PDA

View Full Version : How can you beat the Packers?

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 01:28 PM
They are undestructible right now. Is there anything teams can do to beat them?

edit: I think I messed up when I created this thread. I was thinking along the lines about how your team can beat the Packers and what they would need to do or need to get in (FA or the draft) in order to do it. There are obviously a lot of teams far away from being able to do it, but I'm sure there are teams more close to being able to do it.

AntoinCD
11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
If their defense plays the rest of the way like it did last night then it will be tough for anyone to beat the Packers. However they aren't without flaws. The Saints had a huge chance to beat them in week one and the Chargers came close as well.

Rodgers is on a different planet than anyone else so stopping their offense is going to be a monumental task, however their defense hasn't inspired lots of confidence. A few lucky breaks defensively against them and they can be had but with their schedule I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 16-0 into the playoffs.

Ness
11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm guessing a shootout. In the NFC I think the only teams capable of doing that are the Saints and maybe the Giants or Cowboys. I don't think the 49ers can beat them unless they really get pressure in Rodgers face and play some kind of ball control offense keeping Rodgers off the field.

Babylon
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
New England was unbeatable a couple of years ago till the Giants used a fierce pass rush to get Brady off his game and even then it was a nail biter. I think the Packers offensive line would be considered good not great so i'd put pressure on Rodgers even if it meant leaving some DBs one on one.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
You can't out duel Rodgers the only way you can win is to get pressure up the middle while still rushing 4 guys. The outside speed rushers just force him into the pocket much like Tom Brady.

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Send them to the superdome to play the Saints.

That's your only hope.

Raiderz4Life
11-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Da Bears!!!

the new jesus
11-15-2011, 02:16 PM
It's actually really simple: generate turnovers and don't turn the ball over.

Green Bay has been extremely careful with the ball all season. If you can generate a turnover or two, you have a chance at winning. If you turn the ball over, you've lost.

brat316
11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Steelers will beat them in the Superbowl.

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I think I messed up when I created this thread. I was thinking along the lines about how your team can beat the Packers and what they would need to do or need to get in (FA or the draft) in order to do it. There are obviously a lot of teams far away from being able to do it, but I'm sure there are teams more close to being able to do it.

Ness
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
You can't out duel Rodgers the only way you can win is to get pressure up the middle while still rushing 4 guys. The outside speed rushers just force him into the pocket much like Tom Brady.

Rodgers is quicker on his feet than Brady though and can make things happen while on the run.

AntoinCD
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
For the Patriots:

Last year the Pats had a lot of trouble keeping BJ Raji out of the backfield. This year however with the addition of Brian Waters the Pats have been a lot better at stopping big interior defensive linemen from closing the pocket. The Packers have playmaking CBs but I don't really seeing anyone on their team who can cover Gronk or Hernandez all game. If the combination of Light, Vollmer and Solder can keep Clay Matthews at bay while the interior offensive line keeps the pocket clean then Brady could put up a lot of points on the Packers.

On the defensive side it's not a great matchup for the Pats. CBs dressed recently include Antwuan Molden, Phillip Adams and Julian Edelman. Kyle Arrington has played actually quite well this year and McCourty has turned it around enough as of late. However those guys going up against Jennings, Driver, Jordy etc and then the wonderful James Ihedigbo covering Finley is just a nightmare.

I don't think the Packers could run on the Pats, however they probably wouldn't have to. The hope from a Patriots' perspective would be to get into a shootout and hope the pass rush can affect Rodgers and cause a few turnovers.

Really not a good matchup for the defense. The Pats match up well now with pretty much any team in the AFC(sans Baltimore) however they would have a horrible matchup against any NFC contender outside of SF.

AntoinCD
11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Rodgers is quicker on his feet than Brady though and can make things happen while on the run.

Not disagreeing with this, however the TD play Brady made to Gronk that was actually called back when Gronk went out of bounds on Sunday night was quite simply one of the best plays I have ever seen from a QB. You don't need to run around if you can stay within the pocket(yes he stayed in the pocket despite what the refs said) and avoid the rush.

Xonraider
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Running the ball. They are not exactly great at stopping it, I think they are high in that category mainly because they are leading most of the time, but their average ypc against is like 4.5. So if you can run the ball, have a QB that doesn't turn it over much and keep Rodgers and co. off the field you have your best chance.

JBCX
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Steelers will beat them in the Superbowl.

With what defense? With what cornerbacks?

ImBrotherCain
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Ike Taylor is pretty damn good... He can't do it alone though.

gpngc
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Either score with them (Chargers this year) or concuss Rodgers.

Otherwise, unless they have a terrible game, you probably aren't going to beat them.

The Vikings were actually able to mix coverages in the back end, get some pressure with their front four, and slow down the passing game a little. Rodgers, with his ability to run, and his receivers, with their ability to catch passes while covered (Finley, Driver in 1Q) make the offense pretty much unstoppable.

You need to get a lucky, win the chess match more often than lose, and play well on offense. You have to shoot for 30+ points to even be in the ball park I think.

JBCX
11-15-2011, 02:37 PM
The only way I see anybody beating the Packers is with a defense that has a pass rush that is capable of *knocking* Rodgers out. The simple answer is: concuss Rodgers, as someone else in here noted. That's what slowed him down against the Bears in the NFCCG last year: Julius Peppers went helmet-to-helmet on him.

Whoever can do that, and also has an offense that is potent enough to score 30+ points, will beat the Packers.

RaiderNation
11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Strong running game and a dline that can create pressure. They will atleast lose 1 game this season and it will be against the Bears.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 02:55 PM
I think I messed up when I created this thread. I was thinking along the lines about how your team can beat the Packers and what they would need to do or need to get in (FA or the draft) in order to do it. There are obviously a lot of teams far away from being able to do it, but I'm sure there are teams more close to being able to do it.

The Bears COULD do it this year.

1. Minimize turnovers. Matt Forte is usually very careful with the ball. Outside of the Philadelphia game, he rarely fumbles the ball. Cutler has been much improved too. Over his career, he has averaged more than an interception per game. this year it has decreased to just 6 in 9 games. That brings me to point two...
2. The offensive line has to continue to improve up until Christmas when they play the Packers next. Cutler is in the top five of NFL QBs when it comes to physical tools. When given time, he plays up to those tools. Whne he is getting sacked five times a game, he looks like a rookie. Keep Cutler clean and the Bears could get into a shootout with the Packers.
3. Continue to get pressure with just four. The Bears do a pretty good job with this already. They have 17 sacks this season, all coming from the defensive line. The Packers don't have an outstanding offensive line. In fact, Rodgers has been sacked the 6th most times in the NFL. The key to beating an elite QB is to hit him early and often.
4. Force the Packers to run. This is a continuation of number three. If the Bears can get away with rushing just four. That leaves seven guys to cover five receivers. They could even use Urlacher or Briggs to spy Rodgers to make sure he doesn't kill them by scrambling and still be able to double cover a guy. If they can do this, eventually the Packers are going to have to start running. The more Starks/Grant a team sees, the better their chances are of winning.
5. Force turnovers. That is what the Bears do best. It is also what the Packers do the least. But the Bears have intercepted Rodgers the last four times they have played. And Rodgers is going to complete passes. It's enevitable. When he does, the Bears need to gang up on the receiver and try to strip that ball out. No team does it more than the Bears. They would have to do it to beat Green Bay.
6. Special Teams touchdown. This is self explanatory. Hester has to score, or at least have some returns take the Bears past the 50. Not only does it put points on the board, it really seems to pump up the rest of the team.

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
The Bears COULD do it this year.

1. Minimize turnovers. Matt Forte is usually very careful with the ball. Outside of the Philadelphia game, he rarely fumbles the ball. Cutler has been much improved too. Over his career, he has averaged more than an interception per game. this year it has decreased to just 6 in 9 games. That brings me to point two...
2. The offensive line has to continue to improve up until Christmas when they play the Packers next. Cutler is in the top five of NFL QBs when it comes to physical tools. When given time, he plays up to those tools. Whne he is getting sacked five times a game, he looks like a rookie. Keep Cutler clean and the Bears could get into a shootout with the Packers.
3. Continue to get pressure with just four. The Bears do a pretty good job with this already. They have 17 sacks this season, all coming from the defensive line. The Packers don't have an outstanding offensive line. In fact, Rodgers has been sacked the 6th most times in the NFL. The key to beating an elite QB is to hit him early and often.
4. Force the Packers to run. This is a continuation of number three. If the Bears can get away with rushing just four. That leaves seven guys to cover five receivers. They could even use Urlacher or Briggs to spy Rodgers to make sure he doesn't kill them by scrambling and still be able to double cover a guy. If they can do this, eventually the Packers are going to have to start running. The more Starks/Grant a team sees, the better their chances are of winning.
5. Force turnovers. That is what the Bears do best. It is also what the Packers do the least. But the Bears have intercepted Rodgers the last four times they have played. And Rodgers is going to complete passes. It's enevitable. When he does, the Bears need to gang up on the receiver and try to strip that ball out. No team does it more than the Bears. They would have to do it to beat Green Bay.
6. Special Teams touchdown. This is self explanatory. Hester has to score, or at least have some returns take the Bears past the 50. Not only does it put points on the board, it really seems to pump up the rest of the team.
Awesome man. You have me convinced the Bears have a legit shot without needing offseason improvements.

vidae
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Outscore them. That is the only way.

