PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the NFC East?

bearsfan_51
11-26-2011, 01:12 PM
This one is pretty simple. Philly and Washington are basically out of it, leaving Dallas and New York to go head-to-head. Their best path to the playoffs is to win the division (less competition). So, who ya got?

Dallas Cowboys (7-4)
-2-1 in the NFC East
-5-2 in the NFC
-4-1 in their last five games
-Have yet to play New York

New York Giants (6-5)
-1-2 in the NFC East
-3-4 in the NFC
-3-2 in their last five games
-Have yet to play Dallas

Rosebud
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
It'll take sweeping Dallas, but with that last game being a week 17 matchup for a playoff spot, essentially a playoff environment already, I actually think the giants will pull it off. Would be sweet to just win out until that week 17 game so the result doesn't matter, but I don't see that happening.

Raiderz4Life
11-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm going to pick the Giants. I'm still skeptical about Tony Romo especially in December. Plus if the Giants get after him they can pull it out. They have to be aggressive though that soft zone **** they do won't get it done.

AntoinCD
11-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Im going for Dallas because the Giants schedule is horrific. The only "easy" game is against the Redskins.

New Orleans, GB, Dallas in the next three weeks will be crucial. They probably need to go 2-1 in that period with one of the wins being against Dallas.

MetSox17
11-26-2011, 01:33 PM
These next two weeks will be telling for the Giants division hopes. If they lose both games to the Packers and Saints, they're more than likely done for, as we'll most likely split the season series with them. I'm liking our chances, but we need to make sure we destroy the ****** Cardinals, the last two weeks our porous secondary has made Rex Grossman and Matt Moore look like pro-bowlers.

nepg
11-26-2011, 01:35 PM
The Giants and Cowboys both stand a real chance to finish 8-8 or worse. The Eagles could very well swoop in and take it at 9-7.

Their remaining schedule is cake.

Raiderz4Life
11-26-2011, 01:37 PM
The Giants and Cowboys both stand a real chance to finish 8-8 or worse. The Eagles could very well swoop in and take it at 9-7.

They'd have to go 5-1 to finish 9-7....don't see it with NE, Dall, and NYJ still on the schedule and you never know what you will get with MIA.

AntoinCD
11-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Eh, the Cowboys should win at least two more-Arizona and TB. then if they even split with the Giants it should take them to 10-6.

The Eagles still have 3 teams with serious playoff ambitions in NE, NYJ and Dallas.

bearsfan_51
11-26-2011, 02:27 PM
People need to get off the Philly train.

Breed
11-26-2011, 02:53 PM
People need to get off the Philly train.

We have a shot, Plus we're the best team in the division so why not?

nepg
11-26-2011, 03:05 PM
They'd have to go 5-1 to finish 9-7....don't see it with NE, Dall, and NYJ still on the schedule and you never know what you will get with MIA.
Yeah, Philly is going to have to make a run... But if any team is capable of doing so, it's them. Even if the Giants & Cowboys finish 9-7, the Eagles win that tie breaker.

CDCB14
11-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Philly is going to have to make a run... But if any team is capable of doing so, it's them. Even if the Giants & Cowboys finish 9-7, the Eagles win that tie breaker.

How? The eagles and giants split the series...

As for the big picture, it's a tough one. The cowboys and giants head to head match-ups will probably decide it, and I have no idea who wins those. So, I think they will probably just split. I think the cowboys have a more talented team, especially with Miles Austin and Mike Jenkins coming back, but the giants are tough and Eli always rips the cowboys apart.

As for the eagles... LOL. I hope Vick gets healthy soon, because vince young scares me more than he does. Hopefully Nnamdi plays this weekend too so Brady makes him look stupid for the millionth time this year.

If the redskins had a QB, they would be dangerous. That is a legit defense. They are a sleeper for the future.

nepg
11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Eagles would have the best divisional record.

J-Mike88
11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MikeIrvin.jpg
http://rlv.zcache.com/how_bout_dem_cowboys_tshirt-p235273213758129600z7tqq_400.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_chbnMGy0IXI/SNrPsQ0GBlI/AAAAAAAABsU/9tJP9JZpsDk/s320/dallas-cowboys-cheerleader.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img11195708.jpg
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Dallas-Cowboys-Cheerleader.jpg

My money's on Romo.

