PDA

View Full Version : Two Rounder with detailed analysis for round one

MI_Buckeye
11-17-2011, 01:39 AM
I used the current draft order for all picks. I welcome all criticism, but I would advise you that I get awfully tired of some of the insipid commentary I sometimes receive on this board. Any personal insults will not be acknowledged.

Also, when suggesting an alternative to the pick I predict, please be more constructive than, "this pick sucks, give XXXXX YYYYYYYYY." I recognize I don't know nearly as much about each team as their hardcore fans do, but please be respectful and educate me, don't insult me. Thank you, and enjoy THE GREATEST MOCK DRAFT EVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! LOL

1. Indianapolis Andrew Luck, Stanford QB

In the “Suck for Luck” Challenge, Indy is pulling away like Secretariat on the last leg of the Preakness, but it’s not over yet. However, the Colts have basically told the world they will take Andrew Luck if they wind up with the first pick, and it’s just a no-brainer. The only question becomes what they would do with Peyton. Personally, I think there is still great trade value that won’t be there if they wait a year or two. Would a team like, say, San Francisco, sell out for a few years of magic with Manning?

2. Carolina Matt Kalil, USC OT

It seems unlikely Carolina would end up picking this high, but if it happened, they would be sitting in a position of power. A number of teams picking behind them desperately need a QB, which should lead to some enticing trade offers. Should they keep the pick, they would be able to pick between a number of quality players at key areas of need including WR and CB. However, Kalil is the pick here, not only because he is probably the best player left on the board, but also because RT Jeff Otah was recently listed on the IR for the third time in four years, and LT Jordan Gross is not quite an elite pass protector at this point in his career. Kalil is an undisputed stud will probably actually grade out higher as a prospect than either former No. 1 overall pick Jake Long or perennial all-pro Joe Thomas. As an added bonus, Kalil’s brother Ryan is the starting center for the Panthers and one of the best in the league at that.

3. Miami Matt Barkley, USC QB

Come hell or high water, the Phins will be taking a QB in April. It doesn’t matter how well Matt Moore plays down the stretch or even if the Dolphins win enough games to escape the top ten. A new regime is coming in, and that will most certainly mean a change at the game’s most critical position. I have been back and forth on Barkley. I can envision him taking a Clausen-esque fall during the draft process because of his lack of overwhelming physical tools, but ultimately, I think he will solidify himself as the No. 2 QB in the draft because of his football acumen, professional dememanor and personal charm.

4. St. Louis Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State WR

With Brandon Lloyd in the fold, CB is probably a bigger need than WR, and Morris Claiborne is probably a higher-rated prospect than Blackmon. However, I don’t think Bill Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo will rest easy until they have done everything possible to give Sam Bradford every possible chance to be the elite franchise QB they need him to be. Blackmon has outrageous ball skills and is more explosive after the catch than he is given credit for. A model of consistency, Blackmon has clearly established himself IMO, as the top pass catcher in the draft. In spite of his DUI, I don’t think character and maturity will be issues for him in the draft process.

5. Minnesota Jonathan Martin, Stanford OT

Martin is a need pick here, but he is not exactly an egregious reach on the level of Levi Brown in 2007. Martin has tremendous feet and has grown technically to the point where he can probably be plugged in from day one on the left side and kick Charlie Johnson inside where he is probably better suited.

6. Washington Robert Griffin, Baylor QB
Like Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan is very picky when it comes to QBs, so it might not be a total shock if he eschews selecting a franchise QB for the second year in a row and try to goad Jake Plummer out of retirement. However, I do think Shanahan will have his eyes swell when he evaluates RGIII. Griffin seems to have the three tools Shanny desires most in his quarterbacks dripping out his ears. Arm strength: Check. Physical toughness: Check. Athleticism with the ability to throw on the run: Of course. His value is all over the board at this point, but if Griffin were a couple inches taller and a bit meatier he would easily be a top ten prospect, no questions asked.
7. Arizona Morris Claiborne, LSU CB

Claiborne is a candidate for a few spots before the Cards go on the clock, so the value is obviously there. Claiborne also fills a need, as the Cards have very little outside of Claiborne’s former teammate Patrick Peterson. Claiborne has established himself as a stud for the No. 1 team in the nation playing the run aggressively and making plays in both man and zone coverage. He has risen his stock from fringe first rounder at the season’s beginning to top ten lock.

8. Jacksonville Michael Floyd, Notre Dame WR
I really don’t feel great about this pick. I am not a fan of Floyd as a prospect. I think he is a bit of a bully in college, using his superior strength to outphysical DBs in a way that won’t work at the next level. And in spite of his potentially great triangle numbers, I think he is too stiff and could stand to lose some muscle mass. However, the Jags desperately need big WRs, and I think Floyd has overtaken Alshon Jeffery, who has been a slight disappointment this season. Floyd has some big-time character issues, which won’t sit well with Gene Smith, but I think he even realizes now, a year after trading into the top ten to select the QB of the future, this organization has ignored offensive playmakers far too long.
9. Philadelphia Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State ILB

Mediocre LB play has plagued the Eagles for years, and held them back from achieving league elite status. This year, mediocrity has been replaced by pure suck. Luckily for Philly, this is potentially one of the best linebacking crops in recent memory if a number of highly-regarded juniors declare. Burfict is the ILB prospect since Patrick Willis, and offers an intimidating presence the Eagles haven’t had since Chuck Bednarik taunted Frank Gifford after breaking him in two. Burfict plays with an almost too maniacal edge and will likely be among the league’s most fined players, but he has the game to vindicate his bad boy image.