J-Mike88
11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
They are undestructible right now. Is there anything teams can do to beat them?
Another Packers thread? LOL.
I love D-Unit so.....

We can be beaten easily.

Anyone remember the Packers playoff loss to Kurt Warner's Arizona Cardinals in January of 2010?

Rodgers racked up 4 TDs and like 400 yards, was sensational in his first playoff game ever, except his first pass was intercepted.
And then in overtime, he A) overthrew an open Greg Jennings for what could/would have been a signature game-winning TD pass, and then he B) was sacked, fumbled-returned for touchdown. Game over. Season over. Despite scoring 45 points, as his team did last night, and last week in San Diego.

When a team gets big heat on him, like maybe the Giants or Lions up the middle, he's capable of a bad throw.

Also, this team's had a lot of injuriezzz... newsflash, but they have NOT at the important WR position. The timing is crucial..... if they have to rely on someone other than 85, 87, 80, 89, 88, then the high-octane might slow down.

They are beatable, and they will not go undefeated this year. You can sig-quote me on that.

But barring bad breaks with health, they will repeat. And then look to be the first NFL team to 3-Peat. Back-to-Pack-to-Back.

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
New England was unbeatable a couple of years ago till the Giants used a fierce pass rush to get Brady off his game and even then it was a nail biter. I think the Packers offensive line would be considered good not great so i'd put pressure on Rodgers even if it meant leaving some DBs one on one.

Basically. I think the Packers line did show more weakness last night than they have. Rodgers was taking some hits.

You also have to maintain long drives and make sure those drives end up with TDs and not FGs.

ChiFan24
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I was gonna say that the Bears can do it, but that seems to have already been covered.

And if the Bears can do it, a few other teams can do it as well. The Packers are not unbeatable by an means. With the target they have on their backs, they'd be better off losing sooner rather than later.

CC.SD
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Well you should probably just play them really tight but try not to throw multiple back breaking pick 6s and that should do it.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
THe thing is, it's going to be difficult to stop this offense. The 49ers have an excellent defense, but the way Rodgers is in sync with his WRs, he gets the ball out so quickly, it's tough to put pressure on him. The timing is ridiculous.

The only way you can beat them is having an offense that can match them, and in my opinion, the Saints might be the only team that can do that. The Packers defense gives up a ton of yardage, but they create Turnovers, and lots of them.

BeerBaron
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
I think you could stand to word it that "Rodgers is indestructible" right now.

What jrdrylie said applies to the Bears. Over the past two years, no team has played the Packers as consistently tough as the Bears. (17, 10 and 14 points allowed in the 3 games last year, and they held them under their average in the one meeting this year.) Like I said in my weekly thoughts thread, the Packers would and should be favored in such a meeting, but the Bears at least have the best chance. They have the anti-Packers setup in place.

Now, your only going to hope to slow Rodgers down right now. But the rest of that team is beatable, namely the o-line and defense.

Both are playing adequately now to win with what Rodgers is doing, but if you can slow him down a little while your own offense is able to move the ball and score on that defense, they can be beat.

SuperPacker
11-15-2011, 03:51 PM
You can easily beat the packers if you run the ball well, have a quaterback that can match aaron rodgers and a defense that can get pressure on him.

Adrian Peterson at RB
Tom Brady at QB
Then the Steelers defense.

Luckily for us we have faced no team with that sort of formula. All the teams we have faced dont have one of those things such as the Chargers defense, the Vikings quarterback or the saints running game.

TitleTown088
11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I think you could stand to word it that "Rodgers is indestructible" right now.

What jrdrylie said applies to the Bears. Over the past two years, no team has played the Packers as consistently tough as the Bears. (17, 10 and 14 points allowed in the 3 games last year, and they held them under their average in the one meeting this year.) Like I said in my weekly thoughts thread, the Packers would and should be favored in such a meeting, but the Bears at least have the best chance. They have the anti-Packers setup in place.

Now, your only going to hope to slow Rodgers down right now. But the rest of that team is beatable, namely the o-line and defense.

Both are playing adequately now to win with what Rodgers is doing, but if you can slow him down a little while your own offense is able to move the ball and score on that defense, they can be beat.

The Bears defense always play McCarthey's offenses tough, but the problem, as I said before, is that Cutler will get nothing and like it from a Dom Capers defense.

princefielder28
11-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Offensive

1. The team needs to be able to go to the running game to sustain drives, but not necessarily have the running attack as the focal point of their offense.

2. Their backs and tight ends need to be able to force the Packers' backers and safeties into coverage. None of the Packers backers can cover, especially AJ Hawk, and Charlie Peprah has had issues at safety (which wasn't the case last year but he's replacing Nick Collins instead of playing next to him).

3. Most important is obviously the quarterback play. The guy doesn't need to be an All-Pro but he's gotta be a guy the team is not afraid to rely on to win them games

Defense

1. The most important part of having success against the Packers is being able to generate pressure with the front four. Newhouse and Lang are an average combo on the left side of the line and can be exposed (see Jared Allen).

2. Cornerbacks need to be able to keep up on the line and be physical with the Packers wideouts, break off the timing of the Packers' offense.

3. Linebackers with speed and dsicipline to contain Rodgers if he leaves the pocket.

Others

1. Always have to like a coach that's had success in the past against a team, understands what they're trying to do

2. BE HEALTHY!!!!

Top Teams meeting criteria (in the NFC)

1. Chicago Bears
2. New York Giants
3. New Orleans Saints

the new jesus
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
LOL the Bears aren't even in the top 5 of teams that could beat the Pack.

1. New Orleans
2. San Francisco
3. New England
4. Pittsburgh
5. Baltimore

BeerBaron
11-15-2011, 03:57 PM
The Bears defense always play McCarthey's offenses tough, but the problem, as I said before, is that Cutler will get nothing and like it from a Dom Capers defense.

We'll see on Christmas. Our o-line play has vastly improved from our first meeting and Martz realizes that he absolutely has to get Forte touches to have any success. These things will help Cutler.

Also, we have Earl Bennett back. He was missing in this year's first meeting and Cutler loves Earl Bennett.

TitleTown088
11-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Also, we have Earl Bennett back. He was missing in this year's first meeting and Cutler loves Earl Bennett.

Oh wait, so INJURIES!!! are relevant?

What happened to that joke anyway? :)

BeerBaron
11-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh wait, so INJURIES!!! are relevant?

What happened to that joke anyway? :)

It still gets used. It got passed to the Chiefs I think. And the Texans a little bit.

TitleTown088
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
It still gets used. It got passed to the Chiefs I think. And the Texans a little bit.

Yes,...but my point is..How have the Packers performed with the players they got back from injuries that were injured last season? ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9zzdztt7k1qztbac.gif

Raiderz4Life
11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
LOL the Bears aren't even in the top 5 of teams that could beat the Pack.

1. New Orleans
2. San Francisco
3. New England
4. Pittsburgh
5. Baltimore

You're so beyond wrong. New Orleans could hang...San Fran defensively might be able to but Alex Smith won't keep them in a shootout. New England's pass D is really bad, Pitts getting it together but Clark and Polamalu can't cover to save their lives. Balti was gonna be one of my choices but only if Flacco and Cam don't **** it up.

niel89
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that the Packers defense doesn't look that great this year compared to last year? They are giving up around 5 points more per game this year through the first 9 games. With the offense playing like this it doesn't really matter, but if the offense is off for a game the defense can be scored on.

SFbear
11-15-2011, 04:30 PM

I'll reluctantly agree with this. Our Oline has been so feeble the last couple years that the Packers have been able to shut down our running game with their nickel package. Cutler and our weak receivers against a Packers secondary with no fear of Forte hitting the second level have been disastrous. This year looked hopeful with better run blocking, Forte playing out of his mind, and Earl Bennett stepping up but the Oline took a step back against the Lions and I have no idea what the Chris Williams injury means for us.

Our D and Special Teams give me hope but I wouldn't expect our O to contribute in any positive way.

