Sunday, November 20, 2011

http://azcentral.com/i/A/F/1/PHP4B1DB99F671FA.jpg

Arizona Cardinals (3-6)
at
San Francisco 49ers (8-1)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0730/candlestick_580.jpg

Time: 1:05 pm pst

Toss up: This guy

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1109/nfl-players-fined-for-on-field-hits-2011/images/aldon-smith.jpg

or this guy

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/4664926/94753_APTOPIX_Rams_Cardinals_Football.jpg

I'd still go with Peterson, but it's a helluva lot closer than I expected. Those mock drafts that had PP slipping to the Niners were fun though.

I think we're gonna be without this guy:
http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/frank-gore.jpg

Too bad. Frank's had some nice games against the Cardinals.

We'll see a lot of this:
http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Kendall-Hunter.jpg

and this:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/360/601/103541807_display_image.jpg

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see:
http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/chris-culliver-29-2011-nfl-oakland-raiders-xwM4bn.jpg

vs.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Francisco+49ers+v+Arizona+Cardinals+EiUr6uTx1J yl.jpg

He played Calvin Johnson well. Maybe he can do the same with Fitz. We're probably going to need to roll a safety over the top at all times. Please, no safety blitzes Fangio. I beg of you.

If this guy is out there on Fitz, I will brake things:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aBA8ykbrJ4AH/439x.jpg
Hint: Not DeSean Jackson.

Must not lose to this guy:
http://katchop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/john-skeleton-1-copy.jpg

9ers have their sights set on that No. 2 seed. Better not overlook the Cardinals.

Standings: Hey look, ... it's a divisional game! Remember those?

1. San Francisco 49ers (8-1)
2. Arizona Cardinals (3-6)
2. Seattle Seahawks (3-6)
4. St. Louis Rams (2-7)

Special Note:
http://www3.whig.com/whig/blogs/dobservations/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/49ers-Cardinals-Footb_OBr.jpg

Ness
11-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Aldon Smith has been quiet the last two weeks. I expect that to change against the Cardinals. Too bad Spencer has been demoted. He's had success against Fitzgerald in the past.

Also, I wouldn't mind Gore not playing in this game. We should be able to win with a combination of Hunter and Dixon. It would be nice to see Alex play like he did against the Giants in this game too.

Madirishman
11-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Gore will play and start, but if they get out to a lead, I can see hem taking him out to rest, or alternating series with Hunter at the very least. With a short week and a matchup with a very physical team, it will be important that they have Gore on Thanksgiving Day Harbaugh Bowl.

Rabscuttle
11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Should be a nasty hate-filled game. It will be interesting to see the approach to this one. I want to see Hunter get the ball on some of those inside traps. It would be nice to see the kid bust an 80 yarder and doing it to the Cards would make it sweeter.

edgrenade
11-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Hopefully we get out to an early lead so that the starters can get some rest in preparation for the game on Thursday.

Maybe some Kaepernick action???

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Cards Defensive Coordinator isn't too fond of the shift:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/11/18/20111118arizona-cardinals-shift-san-francisco-49ers.html

"It's a cute play," Horton said, "and the league has said it's a cute play also, a legal cute play. So kudos to them for having cute plays in."

Hope Harbaugh runs the "cute play" a couple of times on 3rd and short against him.

49erNation85
11-20-2011, 11:32 AM
People are just jealous of our smarts by our coach and players. Darn haters gonna hate. I can't wait for this game later today. We should blow them out no question. It would be fun to see CK and see how he is learning this year if we get a big lead in the 4th. Just wish it was on dam Fox loves'em seahawks games dam local tv.

Madirishman
11-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Just watched the Bowman-Willis interview on Fox. I'm pumped up for this game, especially since living here, I know some AZ fans. Even if they pulled out a ridiculous win, they really don't have room to talk but I do believe this game could be more competitive than the spread suggests. The Niners should definitely win at home; no excuses.

Ness
11-20-2011, 12:45 PM
It's cloudy here and raining a little. Hopefully it clears up by game time.

