PDA

View Full Version : If OU beats Oklahoma State...

gpngc
11-15-2011, 02:30 PM
...and LSU remains undefeated. And everything else goes according to plan...

Alabama walks into the BSC title game, right? Not Oregon? Houston? lol

Smooth Criminal
11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
No way it's Houston. I think it'd be Oklahoma over Oregon as well. Itd be so weird to see Alabama play LSU in the national championship

diabsoule
11-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Oklahoma might vault Alabama and Oregon if they beat OSU. It would probably be best from a ratings perspective too since that's the only game that wouldn't be a rematch

JRTPlaya21
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Why do these threads keep popping up...... Is there going to be one if OU slips against Baylor or USC knocks off Oregon?? Again just wait a few more weeks.

niel89
11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I hope that it ends up being some other team other than Alabama. I just would rather see some new match up and see if someone can knock off the SEC.

Why do these threads keep popping up...... Is there going to be one if OU slips against Baylor or USC knocks off Oregon?? Again just wait a few more weeks.

Yes. Absolutely.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
This couldn't have continued in the other thread? and the answer is that Ok St. doesn't lose the game :P

keylime_5
11-15-2011, 04:28 PM
if past history is any indication the voters would put Oklahoma in the NC in that scenario as a rematch of the 2004 Sugar Bowl NC game. LSU beat Alabama and Oregon and neither of those games were at home. The voters would probably jump Oklahoma over Bama and Oregon if they beat Ok State, which would mean the winner of that OU/OKST game would get a title shot IMO.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
if past history is any indication the voters would put Oklahoma in the NC in that scenario as a rematch of the 2004 Sugar Bowl NC game. LSU beat Alabama and Oregon and neither of those games were at home. The voters would probably jump Oklahoma over Bama and Oregon if they beat Ok State, which would mean the winner of that OU/OKST game would get a title shot IMO.

^ this is it does happen, don't think it does but they would probably leap frog everyone

Babylon
11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I hope that it ends up being some other team other than Alabama. I just would rather see some new match up and see if someone can knock off the SEC.

Yes. Absolutely.

Or at least score a TD.

TACKLE
11-15-2011, 05:19 PM
'If Arkansas beats LSU' is the more intriguing scenario. It would create a 3-way tie for first in the SEC West with the BCS being the final tie-breaker.

keylime_5
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
that would really **** up the BCS. however I don't have much confidence in Arkansas pulling off the upset after seeing them nearly lose to Ole Miss and Vanderbilt and getting smashed by Alabama. Arkansas does seem to always give LSU their best game though. They must really like the golden boot.

Iamcanadian
11-15-2011, 07:05 PM
If Oklahoma beats Oklahoma St., they would get the bid without a doubt. Unfortunately, they tend to fold up in Bowl games since Stoops has been their HC.

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
'If Arkansas beats LSU' is the more intriguing scenario. It would create a 3-way tie for first in the SEC West with the BCS being the final tie-breaker.

Can't see Arkansas winning that tie-breaker. Whether its LSU/Alabama it won't matter, if that team wins the SEC championship game it will go to the National Championship. That team would be ahead of Oregon and play the best team in Oklahoma.

descendency
11-15-2011, 09:27 PM

if OU loses again and OU beats OkSU, then it's definitely Alabama in the National Title.

LSU already beat both Oregon and Alabama, but Alabama actually made a game of it.

SickwithIt1010
11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Who knows, if Oregon runs the table the rest of the year they would have the Pac 12 championship and Bama wouldnt play that week. It would help Oregon big time...and to be completely honest they are the only ones that have a chance to score on that defense.

nrk
11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
if OU loses again and OU beats OkSU, then it's definitely Alabama in the National Title.

LSU already beat both Oregon and Alabama, but Alabama actually made a game of it.

I rather see Oregon get the rematch. Oregon played them the first game of the season and teams often improve as the season goes on. Oregon would have actually won their conference as well. Oregon will jump Alabama after the Pac-12 Championship game.

I'm not confident OU will beat Ok. State since we lost Broyles and Whaley for the rest of the season. Kenny Stills has to have a big game and the defense must get turnovers. This is a big if.