Id give a healthy Giants team a better chance than us. Don't know enough about the 49ers.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Actually, I'd put Chicago right up there with teams that can beat the Packers. They play them twice a year and familiarity with an opponent can play to advantage over the other teams.

Honestly, the best teams that have a chance:

1. New orleans
2. New England
3. Chicago
4. San Fransisco
5. New York Giants

Raiderz4Life
11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Actually, I'd put Chicago right up there with teams that can beat the Packers. They play them twice a year and familiarity with an opponent can play to advantage over the other teams.

Honestly, the best teams that have a chance:

1. New orleans
2. New England
3. Chicago
4. San Fransisco
5. New York Giants

From what i've seen out of NE....idk if they have the firepower to get into a shootout with GB. Their defense is going to give up points, and with no vertical threat NE's only hope will be Hern, Welk, and Gron working the LBers.

BeerBaron
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes,...but my point is..How have the Packers performed with the players they got back from injuries that were injured last season? ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9zzdztt7k1qztbac.gif

Finley was the bane of our defensive existence in that first game. No doubt. But we were still a phantom hold from pulling within 3 on the crazy return even with that.

Don't misconstrue me as saying the Bears WILL win. Just that, out of all of the teams in the league, they've hung with the Packer better than anyone.

A team like the Saints could try and outscore you in a shootout, but they aren't going to slow you down.

Cudders
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Simply, don't play them scared. So many teams are crippled by fear of their weapons and enter the game with a defeatist mentality of just slowing them down. In reality, yes, it's unlikely any defense can completely shut down that offensive attack, but it's essential to keep an aggressive mindset as a defender. When that mental switch flips from "shut them down" to "slow them down" you've already lost that first battle. It's like a contending prizefighter walking into a bout against the world champion and just hoping he doesn't get brutalized and put to sleep. Right now, they're surrounded by an unbeatable aura.

But those auras can dissipate as quickly as they coalesce. See the Patriots of a few years ago. The average margin of victory for their first ten wins was like twenty-five points. Then a mediocre Philadelphia team rolled into town in Week 12 and showed the rest of the NFL that New England was mortal. They didn't play Tom Brady scared. They attacked the pocket from every angle and hit Brady to make sure he knew they were there. They didn't play Randy Moss scared. They got right in his face at the line of scrimmage and frustrated him from snap-to-whistle. The result? Patriots win by three. Then a Monday night game against a Baltimore team that had lost four straight in Week 13. Rex Ryan followed Jim Johnson's lead and brought the heat. He attacked, attacked, attacked, and then attacked some more. The offense struggled and couldn't find the rhythm they enjoyed all season. The result? Patriots win by three. Then a divisional game against the 3-10 Jets in Week 15. Mangini continues the trend of fearless aggression in the face of an impossibly explosive offense. The result? The Jets hold New England to their season-low point total, but come up short. Fast forward to the final week of the regular season against the Giants. New York attacks New England, surrendering some big plays in the process, but they don't give Brady anything easy and gain confidence in themselves. And, of course, the Patriots finally lose in the Super Bowl to a Giants unit that relentlessly pressures them.

Aaron Rodgers is currently the best quarterback in the NFL and the Packers offense appears to be unstoppable on film, but that doesn't mean they're unbeatable. The first requirement to beat them is self-confidence. Don't buy into their hype or believe they're invincible. The second requirement is an aggressive defensive coordinator. Pre-snap, line up in an amoeba defense and give Rodgers as little information as possible to interpret. Line up in three-man fronts and four-man fronts. Dial up a wide variety of blitzes out of both fronts. Corner blitzes, cross blitzes, dog blitzes, fire zone blitzes, key blitzes, overload blitzes, safety blitzes, other zone blitzes, etc. In addition, incorporate defensive line slants and stunts into both three-man and four-man fronts. On top of that, change and disguise coverage shells often. Don't give their receivers free releases off the line. Disrupting the timing of an offense predicated on surgical precision gives your rushers extra time to pressure Rodgers. When calling the defensive game, just continute rotating through your rolodex of defenses to avoid falling into a pattern, get your players into optimal subpackages based on the Packers' formation and situation, and pray that they stray away from a no-huddle approach.

Now, that is all much easier said on a website than executed on a field. But when a coordinator attacks the Packers, he can't be afraid of being torched. The Packers are a dominant offense and Rodgers has been historically great this year. He might find his outlet before your blitz gets there or take advantage of a busted coverage for a big play. That coordinator needs to regroup and come right back at them though.

Defensively, I think Green Bay is vulnerable, but Dom Capers helps hide some of those weaknesses. Either way, I think offenses can move the ball on this unit through the air or on the ground. Overall, I could see the Bears, Cowboys, Giants, Niners, Patriots, Saints, and Steelers upsetting the Packers. That's not to say that Green Bay isn't the favorite in those games -- because they are and should be -- just that it really wouldn't surprise me if any of those teams won on any given Sunday.

Ness
11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
I would like to see the Ravens play the Packers and see how that turns out. I know they played a couple of seasons back, but the Ravens this year have really took it to the good teams and won.

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Offensive

1. The team needs to be able to go to the running game to sustain drives, but not necessarily have the running attack as the focal point of their offense.

That seems to fit DeMarco Murray and the Cowboys right now.

2. Their backs and tight ends need to be able to force the Packers' backers and safeties into coverage. None of the Packers backers can cover, especially AJ Hawk, and Charlie Peprah has had issues at safety (which wasn't the case last year but he's replacing Nick Collins instead of playing next to him).

Murray and Felix have both proven to be weapons as receivers and Witten should be considered as a guy who can force the backers/safties into coverage. Such is not the case with Martellus Bennett though.

3. Most important is obviously the quarterback play. The guy doesn't need to be an All-Pro but he's gotta be a guy the team is not afraid to rely on to win them games

If he wasn't named the Romocoaster for good reason, then I would have more confidence in him, but this is the biggest questionable area for the Cowboys. If the good Romo shows up, there's a chance he can fit your 3rd criteria.

Defense

1. The most important part of having success against the Packers is being able to generate pressure with the front four. Newhouse and Lang are an average combo on the left side of the line and can be exposed (see Jared Allen).

DeMarcus Ware.

2. Cornerbacks need to be able to keep up on the line and be physical with the Packers wideouts, break off the timing of the Packers' offense.

Rob Ryan calls for physicality out of his CBs, but the Cowboys personnel don't exactly fit. Their effort has been commendable, but this is one area I think the Cowboys need to fix in order to play a physical brand of football versus the Packers receivers.

3. Linebackers with speed and dsicipline to contain Rodgers if he leaves the pocket.

Cowboys have traditionally not fared well versus running QBs (ie Vick), but Rodgers is not exactly Vick-like. Rob called a good game against Brady and we were able to hold him in check until the last drive. :( I would say a similar game plan might work... though the Packers receiving corps is much more potent.

Others

1. Always have to like a coach that's had success in the past against a team, understands what they're trying to do

2. BE HEALTHY!!!!

Top Teams meeting criteria (in the NFC)

1. Chicago Bears
2. New York Giants
3. New Orleans Saints
Thanks PF... that helps me see where the Cowboys compare to that.

the new jesus
11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that the Packers defense doesn't look that great this year compared to last year? They are giving up around 5 points more per game this year through the first 9 games. With the offense playing like this it doesn't really matter, but if the offense is off for a game the defense can be scored on.

Agree 100%. The defense won a lot of games for the Pack last year. That's what made the Pack so good, they had both an offense and a defense that could win the game on any given day. This year, the D hasn't shown the same ability.

the new jesus
11-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Finley was the bane of our defensive existence in that first game. No doubt. But we were still a phantom hold from pulling within 3 on the crazy return even with that.

Don't misconstrue me as saying the Bears WILL win. Just that, out of all of the teams in the league, they've hung with the Packer better than anyone.

A team like the Saints could try and outscore you in a shootout, but they aren't going to slow you down.

LOL. The Bears game was not close. The Packers were clearly superior. The Saints game was close. The teams looked like they belonged on the same field.

D-Unit
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Simply, don't play them scared. So many teams are crippled by fear of their weapons and enter the game with a defeatist mentality of just slowing them down. In reality, yes, it's unlikely any defense can completely shut down that offensive attack, but it's essential to keep an aggressive mindset as a defender. When that mental switch flips from "shut them down" to "slow them down" you've already lost that first battle. It's like a contending prizefighter walking into a bout against the world champion and just hoping he doesn't get brutalized and put to sleep. Right now, they're surrounded by an unbeatable aura.