Ness
11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Alex Smith really off today with his throws.

Borat
11-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Ughhhhhh. Why must we let these guys stay in the game?

Borat
11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Great catch by Kyle Williams.

Ness
11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Smith missed a wide open Crabtree in the endzone on a go route. Tebow could have made that throw.

Borat
11-20-2011, 04:07 PM
This is embarassing

Ness
11-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Yet another field goal try. Good thing we're facing the Cardinals today. If we played like this against the Giants we'd be down by three touchdowns already. Simply pathetic.

And there goes another blocked field goal.

Ness
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Do the 49ers want to win this game? Maybe they're already looking ahead to the Ravens. We'll get killed in Baltimore playing like this.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Smith missed a wide open Crabtree in the endzone on a go route. Tebow could have made that throw.

Tebow only makes that throw if there is 2 minutes left in the game.

Crabtree should have had 2 TDs so far today. Alex really off his mark today. 49ers are leaving a ton of points on the field.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Bruce Miller has a head injury, return questionable. Remember, Moran Norris is inactive ...

Alex gotta get it going.

Borat
11-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Why the **** did we call timeout before that FG?

Harbs needs to really work on game management. You can't be making stupid mistakes like that.

Menardo75
11-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Ugly with how well they have been playing though they were due for a half like this.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Happy they are finally utilizing Kyle Williams. He should be the 3rd WR over Teddy Ginn.

fenikz
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
this is just a horrible game, i assume you didn't play like this vs the Giants

Ness
11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
No we didn't.

49erNation85
11-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Well at least put up 7 points finally. agreed the ugliest first I've seen all season by SF. I dunno what the deal is though. maybe the rain ? Just hope we get all this worked out before Thursday. We have to play perfect football if we want to win Thursday.

49erNation85
11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice pick from out defense and easy . We need to put seven more points here and put this game away right now!

hawkeye123
11-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Goldson threw 3 punches out there. Probably will be suspended now...

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Yeah don't see him avoiding suspension. Going to be a big loss back there. Don't like Reggie Smith out there covering center field against Torrey Smith this Thursday.

Borat
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Hahaha. Mike Adams.

Ness
11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah don't see him avoiding suspension. Going to be a big loss back there. Don't like Reggie Smith out there covering center field against Torrey Smith this Thursday.

How was Justin Smith suspended last year? Did he start the issue? I don't remember. Or was he even suspended? I remember he was ejected.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2011, 06:04 PM
There have been a few drops but Alex has really been off today. I feel like we weren't prepared very well for this game.

Ness
11-20-2011, 06:12 PM
We better not lose to the Cardinals.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
How was Justin Smith suspended last year? Did he start the issue? I don't remember. Or was he even suspended? I remember he was ejected.

He wasn't suspended but his incident was different as he pushed a referee after a play and was ejected.

Rabscuttle
11-20-2011, 06:29 PM
3 to 1 time of possession and a 16 point win and yet very disappointing with lack of execution and loss of focus in the fourth quarter. This should have been a massacre.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 06:30 PM
There have been a few drops but Alex has really been off today. I feel like we weren't prepared very well for this game.

He settled down in the 2 half. Went for 7/12 for 2 TDs, 96 yards, and 1 INT. But 1st half missed a couple of deep balls that could have been big gains. Easily could have had 300+ and 3 TDs today.

Also congrats everyone, we are guaranteed our first winning season since 2003. Been a long drought.

49erNation85
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes I was not very happy how we played today either guys. Stuff just was't there all game long until late fourth. Even then we could have had done better. I just hope we can fix all this crap before Thursday and bring out A game. Should be a fun game Thursday !!

Ness
11-20-2011, 06:38 PM
First winning season since 2002. What do we have to do now to lock up the division? Not that it really matters. We could lose every game from here on out and still get the 4th seed. That's how awful the rest of the NFC West is. Geez.

Ness
11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Found out. Per Matt Maiocco:

49ers would clinch NFC West next week with win over Ravens AND Seattle loss. Going on 49ers Postgame Live when clock hits zero.

