PDA

View Full Version : Devier Posey is Underrated

bengalbuck
11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Posey came out of HS as the #3 ranked WR prospect behind AJ Green and Julio Jones. He's had a good but not great OSU career with somewhat inconsistent hands, some bad QB play, run first game plans and the 10 game suspension this year. However, he's also flashed great speed, play making ability and hands and has made some big plays in big spots.

I think there is a bit of a misconception that he's a character concern which seems to be pushing him down internet draft boards. And I guess taking a few hundred dollars and selling some memorabilia shows bad judgment. However, he also is a guy who would have been a captain at OSU, has an outstanding work ethic and is extremely well liked by his teammates. He's not a guy an NFL team is going to have to worry about as far as off field issues or effort.

I suspect he'll have 3 relatively big games against PSU, Michigan and the bowl game (considering the freshman QB) and will show well both All Star games and at the combine. I could see him ending up in the late 2nd/early 3rd round in April.

Shane P. Hallam
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't disagree that he s underrated. He has the talent for sure, and I think he is better than a midround pick. Late 2nd/early 3rd? That may be pushing it, but he can go early 3rd day I think with a good offseason.

bengalbuck
11-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't disagree that he s underrated. He has the talent for sure, and I think he is better than a midround pick. Late 2nd/early 3rd? That may be pushing it, but he can go early 3rd day I think with a good offseason.

It is a deep WR class, so you may be right. But I think his combination of size, speed, character and pedigree will be attractive to a lot of teams. As a 3 year starter and above average blocker, he'll be more pro ready than a lot of other guys.

Like with a lot of skill position guys, a lot of his value will hinge on his 40 time. If he can go sub 4.5, I don't think top 75 is out of reach.

regoob2
11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Ive always been a big fan of him except for his hands. Very inconsistent at times.

rawdawg
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
The first sentence is a key point. It's one of the things I always come back to when evaluating a prospect that hasn't put up slam dunk numbers in college. But there is no misconception, he definitely has character concerns.

If the biggest concern about Posey is inconsistent hands, then he's definitely underrated. I think hands are way down the list of important attributes for a WR, as every NFL WR (or non-handicapped adult male for that matter) will catch more passes than he will drop by a decent margin. He has shown the ability to concentrate on tipped passes and balls thrown into traffic. The key is the ability to get open. I think he has enough route running ability to find holes in a zone. I think he has enough speed to make plays down the field. My concern is while he was ranked 3rd to AJ and Julio, he doesn't have the ability to go up and get it like Green and he doesn't have the speed or run after the catch ability of Jones. And due to various reasons of his and others doings, he hasn't put up the numbers in college. For that reason, it's hard to rate him too much higher than a mid-3rd rounder.

Sloopy
11-19-2011, 08:23 PM
The first sentence is a key point. It's one of the things I always come back to when evaluating a prospect that hasn't put up slam dunk numbers in college. But there is no misconception, he definitely has character concerns.

How does he definitely have character concerns? He sold memorabilia and got free tattoo's. None of these infractions would be infractions at the next level, so you don't have to worry about him being in trouble with Roger Goodell. It's not like the guy can't keep his nose clean.

keylime_5
11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Posey is like the Mr. Niceguy on the team. He got caught up in Pryor's web of **** and sold memorabilia for tattoos. AJ Green did the something like that at UGA and had a 4 game suspension and there was no character red flags for that likewise. There are no real character concerns with him. I think his character is one of his best traits and it will get coaches and GMs to really like him as a prospect during evaluations.

His biggest drawback is his hands. He admitted to having poor vision and has made some boneheaded drops - especially during his junior season in 2010. He has #1 WR potential though and would have gone in the 2nd round if not for Tattgate or possibly late 1st if he had a big year. I expect him to be a solid 3rd round pick.

rawdawg
11-20-2011, 07:05 AM
How does he definitely have character concerns? He sold memorabilia and got free tattoo's. None of these infractions would be infractions at the next level, so you don't have to worry about him being in trouble with Roger Goodell. It's not like the guy can't keep his nose clean.