But those auras can dissipate as quickly as they coalesce. See the Patriots of a few years ago. The average margin of victory for their first ten wins was like twenty-five points. Then a mediocre Philadelphia team rolled into town in Week 12 and showed the rest of the NFL that New England was mortal. They didn't play Tom Brady scared. They attacked the pocket from every angle and hit Brady to make sure he knew they were there. They didn't play Randy Moss scared. They got right in his face at the line of scrimmage and frustrated him from snap-to-whistle. The result? Patriots win by three. Then a Monday night game against a Baltimore team that had lost four straight in Week 13. Rex Ryan followed Jim Johnson's lead and brought the heat. He attacked, attacked, attacked, and then attacked some more. The offense struggled and couldn't find the rhythm they enjoyed all season. The result? Patriots win by three. Then a divisional game against the 3-10 Jets in Week 15. Mangini continues the trend of fearless aggression in the face of an impossibly explosive offense. The result? The Jets hold New England to their season-low point total, but come up short. Fast forward to the final week of the regular season against the Giants. New York attacks New England, surrendering some big plays in the process, but they don't give Brady anything easy and gain confidence in themselves. And, of course, the Patriots finally lose in the Super Bowl to a Giants unit that relentlessly pressures them.

Aaron Rodgers is currently the best quarterback in the NFL and the Packers offense appears to be unstoppable on film, but that doesn't mean they're unbeatable. The first requirement to beat them is self-confidence. Don't buy into their hype or believe they're invincible. The second requirement is an aggressive defensive coordinator. Pre-snap, line up in an amoeba defense and give Rodgers as little information as possible to interpret. Line up in three-man fronts and four-man fronts. Dial up a wide variety of blitzes out of both fronts. Corner blitzes, cross blitzes, dog blitzes, fire zone blitzes, key blitzes, overload blitzes, safety blitzes, other zone blitzes, etc. In addition, incorporate defensive line slants and stunts into both three-man and four-man fronts. On top of that, change and disguise coverage shells often. Don't give their receivers free releases off the line. Disrupting the timing of an offense predicated on surgical precision gives your rushers extra time to pressure Rodgers. When calling the defensive game, just continute rotating through your rolodex of defenses to avoid falling into a pattern, get your players into optimal subpackages based on the Packers' formation and situation, and pray that they stray away from a no-huddle approach.

Now, that is all much easier said on a website than executed on a field. But when a coordinator attacks the Packers, he can't be afraid of being torched. The Packers are a dominant offense and Rodgers has been historically great this year. He might find his outlet before your blitz gets there or take advantage of a busted coverage for a big play. That coordinator needs to regroup and come right back at them though.

Defensively, I think Green Bay is vulnerable, but Dom Capers helps hide some of those weaknesses. Either way, I think offenses can move the ball on this unit through the air or on the ground. Overall, I could see the Bears, Cowboys, Giants, Niners, Patriots, Saints, and Steelers upsetting the Packers. That's not to say that Green Bay isn't the favorite in those games -- because they are and should be -- just that it really wouldn't surprise me if any of those teams won on any given Sunday.
Best read I've seen in a while. Nice job.

Raiderz4Life
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
LOL. The Bears game was not close. The Packers were clearly superior. The Saints game was close. The teams looked like they belonged on the same field.

You and JBCX keep spouting the same bs out over and over despite the fact they keep proving you wrong...over and over. Stop trolling.

Brothgar
11-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Is it just me or is Jay Cutler one of the most under rated QBs in the league? When actually given time he can be quite effective.

nrk
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
There wasn't a phantom holding call on the Bears, the player even admitted to holding. Was it completely away from the play and wouldn't have made a difference? Most definitely.

Rosebud
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Limit the turnovers, take your time offensively as that D can be dissected, convert in the redzone, the D needs to make some big plays and don't screw when Aaron Rodgers gives you the ball with the game on the line...

Rosebud
11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

That to me is ultimately going to be their downfall. So far the D has stepped up to finish games when called upon, but the better teams in the playoffs will be able to take advantage of that D. So if it comes down to the other team having the ball with the game on the line in the playoffs I would not be very confident as a packers fan, certainly not as confident as their record would suggest.

Jvig43
11-15-2011, 06:00 PM
By scoring more points then them.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 06:05 PM
There wasn't a phantom holding call on the Bears, the player even admitted to holding. Was it completely away from the play and wouldn't have made a difference? Most definitely.

I'd like to see a link where Corey Graham admitted it was holding because I have never heard him saying that. And even if he admitted it, he is wrong. Graham had his hand on the Packers player's shoulder. There is no visible evidence of him tugging the jersey of the player. Besides, the flag was thrown form the right sideline. Graham was near the left hash. That means the ref who threw the flag was 25 yards or more away from the play. No way you can make that call.

Iamcanadian
11-15-2011, 06:11 PM
It could get really boring in the NFL if Green Bay stays this dominate and Rodgers doesn't get injured. 3 or 4 Super Bowls wouldn't shock me.

J-Mike88
11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see a link where Corey Graham admitted it was holding because I have never heard him saying that. And even if he admitted it, he is wrong. Graham had his hand on the Packers player's shoulder. There is no visible evidence of him tugging the jersey of the player. Besides, the flag was thrown form the right sideline. Graham was near the left hash. That means the ref who threw the flag was 25 yards or more away from the play. No way you can make that call.Still whining about this? It was an obvious hold. Video speaks louder than your or my words.
DNxw4uxn8p8

FYI, Hester's PR touchdown last year to help the Bears upset the Packers, was totally aided by 2 blocks-in-the-back, including one blatant one against AJ Hawk where he was sent flying forward. Of course, those refs were out of flags perhaps as they had already thrown a franchise record 18 on the Packers, denying us 2 Ints of Cutler, and a TD to J-Mike which later became a blocked FG by Peppers. But we're over that one from last year as it didn't matter in the end.

Teams who can BEAT the Packers. I mean not get a win if we screw up, get injuries, or have refs screw us. But these teams, IMO, are the ones who can actually beat the Packers.

Pittsburgh (have to remember, Packers BARELY beat them in XLV despite a +3 turnover margin in the game).
New England (Rodgers lone playoff loss, was a 51-45 loss to Warner. Brady with those 2 damn TE's and Welker, can light it up too).
New York Giants (best pass-rushing DL)
San Fran (good running game, and Vernon Davis poses problems for us)
Detroit (beat us once last year, almost beat us in GB too, strong pass rush DL, and cheapshot-artist safety in Delmas)
New Orleans (see Warner, 2010 playoff game vs Packers)

I don't think the Ravens match up well at all. I'd not be worried about them whatsoever.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Offensive

Defense

Can you say Ravens? :P

Definitely a sustainable running game with the ability to focus on the passing game if needed.

Our TE's have been predominant targets in our passing game and rice out of the back field is beastly.

Flacco might not be a top QB but he is certainly a capable QB and has shown the ability to lead the team to a comeback drive at the end of the game, against the Steelers D no less.

Defensively one of the best teams in football right now (4th in passing yard allowed)

Suggs could put in work on those tackles and we can always throw in a few Ed Reed blitzes here and there to keep them guessing.

The corners could play bump and run with Ed Reed over the top.

LB corps has stepped it up this year and of course there is Ray Lewis.

A couple other advantages:

Would love to see the Ed Reed/Ray Lewis combo up against Rodgers in pre-snap adjustments.

One of the more opportunistic defenses over the years, our guys are thrive on Defensive TD's. Haven't had too many this year, but the way I see it, that makes us overdue.

49erNation85
11-15-2011, 07:02 PM
It could get really boring in the NFL if Green Bay stays this dominate and Rodgers doesn't get injured. 3 or 4 Super Bowls wouldn't shock me.

Don't worry the 49ers will be able to run with them in a year or two once we get a better QB or maybe Smith proves him self that he can throw the deep ball( I'm still waiting but he is getting there) Our team is almost complete.It will be a real test if our defense can hold up.

molenguinurtle
11-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Agree with every word. Great post, sir.

bigbluedefense
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Same way you beat the 07 Patriots.

Pressure, pressure, pressure, and more pressure.

BloodBrother
11-15-2011, 08:37 PM

And he will again be key. Not having him last year against that Bears Cover 2 D really hurt the Packers offense. He makes a huge difference for them in their match-up's this year and I'd expect another big game from him the next time they meet

Complex
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
The Giants have the best chance to beat the Packers followed by the saints,cowboys then the bears. If the eagles had a great to good defensive coordinator they would be in the top 2.

How the Titans could beat, if we had a pass rush and Chris Johnson could play like he did last week or before his contract. I think we would have a chance of beating them. We have the corners but not the pass rushers to play with GB. Having a health Kenny Britt would help too. We can't stop the run but GB run game isn't scaring anyone.

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Can you say Ravens? :P

Definitely a sustainable running game with the ability to focus on the passing game if needed.