BaLLiN
11-26-2011, 08:04 PM
a few things need to change for the giants:
-Tuck needs to play through his injury, and play well
-Boley needs to come back asap
-DC needs to stop playing soft zones
-Our OL needs to be reshuffled
-Bradshaw and Scott should split carries, Jacobs is terrible.

I believe in eli.

Nalej
11-26-2011, 08:42 PM
I went with the Giants because they never lose when I want them to.

:(

ChiFan24
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I'd sell my soul to play the Cowboys in the first round with a healthy Cutler.

Damix
11-27-2011, 12:29 AM
We haven't lost to NO yet...

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I'd sell my soul to play the Cowboys in the first round with a healthy Cutler.

Really? From a bears perspective I feel like there are much better match-up's to be had than the cowboys.

Witten, Dez, Miles, Laurent Robinson and Murray out of the backfield wouldn't be a good match up for that zone defense. Just my opinion.

Not saying the bears wouldn't win, but i feel like their are better match ups..

Thoughts bears fans?

BaLLiN
11-27-2011, 10:09 AM
We haven't lost to NO yet...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=NYG

yep 6-4 not 6-5 bf51

BloodBrother
11-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the Giants are the best team but they have hurt themselves too much earlier in the season by playing down to the competition. Should have beaten Seattle and should have beaten Philly last week

I think that comes back to bite them in the end. Dallas has an easier schedule to finish out the year and I think that's going to be the reason they end up winning the division. I still picked the Giants(in the poll) but I'm not confident in it happening

NY+Giants=NYG
11-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Dallas will win it.

JBCX
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Cowboys or *maybe* Eagles if they go on a tremendous run

BloodBrother
11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Eagles are done after today(don't see them winning with Young at QB, likely no Aso and no Maclin)

Da-Phins
11-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the Giants are the better team but based on the schedules Cowboys will likely lock in the division.

JBCX
11-27-2011, 10:53 AM
If the Eagles beat the Patriots, they are winning the division.

But if they lose, then I'm basically writing them off. They basically have nothing but playoff games from here on out, just like the Packers did last year before they entered the playoffs.

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM

But if they lose, then I'm basically writing them off. They basically have nothing but playoff games from here on out, just like the Packers did last year before they entered the playoffs.

How do you figure? They'd have to run the table to be 10-6...

Let's say they beat the Pats today, they still have the cowboys again (and if anything thinks that game will be another blow out your a fool), and the jets. I bet they atleast lose one of those.

Not to mention, the eagles have lost to teams like John Skelton led cardinals at home, with their season pretty much on the line. With the way seattle and the dolphins are playing, and both games being on the road, who says they even win those?

I'm not even trying to hate on the eagles, but i'd be very shocked if they win the division. Everyone simply overrated their talent. Just like the cowboys last year, I'll be the first to admit it. Vick is one of the most overrated players in football, and just because maclin and jackson can go deep doesn't mean its going to work 10 times a game... McCoy is a stud, but so what? The defense is soft too.

If they come back to win this division though, andy reid has to be coach of the year, and able to tell the media to suck his **** lol.

JBCX
11-27-2011, 11:30 AM
How do you figure? They'd have to run the table to be 10-6...

Let's say they beat the Pats today, they still have the cowboys again (and if anything thinks that game will be another blow out your a fool), and the jets. I bet they atleast lose one of those.

Not to mention, the eagles have lost to teams like John Skelton led cardinals at home, with their season pretty much on the line. With the way seattle and the dolphins are playing, and both games being on the road, who says they even win those?

I'm not even trying to hate on the eagles, but i'd be very shocked if they win the division. Everyone simply overrated their talent. Just like the cowboys last year, I'll be the first to admit it. Vick is one of the most overrated players in football, and just because maclin and jackson can go deep doesn't mean its going to work 10 times a game... McCoy is a stud, but so what? The defense is soft too.

If they come back to win this division though, andy reid has to be coach of the year, and able to tell the media to suck his **** lol.

I didn't say it was likely; I said it was possible.

I don't think their talent is overrated. I think that they grossly misused some of their talent this year, especially on defense, and I also think that the lockout hurt them pretty badly. However, you saw what their talent is capable of when they demolished the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants. If they could play with that kind of consistency and discipline all year, they'd be 9-1 or 8-2 right now.

