PDA

View Full Version : Which of These Two Porous Defenses Would You Prefer?

TheBoyWonder22
11-24-2011, 01:31 AM
With both of these high powered offenses being complimented by two abysmal defenses, I wanted to see who is the lesser of two evils.
Statistically, the two are very close with Green Bay giving slightly stronger.
Discuss your pick.

nepg
11-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Both defenses are actually pretty solid and can be great at times... If anything, the defenses suffer from the offenses scoring too quickly.

Ness
11-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Green Bay. They at least get a bunch of turnovers.

TheBoyWonder22
11-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Both defenses are actually pretty solid and can be great at times... If anything, the defenses suffer from the offenses scoring too quickly.
Though this is a solid point, I think it's scary to have defenses who give up such a ludicrous amount of yards. Bend but don't break only works to such an extent. If these were teams with more ground based offenses, they'd be awful. Therefore, assuming that their offenses weren't so high-octane; who would you prefer?

AntoinCD
11-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I think its really too close to call. The Pats have the edge in points allowed slightly and the Packers have the edge in turnovers slightly.

I would also disagree that both units ate terrible. With the exception of yards allowed both defenses are way above average

J-Mike88
11-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Good question.
Based on recent results in big games, I'll go with the team with the playmakers on defense: Woodson, Tramon, Matthews..... this team really misses the perennial Pro-Bowler Nick Collins back there.
The funny thing is, the Patriots are also missing their "Pro-Bowl" safety back there, Brandon Merriweather! But they chose to cut him..... very interesting.

The Patriots DL is better with the free-agent gift of Andre Carter.
Flip that, the Packers DL is a shell of its former self because they let Cullen Jenkins go.

cmarq83
11-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I'd take Green Bay. At least they have a good collection of talent on that side of the ball. The Patriots starters right now with Chung, Spikes, and McCourty all hurt consists of 3 first round draft picks (Wilfork, Mayo, Carter) and nobody else who was picked higher than the 5th round.

*Edit* I forgot about the all star Antwan Moulden who was picked in the 3rd round.

JBCX
11-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Packers definitely.

- Dom Capers is a better defensive playcaller than Bill Belichick at this point. Belichick seems to be content running a 4-3 vanilla defense with a cover-2 shell most of the time.

- The Packers have much more established talent on the defense than the Pats. The Patriots are rotating also-rans and undrafted free agents into nearly every critical position. I think the only really established players on that defense that are left are Jerod Mayo and Vince Wilfork.

Grizzlegom
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Packers and its not even close.

Sloopy
11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I think that GB's D just haven't been playing up to their potential, meanwhile I feel that there is a lack of necessary personnel on the Pats D

nepg
11-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't think there was a poll when I originally opened this thread and I just assumed we were talking about the Packers & Lions. Not the Patriots.

SuperPacker
11-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Im offended by this article. Our defense is a mile than the Patriots! Did you know we're leading the league in interceptions? Waste of my time....

Hurricanes25
11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Green Bay. They have a lot more talent on their D than NE does.

thegreatone
11-24-2011, 11:13 AM
I like to hear an argument on anyone who picks NE. Because thats just flat out stupid.

At least GB has talent on the defensive side of the ball. They're having an off year, but that D is elite most years.

TheBoyWonder22
11-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I posed this question based on both great passing offenses being backed by pourous d's. With the way both defenses have produced, which is scarier? I think the Packers coverage can ultimately be their undoing. Granted I haven't actually seen either team play this season, but with the big plays given up by both thus far, it is fair to say that against a team like the Saints, Lions, or Steelers in the playoffs, both will be exploited.
I was expecting the Packers to win, but I created this more to gauge how people see how each teams strengths trump the others weaknesses.

SuperPacker
11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
lol the packers are making this question look even more stupid. 0 points and 2 interceptions midway through the 3rd quarter

Coombser
11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
lol the packers are making this question look even more stupid. 0 points and 2 interceptions midway through the 3rd quarter

Green Bay - if they can get some more rush outside of CM3 down the stretch or in the upcoming draft it's gonna be great for the next few years.

TheBoyWonder22
11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Again, I was just basing it on the insane amount of yardage that has been given up on both sides. After seeing Green Bay for the first time today, I see that this D is comparable to the 09 Saints than anything. I just never expected the team I saw last year give up so many yards. A mod can lock this. More ignorance on my part than stupidity.

BaLLiN
11-24-2011, 02:15 PM
If I was an opposing QB or OC, i would be scared to throw the ball. Not only because of Woodson, Tramon, and even Shields, but because of Dom Capers's trick coverages. Due to the talent they have on defense they can utilize many different players in various ways. Nick Collins would be having an amazing season right now.

New England has some good young talent, but they have some injuries as well. But i like Dom Capers's scheme much better.

nepg
11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I voted for New England because it was 38-0.