PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer did what????

Ozzy
11-28-2011, 07:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7289592/urban-meyer-joins-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-1-year-hiatus-sources-say

How could this guy do this? He leaves Florida because he has "healthy concerns" and to spend more time with his "family"....

Then he becomes an ESPN analyst because I guess family time is not that important...

Now becomes the next head coach at Ohio State?

Honestly is Florida that bad of gig, to get out of there for some reason, then just go back into coaching?

This is seriously messed up if this is all true...

Smooth Criminal
11-28-2011, 07:44 AM
I honestly don't think he planned this one. No one expected Tressel to be out when Meyer quit. When this opportunity came up I just think he had to take it. He probably always planned on coaching again, I don't think he thought it would be this fast though.

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Wooooooooooooooo

sbh15
11-28-2011, 07:53 AM
meyer is a dirty scum

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 07:58 AM
I think that you guys are giving him too much **** for wanting to coach again. He spent some time off with his family, worked at ESPN but can you really fault a guy for holding a job?

Then a golden opportunity falls in your lap that you've probably always dreamed about. Can't fault him there. By all accounts and rumors before this became official THE Ohio State University is allowing him to higher a superstar staff to help take some of the pressure off of him

sbh15
11-28-2011, 08:15 AM
I think that you guys are giving him too much **** for wanting to coach again. He spent some time off with his family, worked at ESPN but can you really fault a guy for holding a job?

Then a golden opportunity falls in your lap that you've probably always dreamed about. Can't fault him there. By all accounts and rumors before this became official THE Ohio State University is allowing him to higher a superstar staff to help take some of the pressure off of him

not really. he almost quit florida once citing that he was severely concerned for his own health. the next season he was clearly not fully there, so he retired. i can't fault him for taking the espn job because it's low stress and would allow him to spend time with his family.

now he's coaching ohio state? he's completely going back on everything he's ever said. not to mention he will be spending no time with his family because it's nearly impossible to build a team out of players in that area. he's going to be all over the country recruiting and have more stress than ever.

he's a lying p.o.s, and it's sad because i defended him until he left florida. parents aren't going to want their kids playing for this guy because he shows zero loyalty to his schools -- he quit on florida twice. he also left florida in a wreck because of the way he handled his retirement.

bottom line is, the dude is a selfish, lying son of a gun. he's a great coach, and braxton miller is going to have an awesome career in his offense, but don't confuse a good coach with a good person.

SolidGold
11-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Worst kept secret ever. Have to agree with SBH too. Didn't Meyer almost have a stroke or heart attack which caused him to leave Florida?

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
not really. he almost quit florida once citing that he was severely concerned for his own health. the next season he was clearly not fully there, so he retired. i can't fault him for taking the espn job because it's low stress and would allow him to spend time with his family.

now he's coaching ohio state? he's completely going back on everything he's ever said. not to mention he will be spending no time with his family because it's nearly impossible to build a team out of players in that area. he's going to be all over the country recruiting and have more stress than ever.

he's a lying p.o.s, and it's sad because i defended him until he left florida. parents aren't going to want their kids playing for this guy because he shows zero loyalty to his schools -- he quit on florida twice. he also left florida in a wreck because of the way he handled his retirement.

bottom line is, the dude is a selfish, lying son of a gun. he's a great coach, and braxton miller is going to have an awesome career in his offense, but don't confuse a good coach with a good person.

I'm not trying to sound like a Buckeye homer here but for the most part this has been what THE Ohio State University has built successful teams around for a long time now. The state of Ohio is no slouch in recruiting. Yes we take players from other big states as well and he probably will target Florida specifically but it's not impossible to get most of your recruits from Ohio, especially the lower tier guys (3 and some 4 star guys)

He also gave Florida two national championships. I get where people might get mad but it's not like he left with the underhanded purpose of becoming the coach at THE Ohio State University.

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Worst kept secret ever. Have to agree with SBH too. Didn't Meyer almost have a stroke or heart attack which caused him to leave Florida?