Last year the Cowboys looked like the softest team in the world on defense and routinely gave up 30, 40+ points before Wade Phillips was fired. This year, this Cowboys team is basically the same one from last year. Why are they better now? Their coaches (Rob Ryan specifically) are making better use of their talent. There's no reason that a competent defensive coordinator and a less stubborn offensive playcaller can do the same with the Eagles. Either they need to fire Juan Castillo and replace him with a better DC, or hope that a second year in his system will see them improve.

DraftSavant
11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

I don't think their talent is overrated. I think that they grossly misused some of their talent this year, especially on defense, and I also think that the lockout hurt them pretty badly. However, you saw what their talent is capable of when they demolished the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants. If they could play with that kind of consistency and discipline all year, they'd be 9-1 or 8-2 right now.

Last year the Cowboys looked like the softest team in the world on defense and routinely gave up 30, 40+ points before Wade Phillips was fired. This year, this Cowboys team is basically the same one from last year. Why are they better now? Their coaches (Rob Ryan specifically) are making better use of their talent. There's no reason that a competent defensive coordinator and a less stubborn offensive playcaller can do the same with the Eagles. Either they need to fire Juan Castillo and replace him with a better DC, or hope that a second year in his system will see them improve.

I'm sorry, but there is no defense you can run with Cullen Jenkins as your 1-tech, Mike Patterson as your 3-tech, and the four linebackers they've been rotating.

They need a big dominating 1-tech, and a thumper MLB. Jenkins needs to be playing the 3. Patterson should be a rotational pass rusher. Changing schemes will only do so much, it's a personnel issue. They have gaping deficiencies through the entire middle of their defense.

I also think their pass D will get better if they trade Asante and play Brandon Marsh at the nickel spot. But that's another topic for another day. Fix the middle first.

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 12:18 PM

You just said if they beat the patriots, they win the divison....? I guess I don't follow.

And please, don't give me the old "if they played like this every week they'd have this record" nonsense. You can say that about every NFL team. If the seahawks played like they did against the giants ever week they'd be 9-1 too. Every team has talent, and if all break when their way they'd have a nice record too. That isn't how sports work. Judging by talent, cowboys shouldv'e be 14-2 last year... did that happen? Hell no. Exactly.

I think the eagles need to be blown up to be honest, but that's just me. Andy Reid is a good coach but its time for a change, and Michael Vick is terribly overrated. Such a terrible decision to give him that contract. Sure he'll have a few huge games... on his way to consitently leading his team to a 7-9 record year in and year out.

Cool he won a playoff game in lambeau back when brett favre didn't have grey hair and wranglers weren't "premium denim jeans...." So what.

The classic problem with the world today is the media and how it lets people live off reputation. The disease of mankind, but that's just one man's opinion.

JBCX
11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
You just said if they beat the patriots, they win the divison....? I guess I don't follow.

And please, don't give me the old "if they played like this every week they'd have this record" nonsense. You can say that about every NFL team. If the seahawks played like they did against the giants ever week they'd be 9-1 too. Every team has talent, and if all break when their way they'd have a nice record too. That isn't how sports work. Judging by talent, cowboys shouldv'e be 14-2 last year... did that happen? Hell no. Exactly.

That's my point exactly - the Cowboys had the same talent last year that they have this year. Last year they sucked, this year they are a playoff contender. The Eagles are in the same situation - lots of talent, just not clicking this year. Next year they could just as easily go 14-2 with basically the same squad, more offseason time, and maybe a coordinator change.

I think the eagles need to be blown up to be honest, but that's just me. Andy Reid is a good coach but its time for a change, and Michael Vick is terribly overrated. Such a terrible decision to give him that contract. Sure he'll have a few huge games... on his way to consitently leading his team to a 7-9 record year in and year out.

You could say the exact same thing about Tony Romo. But the Cowboys stuck with him last year, and now he's playing relatively well. Just because a QB doesn't have a Super Bowl ring that doesn't mean he's worthless.

The funny thing is that Michael Vick actually has more playoff wins than Tony Romo and has played roughly the same number of years in the league.

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
That's my point exactly - the Cowboys had the same talent last year that they have this year. Last year they sucked, this year they are a playoff contender. The Eagles are in the same situation - lots of talent, just not clicking this year. Next year they could just as easily go 14-2 with basically the same squad, more offseason time, and maybe a coordinator change.

