PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated prospects?

Matthew Jones
11-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Who are your most underrated prospects in the draft this year? Here are a few that came to mind for me:

QB Nick Foles, Arizona

Doesn't have a big arm but is a master at operating the short passing game. Very impressed with his performances this year, especially against USC.

RB Dan Herron, Ohio St.

Extremely hard runner who could give a team a few productive seasons. Not especially talented but running style is reminiscent of Marion Barber/BJGE.

WR DeVier Posey, Ohio St.

Was considered a second or third-rounder before being suspended and has rehabbed his stock well in a short amount of time. Should go in the third.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame*

Not getting any first-round love but if he declares he could go very high. Big and athletic; Notre Dame has used him split wide, in the slot, and inline.

DT Billy Winn, Boise St.

Boise St. has used Winn as a DT, DE, and OLB this season; projects best as a five-technique in the NFL. Great ability to fit through tight spaces.

DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

Doesn't get enough credit for his elite burst off of the line of scrimmage. Reminds me of Sedrick Ellis; can play either UT or NT in a 4-3 defense.

NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

Deserves to go in the 11-15 range. Massive run-stuffer who is much more well-conditioned and athletic than he gets credit for; top NT prospect.

DE Andre Branch, Clemson

Has recorded 14 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks to this point. Experience out of a two-point stance and does a great job setting the edge and anchoring.

DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina

Could go in the top 15 picks; has taken handoffs and played DE, DT, and OLB. Uses an excellent interior spin and that's not his only quality move.

DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*

Great size at 6'7", 260. Has dropped into coverage extensively and stepped up his production after a slow start to the season. 4-3 LE or 3-4 OLB.

CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*

Has had a somewhat disappointing year but is very aggressive and has a long frame. Athleticism and return ability should make him a second-round pick.

OSUGiants17
11-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Jake Bequette DE out of Arkansas. Dude has the size(6'5, 271), and speed to be a legit NFL DE. In just 8 games this year he has 8 sacks, he put up 7 last year and 5 as a sophmore. He is most likely a 3rd round pick, but with a good combine and good game vs LSU he could go as early as round 2.

shylo3716
11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
David Wilson- I feel as though he is a better back then what Ryan Williams was at Tech. Hard runner up the gut, change of pace back who has the ability to take it the distance on any carry.

Chris Rainey- Typical scatback, but he does damage.

Jarrett Boykin- All-Time reception leader in Tech history, who happens to just be reliable as all outdoors.

Sean Spence- True definition of a LEADER...Last of a dying breed.

Mike Harris- CB opposite of Rhodes in that FSU Defense, tends to get overshadowed because of other guys in the secondary.

onejayhawk
11-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Deserves to go in the 11-15 range. Massive run-stuffer who is much more well-conditioned and athletic than he gets credit for; top NT prospect.

Wrong thread. This is the underrated, not the overrated. Ta'amu is a nice mid to late 2nd day option.

I will throw out one that Scott has in his hot list:
Kendall Wright WR, Baylor

Smallish, but both fast and quick. Outstanding football IQ. Knows how to find open space, though usually double covered. Outstanding adjustments to the ball in the air. A black Steve Smith.

J

princefielder28
11-24-2011, 03:13 PM
my underrated list

QB Chandler Harnish
WR Dwight Jones
OT Matt McCants
DE Cam Johnson
CB Casey Hayward
S Winston Guy

Ta'amu isn't underrated in my opinion. He got shutdown when he went up against DeCastro in the Stanford game and that's the best way to really dictate where a prospect stands, when he goes up against the elite. Gilmore is another one; he has all the ability in the world but that needs to translate to the football field more.

thegreatone
11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Tank Carder:
He isn't elite in any aspect of his game, but just seems to be very fundamentally sound, and I really like his instincts as well. He looks like the kind of player who will have a long an productive NFL career.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Sean Spence.

DraftSavant
11-24-2011, 04:00 PM
SHHHEEEAAAAAAAA (in before Tackle)

cmarq83
11-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Harrison Smith

TheSlinger
11-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Courtney Upshaw
AJ Jenkins
Riley Reiff
Luke Kuechly
Casey Hayward
Marvin McNutt
Mike Martin
Delano Howell

wicket
11-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Harrison Smith

if there ever was a QB of a defense he is that guy. underrated athletisism, very smart kid. hard hitter, allround good player. I cannot see a way how he doest become a quick contributor tbh

bruschis4all
11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Levonte David. Whenever I see Nebraska, all he does is make tackles. Defense is basically get the guy with the ball. And, he does it well. In the new NFL where you have to tackle in space there is room for this guy. Even at 6'1" 220lb.

cmarq83
11-24-2011, 06:37 PM
if there ever was a QB of a defense he is that guy. underrated athletisism, very smart kid. hard hitter, allround good player. I cannot see a way how he doest become a quick contributor tbh

Yeah, watching him you see him in on every play. He's quick to diagnose and is great in run support. He had 7 interceptions last year, but unfortunately has none this year. I was watching the game against Michigan State earlier in the year and he was literally all over the field.