Supposed heart conditions I believe though SBH might know more than I

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Really don't see the big deal...saban and petrino were worse imo...this is nothing

SolidGold
11-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Ohio St should have no issues winning a NC. They get a lot of talent from Ohio/Mich/Western Pa. This move does obviously help the BIG10. Michigan is on the upswing and Wisconsin is solid. Penn St might be looking at a few lean years depending on who they get as the replacement.

sbh15
11-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Really don't see the big deal...saban and petrino were worse imo...this is nothing

i'm not that mad, i'm just stating my reasons for considering meyer a scummy person. i believe that saban and petrino are even worse, for sure. like i said, meyer is a very good coach, and i will take the two national championships he won even though the team is a wreck right now. i hope he does well at ohio state. i'm just saying that any criticism he gets for being a piece of **** is well deserved.

and as for his reason for leaving, he claimed health problems having to do with his heart because of stress. there were a lot of rumors, though, like that he was sleeping with a student and his wife made him leave to straighten out the marriage. i also believe that he couldn't really tolerate the level of cheating (pay for play) that the sec has reached and wanted to get out of it while he could.

also, with the kids sec teams are pulling from the south, there's no way you can field a national championship team out of the ohio/pennsylvania area unless there's not an undefeated sec team. athletes from the south are too big, strong, and flat out good these days and recruiting 3 and 4 stars from up north isn't cutting it.

Smooth Criminal
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with it. I would have if he hadn't taken a year off, or if it was planned hed go to Ohio State when he retired. When Tressel stepped down, it opened up what is probably Meyers dream job, and who know when he would have had an opportunity like this again had he not taken it now. If OSU made another hire Meyer probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the school ever again.

sbh15
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with it. I would have if he hadn't taken a year off, or if it was planned hed go to Ohio State when he retired. When Tressel stepped down, it opened up what is probably Meyers dream job, and who know when he would have had an opportunity like this again had he not taken it now. If OSU made another hire Meyer probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the school ever again.

yes, but his whole stated reason for leaving uf was to spend more time with his family and reduce his stress load. it's not a matter of him leaving uf just to go to ohio state, because coaches change schools all the time. the real issue i have is that he is contradicting himself completely by taking back all of the responsibility and then some that he had at uf. he lied to the faces of florida fans. it's just a scumbag move.

i would have no qualm with meyer if he had just told the truth about why he left florida. but instead he claimed health/family problems, got the sympathy of our fanbase and bailed. now he's right back in coaching? it's shady on his part

jth1331
11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
People don't see anything wrong with Meyer retiring from Florida for health concerns, and then after a year take on the Ohio State job which is going to be more stressful?
Seriously?

sbh15
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
People don't see anything wrong with Meyer retiring from Florida for health concerns, and then after a year take on the Ohio State job which is going to be more stressful?
Seriously?

welcome to the world of college football

Dagagad
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
He won Florida two national championships. He could have taken your ma out for dinner and never called and you would have no right to be mad. Seriously..two rings.

Dagagad
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Great hire. Also means I can like OSU as they'll stop playing boring ass tresselball.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
This is a perfect hire for Ohio State. Braxton Miller will flourish in this offense, in my opinion.

However, How do you trust Urban Meyer? He left Florida due to Health Concerns, and felt he needed to retire from coaching for a while. So, after a year, he takes on the task of coaching Ohio State? Really? Did he just want to get out of Florida or was his health concerns not that serious? I don;t know, but this has to be a slap in the face to Florida.

BuckeyeDan17
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah. Weird. Concerned with heart problems, and you're taking on a job with one of the most demanding, spoiled fanbases the world has ever seen. Lot of pressure for a guy that had trouble keeping his stress levels controlled.

However, I'll take it.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I like the hire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are whining like little babies about Meyer going back into coaching after a year off.

I mean, a year off to recharge and the job that you've dreamed about since you were a kid falls into your lap while getting paid $5.8M per year is something that you should definitely not take.

Yeah, it's high pressure. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. Hopefully he's figured out a bit more about how to balance life and work.