10. Cleveland Trent Richardson, Alabama RB

Seven years ago, Richardson would have never made it outside the top ten. However, the position he plays is now one of the least-valued in the first round, and Richardson’s draft stock will suffer because of it. A year after his coming out party, Peyton Hillis is quickly wearing out his welcome with bizarre prima donna antics and a severe drop-off in production. All for the better anyways; Hillis never dreamed of being as good as T-Rich. The bigger question for the Browns is whether or not they believe Colt McCoy is the answer at QB. My guess is he will get one more shot next season.

11. Seattle Landry Jones, Oklahoma QB

Easiest pick of the mock. James Carpenter over Andy Dalton is looking like one of the worst draft decisions in quite a while, and going into an NFL season with Tarvares Jackson as your starter is flat inexcusable. Jones is not quite an elite prospect, but he certainly the physical traits and mental maturity to handle the position. Jones puts up huge numbers in Oklahoma’s offense and has an effortless throwing motion, but he hasn’t exactly been Joe Montana in the clutch, and has been prone to some really, REALLY awful performances.

12. Kansas City Quinton Coples, North Carolina DE

Coples might not be the stud pass rusher that many were hoping he would be, but he is clearly a very solid all-around player with the strength and length to be an ideal five technique. I like the idea of Coples landing in a multiple-front scheme with a coaching staff willing to play him all over the line. He will be a beast inside on passing downs. If the Chiefs overhaul their defensive structure in the offseason, I think they will be better for it.

13. San Diego Courtney Upshaw, Alabama OLB

Larry English is a bust, and Shaun Phillips isn’t really a primary pass rusher at this point. Upshaw, in contrast, has been absolutely brilliant bringing pressure from the outside in one of the few college defenses that runs a base 3-4. Unlike most 3-4 OLB prospects, Upshaw has proven the ability to excel in the non-pass rushing elements playing the position such as tackling in the open field and dropping into coverage. It may be early, but I really feel Upshaw will be branded with the dreaded “safest player on the board” label.

14. Tampa Bay Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama CB

Aqib Talib is a menace to society, and Ronde Barber is way on the back end of his career. Kirkpatrick is a feisty gamer who has undergone defensive back boot camp under Nick Saban and is pro-ready. He doesn’t always play with the right technique, but he is long, fluid and athletic and should be able to adapt to the Bucs’ cover 2 scheme.

15. Denver Devon Still, Penn State DT
I would like to go record right now, and say there is no way the Broncos will be picking this low in April. They have a difficult schedule coming up and Peyton Hillis playing QB. But if this scenario played out, you just know Fox and Elway will be dreading choosing between Still and Ryan Tannehill. In the end, if Denver finishes around 8-8, there is no way the front office will be allowed to give up on Timmy Terrific. And forget about Alshon Jeffery; Denver will simply not build a passing game around an option QB. Instead, Denver upgrades its biggest hole on defense with one of the fastest risers of the 2011 season. Still has been nothing short of terrific in a very uneven season for the Nitany Lions and will probably be the top 3 technique available.
16. Tennessee Manti Te’o, Notre Dame ILB

The Titans go best defensive player available and choose the aggressive, uber-athletic Te’o. The Titans lost Stephen Tulloch this offseason, and lack difference makers in the LB corps. Consider Te’O Rey Maualuga with brains.

17. Dallas Billy Winn, Boise State DE

Lots of people are very high on Winn, and I am one of them. I think his best fit would come as a 5 technique in a 3-4 scheme, because he plays with terrific leverage and hands. The Cowboys have been looking to upgrade their defensive front for years, and I think this draft will offer a number of options in the middle of the first round.

18. Cleveland* Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina WR

Easy choice here. In spite of the negative run Jeffery has been receiving on this forum, he is still an exceptionally talented pass catcher. Jeffery has been a man amongst boys at times in the SEC. While his work ethic, speed and consistency will come under heavy scrutiny in the draft process, he has phenomenal hands, great size and should profile as a No. 1 in a WCO.

19. Jets Vinny Curry, Marshall OLB

I think the Jets really wanted to take a pass rusher last year, but didn’t see one worth the No 30 pick. While this year’s crop of pass rushers doesn’t have the best high-end talent, there will be a number of serviceable options wherever the Jets end up picking. Curry has been a baller and a beast for over two years now, putting on big-time performances against Marshall’s toughest opponents. It will be debated whether Curry is a real conversion prospect or if he would be better off keeping his hand in the ground. The combine will be key for Curry.

20. Buffalo Mike Adams, Ohio State OT

While some Bills fans insist the offensive line is not an issue, I really don’t see anybody who I would consider a stud pass protector with elite feet. While Adams has not always played up to his potential in Columbus, he certainly has all the talent in the world and has stepped up his game severely this year. In the end, upside is why Adams gets the nod over Riley Reiff.