You could have used that sustainable running game on Sunday.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Concuss Rodgers.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I think "Genius" offensive coordinators would be the downfall of teams trying to beat the Packers. For the Bears, Mike Martz would try to out-Packer the Packers. "Have a top-five running back? Who cares? The Packers look sexy throwing the ball. I want to look sexy. Hey Jay, seven step drops and bombs to Roy Williams! Let's do this!" Cam Cameron when he falls behind, even just by a little like in the Jacksonville game, completely abandons the run. "Have a top-five running back? Joe Flacco can't get a first down even when we spot him nine yards? Who cares? I'm down six points to one of the worst teams in the league. Ray Rice is only getting four caries in the second half."

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 09:05 PM
I think the Lions can beat them. The Packers are going to play 3 games in 10 days, however, they don't have to do much traveling as they were home last night, and home on Sunday.

I don;t know, that's the only scenario I can see them losing I guess.

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I think the Lions can beat them. The Packers are going to play 3 games in 10 days, however, they don't have to do much traveling as they were home last night, and home on Sunday.

I don;t know, that's the only scenario I can see them losing I guess.

I'd imagine the Packers will be the least favored over the Giants. Although we have them coming off a Thursday game so they have extra rimw. We also have the Saints off a bye. Lucky us.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I'd imagine the Packers will be the least favored over the Giants. Although we have them coming off a Thursday game so they have extra rimw. We also have the Saints off a bye. Lucky us.

At Detroit on Thanksgiving, I have to think the spread will be pretty close. I'd say 5 points. I would normally agree with you that the spread in the Giants game would be the closest spread. But the Packers have a long week while the Giants have a short week. My guess is the spread will be around 7. The Bears game will likely be a spread of 6. Otherwise, I think the rest of the spreads will be 10-plus.

soybean
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
By scoring more points then them.

the chargers almost did it.

Anyways, the best way to beat them is the way you beat any and every team.

Beat them in time of possession and convert on your trips to the red zone.

how can aaron rodgers beat you if he doesn't have the ball.

Jughead10
11-15-2011, 09:27 PM
At Detroit on Thanksgiving, I have to think the spread will be pretty close. I'd say 5 points. I would normally agree with you that the spread in the Giants game would be the closest spread. But the Packers have a long week while the Giants have a short week. My guess is the spread will be around 7. The Bears game will likely be a spread of 6. Otherwise, I think the rest of the spreads will be 10-plus.

Eh I disagree but whatever. There is somewhere you can look up future spreads as of now. But when both teams have a short week (Lions & Packers) it only makes the gap wider in my opinion. The more established team reacting better to unordinary conditions.

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
They really aren't the most talented team ever, they're playing a bit above their heads, IMO.

They definitely have weaknesses, they CAN be beat, but they are obviously going to be tough for anyone

BloodBrother
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think anybody is saying they are the most talented team ever. Were the 72 dolphins the most talented team ever? However, they are the most talented team in the NFL. It will take some good fortune for them to go perfect. I don't see it happening, but I'm hoping for it(obviously)

@ DET, @ NYG and vs CHI are probably the best chances at a loss IMO.

the new jesus
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
They really aren't the most talented team ever, they're playing a bit above their heads, IMO.

What makes you say that?

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2011, 10:18 PM
What makes you say that?

Because they are playing like one of the best offenses ever, and they really aren't as talented as the best offenses ever?

They have Aaron Rodgers, but after that, they have a pretty good line, a meh running game, and no all timer type weapons. It's not like trotting out hall of famers all over the offense.

BloodBrother
11-15-2011, 10:23 PM
All timers = strictly HOFer or freaks like Randy Moss, Larry Fitz, etc?

I mean, if Jennings plays another 7-8 years and keeps having 1000 yard seasons with 8-12 TD's, I could see him eventually make it as a HOFer. Wouldn't be mistaken for being a top 10 WR of all time but I could see him eventually get in based on numbers/longevity. Long way to go but he's got a shot

I just think the WR corps complement each other well and the chemistry they all have with Rodgers is what has made them so explosive

Breed
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I have been on a roll with my predictions lately... My next predicition is the Packers will lose this week, it's a trap game vs Tampa Bay since they m8ight be looking ahead to the Lions..

You heard it here first, Packers lose this week.

bucfan12
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I have been on a roll with my predictions lately... My next predicition is the Packers will lose this week, it's a trap game vs Tampa Bay since they m8ight be looking ahead to the Lions..

You heard it here first, Packers lose this week.

Have you seen the way the Bucs been playing lately? They haven't got a shot in hell to upset Green Bay.

thegreatone
11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Injuring Rodgers.

jrdrylie
11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Have you seen the way the Bucs been playing lately? They haven't got a shot in hell to upset Green Bay.

I think this game will be a lot closer than some people think. I think the Packers still win by 9. Not a blowout by any means but still a comfortable win.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Because they are playing like one of the best offenses ever, and they really aren't as talented as the best offenses ever?

They have Aaron Rodgers, but after that, they have a pretty good line, a meh running game, and no all timer type weapons. It's not like trotting out hall of famers all over the offense.

The main receiving threats:

Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Donald Driver
Randall Cobb

Add in Aaron Rodgers and what passing attack in the history of the NFL had more talent? Maybe you can name 1 or 2 groups, if that?

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 12:07 AM

Crabtree
Braylon Edwards
Vernon Davis
Ted Ginn
Delaine Walker

Add in Alex Smith and what passing attack in the history of the NFL had more talent? Maybe you can name 1 or 2 groups, if that?

Finally, something I can agree with you on.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
07 Randy Moss/Wes Welker/Donte Stallworth >>> '11 Packers

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 12:11 AM
I dont even think thats the best receiving group in the NFL this year, let alone ******* in the history of the sport.

Paul
11-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Lord, that post actually made my head hurt.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah i feel stupid for actually replying to that. fml

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Donald Driver
Randall Cobb

Add in Aaron Rodgers and what passing attack in the history of the NFL had more talent? Maybe you can name 1 or 2 groups, if that?

Randall Cobb is a kick returner. James Jones can't catch. Driver is pretty much irrelevant this season. Jordy Nelson is a product of Aaron Rodgers. They aren't even close to the most talented receiving corps in NFL history.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Randall Cobb is a kick returner. James Jones can't catch. Driver is pretty much irrelevant this season. Jordy Nelson is a product of Aaron Rodgers. They aren't even close to the most talented receiving corps in NFL history.

Including the QB, they are one of the best groups of all-time.

cmarq83
11-16-2011, 08:43 AM

Greg Jennings
Jermichael Finley
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Donald Driver
Randall Cobb

Where does future HOFer Nick Collins fit into that group?

cmarq83
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM

I mean, if Jennings plays another 7-8 years and keeps having 1000 yard seasons with 8-12 TD's, I could see him eventually make it as a HOFer. Wouldn't be mistaken for being a top 10 WR of all time but I could see him eventually get in based on numbers/longevity. Long way to go but he's got a shot

I just think the WR corps complement each other well and the chemistry they all have with Rodgers is what has made them so explosive

I think it'll be tough in today's NFL environment because there are going to be a lot of guys with similar type #'s competing with Jennings. They'll end up taking too many votes away from one another. You're going to have Jennings competing with guys like White, Welker, Wayne, Marshall, V-Jackson, Wallace, Boldin, Smith, ect. who all have a good shot at 10,000+ yards and I think most of them will end up within 2000 yards of Jennings. Plus, I think the fact that he was never considered a top 3 receiver (Johnson, Johnson, Fitzgerald) will probably keep him out.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Where does future HOFer Nick Collins fit into that group?

He fits into what was one of the best secondaries of all-time last year.

Collins
Woodson
Williams
Shields
Burnett/Peprah

3 All-Pros in one secondary!

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
You could have used that sustainable running game on Sunday.

Our coordinator may stop us from doing it, doesn't mean we couldn't if Cam was competent

So if Jennings plays at this very same level, with no drop off whatsoever... until he is 35-36 years old, he will be a HoF? :P

yea sure he's got a shot but I wouldn't bet on it

Jughead10
11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Our coordinator may stop us from doing it, doesn't mean we couldn't if Cam was competent

I can't disagree with this. It was comical following the game on stat tracker while I watched the Giants. Just seeing the attempts go up and up for Flacco.

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I can't disagree with this. It was comical following the game on stat tracker while I watched the Giants. Just seeing the attempts go up and up for Flacco.

Ray Rice: 5 carries (27 yards) 5.4 ypc
Joe Flacco: 52 pass attempts

He fits into what was one of the best secondaries of all-time last year.

