PDA

View Full Version : Matt Kalil, OT, USC

armageddon
11-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Is he better than Long and Thomas as a prospect ? And, who do you compare him to in the NFL ?

thegreatone
11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
No he is not.

keylime_5
11-20-2011, 09:32 PM
not as good as those two but he's definitely worth a top 3 pick. plays a little high at times, can get inconsistent technically and isn't the hulk that Long was/is in the running game. Thomas was a technician with his hands and feet that made him a can't miss left tackle.

armageddon
11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
NFL comparison ?

marshallb
11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Personally, I'd put him equal to Long and behind Thomas as prospects. People like to forget that Long was viewed by more than a few people as a RT.

armageddon
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I want the Rams to take him then move Saffold to RT and Jason Smith to RG

keylime_5
11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Personally, I'd put him equal to Long and behind Thomas as prospects. People like to forget that Long was viewed by more than a few people as a RT.

the thought was that long could play left tackle, but he would be an incredible right tackle and fit there b/c he didn't have the quickest feet for a top LT prospect. But yeah, I could see Kalil being close to Long as a prospect.

marshallb
11-20-2011, 09:51 PM
the thought was that long could play left tackle, but he would be an incredible right tackle and fit there b/c he didn't have the quickest feet for a top LT prospect. But yeah, I could see Kalil being close to Long as a prospect.

A lot of people felt that way, yes, but I know of people who thought that he would have to play RT because of his lack of quick feet. Not saying I agree with that sentiment, because I absolutely disagreed, just saying that he wasn't the elite LT prospect many people like to remember him as, just as everyone tries to do with Peyton Manning despite the fact that plenty of people had Ryan Leaf as a better prospect.

holt_bruce81
11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
I want the Rams to take him then move Saffold to RT and Jason Smith to RG

Do you really want Saffold and Smith learning new positions? Smith has never played Guard in his life.

thegreatone
11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
NFL comparison ?
Michael Roos

armageddon
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Do you really want Saffold and Smith learning new positions? Smith has never played Guard in his life.

Considering they aren't very good at their current ones, yes.

holt_bruce81
11-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Considering they aren't very good at their current ones, yes.

But they are good. You just arent very patient.

Saffold was great last year, he's going through a sophomore slump this year, he's going to be a franchise Left Tackle.

Smith is an above average Right Tackle, he does need to work on his pass blocking skills but he is an absolute monster in the run game.

But yeah they're pathetic, lets make them change positions and draft another left tackle because we don't have sooo many other needs at all.

armageddon
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM

Saffold was great last year, he's going through a sophomore slump this year, he's going to be a franchise Left Tackle.

Smith is an above average Right Tackle, he does need to work on his pass blocking skills but he is an absolute monster in the run game.

But yeah they're pathetic, lets make them change positions and draft another left tackle because we don't have sooo many other needs at all.

The only reason they were ok last year was because they ran a quick passing offense. This year when they are using a 7 step drop for Sam, Saffold is getting abused. He is a below average LT. He would be a decent RT though. Sam is getting killed this year because of the o-line and you want to continue letting him ? Can you say Bulger and Carr ?

ellsy82
11-21-2011, 02:06 AM

I view him as a Bulaga-type guy. A guy who can start at right tackle and move over to left after gaining enough knowledge. Hopefully...

Woody56
11-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Better than Long, not as good as Thomas.

RWills
11-21-2011, 07:59 AM

They should go for Kalil...Saffold was drafted to play RT but had to play LT because of injuries from Jason Smith. This year Saffold has graded out as the 4th worst LT in the NFL. I think leg injuries and concussions have killed Jason Smith's chances to succeed and might do better at OG, he is inconsistent at tackle.

Kalil is a cornerstone where if your a team w/o a LT at that caliber you take him. I think they re-sign Lloyd and look past both Blalock and Floyd

killxswitch
11-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Isn't it funny how teams with legit "franchise" left tackles really suck?

Cleveland
Miami
Denver
Carolina
even NYJ

And when you look at the best teams...

