PDA

View Full Version : How far can the 49ers go?

49ersfan_87
11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Right now they sit at a surprising 8-1 record, having faced only 1 NFCW opponent to date and 5 more to go (including 4 games against STL and ARI). Their toughest matchups left are the Ravens and Steelers and they currently have 2 less losses than any serious contenders for the #2 Seed (Saints and Giants). A record of 13-3 is likely, maybe even better. With a 5 game lead and 7 games left to go, and a soft remaining schedule, a playoff appearance and the #2 seed is very likely.

But once they make the playoffs...how far can this team go? They have a stifling run defense and are great in the redzone, but can give up a lot of passing yards. They can run the ball down your throat and pass the ball around when needed (see Giants and Eagles games for passing) but likely won't be able to sustain in a shootout with a team like GB or maybe NO. This is also their first time in the playoffs with a team full of players who have never been. Even the Packers went to the playoffs in 2010 and were one and done before winning the SB next year.

So...how far can they go? One and done, win a game and get bounced out, make the SB and lose, or can they shock the world and win the SB with nobody seeing them coming?

vidae
11-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I think they will win a game or two, maybe make it to the NFC Championship game, but I don't see them beating the Packers.

Bengalsrocket
11-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I think they will win a game or two, maybe make it to the NFC Championship game, but I don't see them beating the Packers.

Agreed. Without the Packers, I think they've got great odds to make it to the SB. But they need a lot of luck against Green Bay on top of some bad match ups like the Saints.

shylo3716
11-19-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.endzonebetting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/super-bowl-trophy.jpg

thegreatone
11-19-2011, 11:21 AM
The Super Bowl.

Breed
11-19-2011, 11:23 AM
9ers should be undefeated, that one loss against Dallas was BS. That Holley scrub shouldn't have been that open Romo had no lungs either..

Ness
11-19-2011, 11:41 AM
If we run into the Saints or Packers I think it will tough to win. I feel good about any other NFC team except maybe Dallas. But great passing offenses will make the 49ers defense crumble I think. Especially when they go five wide or something like that. That changes the entire front seven as Willis and Bowman aren't going to be both on the field most likely and neither is Brooks or Aldon Smith. I don't feel that great about our secondary. If we can get pressure on folks it will help, but regardless a lot of quarterbacks we've tried to do that to this season have still had big games: Vick, Manning, and Romo. Stafford is the closest we've shut down...and we didn't really shut him down.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-19-2011, 11:46 AM
I think it's good that they will have their first game at home. Depends on how they play and the match up. If they win that they go to cold, cold, GB. I remember the playoff game we had to play their in 2007. If the running game doesn't work, then Alex Smith will have to go toe to toe against AR. I think superbowl is possible, but more likely that they can win the first match up. But again it depends who they draw then, AND how hot that team is coming in to SF.

Ness
11-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Winning the first playoff game I think is going to be a lot harder than all the other ones. I'm guessing New Orleans makes the third seed in the NFC and we make the second seed. If that indeed happens I'll be rooting for whoever matches up with New Orleans to handle them.

bigbluedefense
11-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I think they match up very well with the Packers. Which defense does better than any other vs the Packers? The Bears defense.

Why? Bc they have 2 LBs who can completely engulf the middle of the field, and bc the Packers run game is mediocre, they can come out 2 deep and minimize the impact of the outside WRs. Plus they can rush with 4.

The 49ers can do the same thing. Willis and Bowman can patrol the middle of the field, they can play 2 deep to take away the deep pass, their front 7 will flatline the Packers run game, and they can get a good pass rush with minimal guys.

On the opposite side of the ball, the Packers defense is struggling. And the 49ers can run the ball. A heavy dose of running to keep Rodgers off the field, and a defense that matches up well with the Packers offense.

Don't be surprised if the 49ers beat them. Will it happen? I'd probably bet against it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do beat them. They match up well and anyone can be beat.

Heisman
11-19-2011, 12:05 PM
How far can the 49ers go?

I think they can go all the way as long as they buy her a nice dinner first

ViperVisor
11-19-2011, 12:16 PM
8-1 but there is still upside. Not a Super Bowl team so far.

Vernon has no 40+ plays. Had 5 last year.
Braylon Edwards is back but pep in his step isn't. He needs to to contribute the occasional big play.
Crabtree has had 1 TD taken away by a ref, 1 by forgetting he needs 2 feet down, 1 slipped through his grasp last week.

If the passing game can fulfill more of the potential that will take some weight off Gore and the defense will have some space to expect the pass and produce some 3 and outs.

JBCX
11-19-2011, 12:19 PM
They could make it to the Super Bowl. I think home field advantage will be HUGE for them, so they need to ensure that they get the #2 seed and maybe even the #1 seed if the Packers lose a game or two down the stretch.

Playing in Candlestick Park is the great equalizer for alot of high-powered offenses, and plays right into the 49ers' hands because they like to run the football and stop the run on defense. If they have to go into a dome stadium to play someone, they will probably lose, but luckily for them, as long as they at least get the #2 seed, they will be spared any indoor playoff games.

FUNBUNCHER
11-19-2011, 02:23 PM
If the 49ers get behind by 2 or more scores, I think they're finished. They're strong when the score is close, but if they have to throw to get back into the game, I think Alex Smith turns back into Alex Smith.

hawkeye123
11-19-2011, 02:33 PM
If the 49ers get behind by 2 or more scores, I think they're finished. They're strong when the score is close, but if they have to throw to get back into the game, I think Alex Smith turns back into Alex Smith.

I used to think the same thing until Alex Smith led the 9ers back from 21-3 against Philly.

49erNation85
11-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I used to think the same thing until Alex Smith led the 9ers back from 21-3 against Philly.

x2 that showed how well we can come back into the lead if we have too but would rather not though.

I think we can make it into the NFC championship we are a much better team then in the past. Our defense is much stronger so is our offense as well. Should be a fun play off run . first one in years!! I can't wait.

bigbluedefense
11-19-2011, 03:10 PM
The 49ers are almost guaranteed the 2 seed at this point. Which means they just need to win twice to make it to the SB.

It's really not that crazy to believe they can make it there if they win at home (which is not a crazy idea at all) and upset the Packers.

Hell, what if the Packers lose their game? Then the 49ers can potentially host the NFCCG if they take care of business.

Crazier things have happened. They have a talented team, and they play tough.

SuperPacker
11-19-2011, 04:48 PM
They will get stopped by the Packers in the NFC Championship game!