You could say the exact same thing about Tony Romo. But the Cowboys stuck with him last year, and now he's playing relatively well. Just because a QB doesn't have a Super Bowl ring that doesn't mean he's worthless.

The funny thing is that Michael Vick actually has more playoff wins than Tony Romo and has played roughly the same number of years in the league.

Dude, really? Michael Vick has 2 playoff wins, romo has 1. Are you really trying to use that as an argument? Thats a mute point. 2 to 1? No difference.

Also, last time I checked, Romo hasn't directly lost a playoff game as a QB (don't give me the bobbled snap). Last year, Vick threw a GARBAGE interception to tramon williams while guarding riley cooper on a fade when they time to try and score. Atleast Romo's miscues have some reason behind them, VIck just throws up ducks. Im sure you saw his bomb interception to lose to the cardnials a few weeks ago, romo never does that. Romo actually played well against the seahawks, the giants (but threw a prayer in the endzone on the last play that got picked), obliterated the eagles, and then the vikings game wasn't all his fault the o-line and defense got man handled.

And as for "you can say the same thing about tony romo" when saying vick is overrated, now you really can't. He has a career passer rating of 95.8 and 139 touchdowns to 71 INTS. Vick has a career passer rating of 80.5 with 105 career touchdowns and 65 INT's. So Romo has many more touchdowns, while their INT numbers are the same. Not to mention Vick has has 75 career fumbles with 33 lost, tony romo has 41 fumbles with only 17 lost.

And most of all: Rom's career winning percentage is .634 with a career record of 45-26, while Vick's career winning percentage is .569 with a record of 49-37-1. That equates out to romo having an average record of around 11-5, while vick is around 9-7.

Therefore, I rest my case. Vick does not belong in the same sentence as Romo. I think you should appreciate the factual argument proposed in this post.

All the stats are correct, check for yourself if you wish.

EDIT: And Vick had been in the league since 2001. Sure he lost 2 1/2 years from prison and not starting his first year with the eagles, but Romo didn't start until midway threw the 2006 season. Therefore, Romo has been a starter for 2 less years, and they still have pretty much the same amount of wins...

Raiderz4Life
11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Hopefully the Eagles homers i.e. JBCX and Breed will finally shut up about the Eagles somehow making a miraculous run to win the division after today.

BaLLiN
11-27-2011, 09:47 PM

However, you saw what their talent is capable of when they demolished the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants. If they could play with that kind of consistency and discipline all year, they'd be 9-1 or 8-2 right now.

so basically you said that if they win one game, they will win the division when they were 2 games back. That sounds a lot less like a possibility than you making a huge homer prediction.

Secondly, the only team out of the three you listed you 'demolished' was the cowboys. You only beat the giants and redskins by one touchdown and the giants just barely when they were driving and in or right out of the redzone and eli got sack-fumbled.

Edit: and also the giants beat the eagles 29-14, that shouldn't even be considered 'demolishing'

Hopefully the Eagles homers i.e. JBCX and Breed will finally shut up about the Eagles somehow making a miraculous run to win the division after today.

yes, finally.

CDCB14
11-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Please "stickwithit" tell me why you neg repped me calling me an idiot when I just statistically proved that romo is better (career passing rating and winning percentage is significantly higher than vick's...) but im an idiot?

Again, perception in the media because everyone hates romo and overrates vick because he can run.

I stated my case with facts, provide a quality counter argument or be mature about it man.

Weeze
11-28-2011, 06:11 AM
cowboys take it. philly is too far back and too inconsistent to make a comeback, and washington is a bad team. the cowboys play the giants twice, but other than that they have arizona, tampa and philly. the giants have new orleans tonight, GB next week and a the jets could pose some problems for them in week 16. The division is Dallas' to lose at this point.

Rosebud
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
cowboys take it. philly is too far back and too inconsistent to make a comeback, and washington is a bad team. the cowboys play the giants twice, but other than that they have arizona, tampa and philly. the giants have new orleans tonight, GB next week and a the jets could pose some problems for them in week 16. The division is Dallas' to lose at this point.

