Borat
11-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Week 12:
Thursday, November 24, 2011

http://www.csnbayarea.com/common/medialib/223/594386.jpg

San Francisco 49ers (9-1)
at
Baltimore Ravens (7-3)

http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/NFL/lg/national-football-league-afc-baltimore-ravens-aerial-view-of-mt-bank-park-nfl-afc-brav-00042lg.jpg

Time: 5:20 pm pst

I'll be honest, when I saw the Ravens on the schedule I was worried. When I realized it was on Thanksgiving, I was bummed. I feared the national TV embarrassment. Not any more. I think this 9ers team is just as good, if not better, than the Ravens. We're gonna find out and the nation will be watching.

I just find the Ravens so likable. I don't know if it's because the Niners have been trying to be the Ravens West for about 8 years now. Or it's just that they have these guys:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LbbdV61SXwM/Tj-VhVWcoxI/AAAAAAAAAGI/gVgLXZTn76U/s1600/ray-rice-ray-lewis.jpg

and we have these guys:
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae172/itsvelvethoop/FOR%20TRADE/FOOTBALL/RELIC/gorewillis.gif

And we have this guy:
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Aldon+Smith+San+Francisco+49ers+v+Philadelphia+SSh RyuqE_Z0l.jpg

whom we hope can turn into this:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18500000/Terrell-Suggs-baltimore-ravens-18518553-594-397.jpg

And they have this:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2009/01/ed-reed-sir.jpg

But we have this:

Uhhhhh, nevermind. I'm not going there.

And I just want to say that this guy:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/files/2011/11/alexVarizona1.jpg
Deserves better. For years, when he sucked, everyone said "you suck." This season, he hasn't sucked, and yet, people still say "you suck." Pretty unfair to a guy that has had a rough career and is perceived as a pretty good dude.

He's going to need to be accurate as hell in the intermediate routes cause the Ravens are going to bring a ton of heat. Hopefully we can get some good protection on a couple of deep balls to this guy:
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/351771/thumbs/r-BRAYLON-EDWARDS-large570.jpg
He's my pick for breakout 9er this game. He hasn't been a big enough factor yet and he's going to have the national spotlight to perform.

Lastly, call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of this in the slot:
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2317425/95982_Cardinals_49ers_Football.jpg
I like his intermediate game very much.

Standings: A matchup of 2 first-place teams!

NFC West
1. San Francisco 49ers (9-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (4-6)
3. Arizona Cardinals (3-7)
4. St. Louis Rams (2-8)

AFC North
1. Baltimore Ravens (7-3)
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-3)
3. Cincinnati Bengals (6-4)
4. Cleveland Browns (4-6)

Special Note: If you thought the Niners would win 9 of their first 10 games, raise you hand. Nobody, huh? So, for Thanksgiving, lets give thanks for the amazing first 11 weeks of the season, and just remember
AcXOU6NZZAw

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Awsome as always Borat. NFL screwed us by making us fly to the east coast for a Thursday night game but hopefully Jimbaugh has the boys rested and ready. I'll be watching the Suggs vs Staley match-up very closely. Should be a great game.

dan77733
11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Can the game be watched online?

49erNation85
11-24-2011, 10:09 AM
can't wait e for this game later tonight. Dan try looking here

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/american-football.html

Ness
11-24-2011, 11:31 AM
I was listening to KNBR the other day and Murph was talking to Greg Cossell about how this game most likely had already been studied for way in advance in the coaches' spare time. The staff knew they would have a short week ahead and were probably getting ready weeks in advance.

Brent
11-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Years of conditioning has left me expecting this to end in disappointment.

Ness
11-24-2011, 12:53 PM
The odds are against the 49ers. Four days to travel from San Francisco to Baltimore? That's bogus. I'd be surprised if this game isn't at least close. We're only an overtime loss from being undefeated. Every other game we've blown out the opponent or it's been a close victory.

