PDA

View Full Version : The Coaching Change Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

diabsoule
11-21-2011, 04:40 PM
According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, it would require a "miracle turnaround" for Norv Turner to stay on as the Chargers' head coach in 2012.

"It will take a miracle turnaround for Norv Turner to be the coach beyond this year," said Acee on NFL Network's Around the League segment on Monday. The Chargers have dropped five straight games and are in last place in the AFC West. ESPN's Jerry Rice also blamed Turner for the Chargers' 2011 collapse on SportsCenter Monday. "Norv Turner is one of those coaches that just canít you over the hump," Rice said. "I played under this guy." The Chargers appear headed for their second straight playoffs-less season.

J-Mike88
11-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Who would replace Norv?
Bring Marty back.... he just showed he's capable of winning a title.

thegreatone
11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Norv is welcomed to come to Baltimore.

CC.SD
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
He's welcome to go to Baltimore.

btw it's worth noting that for years now Acee is literally how AJ Smith speaks to the media, there has never been a bigger puppet in beat reporter history. There were literally waves of shock in opposing newspapers when Acee criticized the team in an article recently...sad.

vidae
11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
If the Chiefs lose out, which is entirely possibly (Cassel was just put on IR) I could see Haley and the entire coaching staff being let go. I hope to god we don't even interview McDaniels. That would be flat out awful.

Sloopy
11-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Norv is welcomed to come to Baltimore.

Just as an OC :) get CAM OUT OF HERE

thegreatone
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Just as an OC :) get CAM OUT OF HERE
Yep.

Amen to that.

EAST ATL Zone 6
11-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Looks like Norv Turner could be fired as early as next week!

niel89
11-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd love him as a OC for the Ravens but I really wouldn't want him to be my HC.

thegreatone
11-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I'd love him as a OC for the Ravens but I really wouldn't want him to be my HC.
No doubt the guy is a terrible HC.

But hes one of the best offensive play callers in the game.

Hes very much like Wade Phillips. Crappy HC's, but amazing coordinators.

eltwentyone
11-21-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.twitvid.com/A2A5D

lmfaoo Norv Turner Ethered

SickwithIt1010
11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Turner is arguably the best OC in football, but that hasnt really translated into success as a head coach. Like someone said, much like Wade Phillips. Someone will be very lucky to land Turner as an OC.

San Diego Chicken
11-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Cowher would be my dream hire, but it's a long shot. I would settle for Jeff Fisher though. I like Gruden but he's a long shot, and Spanos is too cheap to get him. Billick doesn't excite me. I'd be happy with Mike Zimmer, he's earned a HC opportunity.

In the end though I think Spanos will hire Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints OC). He was a former Chargers assistant too.

Splat
11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
If the Chiefs lose out, which is entirely possibly (Cassel was just put on IR) I could see Haley and the entire coaching staff being let go. I hope to god we don't even interview McDaniels. That would be flat out awful.

I'm not Todd's biggest fan but having half the team go on IR and then being fired is kinda of a raw deal.

Iamcanadian
11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I hear both Turner and their GM Smith could both go.
Caldwell is probably gone.
Del Rios will likely go.
Frazier probably gets one more year.
Sprgnuolo could be in real trouble.
Whisenhunt will likely get another year.
Haley should get another year.
That's about all I can see who are possibilities.

I didn't include Sparano, the Miami HC, because the owner will call the shot there and the team is playing very well with a 2nd string QB.
No way Raheem Morris is fired.

shylo3716
11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Sparano out for Miami, so who is in?

http://619sports.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/jon-gruden-as-chucky.jpg

Da-Phins
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Sparano out for Miami, so who is in?

http://619sports.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/jon-gruden-as-chucky.jpg

Wouldnt mind that at all. Doubt we will be able to get him though unless he falls in love with the other QB's not named Luck.

AntoinCD
11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I think a lot of teams, particularly some of the smaller market teams who could be changing coach(Arizona, Jacksonville etc), may look to college instead of going for a guy like Cowher or Gruden or a highly rated coordinator.

A lot of highly successful NFL cooridnators were recently made head coaches and in general most have failed or struggled.

Josh McDaniels
Wade Phillips
Norv Turner
Ken Wisenhunt
Todd Haley
Leslie Frazier

Just as examples.

If Gene Smith for example has a choice between Jon Gruden or someone from college I think he would be more than likely to opt for college rather than a more highly paid former HC in the NFL.

vidae
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not Todd's biggest fan but having half the team go on IR and then being fired is kinda of a raw deal.

I don't disagree at all, but losing is losing. Pioli is in a weird position here, because if he wanted to he could justify either keeping (We had a ton of injuries, Todd is the right guy for this job etc) or firing (Losing as many games as we did how we did is just not acceptable) Todd at any moment. He could literally go either way and justify it.

bucfan12
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
If Norv Turner is fired, he'd be smart not to coach anywhere next year. He was locked up to an extension back after the 2009 season, so he'll get paid if he sits out.

I think Caldwell and Del Rio are both gone. Shannahan could be under the hotseat as well.

Andy Reid could be fired, along with Steve Spagnola. The Rams regressed after a 7-9 season when they were supposed to contend for teh NFC West.

I think Whisenhunt keeps his job for another year to see if he can develop an offense around Kolb.

I think if the Bucs finish below 7-9, they're going to can Raheem Morris. They've shown no improvement and lack discipline needed on a pretty talented bunch.

I think Pat Shurmur is questionable. In fairness, he had the lockout to deal with, but the Browns were supposed to be improved. The offense just isn't very good.

T-RICH49
11-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't disagree at all, but losing is losing. Pioli is in a weird position here, because if he wanted to he could justify either keeping (We had a ton of injuries, Todd is the right guy for this job etc) or firing (Losing as many games as we did how we did is just not acceptable) Todd at any moment. He could literally go either way and justify it.

IIRC is'nt this Haley's last year on his contract?they could just announce he won't return w/o actually firing him

bucfan12
11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Top coaching candidates:

Rich Basacia Special Teams Coordinator San Diego: His name is starting to surface. He just has the demeanor and motivation to be a head coach in teh league.

Perry Fewell Def. Coordinator New York Giants: Has been very successful with the Giants and has excellent attitude and is a players coach but doesn't lack the discipline either. Comparable to Mike Tomlin in so many ways.

Derek Koeter OFf. Coordinator Jaxsonville Jaguars: Very good play caller and seems likeable by the players. He could be an inhouse replacement for Del RIo.

Xenos
11-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Cowher would be my dream hire, but it's a long shot. I would settle for Jeff Fisher though. I like Gruden but he's a long shot, and Spanos is too cheap to get him. Billick doesn't excite me. I'd be happy with Mike Zimmer, he's earned a HC opportunity.

In the end though I think Spanos will hire Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints OC). He was a former Chargers assistant too.
Keep him as far away from SD as possible. When the guy you are hiring is the same one that is continually being outcoached by the guy you just fired, then maybe it's best to stay away.

bucfan12
11-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I thought Cowher said he isn't interested in coaching in 2012. Makes me wonder if he'll ever get back into it.

SickwithIt1010
11-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Top coaching candidates:

Rich Basacia Special Teams Coordinator San Diego: His name is starting to surface. He just has the demeanor and motivation to be a head coach in teh league.

Perry Fewell Def. Coordinator New York Giants: Has been very successful with the Giants and has excellent attitude and is a players coach but doesn't lack the discipline either. Comparable to Mike Tomlin in so many ways.

Derek Koeter OFf. Coordinator Jaxsonville Jaguars: Very good play caller and seems likeable by the players. He could be an inhouse replacement for Del RIo.

I hope he is a new coach this year because SD's special teams has been pretty bad in recent years.

bucfan12
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I hope he is a new coach this year because SD's special teams has been pretty bad in recent years.

Yeah. Honestly, back in 2009, when Gruden was fired, I was shocked they hired Morris over him, and that's why I think he left Tampa.

I'm glad guys like Mike Mayock and even John Gruden have given him his props of being an excellent coach that can be a head coach in this league some day.

ArkyRamsFan
11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I think a lot of teams, particularly some of the smaller market teams who could be changing coach(Arizona, Jacksonville etc), may look to college instead of going for a guy like Cowher or Gruden or a highly rated coordinator.

A lot of highly successful NFL cooridnators were recently made head coaches and in general most have failed or struggled.

Josh McDaniels
Wade Phillips
Norv Turner
Ken Wisenhunt
Todd Haley
Leslie Frazier

Just as examples.

If Gene Smith for example has a choice between Jon Gruden or someone from college I think he would be more than likely to opt for college rather than a more highly paid former HC in the NFL.

And you can add Steve Spagnuolo to that list, also. In a recent interview he said that he isn't worried about his job, but judging from the fans dressed as empty seats in the Lou he had better start to ramp up his concern level soon.

Also, I highly doubt the Rams win another game this year; don't see how Mr. Spags is going to survive a 2 - 14 season.