The whining is definitely bringing me additional joy to the news of the hire.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I like the hire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are whining like little babies about Meyer going back into coaching after a year off.

I mean, a year off to recharge and the job that you've dreamed about since you were a kid falls into your lap while getting paid $5.8M per year is something that you should definitely not take.

Yeah, it's high pressure. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. Hopefully he's figured out a bit more about how to balance life and work.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.

It;s not whining there bud. It's just odd to see him retire due to health concerns, then wind up coaching again a year later. I'm not even a Florida fan, so nothing against them.

It's a great hire for Ohio State and think they'll be a NAT'L Title contenders in the next year or 2. But did Meyer just want to get out of Florida? That I don't understand.

diabsoule
11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I've heard several rumors that the "health concerns" were a cover-up for something else and that his family forced him to step down from being head coach there and relocate for reasons unrelated to his health.

keylime_5
11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I honestly don't think he planned this one. No one expected Tressel to be out when Meyer quit. When this opportunity came up I just think he had to take it. He probably always planned on coaching again, I don't think he thought it would be this fast though.

that's exactly what it is. he grew up in ohio, coached at ohio state in the '80s, was from a family of huge buckeye fans, too good of an oppurtunity to pass up.

diabsoule
11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Ohio State was one of Meyer's dream jobs. He took a year off after coaching for 10 straight years and then when this opportunity came up and OSU approached him he took it. There aren't many people that would turn down their dream job.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 10:51 AM
You suddenly feel a little "healthier" when you're not having to coach against the Nick Saban's and Les Miles in the SEC.

He'll get his ass smoked against one of 'em in a BCS game in a few years anyway.

keylime_5
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I think it turned out he was healthier than he thought in his downtime as well. his health problems ended up not being heart related after all - plus i think taking time off wasn't just about his health but about spending time with his family as well. I would feel a lot better at $5.7M a year in my pocket too.

Grizzlegom
11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think Meyer planned on coming back to coaching so soon. If you said to me when he retired that both the Penn State and Ohio State jobs would be open for him to choose from in a year, I'd have said you were crazy. When a job like that opens up, you take it. That's why I don't have any issues with this. Its not like Petrino or Saban that abandoned a team midseason to IMMEDIATELY go to another job.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Ohio State was one of Meyer's dream jobs. He took a year off after coaching for 10 straight years and then when this opportunity came up and OSU approached him he took it. There aren't many people that would turn down their dream job.

Exactly. The opportunities for any individual to do that in their lives are extremely rare. He had it and jumped on it.

BTW, I heard those same rumors (i.e. he likey the UF cheerleaders) as well.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
You suddenly feel a little "healthier" when you're not having to coach against the Nick Saban's and Les Miles in the SEC.

He'll get his ass smoked against one of 'em in a BCS game in a few years anyway.

Excellent troll. I give 200 slack jaw points for the troll and a fifteen dollar credit for a fresh pair of jorts for your persistent trolling efforts.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't think Meyer planned on coming back to coaching so soon. If you said to me when he retired that both the Penn State and Ohio State jobs would be open for him to choose from in a year, I'd have said you were crazy. When a job like that opens up, you take it. That's why I don't have any issues with this. Its not like Petrino or Saban that abandoned a team midseason to IMMEDIATELY go to another job.

Agree with this assessment. It's not like he retired with the knowledge that his dream job would be open the following year.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Good news for Fickell (http://yfrog.com/nw7eudgj)?

D-Unit
11-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Happy for Meyer and Ohio State. Match made in Heaven.

ryno626
11-28-2011, 12:24 PM
maybe his family was starting to get on his nerves

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 12:27 PM
maybe his family was starting to get on his nerves

LOL! Good point. Got tired of his wife bossing him around.

Complex
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM

His dream job is actually ND. Anyways he didn't even spend time with family according his daughter, he was to busy working at ESPN. He probably got bored at Florida or his wife made him quit because of cheating(rumors). Sucks to be a Big 10 coach its over bow to you new overlord.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 01:11 PM
His dream job is actually ND. Anyways he didn't even spend time with family according his daughter, he was to busy working at ESPN. He probably got bored at Florida or his wife made him quit because of cheating(rumors). Sucks to be a Big 10 coach its over bow to you new overlord.

