PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly is going to jail for 6 years.

the new jesus
11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20111117/PKR01/111117086/Jolly-gets-6-years-Texas-prison-violating-probation-drug-charges?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

HOUSTON — Suspended Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly was sentenced Thursday to six years in prison for violating the terms of his probation on a drug charge.

Jolly, 28, has been indefinitely suspended since the 2009 offseason.

Jolly was charged with possession of a compound containing codeine and tampering with evidence after a traffic stop in October. It was his third drug arrest in three years. The arrest violated the terms of probation Jolly received in April as part of a deal that wiped out a previous charge and spared him prison time.

Judge Denise Bradley sent Jolly to prison despite his tearful plea for another chance.

"I want to go to rehab to get help. I don't want to go to prison. I lost everything I've gained. I just want peace back in my life," he said, according to Houston TV station KTRK.

Jolly's mother, Phyllis, screamed after her son was sentenced, according to KTRK.

Jolly had been facing two to 20 years in prison. He received credit for time served and may be eligible for parole in 18 months.

Jolly started all 32 games for the Packers from 2008 to 2009 after the team selected him in the sixth round of the 2006 draft out of Texas A&M.

His absence put a strain on the Packers’ defensive line that the team continues to try to plug. He had 82 tackles in 2008 and 75 in 2009. His availability in 2010 would have given the Packers a rotation of Jolly, Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins and Mike Neal as the top four ends. Neal hasn’t played a game in 2011 because of a knee injury and the Packers have struggled to get a consistent pass rush out of Jarius Wynn, and C.J. Wilson.

Pretty sad the way his life spiraled downwards.

MetSox17
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I was actually gonna post a thread about this but didn't for obvious reasons.

Razor
11-17-2011, 02:03 PM
This is really sad, I feel for him. I don't believe in putting a man like that in jail, he obviously has some mental problem/addiction. Going to jail won't make that go away. When he first got caught he was suspended by the league, and this made him go into a depression. I normally agree with Goodell, but in this case I feel like it's on Goodell that Jolly is going to jail. It's like Rodgers said: the league took away Jolly's safety net and pushed him into more abuse. It's really sad...

Abaddon
11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Detoxing in prison isn't the best option for a guy in his condition, but he will detox. If he gets out in 18 months, he should be able to catch on somewhere. ala Vick/Burress.

BloodBrother
11-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Jolly even admitted that being away from the team/football was like losing a loved one, which made his addiction worse. The NFL needs to find a way to help/reach out to players like this instead of quarantining them away from football and away from their team/friends. Unfortunately, while his story is sad, you can only have so many chances. He was arrested 3 times for the same thing. His story on Outside the Lines showed that he was at least addressing his issue and was going to counseling for it.

jackalope
11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the entire OTL story. Certainly disappointing, as he was a pretty good player. That said, here's what Greg Bedard (current Patriots beat writer formerly a Packers beat writer) tweeted.

You can think what you want, but Johnny Jolly is full of crap. And I do not feel sorry for him.

He's no addict. You can quit during the season for years in college and the pros but you're an addict? Whatever.

Like [Andrew Brandt] said, Jolly was repeatedly warned not to go back to Houston and about his behavior. He ignored that advice. Repeatedly

He's in tough financial straights? Maybe he shouldn't have bought 12 cars or expensive jewelry or furs, etc

Remember, this was also a person that was accused by the Houston DA of being a drug dealer.

To me, Jolly was a guy who thought he was bulletproof, did what he wanted, and once caught, it sent him off the deep end.

That being said, I'm glad he is finally admitting his faults and getting help - as he stares at prison and end of NFL career.

I respect Rodgers' opinion on Jolly and he may have a point, but it takes 4 failed tests to get 1-year suspension.

Raiderz4Life
11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree with Mr. Bedard

BloodBrother
11-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I hated Bedard, glad he's no longer writing on the Packers...but I do remember reading about them saying they didn't want Jolly going back home to Houston and he ignored their advice.

the new jesus
11-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Bedard is stating the obvious. Of course Jolly COULD quit. This is what people don't understand about addiction. They think of it only in terms of opiate withdrawl and other ridiculousness.

Prowler
11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree with the 12 cars thing, but disagree completely with the law. I don't give a flying three ***** if a person is doing codeine. 6 years for painkillers? That's longer than some rape convictions.

49erNation85
11-17-2011, 03:44 PM
who cares about the packers.

tjsunstein
11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Another Packers related thread?

TimmG6376
11-17-2011, 04:09 PM
This definitely belongs in the team forum. Jolly never did enough for anyone but Packer fans to care.

TitanHope
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
When guys abuse medicinal drugs illegally or deal drugs, they're not the only ones who face consequences. It increases regulation by insurance companies and the government, which makes it harder for patients who legitimately need them to get them.

So yeah, I'm glad he's going to jail. If you really wanted to get help, you should have done it sooner. Not when the choices became rehab or jail. At least then you'll get the mandatory medical treatment you need at a facility for nonviolent offenders.

CC.SD
11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm still not over the fact that this guy is named Johnny Jolly. Ho ho ho!

cvv84
11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm still not over the fact that this guy is named Johnny Jolly. Ho ho ho!

His full name is actually Johnny Jolly, Jr.

J-Mike88
11-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree with Mr. Bedard
As do I after reading that from Bedard.

J-Mike88
11-17-2011, 07:11 PM
I agree with the 12 cars thing, but disagree completely with the law. I don't give a flying three ***** if a person is doing codeine. 6 years for painkillers? That's longer than some rape convictions.
Good point. Even longer than some killings.

wogitalia
11-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Can't believe people try and pass the blame to others on this.

Jolly is the idiot who did the crime, the idiot who did the drugs, the idiot who got caught. Quite simply, Jolly is the idiot who knowing full well what the consequences of his actions were decided to do them anyway. Jolly got exactly what he deserved.

I have no sympathy for idiots and criminals, you bring that upon yourself and should man up and accept that you caused it, don't try and pass the blame or make pathetic excuses.

MI_Buckeye
11-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I hope the judge who sentenced him to prison has the chance to host a rat colony in his/her colon.

Borat
11-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Aaron Rodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TitleTown088
11-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Aaron Rodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You rang?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9zzdztt7k1qztbac.gif

brat316
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
The NFL has a substance abuse program. The first time guys get caught they get put in the program, and no body hears about it. Some turn their lives around others don't and keep on the same path. This is all on Jolly.

BigBanger
11-18-2011, 11:27 PM
who the **** cares?

thegreatone
11-18-2011, 11:44 PM
what a pathetic loser