That's a pretty bad way to look at it. He knowingly broke rules, didn't do anything against the law, but he broke clear cut rules. He sold merchandise, he took improper benefits, he got free tattoos, and he accepted being overpaid for a summer job. Now, you can argue that most college kids wouldn't complain about a free tat or getting overpaid, but he did all of those things. That shows to me he doesn't have the greatest character. I don't have to wait for him to get a gun charge, DUI, or beat up his girlfriend to make that determination.

Sloopy
11-20-2011, 07:51 AM
That's a pretty bad way to look at it. He knowingly broke rules, didn't do anything against the law, but he broke clear cut rules. He sold merchandise, he took improper benefits, he got free tattoos, and he accepted being overpaid for a summer job. Now, you can argue that most college kids wouldn't complain about a free tat or getting overpaid, but he did all of those things. That shows to me he doesn't have the greatest character. I don't have to wait for him to get a gun charge, DUI, or beat up his girlfriend to make that determination.

Don't put commas in between these like they are all different accounts. He gave memorabilia to a tattoo shop that gave him free tattoo's. If you don't think that NFL players do this, your dumb.

Turns out he won't need an overpaid job if he gets paid to play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.

You are making wild and unfounded conclusions about the guy from these minor violations. I wasn't aware that selling memorabilia is the first warning sign of spousal abuse. Is this like how if I smoke an L now and then I'm gunna eventually get hooked on heroin?

Your making crazy conclusions about a guy and saying that he has poor character because of some minor violations without even knowing what your talking about, If you don't KNOW that he has character concerns DON'T say he does... makes you look foolish

draftguru151
11-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Breaking rules=character concerns. He's not saying he's a child molester, but when you break rules (just because its ok in the NFL doesnt mean he didnt do anything wrong now), you have character concerns.

bucfan12
11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Breaking rules=character concerns. He's not saying he's a child molester, but when you break rules (just because its ok in the NFL doesnt mean he didnt do anything wrong now), you have character concerns.

Seriously, that I don't believe. Some of these guys don't come from wealthy backgrounds. It's not like he robbed a store or bank.

You can judge this as character concerns, but I wouldn't put it out there to the point he's got an issue with the law like some other prospects.

Sloopy
11-20-2011, 09:01 AM

No he clearly stated that he doesn't "have to wait for him to get a gun charge, DUI, or beat up his girlfriend to make that determination." This implies that the issues that occurred somehow make him prone to more serious issues which is frankly ridiculous.

Compared to some of the concerns surrounding players who do get drafted, this is relatively small

rawdawg
11-20-2011, 10:59 AM
No he clearly stated that he doesn't "have to wait for him to get a gun charge, DUI, or beat up his girlfriend to make that determination." This implies that the issues that occurred somehow make him prone to more serious issues which is frankly ridiculous.

Compared to some of the concerns surrounding players who do get drafted, this is relatively small

No it implies that you are putting words in my mouth. Character is about the mental and moral make-up of a person. Illegal or not, Posey did something immoral. He made a couple bad decisions. That does make him prone to make future bad decisions, because he has a well documented history of such. Even if it's not criminal, teams gotta weigh the possibility that he may "decide" to miss meetings. He may "decide" to not have great work ethic. He may "decide" to be a headache when going thru contract negotiations/holdouts. While you may not think it's a big deal, it sent Dez Bryant falling down draft boards despite being one of the most talented players in the 2010 draft.

And honestly, if I was an NFL team, I wouldn't care about the reason he was suspended. My biggest issue would be the fact that he was suspended and missed 10 games that he could have been on the field.