I think the guy should be a 2nd-3rd round type prospect once the draft rolls around. He's 6'2" 215 and probably will test in the 4.5 range for his 40 time. It's really surprising he doesn't get more publicity seeing as how he's the leader of that Notre Dame team. I'd like the Patriots to get the guy in the 3rd round. He reminds me a lot of the guy in my sig in Pat Chung.

ElectricEye
11-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Andre Branch has gone from perhaps one of the more overrated prospects in the draft to one of the more underrated ones. I don't think he's a first rounder; only one year of substantial productivity and a lack of refinement kind of holds him back from getting there. The athletic ability and burst is real though, and closing speed certainly counts for something.

RaiderNation
11-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Jake Bequette DE fron Arkansas is starting to rise many boards and could be a solid 2nd/3rd round guy if he tests well. He has 6 sacks in the last 3 games and has shown a explosive 1st step, as well as able to get a few TFL on the RBs.

Vaylor
11-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Wrong thread. This is the underrated, not the overrated. Ta'amu is a nice mid to late 2nd day option.

I will throw out one that Scott has in his hot list:
Kendall Wright WR, Baylor

Smallish, but both fast and quick. Outstanding football IQ. Knows how to find open space, though usually double covered. Outstanding adjustments to the ball in the air. A black Steve Smith.

J
I don't get it.

rawdawg
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Hmm. On my underrated list would be:

Qb- Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. -- I don't see too many differences between Cousins and Christian Ponder (who was a top 15 pick) and Andy Dalton (who's had a very strong rookie year). Granted there projects to be better talent at the top this year than last year, but Wes Bunting has him as the 9th ranked senior QB. That's insane to me. Only thing elite about him is his leadership, but I wouldn't put it past him winning a lot of games in the NFL, and he still has room to develop as he puts on muscle. I could see him having several years like Alex Smith is having this year.

OT- Zebrie Sanders, Florida St. -- Don't see much difference between him and Tyron Smith. Smith is a little more athletic than Sanders, but Sanders is probably more polished and more likely to be a positive factor in the run game. Getting the experience at LT this year is going to help his stock. If James Carpenter can go in the 1st round, Sanders should be a lock for top 20.

TE- Ladarius Green, LA Lafayette. -- With Jimmy Graham being one of the top receivers overall in the NFL, Green is a guy that could really shoot up the boards at the combine. He's not quite the athlete that Graham is, but he's a huge target at 6-6 and has some big play ability. Would not be surprised to see him run in the 4.58 to 4.62 range, which would be excellent for a TE. Much more football experience than Julius Thomas who went in the 4th last year. Think he's a steal in the 4th and has potential to sneak into day 2 with a good showing in Indy.

LBs- Chris Marve, Jerry Franklin, Danny Trevathan. -- Marve and Franklin are 4-year starters. Trevathan has started 3 years. All in the SEC. So, that's big time experience. All 3 are leaders, strong tacklers, and most importantly, I think they are 3 of the top 5 LBs in pass defense in this entire draft. I think Marve ends up like former Vandy MLBs, Jamie Duncan and Shelton Quarles who were unheralded players, but quietly very key figures on some good Bucs defenses. And when all is said and done he's going to have an 8-10 year career on a bunch of top 10 defenses.

CB- Chase Minnifield, Virginia. -- May not be underrated in the sense those 3 LBs are. But I don't understand why he's not he' not a shoe-in for the 1st round. He doesn't have the upside of Claiborne/Gilmore. He doesn't have the ranginess of Kirkpatrick. He doesn't have the muscle of Dennard. But I think he's quietly the most pro ready CB in this draft. He has good height at 6'. He has mid-to-high 4.4 speed. He has the NFL bloodlines. Maybe not as flashy as the rest of this class, but no reason he can't be the best.

sorry for the long post.

underscore
11-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Worthy is underrated? I'd put him in the overrated bin. He's had a very pedestrian season.

Sloopy
11-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm gunna throw Brandon Jenkins in here. From what I've seen, pretty solid pass rusher in a weak class and is better in run support than he is credited for

SenorGato
11-25-2011, 12:42 AM

Yes. A very serious prospect for the teens. Someone at some point will throw out Ngata...looks like I just did....

fenikz
11-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Gerell Robinson, WR, ASU

6'4 220 with great hands and the innate ability to always get to the ball. Depending on his 40 and route running could see him going day 2. Also happens to be an excellent blocker, Plaxico Burress is a decent comparison

http://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/13_2011_uofa_fbc_1508w.jpg

Coombser
11-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Chase Minnifield

Leon Sandcastle
11-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Happy to see Mike Harris and Ladarius Green mentioned. There going to be very good players at the next level.