I expect Cam Cameron to force Flacco to air it out if the run game doesn't show promise early. Torrey Smith and Lee Evans kind of worry me. I don't know if we have anyone with enough speed to protect against the constant deep ball. Although Goldson in the last few games as safety has at least appeared to be in the right place at the right time. At least it gives more chances for Brooks and Smith to sack the hell out of Flacco.

Madirishman
11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Years of conditioning has left me expecting this to end in disappointment.

(Our) Harbaugh's message through the media this week was almost a built-in excuse about the unfair scheduling for the Niners, with them having to travel to the east coast and play on a short week. I think they have a very good chance to win this game, but it's going to take some special teams magic and as close to turnover-free efficiency by the offense. Their secondary can be had by the pass and with no Ray Lewis, they won't be as strong up the middle.

I expect a great game and look forward to seeing the Harbaugh boys compete, ending with a meaningful handshake at the end.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ness
11-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Ed Reed scares me. I'm really curious to see how that passing game is going to flourish tonight, if it does at all. Hopefully the run game can get going a little bit so it takes some pressure off. I visited a few Ravens message boards a couple of days ago. Some of their fans believe that if they simply stop Frank Gore they win the game. Harbaugh may come out passing like he did against the Giants to try and negate that notion. Also, I expect Jim Harbaugh to defer if he wins the coin toss again like he has been doing all season. John is probably going to do the same thing.

Ness
11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Also it would be great if on national television Alex Smith had a career game and throws 30/35 for 450 yards and 5 touchdowns in a 35-0 rout of the Ravens. Dreaming, but I'm just saying it would be great.

LonghornsLegend
11-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Who has looked better this season, Braylon or Crabtree? I guess I can get the answer to that myself tonight because I plan on tuning in, but their games are pretty similiar to me so I was curious who looked better doing it.

Obviously the offense caps the production and chances to see but Crabs seemed to produce quite nicely last week and Braylon has been looking alot more explosive to me lately even though he hasn't had a ton of chances.

phlysac
11-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Who has looked better this season, Braylon or Crabtree? I guess I can get the answer to that myself tonight because I plan on tuning in, but their games are pretty similiar to me so I was curious who looked better doing it.

Obviously the offense caps the production and chances to see but Crabs seemed to produce quite nicely last week and Braylon has been looking alot more explosive to me lately even though he hasn't had a ton of chances.

Braylon is has been FAR from 100%. He looked great in preseason but hasn't contributed anything but drops, really. Crabs was slow (coming off injury) but he's been looking really good the last several weeks.

It may never happen, BUT if Crabs and Braylon BOTH get healthy AND chemistry with Smith... could be scary.

BandwagonPunditry
11-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Rachal. ****.

At least Alex proved he can go deep!

abaddon41_80
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Rachal is a bad, bad player. Do we have any suited up who can play guard?

49erNation85
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Rachal. ****.

At least Alex proved he can go deep!

Yea but that should of at least been a first down though. Dam Gore block was clean and it was. Stupid refs

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Im disappointed in Roman so far with the third down play-calling. You know the blitz is coming, we need plays to off-set their aggressiveness. And can we get away from the shot-gun EVERY 3rd down? Its 3rd and 2, lets see us run for a few of those. That is our strength last time I checked.

abaddon41_80
11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice stand after a BS PI call

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Hard to nit-pick Alex escaping a sack but when the showed the reply close-up, his eyes were fixed to one side of the field. Like to see him look deeper in that instance. Romo does it and gets huge gains for the Cowgirls all the time. Thats my biggest gripe with Alex, doesn't see the entire field like good QBs do. Then he short-hops a easy throw to Gore as I type this....

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 08:47 PM
****!!!! C'mon Braylon, you CAN'T let the DB make a play on the ball in that instance.....unbelievable. You have to FIGHT for the ball....you're freakin 6'3, 220 lbs, go get it at its highest point.

Ngatachance92
11-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Ngata pulled off his flag, hes down.

phlysac
11-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Romo does it and gets huge gains for the Cowgirls all the time.

