PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Mike Tomlin

Breed
11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Do you guys think Tomlin is a good head coach or did he just inherit a good squad already created by Bill Cowher? Might sound dumb but i just thought about it looking at Indianapolis right now... Most people thought Jim Caldwell was a head coaching guru, and now he lose Peyton Manning and he is on the hot seat..

So if we were to put Mike Tomlin on a bad team (Rams for example)... Would he make them competitive or would his true coaching skills be exposed?

FUNBUNCHER
11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Both. The problem with the Steelers is depth and their stars are all getting old at the same time.

If Tomlin had been named the Chargers HC in 2008, they'd have a SB by now.

Matthew Jones
11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Tomlin is the second-best coach in the NFL if you ask me (three guesses as to who number one is.)

Jvig43
11-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Who is Mike Tomlin?

shylo3716
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Do you guys think Tomlin is a good head coach or did he just inherit a good squad already created by Bill Cowher? Might sound dumb but i just thought about it looking at Indianapolis right now... Most people thought Jim Caldwell was a head coaching guru, and now he lose Peyton Manning and he is on the hot seat..

So if we were to put Mike Tomlin on a bad team (Rams for example)... Would he make them competitive or would his true coaching skills be exposed?

Not a dumb question at all my friend. Gruden inherited Dungy's Bucs who happened to win the Super Bowl that year.

ElectricEye
11-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Who is Mike Tomlin?

He sort of looks like TomTom.

thegreatone
11-26-2011, 12:32 PM
He is a very good coach.

Now John Harbuagh is someone who inherited a good squad. The guy is totally useless.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Mike Tomlin is to coaching what Flavor Flav was to rapping.

AntoinCD
11-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Tomlin's best skills are his man management skills and his ability to defer to his cooridnators.

One of the biggest questions when he became the Steelers head coach was if he was going to implement the Tampa 2 he was more familiar with or keep Dick LeBeau and his zone blitz.

A lot of young head coaches(cough*Josh McDaniels*cough) like to come in and have it their way or the high way.

DraftSavant
11-26-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't want to say X n Os knowledge is overrated for head coaches...but how many "brilliant" coordinators have we seen completely flame out as head coaches?

Hell, even look at Belichick now or Holmgren early in his Seattle days...spread way too thin, responsible for way too many things. One of the best things about Tomlin is that he's aware of his limitations and let's his coaches do their job. Being a head coach is more about delegating responsibility properly than being responsible for everything.

Complex
11-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes(10char)

MetSox17
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM

I'd enjoy seeing Tomlin with a clock around his neck and a viking hat.

FUNBUNCHER
11-26-2011, 01:21 PM
TOmlin is Flava Flav?? You mean he's a clownish, stereotypical hype man?

That sounds more like the Jets HC.

Raiderz4Life
11-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Not a dumb question at all my friend. Gruden inherited Dungy's Bucs who happened to win the Super Bowl that year.

But lets not forget who the Bucs played...a Gruden created Callahan led Raiders squad.

Iamcanadian
11-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Nobody ever mistook Caldwell for being a coaching guru. He took over a Super Bowl team with the greatest regular season QB maybe ever, and they started on a downward road. Even with a healthy Peyton this year, I think they would have had trouble winning and Caldwell would have been gone.
Tomlin is a whole different story. I have zero doubts that he is among the best HC's in the NFL. San Diego is proof that a great QB cannot get a team to its goals with a rotten HC. Pittsburgh has lots of holes on its team and yet Tomlin gets them to play as a team where the sum is better than its parts and they are a threat to win the Super Bowl every year. While I really liked Cowher, a part of me believes that Tomlin is the better HC.
IMO, you put Tomlin as HC of the Rams and within 2 years, they would be a serious Super Bowl challenger.

Ravens1991
11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
He is a very good coach.

Now John Harbuagh is someone who inherited a good squad. The guy is totally useless.

This made me laugh but I kind of agree. He went to a good squad and put in 2 complete **** coordinators and was afraid to change what they did because he worked under them like 20 years ago. He doesnt have a say in the offense or defense and for a supposed motivator we have showed up completly flat against terrible teams. Granted I wouldnt say he is completly worthless but I still would take Rex Ryan over him, in years we will see who is better.

niel89
11-26-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm just sad the Steelers forum isn't the Tom Tom forum anymore.