His dream job isn't ND. He has a wall sized portrait of Woody Hayes in his basement, he coached at OSU, and he got his masters at OSU.

He had the chance to take the ND job and he didn't.

Giantsfan1080
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Why would the wife make him quit and then not care when he took a new job? Are there no hot cheerleaders at Ohio State? If he gets divorced soon then I'd believe that.

He didn't take the ND job because the administration wouldn't let him loosen up on some athletes academic requirements.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Why would the wife make him quit and then not care when he took a new job? Are there no hot cheerleaders at Ohio State? If he gets divorced soon then I'd believe that.

He didn't take the ND job because the administration wouldn't let him loosen up on some athletes academic requirements.

I can without reservations say that there are no hot cheerleaders or dance team members at Michigan. I almost puked when they kept showing them Saturday. Disgusting and embarrassing for UM.

Dunno about Meyer's reasons for quitting. I've heard various things, from boinking a cheerleader to Foley royally pissing him off. Sometimes you just get burnt out doing a difficult job.

In addition to the slightly more difficult academic requirements (they aren't as high as ND fans try to tell the rest of us) he probably also denied ND because not many kids worth a crap grow up wanting to play for ND. The school lost it's cachet long ago and it's performances aren't winning over this generation either. They used to be one of the only national programs, but that isn't true anymore.

georgiafan
11-28-2011, 01:32 PM
There is a reason they have been calling him Urban Lyer you can't believe anything he says

Smooth Criminal
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM

There is honestly only one hot cheerleader. Trust me, two live in the apartment next to me.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
There is honestly only one hot cheerleader. Trust me, two live in the apartment next to me.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of college cheerleaders in general. Most are really short, have little boobs and big thighs. Looks are secondary.

But the dance team at Michigan was TERRIBLE. Fat piggies with fat piggy faces.

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Excellent troll. I give 200 slack jaw points for the troll and a fifteen dollar credit for a fresh pair of jorts for your persistent trolling efforts.

You have to admit though... the ultimate troll job would be if Saban had a mean streak in him like Spurrier does, Saban would have his agent contact Urban Meyer's agent to help him nail down the Penn St. job as a joke...

..Meyer just might quit again. :^)

I kid...I kid... Little 10 pressure is nothing like the pressure cooker of the SEC. I think Meyer can handle this one.

Either way, perhaps Meyer can keep Ohio St.'s long standing tradition of losing to the SEC in big games firmly intact.

Complex
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
His dream job isn't ND. He has a wall sized portrait of Woody Hayes in his basement, he coached at OSU, and he got his masters at OSU.

He had the chance to take the ND job and he didn't.

" Four years after spurning Notre Dame to take over the Florida Gators program, Coach Urban Meyer called the Fighting Irish "still my dream job; that hasn't changed" on a South Florida radio show on Wednesday.

"Once my kids are done, maybe some day I'll go coach there," Meyer told 560 WQAM. "I don't know that. That's way down the road. Being a father and being able to recruit the best athletes in America within a 5-hour radius of my home, that's why I came to Florida. I thought we could have a great chance at success."

If you donít believe Meyer, well, take a gander at the quote itself, which came from an interview he did with South Florida radio station 560 WQAM, via the ORLANDO SENTINEL: ď(coaching Notre Dame is) still my dream job; that hasnít changedĒ

http://sportsbybrooks.com/urban-meyer-notre-dame-is-still-my-dream-job-21333

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2008/12/urban_meyers_dream_job_is_stil.html
Um yeah it is

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
You have to admit though... the ultimate troll job would be if Saban had a mean streak in him like Spurrier does, Saban would have his agent contact Urban Meyer's agent to help him nail down the Penn St. job as a joke...