He also throws a ton of picks that way. Smith isn't a gunslinger. He just isn't.

phlysac
11-24-2011, 08:49 PM
****!!!! C'mon Braylon, you CAN'T let the DB make a play on the ball in that instance.....unbelievable. You have to FIGHT for the ball....you're freakin 6'3, 220 lbs, go get it at its highest point.

Yeah, at the very LEAST he needs to to tackle Webb and take an intentional PI.

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 09:06 PM
He also throws a ton of picks that way. Smith isn't a gunslinger. He just isn't.

That has nothing to do with what I typed. In those instances, where he escapes and the defense is scrambling trying to recover, he picks up HUGE chucks of yards for them. Looking down field has nothing to do with being a gunslinger, its about taking advantage of the coverage in those instances. Alex needs to do more of that. His vision is limited. He drops his eyes when he is flushed out the pocket. In most instances, he should be looking deep on those occassions. You shouldnt be worried about bad decision making in those instances.

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
**** Alex, you see the blitz, get rid of the ball PLEASE. Its not like they're running alot of combo coverages behind it. Its called a hot read....your looking like old Alex tonight.

abaddon41_80
11-24-2011, 09:57 PM
**** Alex, you see the blitz, get rid of the ball PLEASE. Its not like they're running alot of combo coverages behind it. Its called a hot read....your looking like old Alex tonight.

The few times they have shown the field after a sack there hasn't been anyone open. I'm assuming that has been true on almost all of the sacks.

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Its a wrap, just not our night. Penalties, missed tackles, missed asignments, bad calls, over-matched upfront. I thought the short week would be too much and it seems that way. This isnt the same team I've watched for the past 11 weeks. We'll be better for it though...on to the next one.

abaddon41_80
11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
lol offensive line. Literally had like eight guys blocking and couldn't stop the rush

Brent
11-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Garbage. All three aspects.

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 10:08 PM
The few times they have shown the field after a sack there hasn't been anyone open. I'm assuming that has been true on almost all of the sacks.

The ball has to come out quicker. I dont care if its a gain of 2 yards, its better than taking a sack. I have seen guys running shallow open. I understand Suggs been unblockable but then you shorten routes. Its just no excuse too see the blitz and not adjust. Whether it be audible, protection, whatever. This looks too much like pre-season. Im not saying its all on Alex, but there have been alot of instances where he has eaten sacks he shouldn't have in this game. You can see the sacks are affecting his decision-making in the pocket.

Alot of it falls on Roman too. Where are the screens? Quick passes to the backs in the out of backfield? He's played right into the Ravens hands all night.

VAfy-ya
11-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Stone Hands Ginn strikes again......ballgame.

abaddon41_80
11-24-2011, 10:12 PM
That offensive line play was the most embarrassing thing I have seen in ages.

dan77733
11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
A few notes -

1) OL sucked, mainly Rachal. Why is he even still in the league???
2) Quick three step drops were the only pass attempts that worked. Everything else equaled a sack.
3) The penalty on Gore that took away the TD killed our offense early.
4) Gore did nothing as usual the last few weeks.
5) The INT by Smith at the end of the first half was horrible and I dont know why they just didnt keep going down the field instead of taking the shot for the endzone.
6) Defense played great except for one important thing - no pressure whatsoever on Flacco at all.
7) The officials missed a facemask penalty on a Smith sack.
8) Coaching staff didnt make any adjustments at halftime period.
9) Whitner missing that tackle on 3rd down killed us.
10) Defense played off the receivers and a lot of that zone crap that I ******* hate. UGH.

Only positives -

1) Only allowed 16 points.
2) Only gave up 1 TD.
3) Only gave up 95 rushing yards and no rushing TD's.