SuperPacker
11-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Green Bay - Mike McCarthy - Safe
Detriot - Jim Schwartz - Safe
Chicago - Lovie Smith - Safe
Minnesota - Leslie Frazier - Will be given one more year

Dallas - Jason Garret - Never know but pretty safe
Washington - Mike Shanahan - Will be given one more year
Philadelphia - Andy Reid - Wont get rid of him after over a decade of stability
New York Giants - Tom Coughlin - Not sure, could be sacked cus of losses vs bad teams

New Orleans - Sean Peyton - Safe
Atlanta - Mike Smith - Safe i think
Tampa Bay - Raheem Morris - Dont think so cus of what hes building
Carolina - Ron Rivera - pretty safe just because of cam

San Francisco - Jim harbaugh - Safe
St. Louis - steve spagnolo - probably gone
Arizona - ken wisenhunt - one more year maybe
Seattle - pete carroll - safe

SuperPacker
11-22-2011, 05:10 PM
indianapolis - jim caldwell - gone
Jacksonville - del rio - gone
houston - kubiak - safe
tennessee - munchak - safe

new england - belichick - safe
buffalo - gailey - pretty safe
new york jets - safe
miami - gone

oakland - safe
san diego - gone
kansas city -meh,think he'll stay
denver - safe

pittsburgh - safe
cincinnati - safe
baltimore - safe
cleveland - safe

SuperPacker
11-22-2011, 05:17 PM
So all the coaches that could be fired are as followed:

Leslie Fraizer
Mike Shanahan
Tom Coughlin
Steve Spagnuolo
Ken Whisenhunt
Jim Caldwell
Tony Sparano
Norv Turner
Raheem Morris
Andy Reid
Todd Haley
Mike Shanahan

T-RICH49
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
So all the coaches that could be fired are as followed:

Leslie Fraizer
Mike Shanahan
Tom Coughlin
Steve Spagnuolo
Ken Whisenhunt
Jim Caldwell
Tony Sparano
Norv Turner
Raheem Morris
Andy Reid
Todd Haley
Mike Shanahan

IMO put Haley on the will be fired.we have to win out IMO for him to stay

Matthew Jones
11-22-2011, 09:54 PM
The coaches that I'm projecting will be gone at the end of the year:

Jim Caldwell

Todd Haley

Tony Sparano

Norv Turner

diabsoule
11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
^^^

Agree with ROP. If I were a team like the Dolphins or Chargers I'd look to bring in a proven veteran coach like Jim Fassel or Brian Billick if Bill Cowher isn't interested.

The only coordinator I'd consider hiring is Mike Zimmer, which is who I think the Colts should go after, or Pete Carmichael Jr, whose offensive scheme would fit the Chiefs well if they had a competent QB.

Giantsfan1080
11-23-2011, 06:47 AM
^^^

Agree with ROP. If I were a team like the Dolphins or Chargers I'd look to bring in a proven veteran coach like Jim Fassel or Brian Billick if Bill Cowher isn't interested.

The only coordinator I'd consider hiring is Mike Zimmer, which is who I think the Colts should go after, or Pete Carmichael Jr, whose offensive scheme would fit the Chiefs well if they had a competent QB.

There is a reason Jim Fassel hasn't been offered a head coaching job in the NFL in almost 10 years. Not the time to bring him back now.

Razor
11-23-2011, 07:10 AM
The coaches that I'm projecting will be gone at the end of the year:

Jim Caldwell

Todd Haley

Tony Sparano

Norv Turner

I think you should consider adding Del Rio to that list. Jacksonville has been terrible offensively for most of his tenure there. I don't care that he's just drafted a "franchise" QB. He's not getting the job done on a consistent basis, and without consistency you're not going anywhere.

ArkyRamsFan
11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
There is a reason Jim Fassel hasn't been offered a head coaching job in the NFL in almost 10 years. Not the time to bring him back now.

Could say the same about Brian Billick...never did understand why a guy that won a SB couldn't score a HC gig again.

Hard to fathom...

NY+Giants=NYG
11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Could say the same about Brian Billick...never did understand why a guy that one a SB couldn't score a HC gig again.

Hard to fathom...

He ran our franchise like a country club atmosphere. If you want a team where the players do whatever they want, then by all means that team should hire fasshole! And if your RB has a fumbling issue, don't ask him to solve the problem.

keylime_5
11-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Turner and Sparano are obvious....but I would think it unfair to fire Haley and Caldwell considering their lousy seasons have a lot to do with injuries. Both of those coaches won their divisions last season. Colts win at least ten games with a healthy Manning.

JBCX
11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
What about Andy Reid?

nepg
11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I want Todd Haley to keep his job. Outside of the way they handled the pre-season not working, the only thing wrong with the team from a coaching standpoint is the offensive playbook. The past couple seasons, they've had to do some things and scheme around not having a lot of talent. Now they have a lot of talent, but the playbook hasn't evolved to reflect that.

I cut the coaching staff some slack because they really didn't have that talent until Baldwin showed up 5-6 weeks into the season and they really didn't know what they had until he got on the field. But next year...holy crap. Baldwin, Bowe, Breaston, Moeaki, Charles... They need to put an offensive system in place that can take advantage of their superior talent.

vidae
11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
And they need a QB who can execute the offense. It's too bad we don't have one of those.

T-RICH49
11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I almost feel like getting Orton was Pioli's subtle way of putting Haley on even hotter seat.Pioli obviously feels Orton can help win games.(I disagree but what's done is done) so if they don't show signs of life offensively then Haley is gone

1funguy
11-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Turner and Sparano are obvious....but I would think it unfair to fire Haley and Caldwell considering their lousy seasons have a lot to do with injuries. Both of those coaches won their divisions last season. Colts win at least ten games with a healthy Manning.

Turner being drummed out is NOT an obvious move, at least not as long as the Spanos/AJ Smith regime is in place.

I'm no Norv apologist & have long said that I believe he's far more suited to be an OC than HC but .....

Look at what has happened to the talent pool in SD. No longer can it honestly be stated that this club has one of the most-talented rosters in the NFL. Smith & Co. have allowed players to walk with no compensation, failed miserably on various draft picks, ignored positions of need, ignored drafting players to groom for key positions as the current players aged/declined, traded away picks to over-reach for suspect talent, & in general allowed their few hits on undrafted guys allow their egos to overload their asses.

Sure, Norv may DESERVE to be let go, but it's questionable that he will be & will accomplish little unless there are changes higher up in the FO to go along with it. Frankly, I'd like to see the team sold to someone who is AT LEAST as interested in winning a championship as turning a profit.

Norv is the easy scapegoat & he certainly deserves criticism. But he's not the one who has run this team into the ground. Arrogance & idiocy by the FO has accomplished that feat.

Iamcanadian
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=SuperPacker;2760883]So all the coaches that could be fired are as followed:

Leslie Fraizer - should get one more year
Mike Shanahan - should get one more year
Tom Coughlin - should get one more year unless the Giants collapse again down the stretch
Steve Spagnuolo - gone
Ken Whisenhunt - should get one more year
Jim Caldwell - gone
Tony Sparano - might have saved his job with a strong finish
Norv Turner - gone along with the GM, Smith
Raheem Morris - sasfe
Andy Reid - will get one more year
Todd Haley - should get one more year

Agree with your assessment except maybe Sparano who might have just saved hisa job for another year.

GaMeTiMe
11-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Reid needs to go, 100%. The whole front office should really be turned over, and it would be if Reid goes, he has as much power as most of them. I'm not gonna start listing the reasons this franchise needs to turn over but this was pretty much the all-in year and we're going to finish under .500. The only off-season acquisitions we'll have past this bust of a season are Nnamdi and Babin and they can't play in the same scheme. Babin will probably end up an aging, over-paid 3rd DE behind Cole and Graham in a scheme that doesn't rotate as often sooner than later.

DeSean Jackson is gone and the offense is going to have to completely change and basically run 100% through McCoy, Reid is incapable of doing that.

Vegas15
11-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Wouldnt mind that at all. Doubt we will be able to get him though unless he falls in love with the other QB's not named Luck.
He did consider terell Pryor to be a legit QB...

diabsoule
11-28-2011, 12:11 AM
My absolutes on who will be fired after this year:

Andy Reid
Norv Turner
Tony Sparano (although the team is playing well now)
Steve Spagnuolo

Matthew Jones
11-28-2011, 05:45 AM
My absolutes on who will be fired after this year:

Andy Reid
Norv Turner
Tony Sparano (although the team is playing well now)
Steve Spagnuolo

I'd add Jim Caldwell, Jack Del Rio, and Todd Haley on there as well. Tom Coughlin is a candidate if the Giants miss the playoffs (if they lose tonight against the Saints, they'll be the eighth seed as of now.)

diabsoule
11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd add Jim Caldwell, Jack Del Rio, and Todd Haley on there as well. Tom Coughlin is a candidate if the Giants miss the playoffs (if they lose tonight against the Saints, they'll be the eighth seed as of now.)

I forgot about Jim Caldwell. Guess he's pretty forgettable though.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm far from plugged into the situation, but I think Haley survives.

T-RICH49
11-28-2011, 11:45 PM

I have a hard time seeing Haley survive unless a miracle happens

vidae
11-29-2011, 12:41 AM

Ehhh, honestly I think it's 50/50 right now. I'm not sure we'll win another game this year, and going 4-3 to 4-12 should get any HC fired, but I like Haley so I hope it doesn't happen.

He needs to either call the plays himself or hire someone he can get along with to do it. This rotating OC situation is just ridiculous and needs to stop.

Giantsfan1080
11-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Jack Del Rio fired according to ESPN.

diabsoule
11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
According to Pete Prisco: Del Rio lost his drive, according to sources. Started coming in to office at 9 a.m or so. Team hated it. Coaches hated it.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Job Posting: HC for the NYG. Must be a defensive HC, and be able to be VERY aggressive. Must have prior HCing experience. Must hire a great offensive minded HC, who won't create a system where the WRs need a PHd to run the routes and choice and option routes.

Please send all resumes to John Mara. Thanks!

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Coaches who get canned...

- Norv Tuner SD
- Jim Caldwell IND
- Jack Del Rio JAX (already fired)
- Raheem MOrris TB
- Andy Reid PHI

Guys who I think survive another year:
- Todd Haley KC
- Tony Sparano MIA (they have been playing very well and I think they're a better team with a better QB.)

Replacements:
- Jeff Fisher to Philadelpia
- Perry Fewell to Tampa Bay
- Mike Zimmer to Jaxsonville
- Rob Ryan to San Diego
- Andy Reid to Indianapolis

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 10:20 AM
- Tony Sparano MIA (they have been playing very well and I think they're a better team with a better QB.)

Replacements:

How can Sparano last another year? They tried with all their might to dump him last year for Harbaugh. When that fell through, they begrudgingly kept him. And that was after a 7-9 season. Best case scenario, they go 6-10, which last time I checked, that is worse than 7-9. So they try to fire you, fail, you have an even worse season, and get to keep your job? That does not compute.