21. Cincinnati* David DeCastro, Stanford OG

One of the biggest surprises in the NFL this season, the Bengals still have a few major question marks, one being interior offensive line. DeCastro is one of the most intense and athletic interior linemen to come out recently and will fit perfectly in the Bengals’ run-first offense. Another “safest pick” candidate.

22. Cincinnati Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama CB

Well isn’t this a match made in heaven?! Jenkins not only fills the Bengals’ biggest need, but he also should find comfort in a locker room full of renegades, degenerates and junkies. Seriously, Jenkins was the top senior defensive back coming into this season but multiple drug arrests and dismissal from the University of Florida have caused his stock to take a tumble. Since Oakland doesn’t have a pick the first four rounds, Jenkins better hope Cincy or Dallas shows some interest or he could be in for a serious wait.

23. Giants Zach Brown, North Carolina OLB

Jerry Reese places a high premium on athleticism, and Brown has plenty of it. Good thing is, Brown is also an outstanding football player with solid fundamentals and fills the G-Men’s most glaring hole at weakside linebacker. Brown doesn’t possess the physical intimidation of Burfict or Te’o, but his range is second to none.

24. New England* Peter Konz, Wisconsin C

Like only Maurkice Pouncey in the past ten years, Konz has established himself as a legitimate first round underclassman in the interior O line. He is strong, athletic and smart and just looks like he should be playing in New England. There is a very good chance Konz goes back to school, but he will be a top 50 pick if he comes out. The Pats were at their best when they invested early picks in the trenches, and they might be forced to go back to that well.

25. New England Whitney Mercilus, Illinois OLB

Mercilus, only a junior, has come on like gangbusters this season and looks like a likely early declaration. Mercilus is a conversion prospect who has the size the Pats typically look for in their pass rushers.

26. Houston T.J. McDonald, USC S

Hard to see too many holes on a Texans team that is clearly on the upswing, but I think some reinforcement on the back end would server Houston well. McDonald has immense physical talent and is adept at playing center field as well as filling the box. He is like Taylor Mays with more discipline and fluidity.

27. Chicago Riley Reiff, Iowa OT

Reiff is a steal at No. 27, and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone traded up for him when he starts to fall. Reiff is a solid technician who plays through the whistle. He doesn’t have elite feet, but they’re good enough to play LT. He doesn’t have elite power, but he can play the right side. He is just a solid overall lineman, who will instantly upgrade Chicago’s patchwork unit.

28. Detroit Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State CB

Not the hottest of draft commodities at the moment, Banks is a big-time play maker who makes up for ordinary physical tools with instincts and acitivity. Banks has the ability to play outside the numbers and inside at nickel, where he might be best. If Banks played for LSU or Bama, I think he would be a first round lock.

29. Baltimore Jared Crick, Nebraska DE

I know Crick is out for the year with an elbow injury, but I really don’t think it will affect his draft stock as much as people are saying. Anyways, Ozzie Newsome specializes in picking up highly productive colleg players whose stock has dropped for one reason or another, and he generally gets those moves right. Had it not been for the injury, Crick would have been solidly in the first round.

30. San Francisco Dontari Poe, Memphis DT

Poe is 350 pounds and can move a little. That usually gets you a spot in the first couple rounds. Like Phil Taylor, it is actually surprising Poe is so large when you first see him, he carries his weight so well. While I wouldn’t be shocked if Poe ended up going to a 4-3 team, his best fit is as a true nose tackle.

31. Pittsbrugh Chase Minnifield, Virginia CB

The Steelers have been keeping their secondary together with Scotch tape in recent years, having no bona fide cover guys on the edge. I don’t know if Minnifield profiles as a shutdown guy, but he has the bloodlines and technical proficiency that will be attractive to a meat-and-potatoes organization like the Steelers.

32. Green Bay Lamar Miller, Miami RB

While everyone else is busy plugging holes, Green Bay gets the chance to take the best players available. While the Packers might have bigger holes in the secondary, nobody is good enough to justify passing on Miller, easily one of the 20 best players in the draft. Miller is an all-around playmaker who has drawn comparisons to LT. Just when you thought this offense couldn’t get any more explosive.

33. Indianapolis Brandon Thompson, Clemson DT
34. Miami Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers WR
35. St. Louis Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska CB
36. Minnesota Alameda Ta’amu, Washington DT
37. Carolina Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech CB
38. Philadelphia* Jerel Worthy, Michigan State DT
39. Jacksonville Brandon Jenkins, Florida State DE
40. Philadelphia Zebrie Sanders, Florida State OT
41. Cleveland Luke Kuechly, Boston College ILB
42. Seattle Josh Chapman, Alabama DT
43. Washington Xavier Rhodes, Florida State CB
44. San Diego Cordy Glenn, Georgia OG
45. Tampa Bay Kevin Reddick, North Carolina OLB
46. Denver Chris Polk, Washington RB
47. Kansas City Dont’a Hightower, Alabama ILB
48. Dallas Michael Brewster, Ohio State C
49. Atlanta Dwayne Allen, Clemson TE
50. Jets Dwight Jones, North Carolina WR
51. Buffalo Orson Charles, Georgia TE
52. Tennessee Kawann Short, Purdue DT
53. New England* Joe Adams, Arkansas WR
54. Cincinnati Robert Lester, Alabama S
55. Giants Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State OG
56. New Orleans Sylvester Williams, North Carolina DT
57. New England Andre Branch, Clemson OLB
58. Houston Brian Quick, Appalachian State WR
59. Chicago Mark Barron, Alabama S
60. Detroit Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin OG
61. Baltimore David Wilson, Virginia Tech RB
62. San Francisco Shea McCellan, Boise State OLB
63. Pittsburgh Lucas Nix, Pittsburgh OG
64. Green Bay Ryan Steed, Furman CB

vidae
11-17-2011, 01:46 AM
For KC:

