PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Mock Draft Attempt

Phins827
11-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Suggestions are much appreciated.

Draft order was done using ESPN Playoff Machine.

1. Indianapolis Colts- QB Andrew Luck, Stanford

This is a pretty obvious pick here. Luck is clearly the best QB prospect the game has seen in quite a while, and I have no doubt he will live up to the hype. Manning has been the best QB in the NFL for the past decade, but it seems that his time is close to finished. Fortunately for the Colts, they are in position to take the best QB of the next decade.

2. St. Louis Rams- OT Matt Kalil, USC

The Rams are near the top of my list for the "Most Dissapointing Team Of The Year" award. They have alot of good players on their team, and alot of hope for the future. However, they also have alot of areas of need. I strongly considered picking Morris Claiborne here, but if they view Sam Bradford as their future, they need to keep him healthy.

3. Minnesota Vikings- WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.

Christian Ponder has impressed me so far. In the games I have watched, he has exceeded my expectations. The problem is, he doesn't really have anyone to throw to. They had Sidney Rice, but for whatever reason, they felt they needed to get rid of him. Justin Blackmon has the ability to be even better though, and if I were Minnesota I wouldn't hesitate on this pick.

4. Carolina Panthers- CB Morris Claiborne, LSU

Like Christian Ponder, Cam Newton has been very impressive this season. Like Christian Ponder, Cam Newton needs a legit threat at WR. Unlike Christian Ponder, there are no WR's here worth this high of a pick. The Carolina offense has shown it can score. The Carolina defense has shown that it can't stop other teams from scoring. In a division with Drew Brees and Matt Ryan, Carolina needs help stopping the pass. Morris Claiborne will fill that need right away.

5. Miami Dolphins- QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor

I'll admit it. Before this season started, I had never watched Griffin play. I always viewed him as another Terrelle Pryor. No way did I believe the hype on this guy. This season I have watched quite a bit of Baylor football, and I have a whole new view on him. I don't see a Pryor QB that takes the snap and takes off. I see a true pocket QB that happens to have the incredible scrambling ability to make a play with his legs. Miami will have a brand new coaching staff next year, and with that comes a new franchise QB. I see this pick as a perfect fit.

6. Washington Redskins- QB Matt Barkley, USC

This is a pretty obvious pick actually. McNabb didn't work out, and no franchise is going anywhere with John Beck and Rex Grossman leading the team. Matt Barkley is the best QB available at this spot, and he is capable of being a good starter in the NFL.

7. Kansas City Chiefs- QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Matt Cassel is an alright starter, but he is far from the franchise QB this team needs. They have a few other needs, some that are maybe more pressing than the QB. However, I go by the theory that you never pass on a franchise QB if you need one. Without a doubt, it's the most important position. I fully believe that the Chiefs will make the right call here.

8. Arizona Cardinals- OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford

I apologize to any Arizona fans, but I don't believe they made the right call in the Kolb deal. Although, I don't believe they will admit defeat after one season. If they do choose to go with Kolb for another year, they are going to need to get him some protection, and Martin can come right in to start from day one.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars- WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

The jury is still out on Gabbert, but so far I'm not impressed. However, before anyone can make a true read on him, he needs a legit target to throw to. Before this season, I would have Alshon Jeffery here. But I feel that he has slipped a bit and Floyd is the best available. He should be an immediate upgrade.

10. Cleveland Browns- DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

I feel their biggest need is a true #1 WR, but as I stated above, Jeffery has taken a bit of a hit lately. So they turn their attention to their next biggest need, and take the best D-Lineman in the draft.

11. San Diego Chargers- NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

This is quite a bit of a reach I think, but it fills a big need and will be worth it when all is said and done. This Chargers team is far from the team it has been in the past, and if they want to right the ship, it has to start on defense.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
The Bucs made a complete youth movement along their D-line, and continue it in the secondary. On top of that, their current starter Aqib Talib, is one law incident away from the unemployment line. Kirkpatrick will be a solid starter in the NFL.

13. Seattle Seahawks- QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma

The last of the top QBs has taken a bit of a hit lately, and probally should fall even further than this. But with Seattle currently led by Tarvaris Jackson, they will be desperate for an answer. I'm not sure that Jones will be a great starter, but the tools are there.

14. Buffalo Bills- DE/LB Melvin Ingram, Soth Carolina

Buffalo has quite a few weapons on offense, but their defense is lacking. One of, if not their biggest need, is a solid pass rush. They drafted Aaron Maybin a few years back, and that got them nothing. They failed to address the position since then, and it shows. They need that pass rush to strike fear in QBs, and Ingram could be that guy.