NE - 83 year old Matt Light
Baltimore - 800 lb. Bryant McKinnie
Pittsburgh - committee of suck
Houston - solid-but-unspectacular Duane Brown
GB - old man Clifton and unproven Marshall Newhouse
Detroit - the much maligned Jeff Backus
Chicago - J'Marcus ****ing Webb!
New Orleans - Jermon Bushrod, former backup to former franchise LT Jamaal Brown
San Fran - solid-bu-unspectacular Joe Staley

Is having a franchise LT really that important? Seems like spending big on a LT might be foolish.

Don Vito
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Cleveland
Miami
Denver
Carolina
even NYJ

Is having a franchise LT really that important? Seems like spending big on a LT might be foolish.

This is an interesting point. It's all about who he is protecting, you need to have the QB first. I will exclude Carolina (and Denver they're winning with Tebow) because Newton's a rookie but all the other teams on your list of franchise LT's have dog **** QB's.

Matt Light has never been elite or realy close to it, but he is decent all around and good enough. Same with Clifton, same with Bushrod, and same with Backus. Give me a franchise QB with a decent LT over Joe Thomas and Colt McCoy or Jake Long and Matt Moore any day.

bucfan12
11-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Cleveland
Miami
Denver
Carolina
even NYJ

Yeah it is. McKinnie has been pretty good protecting Flacco.

I bet if you asked Culter, he'd say yes. Watch him when he gets time in the pocket, which is very rare. He's pretty damn good. If only he had that type of protection on a consistant basis instead of making quick throws off his backfoot all the time.e

bam bam
11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah it is. McKinnie has been pretty good protecting Flacco.

Not really. He is serviceable when Grubbs is next to him, but when Grubbs was out and Gurode was at LG it was a revolving door at both spots.

Miaoww
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Gross isn't a franchise LT anymore. Dude has lost it.

K Train
11-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Cleveland
Miami
Denver
Carolina
even NYJ

committee of suck...lmao

bigbuc
11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
It's true... The way the game is played now you don't need a Anthony Muņoz. Does it help yeah, but how many teams do you know that line up 4 and drop 7 almost all the time? Two maybe, the Colts and Vikings. Teams are blitzing from everywhere to get the QB. So having one out of this world LT doesn't help you if the rest of the line is a joke.

RaiderNation
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
A bit off topic, but I'd put Raiders LT Jared Veldheer as a potential elite LT in the NFL. He held Jared Allen to 0 sacks yesterday and has been a beast in pass and run blocking all season. When the Raiders run to the left behind Veldheer, we usually always get positive yards.

But back to Kalil, I still have him as a top 3 prospect and he should go top 5 in the draft. He has unreal talent, size and athleticism and a team will fall in love with him. I say Minnesota, Arizona and St. Louis are all possibly places he could go.

ArkyRamsFan
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
The only reason they were ok last year was because they ran a quick passing offense. This year when they are using a 7 step drop for Sam, Saffold is getting abused. He is a below average LT. He would be a decent RT though. Sam is getting killed this year because of the o-line and you want to continue letting him ? Can you say Bulger and Carr ?

^^^^This!!^^^

princefielder28
11-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Cleveland
Miami
Denver
Carolina
even NYJ

This is an interesting point. It's all about who he is protecting, you need to have the QB first. I will exclude Carolina (and Denver they're winning with Tebow) because Newton's a rookie but all the other teams on your list of franchise LT's have dog **** QB's.

Matt Light has never been elite or realy close to it, but he is decent all around and good enough. Same with Clifton, same with Bushrod, and same with Backus. Give me a franchise QB with a decent LT over Joe Thomas and Colt McCoy or Jake Long and Matt Moore any day.

Is it possibly more vital for success to have a franchise QB and supplement him with a "franchise" center rather than a "franchise" left tackle? Left tackle does protect the quarterback's blind side (assuming he's right handed) but the center needs to have chemistry with the quarterback (understanding his cadance, when to snap it [in shotgun formation]) and the position is responsible for calling line audibles and reading defensive fronts. Isn't that more important to a team's success especially with the type of defenses teams are playing and the different blitzes they're creating than to have that one guy on the edge?

marks01234
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Left Tackle is still the second most important offensive position. Over time having a great one leads to wins, playoffs and super bowl victories. Most of the top NFL teams right now have better LT's than people acknowledge.