I'm not happy but at least it was a road game and against the AFC. 9-2 going against the Rams and Cardinals. All im hoping for is 13-3 and no letdowns against the division and I'll be a happy camper.

ninerfan
11-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Absolutely gutted by that game. On a bigger stage we could not have let yourselves down more. Where to start:

1. OL just got flat out molested all night & nobody stood up or got angry
2. Braylon - good luck getting a contract elsewhere you *****, my gran has more heart
3. Ginn - NEVER on the field for an offensive play again
4. VD - someone pls tell the coaches he suited up tonight. Any chance we get something to him the last 3 qtrs?
5. Secondary - the front 7 are hiding alot of deficiencies
6. Alex's numbers will be average but it wasn't his fault. When he wasn't running for his life we were dropping his passes or giving up on them (Braylon!!)

so frustrated i think I'm gonna spew

phlysac
11-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Yea but that should of at least been a first down though. Dam Gore block was clean and it was. Stupid refs

Ticky Tack, but it was called by letter...

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 16

Article 16 A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offense player (designated as A1
for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another
offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player in one of the circumstances described
in subsections (1) through (10) below.
(1) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while the defensive player is physically
engaged above the waist by the blocking attempt of A2.
(2) On a forward pass play in which A2 physically engages a defensive player above the waist
with a blocking attempt, A1 chops the defensive player after the contact by A2 has been
broken and while A2 is still confronting the defensive player.
(3) On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive
player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player
(a “lure”).
(4) On a forward pass play, A1 blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower, and
A2, simultaneously or immediately after the block by A1, engages the defensive player high.

Dammit Chilo.

phlysac
11-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Hard to nit-pick Alex escaping a sack but when the showed the reply close-up, his eyes were fixed to one side of the field. Like to see him look deeper in that instance. Romo does it and gets huge gains for the Cowgirls all the time. Thats my biggest gripe with Alex, doesn't see the entire field like good QBs do. Then he short-hops a easy throw to Gore as I type this....

This is where my confusion lies...

On one point you want him to elude the pressure and look downfield. The next you want him to recognize the blitz and get rid of it quickly.

If he always did option B, as you hope, he'd never have an opportunity to do option A, which you want, as well.

I agree he has average pocket awareness, but when that's the case, the O-Line can't be a historic civ.

Ness
11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Alot of it falls on Roman too. Where are the screens? Quick passes to the backs in the out of backfield? He's played right into the Ravens hands all night.
Yeah there were like no screens. There were no adjustments period. Very surprising.

Ness
11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
We'll have to see how Alex responds the next few games. And especially against the Steelers. They'll be bringing the heat all night too.

Brent
11-24-2011, 11:33 PM
I hope they stomp the Rams next week.

Mostly so we can use the "same ole sorry ass Rams" line.

binary
11-25-2011, 12:13 AM
If Chilo starts we're doomed.

Madirishman
11-25-2011, 12:28 AM
They were still in this game for how they played. Nobody really wowed but the D played the best; they just couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. It was also the most I've seen the Niners lose in the trenches on both sides of the ball. They beat the Niners at their exact game. Hats off to the Ravens for their effort tonight. Deck was stacked against the Niners and they still could have won it if they had any kind of flow on offense. Time to take the division next week and keep making adjustments for the playoffs!

Ness
11-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Having Bruce Miller next week will help. And hopefully Snyder can play. Rachal needs to be let-go in the offseason. He's not even a good backup.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Mike Mayock summed it up best: "They (Ravens) are just killing them at the point of attack." Tough loss but tip of the cap to the Ravens. They came out and blew us off the ball.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
11-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Having Bruce Miller next week will help. And hopefully Snyder can play. Rachal needs to be let-go in the offseason. He's not even a good backup.

Leave his ass in Baltimore.

edgrenade
11-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I didn't understand why Fangio did not blitz AT ALL

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 01:22 AM
This is where my confusion lies...

On one point you want him to elude the pressure and look downfield. The next you want him to recognize the blitz and get rid of it quickly.

If he always did option B, as you hope, he'd never have an opportunity to do option A, which you want, as well.

I agree he has average pocket awareness, but when that's the case, the O-Line can't be a historic civ.

I said when escapes from pressure and he's rolling to his right, he needs to look deep to intermediate first. That's not the same as standing in the pocket, facing the blitz. I don't understand how you could be confused. There are instances where he holds the ball too long when he sees the blitz coming his way pre-snap instead of just getting the ball out of his hands and avoiding a sack. And there are also instance when he escapes pressure(not necessarily a blitz) and he's rolling to his right and HAS TIME, his eyes always seemed fixed on a receiver running short. Those are usually times when the defense is vulnerable because he's escaped the pocket and the defense has been stretched because the LBs have to come up as he is outside the pocket, which creates big holes in coverage.