I'm personally not that high on Tomlin personally. He came into one of the most stable franchises with a defense already set with an amazing DC & an established franchise QB. I'm not sure that he consistently has to bring as much to a team like BB has to or other HCs do. I give him credit for keeping the team focused and playing hard, but I view him more as a game manager than a playmaker if I can put it in those terms. I think a lot of Coaches could do well in his situation.

Hines
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Tomlin isn't a great X and O's guy, but he's an excellent speaker, leader, and motivator. He gets the most out of his players and would be willing to die for them. He has things to work on, but IMO, he's going to be one of the best. Dude is still extremely young and has already accomplished more than what most coaches do. He's going to be a Steeler for a very, very long time. I'm glad that he got the job over Wiz and Grimm and I wanted them a lot.

CJSchneider
11-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd enjoy seeing Tomlin with a clock around his neck and a viking hat.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c2Paw1jq6n4/SuCAfDyZ7UI/AAAAAAAADL8/B4AqUQ7VVfc/s400/Tomlin+Vikings+9.23.2009.jpg

That's the best I could do.

Breed
11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm just sad the Steelers forum isn't the Tom Tom forum anymore.

I'm personally not that high on Tomlin personally. He came into one of the most stable franchises with a defense already set with an amazing DC & an established franchise QB. I'm not sure that he consistently has to bring as much to a team like BB has to or other HCs do. I give him credit for keeping the team focused and playing hard, but I view him more as a game manager than a playmaker if I can put it in those terms. I think a lot of Coaches could do well in his situation.

Probably the most accurate post in this thread, wish i could add to your rep...

ChiFan24
11-26-2011, 09:48 PM
There are a few guys that like to be contrary and call Tomlin overrated, but I think their standards for head coaches are way too high. Almost all of them have flaws, but he's one of the best in the NFL if you ask me.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Most people thought Jim Caldwell was a head coaching guru

Nobody thought this

DeathbyStat
11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Im a steelers fan.....

He hasn't anything to make me angry over the years.

However if he inherited a bad team it would be interesting how he would have done.

He has a great DC in Lebeau and a terrible OC in Bruce Arians, so thats kinda a wash,

K Train
11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
as a steeler fan i think hes ok, i think hes a ***** that wont put his foot down on the staff, particularly at offensive coordinator cause bruce arians is terrible. but as a coach i think hes pretty good, he inherited a great team but imo hes a better coach than cowher.

cowher lucked out big time with the rooneys because other franchises were giving him 15 years....he was a motivator and a tv personality cause he spit everywhere with his huge chin....but a x's and o's he was average, roster moves he was idiotic really sticking with "his boys" wayyyyy to long, and he was very much martyball jr the way he would finish games.

imo hes not a coach thats gonna come in and fix a bad team, hes way overrated on the coaching market....but im definitely happy the steelers went with tomlin over rivera, grimm, wisenhunt back a few years ago

bigbluedefense
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Thank you. Mike Tomlin is Herm Edwards with a franchise quarterback.

vidae
11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I like him on House.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I like him on House.

I think his work in "The Program" has really helped him as an NFL coach.

Weeze
11-29-2011, 06:01 AM
inheriting a good team aside, you dont go to the superbowl twice in 4 years, winning 1 of them, if you're not a good coach. although it helps immensely, good players can't have that kind of success alone. a perfect example is philly this year.

prock
11-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Waiting for Brent...

Tom Tom out y'all

brat316
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I want to see what happens when Dick retires.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is the key with Tomlin, he isn't pigheaded and recognizes a good thing when he sees it.

Most head coaches would have come in, and wanted to implement THEIR system. Tomlin is a Cover 2 guy and defensive minded coach. Did he push for this system? Nope, left LeBeau in place and let things go. We've seen good coaches take good teams and destroy them with greed.

Does that make him a Top 3 or 5 NFL coach? Maybe not, but he has moved a team through the Roethlisberger scandal to go to a Super Bowl, dealt with players like James Harrison dealing and complaining about fines and his teammates, etc. I'll take it.

MANY people said the same thing about Bill Cowher when he took over for Chuck Noll. Same exact type of sentiment. You can argue whether it was right or not, but this has been happening since the late 70s and continued for the Steelers.

At this point, Tomlin has the highest win % and playoff win % in Steelers history, and it may keep up if the team keeps reloading. The joint effort by Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, one of the more underrated GMs, has kept the Steelers successful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/mike-tomlin.jpg