I think the world of Kalil as a prospect. Reminds me some of Jake Long as junior and Joe Thomas as a junior. You can throw in Robert Gallery too but I still think he is the safest pick in the top 5. He's young, huge, athletic and strong. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if he goes #1 either. The Colts have been eyeing a LT for years now and if I believe if they think they have a few more Peyton years then they will pass on Luck. Remembers me a lot of the Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario in 2006. Not the prospects but rather the fact that everybody is so focused on only one guy being the #1 overall pick, that they ignore the team going into the draft.

Feel free to bash away.

armageddon
11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Saffold just had season ending pectoral surgery too. The recovery time is 4-6 months. Another reason to take Kalil

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Is it possibly more vital for success to have a franchise QB and supplement him with a "franchise" center rather than a "franchise" left tackle? Left tackle does protect the quarterback's blind side (assuming he's right handed) but the center needs to have chemistry with the quarterback (understanding his cadance, when to snap it [in shotgun formation]) and the position is responsible for calling line audibles and reading defensive fronts. Isn't that more important to a team's success especially with the type of defenses teams are playing and the different blitzes they're creating than to have that one guy on the edge?

I am to lazy but could you do the same analysis with top centers and success of teams

Iamcanadian
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
He is nowhere near the quality of Thomas or Long as a prospect but he is a top 10 prospect who is likely to go top 5 due to the importance of the position.
Thomas and Long were big men, well over 300lbs when they were drafted Kalil is listed at 295 and will have to gain 20-30lbs. at the next level.
After he gains that weight, we will have to see if it affects his overall game.
If he can carry that weight and makes a solid adjustment to pro ball, then he may well move up a notch and become much closer to Thomas and Long.

wogitalia
11-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm very much on the center being the most important lineman and the guards being as important as the tackles are nowadays.

I know the Vikings line has basically stunk since we let Birk go and that a trend of the teams who have solid performing lines tend to have a good-great center and a great QB, the two guys responsible for the reads in this day and age.

In fact, part of the reason that the Bears and Vikings both get such good pass rushes against the Packers is because we take the line play out of the center and put it on the OTs by basically just rushing 4 consistently. We might not be able to do anything else against them but we do get after Rodgers pretty consistently.

killxswitch
11-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Left Tackle is still the second most important offensive position. Over time having a great one leads to wins, playoffs and super bowl victories. Most of the top NFL teams right now have better LT's than people acknowledge.

I think the world of Kalil as a prospect. Reminds me some of Jake Long as junior and Joe Thomas as a junior. You can throw in Robert Gallery too but I still think he is the safest pick in the top 5. He's young, huge, athletic and strong. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if he goes #1 either. The Colts have been eyeing a LT for years now and if I believe if they think they have a few more Peyton years then they will pass on Luck. Remembers me a lot of the Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario in 2006. Not the prospects but rather the fact that everybody is so focused on only one guy being the #1 overall pick, that they ignore the team going into the draft.

Feel free to bash away.

Your viewpoint is common but you did nothing to back it up. You just made a blanket statement that LT is important and having a great one leads to wins and SBs. My point was that common sense is wrong, you don't need an elite LT to be a SB winner. Look at the last few.

Packers - Chad Clifton, good player but not considered elite and not paid like it either.
Saints - Jermon Bushrod. Hardly "franchise". They plugged him in off the bench and decided he was good enough.
08 Steelers - Max Starks, I think?
Giants - David Diehl, solid player with a few great years, not elite and not paid like an elite LT.
Colts - Tarik Glenn was a great LT that I didn't really appreciate til he was gone, but he was never in the Willie Roaf/Jonathan Ogden/Orlando Pace category.
05 Steelers - Max Starks again

How did any of the last 6 SB winners get to the SB because of the play of their left tackle? I could go back farther and talk about the Pats teams, or the Bucs with Roman Oben, etc.

No, you can't have a ****** OL and expect to get anywhere. Your LT has to be competent, and a good one helps. But having a Joe Thomas or Walter Jones hasn't helped any team win a SB in a long time. The last team with a truly elite (highly-paid) LT to win, in large part BECAUSE of him. was the Rams. Yes Ogden was elite but that Ravens team won because of defense, not offense.