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 01:26 AM
If Chilo starts we're doomed.

+1

I hope the 10 days off will help aid him to getting back on the field but if Chilo starts for an extended amount of time, we are done. Its no coiendence the line started to improve the minute Chilo was benched. Synder isnt great, but he's a far superior pass protector than Chilo and its not even close.

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 01:43 AM
I didn't understand why Fangio did not blitz AT ALL

Four words.......Torrey Smith/Lee Evans. They mentioned it during the game and I noticed it as well, that Fangio hates to get beat for long passes over the top. That's we play soft alot of times on the back-end when most ppl(including myself) want us to scheme more and bring exotic blitzes. That's just who we are as of now. We play off alot on the back-end and we want to make QBs read coverages and throw across the middle and drive down the field. If you noticed, we played Dallas the same way. That's probably how we'll play Pittsburgh as well. Teams with good speed on the outside, Fangio likes to try to keep everything in front of the safties. Very Manusky-like which drives me crazy.....but I understand his train of thought. Im just a believer in you have to mix it up against the better teams. You have to match aggression with aggression at some point.

Ness
11-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Four words.......Torrey Smith/Lee Evans. They mentioned it during the game and I noticed it as well, that Fangio hates to get beat for long passes over the top. That's we play soft alot of times on the back-end when most ppl(including myself) want us to scheme more and bring exotic blitzes. That's just who we are as of now. We play off alot on the back-end and we want to make QBs read coverages and throw across the middle and drive down the field. If you noticed, we played Dallas the same way. That's probably how we'll play Pittsburgh as well. Teams with good speed on the outside, Fangio likes to try to keep everything in front of the safties. Very Manusky-like which drives me crazy.....but I understand his train of thought. Im just a believer in you have to mix it up against the better teams. You have to match aggression with aggression at some point.
That's why I thought he wasn't blitzing. He should have mixed it up though. By the fourth quarter you should have known what Flacco was getting way too much time to throw the football. I don't like this Nolan-esque approach to the defensive game. You get beat so what. Hit Joe Flacco. Screw up his flow. I'd rather take my chances hitting him and potentially getting beat deep than just allow him to throw over the middle for a first down on every third down attempt hoping we'll get lucky and a Raven's receiver drops a pass. It's the same crap that happened in the Dallas game and made Romo and Kitna look good. And they don't have burners like the Ravens and Steelers do. So there really isn't an excuse.

Ness
11-25-2011, 02:17 AM
What about Daniel Kilgore? Can't he be inserted for Rachal?

Brent
11-25-2011, 02:24 AM
What about Daniel Kilgore? Can't he be inserted for Rachal?
I'd rather seen him or Boone attempt to play RG than Chilo Rachal.

Ness
11-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Leave his ass in Baltimore.

If he simply doesn't touch that defender on the chop block Ginn scores a touchdown and it scores. Unbelievable. Rachal seriously screwed us over.

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 04:52 AM
If he simply doesn't touch that defender on the chop block Ginn scores a touchdown and it scores. Unbelievable. Rachal seriously screwed us over.

It was also SUUUCCH a ticky-tack call. The rule says you can't come high to block a player being engaged low. Gore had already blocked him and he was already on his way to the ground when he put ONE hand on him as he was decinding to the turf. So he wasn't engaged and he technically didn't block him, as he had two feet off the ground. Horrible call. But again, why do you even lay a hand on him if your Chilo? Just a complete brain fart on his part.

Ness
11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
I'd rather seen him or Boone attempt to play RG than Chilo Rachal.