I think Zimmer is a terrible hire. Jacksonville needs to hire an offensive minded coach. After 15 years of being a run first, run second, pass only if you have to team, fans are ready for an offensive revival. I'm pulling for Joe Philbin.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Coaches who get canned...

- Norv Tuner SD
- Jim Caldwell IND
- Jack Del Rio JAX (already fired)
- Raheem MOrris TB
- Andy Reid PHI

- Todd Haley KC

Replacements:
- Jeff Fisher to Philadelpia
- Perry Fewell to Tampa Bay
- Rob Ryan to San Diego
- Andy Reid to Indianapolis

I doubt Fewell would get a Hcing job after this season. He is a god awful DC! Tim Lewis got hired and hasn't sniffed a DC job after being with us. I don't think Fewell gets a HCing gig. You think a team will hire him after his defense got bent over with a 577 yard performance!

I feel sorry for a team who hires him.

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
How can Sparano last another year? They tried with all their might to dump him last year for Harbaugh. When that fell through, they begrudgingly kept him. And that was after a 7-9 season. Best case scenario, they go 6-10, which last time I checked, that is worse than 7-9. So they try to fire you, fail, you have an even worse season, and get to keep your job? That does not compute. I think Zimmer is a terrible hire. Jacksonville needs to hire an offensive minded coach. After 15 years of being a run first, run second, pass only if you have to team, fans are ready for an offensive revival. I'm pulling for Joe Philbin.

They gave Sparono an extension last year. Plus, this team has done a nice turnaround to the point, if they continue this play the rest of the year, it'd be hard to fire him.

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 11:02 AM
They gave Sparono an extension last year. Plus, this team has done a nice turnaround to the point, if they continue this play the rest of the year, it'd be hard to fire him.

They went 7-9 last year. They would have to go 4-1 to match that this year. That is not a nice turnaround.

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
They went 7-9 last year. They would have to go 4-1 to match that this year. That is not a nice turnaround.

Yeah, well then they're on the hook for the 3 year extension they gave him after they failed to get Harbaugh. Not gonna be able to pay 2 coaches like that, if they're improving. I think they may give him another year, and grab a QB.

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah, well then they're on the hook for the 3 year extension they gave him after they failed to get Harbaugh. Not gonna be able to pay 2 coaches like that, if they're improving. I think they may give him another year, and grab a QB.

Actually, it's only a two year extension through 2013 for about $3 million a year. That isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
What are all your takes on SD Special Teams Coordinator Rich Bassacia as a head coaching candidate? I've seen guys like Gruden and Mayock praise him and wonder how he hasn't been interviewed for Head Coaching jobs.

Some have speculated why Morris was given the job over him in 2009, resulting in him leaving. I always thought he'd be a head coach someday. He just has the knack for it. Brings discipline, motivator, smart, and relates to the players.

diabsoule
11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
The Colts have fired defensive coordinator Larry Coyer

Da-Phins
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Yeah like thats going to help....

SolidGold
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

They need to fire Caldwell and bring in a competent coaching staff. Caldwell got the job pretty unfair, not sure why the Colts would let Dungy dictate who the coach in waiting would be just like Mora Jr. was picked by Holmgren when he left seattle.

Why would any organization do this?

falloutboy14
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Before Dungy left, Caldwell was getting HC interviews around the league. At that point, they gave Caldwell a new contract basically assuring him he'd be the next head coach. Dungy may have chosen him, but the Colts made sure he didn't have a chance to look elsewhere.

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Before Dungy left, Caldwell was getting HC interviews around the league. At that point, they gave Caldwell a new contract basically assuring him he'd be the next head coach. Dungy may have chosen him, but the Colts made sure he didn't have a chance to look elsewhere.

Was he getting interviews because he was a serious candidate or because teams are required to interview a minority? Because it is very rare that a coach without any coordinating experience gets an NFL job.

TimmG6376
11-29-2011, 12:48 PM
They need to fire Caldwell and bring in a competent coaching staff. Caldwell got the job pretty unfair, not sure why the Colts would let Dungy dictate who the coach in waiting would be just like Mora Jr. was picked by Holmgren when he left seattle.

From the Colts perspective they were a successful franchise with a HOF QB running a system catered to him. The guy taking over for Dungy had to be willing to maintain the status quo. Most guys looking for a HC job from outside would have wanted to bring in their own philosophy and do it their way. I can completely understand why the Colts would promote from within.

The Seahawks are a whole different story. Coming off of a 4-12 season, you would think you'd be looking for someone to change things up.

JBCX
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
When is Andy Reid going to be fired?

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Was he getting interviews because he was a serious candidate or because teams are required to interview a minority? Because it is very rare that a coach without any coordinating experience gets an NFL job.

My guess is it's a mix of the two, but after talking with him I doubt any team was seriously interested.

diabsoule
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Rams HC Steve Spagnuolo's job security: "I do believe it's going to be tough for Spags to keep his job."

asdf1223
11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
From the Colts perspective they were a successful franchise with a HOF QB running a system catered to him. The guy taking over for Dungy had to be willing to maintain the status quo. Most guys looking for a HC job from outside would have wanted to bring in their own philosophy and do it their way. I can completely understand why the Colts would promote from within.

The Seahawks are a whole different story. Coming off of a 4-12 season, you would think you'd be looking for someone to change things up.

Mike Holmgren didn't pick Jim Mora. Tim Ruskell the GM did. Holmgren suggested throughout his last year that he didn't like the whole coach in waiting idea.

Brodeur
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Rooney rule interview.

soybean
11-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Yeah like thats going to help....

definitely a scapegoat move to appease the fans.

in related news, curtis painter is officially benched as well.

SickwithIt1010
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
When is Andy Reid going to be fired?

If he gets fired it wont be until after the season. He has been too good for too long to can him right now.

Brodeur
11-29-2011, 06:27 PM
If he gets fired it wont be until after the season. He has been too good for too long to can him right now.

http://chicagotough.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/loviechallenge2.jpg

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 06:38 PM
John Clayton just tweeted that Mike Martz could be a candidate for the Jags because Khan used to be a Rams season ticket holder.

No. I'm not making this up.

TACKLE
11-29-2011, 06:49 PM
John Clayton just tweeted that Mike Martz could be a candidate for the Jags because Khan used to be a Rams season ticket holder.

That sounds like a match made in heaven. If there's any player in the league who can thrive in a system that doesn't emphasize protecting the QB, it's The Great Gabbertini!
I'm so sorry if this if this actually happens.

SickwithIt1010
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
http://chicagotough.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/loviechallenge2.jpg

Do you realize where the Eagle's franchise was before Reid came in?

Supposedly Martz is interested in the Arizona State job as well.

diabsoule
11-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Do you realize where the Eagle's franchise was before Reid came in?

Aw, c'mon, Brodie was dying to use that pic of Lovie Smith and jumped at the first opportunity to use it.

Unbiased
11-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Yeah, Clayton's dumb. That makes no sense.

boknows34
11-30-2011, 03:14 AM
As usual, Clayton is throwing darts while blindfolded.

diabsoule
11-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Jaguars interim head coach Mel Tucker has made following changes to coaching staff: Wide receivers coach Johnny Cox was dismissed. Mike Sheppard, who has served as team's QB coach, will take over as WR coach. Off. coord. Dirk Koetter will also serve as QB coach.

Nalej
11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I didn't know an interim coach could let position coaches go

diabsoule
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
This may be just me but I'd love to see Mike Sherman become the Colts OL coach. They need someone that could be there long-term like Howard Mudd was and Sherman could be that guy. He's a great OL coach and could do wonders for that wretched line that lives up the name offensive.

Vegas15
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
I would not be surprised to see Caldwell back next year. Just sayin'

H.O.O.D
12-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I see Spags mentioned quite a bit here, I think he is likely to get one more year. With all the injuries the Rams have dealt with this year, it's no surprise they have done as poorly as they have.

Miami is likely to make the big name hire be it Cowher or Gruden.

SolidGold
12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like Spanos is going to give the ax to both AJ Smith and Turner. This could be a possible destination for Cowher - a Schott coaching tree member and the chargers would be a team w/out a GM - Cowher wants personnel control. Just speculation but could be a situation worth watching.

Matthew Jones
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Steve Spagnuolo's job security isn't looking good. Tony Sparano could earn another year because of his last year's extension if the Dolphins finish with a respectable record. Norv Turner is probably gone. I don't see how the Colts can retain Jim Caldwell if they go 1-15 or 0-16. Todd Haley could get the axe but he's more of a 50-50 proposition. Andy Reid will probably have to be fired for the train wreck that is the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles. Raheem Morris should get another year but could also be fired. Leslie Frazier, Tom Coughlin, and Mike Shanahan are some dark horses.

SolidGold
12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Steve Spagnuolo's job security isn't looking good. Tony Sparano could earn another year because of his last year's extension if the Dolphins finish with a respectable record. Norv Turner is probably gone. I don't see how the Colts can retain Jim Caldwell if they go 1-15 or 0-16. Todd Haley could get the axe but he's more of a 50-50 proposition. Andy Reid will probably have to be fired for the train wreck that is the 2011 Philadelphia Eagles. Raheem Morris should get another year but could also be fired. Leslie Frazier, Tom Coughlin, and Mike Shanahan are some dark horses.

I think all the coaches you listed are legit possibilities. That would be a ton of turnover. I do think Sparano, Caldwell, Norv Turner are all gone for sure. Reid will stay in philly. Frazier and Spags will probably get axed - both of them are more suited as coordinators.

bucfan12
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM

How should he get another year? The team is undisciplined and has made several bad moves when it came to hiring a coaching staff. 2 terrible Offensive Coordinators and fired his first DC, now he's responsible for the 31st ranked overall defense. It;s not just Buc fans, several analysts, scouting agencies have said the talent is there, what is wrong with this team?

Raheem is more of a buddy than a coach to these guys. And it shows.