Collins
Woodson
Williams
Shields
Burnett/Peprah

3 All-Pros in one secondary!

You have to be a troll, right?

bucfan12
11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
In Green Bay, it's not all about the high quality talent of the WR core. It's the chemistry between Rodgers and the WRs. He trusts them to be in the spot and he knows exactly where to put the ball. Extremely accurate and smart QB. Him and the WRs are just always in sync, rarely, if ever, there is any miscommunication between them.

Jughead10
11-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Ray Rice: 5 carries (27 yards) 5.4 ypc
Joe Flacco: 52 pass attempts

And you were never down by more than 10 at any given point right? It wasn't like you were down 21+.

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 09:11 AM
And you were never down by more than 10 at any given point right? It wasn't like you were down 21+.

Exactly. BUT THE SYSTEMZZZZZZZZZZZZ

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Including the QB, they are one of the best groups of all-time.

What!!!!!! Aaron Rodgers is great. He has a great chance to go down as a top-ten QB of all time if he continues his pace. But that is where it ends. Randall Cobb is a rookie who is 90% kick returner, 10% receiver. Donald Driver is at the end of his career. Like I said James Jones has talent, but drops too many balls. If Jordy Nelson is with an average QB, he is 30 catch guy. Finley is a good tight end. Not spectacular. Just good. And Greg Jennings is a top-ten receiver. He isn't in the class of Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald. But he is a very good receiver. Nothing about that screams best of all-time.

Montana-Rice-Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

Young-Rice-Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

Manning-Harrison-Wayne-Clark-Stokley>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 09:14 AM
What!!!!!! Aaron Rodgers is great. He has a great chance to go down as a top-ten QB of all time if he continues his pace. But that is where it ends. Randall Cobb is a rookie who is 90% kick returner, 10% receiver. Donald Driver is at the end of his career. Like I said James Jones has talent, but drops too many balls. If Jordy Nelson is with an average QB, he is 30 catch guy. Finley is a good tight end. Not spectacular. Just good. And Greg Jennings is a top-ten receiver. He isn't in the class of Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald. But he is a very good receiver. Nothing about that screams best of all-time.

Montana-Rice-Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

Young-Rice-Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

Manning-Harrison-Wayne-Clark-Stokley>>>>>>>>Rodgers-Jennings-Finley-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Nelson

OK so you named 3 groups that may be better. That still makes them "one of the best".

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
OK so you named 3 groups that may be better. That still makes them "one of the best".

I named three groups right off the top of my head. There are so many more. Brady-Welker-Moss. Hell, I think I would take Culpepper-Moss-Carter. Mark Brunnel-Jimmy Smith-Kennan McCardell-Kyle Brady from the 2000 Jaguars is probably just as good. Need I go on?

You have to be a troll, right?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldje12KuZC1qay6jzo1_250.jpg

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 09:18 AM

There are more sir.... I don't have the time or the patience to name all of the many WR groups that were better.

Off the top of my head to add to his list:

You have the greatest show on turf

the 07 pats

I can go one but I won't because at the end of the day this isn't the best WR corps in the league right now, much less of all time

Iamcanadian
11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
The Packers can only beat themselves. If they show up against a weaker opponent thinking it will be an easy game and have little emotion for the game, they could find themselves losing. I don't think any team can beat them right now if they are on their game.

BloodBrother
11-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Get pressure on Rodgers
Win turnover battle
Win TOP
Score 24+

pretty basic stuff

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I named three groups right off the top of my head. There are so many more. Brady-Welker-Moss. Hell, I think I would take Culpepper-Moss-Carter. Mark Brunnel-Jimmy Smith-Kennan McCardell-Kyle Brady from the 2000 Jaguars is probably just as good. Need I go on?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldje12KuZC1qay6jzo1_250.jpg

I guess the records Rodgers is setting is just luck.

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd easily take the Giants Wrs over the Packers Wrs this year without question. Somethings just don't change from year to year.

Also what records is Rodgers setting right now?

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd easily take the Giants Wrs over the Packers Wrs this year without question. Somethings just don't change from year to year.

And you also claimed that Alex Smith is better than Rodgers, which shows how much credibility you have.

Rodgers is on pace to break the following single-season records:
-Passer Rating (Peyton Manning, 2004)
-Passing Yards (Dan Marino, 1984)
-Completion Percentage (Drew Brees, 2009)
-Yards per Attempt (Best since 1954)

Jughead10
11-16-2011, 09:39 AM

I'd take our top three WRs over their top 3 WRs, but they have much better depth past that, and their TE/FB situation is far better.

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd take our top three WRs over their top 3 WRs, but they have much better depth past that, and their TE/FB situation is far better.

I can agree with that, but as far as starting WRs go, and overall recieving ability I'd take your top three over Jennings and Finnley because lets be honest, those two guys are the only truly standout receiving threats that he listed.

Well and Jordyz haha

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I guess the records Rodgers is setting is just luck.

It's not luck. Rodgers is great. But the receiving corps is just good. Just off the top of our heads, we have named 7 or 8 more talented receiving corps.

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Hell thinking about it I may even say the Eagles have better overall starting wrs as well, talent wise.

BloodBrother
11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
One problem

Jordyzzzz>>>>>>>>Riley Cooper

TimmG6376
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
If by talented you mean they run faster 40s.

I'll exclude Cobb from this as he is a rookie, but Jennings/Nelson/Driver can all beat press, run precise routes, and have generally reliable hands. They also are excellent at recognizing coverage and making adjustments. Finely IMO still gets by a bit on his physical gifts and has room for growth in the mental aspect of the game.

James Jones can do it all as well but has admittedly had some lapses in concentration.

None of these guys will beat DJax in a foot race, but they are able to get separation deep. I think Nelson is being underrated here. People see him as this big tall long-striding receiver, but he is averaging 18.6 yds/reception and actually leads the team in YAC. He doesn't look like he is running all that fast but he gets deep separation more than you expect.

It is going to be hard in this system for any of these guys to be among the league leaders in receptions and yardage, but to say they aren't as talented as the Giants or Eagles WRs is IMO false.

mqtirishfan
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
James Jones can do it all as well but has admittedly scared the **** out of every Packer fan every time he has the ball in the open field because he can't hold on to the football.

Fixed it for you.

tjsunstein
11-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Can't wait to read this thread from start to finish.

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 11:36 AM

I'll exclude Cobb from this as he is a rookie, but Jennings/Nelson/Driver can all beat press, run precise routes, and have generally reliable hands. They also are excellent at recognizing coverage and making adjustments. Finely IMO still gets by a bit on his physical gifts and has room for growth in the mental aspect of the game.

James Jones can do it all as well but has admittedly had some lapses in concentration.

None of these guys will beat DJax in a foot race, but they are able to get separation deep. I think Nelson is being underrated here. People see him as this big tall long-striding receiver, but he is averaging 18.6 yds/reception and actually leads the team in YAC. He doesn't look like he is running all that fast but he gets deep separation more than you expect.

It is going to be hard in this system for any of these guys to be among the league leaders in receptions and yardage, but to say they aren't as talented as the Giants or Eagles WRs is IMO false.

Are you implying that DJax can't get open deep?

No one is saying that the receiving corps isn't good, I'm just not going to put them anywhere near the conversation of GOAT receiving corps like the troll was trying to imply.

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Rodgers is on pace to break the following single-season records:
-Passer Rating (Peyton Manning, 2004)
-Passing Yards (Dan Marino, 1984)
-Completion Percentage (Drew Brees, 2009)
-Yards per Attempt (Best since 1954)

simply extrapolating data is a weak indicator of what will actually occur. It's more of a way of giving talking heads on ESPN something to talk about

Not to mention some of their harder games are now ahead of them.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 11:41 AM

No one is saying that the receiving corps isn't good, I'm just not going to put them anywhere near the conversation of GOAT receiving corps like the troll was trying to imply.

Inclusive of Rodgers, this is one of the best passing attack groups ever. Packers are clearly superior to Vick and the Eagles.

Sloopy
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Inclusive of Rodgers, this is one of the best passing attack groups ever.

We have just named a # of better groups including the QB. now this is the last time I'm feeding you, so have your fill

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Inclusive of Rodgers, this is one of the best passing attack groups ever. Packers are clearly superior to Vick and the Eagles.

I found out how the Packers are going to lose. All this dick sucking is going to tire them out. There are only so many blow jobs these guys can endure before they just get exhausted.

keylime_5
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Wait for the weather to get ****** to slow down their passing attack and then pressure the heck out of Rodgers with a good defense and run the ball. It's how the Bears damn near beat them at Soldier Field last year in the NFC CG. Green Bay's defense was much better last season than it is this season so far so maybe they won't win if they have to play a team like Chicago or New York in the playoffs again (though they seem like they are starting to turn it on defensively).