Yeah I'm wondering what the deal is. Did Rachal really look that much better in the limited training camp? It just seems too much on a coincidence that the line played better when Rachal left early in the season and played terrible when he was in the lineup, which was the majority of the game.

abaddon41_80
11-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Rachal deserves almost all of the blame for last night's loss, and it is rare to be able to say that about a single offensive lineman, but Whitner should be mentioned as well. Had what looked like a great angle on Evans on that third down and was beat in coverage for the touchdown.

phlysac
11-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I said when escapes from pressure and he's rolling to his right, he needs to look deep to intermediate first.

I'm confused because you said that you want him to get rid of it quickly when pressure comes.

If he gets rid of it quickly, the opportunity to ellude pressure and hit intermediate to deep routes will never present itself.

Each drop-back is it's own unique case and can't be generalized for the most part. Different play-call, different formations, different personnel, different protection, etc, etc.

I completely understand your want for him to be more "cool in the pocket" like Brees, and more "hit the long ball when rolling from pressure" like Roethlisberger. Completely understand. However, that's what few QBs do. Even less do both. Alex Smith isn't elite in that sense and likely won't be.

phlysac
11-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Boone is too valuable as a swing tackle to put him at Guard. Kilgore and Person were added for this. If they're not ready, the waiver wire is always available.

Madirishman
11-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Kilgore and Person seem to be red-shirting this year, gaining weight and getting ready to be key back ups-fill-in starters next year. Harbaugh & Co. have trimmed most of the other fat off the team; it's safe to say that Rachal will not be a Niners for the '12 season.

It was a very ticky-tack call (along with a few others) to get rid of a game-changing TD play for a 'judgement call like that, but the Niners seemed to not take many more shots downfield after that. Their secondary was vulnerable and has been getting beat in recent games; thus why their gameplan was to blitz so much.

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm confused because you said that you want him to get rid of it quickly when pressure comes.

If he gets rid of it quickly, the opportunity to ellude pressure and hit intermediate to deep routes will never present itself.

Each drop-back is it's own unique case and can't be generalized for the most part. Different play-call, different formations, different personnel, different protection, etc, etc.

I completely understand your want for him to be more "cool in the pocket" like Brees, and more "hit the long ball when rolling from pressure" like Roethlisberger. Completely understand. However, that's what few QBs do. Even less do both. Alex Smith isn't elite in that sense and likely won't be.

Your making this more difficult than it is. I said, when he reads the blitz, PRE-SNAP, he needs to get the ball out quicker. Pressure doesn't always mean a blitz. When you get those exotic looks up front, don't fool around get the ball out of your hands if you see the guys struggling upfront with mis-cummunicatiin. You have to shorten your drop and get the ball out quicker. Too often he just drops back as if the blitz will get picked-up. At some point.....maybe after zone-blitz sack #3 or #4, you would think he would understand that they're having problems upfront and just get the ball out quickly.

Now that has nothing to do with when he escapes pressure(i.e, not a blitz) and he is scaning the field, to look deep to intermediate first. Like when escaped the Ngata sack, and he threw short for the first down. Its wasn't a blitz, it was a four man rush. He escaped the grasp of Ngata and he was rolling to the right looking to make a play. His eyes were locked on to one side of field short. I would like him to look to get the ball deeper under those circumstances. He doesn't have to be Big Ben, he just needs to be trained to not drop his eyes. Its not impossible for him to learn to incoperate that into his game.

VAfy-ya
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Kilgore and Person seem to be red-shirting this year, gaining weight and getting ready to be key back ups-fill-in starters next year. Harbaugh & Co. have trimmed most of the other fat off the team; it's safe to say that Rachal will not be a Niners for the '12 season.

It was a very ticky-tack call (along with a few others) to get rid of a game-changing TD play for a 'judgement call like that, but the Niners seemed to not take many more shots downfield after that. Their secondary was vulnerable and has been getting beat in recent games; thus why their gameplan was to blitz so much.

Might have to burn their red-shirts. Rachal is not the answer. I wouldn't mind seeing Davis slide over to RG and let Boone man the RT spot. But Davis was making such huge strides these last few weeks, you don't want to interupt that progression though. Jimbaugh has always said the best 5 guys will start and I don't see how Rachal is better than Boone at this point. Something's gotta give and giving up a Raven's franchise record 9 sacks(and to his brother no less) should have Jimbaugh fixated on the O-Line for the next few days. But if Synder is a able to go in a week, then its a moot point. Stay tuned.....