Bucs_Rule
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Also Alabama will be ranked higher. What really hurts Alabama is not winnings its conference. Many voters hate the idea of a none conference winner playing for the National Championship. I really don't know which team would get picked.

JRTPlaya21
11-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Again you say they hate the idea but these voters that "hate" it so much allowed Nebraska & Oklahoma to play for title games after NOT winning their conference. The BCS has to live with their own stupidity if they lack any desire to modify the system.

gpngc
11-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Also Alabama will be ranked higher. What really hurts Alabama is not winnings its conference. Many voters hate the idea of a none conference winner playing for the National Championship. I really don't know which team would get picked.

Which is why I posed the question.

OU, Oregon, and Bama would all have strong cases.

And Houston would be undefeated lol.

nrk
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Alabama: .9099
Oregon: .8755
Oklahoma .8400

Alabama has 2 games left with 1 ranked game left, #24 Auburn.
Oregon has 2 non-ranked games and a conference championship game.
Oklahoma has 3 games left, 2 ranked in #22 Baylor, #2 Ok. State.

Oregon is really close behind Alabama and with that conference championship game I think Oregon will pass them.

Oklahoma has catching up to do, but I think Oklahoma will jump Alabama and Oregon with 2/3 games remaining being ranked, especially when they play the #2.

I think a more interesting scenario is if LSU loses to Arkansas, Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, and Oregon wins out. #1-#10 could all be 1 loss teams and the undefeated Houston. It also creates a 3 way tie for SEC West. Playoffs in this scenario would be awesome.

brat316
11-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Idk seeing an all SEC BCS Champ game could bring in lots of $$$

the ducks could make it as well, voters have short memories, even if it is a rematch.

But first OSU has to be knocked off.

jth1331
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
What would be even more hilarious is if LSU wins out, and loses to Georgia in the SEC Championship game.
Say OU, Oregon and Alabama all win out as well.
WHO GOES TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?!?!?!?

JRTPlaya21
11-18-2011, 10:58 PM
If OU beats OSU it won't matter!! ISU for the upset.

RealityCheck
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
If OU beats OSU it won't matter!! ISU for the upset.
OSU just beat Tech 66-6, there's no way ISU will beat them! :D

JRTPlaya21
11-18-2011, 11:42 PM
OSU just beat Tech 66-6, there's no way ISU will beat them! :D

Don't forget OSU can hang atleast 40 on any SEC defense and Weeden > Luck

Smooth Criminal
11-19-2011, 08:08 AM
So what are we left with. LSU vs. Bama, OU, or Oregon.

Poor Boise fans have to hate their lives. This easily could have been the year they got in with Stanford and OKst going down the last two weeks.

RealityCheck
11-19-2011, 08:50 AM
So what are we left with. LSU vs. Bama, OU, or Oregon.

Poor Boise fans have to hate their lives. This easily could have been the year they got in with Stanford and OKst going down the last two weeks.
I guess it's safe to say Dan Goodale is the man who ****** college football up forever.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
The funny thing is all the SEC haters complaining about a rematch between Bama and LSU are the same one's clamoring for a playoff.

If there was a playoff, you'd still be seeing a rematch between LSU and Bama. They're the two best teams in the country by a wide margin. You can lump all the rest together and get 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other.

Like I said several weeks ago in another thread where everyone was whining about how unfair everything was... it'll all come out in the wash. The two best teams will play for the national championship.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Don't forget OSU can hang atleast 40 on any SEC defense and Weeden > Luck

40 what? Rushing yards?

Stop losing to 4 touchdown underdogs and maybe they'd deserve a shot...

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
The funny thing is all the SEC haters complaining about a rematch between Bama and LSU are the same one's clamoring for a playoff.

If there was a playoff, you'd still be seeing a rematch between LSU and Bama. They're the two best teams in the country by a wide margin. You can lump all the rest together and get 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other.

Like I said several weeks ago in another thread where everyone was whining about how unfair everything was... it'll all come out in the wash. The two best teams will play for the national championship.

Anything can Happen in a playoff setting. Anyone can lose at any given time, people wanna see the 10/8 best teams in the country get a chance at bringing it home. If it happens to be 2 SEC teams...so be it.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
40 what? Rushing yards?

Stop losing to 4 touchdown underdogs and maybe they'd deserve a shot...

Bama needs to focus on scoring a TD on someone other than Georgia state school of the blind before I turn on a rematch of most boring ******* game in the history of college football. Game of the century my ass

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Anything can Happen in a playoff setting. Anyone can lose at any given time, people wanna see the 10/8 best teams in the country get a chance at bringing it home. If it happens to be 2 SEC teams...so be it.

I've never been a huge fan of the BCS, but it usually always gets it right whether anyone agrees with the setup or not.

It's designed to get the 2 best teams in the country playing for the title, that's it. I can't think of more than 1, possibly 2 years in which it failed to do that, and even in those years it's extremely debateable as to whether or not it didn't get the 2 best teams matched up. (Undefeated Auburn left out in 2004, and Oregon left out in 2001)

The "fly in the ointment" crowd will always whine about Boise St. and clamor for a playoff because they know that's their only chance.

I'm fine with a playoff, because even though I think the results would be the same, at least nobody could complain about being left out. Other than a team or two complaining about being left out of the playoff scenario.

As it stands currently, every week is a playoff if you ask me.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Bama needs to focus on scoring a TD on someone other than Georgia state school of the blind before I turn on a rematch of most boring ******* game in the history of college football. Game of the century my ass

Both Bama and LSU average around 40 PPG against everyone else, it's a different can o' worms when you have to play these two defenses.

Best advice I can give you is don't watch it if you don't want to see it. Turn on some college hoops instead. That's basically the type of football you're partial to anyway apparently.

If you can't see how historically great these two defenses are, you're better off watching some roundball anyway.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Two things. First, with a playoff, there is no guarantee that LSU and Alabama would play in the championship in a playoff. But if they did, I would be cool with that because they would have proven that they are the two best teams in the nation.

Second, what makes Alabama the second best team in the country. Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern are terrible. Ole Miss and Tennessee are very bad. Florida, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State are average teams. Arkansas and Penn State are slightly above average. The only really good team they have played is LSU, and they lost.

The only thing an LSU-Alabama rematch will prove is who is the best team in the weakest SEC in the last 6 years.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Two things. First, with a playoff, there is no guarantee that LSU and Alabama would play in the championship in a playoff. But if they did, I would be cool with that because they would have proven that they are the two best teams in the nation.

Second, what makes Alabama the second best team in the country. Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern are terrible. Ole Miss and Tennessee are very bad. Florida, Auburn, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State are average teams. Arkansas and Penn State are slightly above average. The only really good team they have played is LSU, and they lost.

The only thing an LSU-Alabama rematch will prove is who is the best team in the weakest SEC in the last 6 years.

I think it's fairly obvious you're either being stubborn, haven't watched Alabama play, or have no idea what a good football team looks like if you're having trouble with Alabama being one of the two best teams in the country.

I'm going to assume it's all three...

LSU blew out Oregon (the eventual Pac-12 champ) blew out WVU on the road... Alabama is the only team that can whip LSU and everybody knows it.

Arkansas is a top 5 team. If you get right down to it, Arkansas is essentially what Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. are... the cream of the Big-12 conference...but a good notch below Alabama and LSU in the SEC. Great quarterback, receivers, backs, offensive line, etc... capable of scoring a lot of points against run-of-the-mill teams, but simply can't stand up to the physicality of an Alabama or LSU. Same goes for Oklahoma or Oklahoma St.

Every single one of Alabama and LSU's common opponents (Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., Florida, Tennessee, Auburn) were all beaten by almost identical scores by both Alabama and LSU. They were all dominated in the exact same fashion by Bama and LSU.

Bama can beat LSU. They moved the ball on LSU better than LSU could move the ball on them. A.J. McCarron passed for more yards on LSU's defense than every quarterback they've faced other than Geno Smith and Darron Thomas. All Bama needed was one of those 50 yard field goals to sneak through.

Saban probably won't be as conservative offensively this time around.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
It's designed to get the 2 best teams in the country playing for the title, that's it. I can't think of more than 1, possibly 2 years in which it failed to do that, and even in those years it's extremely debateable as to whether or not it didn't get the 2 best teams matched up. (Undefeated Auburn left out in 2004, and Oregon left out in 2001)

In 1998, Florida State was 11-1 and went to the BCS Championship Game. Why not UCLA? Their only loss was at Miami in a game that was postponed due to a hurricane so it had to be played after their rivalry game with USC. Or Ohio State, who was number one all season, who beat four ranked teams that year and had just one loss?

In 2000, Florida State was again 11-1. They lost to Miami, who was also 11-1. Why not Miami? Or Washington, who was also 11-1 and beat Miami? Or Oregon State who was also 11-1?

You already mention 2001 and 2004. 2006 wasn't a huge controversy, but you could argue Michigan should have gone. 2007 had a two loss team go when there were a bunch of other 2 loss teams.

So in 12 years, there have been three big controversies and two smaller controversies. There will be another huge controversy this year. Getting it right without controversy 7 out of 13 times is not a good track record.

No it isn't. In a playoff, you lose you're out and if you keep on winning, you continue. In the BCS, you lose you're out. Unless of course you are in the SEC, then you can lose as much as you want. In the BCS, if you win every game you go to the Championship game. Unless of course you aren't in one of the Big Six conferences. In that case, you can go undefeated and be passed up by a two loss team.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Arkansas is a top 5 team.

No they aren't. They barely beat Troy. They barely beat Texas A&M. They barely beat Ole Miss. They barely beat Vanderbilt. LSU and Alabama were the only two good teams they played and they got killed by both of them.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I've never been a huge fan of the BCS, but it usually always gets it right whether anyone agrees with the setup or not.

The "fly in the ointment" crowd will always whine about Boise St. and clamor for a playoff because they know that's their only chance.

I'm fine with a playoff, because even though I think the results would be the same, at least nobody could complain about being left out. Other than a team or two complaining about being left out of the playoff scenario.

Meh, USC was the best team in the country in 04 and they got left out. The BCS is a joke, why is every single sport we have decided by a playoff but division 1 college football? Every other level of college football is as well. It just seems funny to me.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
No they aren't. They barely beat Troy. They barely beat Texas A&M. They barely beat Ole Miss. They barely beat Vanderbilt. LSU and Alabama were the only two good teams they played and they got killed by both of them.

Oklahoma St. barely beat Texas A&M. Arkansas beat aTm worse than Oklahoma St. did.

South Carolina is a pretty good team, Arkansas hammered 'em. Arkansas beat Miss St. a lot worse than LSU or Bama did.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
In 1998, Florida State was 11-1 and went to the BCS Championship Game. Why not UCLA? Their only loss was at Miami in a game that was postponed due to a hurricane so it had to be played after their rivalry game with USC. Or Ohio State, who was number one all season, who beat four ranked teams that year and had just one loss?

In 2000, Florida State was again 11-1. They lost to Miami, who was also 11-1. Why not Miami? Or Washington, who was also 11-1 and beat Miami? Or Oregon State who was also 11-1?

You already mention 2001 and 2004. 2006 wasn't a huge controversy, but you could argue Michigan should have gone. 2007 had a two loss team go when there were a bunch of other 2 loss teams.

So in 12 years, there have been three big controversies and two smaller controversies. There will be another huge controversy this year. Getting it right without controversy 7 out of 13 times is not a good track record.

No it isn't. In a playoff, you lose you're out and if you keep on winning, you continue. In the BCS, you lose you're out. Unless of course you are in the SEC, then you can lose as much as you want. In the BCS, if you win every game you go to the Championship game. Unless of course you aren't in one of the Big Six conferences. In that case, you can go undefeated and be passed up by a two loss team.

Where will the huge controversy be this year? A 2 loss Oklahoma St. team if they lose to Oklahoma? A 1 loss Oklahoma St. team who lost to a 4 TD underdog?

A 2 loss Oregon team? A 2 loss Oklahoma team? A 1 loss team from the MWC? Get real.

We've already had rematches in the national championship game before the BCS came along, it has nothing to do with it.

The only place there's controversy is in the heads of SEC haters. Not in any of the polls, computers, or anyone who subscribes to the notion that the two best teams in the country should be playing for the national title.