles Burris, SDSU

The Browns had quite a few extra picks in this draft thanks to their trade with Atlanta last year, and immediately put them to work. Though Colt McCoy hasn't been outright bad, he hasn't been very good, so when the team had the chance to select a QB with true franchise tools in Landry Jones, they did. A few picks later, after packaging some of their picks in a trade up, they also landed RB Trent Richardson to give them an impact rusher. The Browns added some solid developmental pieces to their WR corps with Criner and Wright, then also added some depth to their defense in Fletcher and Burris.

Grade: B+ Very solid draft. Richardson should be the day 1 starter and primary ball carrier while Jones could be if he wins the training camp battle with McCoy. The others should all provide some nice depth.

Cincinnati Bengals:
1-21-CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
1-23-RB Lamar Miller, Miami
2-54-OT Matt Reynolds, BYU
3-92-WR AJ Jenkins, Illinois
4-123-OG Senio Kelemete, Washington

Thanks to the Carson Palmer trade, the Bengals had an extra first rounder which they used to select Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard. He should find a lot of playing time right away opposite Leon Hall. Two picks later, the Bengals added another young building block to their offense in Miami RB Lamar Miller who should take over as starter from free agent to be Cedric Benson. In the 2nd, the Bengals added another potential starter in BYU OT Matt Reynolds. The Bengals then added to their WR corps in the 3rd with Jenkins, and again added some o-line depth in the 3rd with Kelemete.

Grade: B+ The Bengals should come away with at least 2 immediate starters in Dennard and Miller, with Reynolds also a possibility. A good draft for a young developing team.

Baltimore Ravens:\
1-25-OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
2-34-S TJ McDonald, USC

While Bryant McKinnie was a nice scrap heap pickup, he's not a long term answer at LT. So, the Ravens selected Adams who, between he and Michael Oher in one order or another, should baton down the tackle spots for years to come. Then, the Ravens traded all of their remaining picks to move up to the top of the 2nd round where they selected USC safety TJ McDonald who figures to start along side, and possibly eventually replace, the aging HoFer Ed Reed.

Grade: B They didn't have many picks but the Ravens attacked two of their top needs aggressively. I'm not a big Adams fan but he's solid enough and McDonal fills a huge need.

Pittsburgh Steelers:
1-31-OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
2-63-DT Josh Chapman, Alabama
3-95-ILB James Michael-Johnson, Nevada
4-127-S Trenton Robinson, Michigan State

The Steelers o-line was a major problem area throughout the past two seasons. While part if it was injury related, an overall lack of top end talent was also a factor. The Steelers looked to address this early in big OG Cordy Glenn. In the 2nd, The Steelers took who they hope to be their NT of the future in Chapman. James Michael-Johnson in the 3rd should backup and possibly replace the aging James Farrior and Larry Foote down the line. Finally, in the 4th, the Steelers added safety depth behind the aging Polamalu and Ryan Clark in Robinson.

Grade: B- While Glenn should be an immediate starter, the other guys will provide depth and could develop into long term starters down the line.

BeerBaron
11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
AFC East Draft Grades

Miami Dolphins:
1-3-QB Matt Barkley, USC
2-56-OT Levi Adcock, Oklahoma State
3-69-DE/OLB Andre Branch, Clemson
3-87-TE Michael Agnew, Missouri
4-100-WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

While the Dolphins found themselves out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes thanks to some mid-season wins, they still landed a quality franchise caliber QB in Matt Barkley. In the 2nd, after a trade down, they got some protection for their QBotF in Adcock. With a pair of 3rd round picks, the 'Phins addressed their pass rush with Branch and added a weapon at TE in Agnew. Finally, in the 4th, they took a flier on prolific-but-injured WR Ryan Broyles. If he regains form, he projects to be a very solid #2/#3 type option down the line.

Grade: A I really like this draft. They finally took their first franchise caliber QB since Marino and acquired a good amount of offensive talent to surround him with. I also like the flier on Broyles in the 4th round. He could be an absolute steal at that point if he regains form. He probably would have been an early 2nd round pick he if didn't get hurt.

Buffalo Bills:
1-17-DE Quinton Coples, UNC
2-48-DE Cam Johnson, Virginia
2-61-CB Coryell Judie, Texas A&M
4-125-DT Kendall Rayes, UConn

The Bills late-season collapse was due in large part to a lack of overall talent due to years of early round draft pick busts. The Bills aggressively attacked the defensive side of the ball starting in the first with the draft's top pass rusher in Coples. In the 2nd, still on that d-line, they selected Cam Johnson out of Virginia. Then, they traded up from the 3rd round to snag Judie to provide them with some CB depth. In the 4th, they went back to the d-line in Kendall Reyes.