Babylon
11-25-2011, 07:35 PM
He's probably not really underrated because he's being talked about as a top 15 type but Luke Kuechly is unfreaking believable. I'm usually quick to say you dont take an ILB that early but this guy deserves it. His drops and the angle he takes to the ball is as good as i've ever seen.

draftguru151
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
He's probably not really underrated because he's being talked about as a top 15 type but Luke Kuechly is unfreaking believable. I'm usually quick to say you dont take an ILB that early but this guy deserves it. His drops and the angle he takes to the ball is as good as i've ever seen.

He's, at worst, the 2nd best defensive player in this draft. And I say 2nd because CB is a ton more important than MLB.

onejayhawk
11-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't get it.

Doh. I started to say a black Chris Collingsworth, but switched to Steve Smith. I thought Collingsworth's playing days might be too far back, but I like the comparison.

J

49erNation85
11-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Kellen Moore.

Despite how some of you think of him he has good that mobile style of QB play and is very accurate he does lake the long ball skills but can go deep if he has just not 60 yards like some . I hope he gets an invite for the senior bowl and gets draft 3rd or 4th pick for at least a back up / coaching job for scout team.

keylime_5
11-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Big Mike Adams
Kendall Wright
Vinny Curry
DeVier Posey

bored of education
11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Gerell Robinson, WR, ASU

6'4 220 with great hands and the innate ability to always get to the ball. Depending on his 40 and route running could see him going day 2. Also happens to be an excellent blocker, Plaxico Burress is a decent comparison

http://asunews.asu.edu/files/images/13_2011_uofa_fbc_1508w.jpg

you *****. I wanted to post about this ninja here

keep an eye on this ninja tonight

bored of education
11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Kellen Moore.

Despite how some of you think of him he has good that mobile style of QB play and is very accurate he does lake the long ball skills but can go deep if he has just not 60 yards like some . I hope he gets an invite for the senior bowl and gets draft 3rd or 4th pick for at least a back up / coaching job for scout team.

He won't be drafted before the 6th round.

TACKLE
11-26-2011, 03:53 AM
you *****. I wanted to post about this ninja here

keep an eye on this ninja tonight

Yeah Gerrell is a freak who has been tearing it up this year.

Another freak WR I would add to the underrated list is Rueben Randle. It's surprising that he's gets so overlooked consider he was rivals #2 overall prospect coming out of high school and he plays on the #1 team in CFB. He's 6'3, he's explosive, he can stretch the field with his speed and can also work underneath. He also has great hands and body control to go along with a lot of upside as he's only been playing WR for three years now. If he had even slightly competent QB play, I think he'd be getting first round hype because of his talent.

Two other names I'll throw out there...Miles Burris, LB from SDSU has been a force the past two seasons. He's an athletic freak with the range and speed to make any play sideline to sideline but is also a dangerous threat off the edge and consistently makes plays in the backfield. Vinny Curry still continues to get overlooked. The guy has been arguably the most dominant defensive player in college football over the course of the past two seasons. All the guy does is make plays and create havoc in the backfield. As far as I'm concerned, he's the best DE in the class and is certainly worth a Top 20 pick.

draftguru151
11-26-2011, 07:31 AM
I asked fenikz about Robinson the first month of the season and he said he was no one so I stopped paying attention. :(

wicket
11-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Hmm. On my underrated list would be:

Qb- Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. -- I don't see too many differences between Cousins and Christian Ponder (who was a top 15 pick) and Andy Dalton (who's had a very strong rookie year). Granted there projects to be better talent at the top this year than last year, but Wes Bunting has him as the 9th ranked senior QB. That's insane to me. Only thing elite about him is his leadership, but I wouldn't put it past him winning a lot of games in the NFL, and he still has room to develop as he puts on muscle. I could see him having several years like Alex Smith is having this year.

As much as I like your other picsk I have one HUGE issue with Cousins, he doesnt have that amnesia that good QBs have for bad plays, when things start to unravel he gets phased(fased?) by the pressure

rawdawg
11-26-2011, 01:37 PM
As much as I like your other picsk I have one HUGE issue with Cousins, he doesnt have that amnesia that good QBs have for bad plays, when things start to unravel he gets phased(fased?) by the pressure

Same could be said for Romo and Eli Manning, and they are pretty successful NFL QBs. I think the key is the good greatly outweighing the bad.