PDA

View Full Version : Mock I (Some explanations until I got lazy)

ChiFan24
11-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Tried to project value, so there may be some surprise reaches/fallers. Nothing too extreme though.

1. Colts – Andrew Luck QB Stanford
The decision is a little easier since this mock doesn’t involve trades. However, I can easily see Luck pulling an Eli here – Indy isn’t a very attractive landing spot in general, and Luck shouldn’t want to waste a season sitting behind Peyton Manning doing nothing when he could be putting up some pretty good numbers. He could easily threaten to stay in school, too. My gut feeling says no Luck for Indy, but that could just be the Polian hate talking.

2. Rams – Matt Kalil OT Southern California
Only two candidates for the Rams, who I suspect will be coached by Josh McDaniels next season – Kalil and Justin Blackmon. Factoring in value and a decently talented receiving corps featuring two guys they just drafted and Brandon Lloyd, I’d assume they go with Kalil, and slide Saffold to guard (giving Jason Smith another year at RT).

3. Jaguars – Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
Not much of a decision here. Trent Richardson is a darkhorse, but there’s no way to justify asking Blaine Gabbert throw to Jason Hill again next season. I don’t love Gabbert’s chances either way, but with Blackmon, he’d have every chance.

4. Vikings – Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
This situation screams trade down, but again, I can’t do that without knowing the draft order. The pick is between two reaches – Martin and Michael Floyd. I would say that the Vikings are hurting worse on the offensive line, so they grab Martin.

5. Redskins – Matt Barkley QB Southern California
In real life, the Skins will not be able to get Barkley at #5. At the very least, they’d have to throw a third rounder at Minnesota to avoid being jumped by Cleveland/KC/Miami/Seattle. In this scenario, it’s not a problem, and the Skins get a QB that I think Shanahan will grade similarly to Luck.

6. Browns – Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
The consolation prize for those that miss out on Barkley. I haven’t been completely sold on Griffin; I need to see a little more before I can form an opinion. But as of this week, he’s the leading Heisman candidate, and that’s going to prevent him from slipping under the radar. Griffin certainly has the athleticism that Holmgren likes and his upside is way higher than Colt McCoy’s.

7. Chiefs – Riley Reiff OT Iowa
The Chiefs lose out on the top QB’s, but I have my doubts they give up on Cassel anyway. They should take Tyler Wilson here, but they probably won’t. Instead they take advantage of that Piolo-Ferentz relationship that caused everyone to mock Bulaga instead of Berry a couple years ago. It was stupid then, but this time, there’s no Eric Berry.

8. Cardinals – Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB Louisiana State
I almost wanted to make a massive reach for Zebrie Sanders here because I think his stock will rise, but probably not this high. Instead I’ll go with a guy who can rise into the top ten. Way more talent than Whitney Mercilus, but also a lot more raw and undersized. Arizona should have a beast of an OLB within a couple years.

9. Panthers – Morris Claiborne CB Louisiana State
The Panthers are weakest at DT, but they already have a couple young guys there including a guy I like a lot in Terrell McClain. Without any real value there, they take the best defender available. Claiborne makes Captain Munnerlynn a full time nickelback, which suits his talents nicely.

10. Dolphins – Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas
The Dolphins have some other needs and their QB situation is not terrible, but it’s not great, and Tyler Wilson is looking good against LSU as I type. I expect him to rise up the boards and surpass Landry Jones in the eyes of scouts.

11. Seahawks – Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
Trent Richardson is awfully tempting here but if the Richard Sherman/Brandon Browner combo is any indication, Pete Carroll has a thing for big, tall corners. With Kirkpatrick, he would have a good one to add to a pretty talented young secondary.

12. Bills – Vinny Curry OLB Marshall
I saw this in another mock and I really liked the pick. Buffalo desperately needs a pass rush and theres no better pure pass rusher than Curry.

13. Buccaneers – Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama
Thought about Trent Richardson, but they would probably be better off grabbing a corner. Jenkins might be the best one in this draft.

14. Chargers – Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
I don’t think Vincent Jackson will be back, and Floyd is the best player available. Pretty natural fit.

15. Broncos – Trent Richardson RB Alabama
Thought about DeCastro, but Richardson is a superior value. Not sold on RB to Denver though.

16. Titans – David DeCastro OG Stanford
Getting tired of commenting…

17. Eagles – Devon Still DT Penn State

18. Jets – Zebrie Sanders OT Florida State
Not sure what the verdict is on Vlad Ducasse, but Sanders is a mauling RT that would fit the Jets nicely. I can see them moving up for Trent Richardson in this spot.

19. Lions – Mike Adams OT Ohio State
Not necessarily the BPA, but close enough that Mayhew would diverge from his usual BPA strategy.

20. Giants – Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
Coples is the best talent available – I think he’ll fall, but probably not out of the first round. Coples makes Osi Umenyiora tradeable.

21. Bengals (f/Oak) – Lamar Miller RB Miami

22. Browns (f/Atl) – Reuben Randle WR Louisiana State
Should be talked about a lot more than he is.

23. Cowboys – Markelle Martin S Oklahoma State

24. Texans – Dontari Poe DT Memphis

25. Bengals – Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi State

26. 49ers – Nick Perry OLB Southern California
Their needs kind of depend on who they let walk in free agency, so I just stuck them with someone I didn’t see falling to the second round.

27. Steelers – Courtney Upshaw ILB/OLB Alabama

28. Packers – Billy Winn DE Boise State

29. Bears – Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
Wishful thinking with this draft spot, but I can’t project two playoff losses to the Packers in a row. Mercilus has the best value at a need position, though I’m not crazy about the pick. I want a receiver for the Bears, but I’m not going anywhere near Alshon Jeffery.

30. Patriots – Peter Konz C Wisconsin

31. Patriots (f/NO) – Nick Toon WR Wisconsin

32. Ravens – Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College
Replacement for the newly retired Ray Lewis

coordinator0
11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Burfict over Keuchly for Baltimore every time. Te'o as well (for me at least).

shylo3716
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Where is Burfict & Te'o?

ellsy82
11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Dunno if I'd take Upshaw at 27. Seems more value there at the position. Maybe Cordy Glenn (which I don't even like as a prospect), but offensive line should be prioritized.

Edit: Peter Konz is out w/ injury. Probably won't declare for the draft.

49erNation85
11-25-2011, 07:53 PM
sorry but OLB won't be a need for SF. Either a wide out or CB there instead.

T-RICH49
11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Wilson or Jones over Reiff.QB is top priority

thebow305
11-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Nice Miami pick

Matthew Jones
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
It would be frustrating for New England to draft two offensive players in a row. Peter Konz seems unlikely to declare now that he's been missing games with that ankle injury. Junior centers rarely declare. Toon seems like a slight reach and it would be nice to see New England give Taylor Price a chance at emerging as a starter in the offense.

ChicagoBearsVet23
11-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Kuechly, Jeffery, Konz or even Brandon Jenkins are all better picks

ChiFan24
11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Kuechly, Jeffery, Konz or even Brandon Jenkins are all better picks

Thanks Jerry.

SickwithIt1010
11-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Burfict or Kuechly to the Eagles please.

ChiFan24
11-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I gotta be honest, after thinking about it, this is probably the most half-assed mock I've ever put on here. Just wanted to get one done. I need to watch more college football.

prock
11-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Martin is quite the reach top 5.