Grade: C+ There's no kill like overkill, and the Bills felt that way about the d-line. The team definitely had other needs, but felt that adding to the d-line would have a greater impact overall. We shall see.

New York Jets:
1-19-WR Alshon Jefferey, South Carolina
2-47-DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
3-81-OG Lucas Nix, Pitt
4-112-CB Leonard Johnson, Iowa State

The Jets missed the playoffs for the first time under Rex Ryan, and needed an infusion of talent in order to get back into the AFC race. They got a great steal in the first in WR Alshon Jefferey. He's falling in the minds of some draft picks, I suppose because they expect he'll test poorly and likely in part because his QB situation sucks. Well he's a great pick at this point and should be a stud #1 WR for the Jets, something Mark Sanchez sorely needs. Going back to the Gamecock well in the 2nd, the Jets selected Melvin Ingram. He's sort of a DE/OLB tweener for the 3-4 at over 270, but Rex Ryan will find a way to use him. In the 3rd, the Jets moved to address their struggling o-line in Lucas Nix. Then, adding some CB depth, the team took CB Leonard Johnson whose stock has been on the rise since playing well against Justin Blackmon.

Grade: B+ Very solid draft for the Jets. They got some nice talent in this one.

New England Patriots:
1-26-OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
1-27-DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
2-53-S Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State
2-57-WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
3-88-DL Jaye Howard, Florida
4-119-C David Molk, Michigan

The Pats had a ton of picks after years of trading back in the draft, and decided to use them all this time around to help their team now. With back to back first round picks, they looked to address their pass rush with Upshaw and Thompson. In the 2nd, the Pats addressed their ailing safety position with Martin and then selected a field-stretching WR in Wright. In the 3rd, Bill Belichick went to his favorite Florida well for Jaye Howard. In the 4th, the Pats drafted their center of the future (if there is such a thing) in Molk.

Grade: B- It's a solid draft which added a number of youngsters thanks to the sheer amount of picks. I don't know they got any true impact players here, but the team depth overall stands improved from it.

BeerBaron
11-23-2011, 08:47 AM
AFC South Draft Grades

Indianapolis Colts:
1-1-QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
2-33-DT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington
3-65-WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M
4-97-LB Levonte David, Nebraska

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the Colts took their QBotF in Luck first overall. Regardless of what happens with Manning, this is the pick they had to make as no overwhelming trade offers came in. In the 2nd, the team moved to address their swiss cheese DT rotation with Ta'amu . With Reggie Wayne slated to hit free agency and most of the other receivers on the roster products of Peyton Manning, the Colts selected talented if underachieving WR Jeff Fuller to develop. Finally, in the 4th, the Colts selected Levonte David who, while he doesn't bring the size the Colts have lacked to the position, plays bigger than he is and should be a solid contributor.

Grade: B They made the one pick they HAD to make (Luck) and got some guys who should be solid contributors at other positions of need.

Jacksonville Jaguars:
1-8-WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
1-32-WR Mohamad Sanu, Rutgers
3-96-TE Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette
4-107-CB Ryan Steed, Furman

The Jaguars knew their biggest area of weakness, hitting it early and hard. That position is at WR where they selected Notre Dame's Michael Floyd. Then, they addressed it again, trading up to the very bottom of the first round for Rutgers standout Mohamad Sanu. In the 3rd, the Jaguars started to get their small school prospect fix with Ladarius Green who figures to backup the regressing Merceded Lewis. Again going to the small school ranks in the 4th, the Jaguars took Furman CB Ryan Steed as a developmental prospect.

Grade: B+ While I for one am not a Blaine Gabbert fan, the Jaguars are stuck with him so they provided him with as much help as possible in the first round with Floyd and Sanu, as well as Green. This could be a "boom or bust" kind of draft class for the Jags.

Tennessee Titans:
1-20-C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2-51-WR Rueben Randle, LSU
3-82-TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
4-113-DL Malik Jackson, Tennessee

Despite Chris Johnson's collapse, the Titans were better than expected in 2011 yet with room to improve. Better o-line play would help the offense in general, so the Titans went that way in the first round with Konz. With Kenny Britt returning from injury, the Titans needed to add some more depth at WR which they did with LSU's Rueben Randle. In the 3rd, the Titans added Andrew Luck's favorite target from Stanford in Coby Fleener. Finally, staying in the home state, the Titans added DL prospect Malik Jackson.

Grade: C+ This draft won't blow you away, but it isn't bad and addressed most of the Titans needs. Nothing to get too excited over though.