TimmG6376
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM

No I never said that. He obviously does. And I actually take exception to Gruden calling Jennings the "most feared deep threat" on the MNF broadcast. That title goes to either DJax or Wallace. I said despite not having the pure speed that DJax does they are still able to get separation deep.

Not GOAT, but I was more addressing the idea that they shouldn't even be in consideration for the best in the NFL right now.

There is a another aspect of the GOAT debate that is whether the greatness of one individual elevates the entire WR group to GOAT status. Is depth part of the equation?

Rosebud
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Threads like this really making me disappointed you can't just turn injuries off in the NFL. With Web playing as great as he is, Ross stepping up the way he has, TT not getting injured, Prince not having his development stunted by his injuries, Bruce Johnson giving us that inside quick guy and then Tryon and Coe who've been pretty solid...man if the giants where healthy we'd actually have the secondary depth to lock up all of the packers weapons...sigh...

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Ugh, these Packer trolls are really making my head hurt. Almost as bad as when the Giants won the Superbowl.

Rosebud
11-16-2011, 12:37 PM

*shrug* conversations like this get bogged down in the fact that people mean different things when they say pure talent. I'll explain what I mean for the giants. By one definition our most talented receiver is Mario Manningham. That's because Mario is ridiculously quick which makes his routes very sharp, when he's running the right one, so he can create separation anywhere, he can get open deep, he can turn any catch into a TD and he's got some really good hands when he's focused on making the catch and not trying to think about anything else...but he does need to think, and in an option route offense that kills his value. It means that not only can Eli not always trust him to be where he needs to be but his misreading defenses can also make it harder for other guys to get open if he's essentially running a different play than everybody else. So his overall effectiveness is infinitesimally less than his talent on this team, put the dumbass in a simple offense like what Norv's been running in SD and he would be amazing.

The opposite side of the equation is Steve Smith who was great last year in the giants complicated offense and this year hasn't made an impact for the eagles where the offense doesn't rely on his smarts to get open, but rather just on the receivers talent to get open. So his effectiveness is also significantly less this season than his talent would indicate.

That's why some people will have arguments against the Packers' overall talent level, that's not to say that they aren't a great unit, which I would say they are right meow, because the way they fit together in that offense is extraordinary and lets them surpass their talent level.

This is the problem with arguing talent, because effectiveness in the NFL doesn't always accurately reflect talent the way it does in other sports where the differences between teams aren't as drastic.

Ugh, these Packer trolls are really making my head hurt. Almost as bad as when the Giants won the Superbowl.

Most of us weren't that bad, right?...please note that most of us implies that there were exceptions...*cough* Number 10 *cough* Ricky Bobby...

Rosebud
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Really? I do think that on top of his game Nicks is just a tad more dominant than Jennings because of the physicality of his game, and Cruz is probably more explosive than Jordyzzz or Driver...but Finley blows Ballard, Mario (in this scheme) and Barden out of the water.

Nicks - Jennings - Wash

Cruz - Finley
Finley because he doesn't tempt the rules committee to stop protecting players from their own stupidity and is more inherently dominant in his play whereas Cruz beasts by pulling **** out of his ass with his incredible ballskills and hard running.

Mario - Jordyzzz
Jordyzzz, doesn't **** up as much, and with other talented options around that don't **** up as much as Mario does the significance of his big play ability is dampened.

Ballard - Driver
I'm with BBD on the unspectacular-ity of Ballard, but I think this is a wash as well. Driver really isn't anything more than a smart and tough set of hands that would have a use even if he jogged every route, and that's pretty much exactly what Jake Ballard is in our offense. So I'd say this is a wash as well.

Barden - Jones
Jones may be Mario dumb, but at least he's been healthy enough to make an impact so far in his career. I love Barden's upside, n the kid seems to be a hard worker since every offseason we've heard about how hard the kid's working to learn the offense and how hard he's working as a run blocker. But until he puts together some stretches of better healthy he's a non-factor.

I guess it's closer than I thought before I sat down to write that out, but the Packers have better depth, that's why they spread the ball around even more than we do, and with Finley they have just as much top end talent as the Giants do this year. If Barden becomes Plax 2.0, Mario finally starts taking his Adderall, Cruz stops tempting fate and Nicks can have a healthy season and avoids becoming Anquan Boldin 2.0, the giants receiving corps could be amazing, but that's just not going to happen.

sweetness34
11-16-2011, 01:14 PM
How do you stop the Packers? Well, just hope that there's a big ass blizzard in the NFC Championship Game that nullfies any threat of a passing game on either side.

In all seriousness, I believe you beat the Packers by blitzing all game long and knocking the **** out of Rodgers. He wasn't the same after Peppers plastered him (albeit with a flag) last year. Opposing defenses have to find ways to make him uncomfortable with exotic blitz packages. From what I've seen this year Rodgers simply reads the blitz and gets the ball out before pressure comes because the DB's are playing 5-10 yards off the receiver. I believe that teams are so scared of getting beat deep that they play conservatively on defense to keep the ball in front of them. They are hoping that Rodgers or the receivers make a mental error, but I believe you force them to make mistakes by applying pressure. Eventually that offensive line, which is pretty damn good at picking things up, will break down.

You don't sit back on the Packers. You attack them. Be physical and try to get hits in on Rodgers to make him uncomfortable.

The Packers are a machine right now because they work so well together. The receivers aren't the most talented bunch, but their chemistry with Rodgers is unbelievable. They know where to be at the exact time they need to be there. It's like they have this sixth sense with each other. Rodgers makes them look really good and vice versa.

It's the sum of all the parts in the passing game (offensive line included) that makes them what they are.

One thing that would concern me though is the weather come December/January. They have holes in the defense and their run game is more of a compliment to the passing game than a reliable aspect.

Personally, I believe that San Francisco poses the biggest threat and here's why.

- Their defense is stout. They don't make mistakes, they are sound in the secondary and they have the ability to get to the QB.

- They are a power offense built on not only wearing down a defense, but also controlling the ball with limited turnovers. They have the ability to keep Rodgers off the field with sustained drives. Alex Smith will have to make some plays in the passing game though and that may be my biggest concern with them.

- The Packers are not built for bad weather conditions. They are an aerial attack offense and who knows what the weather will be like up in Green Bay in two months (assuming they stay on this incredible pace).

JBCX
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Really? I do think that on top of his game Nicks is just a tad more dominant than Jennings because of the physicality of his game, and Cruz is probably more explosive than Jordyzzz or Driver...but Finley blows Ballard, Mario (in this scheme) and Barden out of the water.

Nicks - Jennings - Wash

Cruz - Finley
Finley because he doesn't tempt the rules committee to stop protecting players from their own stupidity and is more inherently dominant in his play whereas Cruz beasts by pulling **** out of his ass with his incredible ballskills and hard running.

Mario - Jordyzzz
Jordyzzz, doesn't **** up as much, and with other talented options around that don't **** up as much as Mario does the significance of his big play ability is dampened.

Ballard - Driver
I'm with BBD on the unspectacular-ity of Ballard, but I think this is a wash as well. Driver really isn't anything more than a smart and tough set of hands that would have a use even if he jogged every route, and that's pretty much exactly what Jake Ballard is in our offense. So I'd say this is a wash as well.

Barden - Jones
Jones may be Mario dumb, but at least he's been healthy enough to make an impact so far in his career. I love Barden's upside, n the kid seems to be a hard worker since every offseason we've heard about how hard the kid's working to learn the offense and how hard he's working as a run blocker. But until he puts together some stretches of better healthy he's a non-factor.

I guess it's closer than I thought before I sat down to write that out, but the Packers have better depth, that's why they spread the ball around even more than we do, and with Finley they have just as much top end talent as the Giants do this year. If Barden becomes Plax 2.0, Mario finally starts taking his Adderall, Cruz stops tempting fate and Nicks can have a healthy season and avoids becoming Anquan Boldin 2.0, the giants receiving corps could be amazing, but that's just not going to happen.

The important comparison is this:

Rodgers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eli

BloodBrother
11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
The cold weather should help the Packers defense, as they have struggled vs the pass so far this year

And just because the Pack don't run the ball often doesn't mean they don't have an effective run game. Yes, they are better suited for warm weather or domes but this notion that they aren't a bad weather team is off base. They play outdoors and are used to the conditions, moreso than pure dome teams who, well, play in domes. Rodgers threw for over 400 yards in mid December last year against the Gaints. In fact, cold weather hasn't really been a problem for him at all. Rodgers has a QB rating over 100 in games where the temp is 32 or below.