Teams with elite, highly-paid LTs don't appear to have the necessary talent at other positions to compete consistently. Seems like in today's NFL, it makes sense to spend at other positions. It only makes sense, strategy is always evolving and trying to create mismatches. So once teams started putting the far-and-away best OLman on the left side, teams started moving their pass rushers around to get a better matchup.

socentre44
11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Teams with elite, highly-paid LTs don't appear to have the necessary talent at other positions to compete consistently. Seems like in today's NFL, it makes sense to spend at other positions. It only makes sense, strategy is always evolving and trying to create mismatches. So once teams started putting the far-and-away best OLman on the left side, teams started moving their pass rushers around to get a better matchup.

This. Defenses are now moving their best rushers up and down the line to get the best match up. Consequently, a QB's ability to move around the pocket, extend the play, and/or escape is much more important than having a franchise LT.

As mentioned earlier, I think having a franchise center is becoming more important than having a franchise LT...especially with all the disruptive DTs in the league like Suh and Ngata.

TACKLE
11-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I've felt that the value of the LT position has been very overrated for a while now. However, I do believe that Kalil is right there in the same class as Thomas and Long (remember, he's still a junior) and is worth a top 3 pick.

CashmoneyDrew
11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a prospect?

BRAVEHEART
11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
He is nowhere near the quality of Thomas or Long as a prospect but he is a top 10 prospect who is likely to go top 5 due to the importance of the position.
Thomas and Long were big men, well over 300lbs when they were drafted Kalil is listed at 295 and will have to gain 20-30lbs. at the next level.
After he gains that weight, we will have to see if it affects his overall game.
If he can carry that weight and makes a solid adjustment to pro ball, then he may well move up a notch and become much closer to Thomas and Long.

Similar to Tyron Smith...right?

Kalil is a better LT prospect than Jake Long was around the same stage.

armageddon
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Is Kalil a future NFL pro bowler ?

Complex
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
No, He is a rich man J'Marcs Webb at best.

DraftSavant
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Is Kalil a future NFL pro bowler ?

Yes, if he gets proper NFL coaching.

The mistakes he makes in college...honestly, it looks like he makes them because he's bored. It's always an effort mistake with him, and he has a few of them every game. Once an NFL coach starts chewing into his ass, he'll be really good.

soybean
12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Ryan Kalil was also said to be undersized for his position coming out. Now he's the highest paid center in the league.

marshallb
12-05-2011, 06:32 PM
No, He is a rich man J'Marcs Webb at best.

http://files.shroomery.org/files/10-005/524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Scott Wright
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
For what it's worth, and it's still early, but right now in my opinion Kalil falls right in between Joe Thomas and Jake Long as a prospect coming out of college.

Complex
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
http://files.shroomery.org/files/10-005/524906464-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Yep wasn't serious

rawdawg
12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
For what it's worth, and it's still early, but right now in my opinion Kalil falls right in between Joe Thomas and Jake Long as a prospect coming out of college.

Nice! On 11/3, I wrote:

I'd put Kalil between Joe Thomas and Jake Long. Not as big as Long, but a better athlete. Joe Thomas is just a freak though, and the best OT prospect in recent history. Can't quite put Kalil there, but he's going to be one of the best from Day 1.

Complex
12-05-2011, 07:00 PM
He reminds me of a white Dbrick that is better at run blocking.

armageddon
12-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Bradford will be happy. Moving Saffold to RT will help too. He is a very good player. Are there any OG's worthy of the #2 pick in rd 2 ? The Rams need to get this thing fixed the right way.

Crazy_Chris
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Ponder will be happy. Moving Charlie Johnson to RG will help too. He is a very good player. Are there any DBs worthy of the #2 pick in rd 2 ? The Vikings need to get this thing fixed the right way.

Fixed that for you, Kalil belongs to us!!!!!!!!!

Babylon
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I do see it as a battle between the Vikings and Rams for the services of Mr. Kalil. Ironcially both teams could use a great corner if they were to go that way. If Jason Smith has something left then i think the Rams could pass on a tackle, not sure if the Vikings could do the same.

armageddon
12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Fixed that for you, Kalil belongs to us!!!!!!!!!