15. Tennessee Titans- OG David DeCastro, Stanford

Chris Johnson has been on an absolute landslide this year, but I am a firm believer that their line has been a major cause of that. DeCastro is arguably the best lineman in the draft, and will be a major step towards rebuilding their run game.

16. Denver Broncos- RB Trent Richardson, Alabama

Richardson is hyped up to be the best thing since Adrian Peterson, and he is proving it on the field. He should be going earlier than this, but there just isn't a huge need for him. But the Broncos snatch him up here, and they will benefit greatly.

17. Philadelphia Eagles- LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.

With all of the money the Eagles have spent lately, they have completely ignored the LB position. Not anymore, as they take the best inside backer available. This will help solidify a defense that already has very good players.

18. Cincinnati Bengals- CB Janoris Jenkins, Northern Alabama

Bengals are disappointed that they just missed out on Richardson, but they turn their attention to the other side of the ball. They take Jenkins to replace Johnathan Joseph, who I believe they miss quite a bit. He has a few character issues, but the Bengals are known to overlook those things if the talent is there.

19. Detroit Lions- DE Vinny Curry, Marshall

Like Tampa, Detroit has done a good job adding youth and talent to their defense. But they are still a couple pieces away, and they add a top rusher next to Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairly. Well, atleast Fairly. Suh will be there until his next suspension.

20. New York Giants- LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College

The Giants remind me a bit of the Eagles. They have all of these pieces in place, but they fail to address a select few positions and it comes back to bite them. Like the Eagles, they need help at LB. I'm not truely sold on Kuechly, but he is the best available to fill the top need.

21. New York Jets- OT Riley Reiff, Iowa

The Jets continue to fall short of expectations, and I am no longer sold on Sanchez being a top QB. But the Jets are, and they are going to be looking to protect him. I wouldn't be surprised with a pass rusher here, but I feel they will be looking for O-line help.

22. Cleveland Browns (via Atlanta Falcons)- WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

So thanks to the Julio Jones trade last draft, the Browns pick again. Earlier I mentioned the Browns needed a WR, and they take the best one available here. Once regarded a top 10 pick, Jeffery's stock has taken quite a bit of a hit lately. But I think the potential is still there to be a true target, and the Browns won't wait any longer.

23. Cincinnati Bengals (via Oakland Raiders)- RB Lamar Miller, Miami

Similar to the pick above, the Bengals get another pick thanks to Carson Palmer. After missing out on Trent Richardson earlier, they get the next top RB here in Lamar Miller. Miller is having a great season, and should be able to continue that at the next level.

24. Dallas Cowboys- S Mark Barron, Alabama

For a long time now, the Cowboys have had problems in the secondary. They address it by taking Mark Barron, the top safety in the draft.

25. Chicago Bears- WR Kendall Wright, Baylor

Watching the Baylor games, all eyes are on Griffin. However, Kendall Wright is the one there to catch all of his passes. He shows great speed and even better moves to evade defenders. Chicago has a great defense, no doubt. Adding Kendall Wright gives the offense another weapon, and another step closer to caching up to the defense.

26. Pittsburgh Steelers- LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

The Steelers have long had one of the top defenses in the NFL, and it doesn't look to change anytime soon. Their linebackers aren't getting any younger though, so they pick up a good one in Te'o to be the future for their defense.

27. Houston Texans- S T.J. McDonald, USC

Houston's defense has been a bit of a surprise to me this year. They have alot of top young talent in Mario Williams, J.J. Watt, and Connor Barwin. One area they are lacking is the secondary, but McDonald will change that quickly.

28. New England Patriots (via New Orleans Saints)- LB Zach Brown, North Carolina

In another trade done in last year's draft, the Patriots now have two picks. They also happen to be right next to eachother. They recently switched to a 4-3 defense, and I'm not a fan of it, but it has seemed to work for them. However, if they are going to stick with it, they need some more pieces. Zach Brown is a top talent, who probally should have gone higher. He will immediatly help this team.

29. New England Patriots- WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers

As if Tom Brady really needs anything else, the one thing their offense lacks is a true #1 receiver. I think that Sanu has that ability, and even though it may be a bit early, I think the Pats take him here.

30. San Francisco 49ers- CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

Another team, another great defense. The top defense actually. However, they do have a glaring hole at corner. If they find a true shutdown CB, I think this team will be very tough. They take the best one available here, and their great defense gets better.