ArkyRamsFan
12-03-2011, 11:43 PM
I see Spags mentioned quite a bit here, I think he is likely to get one more year. With all the injuries the Rams have dealt with this year, it's no surprise they have done as poorly as they have.

Yeah, that excuse gets tossed around a lot but it doesn't hold water. The Rams had been playing like a bunch of school girls with their panties in a wad way before the injuries started to pile up.

Factor in his horrific game day issues ( lousy clock mgmt, time outs, 2nd half adjustments, etc) and you see a guy that just has not progressed even though he is in his 3rd year as HC.

He also plays each and every game not to lose and, of course, this "philosophy" just produces more losses.

I mean I, like most Rams fans, LIKE Spags but mebbe as a DC not as a HC.

He will be fired as soon as the season ends. Look for him to reappear for some east coast team as their DC.

I wish him the best but he was in over his head as HC...

Giantsfan1080
12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Please don't go there Spags.

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that Andy Reid will have to fire defensive coordinator Juan Castillo in order to stay on as Eagles head coach.
The rumor in Philly is that Steve Spagnuolo will replace Castillo, allowing Reid to hang on for at least one more season. Many Eagles fans want Reid gone, but it would be in the organization's best interests to keep most of the offensive staff because of the monetary commitment to Michael Vick. Castillo has been an utter flop in his transition from O-Line coach to D-Coordinator. He has not showed an ability to maximize his personnel, often playing "man" corners like Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in zone coverage.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Dec 4 - 11:08 AM

Bucs147
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Unless the Glazers play the cheap card, Raheem is gone after this season. There's no excuse to be blow out at home by a 3-8 team. He has simply lost his team. From Pewter Report:

"Go home," Morris said to Price. "Get out of here."

Morris said that Price was playing selfish football and he won't tolerate it. Morris said that his players aren't listening to him right now.

Way to single out a second year player who is playing pretty well and who worked his ass off to be ready to play this season after a terrible injury. The whole team has discipline problems for the past three years and he has done nothing to fix it. Aqib Talib gets a personnal foul versus the Bears on 4th and goal when the game is on the line ? No problem for Rah. Brian Price gets a personnal foul in a blowout ? He got sent home. Stupid double standards.

Dude, you lost your players. Get out.

Go_Eagles77
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Hey, he was ours first! I actually remember going to the giants section and convincing you guys that he would be a great D-Coordinator, and I was pissed he went to you guys.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Hey, he was ours first! I actually remember going to the giants section and convincing you guys that he would be a great D-Coordinator, and I was pissed he went to you guys.

True! But he had more success with us! Come here Spags! Save us from stupid 3 man rushes! Please! : P

JBCX
12-05-2011, 09:05 AM
True! But he had more success with us! Come here Spags! Save us from stupid 3 man rushes! Please! : P

Spags will have more talent to work with in Philly. I think that's why he will choose to go back there.

DraftSavant
12-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Schefter reporting that Mike Mularkey and Mike Sherman are head coaching candidates in Jacksonville.

I slammed my dick in the oven repeatedly after hearing this, because masochism is less painful than being a Jaguars fan.

SickwithIt1010
12-06-2011, 01:39 AM

I would **** a chicken...I would be the happiest guy on the planet.

Complex
12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Add it all up, and Jeff Fisher figures to get a chance to get back into the league if he wants to. It sure seems like he wants to.

The latest sign: A report from NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora that two teams have already contacted Fisher. The Jaguars figure to be one of the teams. Fisher has been rumored as a candidate there, and they have the only current vacancy.

La Canfora lists the Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, and Rams as teams that have ties to Fisher. It’s hard to imagine the Cowboys or Giants would have already talked to Fisher. -Profootballtalk

49ersfan_87
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I wonder if we'll see more younger HC's being hired, both in terms of age and NFL HC experience (ie college coaches, coordinators, maybe some position coaches) rather than experienced, proven HC's.

Last year, of the 8 HC's hired, 7 of them had no prior NFL HC experience. John Fox was the only one with experience and he's fighting for a playoff spot. Only other new HC that will make the playoffs for sure is Jim Harbaugh, who had college HC experience. Jason Garrett, Hue Jackson and Mike Munchak are competing for playoff births as well.

Looking at this year...i think i liked the quantity of coaching candidates more compared to last year. Last year i really liked Harbaugh, Jackson, and River, and Harbaugh was the slam dunk that i wanted all year long. This year...looking at OC's around the league, i like Jay Gruden, Rob Chudzinski, and maybe Mike Mularkey. DC's, i like Chuck Pagano, Mike Zimmer, Rob Ryan, and Dennis Allen. Experienced NFL HC's wise, i would consider Jeff Fisher. I think we'll see more younger guys getting hired this year, but i also think Fisher will come back and be the big draw. I also wonder if Gruden will come back...his son said last year he wanted to come back in 2012 (to SF or CLE, but both teams have moved on). Still, he could want to come back with a team like say the Chargers...just thinking outloud.

49ersfan_87
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
As for teams that will have HC vacancies outside of the Jaguars, here's my opinion

-Dolphins
-Colts (he can't possibly keep his job after going 0-16)
-Chargers
-Rams
-Bucs
-Giants

-Cardinals, Browns, and Vikings hold off on firing their HC's, but they will probably start to be on the hot seat in 2012.

T-RICH49
12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
any chance Todd Haley had to stay as KC head coach went bye-bye after today

vidae
12-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah I don't expect him to be coaching this team next week.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 12:16 AM
any chance Todd Haley had to stay as KC head coach went bye-bye after today

Haley is as safe as they come. He lost his starting QB, Charles and Berry, so what exactly were you expecting his team to do????

vidae
12-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Haley is as safe as they come. He lost his starting QB, Charles and Berry, so what exactly were you expecting his team to do????

How about be a little competitive? We've lost 5 games by 27 or more. And this injury excuse is such ********. Every team has injuries. Your team is supposed to at least show up.

And he lost Cassel after like two months. Cassel wasn't good before that and our offense wasn't good before that.

We watch KC every week. You catch a game once in a while, if that. We know what we're talking about.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 01:53 AM
How about be a little competitive? We've lost 5 games by 27 or more. And this injury excuse is such ********. Every team has injuries. Your team is supposed to at least show up.

And he lost Cassel after like two months. Cassel wasn't good before that and our offense wasn't good before that.

We watch KC every week. You catch a game once in a while, if that. We know what we're talking about.

Sometimes you can be too close to a situation. Sure, teams definitely suffer injuries all the time in the current NFL, but losing your impact players is a whole different story. The Bears lost their QB and have lost 3 in a row, Indy lost its QB and will probably lose 16 in a row. Did you really think Palko would win any games especially with your star RB lost for the season, along with your all pro Safety.
I really don't think Haley will be fired, they'll give him at least one more year and hope their impact players stay healthy. I could easily see them return to Division champs next season with a little luck. A lost season will only make your draft that much better and probably guarantee another impact player on the roster. It could move you a lot closer to being a championship caliber team.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Perry Fewell! Fire him!

Grizzlegom
12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Haley relieved of duties.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/HALEY-RELIEVED-OF-DUTIES/9f2d029b-c450-48cb-9791-8038582a3270

vidae
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Haley is as safe as they come.

Iamcanadian, you were saying?

A Perfect Score
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Boom goes the dynamite.

TheMatriculator
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Darn, I was going to say that.

Sometimes you just have to trust Chiefs fans to know what they are talking about when it comes to their team.

jrdrylie
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Reports are that the Dolphins are going to fire Sparano and keep GM Ireland.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33835419

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

I didn't realize that he and Pioli weren't on the same page. If I knew Pioli wanted to replace him and bring in a NE type, I wouldn't have based it on simple football matters.
You'll likely get Josh McDaniels now and I hope that works out for you especially since it totally secures Cassel as your starting QB.

vidae
12-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I didn't realize that he and Pioli weren't on the same page. If I knew Pioli wanted to replace him and bring in a NE type, I wouldn't have based it on simple football matters.
You'll likely get Josh McDaniels now and I hope that works out for you especially since it totally secures Cassel as your starting QB.

Based on.. what exactly? That they worked together previously? You're reaching here, but enjoy it!

J-Mike88
12-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Sparano and Haley being fired got their own thread even though this one is right here?

Who's next, Norv?
Or would Frazier or Raheem Morris be considered?
TB & KC had similar success last year. KC lost their great RB, S, and then their QB, along with a good TE.

TB doesn't have that many excuses. What gives?

vidae
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't expect Morris to finish the season personally, but..

T-RICH49
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Do you hate us or something?

vidae
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Do you hate us or something?

He's trolling for no reason. Last night he said that he was "sure" Haley would not be fired, and today he was. He doesn't know what he's talking about.. I'd just ignore him.

Bucs147
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
The problem with firing Raheem Morris before the end of the season is that the coaching staff is so poor that there is no one who could step up and take the interim job. There's no DC. The OC, Greg Olson, might be the most clueless moronic piece of ***** I have ever seen. None of the positionnal coaches are impressive, except maybe for the DL coach, Keith Millard.

So Morris stay for the last three games and then that lackluster coaching staff better be fired.

vidae
12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't even really remember Morris as a coach/coordinator before he became the HC there in Tampa. How was he as a DB coach/DC?

Bucs147
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't even really remember Morris as a coach/coordinator before he became the HC there in Tampa. How was he as a DB coach/DC?

He was great as a DB coach. The team had absolutly no DLine and the D was still top 10 in the league mostly because of the secondary (altough Monte Kiffin being such a great playcaller certainly helped). Even last year, it seems we could plug any JAG in that secondary (guys like Corey Lynch, Sean Jones or EJ Biggers) and we weren't losing any beat. The only DB that Raheem couldn't coach was Sabby Piscatelli (as a Bucs fan, I feel really sorry for you Chiefs fans having to suffer this guy's awfulness). This year, though, is totally the contrary. I have no idea what happened but the secondary as been terrible.

