PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Running the Colts...

bigbuc
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
And had the first overall pick...

If the Browns called you and offered there Two 1st's and there 2nd and a 3rd in 2013 would you pull trigger and move off of Luck?

diabsoule
11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
After laughing hysterically at the Browns rep that called me I would say no.

D-Unit
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
What kind of....

Like seriously, why are you even entertaining that imaginary idea?

bigbuc
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Just thinking of what the pick would be worth! That's all.

Looked for team that A. Had picks to Trade and B. Needed a QB.

Browns look like the best trading partner.

TheSlinger
11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
And had the first overall pick...

If the Browns called you and offered there Two 1st's and there 2nd and a 3rd in 2013 would you pull trigger and move off of Luck?

I'm very pro-trade as far as the Colts but that is a really terrible offer. That wouldn't even get the #1 pick on a non-Luck year before rookie spending was controlled.

bruschis4all
11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
While I don't think the Colts trade the pick. Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis are free agents. Their roster isn't that great. They don't improve the team for the next 2-3 years by picking Luck. They were very close to missing the playoffs last year. Tennessee fumbled late in the game with nothing to play for on the edge of field goal range. They lose that game and they're 9-7 and out of the playoffs. So, when Manning returns. They aren't returning to the 2009 team that made it to the Super Bowl.

I might be one of the few Patriots fans who enjoy watching Manning play. How can you not? I just feel that if he wants to play another 3-4 years. You go all in. And, try to build the team around him. Trading the pick is the best way to do it. I'm going to be very interested in what Andrew Luck says when he declares for the draft. Or, does he declare for the draft? He can return to Stanford. Or, transfer to any school in the country and play for a year. Under the rule Russel Wilson did to Wisconsin. He does have some leverage.

Razor
11-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Yay, another "What is the Colts draft first overall/trade for Luck" thread. There are almost as many of these as Packers threads...

bigbuc
11-18-2011, 02:51 PM
My view is that you trade the pick for everything you get a reload the roster. When Big Ben had to sit Pitt when 3 and 1 when Brady knee blew out his team went 11-5.

The colts might go 0-16! If you know Manning is going to play for 4 more years I think you build around him. The colts could get around four to five picks in the top 90 players for the first overall pick.

Lets just go over some of the problems the colts have
1. There O line is top 10 worst in the league
2. Smallest D line in the league and can never stop the run.
3. Wayne can't get open anymore and this is the second year in a row that Clark will end up on IR.
4. Maybe top 5 worst RB core
5. Besides Freeney and Mathis there's no octane on O or D.

killxswitch
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Manning is not going to play 3+ more years. He will be 36 next season, hasn't thrown a ball in practice yet, and had 3 neck surgeries in what, 19 months?

If the Colts draft Luck, they'll need to sign Manning to a different contract or cut him and rebuild.

If they do trade him, they'll need to know for sure that Manning can play for a couple more years. They could trade the pick to Miami for some extra picks, get Barkley, and build from the trenches out.

Also, a new front office and coaching staff. Otherwise, none of the picks will matter.

Finstad
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
@BigBuc
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They%27re

bigbuc
11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
@BigBuc
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They%27re

I'm sorry bro... was on my iphone doing this why waiting for a appointment. Didn't know it upset you that much. Thanks tho

Prowler
11-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd keep Luck regardless of any trade offer. I wouldn't even listen.

Sloopy
11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Can we just shut this down? If you want to talk about this go to the thread in the pro football forum where there was already some intelligent conversation being had.

I don't even think that it's dropped off the first page yet... go bump it

Halsey
11-19-2011, 12:02 AM
There's a reason the Browns would want to trade up. No.

FUNBUNCHER
11-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I would. I don't need only Andrew Luck to win football games. Give me Barkley/Jones/whoever and the picks.

The Colts have a major talent deficit and their stars are getting older. Let someone else overpay the Colts for the NFL's next messiah. Just give me a rookie QB with pro bowl upside and a roster filled with young talent.

If I'm still in a position to draft Barkley after making this trade, I'd do it.

bucfan12
11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Without Peyton Manning, we saw how bad the Colts actually are. There defense is atrocious to the point they might need an entire new coaching staff and defense. They don't have even a decent CB, there interior dline isn't very good, and Freeney and Mathis are getting up there in age.

They don;t have a deep nor solid running game, Reggie Wayne is on the downside of his career. Jury is still out on Garcon and Collie.