31. Baltimore Ravens- OT Mike Adams, The Ohio State University

The Ravens have a very strong team, but they need to find a true LT. Michael Oher is better suited to play the right side, and Mike Adams can be their answer on the left. After serving a 5 game suspension, Adams has come in and shown why he is a 1st round talent.

32. Green Bay Packers- DE/LB Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.

The Packers will finish the season undefeated. I have no doubt about that. Their offense has more weapons than I can count, and their defense is top notch. Led by Clay Matthews, the defense is pretty scary. So how do you make it even scarier? Add the top pass rusher to play opposite Matthews.

SickwithIt1010
11-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Love the eagles pick

Xiomera
11-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't think you quite grasp the current depth of the Lions DLine.

Avril IS a top pass rusher and Vanden Bosch, Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young are all good ends.

49erNation85
11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
good sf pick. Nice job.

JPF
11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Agree with your pick for the Panthers, just not the logic behind it. The team has 5 young WR's (1st or 2nd year) on the roster (6 if you count Gettis who is on the IR) who are adjusting to a new scheme without the luxury of a normal offseason. Only reason to take a WR in that spot is for a future #1 WR, but even then as horrible as the defense is that would be a luxury pick.

Phins827
11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't think you quite grasp the current depth of the Lions DLine.

Avril IS a top pass rusher and Vanden Bosch, Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young are all good ends.

no doubt Avril is good. And Vanden Bosch is good too, but he's no youngin. I view Jackson as good depth rather than a solid starter

Xiomera
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
no doubt Avril is good. And Vanden Bosch is good too, but he's no youngin. I view Jackson as good depth rather than a solid starter

CB or OT for the Lions. Even LB is better. Won't go DLine 3 years in a row. The Lions can plug in lesser DEs and get production if need be because of our interior lineman.

rawdawg
11-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Agree, the Lions won't go DL 3 years in a row. Even though, Avril will not be part of that DE rotation next year. Someone is going to pay him a lot of money and it won't be Detroit.

As for the Bears pick, it's OK. I don't think WRs are going to go that early though. I think last year's WR class was stronger at the top and you still didn't have 5 WRs off the board until Torrey Smith went 56th or something like that. I'd be fine with Kendall Wright, but I'd hope it's in the 2nd due to a trade down or up.

Xiomera
11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Where do you get your info, rawdawg? Avril it going nowhere.

Brown Leader
11-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Jags GM Gene Smith has avoided guys with character issues so I think they'll pass on Floyd. That leaves him all to the Browns. Yay. Everything else I'm pretty much with you on. I'm starting to see alot of mocks with Tyler Wilson coming out. If he declares I think he'll be a Brown.

vidae
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Fantastic KC pick.

T-RICH49
11-27-2011, 10:54 PM
love KC's pick

ChicagoBearsVet23
11-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Give the Bears Te'o, Dennard, or Brown

dannyz
11-28-2011, 12:54 AM
I like almost all the Picks except for the Bears. I agree they need a True Number 1 WR but not Kendall Wright. Wright could be a #1 in the NFL but he is like every other Bears WR they have now. Small but Really Fast expect for Roy Williams but he is not very good anyways. Sanu would probably be a Better Pick but every thing else was Really Good.

Matthew Jones
11-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Jerod Mayo is the Patriots' weakside linebacker in the 4-3, and it seems like New England would like to get back to a 3-4 if they can find the pieces for it, so Zach Brown doesn't make much sense. Sanu seems like a slight reach but I could see that pick potentially happening.

AntoinCD
11-28-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm really starting to warm to the idea of taking a WR high this year. It seems as though the Pats are handicapped anytime they try to have more than just Welker and Branch at WR. It's almost like playing with 10 men on offense at times. It could be a really scary offense if they could even find someone to threaten to put up close to 700 yards. They don't even need a #1 WR, just someone who can make a defense pay if they are left one on one. Sanu seems like the best option at that point

prock
11-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Great Vikes pick. I hope we don't miss out on Kalil.

Trogdor
11-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Not a terrible pick for the Cowboys although I don't see Barron as a first round talent especially with Dennard on the board. Our safeties (Elam and Sensy) will most likely get extended and the team likes what it has in Barry Church. I wouldn't rule out safety in the first but personally hate the value :(

:D Dennard would be sexy as we will need a future outside CB once T-New moves on.

Thecollegedropout
11-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Jeffrey may be tempting but you made a good draft pick for the Jets.

K Train
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
love teo there....but mike adams and alfonzo dennard being on the board too would have me going crazy while they are on the clock