That's a tall order against the Ravens. And I don't have much faith in the Redskins going up to Seattle and beating them.

binary
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
it was raining, not surprised it was a bit sloppy.

49erNation85
11-20-2011, 07:26 PM
it was raining, not surprised it was a bit sloppy.

it was drizzling .It wasn't a storm and I've seen worse. I didn't even notice the rain until late 3rd. Plus it wasn't even the rain fault. Smith was just off all game long.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Las Vegas Hilton has 49ers as 3.5 point underdogs vs Ravens:
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/
Over/under: 39.5

Can't wait for Thursday. Turkey and 49ers football. This will literally be the greatest day of the year.

Ness
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Can't wait for the Ravens.

abaddon41_80
11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
- Around 430 yards
- Forced five turnovers
- 25 first downs
- Almost 45 minute time of possession
- Allowed under 230 yards

Only a 17-point win. That was a sloppy game

Ness
11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Well hopefully the 49ers aren't overconfident going into Baltimore and realize they left a lot of plays on the field. Good thing this wasn't the Saints or Giants.

Ness
11-20-2011, 08:01 PM
By the way, you could tell Harbaugh was trying to get the offense more in tune with passing like they did the previous week. I'm wondering if he's slowly allowing Alex to flex his muscle a tad bit more. This is his third straight game with over 200 yards passing. The chemistry between Crabtree is getting better too.

We really have to improve our percentage on third downs.

Borat
11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Alex's accuracy was **** today.

phlysac
11-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah don't see him avoiding suspension.

Neither Andre Johnson nor Cortland Finnegan were suspended for their fight last season.

phlysac
11-20-2011, 08:42 PM

He was off and the receivers dropped a bunch too. Killed any rhythm.

Borat
11-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Da **** is an Early Douchet anyway.

Brent
11-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm wondering if he's slowly allowing Alex to flex his muscle a tad bit more. This is his third straight game with over 200 yards passing. The chemistry between Crabtree is getting better too.
in Harbaugh we trust?

Ness
11-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Yes. I'd say this game and the Detroit game was his worst in terms of accuracy. I still can't believe he missed Crabtree in the endzone like that. There were other aspects of the offense like Vernon Davis not getting two feet in bounds on a long reception when it looked like he could have and Braylon Edwards dropping a pass although it was a tad high. Still should have caught it though.

Ness
11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
in Harbaugh we trust?

In regards to Alex? I guess so. You can definitely tell he's easing him into more of a passing mode week by week. Or he's at least trying. I got the feeling they used this game to experiment a tad more and trying to come out swinging via the air like they did against the Giants. Unfortunately, it was a mixed bag today. Alex still had decent day. If Harbaugh can get Alex to that Steve McNair or Mark Brunell level, I'll be satisfied.

Brent
11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
In regards to Alex? I guess so. You can definitely tell he's easing him into more of a passing mode week by week. Or he's at least trying. I got the feeling they used this game to experiment a tad more and trying to come out swinging via the air like they did against the Giants. Unfortunately, it was a mixed bag today. Alex still had decent day. If Harbaugh can get Alex to that Steve McNair or Mark Brunell level, I'll be satisfied.
I feel like each week we are seeing more & more of the playbook. While I would love for a game like today's to have been a 49-0 blowout, I won't complain with the results.

Ness
11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
So who gets the game ball? If I had to chose one person I'd say Patrick Willis, but really the entire defense deserves the credit. Still haven't allowed a rushing touchdown or a 100 yard rusher this season. Those streaks could come to an end this Thursday.

hawkeye123
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
So who gets the game ball? If I had to chose one person I'd say Patrick Willis, but really the entire defense deserves the credit. Still haven't allowed a rushing touchdown or a 100 yard rusher this season. Those streaks could come to an end this Thursday.

Pretty unlikely since apparently the Raven's offensive coordinator never wants to run the ball.

Ness
11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Pretty unlikely since apparently the Raven's offensive coordinator never wants to run the ball.