Morris has never been a DC in Tampa before he became the HC. He was named as the DC when Kiffin left, but like two weeks later Gruden was fired and Raheem took his place. His only DC experience was a single season in Kansas State in 2006 (where he met Josh Freeman). I heard he was doing okay. That's the guy main problem: He basically had no experience before getting the job. I like him and I really think he has potential as a HC, but he's just young/inexperienced to be a HC right now (and WAY too young to be both the HC and the DC). I hope he has success in his future outside of Tampa; he still has like at least 30 years of coaching ahead of him.

vidae
12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
The only DB that Raheem couldn't coach was Sabby Piscatelli (as a Bucs fan, I feel really sorry for you Chiefs fans having to suffer this guy's awfulness).

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more down on the Chiefs, you remind me that we have Sabby on our team. Wwwhhhhyyyyyy!

Bucs147
12-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Just when I thought I couldn't get any more down on the Chiefs, you remind me that we have Sabby on our team. Wwwhhhhyyyyyy!

Haha, trust me, I feel your pain.

This Sabby talk reminds me of the 2007 draft. We had the #4 pick and wanted to trade up to the Lions' #2 pick to draft Calvin Johnson. Their asking price was the #4 pick + the 2 2nd we had. Gruden decided to not pull the trigger on that trade. We ended up drafting Gaines Adams (R.I.P.), Aarron Sears (had mental issues and quit football after 2 seasons) and Sabby. Worst non-trade ever.

killxswitch
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Jim Caldwell MUST be the next name on this list. Has to be.

SenorGato
12-13-2011, 10:16 AM
So I went and decided that the Chargers would be crazy to NOT go after Brian Schottenheimer. I'm not sure if it's this offseason ornext, but he fits like a glove over there, even as a first time HC.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-16-2011, 04:46 PM
What has Marty Schottenheimer been up too?

EDIT: apparently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers, wtf. Why is he not wanted in the NFL?

SickwithIt1010
12-16-2011, 11:32 PM
What has Marty Schottenheimer been up too?

EDIT: apparently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers, wtf. Why is he not wanted in the NFL?

Because he got ran out after a 14-2 record.

They ****** him, basically.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I love Coughlin, and loved the hire, but time to clean house. Sorry Tom, you hired Fewell, as well as, other lemons like Hufangel, Tim Lewis, and Bill Sheridan. 4 strikes and you're out.

HawkeyeFan
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Spagnuolo probably won't make it through this Off-Season.. at least most Rams fans are hoping so.

Rumor on the streets is Jeff Fisher, the Rams also have direct connections to him. Stan Kroenke has a ton of money and doesn't want to strike out again.

diabsoule
12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I like Spags but he was promoted above his head, so it seems. I'm not sure Fisher would be what St. Louis needs, though. I like Fisher quite a bit but I don't trust him in consistently making the playoffs or getting to the Super Bowl.

HawkeyeFan
12-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I like Spagnuolo in all honesty. He's a great guy and a great person to have for the community. He's just in over his had at this point in time.

Jeff Fisher is probably my top candidate. A proven winner. Something St. Louis needs.

Another RUMOR is that Stan Kroenke is in the process of hiring Dick Vermiel as President. Bill Cowher is a very long shot, and I'm hesitant to bring in another coordinator or college coach.

diabsoule
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Dick Vermeil would be an outstanding front office hire. If the Rams are focused on hiring proven head coaches then they could hire Marty Schottenheimer, Brian Billick, Bill Cowher (doubtful), Jon Gruden (doubtful), Steve Mariucci (doubtful), Tom Coughlin once he's fired.

I don't know who I'd go after w/ the Rams. I'm gonna have to think about that.

HawkeyeFan
12-18-2011, 05:57 PM
My first choice through and through is going to be Jon Gruden. Especially considering he's a fiery guy and has a man crush on Sam Bradford. I think those two with Josh McDaniels as Offensive Coordinator would be outstanding.

Either way, I want to go more Offensive Minded this way through, or at least an aggressive coach. I would, however like to keep Spagnuolo as Defensive Coordinator if he'd be willing. A team of Josh McDaniels and Steve Spagnuolo as OC and DC would be pretty incredible. Add in someone like Jeff Fisher or Jon Gruden, and then it looks a lot better.

49ersfan_87
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Do you guys think that the Chiefs upsetting the Packers has given Crennel the HC job in KC? He's a great DC, that much is known but i could see Pioli trying to get McDaniels as his OC (i think the Rams clean house) and keep Crennel as his DC.

HawkeyeFan
12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Shefter reported that St. Louis is trying to keep McDaniels locked up.

TimmG6376
12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
My first choice through and through is going to be Jon Gruden. Especially considering he's a fiery guy and has a man crush on Sam Bradford. I think those two with Josh McDaniels as Offensive Coordinator would be outstanding.

Either way, I want to go more Offensive Minded this way through, or at least an aggressive coach. I would, however like to keep Spagnuolo as Defensive Coordinator if he'd be willing. A team of Josh McDaniels and Steve Spagnuolo as OC and DC would be pretty incredible. Add in someone like Jeff Fisher or Jon Gruden, and then it looks a lot better.

I think you are living in a dream world if you think Spags will stick around as DC after getting fired.

I don't think Gruden is interested in building a team. In Tampa he inherited a solid team and won a SB with a lot of veterans. After listening to his "analysis" of some young players the last couple of years I have no faith in his talent evaluation skills.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Do you guys think that the Chiefs upsetting the Packers has given Crennel the HC job in KC? He's a great DC, that much is known but i could see Pioli trying to get McDaniels as his OC (i think the Rams clean house) and keep Crennel as his DC.

Crennel is 67 or 68 years old and not likely to be hired as HC. He'll stay as DC with maybe McDaniels as HC. Pioli seems tied to NE and that makes McDaniels a very likely hire or possibly, Mangini.

T-RICH49
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Crennel is 67 or 68 years old and not likely to be hired as HC. He'll stay as DC with maybe McDaniels as HC. Pioli seems tied to NE and that makes McDaniels a very likely hire or possibly, Mangini.

If it's between RAC, McDaniels and Mangini....KEEP RAC.I seriously wanna know why you hate us with these options you give us for HC

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Fisher or Gruden could possibly be the hire but likely both Spags and McDaniels won't be back. The new HC will bring in his own people.
McDaniels probably goes to Kansas City either as HC or OC.

Splat
12-18-2011, 09:00 PM

You say that like RAC isn't from NE...

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
If it's between RAC, McDaniels and Mangini....KEEP RAC.I seriously wanna know why you hate us with these options you give us for HC

I'm just playing the odds, Pioli, who will make the hire is a product of the NE way, he brought in Cassels as your QB and will very likely hire somebody Pioli knows he can get along with, considering the problems he had with Haley, but nothing is written in stone.
Also is the fact that McDaniels trained Cassel into being a starting QB. Maybe he just hires him to be OC but he may well feel that as young as McDaniels is, maybe he wasn't ready for the Bronco's job but is better prepared now.
Only Pioli knows who he wants as HC, anything I suggest, is just thought out possibilities.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
You say that like RAC isn't from NE...

He's 67 or 68 years old and isn't a long term answer for KC, therefore I doubt they hire him as HC. Pioli will want a HC who will be around for at least the next decade.

Splat
12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
He's 67 or 68 years old and isn't a long term answer for KC, therefore I doubt they hire him as HC. Pioli will want a HC who will be around for at least the next decade.

Very few coaches stay with a team that long anymore. He all ready went with the young up and coming HC and it blew up in his face. If McDaniels comes to KC it will be as an OC it's the only way he could sell it to the fans.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
I love Coughlin, and loved the hire, but time to clean house. Sorry Tom, you hired Fewell, as well as, other lemons like Hufangel, Tim Lewis, and Bill Sheridan. 4 strikes and you're out.

I agree, it seems like the team just doesn't play hard all the time for him anymore. They have way too many defensive impact players to be this terrible on defense, there is simply no excuse for it and Coughlin should go.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Very few coaches stay with a team that long anymore. He all ready went with the young up and coming HC and it blew up in his face. If McDaniels comes to KC it will be as an OC it's the only way he could sell it to the fans.

Sorry, just don't see a Crennel hire as HC, the owner hired Pioli to find a strong up and coming HC for his young team, and his experience with Haley, will steer him away from a Fisher or a Gruden IMO and toward somebody he knows he can get along with.

Just my opinion and we'll know soon enough which direction he will take.

You really think they care what fans want. If the new HC wins games and returns to a 10 or 11 win season, the fans will love the guy no matter who they hire.

H.O.O.D
12-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Romeo is 64, and I think he is in the process of auditioning for the gig. The players really like Romeo, and it might prove to be difficult to not award him the job if they the last 2. McDaniels could be his OC, if not KC would be able to find someone whom he and Pioli can agree on.

I may be the only one, but I think ultimately McDaniels won't get the job or serious consideration for it. Things did not run smoothly in Denver during his time there as HC and it may prove too difficult of a sell to the Chiefs fanbase.

TimmG6376
12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
GMs who give the "fanbase" that much power shouldn't be GMs.

If McDaniels doesn't get the job it won't be because Pioli fears backlash from the fanbase.

When McCarthy was hired most Packer fans were lukewarm on the hire at best.

When Tomlin was hired there were plenty of skeptics as well.

Fans like to think they have the power to influence the organization. I just don't think that is true. And if the GM does give in to pressure from the fanbase he won't last long, because it shows he doesn't have conviction in his own decisions and plan for the organization.

H.O.O.D
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM

If McDaniels doesn't get the job it won't be because Pioli fears backlash from the fanbase.

When McCarthy was hired most Packer fans were lukewarm on the hire at best.

When Tomlin was hired there were plenty of skeptics as well.

Fans like to think they have the power to influence the organization. I just don't think that is true. And if the GM does give in to pressure from the fanbase he won't last long, because it shows he doesn't have conviction in his own decisions and plan for the organization.

You can't base your hire solely on what the fanbase wants or doesn't want, but you still have to account for them. Last thing you want is a revolt from the fans, especially season ticket holders.