Coples just doesn't fit what we do here in our defense. Pioli does love drafting his DL, but this pick is more of a headscratcher than anything. There is better value to be had elsewhere, and I can't help but feel like Coples would be wasted here.

Hightower in the second is a good pick. I'm a big fan of Alabama LBs too.

prock
11-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Fantastic Vikings draft, loading up the trenches. I would rather have Claiborne for value purposes though.

Vaylor
11-17-2011, 05:11 AM
The Patriots really don't need to double dip at the OLB position. Mark Barron would be a better choice. This team desperately needs a safety.

Matthew Jones
11-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Konz would be a great pick. Mercilus would be nice but I don't think the Patriots will draft a pass rusher that high. Mohamed Sanu and Mark Barron would be good choices in the late first and early second. Andre Branch would be nice.

Sloopy
11-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Just some insight on the Ravens here :)

Our DL is one of our deeper positions (as well as pass rusher, just in case for your next mock)

Needs are OT C ILB DB (corner mostly) and maybe WR.

In this case I would see us taking Kuechly with the first Maybe Zebrie Sanders or Denard. Even might take a reach on Brewster.

I see where a lack of options in the 2nd might lead to the RB pick (and we do need depth at the position) but I really hope we don't have to use a 2nd to address it, might prefer Nick Toon here

T-RICH49
11-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Coples is a terrible freaking pick.Adams or Decastro would be better.Love the Hightower pick

Menardo75
11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Niner mock is terrible d line is the deepest spot on the team not a first round need. Corner or Safety are the top needs on the team. The second round is too early for Shea OLB shouldn't be picked in the second unless it's the right one.

49erNation85
11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Agreed about 9ers mock you just failed. If we go defense its CB or a S .

SuperPacker
11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
For GB:

Lamar Miller is a good player and BPA so i cant really complain because thats how we draft. He isnt a need though so personally i would rather see someone like hosely/dennard at CB, thompson/worthy at DE, barron at S or even Kuelchy for ILB depth.

shylo3716
11-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Mediocre LB play has plagued the Eagles for years, and held them back from achieving league elite status. This year, mediocrity has been replaced by pure suck. Luckily for Philly, this is potentially one of the best linebacking crops in recent memory if a number of highly-regarded juniors declare. Burfict is the ILB prospect since Patrick Willis, and offers an intimidating presence the Eagles haven’t had since Chuck Bednarik taunted Frank Gifford after breaking him in two. Burfict plays with an almost too maniacal edge and will likely be among the league’s most fined players, but he has the game to vindicate his bad boy image.

38. Philadelphia* Jerel Worthy, Michigan State DT
40. Philadelphia Zebrie Sanders, Florida State OT

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/7/0/2/7/1195423550187356949molumen_red_approved_stamp.svg. hi.png

shylo3716
11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
43. Washington Xavier Rhodes, Florida State CB

Why would he come out just to be a 2nd Rounder this year, when he can be the #1-2 CB off the board next year?

MI_Buckeye
11-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Why would he come out just to be a 2nd Rounder this year, when he can be the #1-2 CB off the board next year?

Because:

1) There is not that much money any more for the very top prospects thanks to the new CBA.
2) If he is, in reality, a second rounder, then he probably thinks he'll go in the top 20, and
3) Players leave school early all the time when they aren't first round prospects. There are about 60 underclassmen a year in the draft.

MI_Buckeye
11-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Just some insight on the Ravens here :)

Our DL is one of our deeper positions (as well as pass rusher, just in case for your next mock)

Needs are OT C ILB DB (corner mostly) and maybe WR.

In this case I would see us taking Kuechly with the first Maybe Zebrie Sanders or Denard. Even might take a reach on Brewster.

I see where a lack of options in the 2nd might lead to the RB pick (and we do need depth at the position) but I really hope we don't have to use a 2nd to address it, might prefer Nick Toon here

Good feedback.

I have always figured Ozzie and Eric to value draft value and positional value over strict needs. I think they would see Crick as a top 15 guy who slid because of injury. Even if Crick is in the middle of a logjam as a rookie, he'll make the team better as the D line ages.

I think Wilson and his 4.2ish speed would be an ideal complement to Rice. This team still needs gamebreakers, and Wilson could be one.

MI_Buckeye
11-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Niner mock is terrible d line is the deepest spot on the team not a first round need. Corner or Safety are the top needs on the team. The second round is too early for Shea OLB shouldn't be picked in the second unless it's the right one.