Oh yeah that's true. Looking at his stats, Ray Rice has only gone over the century mark twice this season rushing the ball, and that was barely. I'm actually more scared of him getting in open space especially on screen. For the last few years we've struggled with scat-backs on screens and whatever.

binary
11-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes. I'd say this game and the Detroit game was his worst in terms of accuracy. I still can't believe he missed Crabtree in the endzone like that. There were other aspects of the offense like Vernon Davis not getting two feet in bounds on a long reception when it looked like he could have and Braylon Edwards dropping a pass although it was a tad high. Still should have caught it though.

ya Alex missed a couple but the receivers let him down too, Braylon was terrible and vernon has to do better.

abaddon41_80
11-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Their is a lot of blame to go around for the sloppiness in the passing game. The offensive line didn't protect as well as it has recently, the receivers dropped a few passes and Alex was off a quite a few throws.

Madirishman
11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I feel like each week we are seeing more & more of the playbook. While I would love for a game like today's to have been a 49-0 blowout, I won't complain with the results.

Yeah, Billick (commentating the game) was confused why the Niners continued to run more difficult plays from an execution standpoint, saying they were "getting too cute." Billick obviously didn't realize that Harbaugh knew the game against the Cards was at hand and that the Niners are going to continue to open up the playbook, putting more different plays out there each week, making it harder for teams to gameplan against the Niners based on trends they see. They've done this more and more as the season rolls on, where they have a long run play through a formation and personnel one week; then the next week the same formation and personnel executes a long pass play as Harbaugh and Roman have had someone run a wheel route or leak out on the weak side for a pass instead. They are keeping their opponents guessing, which is slowing them down and giving the Niners an advantage on both sides for the ball, especially on offense. I also see a different player or combination of a couple players featured each week, where there are more plays called for them. Earlier games did this with Delanie, Morgan, and Bruce Miller, then I've seen VD and Crabs more lately. Several plays were to Edwards in the first quarter yesterday but he just wasn't in sinc with Alex, so it was Crabs that had a big day. This type of scheming and the halftime adjustments that are being made will give the Niners a legit chance to win ANY game against ANY opponent this season. They simply have to continue to develop and raise their level of play on offense to put 7's on the board instead of 3s.

dan77733
11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
The one play I was pissed about was Smith's interception in the red zone. He should have just thrown the ball away instead. Other than that, Smith played well.

I wasnt happy with the two blocked FG's and the missed FG. Against a superior team, thats a disaster in the making. I agree with Billick. When they had momentum early, they took Smith out and put Hunter in the shotgun for some stupid wildcat crap. I HATE those stupid gimmick plays. They rarely if ever work and are a recipe for disaster.

I have no problem with Harbaugh opening up the offense and giving Smith more control but I hate those stupid gimmick plays. No reason to get cute or stupid whatsoever. Those are more like desperation type plays and we werent desperate whatsoever.

Overall, im happy. We're 9-1. The Giants lost which gives us a three game lead and the tiebreaker. I'm hoping that the Giants beat the Saints next week so they can have four losses too especially if we lose to the Ravens in Baltimore on Thursday. Either way, we should still finish at least 13-3 barring a huge letdown and I do think that we can win the Ravens and Steelers games. Just have to play smart instead of cute.

Madirishman
11-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I HATE those stupid gimmick plays. They rarely if ever work and are a recipe for disaster.

I have no problem with Harbaugh opening up the offense and giving Smith more control but I hate those stupid gimmick plays. No reason to get cute or stupid whatsoever. Those are more like desperation type plays and we werent desperate whatsoever.

So you didn't like the key 3rd down pass play to ICE a couple weeks ago that helped cap the game?! Or the similar play to Staley earlier in that game? Fans don't like "gimmick" plays when they don't work, but when they do, they're the some of the most memorable ones.

9-1 proves they aren't getting too "cute." They're putting players in positions to make plays; it doesn't always happen or work accordingly. The NFL is not easy.

Menardo75
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
The Niners are starting the throw the ball more because they have to now. Teams have caught on to the gameplan, and this staff isn't going to play Mike Singletary ball (Power O against 9 in the box).