..Meyer just might quit again. :^)

I kid...I kid... Little 10 pressure is nothing like the pressure cooker of the SEC. I think Meyer can handle this one.

Either way, perhaps Meyer can keep Ohio St.'s long standing tradition of losing to the SEC in big games firmly intact.

I agree with the pressure in the Big10 being less than the SEC. However, there aren't many higher pressure jobs than OSU.

robert pancake gallery
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
isn't this the same ervin myers that just coached the florida gators to a national championship? LOL

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
lJYoLjKZIQg

Here's to you, Corch.

sbh15
11-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I like the hire.

here's our resident elitist big 10 fan. i seem to remember you being pretty critical of urban's handling of team arrests/suspensions not too long ago. singing a different tune now that he's you head coach, huh? aren't you scared about what meyer and his walking thug squad might do to the glorious ohio state's reputation?

by the way, i don't care that meyer took the job, as i've said several times. all i've said is that he's a lying scumbag. i hardly think that you can argue that point.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
here's our resident elitist big 10 fan. i seem to remember you being pretty critical of urban's handling of team arrests/suspensions not too long ago. singing a different tune now that he's you head coach, huh? aren't you scared about what meyer and his walking thug squad might do to the glorious ohio state's reputation?

by the way, i don't care that meyer took the job, as i've said several times. all i've said is that he's a lying scumbag. i hardly think that you can argue that point.

I am flattered that you think I'm elitist :)

FWIW, I think Urban is medium dirty. Much worse than Tressel, whom I don't even think was that dirty, especially compared to every other successful CFB coach (another FWIW, I said JT should have been fired/resigned for his role in not reporting tatgate).

I worry that Meyer is going to get OSU into more trouble while under FTM probation which would mean bowl bans and major scholarship reductions. Particularly with recruits that are sketchy.

I think he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He talked up loving UF while having an out in his contract for UM, ND, and OSU. He made insane promises/lies to recruits at UF. He looked the other way while a bunch of players were getting into minor-medium serious trouble.

But most of all, I worry that Meyer is going to mail it in after a season or two of insane OSU fans bugging him everywhere.

I worry that his offense isn't as special as it used to be now that everyone has seen it for almost 10 years. I worry that Luke Fickell is going to be DC and is going to bring the same soft brand of defense that Heacock employed.

I think it's a good hire, but I have big reservations due to those reasons.

I can't help but laugh at the angst it's causing UF fans. He gave you guys two freaking NCs in the few years he coached there. Much better than the Old Ball Coach, but you guys seem to love that rat more than Meyer.

49erNation85
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
He is still a big douche for leaving Florida on how he handled it. Stating on how much his Health and Family meant to him... LA LA LA is all we heard about for a whole season . Just pathetic if you ask me. He is offense is nothing to talk about yes he put up big numbers and brought in some big talent for Florida. I hope he enjoys a wuss out conference he is n now with OSU . More reason for me hate that school...

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
He is still a big douche for leaving Florida on how he handled it. Stating on how much his Health and Family meant to him... LA LA LA is all we heard about for a whole season . Just pathetic if you ask me. He is offense is nothing to talk about yes he put up big numbers and brought in some big talent for Florida. I hope he enjoys a wuss out conference he is n now with OSU . More reason for me hate that school...

Well said. That is if you are a mildly ********, ESL middle school student.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM

What in the hell did you just say?

draftguru151
11-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Meyer was the scummiest of scum while he was at UF. And I'm perfectly fine with him taking a year off then going to coach at OSU. He didn't want to coach at UF for whatever reason (health, them sucking, 803850395 arrests), so he stopped coaching there. Then a year later a great job he wants comes open and they want to pay him a boatload of money. Who doesn't take that?

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Meyer was the scummiest of scum while he was at UF. And I'm perfectly fine with him taking a year off then going to coach at OSU. He didn't want to coach at UF for whatever reason (health, them sucking, 803850395 arrests), so he stopped coaching there. Then a year later a great job he wants comes open and they want to pay him a boatload of money. Who doesn't take that?