That said, honestly, I don't know what I would do if I were the Colts GM and offered a blockbuster trade from a team like Cleveland like that. They may or may not have Peyton Manning next year, and if they do, he might not be the same. He's also going to be 36-37 years old. Not much left in the tank.

Honestly, I'd probably take Luck and then go best player available in each round after that.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 01:27 PM
QB is the main position that a team needs. Everything else is complementary. Take the franchise QB while you can. The Colts are like a deflated football right now. They are built to play with a lead. Undersized defense with penetrating dlinemen. Their defense is predicated on the pass rush, which is dependent on getting an early lead. I hate Painter more than any player in the league. He ruined the perfect season against Buffalo, and he's obviously not a real quarterback this year. Add Luck, find a replacement for Saturday, and slowly add to/rebuild the defense.

PossibleCabbage
11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
If I'm the Colts, I listen to all offers for the #1 overall pick, but the one in the first post isn't going to get it done (unless the Browns are picking #2 overall this year, and even then maybe not.)

I bet they can get better offers than 2 1s, a future day 2, and some miscellaneous other picks.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Luck in the first. Brewster in the 2nd. Cornerback in the 3rd. Throw in another defensive pick or maybe a RB if a good one slides to the 4th and they are back on track. They can benefit from a loaded WR and RB draft next year, grab another impact Dlineman or linebacker and be set.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I've watched the Colts since Jack Trudeau and Harbaugh, they are sucking because they are mentally writing themselves off right now. Wayne is pouting and half the defense is injured. If Manning was healthy then they would be a completely different team. They would win 9-11 games this year. Which is another argument for why they should take Luck. Let Manning do his thing next year if he can, and then hand it off to Luck. With that, they'll have this draft and next year's to help rebuild.

jared3
11-19-2011, 02:39 PM
If a NFC team offers the Colts at least 2 first rounders for Peyton, YOU DO IT. Yes, it would suck to see Peyton on another team, but keep in mind he's 36 and his best football years are behind him.

You absolutelyy do not pass up on a potential franchise QB. Even with Luck, the Colts will still be bad. But still the future looks bright.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think Peyton will survive another year. That neck injury and lack of depth or even 3 quality starters concerns me. No matter what he WILL be on the field for opening kickoff of next season. The problem with the Colts is that Saturday must come back because their oline is terrible. Castonzo and Ijalana are obviously going to be leaned on heavily, but they must draft either Konz or Brewster or Ben Jones because the Colts are too much of a thinking team to trust the interior of their line to a late round pick. Hopefully they luck into getting another decent tackle and kick Ijalana inside with a good 2013 draft. WR is not something I'm worried about with Indy's scheme. Their WR problems are due to Wayne and everybody being frustrated by not having Manning under center. Get better QB production and their routes will be crisper and Wayne, Collie, Tamme, Clark, etc all have good hands but just need to stay healthy. The only thing I could see would be adding a speed guy to replace or challenge the inconsistent Garcon, but they have plenty of guys for underneath stuff. As far as the rest of the offense, the RB production is terrible, but with Konz or Brewster at guard for a year before Saturday retires, then drafting a tackle in 2013 and sliding Ijalana inside, the blocking will improve.

Defensively...well its a joke how much better the Colts defense gets in the playoffs every year. Most of it was always Bob Sanders getting healthy for the playoffs, but the Colts are a different machine in the playoffs. Freeney and Mathis can still turn it on, and Bethea is a great safety. Angerer is a good player with one hand. Inject a corner, get Melvin Bullitt off of IR, likewise for Gary Brackett and this unit can compete.

Why aren't they better right now? They aren't exactly laying down on Sundays, but it doesn't look like they believe they can win. Their coach is also absolutely terrible. He couldn't inspire a hooker for a BJ even if he had $20 and a picture of Taylor Lautner with his shirt off. Key injuries to the defense do hurt. Ultimately they are losing because of the psychological damage of not having Manning there to make them all look better. They are spoiled.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Frankly they are playing like a bunch of uninspired sissies. How do you think they would react if they were stuck with "Only Barkley" and not Luck? They have to draft Luck.

Ngatachance92
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Keep the pick, blow the whole organization up and start over.

ncst8fan83
11-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Keep the pick, blow the whole organization up and start over.

Should they do that before or after masturbating?