Who will be picking 2nd if we both tie 2-14 ? Who plays the worst schedule ?

armageddon
12-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I do see it as a battle between the Vikings and Rams for the services of Mr. Kalil. Ironcially both teams could use a great corner if they were to go that way. If Jason Smith has something left then i think the Rams could pass on a tackle, not sure if the Vikings could do the same.

The Rams can't go into 2012 with Smith at RT and Saffold at LT. Bradford won't last.

Bald_81
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
The Vikings will have to win one more game because as it stands they'll have an easier SoS and finish ahead of us. I'd rather choose between Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne than just the last two.

SickwithIt1010
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
(remember, he's still a junior) and is worth a top 3 pick.

Redshirt Junior

TACKLE
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Redshirt Junior

Ok cool. He still has another year of eligibility to develop. Jake Long was a RS Senior.

akvikefan89
12-06-2011, 11:30 PM
The Vikings will have to win one more game because as it stands they'll have an easier SoS and finish ahead of us. I'd rather choose between Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne than just the last two.

Noooo!!!!!

I want Kalil. :)

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Ok cool. He still has another year of eligibility to develop. Jake Long was a RS Senior.

Alright man, no reason to get pissy.

TACKLE
12-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Alright man, no reason to get pissy.

I'll be pissy if I want!
:P

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 01:23 AM
I'll be pissy if I want!
:P

Love it man! Gotta have that fire!

Babylon
12-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Not sure what Kalil is waiting for. The draft board recommendation isnt worth the paper it's written on and it's not like SC is playing in a bowl game.

Kalil needs to strike while his stock is up. He could come up with an injury if he comes back and really mess up his financial future. The whole win a title argument works for me but it's a business and he needs to get paid.

Complex
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Waiting Barkley to decide. BTW who is Barkley back up?

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Waiting Barkley to decide. BTW who is Barkley back up?

Cody Kessler will be the next QB at USC.

SolidGold
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Cody Kessler will be the next QB at USC.

Didn't USC get two of the top 3 rated pro style QBs in the 2011 recruiting class?

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Didn't USC get two of the top 3 rated pro style QBs in the 2011 recruiting class?

Yeah but Wittek is too hyped up. Kessler got the number 2 spot in fall camp.

socentre44
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I'll believe it when I see.

Source: OT Matt Kalil "set to return" to USC

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/33752962

PossibleCabbage
12-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I'll believe it when I see.

Source: OT Matt Kalil "set to return" to USC

Would Barkley and Kalil returning to USC for another year to compete for a championship be any more unlikely than when Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy, and Trent Williams returned to Oklahoma to try to win championships? I mean, it didn't work out for the OU guys, but it's not like it hurt their draft status any (#1, #3, and #4 for the three of them.)

Remember, USC's postseason ban is over now.

socentre44
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Would Barkley and Kalil returning to USC for another year to compete for a championship be any more unlikely than when Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy, and Trent Williams returned to Oklahoma to try to win championships? I mean, it didn't work out for the OU guys, but it's not like it hurt their draft status any (#1, #3, and #4 for the three of them.)

Remember, USC's postseason ban is over now.

Nope but kids change their mind a lot and a month is an eternity for someone in their early 20s.

killxswitch
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I've heard conflicting reports. I don't buy it yet.

TACKLE
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
As of 1 hour ago.

http://twitter.com/#!/Mattkalil/status/144863775261081600

FuzzyGopher
12-08-2011, 03:54 PM
With the new CBA the pay is probably better at USC.

jimmylishis
12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
With the new CBA the pay is probably better at USC.

Lol USC is breakin bread

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/15/usc-university-of-southern-california-running-back-marc-tyler-kim-kardashian-trojans-football-video-tmz-on-tv/

Matthew Jones
12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Looks like Kalil's not ready for that NFL pay cut just yet:

TimmG6376
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
All these underclassmen staying in school is going to jack up a lot of people's draft boards.

FuzzyGopher
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks like Kalil's not ready for that NFL pay cut just yet:

That article is 4 days old, since then he has come out and said he hasn't made his mind up yet.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
He said at 9:00PM on December the 8th, that reports of him staying aren't true. He is still weighing his options before making a final decision.

ellsy82
12-13-2011, 12:51 AM
I've heard conflicting reports. I don't buy it yet.