Chiefs fans know very well about the Denver/McDaniels debacle. It's not the same as the Packers or Steelers fanbase being lukewarm on the McCarthy or Tomlin hires. Both were not HC's prior, nor did they have the issues surrounding them that McDaniels gained during his tenure in Denver.

I think McDaniels may win up in KC but as the OC not HC IMHO.

vidae
12-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't even want McDaniels to coach our offense, haha. Screw that douchey dude.

1funguy
12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
As a Charger fan, I'd LOVE for McDaniels to be KC's next coach. hahahahahahaha

vidae
12-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Why? It doesn't mean you guys are getting anywhere, like each and every single year.

(sorry CC)

1funguy
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Why? It doesn't mean you guys are getting anywhere, like each and every single year.

(sorry CC)

Riiiiiiiight - 'cuz you won the division last year for the 1st time in ages & now you wanna talk ****.

Stick with Cassell too, mmmmkay?

vidae
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
I'd rather be bad and surprise people than be thought of as an elite team and end up crapping my pants every year.

Splat
12-19-2011, 06:07 PM

He might not have to sell it to the fans but he has to sell it to the owner of the team. Clark Hunt is very aware of how Mcdaniels destroyed Denver in a very short amount of time.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-19-2011, 06:08 PM
I think I might be the only one on this forum that has some faith in McDaniels.

Brodeur
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I think I might be the only one on this forum that has some faith in McDaniels.

I definitely have some faith in him, you aren't alone. I think he can be a very good OC if he has some talent, and all he has right now in St. Louis is Steven Jackson and Brandon Lloyd (who hasn't even been on the team that long) so...

TimmG6376
12-19-2011, 08:49 PM
He might not have to sell it to the fans but he has to sell it to the owner of the team. Clark Hunt is very aware of how Mcdaniels destroyed Denver in a very short amount of time.

I'm not trying to make a case for McDaniels; just addressing the whole fanbase thing. I've see the Packer fanbase get up in arms over TT's moves quite a bit. If he paid them any attention the franchise wouldn't be anywhere close to where they are now. Good point about needing the owner's backing though.

I can't see anyone giving McDaniels the kind of control he had in Denver ever again.

1funguy
12-20-2011, 04:11 AM
I'd rather be bad and surprise people than be thought of as an elite team and end up crapping my pants every year.

Well, you ARE bad so congrats.

As for the elite rep of the Chargers, that's media BS that I personally don't buy into. That ship has sailed for the present thanks to the drafting genius of AJ Smith.

Vox Populi
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Marc Trestman could get some interviews as a head coach after having been out of the NFL since '04 and coaching the Montreal Alouettes the past four year. He has ~20 years of experience as a QB coach and offensive coordinator in the NFL on his resume. He has coordinated for some pretty high scoring offenses and coached some really good quarterbacks, but if he were to come back to the NFL you'd likely see one of the most pass-happy teams in the league.

His most recent NFL coaching experience was with the Dolphins and Raiders. He was offensive coordinator the year the Raiders went to the Super Bowl, and the year after when they went 4-12 with Bill Callahan, after that his last NFL experience was with the Dolphins in '04 as the QB coach/assistant head coach the year that Ricky Williams decided to retire and they made the trade for AJ Feely. I'm not sure how to judge him as a coach when he was in the NFL, but he had some great years and some not so great years, but I don't know how much he really influenced any of it, and was more a product of being a part of some really good and really bad teams.

I know from watching the CFL though, that he is a really good offensive coach for the Als and has been to the finals 3 times in 4 years, winning it twice with a 36-37 year old QB being the league's MVP twice in his first two years there.

So, if a team wants a coach with a lot of experience, who has had success as a play caller in the NFL, has some recent head coaching experience and success, and wants someone for really really cheap that they can gamble on and throw away if a hot coaching prospect pops up, he is a guy teams could look into for sure. He might not be a terrible fit for a team like the Rams or Jags who are probably going to be in the market for offensive minded coaches to try and save their 1st round QB's careers.

Hurricanes25
12-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Great article on Brian Schottenheimer.

YPG- 2006- 305 yards (25th) 2007- 295 (26th) 2008- 330 (16th) 2009- 321 (20th) 2010- 351 (11th) 2011- 308 (27th)

Also, Pennington and Favre were top 5 in MVP voting the year after they left.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/12/26/2661495/brian-schottenheimers-record?ref=yahoo

And Schotty was the QB coach of the Chargers from 2002-2005. Brees left or the Sanits in 06 and we all know what happened.

Schotty is an offense and QB killer.

Edit: Not that I'm a huge fan of Sanchez or anything but I'm curious to see what he could do without Schotty.

Complex
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM
The Jets should try to hire Norv Turner.

BeerBaron
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/27/report-philly-will-hire-steve-spagnuolo-if-hes-available/

What all Giants fans want to hear I'm sure.

Damix
12-27-2011, 01:08 PM
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEERBARON.

I'm just going to ignore every article about Spags and hope for the best

diabsoule
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/27/report-philly-will-hire-steve-spagnuolo-if-hes-available/

What all Giants fans want to hear I'm sure.

Rotoworld reporting it as well:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/723/eagles-defense

That would make the Eagles D just effin scary

Damix
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Rotoworld reporting it as well:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/723/eagles-defense

That would make the Eagles D just effin scary

Same source.

diabsoule
12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Same source.

Well, it's on rotoworld!

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Dear god. Spags with those pass rushers and the man coverage abilities of Nnamdi and DRC...Jizztastic.

That should just about book Asante Samuel's ticket out of Philly though.

A Perfect Score
12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825769fa/article/rams-expected-to-fire-spagnuolo-pursue-extitans-coach-fisher?module=HP11_headline_stack

Apparently the Rams are going to make a serious run at Jeff Fisher after Spags is let go. They've got connections, too.

Fisher is represented by Marv Demoff, whose son, Kevin, is an executive with the Rams.

Giantsfan1080
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Sal Pal now reporting the Giants will aggresively pursue Spags and we are the favorites to land him. Which source do we believe?

ArkyRamsFan
12-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Sal Pal now reporting the Giants will aggresively pursue Spags and we are the favorites to land him. Which source do we believe?

One thing to keep in mind. Spags has 1 more year left on his contract @ $2.8 mill and it is entirely possible that after he gets taken before the firing squad that he takes next year off from football and collects his money.

I have not heard anything in the ether to suggest this but after the year he has had it might just be the ticket to regain his sanity and recharge his batteries...

Just sayin'

49ersfan_87
12-27-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825769fa/article/rams-expected-to-fire-spagnuolo-pursue-extitans-coach-fisher?module=HP11_headline_stack

Apparently the Rams are going to make a serious run at Jeff Fisher after Spags is let go. They've got connections, too.

Fisher is a safe choice. The past few years it seemed like the Titans were always an 8-8 team, with a playoff berth sandwiched in between every few years. He's also proven so there's that. The Titans never seemed to bottom out or really do great except for 2004-2005 when they drafted Pacman and Vince, and 2008 when they went 13-3.

bantx
12-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Rumors of Chargers interviewing Cowher, they've denied it but a few places have published the rumor. I'm hoping it's true Cowher would be a wet dream.

Dangermouse
12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
So my take is that Caldwell, Turner, Morris and Spagnuoli join the unemployed list.

St Louis - Gruden
San Diego - Cowher
Miami - Fisher
KC - Crennel
Jacksonville - Steve Spagnuolo
Indy - Winston Moss
Tampa - Norv Turner

H.O.O.D
12-30-2011, 08:51 AM
So my take is that Caldwell, Turner, Morris and Spagnuoli join the unemployed list.

St Louis - Gruden
San Diego - Cowher
Miami - Fisher
KC - Crennel
Indy - Winston Moss
Tampa - Norv Turner

Tampa isn't going to interview Norv for anything more than as an OC. Highly doubt Gene Smith hires Spags, more likely they target an offensive coach.

H.O.O.D
12-30-2011, 09:51 AM
My best guess at this point in time :

St.Louis - Jeff Fisher

Tampa - Mike Zimmer

Indy - Tom Clements

Jacksonville - Mike Mularkey

San Diego - Bill Cowher

Kansas City - Romeo Crennel

Miami - Brian Billick

killxswitch
12-30-2011, 09:55 AM

St Louis - Gruden
San Diego - Cowher
Miami - Fisher
KC - Crennel
Indy - Winston Moss
Tampa - Norv Turner

I would love Winston Moss especially because that would probably mean Reggie McKenzie was the new GM.

Rosebud
12-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Spags better end up on the Giants next season as DC or HC. If not him then it better be because we hired Zimmer to be our HC.

Unbiased
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Chudzinski would be an excellent fit for Tampa Bay.

SickwithIt1010
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Spags better end up on the Giants next season as DC or HC. If not him then it better be because we hired Zimmer to be our HC.

He's going to philly :)

H.O.O.D
01-01-2012, 08:13 PM
He's going to philly :)

He's taking the year off.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-01-2012, 09:16 PM

If we make the playoffs, then we have Fewell! He has been better and simplified things... in week like 16, lol.

jrdrylie
01-02-2012, 02:50 AM
I've been reading on Twitter that as many as five coaches could be fired today. Spags has already been fired, so I'm quite curious to find out who the others may be. Jim Caldwell is likely out but the others aren't as clear. Reid, Shannahan, Gailey, and Garrett could also be on the way out. My guess is Reid retires, Gailey is fired because of his teams terrible collapse, and Garrett is fired after just one season. Add in the firings of Del Rio, Sparano, Morris, Turner, and Haley and there could be as many as ten head coaching openings by the end of the day.

Brothgar
01-02-2012, 03:09 AM
I've been reading on Twitter that as many as five coaches could be fired today. Spags has already been fired, so I'm quite curious to find out who the others may be. Jim Caldwell is likely out but the others aren't as clear. Reid, Shannahan, Gailey, and Garrett could also be on the way out. My guess is Reid retires, Gailey is fired because of his teams terrible collapse, and Garrett is fired after just one season. Add in the firings of Del Rio, Sparano, Morris, Turner, and Haley and there could be as many as ten head coaching openings by the end of the day.

