PDA

View Full Version : Undeserving Pro-Bowlers

JBCX
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
How many times have we seen players voted in as Pro Bowlers when they really haven't deserved it; they either get in on name recognition or on past performance.

Profootballfocus has a really good piece on this:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/17/fighting-the-fan-vote/

They list alot of players who are leading fan voting for the Pro Bowl, and then list reasons why they are not worthy of their popularity.

For example,Maurkice Pouncey is a very average player but for some reason are considered Pro Bowlers by many:

Maurkice Pouncey, C, Pittsburgh Steelers

Positional Rank: 19th overall (C)

Selection Analysis: The man who inspired this list. We here at PFF have always been pretty strong in our conviction that younger Pouncey has never got close to earning the praise afforded him. That continues this year as he somehow leads the race for the Pro Bowl center spot. This is frankly ludicrous, with Maurkice not even being the better Pouncey right now.

Suggested Candidate: Itís not even a contest in our minds given how well Chris Myers has played all year.

Charles Woodson, as well, is mediocre this year but is leading fan voting due to playing on a great team:

Charles Woodson, CB, Green Bay Packers

Positional Rank: 84th overall, 18th coverage (CB)

Selection Analysis: Another one of those picks that makes me want to smack my head into a table ferociously. Woodson doesnít even warrant consideration, with a lack of plays considering how much he rushes the passer, seven penalties and some inconsistent work in coverage. Sure he has five interceptions, but this isnít just a numbers game and Woodson isnít even the best cornerback on his own team.

Suggested Candidate: He had a tough day against the Giants but youíd be wise to look at Carlos Rogers, and, after the way he handled Calvin Johnson, Charles Tillman.

The worst one by far, though, is Desmond Bishop. Bishop is being considered a Pro Bowler ONLY because of Packer homerism, as PFF states. There is simply no reason to include him over far superior players such as Patrick Willis or even his partner Navarro Bowman, or other ILBs such as Sean Lee:

Desmond Bishop, ILB, Green Bay Packers

Positional Rank: 13th overall (ILB)

Selection Analysis: This is a joke right? Youíre not seriously telling me that a group of people would really pick anyone over Patrick Willis? Wow. Thereís homerism, and then thereís HOMERISM. Guess what this is. Bishop has played well, but nowhere near the level of play he put forward in 2010 when I wouldnít have had a problem with this pick.

Suggested Candidate: Right now youíre blinkered if you go for anyone not playing football in San Francisco. NaVorro Bowman has played well, but Patrick Willis is the best linebacker in the league. Period.

the new jesus
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Charles Woodson, as well, is mediocre this year but is leading fan voting due to playing on a great team:

Woodson is not worthy of a Pro Bowl this year, true. But he hasn't been mediocre. He's been good, just not a Pro Bowler. Also, he has been the Packers best CB this year.

The worst one by far, though, is Desmond Bishop. Bishop is being considered a Pro Bowler ONLY because of Packer homerism, as PFF states. There is simply no reason to include him over far superior players such as Patrick Willis or even his partner Navarro Bowman, or other ILBs such as Sean Lee:

Bishop is having an outstanding season and has been the best player on the D outside of Clay Matthews. I haven't seen enough of the 49ers MLBs or Sean Lee to determine who has been better, but Bishop has made a ton of impact plays this year. He is definitely playing at a Pro Bowl level but maybe there are guys out there playing better and hence more deserving. I'm not sure, I haven't been able to analyze all the top guys. Also, Bishop has played FAR better this year than he did last year so I really question the credibility of the author.

All that said, the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and I don't really care who makes it.

AntoinCD
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Every year it seems undeserving players go to the pro bowl. Name recognition goes a long way, especially for fans who simply watch their team and primetime games. Big name players on big teams will always get recognition over smaller market teams. Kyle Williams for example was over looked for a long period of time. Whereas someone like Brandon Merriweather made the pro bowl last year despite being the fourth best safety on a team who didn't exactly have a domintaing secondary.

This year Logan Mankins is a great example. He isn't even close to being the best OG on his own team this year yet will likely get in over Waters.

BloodBrother
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Who gives a sh*t about the pro bowl? Every year you have half the roster being guys who are undeserving it seems. Not to mention you have a handful of guys bow out and alternate's end up getting in anyway. Fan voting will always bring results like this

what year was it when all the AFC pro bowl QB's bowed out and the AFC was left with crap like Garrard, Vince Young and somebody else?

gpngc
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Never call Garrard crap ever again. He reads everything and will find you.

BloodBrother
11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/david-garrard.jpg

he's the pro bowler of fedora wearing

jrdrylie
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Every year it seems undeserving players go to the pro bowl. Name recognition goes a long way, especially for fans who simply watch their team and primetime games. Big name players on big teams will always get recognition over smaller market teams. Kyle Williams for example was over looked for a long period of time. Whereas someone like Brandon Merriweather made the pro bowl last year despite being the fourth best safety on a team who didn't exactly have a domintaing secondary.

This year Logan Mankins is a great example. He isn't even close to being the best OG on his own team this year yet will likely get in over Waters.

Or the year Mankins made the Pro Bowl despite holding out for 10 games. It's not just the NFL. Yao Ming makes the NBA All Star Game despite not playing a single game.

sbh15
11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
this just seems like a sad excuse to reference another pff article. this isn't really news to anyone. of course woodson is going to make the pro bowl. he's on the packers, tied for the league lead in interceptions, and is historically good.

and did they really feel the urge to make this article based on maurkice pouncey leading the voting? since when has the casual fan know **** about offensive line play? especially centers

SuperPacker
11-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Desmond Bishop has been awesome this year and yeah Woodson hasn't been great but i dont see how they have him 84th at his postion! These guys obviously dont know what their talking about.

CC.SD
11-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Jesus christ that fedora is so stupid.

Punisher
11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Desmond Bishop has been awesome this year and yeah Woodson hasn't been great but i dont see how they have him 84th at his postion! These guys obviously dont know what their talking about.

Homerism aside though, would you take Bishop over Bowman or Willis? ***** no!

cvv84
11-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Homerism aside though, would you take Bishop over Bowman or Willis? ***** no!

I'd take him over Bowman. But honestly who the **** really cares? Does anyone even watch the Pro Bowl?

TitanHope
11-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Jesus christ that fedora is so stupid.

I wore a fedora once.

DoughBoy
11-17-2011, 05:45 PM
you're dead to me.

TitanHope
11-17-2011, 05:48 PM
you're dead to me.

http://www.popularvirals.com/images/heart-broken/heart-broken-0974.jpg

jth1331
11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
ITT:
Packer fans show their elite homerism

That said, I do remember the year Garrard went to the Pro Bowl and was basically like the 8th option for AFC QB that year. I mean, Kyle Orton was next in line.

yo123
11-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Can we just round up the writers of PFF and light them on fire already? Woodson is the 84th best CB in the league? Yeah ok.

Brent
11-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Who gives a sh*t about the pro bowl?
a lot of players do because they get bonuses based on earning pro bowl honors.

OSUGiants17
11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
FIND A NEW ******* SOURCE!!!!! If I wanna read PFF all day I'll go there. If I wanna read peoples own original thoughts in an INTELLIGENT argument I'll go to a NFL Forum like this place. Either post your own thoughts using a site as a reference or backup, not the whole post, or get out!
/rant

Now on topic, the Pro Browl and every other fan voted All-Star game is a pure popularity contest/stat competition. Football is not a game that can be judged by stats. The Pro Bowl is stupid and pointless, why do you care who gets in?