Dude, Poe is fantastic value, and your No. 2 NT is 290-pound Ricky Jean-Francois. I can understand how you might want someone like Dennard, but I don't think Harbaugh and Baalke are need-based drafters. Taking one of the remaining safeties over a rare specimen like Poe would just be stupid.

Also, Shea is a prototypical Harbaugh/Fangio player. I think be a chess piece for Fangio, playing multiple positions and providing great value on special teams.

ChicagoBearsVet23
11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Solid Bears picks

MI_Buckeye
11-17-2011, 09:30 PM
The Patriots really don't need to double dip at the OLB position. Mark Barron would be a better choice. This team desperately needs a safety.

One must resist all temptation to make conventional picks when mocking for the Pats. They simply don't draft how most people think they should.

The Pats pass rush has been so dismal, I think Belichick will go to the well as many times as he needs to finally get it right.

OSUGiants17
11-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Luke Kuechly would be a much better round 1 pick. Brown is a OLB which we do not need with Boley, Kiwi, and Williams. Great round 2 pick is great though.

fischbowl
11-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Not addressing OLB for the Bills is a mistake. As is drafting Orson Charles Round 2 when Scott Chandler has been an unheralded threat this year on offense

K Train
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Love chase minnifield, but over xavier rhodes and dennard robinson im not so sure

Menardo75
11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Dude, Poe is fantastic value, and your No. 2 NT is 290-pound Ricky Jean-Francois. I can understand how you might want someone like Dennard, but I don't think Harbaugh and Baalke are need-based drafters. Taking one of the remaining safeties over a rare specimen like Poe would just be stupid.

Also, Shea is a prototypical Harbaugh/Fangio player. I think be a chess piece for Fangio, playing multiple positions and providing great value on special teams.

The Niners have Ian Williams behind both of them whom they really like trust me the depth is fine. Poe would never play. There are a lot better picks tan Shea in the second round I don't see him as a good fit.

Sloopy
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Good feedback.

I have always figured Ozzie and Eric to value draft value and positional value over strict needs. I think they would see Crick as a top 15 guy who slid because of injury. Even if Crick is in the middle of a logjam as a rookie, he'll make the team better as the D line ages.

I think Wilson and his 4.2ish speed would be an ideal complement to Rice. This team still needs gamebreakers, and Wilson could be one.

This is VERY true. I just think that Kuechly falling to them would be an equal value pick at a higher position of need, and Ozzie would get the best of both worlds.

I agree that we need gamebreakers, but right now Rice is our game breaker. I'm not opposed to adding depth at RB as we are paper thin there at the moment, I would just prefer it in later rounds :) Although again if it comes to a situation of BPA Ozzie may be tempted

Iamcanadian
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
1. Indianapolis Andrew Luck, Stanford QB

In the “Suck for Luck” Challenge, Indy is pulling away like Secretariat on the last leg of the Preakness, but it’s not over yet. However, the Colts have basically told the world they will take Andrew Luck if they wind up with the first pick, and it’s just a no-brainer. The only question becomes what they would do with Peyton. Personally, I think there is still great trade value that won’t be there if they wait a year or two. Would a team like, say, San Francisco, sell out for a few years of magic with Manning?

[QUOTE]The pick is correct, however Peyton is untradable. His health alone would make it difficult but even if another team was sure, he could survive for another 2 years, his salary would still make it almost impossible to trade him. The team acquiring him would have to drop 7 players making 5 million each to fit him into their cap #'s. That's probably 5 or 6 solid starters for a player whose health is very questionable. In any case Indy would get very little in return for getting a team to take his salary on.

2. Carolina Matt Kalil, USC OT

It seems unlikely Carolina would end up picking this high, but if it happened, they would be sitting in a position of power. A number of teams picking behind them desperately need a QB, which should lead to some enticing trade offers. Should they keep the pick, they would be able to pick between a number of quality players at key areas of need including WR and CB. However, Kalil is the pick here, not only because he is probably the best player left on the board, but also because RT Jeff Otah was recently listed on the IR for the third time in four years, and LT Jordan Gross is not quite an elite pass protector at this point in his career. Kalil is an undisputed stud will probably actually grade out higher as a prospect than either former No. 1 overall pick Jake Long or perennial all-pro Joe Thomas. As an added bonus, Kalil’s brother Ryan is the starting center for the Panthers and one of the best in the league at that.

Your right, this pick would be traded to a team needing a QB so they could take Barkley. I cannot see Carolina going LT, Gross is good enough.

3. Miami Matt Barkley, USC QB

Come hell or high water, the Phins will be taking a QB in April. It doesn’t matter how well Matt Moore plays down the stretch or even if the Dolphins win enough games to escape the top ten. A new regime is coming in, and that will most certainly mean a change at the game’s most critical position. I have been back and forth on Barkley. I can envision him taking a Clausen-esque fall during the draft process because of his lack of overwhelming physical tools, but ultimately, I think he will solidify himself as the No. 2 QB in the draft because of his football acumen, professional dememanor and personal charm.

I agree but some team may rob them of Barkley by trading up past them with Carolina.