Five coaches today?

Caldwell, Morris, Norv, Reid, I can't think of a 5th

bantx
01-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Spanos stated he needs a few days to think about AJ and Norv's future, fml.

nepg
01-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Spanos stated he needs a few days to think about AJ and Norv's future, fml.
ROFL.

What "thinking"? They both failed miserably.

Norv had one of the most talented teams in the NFL for years and won nothing...and has missed the playoffs for a second year in a row.

AJ failed to retain the correct players or replace them adequately as they left, and is responsible for keeping Norv around so long. Plus the guy got way too much credit in the first place for having lucked into both the Vick and Manning trades.

WCH
01-02-2012, 07:57 AM
I would love Winston Moss especially because that would probably mean Reggie McKenzie was the new GM.

I'd almost bet the farm that McKenzie goes to Oakland and takes Eliot Wolf with him. The philosophical ties between the two franchises are really strong (Ron Wolf basically tried to bring Oakland's philosophy to Green Bay), and the Herock/Wolf connection probably can't be overstated, and Ken Herock is reportedly leading Oakland's GM search.

Shaun Herock (Ken's son, and one of Green Bay's top scouts) also seems like an obvious person to jump to Oakland in this scenario.

I'm actually bracing for Oakland to pillage Green Bay's front office this offseason. It could look something like this:

General Manager: Reggie McKenzie
Vice President of Football Operations: Eliot Wolf
Director of College Scouting: Shaun Herock

Cudders
01-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Honestly, if Steve Spagnuolo decides to coach next year, it will be very interesting to see where he lands. I've got to believe the Eagles and Giants are the two biggest candidates for his services at the moment, given his history with both franchises and their disappointing defensive situations. Either way, the personnel will be there for him to work his magic right away. They've each got a stable of productive pass rushers and corners that thrive in press man. He's a perfect fit for the style of defense New York and Philadelphia should be employing. And I truly believe that either defense would experience a dramatic turnaround under Spagnuolo even if the personnel remained the same. He's that good at dialing up an attacking defense and would be a big-time addition for both clubs.

Along those lines, I think the team that brings Norv Turner into the fold as an offensive coordinator is getting a steal. The man is an absolutely abysmal head coach and motivator, but his track record as a coordinator speaks for itself. He's got a cutting-edge football mind and his offense's just move the ball. He doesn't have the sexiest schemes on the whiteboard, but they're incredibly effective and battle-tested on the field. He's shown he can stay unpredictable when calling the plays and his formation variation is among the best in all of football. He will run the same exact play out of twelve different formations or run twelve different plays out of the same exact formation. He doesn't pull the ripcord on the running game at the first sign of trouble either like so many of his peers. Plus, he's very quarterback-friendly and his tutelage has benefited plenty of young trigger-men.

If I were a team struggling on one side of the ball, these two would be among the first people I called. Coordinators can be impact additions themselves. Just ask Houston about Wade Phillips.

1funguy
01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Spags needs to replace Manusky in SD.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I would love nothing more then for the Ravens to replace Cam Cameron with Norv Turner. Dear god, imagine Ray Rice in Norv's scheme.

General Zod
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Fraizer did a lousy job this season and probably deserves it. But since it was his first full season Im pretty sure he is safe. But I do believe all the coordinators will be gone and they will clean house there.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
I would love nothing more then for the Ravens to replace Cam Cameron with Norv Turner. Dear god, imagine Ray Rice in Norv's scheme.

Try and fleece the Jags into taking Cameron off your hands. They're already interviewing Mularkey...so it's clear they're interested in "offensive geniuses" as their next head coach.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Raheem Morris fired. They hired a guy at 32 years old and gave him 3 years. The NFL is full of morons.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Try and fleece the Jags into taking Cameron off your hands. They're already interviewing Mularkey...so it's clear they're interested in "offensive geniuses" as their next head coach.

I'd be so excited to see either of those guys in Jax. I can just see the headlines in Jacksonville...

"Jags lose by 45, Cameron defends decision to give MJD 6 carries in loss"

"Jags lose by 45, Mularkey defends decision to run same offensive play 6 times on the same drive"

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Raheem Morris fired. They hired a guy at 32 years old and gave him 3 years. The NFL is full of morons.

The Bucs were the worst team in football over the last 9 games or so. Completely dysfunctional on all sides of the ball and at all levels.

It's completely deserved. He needs to go somewhere else and coordinate just a defense for a while to get his feet back under him. I also think he'd make for a much better college head coach.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
The Bucs were the worst team in football over the last 9 games or so. Completely dysfunctional on all sides of the ball and at all levels.

It's completely deserved. He needs to go somewhere else and coordinate just a defense for a while to get his feet back under him. I also think he'd make for a much better college head coach.
I'm not questioning how deserved it is, but let's consider a few things:

-Morris was 32 when he was hired.
-He had no head coaching experience at any level, ever.
-He had no NFL coordinating experience.

So to look at the team three years out and think "we'll that didn't work" I think is absurdly short-sighted. If you expected that quick of a turnaround, the absolutely last thing you should do is hire a totally green coach who is going to have to learn on the job.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I think they panicked when they realized how hot of a candidate he was becoming at the time.

They wanted him to replace Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator, but it was Denver who I think interviewed him for the HC job (that went to McD) so they made a panic move (it was several weeks into January) and made him their own head coach after firing Gruden.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
How much does coaching changes really affect a quarterbacks development? Always heard how Alex Smith has suffered from multiple offensive coordinators and Bradford might get the same treatment. Is there any truth to it or is it just a cop out?

bucfan12
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I think they panicked when they realized how hot of a candidate he was becoming at the time.

They wanted him to replace Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator, but it was Denver who I think interviewed him for the HC job (that went to McD) so they made a panic move (it was several weeks into January) and made him their own head coach after firing Gruden.

Yes it was Denver that interviewed him back then. He made the final cut and it was down to McDaniels and Raheem Morris. Then the Bucs started fielding calls to request an interview for him from the Rams as well.

The Bucs then got fed up with Gruden's inability to build a team throuhg the draft and free agency and only stock piled veterans and had no plan. So they rushed Morris before he was even a Def. Coordinator and it showed he had no idea what he was doing.

It worked last year because they were winning and feeding off of it. Several players in the lockeroom said they had no veteran leadership and didn't handle a losing streak very well and things collapsed.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
How much does coaching changes really affect a quarterbacks development? Always heard how Alex Smith has suffered from multiple offensive coordinators and Bradford might get the same treatment. Is there any truth to it or is it just a cop out?
It's both.

It's hard to develop mentally when you're having to relearn a new system every year.

That said, often a player just sucks.

Da-Phins
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Supposedly Jeff Fisher is going to get an interview with the Dolphins and Bucs for their opening HC position according to Adam Schefter.

And also their are reports that the Dolphins offered John Gruden the HC job with full control but he turned them down.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Well it's not insurmountable, but it does hamper development. Think about it logically; how often is repetition a part of improvement? Familiarity with a system and comfort within that system do wonders for not only a QB's mental development, but his confidence and physical preparation as well. Not only that, but it doesn't effect only the QB. If the entire offense is out of sync due to constant shakeup, it makes it all that much more difficult for the QB as well. Timing is such an underrated aspect of playing in the NFL.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Supposedly the Jags want to interview Mike Mularkey (Falcons OC)... please take him Jacksonville.

bucfan12
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
What's the rule on interviewing DC and OCs of current playoff teams? Can they interview guys like Zimmer or Murlaky before there 1st playoff game?

bearsfan_51
01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
What's the rule on interviewing DC and OCs of current playoff teams? Can they interview guys like Zimmer or Murlaky before there 1st playoff game?
No. You can only interview someone with a bye week.

Unbiased
01-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Supposedly the Jags want to interview Mike Mularkey (Falcons OC)... please take him Jacksonville.

I know he's not popular with Falcons fans, but he would be a serious upgraded playcaller from Dirk Koetter. He also has ties to Tom Clements, who was his OC during their 2 years together in Buffalo, so we could make Mularkey the HC/playcaller and Clements the OC/QB coach which should be a great combo for Gabbert. It would also be a necessary stepping stone for Clements if he wants to become a head coach in the NFL. It's just wishful thinking for me at this point, but it makes some sense.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I know he's not popular with Falcons fans, but he would be a serious upgraded playcaller from Dirk Koetter. He also has ties to Tom Clements, who was his OC during their 2 years together in Buffalo, so we could make Mularkey the HC/playcaller and Clements the OC/QB coach which should be a great combo for Gabbert. It would also be a necessary stepping stone for Clements if he wants to become a head coach in the NFL. It's just wishful thinking for me at this point, but it makes some sense.

I guess it could make some sense, because at least Mularkey will feed MJD and constrict Gabbert.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 12:06 PM
On the Dolphins radar:

Instead, the Dolphins are more likely to look at coordinators. Salguero writes the following names will be in the mix: Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, and Cowboys special-teams coach Joe DeCamillis. Salguero puts Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski and Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey in the “maybe” category.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/dolphins-start-coaching-search-casting-wide-net/

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Plz oakland...get a good GM and DC....plz....I'll shoot somebody if they let hue hc/gm lol

H.O.O.D
01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Plz oakland...get a good GM and DC....plz....I'll shoot somebody if they let hue hc/gm lol

SEE!!!!!! Raiders fans are the reason why they have canceled the preseason battle of the bay!

j/k as I know yr playin playa

Brothgar
01-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Take the OC from the Packers someone please.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Does anyone else think Chudzinski's name being mentioned is a little funny? Not long ago, he was fired in Cleveland because that offense was lousy...he's spends like a year or two as SD's TE coach....has one good year with Cam Newton at QB and suddenly is a head coaching candidate?

BS. Unless he gets to bring Newton with him.