Ness
11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh no. Hopefully Snyder isn't out.

--Right guard Adam Snyder sustained a hamstring injury that knocked him out of the game. When asked if he fears Snyder will be out for a long period of time, Harbaugh said, "I don't know exactly where it stands at this moment. Don't fear it. (Snyder is a) guy that bounces back quick and Chilo is up and ready to go."

When asked if Alex Boone has the ability to play guard and compete with Rachal for the job, Harbaugh said, "We believe in Chilo Rachal. So we feel good with him at that position. If it's prolonged with Snyder, then Chilo will step up."

dan77733
11-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Rachal is an UFA after the season and I'll be pissed if we re-sign him especially if Snyder is allowed to leave. I rather have any one of you guys out there at RG instead of Rachal. UGH. I'm so disgusted with that guy.

And I dont see us re-signing WR Braylon Edwards. He's done and appears to have nothing left whatsoever. At least Crabtree is playing better and better and I love those WR screens towards the sideline.

Also, is it just me or is Hunter more explosive than Gore right now?

phlysac
11-25-2011, 08:28 PM
And I dont see us re-signing WR Braylon Edwards. He's done and appears to have nothing left whatsoever.
He's still recovering from knee surgery.

Also, is it just me or is Hunter more explosive than Gore right now?
right now? Hunter is a more explosive athlete, period. It doesn't mean he's as good of an all-around RB. At least, not yet.

Ness
11-26-2011, 01:27 AM
I hope this doesn't lay a blueprint for other teams. Wouldn't be surprised if the Rams just pinned their ears back in the next game and kept sending five rushers every passing play. The offense needs to adjust and start throwing in screens and slants to offset some of those aggressive tactics we saw from Baltimore last night.

Ness
11-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Oh and from Matt Barrows blog. Looks like Rachal may be starting in place of Snyder.

Snyder was limping badly after the game, which suggests his availability for next Sunday's game against the Rams also is in doubt.

At least the next game is a home game against the Rams after 11 days of rest.

Madirishman
11-26-2011, 10:15 AM
He's still recovering from knee surgery.

right now? Hunter is a more explosive athlete, period. It doesn't mean he's as good of an all-around RB. At least, not yet.

Hunter is the speed back compliment to Gore that I've wanted the team to get for a few years now but he's not on the same level as Gore. Gore is still among the elite at this position, but likely only has a few years left (at best) of solid production. They'll need to replace Giore with a more all-around back as I believe Hunter has talent but is most effective as a change-of-pace guy. Hunter's pass pro has been better than I would have imagined, given his size. The kid has heart and you can tell he loves to play football.

dan77733
11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
If Edwards is still recovering from knee surgery, whats the point in playing him? Especially since he's not doing a damn thing. Hell, right now, I would rather see Williams start opposite Crabtree.

Hopefully, Rachal gets injured in practice and Kilgore can start at RG since I rather see him start and play instead of Rachal.

Hunter is a rookie and damn explosive running the ball and in pass protection. Personally, I think that he's been more consistent than Gore this season.

Borat
11-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Hunter is a rookie and damn explosive running the ball and in pass protection. Personally, I think that he's been more consistent than Gore this season.

Personally, I think you're crazy. Gore had 5 straight weeks of 100 yards + a TD. That's about as consistent as you can get.

VAfy-ya
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I hope this doesn't lay a blueprint for other teams. Wouldn't be surprised if the Rams just pinned their ears back in the next game and kept sending five rushers every passing play. The offense needs to adjust and start throwing in screens and slants to offset some of those aggressive tactics we saw from Baltimore last night.

