PDA

View Full Version : Dre Kirkpatrick as a Safety

Duffman57
11-26-2011, 03:09 AM
We all know this Safety class is the worst in MANY years to say the very least, but does anyone think that Safety is the best position for Kirkpatrick to play at ala Malcolm Jenkins? He would obviously have to bulk up, but he easily has the frame to do that, he would be a great ballhawk, and if you watched the Arkansas game, he's shown the physicality to be an inforcer over the middle when the time comes. He's big, and more importantly long enough to cover TE's (if he bulks up like he will have to, to play in the NFL PERIOD, even at CB).

I feel like its actually a good fit for him, and he could be a big impact maker at Safety in all aspects.

TACKLE
11-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Although I usually do not subscribe to the thinking that every big corner should be moved to safety, Kirkpatrick's skill set and his physicality project very well to FS.

shylo3716
11-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I love this topic of discussion year in & year out.

shylo3716
11-26-2011, 08:32 AM
The big question now is, who takes a look at him in the 1st Round 15-20 range as a FS instead of a CB, because he would go higher as a CB in the draft, anywhere from 10-15.

Tell me if I am wrong, but these are potential interest teams I see Kirkpatrick pulling as a FS. (Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Dallas)

bucfan12
11-26-2011, 09:59 AM
The big question now is, who takes a look at him in the 1st Round 15-20 range as a FS instead of a CB, because he would go higher as a CB in the draft, anywhere from 10-15.

Tell me if I am wrong, but these are potential interest teams I see Kirkpatrick pulling as a FS. (Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Dallas)

Not Tampa. They already have Tanard Jackson.

I think Kirkpatrick will start his career as a CB, similar to Antrelle Rolle until they switch him to FS.

shylo3716
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Not Tampa. They already have Tanard Jackson.

I think Kirkpatrick will start his career as a CB, similar to Antrelle Rolle until they switch him to FS.

I see no need to keep him at CB.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Kirkpatrick has the necessary athleticism for cornerback, there's no need to move him to safety. He's most valuable as a cornerback because that's where the tape is for him and where he is the most comfortable.

shylo3716
11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Kirkpatrick has the necessary athleticism for cornerback, there's no need to move him to safety. He's most valuable as a cornerback because that's where the tape is for him and where he is the most comfortable.

Same could have been said about Antrel Rolle.

I think it would be a brilliant move on his behalf to slide over.

DraftSavant
11-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I've been saying this since last year. Malcolm Jenkins remix. He simply isn't going to be an NFL corner unless he goes to a heavy Cover 3/6 team like Pittsburgh. And even the Steelers have been running way more man coverage than in year's past.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM
The times I've seen him play he's reminded me of Charles Tillman. And every one of Tillmans 9 seasons with the Bears people have wanted to move him to Safety
but the bigger the Magatrons get, the bigger Corners need to be.

Duffman57
11-26-2011, 04:29 PM
For the record, i'm with TACKLE here, that i dont subscribe to the theory that just because he's a big corner, he's a fit for CB. But i just see the skillset to be a better Safety (ala Rolle/Jenkins) where he's just SO physical and will be that enforcer in the secondary, but will also be that ballhawk. I just think that he's a top 15 pick at either, but he can play both depending on what the team drafts him needs.

And for the record, i would add the Chargers to the list of teams that need a Safety.