It's times like this I continue to think that I could GM an NFL team if someone was there to help manage the salary cap. Namely because I wouldn't do ******** **** like this. By "not being terrible" I'd be halfway there.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2012, 12:56 PM
F jacksonville and their idiot owner. They took Jack Del Rio from us after one year too

Just let us have Chud and Cam together for a couple years!

49ersfan_87
01-02-2012, 01:07 PM
So far the open HC spots are

Jaguars
Chiefs
Dolphins
Rams
Bucs

Thought there would be more turnover than that. I expect Jim Caldwell and Norv Turner to be fired soon as well, although not necessarily today in Turner's case. That would leave 7 HC openings.

Next year hot-seat candidates would be Gailey, Frazier, Shurmur (only signed a 2 year contract), Shannahan, and maybe Reid and Garrett.

bigbluedefense
01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
I want Spags back so bad. SO BAD.

If we can't have him back, I'd love to see him go to Oakland and turn that unit into a great unit.

Just please. Don't go to the Eagles. Don't do that to me Spags. Please. Don't do that to me.

Just don't do that to me. Anywhere but Philly.

V.I.P
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Hallelujah !!!!!!

Raiderz4Life
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM

If we can't have him back, I'd love to see him go to Oakland and turn that unit into a great unit.

Just please. Don't go to the Eagles. Don't do that to me Spags. Please. Don't do that to me.

I would LOVE Spags in Oakland. That would make me oh so happy.

asdf1223
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Colts clean house supposedly. Bill Polian is fired as well according to Mort.

Razor
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Colts clean house supposedly. Bill Polian is fired as well according to Mort.

Yup....
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Filed to ESPN: Irsay cleans house, including Bill and Chris Polian, per league source

Right thing to do imo.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Let the Jim Fisher era begin in Indy

49ersfan_87
01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Where do you guys think Jeff Fisher ends up? It seems like he's been linked to every job opening this year. Definitely the hottest HC candidate this offseason.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Where do you guys think Jeff Fisher ends up? It seems like he's been linked to every job opening this year. Definitely the hottest HC candidate this offseason.

With everyone out in Indy, that seems like the logical place. Handling the Peyton situation could get tricky, but being the man in charge on the team who will be getting Andrew Luck looks like a great job opportunity.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
With everyone out in Indy, that seems like the logical place. Handling the Peyton situation could get tricky, but being the man in charge on the team who will be getting Andrew Luck looks like a great job opportunity.

I think i read somewhere he would only come to Indy if Peyton was healthy and the QB. I think he wants to win now and not build a team.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/jaguars-will-interview-brian-schottenheimer/

The Jags inverview Mularkey, Chudzinsky, and now Brian Schotty....

Only Mike Martz and Cam Cameron remain on the list of terrible OCs to inverview for HC Jacksonville. Better get a move on!

But seriously...Brian Schotty? really? Are you trying to see just how bad you can make Blaine Gabbert?

vidae
01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/jaguars-will-interview-brian-schottenheimer/

The Jags inverview Mularkey, Chudzinsky, and now Brian Schotty....

Only Mike Martz and Cam Cameron remain on the list of terrible OCs to inverview for HC Jacksonville. Better get a move on!

But seriously...Brian Schotty? really? Are you trying to see just how bad you can make Blaine Gabbert?

He can get WORSE? Oh god I feel bad for Jags fans.

A Perfect Score
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm going to start a Hire Cam Cameron campaign for the Jaguars.

Marino13
01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Miami interviewing Chicago ST Coach Dave Toub. What can ya'll tell me about him?

Complex
01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
If the Jags hire Schotty their WR's are going to run a lot of slants.

diabsoule
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
The Bills have fired DC George Edwards and hired Dave Wannstedt to replace him

Shane P. Hallam
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm going to start a Hire Cam Cameron campaign for the Jaguars.

Aren't you a Jaguars fan?

Shane P. Hallam
01-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Cowboys Special Teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis also interviewing for Jaguars job.

49ersfan_87
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a random thought, but man is it hard to choose a good NFL HC. You'd think getting a great coordinator to HC would work but it seems you have just as good a shot of flaming out as you do hitting a homerun. Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, Romeo Crennel, Todd Haley, Charlie Weis, Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo, Jack Del Rio...all really good coordinators, all failed as HC's (Weis in college but still).

Looking at this year's crop, the best coordinators that aren't failed HC's already are Chudzinkski, Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Dennis Allen, Darryl Horton, and maybe Rob Ryan. But you just never know how they'll pan out as HC's..just a big jump from coordinator to HC.

SickwithIt1010
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM

If he doesnt come here to Philly, I'd like him in Oakland also...that would be pretty cool to see.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Miami interviewing Chicago ST Coach Dave Toub. What can ya'll tell me about him?
He's ******* awesome.

Unbiased
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
How is Chudzinski an awful OC Beer Baron? Get real.

killxswitch
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
It's freezing and snowing outside and I am still possibly going to go running naked through the streets. I am so happy right now!!

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
How is Chudzinski an awful OC Beer Baron? Get real.

Oh jesus christ. He had years of mediocre Cleveland offenses, got fired, coached tight ends in San Diego, and had one good year led by Cam Newton. One!

Unless he gets to bring Newton with him, he's going to be a colossal flop. Especially with Blaine Gabbert at QB. No one can win in that spot.

"Get real." Pfft. "OMG! ONE YEAR OF CAM NEWTON BEING GOOD! GREATEST OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR EVER!!!!"

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh jesus christ. He had years of mediocre Cleveland offenses, got fired, coached tight ends in San Diego, and had one good year led by Cam Newton. One!

Unless he gets to bring Newton with him, he's going to be a colossal flop. Especially with Blaine Gabbert at QB. No one can win in that spot.

"Get real." Pfft. "OMG! ONE YEAR OF CAM NEWTON BEING GOOD! GREATEST OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR EVER!!!!"

I'm sure having Cam must have been a dream for an OC, but he was damn good at his job this year. But you and I have the same feelings. Any "offensive mind" is going to fail there if they get stuck with Gabbert.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sure having Cam must have been a dream for an OC, but he was damn good at his job this year. But you and I have the same feelings. Any "offensive mind" is going to fail there if they get stuck with Gabbert.

He also only did it for one year though. The NFL is such a "flavor of week" club that one year is apparently all it takes for minds to change about you.

Grizzlegom
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Jeff Fisher interviewing with Miami first thing tomorrow morning then heading to St. Louis to interview with them. Apparently he will listen to any and all offers before making a decision. Looking for best situation and not most money.

Still not entirely sure what makes him such a highly regarded HC candidate, was a consistently mediocre coach that never won it big...

SickwithIt1010
01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Jeff Fisher interviewing with Miami first thing tomorrow morning then heading to St. Louis to interview with them. Apparently he will listen to any and all offers before making a decision. Looking for best situation and not most money.

Still not entirely sure what makes him such a highly regarded HC candidate, was a consistently mediocre coach that never won it big...

Proven winner, built that titans team, very solid football teams, good personality, etc.

49ersfan_87
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Turner AND Caldwell could both stay

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/irsay-caldwell-is-under-evaluation/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/02/signs-improving-for-norv-turner-and-a-j-smith/

If i'm a fan of either of those teams I am pissed. Especially San Diego. I can't believe some meaningless wins against Jacksonville and Oakland will help Norv and AJ keep their jobs..

ATLDirtyBirds
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
He also only did it for one year though. The NFL is such a "flavor of week" club that one year is apparently all it takes for minds to change about you.

Although I will say his tale is awfully similar to the one of Mike Mularkey...

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd be less pissed about Norv/AJ staying than about Caldwell staying though. Caldwell is a lifeless android who was exposed this year. It sucks when a player gets hurt, especially if that player is a future HoFer, but you have to adjust. And it took that Colts team 13 weeks to do anything.

I'd want a full blown fresh start in Indy.

At least in San Diego, the Chargers are the most talented overall team in an extremely weak division. The status quo isn't the worst thing.

Grizzlegom
01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Proven winner, built that titans team, very solid football teams, good personality, etc.

He's only got a .538 winning percentage, never won a Super Bowl, only made the playoffs 5 times in 15 years as a head coach...I mean I understand what you are saying but very solid would be how to describe him. He's a "safe" hiring, sure, but isn't the goal to win a Super Bowl?

WCH
01-02-2012, 05:20 PM
He's only got a .538 winning percentage, never won a Super Bowl, only made the playoffs 5 times in 15 years as a head coach...I mean I understand what you are saying but very solid would be how to describe him. He's a "safe" hiring, sure, but isn't the goal to win a Super Bowl?

I'm with you. Has a non-SB winning HC ever been this highly regarded? His claim to fame seems to be that he was good enough to not get fired by the Titans in 15 years.

Brodeur
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd be less pissed about Norv/AJ staying than about Caldwell staying though. Caldwell is a lifeless android who was exposed this year. It sucks when a player gets hurt, especially if that player is a future HoFer, but you have to adjust. And it took that Colts team 13 weeks to do anything.

I'd want a full blown fresh start in Indy.

At least in San Diego, the Chargers are the most talented overall team in an extremely weak division. The status quo isn't the worst thing.

Kansas City is just as talented with a far better GM and Crennel is a better coach than Norv, so I don't think they're the favorite next year. They NEED to stop being so goddamn cheap by retaining AJ and Norv, they have got to go.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM

In the end, yes.

But if I'm Miami, I'd take someone just getting the team to the playoffs as a start. If not for one hiccup year with a resurgent Pennington and the wildcat, they'd be right up there on that list with Buffalo, Oakland and Cleveland as having a long playoff drought.

Some stability would be nice right now for the Dolphins.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Kansas City is just as talented with a far better GM and Crennel is a better coach than Norv, so I don't think they're the favorite next year. They NEED to stop being so goddamn cheap by retaining AJ and Norv, they have got to go.

Eh. Debatable. It's not a huge difference if there is one, plus I'll always take the team with the franchise QB (Rivers) over the team that doesn't have one in a close comparison.