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Rodgers is better than Eli. But not by as much as you seem to think he is. People are getting caught up in the moment. Rodgers was a back up for three years. He then had a pretty good year, a great year, another pretty good year, and how he is having another great year.

Packer dick suckers are talking about Rodgers like he is Marino, Montana, Peyton, and Brady. Those guys were great for many many seasons. Rodgers has been pretty good for two seasons, and great for a season and a half. Let's slow way the hell down on this "Rodgerzzzzzz is the greatest everzzzzzz" crap.

Rosebud
11-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Eli is pretty amazing but I'd agree that Rodgers would be a better WR than Eli, he's younger and quicker. Don't see what that has to do with anything when comparing the two WR corps since neither will realistically ever catch a pass and so don't factor into the discussion...

Raiderz4Life
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
lol This thread started out with intelligent people discussing the topic. Then unnoticed the trolls started coming in and now we have like 2 pages of good responses to troll provocation.

Jvig43
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
lol This thread started out with intelligent people discussing the topic. Then unnoticed the trolls started coming in and now we have like 2 pages of good responses to troll provocation.

It's not even trolls, it's homers. Which makes it so much better.

Raiderz4Life
11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
It's not even trolls, it's homers. Which makes it so much better.

Its both actually....Trolling Homers

jackalope
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
EDIT: my mistake on the first post I originally quoted. Misread it.

Barden - Jones

What are you basing that off of?

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm gonna motion to have acertain area of the website dedicated to quarantine fans of the superbowl winning team for the whole season after. It doesn't fail, people come out of the woodwork to be as obnoxious as they possibly can, and it ruins 70% of the threads in this forum.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm gonna motion to have acertain area of the website dedicated to quarantine fans of the superbowl winning team for the whole season after. It doesn't fail, people come out of the woodwork to be as obnoxious as they possibly can, and it ruins 70% of the threads in this forum.

Right, but saying Alex Smith is better than Rodgers is not trolling. Or the many other ridiculous statements non-Packers fans have said.

BTW, Tony Romo is terrible. Good luck winning a Super Bowl with him.

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Right, but saying Alex Smith is better than Rodgers is not trolling. Or the many other ridiculous statements non-Packers fans have said.

Wait, who said Alex Smith is better than Rodgers. If they did they are certainly trolling. And Tony Romo is not terrible. I have to believe at least half of the teams in the NFL would take Romo over what they currently have. He isn't great. But he is certainly an above average QB.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/Gaia_Art_Site_Otaku/cool-story-bro.jpg

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Wait, who said Alex Smith is better than Rodgers. If they did they are certainly trolling. And Tony Romo is not terrible. I have to believe at least half of the teams in the NFL would take Romo over what they currently have. He isn't great. But he is certainly an above average QB.

Jvig43...............

There are very few times I am serious when it comes things not relating to my own team. But in all seriousness Alex Smith > Rodgers.

MetSox17
11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
If you allow yourself to be trolled by someone who's trolling purposely to troll the trolls, then you're an idiot and deserve to die a slow painful death.

Raiderz4Life
11-16-2011, 06:44 PM

jvig says it sometimes to make fun of the ppl who were claiming SMith is now somehow a top 10 QB in the league and what not. tnj doesn't know about humor, sarcasm, and/or context.

the new jesus
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/Gaia_Art_Site_Otaku/cool-story-bro.jpg

http://www.thomasverbeek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/super-cool-story-bro.png

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2328/2119346798_3dd35ca3ca.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM HEADSHOT!

Raiderz4Life
If you allow yourself to be trolled by someone who's trolling purposely to troll the trolls, then you're an idiot and deserve to die a slow painful death.

What he said pretty much haha

J-Mike88
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Packer dick suckers are talking about Rodgers like he is Marino, Montana, Peyton, and Brady. Those guys were great for many many seasons. Rodgers has been pretty good for two seasons, and great for a season and a half. Let's slow way the hell down on this "Rodgerzzzzzz is the greatest everzzzzzz" crap.
I just read thru the last page of this, and #1- the obnoxious posts are not from the Packer fans.
#2- are you calling people like Steve Young, Coach Herm Edwards, Mike Greenburg, Peter King, half the guys on Around the Horn and PTI all "Packer dick suckers"?

If you can read between the line (or at least read):
They're not saying he's the greatest QB of all time. They are debating if what he's done this year, or the past 12 months, is the best batch of work at the position they have ever seen all around.

We all get irritated by people posting crap, homers, etc.

But there are a fraction of Viking fans who are so so so so jealous, it really cracks me up. Relax... your team is due for a Super Bowl soon.

Raiderz4Life
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I just read thru the last page of this, and #1- the obnoxious posts are not from the Packer fans.
#2- are you calling people like Steve Young, Coach Herm Edwards, Mike Greenburg, Peter King, half the guys on Around the Horn and PTI all "Packer dick suckers"?

They're not saying he's the greatest QB of all time. They are debating if what he's done this year, or the past 12 months, is the best batch of work at the position they have ever seen all around.

But there are a fraction of Viking fans who are so so so so jealous, it really cracks me up. Relax... your team is due for a Super Bowl soon.

If he doesn't...I do. 90% of them have 0 clue of wtf they're talking about and are a bunch of morons that only get jobs on ESPN because of their name.

jrdrylie
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM

It is dick sucking when, before the season, multiple people on ESPN were calling Rodgers the best QB in the NFL. I said in the offseason that you can't say that when Brady has more rings, a better overall career, and a better 2010 with a less talented supporting cast. Yes Rodgers is playing better now, but BEFORE the season, calling Rodgers the best in the NFL was either dick sucking or getting caught up in the moment.

It is dick sucking when they say he is playing QB better than any other QB ever. Once again, I would say what Brady did last year is more impressive than what Rodgers is doing now. What Brady did in 2007 is as well. And all of this is coming from a guy who can't stand Brady.

J-Mike88
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Nonsense.

Anyway as I said early in this thread, the Packers can easily be beaten even with the great Rodgers. To further illustrate how:

Rodgers Game Stat:

28/42
423 Yards
10.1 per attempt
4 TDs
1 Int
1 TD rush
121.3 passer rating

This would represent a "subpar" game for Rodgers this year as his passer rating is higher than that is.

Also:

Jennings 8-130 & a TD
J-Mike 6-159 yards
Jones 3-50 & a TD
Driver 4-43 yards
Jordyz 1 TD catch

Grant 11 carries, 64 yards........

Unstoppable offense.
But the Packers still lost that game.

That was the 51-45 playoff loss to the 29/33 for 5 TDs Kurt Warner Cardinals in 2010.

Now I don't think anyone can put up #s like that in January in frozen Green Bay, but if Clay Matthews is out, or bottled up and a great QB has all day to throw, he can and probably will carve up the Packers defense.
If so, all it takes is a turnover or two from the Packers and they will lose. That's how upsets happen usually.

I don't mean to rain on the Packers parade, but this defense is just okay. There should be no talk of greatest team ever or all that.....

But the love for Brady still bewilders me.
I want to see his playoff stats since the 2004 season.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
If he doesn't...I do. 90% of them have 0 clue of wtf they're talking about and are a bunch of morons that only get jobs on ESPN because of their name.

Yes, I'm sure you know much more about football than guys who dedicate their lives to the sport like Steve Young and Herm Edwards? Most people on this site are teenagers or in their early 20s. They might have played high school football, if that. Yet they know more about football than Hall of Famers? Hmmm, ya OK.

jackalope
11-16-2011, 08:44 PM
It is dick sucking when, before the season, multiple people on ESPN were calling Rodgers the best QB in the NFL. I said in the offseason that you can't say that when Brady has more rings, a better overall career, and a better 2010 with a less talented supporting cast. Yes Rodgers is playing better now, but BEFORE the season, calling Rodgers the best in the NFL was either dick sucking or getting caught up in the moment.

But... they were right.

Raiderz4Life
11-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Yes, I'm sure you know much more about football than guys who dedicate their lives to the sport like Steve Young and Herm Edwards? Most people on this site are teenagers or in their early 20s. They might have played high school football, if that. Yet they know more about football than Hall of Famers? Hmmm, ya OK.

You're about as bright as they are. Players don't always make great analysts....just like great players don't always make great coaches. Its really not hard to understand...well at least not for someone with a little bit of common sense and intelligence.

the new jesus
11-16-2011, 08:58 PM
You're about as bright as they are. Players don't always make great analysts....just like great players don't always make great coaches. Its really not hard to understand...well at least not for someone with a little bit of common sense and intelligence.

Whereas a guy who has never played football and watches a few games a week has the credibility to say something like that? Get outta here. Explain to me why you think you know more about football than Steve Young or Herm Edwards. What do you have that they don't?

tjsunstein
11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
This epitomizes the downfall of this board.