Sloopy
11-20-2011, 11:34 AM
No it implies that you are putting words in my mouth. Character is about the mental and moral make-up of a person. Illegal or not, Posey did something immoral. He made a couple bad decisions. That does make him prone to make future bad decisions, because he has a well documented history of such. Even if it's not criminal, teams gotta weigh the possibility that he may "decide" to miss meetings. He may "decide" to not have great work ethic. He may "decide" to be a headache when going thru contract negotiations/holdouts. While you may not think it's a big deal, it sent Dez Bryant falling down draft boards despite being one of the most talented players in the 2010 draft.

And honestly, if I was an NFL team, I wouldn't care about the reason he was suspended. My biggest issue would be the fact that he was suspended and missed 10 games that he could have been on the field.

No no and no again.

Well documented? Would you be referring to two separate incidents.

In fact, he has a well documented history of NOT and missing meetings HAVING a great work ethic. So don't speak of what you do not know AGAIN.

As far as contract negotiations, players WITHOUT character concerns have contract holdouts all the time.

The guy was set to be a team captain because he set a great example for other players with his character

Dez had a documented history of missing meetings class etc. there was much more behind Dez than the 10 game suspension for lying to NCAA investigators.

iowatreat54
11-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Seriously, that I don't believe. Some of these guys don't come from wealthy backgrounds. It's not like he robbed a store or bank.

You can judge this as character concerns, but I wouldn't put it out there to the point he's got an issue with the law like some other prospects.

I personally don't think it's a major issue what Posier did or think it's a warning sign for him having problems at the next level off the field, but I absolutely hate this argument whenever it's brought up.

Who the **** cares what background the players come from? Are you telling me it's more acceptable for a poor kid to take money from boosters than a rich kid, just because he's poor? It's a rule, you don't break it. It's like saying it's ok for poor people to steal because they need it, but if a well off person does then it's a huge problem.

The same excuse is used when professional blow through all their money. "Oh, they're from a poor background, they don't know how to save their money." I'm sorry, but when you have millions of dollars and you blow it on worthless crap in less than 10 years, I'm not feeling sorry for you.

I don't accept that these rules, however dumb they are, are ok to break since a kid is not used to being offered a bunch of money because he's poor.

rawdawg
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
No no and no again.

Well documented? Would you be referring to two separate incidents.

In fact, he has a well documented history of NOT and missing meetings HAVING a great work ethic. So don't speak of what you do not know AGAIN.

As far as contract negotiations, players WITHOUT character concerns have contract holdouts all the time.

The guy was set to be a team captain because he set a great example for other players with his character

Dez had a documented history of missing meetings class etc. there was much more behind Dez than the 10 game suspension for lying to NCAA investigators.

Ok, lets agree to drop it. You obviously have an agenda here to defend Posey, and have insulted my intelligence on a couple occassions. I agree that Posey isn't a bad person. I even said that my only issue would be 10 missed games and not having that tape on him. My sole point is that DeVier Posey IS a character risk because he has missed games for his college team, we can argue about the extent of that all day but it's not going to get us anywhere. NFL teams have consistently shown they look negatively upon guys who get in trouble in college for whatever reason.

Sloopy
11-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok, lets agree to drop it. You obviously have an agenda here to defend Posey, and have insulted my intelligence on a couple occassions. I agree that Posey isn't a bad person. I even said that my only issue would be 10 missed games and not having that tape on him. My sole point is that DeVier Posey IS a character risk because he has missed games for his college team, we can argue about the extent of that all day but it's not going to get us anywhere. NFL teams have consistently shown they look negatively upon guys who get in trouble in college for whatever reason.

I'll drop it, I don't have an agenda, you could have said I don't like that he missed games for a stupid reason and I'd agree with you. For the most part I think all of them are jackasses for what they did to my team and getting Tressel fired. I just can't agree that he his "character concerns" are all that relevant to draft analysis or that they will lead to bigger or worse things.

now dropped

Rabscuttle
11-20-2011, 12:20 PM
He was one of the players named in the free golf/country club deal as well.

Sloopy
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
He was one of the players named in the free golf/country club deal as well.

This was under one sanction of receiving preferential treatment, $720 from the booster in payment for time not worked and $100 worth of golf fee's