We've been a good offense against the blitz all year. Thursday was a abberation more than anything. It wasn't just the blitz , it was that it was virtually impossible to block Suggs and Ngata. And McPhee played outstanding as a reserved. Really liked him in last year's draft. We won't face another front that stout at the POA all year, including Pittsburgh. The blitz is much more effective when you have guys upfront that overwhelm blockers. I'm not worried about the blitz. Synder's injury is much more important at this point. The O-Line just doesn't play with cohension with Rachal, I don't care how coach spins it. Its evident on the field. We need Synder healthy....

Madirishman
11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
The Ravens have some elite players that played elite. That's when talent combined with scheme can overcome scheme.

Ness
11-26-2011, 11:23 PM
We've been a good offense against the blitz all year. Thursday was a abberation more than anything. It wasn't just the blitz , it was that it was virtually impossible to block Suggs and Ngata. And McPhee played outstanding as a reserved. Really liked him in last year's draft. We won't face another front that stout at the POA all year, including Pittsburgh. The blitz is much more effective when you have guys upfront that overwhelm blockers. I'm not worried about the blitz. Synder's injury is much more important at this point. The O-Line just doesn't play with cohension with Rachal, I don't care how coach spins it. Its evident on the field. We need Synder healthy....

We may play the Saints in the playoffs. If that happens they'll probably blitz the hell out of Alex Smith. I don't want what happened in the preseason to happen in the playoffs. Alex needs to make defenses pay for that kind of aggression.

Ness
11-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Here is NFL Network's Sound FX on the 49ers miscues. It's actually interesting to see Alex Smith mic'd up and the coaching staff in the press box mic'd up.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d8247c506/Sound-FX-49ers-miscues?module=HP11_content_stream

VAfy-ya
11-28-2011, 05:59 AM
We may play the Saints in the playoffs. If that happens they'll probably blitz the hell out of Alex Smith. I don't want what happened in the preseason to happen in the playoffs. Alex needs to make defenses pay for that kind of aggression.

And he has all year. Check his numbers versus the blitz before the Ravens game. Like I said, it was a one gme thing. The Raven are thin at CB. Foxworth, Carr, and a backup are hurt. Made too much sense for them to not try to throw off our timing by giving us exotic looks and different blitzes on third down. We just never adjusted. The Saints can't pull off what the Ravens did because they don't have the kind of talent up front or on the edge like the Ravens. We're a totally different team than the one they faced in the pre-season. They wouldn't be nearly as sucessful with that same philosphy. And the Saints are horrible against the run so why throw when could just run Gore and Hunter all day? That was one of the the things about the Ravens game that gets overlooked.....they're a good team versus the run, which is why we were in so many 3rd and longs.

Ness
11-28-2011, 06:12 AM
And he has all year. Check his numbers versus the blitz before the Ravens game. Like I said, it was a one gme thing. The Raven are thin at CB. Foxworth, Carr, and a backup are hurt. Made too much sense for them to not try to throw off our timing by giving us exotic looks and different blitzes on third down. We just never adjusted. The Saints can't pull off what the Ravens did because they don't have the kind of talent up front or on the edge like the Ravens. We're a totally different team than the one they faced in the pre-season. They wouldn't be nearly as sucessful with that same philosphy. And the Saints are horrible against the run so why throw when could just run Gore and Hunter all day? That was one of the the things about the Ravens game that gets overlooked.....they're a good team versus the run, which is why we were in so many 3rd and longs.

True. We could run the ball on them all day and play ball control offense. If we're at home I think we'd be able to pull it off consistently. At the same time I think of what they did against the Texans and just kept scoring on will against them and I believe Houston still has the number one ranked defense in the NFL. Maybe not. Oh and Jimmy Graham scares me. I don't think we have anyone that could cover him with his size and speed.

VAfy-ya
11-28-2011, 02:33 PM
True. We could run the ball on them all day and play ball control offense. If we're at home I think we'd be able to pull it off consistently. At the same time I think of what they did against the Texans and just kept scoring on will against them and I believe Houston still has the number one ranked defense in the NFL. Maybe not. Oh and Jimmy Graham scares me. I don't think we have anyone that could cover him with his size and speed.

Very true about Graham. We don't have anyone who could slow him down.