Houston Texans:
1-29-SS Mark Barron, Alabama
3-68-DE Billy Winn, Boise State
3-77-WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa
4-105-OLB Shea McClellan, Boise State
Trade loss: WR Jacoby Jones
Though finally making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, the Texans were not without their areas of concern. One area was at safety which the Texans looked to address in the first round with Mark Barron. Perhaps a very slight reach, Barron should nonetheless be a solid in-the-box type safety. Making up for that after trading back and then trading up, the Texans got a slight steal in Boise's Billy Winn who figures to pair with JJ Watt as 3-4 DEs. The Texans traded Jacoby Jones to the Bucs, so they needed to replenish depth at the position,which they did by selecting McNutt. Finally, in the 4th round, the Texans added to their LB corps depth with another Boise State product in McClellan.

Grade: C Meh. Barron fills a need but I'm not a huge fan. I do like the acquisitions of Winn and McClellan, though I don't expect them to be much more than solid. Essentially trading Jones for McNutt also feels like a wash at best, if McNutt develops. I can see where they were going but the overall result is a bit lacking to me.

Shane P. Hallam
11-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I have to say I like the Colts draft. Obviously picking at the top of each round helps, but they got solid value on every player and each seems like a nice fit. Didn't hit every need, but always tough to do.

BeerBaron
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
AFC West Draft Grades

Kansas City Chiefs:
1-13-LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
1-24-QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
4-110-RB Isiah Pead, Cincinnati

The Chiefs fell from first to worst in that division in a hurry, helped along by catching the INJURIEZZ bug this year. In an attempt to sure up their defense, the Chiefs chose ILB Vontaze Burfict with their first rounder. Opinions vary wildly on Burfict, everything from "the next Ray Lewis" to "overaggressive penalty machine." It'll be interesting to see how he performs next to Derrick Johnson. The Chiefs then traded back into the late first to select their QBotF in the talented by raw Ryan Tannehill. Then, later in the 4th, the Chiefs added some RB depth in versatile Bearcat back Isiah Pead.

Grade: B- A few days ago, I would have given this draft a lower grade, but there's no denying the raw talent the Chiefs acquired with their first two picks, so I warmed up slightly to it. Still, there is massive bust potential here.

San Diego Chargers:
1-15-OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
2-45-LB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
3-76-OLB Brandon Lindsey, Pitt
4-111-RB Jeff Demps, Florida

The Chargers finally collapsed this year as Phillip Rivers could no longer carry the team. A big part of that was a lack of blocking, so the Chargers addressed that in round 1 with Reiff. He projects to be an upgrade at RT, though could swing to LT should Marcus McNeil's neck injury prove career threatening as has been rumored. In the 2nd, they got a bit of a steal in Alabama thumper Dont'a Hightower. At the very least, he should help solidify their run defense and be an effective blitzer. The Chargers stayed in the LB corps in the 3rd round with pass rusher Brandon Lindsey. In the 4th, they selected speedster RB/slasher Jeff Demps who will provide the offense with a big play threat.

Grade: B+ I like where the Chargers went with this draft. Reiff and Hightower should be immediate starters and upgrades, while Lindsey and Demps should contribute in situational roles at first, possibly expanding down the line.

Denver Broncos:
1-22-DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
2-50-CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
3-78 RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin
3-84-OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
4-109-QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
4-115-RB Chris Rainey, Florida

Owing to a couple of trade backs, the Broncos had a fair number of picks in this draft and didn't disappoint with them. In the first, the Broncos took humungaloid DT Dontari Poe of Memphis who will surely beef up the team's run defense. In the 2nd, the Broncos stopped the fall of talented CB Stephon Gilmore who should definitely be a starter down the line. In the 3rd, the Broncos took solid-all-around RB Montee Ball of Wisconsin whose lack of game breaking speed caused him to fall, but he should be a fixture in John Fox's offense. In the 3rd, the Broncos took a flier on small school guard Amini Silatolu. With their first of two 4th rounders, the Broncos added quality but older-than-usual QB Brandon Weeden who could see a chance to start if (when) the Tebow offense fails out. Finally, with their final pick in the 4th, the Broncos took speedster back Chris Rainey who could be the lightning to the previously drafted Ball's thunder.

Grade: A I feel this is a very good draft in which the Broncos just kept adding talent in whatever form it took with their picks. They should get a number of contributors from this one.

Oakland Raiders:
3-94-DE Jake Bequette, Arkansas
Trade loss: WR Louis Murphy

Due to trades for Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell and the selection of Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft, the Raiders originally didn't even have any selections in this draft. However, they managed to fleece the 49ers out of a 3rd rounder for Murphy, acquiring one pick which they used to selected DE Jake Bequette. His stock had been on the rise and he should make for a solid piece in Oakland's d-line rotation.

Grade: Incomplete. Yeah, it's hard to grade one pick. They should get an A for effort just getting back into this draft. But still....