If the giants can beat Dallas in two weeks it'll all come down to that week 17 matchup. And with their season's on the line I'm picking Eli and co over Romo's crew everyday of the week.

bigbluedefense
11-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I think it depends on this monday night game. If we beat NO, then we have a chance. If we lose, then it looks bleak. It's going to be hard to overcome what will likely be a 6-6 record after facing the Packers. We'd have to win out and winning 2 games vs Dallas won't be easy and not likely.

Giantsfan1080
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I think it depends on this monday night game. If we beat NO, then we have a chance. If we lose, then it looks bleak. It's going to be hard to overcome what will likely be a 6-6 record after facing the Packers. We'd have to win out and winning 2 games vs Dallas won't be easy and not likely.

We have to win one of the next two. Whether we beat the Saints or the Packers I don't care but we need a W.

bigbluedefense
11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
We have to win one of the next two. Whether we beat the Saints or the Packers I don't care but we need a W.

Agree. I just think the Saints is more realistic of the 2.

JBCX
11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Welp, obviously the Eagles are out of it at this point and need to restock for next year.

I'm pretty confident that the Cowboys will be the only team from the weak NFC East (this year) to play in a playoff game this year, and I doubt that the Cowboys will do anything more than be one-and-done or two-and-done.

For the 3rd straight season, the NFC East will be ultimately irrelevant in the Super Bowl discussion.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Welp, obviously the Eagles are out of it at this point and need to restock for next year.

I'm pretty confident that the Cowboys will be the only team from the weak NFC East (this year) to play in a playoff game this year, and I doubt that the Cowboys will do anything more than be one-and-done or two-and-done.

For the 3rd straight season, the NFC East will be ultimately irrelevant in the Super Bowl discussion.
But it's still the best division in football..... East Coast?

JBCX
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
But it's still the best division in football..... East Coast?

Uh, it hasn't been the best division in football for a while now.

AFC & NFC North are probably the two toughest divisions in the NFL right now.

BaLLiN
11-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Uh, it hasn't been the best division in football for a while now.

AFC & NFC North are probably the two toughest divisions in the NFL right now.

NFC South is also very competitive

jsagan77
11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I said Cowboys at the beginning of the year and I'll stick with that.

bearsfan_51
12-02-2011, 01:10 AM
We have a shot, Plus we're the best team in the division so why not?
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/puff_daddy.jpg

JBCX
12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/puff_daddy.jpg

They had a shot at the time. They're talented but the team has quit on the coach.

Anyway, shouldn't you be more concerned about Caleb Hanie keeping the Bears out of the playoffs?

Raiderz4Life
12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
They had a shot at the time. They're talented but the team has quit on the coach.

Anyway, shouldn't you be more concerned about Caleb Hanie keeping the Bears out of the playoffs?

They didn't quit on their coach, they just got outplayed and outcoached. The coaches did a terrible job with that team.

And no...they didn't have a chance at that time...only an eagles homer would believe that.

bearsfan_51
12-03-2011, 06:08 PM

No, because making fun of Eagles fans is much more fun.

Raiderz4Life
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
No, because making fun of Eagles fans is much more fun.

That too...btw...what happened to Breed??

BaLLiN
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM

No, they really didn't have a shot. Per Adam Schefter's twitter account:
Attention Philadelphia and Seattle: Of the 92 teams to have a 4-7 record from 1990 to 2010, only 3 made the playoffs (3.3 pct).

I'm guessing one of those was seattle, who came from one of the worst division performances historically. I am not aware of the other two, but still, no.

Secondly, every team in the NFL is talented. Just because you put a bunch of players that performed well from other teams on your team doesn't mean you will get the same production.

Also wes welker is not the best athlete even at receiver on his own team, yet he is so valuable because of his smarts and effort, he will beat you mentally. Eagles have speed, they are not incredibly athletic across the board compared to other teams. Potential is the word you are looking for, and if you don't have the components (coaches, supporting cast, scheme) to fulfill that potential then it doesn't mean diddly. Players like desean and nnamdi and even asante are "me" players, if they don't do well they start sulking and it kills a team's morale, so its not all Andy.

Raiderz4Life
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
That Eagles defense was a joke. I could have done a better job than Castillo...you'd think it'd be common sense.

Yes, lets split our DEs extra wide, depend on our sucky LBers to stop the run, then we shall play a lot of zone coverage despite the fact we have one of the best man to man CBs in the league.

Brillaint!!