Yeah, but your first sentence resonates with me. Will he continue to be scummy? He's talking the talk at the press conference, but that's what good salesmen do. I'd have to say that he probably stays scummy.

Don't get me wrong, it's hard not to get excited listening to the guy talk. Especially after a decade of Mr. So Forth and his politician speech.

Also love the not so subtle dig at getting the nations best assistant coaches, because that is one thing that OSU has been severely lacking, especially on offense.

BigJohn98
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Florida fans were blinded by the two national titles. Now they see the light.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
And yet you're a homer for a team with nothing.

JoeJoeBrown
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Aren't we all hypocrites in life?

I still can't believe that UF fans are pissed at him. TWO NATIONAL TITLES IN FIVE SEASONS!!!

I will gladly take that at OSU and he can go on his merry way if he chooses.

BigJohn98
11-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Two national titles and fourteen straight top 5 finishes is nothing?

Ozzy
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
sbh15

Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia

bottom line is, the dude is a selfish, lying son of a gun. he's a great coach, and braxton miller is going to have an awesome career in his offense, but don't confuse a good coach with a good person.I agree, the guy is just odd....quit Florida because of health reasons then get back into coaching a year later?

So either he does indeed want to have a heart attack and risk death or there really was never that many health issues to begin with.

I thought heart problems were chronic and or have to do with ones genetic makeup, things that cannot be cured in a years time....

BigJohn98

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Two national titles and fourteen straight top 5 finishes is nothing?I think it has nothing to do with that. If Meyer wanted to leave Florida, he could just quit or resign. Say he wants a new challenge and he did all he can do at Florida and move on. No need to site health reasons to do it.... That is the entire issue. If he wants to leave Florida so what, it is how and why he left, that is the issue.

JHL6719

You suddenly feel a little "healthier" when you're not having to coach against the Nick Saban's and Les Miles in the SEC.Hahaha awesome, must read statement, very well put.

mellojello
11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I like the hire.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.Stay classy JJB...

sbh15
11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but your first sentence resonates with me. Will he continue to be scummy? He's talking the talk at the press conference, but that's what good salesmen do. I'd have to say that he probably stays scummy.

Don't get me wrong, it's hard not to get excited listening to the guy talk. Especially after a decade of Mr. So Forth and his politician speech.

Also love the not so subtle dig at getting the nations best assistant coaches, because that is one thing that OSU has been severely lacking, especially on offense.

he'll continue to be scummy, but he'll win a hell of a lot of football games. he might have 25 arrests in a season, but he'll still win a bcs bowl. you just have to be willing to go to the level of agreeing that winning > being a clean program. he made it pretty easy to do at uf

Complex
11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
So how soon will it be until we seen Ohio State on that college football arrest power ranking thing. I don't remember the name but hopefully knows what I am talking about,

draftguru151
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
The Fulmer Cup!

Borat
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
The female student-body at OSU is much less hot so he should stand a better chance of beating those pesky heart issues.

Dagagad
11-28-2011, 07:48 PM
God damn, Florida fans. You have been in a great, great place to bad mouth the guy who brought you two titles. Maybe you should have kept Ron Zook. Hell, hire Turner Gill. Stand up guy and runs a clean house. He would never have left, graduated recruits and never ever recruited felons. Wouldn't that have been nice...

Who cares if he is scummy (I have no idea how bad he is but he is a college coach..typically pretty scummy) dude wins. He can recruit with the very best.

That offense will absolutely work in the Big Ten with the right players. Theres no 'type' of offense needed for any conference. If you can recruit top guys to play in it, it will work.

soybean
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM
At least the Scumage is more dispersed throughout College football now.

It still leans in the SEC's favor though.

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM

I have no idea what you said here but I assume it translates to something like: "I'm an SEC homer"

If I catch the jibe of your jib then I'm assuming your making the claim that the big 10 isn't a good conference and he's going to have it easy (man I love SEC homers)

The Big Ten on most years is the 2nd or 3rd best conference in football. I said this in the other thread but really... who are you going to put ahead of the Big 10?

Pac12? