PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Rookie of the Year

soybean
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Is it still this guy?

http://www.celebritiesheight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Cam-Newton.jpg

Cause before there wasn't even a debate but I think he's been pretty average at best lately.

I think this guy is this year's Rookie of the Year

http://profootballzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/andy-dalton.jpg

Raiderz4Life
11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Why does Cam Newton get such a big ass pic that stretches the **** outta my screen and Tampon only gets a little ass pic?

soybean
11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Why does Cam Newton get such a big ass pic that stretches the **** outta my screen and Tampon only gets a little ass pic?

I didn't know that was gonna happen haha sorry.

Anyways, honorable mentions the wr: Torrey Smith, Denarius Moore, and Randall Cobb.

Timbathia
11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
If von miller breaks the rookie sack record he is a chance.

MetSox17
11-26-2011, 08:12 PM
There's one for offense and defense, so putting a defensive guy in the poll doesn't make a lot of sense. All those guys have been great, and most likely it will be a QB that gets it, but we have two rookies that deserve it just as much, and might be in the playoffs, something you can't say for any of those other guys.

billybeejr
11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Has to be Demarco Murray to me. He's arguably been the best 'back in football.

Raiderz4Life
11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Dude you cray

soybean
11-26-2011, 08:32 PM
There's one for offense and defense, so putting a defensive guy in the poll doesn't make a lot of sense. All those guys have been great, and most likely it will be a QB that gets it, but we have two rookies that deserve it just as much, and might be in the playoffs, something you can't say for any of those other guys.

The Bengals could grab a wild card spot so they might be in the playoffs too.

JPF
11-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I voted for AJ Green. Like Cam but he's cooled off since a fast start.

Do what?

billybeejr
11-26-2011, 08:48 PM
That was an overstatement, but he has had over 73 yards in every game since he broke out. Extrapolate his stats for those 6 games to a full season and you get over 2000 rushing yards.

nepg
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
That was an overstatement, but he has had over 73 yards in every game since he broke out. Extrapolate his stats for those 6 games to a full season and you get over 2000 rushing yards.
http://cdn3.staztic.com/screenshots/children-storiesdont-do-that-02-1.jpg

ChiFan24
11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd give it to A.J. Green before Dalton. Cam still has my vote though.

FUNBUNCHER
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I think Cam gets it, but Dalton might if he gets the Bengals into the playoffs.

sbh15
11-26-2011, 10:13 PM
i went aj green because i think he's part of the reason dalton has been so successful

Sloopy
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Sadly I see Von making the playoffs despite the QB situation, that division looked so promising yet ended up being absolutely horrid.

Anyway, my vote is Von Miller, dudes a beast and can't argue it if he breaks a rookie record. Something you can't say about all these other guys

Extrapolating stats is a terrible means of determining an outcome unfortunately

Breed
11-26-2011, 11:28 PM
i went aj green because i think he's part of the reason dalton has been so successful

AJ Green is to Dalton what Jerry Rice was to Montana?

49erNation85
11-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Dalton has been way more productive then Green has in the offense. I like his numbers and his play on the field . He should of been a 9er , but I guess Jim didn't like his hair color or something.

jth1331
11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Von Miller, I don't think people realize how amazing he has been.

bucfan12
11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Von Miller is the easy choice. Cam started hot, now he's having a tough time passing the ball. He's still being able to be successful as a runner, but right now, it's starting to remind me of Vince Young's rookie year. Sorry, didn't mean to put that comparison in.

Sloopy
11-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Von Miller, I don't think people realize how amazing he has been.

Von has already eclipsed Ware's rookie season and may even pass Sugg's

LonghornsLegend
11-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Von Miller is the easy choice. Cam started hot, now he's having a tough time passing the ball. He's still being able to be successful as a runner, but right now, it's starting to remind me of Vince Young's rookie year. Sorry, didn't mean to put that comparison in.

He was going to throw for 5000 yards if he didn't come down at some point, I'm pretty sure everyone saw that coming.

Miaoww
11-27-2011, 09:09 AM
It's still comfortably Newton. If his defence held up their end of the deal it'd be a runaway because the Panthers would be in the playoff hunt.

BRAVEHEART
11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0901/dal_a_smith_b1_200.jpg

Because I'm a big homer,

Jvig43
11-27-2011, 09:58 AM
I went with Dalton, who is actually getting his team wins. No one would have ever argued that the bengals would be where they are right now before the season started.

FUNBUNCHER
11-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Last three games for Cam Newton;
against MINNY - Loss - 22/35, 290 yards, 3 TDs/0 Ints.
against TEN - Loss - 23/40, 212 yards, 0 TDs/ 1 Int.
against DET - Loss - 22/38, 280 yards, 1 TD/ 4 Ints.

Did people stop following Newton once he quit throwing for 400+ yards a game??lol

He's still putting up unreal numbers passing the ball for a rookie QB. If Cam averages 200 yards passing for the next 6 games, he'll top 4K.

What exactly is it about Newton's rookie season that reminds you of VY??

OROTY will come down to freakish stats versus wins IMO.
Most QBs who win the award end up playing for teams that don't make the playoffs.
The Bengals are simply a better football team, but of course no one thought they'd be in this position while starting a rookie 2nd round QB.

It may be close, but there's no way Dalton at this point has a real edge in the balloting.
At the end of the season depending on how the Bengals finish and if Cam continues his current pace while completing 60% of his passes and potentially rushing for 12-15+ TDs, we'll see whose rookie year was more impressive.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Dalton, his team has a winning record. Plus there isn't the supporting cast like Newton has in Shockey, Smith, Olsen, and 2 great RBs. Plus Wins count for something in this league, and what the Bengals have done is good stuff. Now they have to continue to do well.

Da-Phins
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Cam will get it since he's a highlight reel but the deserving winners who actually gets their teams W's instead of ESPN top 10 plays are Dalton and Miller.

K Train
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
i honestly think tyron smith has been the most dominant at their respective positions...i thought the same thing about mangold his rookie year, should have probably won....that being said i think it will probably end up being dalton, which would have shocked me if you told me that 3 months ago

10 of the last 17 DROY awards have gone to linebackers, including 7 of the last 8...and then most of the rest have been defensive ends, pass rushers always seem to win DROY so von miller s by far the obvious choice

JBCX
11-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Either Cam Newton or Andy Dalton, depending on how they finish down the stretch.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Von Miller, period.

Miaoww
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Cam will get it since he's a highlight reel but the deserving winners who actually gets their teams W's instead of ESPN top 10 plays are Dalton and Miller.

Cam Newton doesn't play D. What do you expect him to do when the defence lets everyone march down the field? It's a team sport.

Nikolas
11-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Offensive RotY will be Cam Newton, though it should be Andy Dalton.

Defensive RotY will either be Von Miller or JJ Watt. Miller has the advantage of all the Tebow press coverage, and the fact that there's no one else in Denver doing anything noteworthy, whereas there's tons of playmakers on the Texans, so you don't hear about Watt as much.

The big statistical difference between the two is Miller's 10 sacks this season, which is only exceeded by Demarcus Ware (who is the best linebacker in the game right now). Miller will most likely win (and deservedly so), but if Watt has a few breakout performances, he could make up ground.

Nalej
11-27-2011, 11:57 AM
O: A.Dalton
D: V.Miller

FUNBUNCHER
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Dalton, his team has a winning record. Plus there isn't the supporting cast like Newton has in Shockey, Smith, Olsen, and 2 great RBs. Plus Wins count for something in this league, and what the Bengals have done is good stuff. Now they have to continue to do well.

I'd still take the Bengals offense over Carolina's even with AJ Green out.

Dalton's situation is similar to Roethlisberger's in '05 when he won ROTY.
Big Ben had a better team surrounding him, so if the Bengals make the playoffs with Dalton at the helm from the AFCN it's going to be hard not to give him the award.

Dalton's probably going to finish the season with over 3K passing, over 20 TDs and less than 18 INTs with almost 60% completions.

Complex
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Your kidding right? DeAngelo and Stewart have done nothing this season to be considered great. Shockey and Olsen are both top 20 TEs so I guess your right. Smith is a top 5 WR but Nannee(sp?) sucks.

Dalton supporting cast is better. Smith is the obv then it's followed by Gresham,Green, Simpson, then Shockey and Olsen. Neither Rbs have been great so its a wash maybe give a nod to the panthers runningbacks since they are more proven.

But Bengals D> Panthers and its not even close.

Complex
11-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Lol how? ...

shylo3716
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Patrick Peterson is well deserved of a ballot.

gsorace
11-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Patrick Peterson is well deserved of a ballot.

There is no special teams rookie of the year award.

vidae
11-29-2011, 04:03 AM
I love Andy Dalton and I love what the Bengals are doing, but I still have to give the nod to Cam. A lot of people he'd flat out bust at the NFL level and he's clearly proven a lot of people wrong.. and not by being mediocre, but by being downright amazing in some games.

I didn't think Cam would throw for 2500 yards his rookie year, let alone 4000. I'll give the edge to Cam.

prock
11-29-2011, 04:48 AM

If you had extrapolated Jared Allen's stats after 7 games he would have like 25 sacks.

J-Mike88
11-29-2011, 05:42 AM
If you had extrapolated Jared Allen's stats after 7 games he would have like 25 sacks.
LOL, very true.
People still remember Newton's first few games passing... he's tailed off as a thrower (still runs for a ** TD every week), but his overall performance hasn't been that great since the hot start.

Patrick Peterson has been spectacular, and directly led to 3 close wins.

FUNBUNCHER
11-29-2011, 06:16 AM
LOL, very true.
People still remember Newton's first few games passing... he's tailed off as a thrower (still runs for a ** TD every week), but his overall performance hasn't been that great since the hot start.

Patrick Peterson has been spectacular, and directly led to 3 close wins.

You're making it sound like since Cam didn't continue his 400+ yards passing/game for the ENTIRE season as a rookie, that somehow his production has 'tailed off'.
He's still producing at an extremely high level in the passing game. But it's unrealistic to expect Peyton Manning/Dan Marino, let alone a rookie QB to continue at that pace for 16 games.

Most pro offenses aren't predicated on a QB throwing for that many yards since it usually means you aren't running the football effectively.

Weeze
11-29-2011, 08:01 AM

he's been putting up great numbers. He's went out of his head vs. stl and had 2 other great games against the seahawks and bills.

but...

the past 2 games he's looked overwhelmingly average. 2.9 ypc against the skins who give up almost 120 on the ground every game?

Your logic holds little merit. look at what welker and steve smith did early on in the season. welker was on pace for 2500 yards for a while, and cooled off. after 4 games calvin was on pace for 32 td's. he cooled off. look at brady and cam's start to the season. brady slowed down in a sense that he's not averging 450 yards a game anymore and cam has come way down to earth.

if Murray closes out the season strong and finishes with 1,200+ yards and 8-10 td's (he's only at 2 right now) I'd say he deserves it. But as of now I don't think I've seen enough from him to give it to him yet when there have been players who have been performing consistently well since the start of the season

i voted for dalton. here's why:

- rookie qb who came to a bad team with with unproven receivers and mediocre run support (benson has 3.9 ypc)
- very consistent play for a rookie
- 16:12 TD:INT ratio to Cam's 12:14
- unlike Cam, he's actually putting up decent numbers AND winning; competing for a division title against perennial powerhouses baltimore and pittsburgh.

i know that unlike the MVP award, this award seems to be more stat based. but with all of this in mind, it's hard for me personally not give it to dalton at this point in the year.

FUNBUNCHER
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM
It's going to be close between Cam and Dalton. One guy is probably going to finish his rookie season with 4k passing(NFL record), 60% completions and 12-15 rushing TDs(NFL record).

The other could potentially lead a chronically underachieving Bengals squad to the playoffs out of the toughest division in the NFL.

AntoinCD
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
It's a tough one to decide.

Dalton has more wins, more TDs and less INTs.

Newton has more yards but more INTs than TDs.

The thing that swings it in Newton's favour for me is nearly 500 yards on the ground along with ten TDs.

SolidGold
11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Dalton or Von Miller.

rickscott
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd give it to A.J. Green before Dalton. Cam still has my vote though.

Green missed a game with an ankle sprain. Dalton has something like 4 come from behind 2nd half wins this year which is unbelievable. I think he is passing up Cam for the award.

Pat Sims 90
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Green missed a game with an ankle sprain. Dalton has something like 4 come from behind 2nd half wins this year which is unbelievable. I think he is passing up Cam for the award.

Dalton has 4 comeback wins all coming in the 4th quarter.

Saints-Tigers
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Easy for both. Cam and Von Miller. Sometimes people like to argue for the sake of it.

soybean
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Easy for both. Cam and Von Miller. Sometimes people like to argue for the sake of it.

explain why Cam over Andy Dalton.

D-Unit
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Von Miller easy choice for DROY. Complete stud.

Offense is a little tricky. Cam has fizzled. Dalton will fizzle. Neither will have carried their teams to the playoffs. Green is/was having a good season, but Dalton would get it before him. Is there another rookie doing more for their team in terms of carrying them to the playoffs more than DeMarco Murray? I don't think so. The Cowboys have changed completely since he took over as the starter. Has broken records set by Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith along the way and his OL sucks.

Halsey
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
If you take the first 5 games of the season out of the equation, Murray would be a reasonable candidate. Of course, it wouldn't help that he's been contained the last 2 weeks and scored no TDs...

Ok, so if we're limiting the voting to games 6-9, Murray would have a good shot. Just don't tell anyone he's scored a total of 2 TDs this entire season.

soybean
11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Von Miller easy choice for DROY. Complete stud.

Offense is a little tricky. Cam has fizzled. Dalton will fizzle. Neither will have carried their teams to the playoffs. Green is/was having a good season, but Dalton would get it before him. Is there another rookie doing more for their team in terms of carrying them to the playoffs more than DeMarco Murray? I don't think so. The Cowboys have changed completely since he took over as the starter. Has broken records set by Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith along the way and his OL sucks.

I wish O-line would get more love. Some one eventually deserves to win it and Tyron Smith has absolutely dominated the position.

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I wish O-line would get more love. Some one eventually deserves to win it and Tyron Smith has absolutely dominated the position.

Right tackles just don't win awards like that though. I agree it'd be nice.

soybean
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Right tackles just don't win awards like that though. I agree it'd be nice.

I don't understand why more people dont have a gripe with the award then...

Why even refer to the award as the "rookie of the year award" instead of the "best rookie RB or QB of the year award"

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't understand why more people dont have a gripe with the award then...

Why even refer to the award as the "rookie of the year award" instead of the "best rookie RB or QB of the year award"

They could have two OROY awards, one for skill positions and one for non-skill.

DI
11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Has to be Andy Dalton. I had no belief what so ever coming into this season that he would even be a serviceable quarterback in the league and hes got me eating crow. To have this team at 7-4 when I thought they would max at 2-3 wins is an amazing accomplishment and I give it to Dalton.

Ghost of Juice
11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't think the Bengals would have more than five wins now if they had the Panthers schedule. Cam is on pace to throw for 4000 and rush for 600, both would be rookie Qb records. If you count total touchdowns/interceptions: Dalton 17/12, Cam 22/14. Cam is also completing 61% of his passes with a 7.89 yards per attempt, while Dalton is completing 60.1% with a 6.91 yards per attempt. That tells me that Cam is making more big plays and Dalton is doing more check-downs and Cam still has a higher completion percentage.

Dalton is having a great year but Cam is doing things we have never seen from a rookie. Rookie of the year should be given based more on individual success than team success.

jth1331
11-29-2011, 02:18 PM
We need more Von Miller love in this thread.

K Train
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
We need more Von Miller love in this thread.
hes run away with the defensive one, theres not even a debate

TheFinisher
11-29-2011, 04:05 PM

The scary thing with Tyron Smith is that he's not even old enough to drink alcohol lol.

I think it's going to be Newton, he's on pace to shatter the rookie yardage record.

shylo3716
11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
There is no special teams rookie of the year award.

WTF is that suppose to mean! Dude is an impact player for his team whether it be jus special teams only. Last time I recalled he did win a game for his team in the crunch.

Hasn't he ran 1 back in each of the last 3 games played?

MetSox17
11-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Even if there was a special teams rookie of the year, it would go to Dan Bailey :D

PoopSandwich
11-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Dalton is different from most rookie qb. Doesn't seem to make many mistakes, more of a game manager than Newton.

Against the Browns he took some risks that paid off very well because he knows he can trust Green and Gresham to make some plays for him. On top of that he has one of the best defenses in the entire league which definitely helps.

If the Bengals make the playoffs and can take a game from the Steelers here then Dalton most likely gets it.

Preston
11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Dalton has more wins, more touchdowns, less interceptions... I was a pretty staunch Newton supporter until lately, when Dalton has just been on fire.

And I think the overall dominance of this class this year is being overlooked. It's ridiculous.

Halsey
12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
This debate has now been put to rest by ESPN blogger Jamison Hensley:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/36843/a-j-green-is-nfls-most-valuable-rookie

If you don't believe me, just refer to the last sentence of the second paragraph:

"But if you're talking about the most valuable rookie this year, Newton isn't the choice. It's Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green. It's not even close."

So much for that debate.

/thread

stephenson86
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree with him, Dalton is only doing well because of Green, without Green Dalton would not be leading the Bengals to the wins he is. Green has been superb for the Bengals and it is about time someone outside of a QB or RB is given the award. Miller wins.

robert pancake gallery
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
cam newton is #2 in fantasy points this year which means he should be 2nd in MVP voting

marshallb
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
This debate has now been put to rest by ESPN blogger Jamison Hensley:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/36843/a-j-green-is-nfls-most-valuable-rookie

If you don't believe me, just refer to the last sentence of the second paragraph:

"But if you're talking about the most valuable rookie this year, Newton isn't the choice. It's Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green. It's not even close."

So much for that debate.

/thread

So you're going to use another man's opinion as evidence to why your opinion is right? At least use some of the evidence that he has in that article, not just quote an opinion. We get it though, you're a Georgia homer and an AJ Green fanboy, so obviously you'll feel that way.

EDIT: On top of that, the award isn't "Most Valuable Rookie", it's "Rookie of the Year", so it doesn't matter who has been the most valuable to their team's success, just like the offensive and defensive player of the year awards.

gsorace
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
WTF is that suppose to mean! Dude is an impact player for his team whether it be jus special teams only. Last time I recalled he did win a game for his team in the crunch.

Hasn't he ran 1 back in each of the last 3 games played?

I love PP, I'm just saying the things he does on special teams shouldn't matter when talking about the DEFENSIVE rookie of the year.

It doesn't matter anyway because Von Miller already won.

Halsey
12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
So you're going to use another man's opinion as evidence to why your opinion is right? At least use some of the evidence that he has in that article, not just quote an opinion. We get it though, you're a Georgia homer and an AJ Green fanboy, so obviously you'll feel that way.

EDIT: On top of that, the award isn't "Most Valuable Rookie", it's "Rookie of the Year", so it doesn't matter who has been the most valuable to their team's success, just like the offensive and defensive player of the year awards.

Apparently you missed the part where he said "It's not even close." What else needs to be said? Debate over.

Denver Bronco56
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
"It’s time we forgot talk of best rookie and started to think in terms of Pro-Bowl, All-Pro, maybe even Defensive Player of the Year. It sounds crazy, but there may not be a better candidate than Miller right now…Focusing only on his play as a run defender and in coverage, he is still having an All-Pro caliber season…Miller is also the only linebacker in the league with more than 25 tackles that has yet to miss one…The scary part is that when most rookies are running into the metaphorical wall, Miller seems to be getting stronger. His past four games have been his strongest four, and at the moment he is proving to be an adversary that right tackles can’t contain…This might be the most dominant season from a rookie since Randy Moss defined the word ‘uncoverable’ in his first year with a chip on his shoulder in 1998.

Miller was just named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month"

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-than-the-roy/

robert pancake gallery
12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I know a lot of people are saying Von Miller for DROTY which is all fine and dandy, but why not Zoidb- why not Phil Taylor?

http://media.cleveland.com/browns_impact/photo/taylor-mug-browns-2011-apjpg-4cd511b732675108.jpg

he doesn't even have to play well to make an impact, just imagine the fear he strikes into the hearts of opponents when he simply steps onto the field

Punisher
12-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Get that off of my screen now. Size exceeds my comfort.

marshallb
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Apparently you missed the part where he said "It's not even close." What else needs to be said? Debate over.

No, I didn't miss that, but again, you are using another man's opinion, which means absolutely nothing to me. I could find a bunch of other people on the internet that say it should be Cam or Dalton or whoever and "It's not even close", but that wouldn't mean **** to you as it shouldn't. On top of that, who the **** is Jamison Hensley? I hadn't even heard of him until your post, that goes a long way towards proving any credibility.

BlindSite
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I agree with him, Dalton is only doing well because of Green, without Green Dalton would not be leading the Bengals to the wins he is. Green has been superb for the Bengals and it is about time someone outside of a QB or RB is given the award. Miller wins.

Dalton is doing well because of his entire supporting cast. He doesn't deserve it over Cam or even Green.

Newton is on pace to break the yardage record, rushing TD record *by a QB, he already has the rookie QB record and could even take the rookie record for completions.

He's smashing it.

Bengalsrocket
12-02-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not even going to defend Dalton, people clearly aren't watching the Bengals play.

What I did want to say is that Green is an absolute monster and fully deserving of the RoTY award if he gets it. That being said, he or any one else really, would have to play absolutely lights out to take this award from Dalton or Newton. Regardless of how you view either one personally, you know they're both the clear front runners right now.