4. St. Louis Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State WR

With Brandon Lloyd in the fold, CB is probably a bigger need than WR, and Morris Claiborne is probably a higher-rated prospect than Blackmon. However, I don’t think Bill Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo will rest easy until they have done everything possible to give Sam Bradford every possible chance to be the elite franchise QB they need him to be. Blackmon has outrageous ball skills and is more explosive after the catch than he is given credit for. A model of consistency, Blackmon has clearly established himself IMO, as the top pass catcher in the draft. In spite of his DUI, I don’t think character and maturity will be issues for him in the draft process.

I agree again. This should be their pick. Give Bradford a real weapon.

5. Minnesota Jonathan Martin, Stanford OT

Martin is a need pick here, but he is not exactly an egregious reach on the level of Levi Brown in 2007. Martin has tremendous feet and has grown technically to the point where he can probably be plugged in from day one on the left side and kick Charlie Johnson inside where he is probably better suited.

Just not sure if Martin will go this high, Claiborne might be the pick to help against Rodgers. Also Martin got exposed a bit against Oregon which could drop him some.

6. Washington Robert Griffin, Baylor QB
Like Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan is very picky when it comes to QBs, so it might not be a total shock if he eschews selecting a franchise QB for the second year in a row and try to goad Jake Plummer out of retirement. However, I do think Shanahan will have his eyes swell when he evaluates RGIII. Griffin seems to have the three tools Shanny desires most in his quarterbacks dripping out his ears. Arm strength: Check. Physical toughness: Check. Athleticism with the ability to throw on the run: Of course. His value is all over the board at this point, but if Griffin were a couple inches taller and a bit meatier he would easily be a top ten prospect, no questions asked.

Jones might be the pick here. Griffin will need a super combine to go this high. Not saying it's impossible but we'll have to wait and see on this one. A trade up with Carolina for Barkley, is also a possibility.

7. Arizona Morris Claiborne, LSU CB

Claiborne is a candidate for a few spots before the Cards go on the clock, so the value is obviously there. Claiborne also fills a need, as the Cards have very little outside of Claiborne’s former teammate Patrick Peterson. Claiborne has established himself as a stud for the No. 1 team in the nation playing the run aggressively and making plays in both man and zone coverage. He has risen his stock from fringe first rounder at the season’s beginning to top ten lock.

I cannot see him surviving this long and they took Peterson last year so this pick isn't likely.

8. Jacksonville Michael Floyd, Notre Dame WR
I really don’t feel great about this pick. I am not a fan of Floyd as a prospect. I think he is a bit of a bully in college, using his superior strength to outphysical DBs in a way that won’t work at the next level. And in spite of his potentially great triangle numbers, I think he is too stiff and could stand to lose some muscle mass. However, the Jags desperately need big WRs, and I think Floyd has overtaken Alshon Jeffery, who has been a slight disappointment this season. Floyd has some big-time character issues, which won’t sit well with Gene Smith, but I think he even realizes now, a year after trading into the top ten to select the QB of the future, this organization has ignored offensive playmakers far too long.

Character issues are bound to drop him quite a bit but the talent is certainly there.

Only a great post season can get Burfict this high but certainly the potential and the need are there.

10. Cleveland Trent Richardson, Alabama RB

Seven years ago, Richardson would have never made it outside the top ten. However, the position he plays is now one of the least-valued in the first round, and Richardson’s draft stock will suffer because of it. A year after his coming out party, Peyton Hillis is quickly wearing out his welcome with bizarre prima donna antics and a severe drop-off in production. All for the better anyways; Hillis never dreamed of being as good as T-Rich. The bigger question for the Browns is whether or not they believe Colt McCoy is the answer at QB. My guess is he will get one more shot next season.

Solid reasoning but Jones might be too much to pass on. Your right, it will all depend on whether or not they want to give McCoy one more year to prove himself.

11. Seattle Landry Jones, Oklahoma QB

Easiest pick of the mock. James Carpenter over Andy Dalton is looking like one of the worst draft decisions in quite a while, and going into an NFL season with Tarvares Jackson as your starter is flat inexcusable. Jones is not quite an elite prospect, but he certainly the physical traits and mental maturity to handle the position. Jones puts up huge numbers in Oklahoma’s offense and has an effortless throwing motion, but he hasn’t exactly been Joe Montana in the clutch, and has been prone to some really, REALLY awful performances.

Still might have to be Griffin if Washington trades up or passes on him and takes Jones for themselves.

12. Kansas City Quinton Coples, North Carolina DE

Coples might not be the stud pass rusher that many were hoping he would be, but he is clearly a very solid all-around player with the strength and length to be an ideal five technique. I like the idea of Coples landing in a multiple-front scheme with a coaching staff willing to play him all over the line. He will be a beast inside on passing downs. If the Chiefs overhaul their defensive structure in the offseason, I think they will be better for it.

I'm a Upshaw lover so I'd take him over Coples but that is just me. OL might also be a target.

13. San Diego Courtney Upshaw, Alabama OLB

Larry English is a bust, and Shaun Phillips isn’t really a primary pass rusher at this point. Upshaw, in contrast, has been absolutely brilliant bringing pressure from the outside in one of the few college defenses that runs a base 3-4. Unlike most 3-4 OLB prospects, Upshaw has proven the ability to excel in the non-pass rushing elements playing the position such as tackling in the open field and dropping into coverage. It may be early, but I really feel Upshaw will be branded with the dreaded “safest player on the board” label.

If he gets this far, San Diego will be laughing all the way to the bank IMO.

14. Tampa Bay Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama CB

Aqib Talib is a menace to society, and Ronde Barber is way on the back end of his career. Kirkpatrick is a feisty gamer who has undergone defensive back boot camp under Nick Saban and is pro-ready. He doesn’t always play with the right technique, but he is long, fluid and athletic and should be able to adapt to the Bucs’ cover 2 scheme.

Solid pick.

15. Denver Devon Still, Penn State DT
I would like to go record right now, and say there is no way the Broncos will be picking this low in April. They have a difficult schedule coming up and Peyton Hillis playing QB. But if this scenario played out, you just know Fox and Elway will be dreading choosing between Still and Ryan Tannehill. In the end, if Denver finishes around 8-8, there is no way the front office will be allowed to give up on Timmy Terrific. And forget about Alshon Jeffery; Denver will simply not build a passing game around an option QB. Instead, Denver upgrades its biggest hole on defense with one of the fastest risers of the 2011 season. Still has been nothing short of terrific in a very uneven season for the Nitany Lions and will probably be the top 3 technique available.

Denver is playing great because of Miller who will bring home between 16-20 sacks. He alone is keeping them in every game and allowing Tebow to look good.
I think they go QB but it is a toss up depending on how strongly they like Tannehill. Fox and Elway know Tebow isn't the answer.

16. Tennessee Manti Te’o, Notre Dame ILB

The Titans go best defensive player available and choose the aggressive, uber-athletic Te’o. The Titans lost Stephen Tulloch this offseason, and lack difference makers in the LB corps. Consider Te’O Rey Maualuga with brains.

I like the pick but realistically, we are getting to an area where the post season will have a lot of say on whose going where.

17. Dallas Billy Winn, Boise State DE

Lots of people are very high on Winn, and I am one of them. I think his best fit would come as a 5 technique in a 3-4 scheme, because he plays with terrific leverage and hands. The Cowboys have been looking to upgrade their defensive front for years, and I think this draft will offer a number of options in the middle of the first round.

Jerry Jones is one of the worst GM's in the league and isn't smart enough to make this solid decision. I look for him to take OL help or a DB.

18. Cleveland* Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina WR

Easy choice here. In spite of the negative run Jeffery has been receiving on this forum, he is still an exceptionally talented pass catcher. Jeffery has been a man amongst boys at times in the SEC. While his work ethic, speed and consistency will come under heavy scrutiny in the draft process, he has phenomenal hands, great size and should profile as a No. 1 in a WCO.

Mark me down as not a Jeffery lover. My over 55 years as a draftnik has taught me that pro scouts and GM's put a lot of faith into past performance of a HC at producing solid pro players at a certain position. Suppier has a poor track record for WR's and based on his being out of shape, possibly very slow and the season he is having, I cannot see him going in round 1.

19. Jets Vinny Curry, Marshall OLB

I think the Jets really wanted to take a pass rusher last year, but didn’t see one worth the No 30 pick. While this year’s crop of pass rushers doesn’t have the best high-end talent, there will be a number of serviceable options wherever the Jets end up picking. Curry has been a baller and a beast for over two years now, putting on big-time performances against Marshall’s toughest opponents. It will be debated whether Curry is a real conversion prospect or if he would be better off keeping his hand in the ground. The combine will be key for Curry.

20. Buffalo Mike Adams, Ohio State OT

While some Bills fans insist the offensive line is not an issue, I really don’t see anybody who I would consider a stud pass protector with elite feet. While Adams has not always played up to his potential in Columbus, he certainly has all the talent in the world and has stepped up his game severely this year. In the end, upside is why Adams gets the nod over Riley Reiff.

21. Cincinnati* David DeCastro, Stanford OG

One of the biggest surprises in the NFL this season, the Bengals still have a few major question marks, one being interior offensive line. DeCastro is one of the most intense and athletic interior linemen to come out recently and will fit perfectly in the Bengals’ run-first offense. Another “safest pick” candidate.

22. Cincinnati Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama CB

Well isn’t this a match made in heaven?! Jenkins not only fills the Bengals’ biggest need, but he also should find comfort in a locker room full of renegades, degenerates and junkies. Seriously, Jenkins was the top senior defensive back coming into this season but multiple drug arrests and dismissal from the University of Florida have caused his stock to take a tumble. Since Oakland doesn’t have a pick the first four rounds, Jenkins better hope Cincy or Dallas shows some interest or he could be in for a serious wait.

23. Giants Zach Brown, North Carolina OLB

Jerry Reese places a high premium on athleticism, and Brown has plenty of it. Good thing is, Brown is also an outstanding football player with solid fundamentals and fills the G-Men’s most glaring hole at weakside linebacker. Brown doesn’t possess the physical intimidation of Burfict or Te’o, but his range is second to none.

24. New England* Peter Konz, Wisconsin C

Like only Maurkice Pouncey in the past ten years, Konz has established himself as a legitimate first round underclassman in the interior O line. He is strong, athletic and smart and just looks like he should be playing in New England. There is a very good chance Konz goes back to school, but he will be a top 50 pick if he comes out. The Pats were at their best when they invested early picks in the trenches, and they might be forced to go back to that well.

Konz is out for the season so it might well cost him round 1. BB also knows that good OC's can be had in round 2 or 3 and I think he has to give serious consideration to his LBing core. Just my thoughts on the matter.

25. New England Whitney Mercilus, Illinois OLB

Mercilus, only a junior, has come on like gangbusters this season and looks like a likely early declaration. Mercilus is a conversion prospect who has the size the Pats typically look for in their pass rushers.

I agree.

26. Houston T.J. McDonald, USC S

Hard to see too many holes on a Texans team that is clearly on the upswing, but I think some reinforcement on the back end would server Houston well. McDonald has immense physical talent and is adept at playing center field as well as filling the box. He is like Taylor Mays with more discipline and fluidity.

27. Chicago Riley Reiff, Iowa OT

Reiff is a steal at No. 27, and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone traded up for him when he starts to fall. Reiff is a solid technician who plays through the whistle. He doesn’t have elite feet, but they’re good enough to play LT. He doesn’t have elite power, but he can play the right side. He is just a solid overall lineman, who will instantly upgrade Chicago’s patchwork unit.

28. Detroit Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State CB

Not the hottest of draft commodities at the moment, Banks is a big-time play maker who makes up for ordinary physical tools with instincts and acitivity. Banks has the ability to play outside the numbers and inside at nickel, where he might be best. If Banks played for LSU or Bama, I think he would be a first round lock.

Detroit, I'm a fan, will be looking to upgrade their OL which is aging or might even look at a RB although I doubt it.

29. Baltimore Jared Crick, Nebraska DE

I know Crick is out for the year with an elbow injury, but I really don’t think it will affect his draft stock as much as people are saying. Anyways, Ozzie Newsome specializes in picking up highly productive colleg players whose stock has dropped for one reason or another, and he generally gets those moves right. Had it not been for the injury, Crick would have been solidly in the first round.

Solid reasoning.

30. San Francisco Dontari Poe, Memphis DT

Poe is 350 pounds and can move a little. That usually gets you a spot in the first couple rounds. Like Phil Taylor, it is actually surprising Poe is so large when you first see him, he carries his weight so well. While I wouldn’t be shocked if Poe ended up going to a 4-3 team, his best fit is as a true nose tackle.

31. Pittsbrugh Chase Minnifield, Virginia CB

The Steelers have been keeping their secondary together with Scotch tape in recent years, having no bona fide cover guys on the edge. I don’t know if Minnifield profiles as a shutdown guy, but he has the bloodlines and technical proficiency that will be attractive to a meat-and-potatoes organization like the Steelers.

32. Green Bay Lamar Miller, Miami RB

While everyone else is busy plugging holes, Green Bay gets the chance to take the best players available. While the Packers might have bigger holes in the secondary, nobody is good enough to justify passing on Miller, easily one of the 20 best players in the draft. Miller is an all-around playmaker who has drawn comparisons to LT. Just when you thought this offense couldn’t get any more explosive.

He could actually go a lot higher. RB has slipped as a priority but the good ones still get drafted pretty high and some team may jump GB in this case.

If I haven't commented it is because I like the pick. For this point in the draft process, this is one of the finest mocks I have ever seen. You have done an incredible job and are spot on in most cases. I'm a real critical person when it comes to mocks since I've been at it so long but you have talent my friend, real talent.
Terrific job!

MI_Buckeye
11-18-2011, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=MI_Buckeye;2752233]

If I haven't commented it is because I like the pick. For this point in the draft process, this is one of the finest mocks I have ever seen. You have done an incredible job and are spot on in most cases. I'm a real critical person when it comes to mocks since I've been at it so long but you have talent my friend, real talent.
Terrific job!

Well thank you very much for the kind words. :)

fenikz
11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Claiborne is the best pick in that scenario, but I'd like us to trade down and grab Reiff or Adams in the mid-late 1st and grab a 2nd or 3rd to make up for the Kolb trade

coordinator0
11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Good feedback.

Solid reasoning on both parts. I actually think that Crick would be a very good pick, but we're having a debate over in the Ravens forum about whether we need a starter at DE or depth :). Taking Crick would have nothing to do with our DL's age though, right now Ngata is the oldest player (not counting Redding who's a free agent after this season) and overall we are very young at DE and DT. I'm not in favor of investing in a RB higher on in the draft with Rice already on the team (and us not using him enough in the first place) but if there's a clear BPA then Ozzie might pull the trigger.

bigbuc
11-18-2011, 04:25 PM
If the Pack took Miller I would just stop watching football.

A Rod

Jennings, Finley, Jones, Cobb and Nelson

Then added Miller

Wow

SimonRath
11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Matt Kalil will not grade out better then Joe Thomas..

Pat Sims 90
11-18-2011, 07:19 PM
DeCastro, Jenkins, Lester is a awesome draft for the Bengals.

thebow305
11-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Great Draft for the Phins, although I would prefer Dwight Jones in the 2nd. That's just my personal preference though.