Me either. He'll declare. So will Barkley.

armageddon
12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
He's coming out per Mortenson. Sweet

ShutDwn
12-15-2011, 09:59 PM

The man speaks the truth:

mortreport Chris Mortensen
USC T Matt Kalil has decided to turn pro, per sources. Projected as top-5 pick; premier LT prospect. No word on Barkley. #NFL32 #ESPN #USC

Definitely a smart move.

akvikefan89
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM

Thank you thank you thank you. Now the Vikings just have to not lose that #2 pick...

Babylon
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
That one to me was an obvious one. This should work out well for the Vikings who i think are more in need of a LT than the Rams. St. Louis can add to an abysmal secondary with Claiborne and at least the first 3 picks seem to be set in stone.

SenorGato
12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson 2.0. I like this guy.

soybean
12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling this means Barkley is coming out too.

Babylon
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I have a feeling this means Barkley is coming out too.

To me there was never any doubt about either leaving. As for Barkely, he's pretty much guaranteed to go no later than the Redskins pick.

Bald_81
01-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Is Kalil to the Rams a bigger lock than Luck to the Colts? There's still the option that Indy trades down if they so choose and ride it out with Manning, or maybe even the chance that Luck tells them he wants to start right away and forces their hand. Either way, I think Kalil to St. Louis is probably set in stone, am I right?

Only way we don't take him is if we trade down with a team looking to draft RG3.

armageddon
01-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Is Kalil to the Rams a bigger lock than Luck to the Colts? There's still the option that Indy trades down if they so choose and ride it out with Manning, or maybe even the chance that Luck tells them he wants to start right away and forces their hand. Either way, I think Kalil to St. Louis is probably set in stone, am I right?

Only way we don't take him is if we trade down with a team looking to draft RG3.

I like Kalil, but it seems most Rams fans want a play maker like Blackmon. They don't realize play makers don't make plays when their QB is either on the ground or hurt.

PossibleCabbage
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I like Kalil, but it seems most Rams fans want a play maker like Blackmon. They don't realize play makers don't make plays when their QB is either on the ground or hurt.

Well, the good thing is that fans don't make personnel decisions. If Kalil is the right pick for the Rams (he likely is) then the people who are actually paid to make that decision will figure that out.

Bald_81
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Well, the good thing is that fans don't make personnel decisions. If Kalil is the right pick for the Rams (he likely is) then the people who are actually paid to make that decision will figure that out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

holt_bruce81
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM

And you don't seem to understand that without a playmaker on the outside it doesn't matter who you have at Left Tackle your Quarterback still is going to get killed if no one gets open down field.

PossibleCabbage
01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
And you don't seem to understand that without a playmaker on the outside it doesn't matter who you have at Left Tackle your Quarterback still is going to get killed if no one gets open down field.

Except the Left Tackle you take with the 2nd pick in the first round and the Wide Receiver you take with the 1st pick of the 2nd round helps your team more than the Wide Receiver you take with the 2nd pick and the Left Tackle you take with the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

There will be a good WR for the Rams in the second, no need to reach for Blackmon.

armageddon
01-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Or when your QB holds onto the ball too long.

holt_bruce81
01-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Except the Left Tackle you take with the 2nd pick in the first round and the Wide Receiver you take with the 1st pick of the 2nd round helps your team more than the Wide Receiver you take with the 2nd pick and the Left Tackle you take with the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

There will be a good WR for the Rams in the second, no need to reach for Blackmon.

You can also make an argument that there will be good Right Tackles for the Rams in the 2nd round or later.

I'm not ready to give up on Saffold as a Left Tackle.

PossibleCabbage
01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
You can also make an argument that there will be good Right Tackles for the Rams in the 2nd round or later.

I'm not ready to give up on Saffold as a Left Tackle.

I just think Blackmon is an enormous reach that high. Is Blackmon the best WR in this class? Sure. Is he a sure-fire guy who's as good a prospect of other WRs who have gone in the top five? Absolutely not.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

I agree, this is a very weak draft year and Kalil is one of the few elite prospects in this draft. I'd say it is a done deal unless some team throws all kinds of picks at the Rams for the right to draft RG111.
Kalil at LT, Safford at RT and Smith at LG and you have the makings of one of the top OL's in the NFL.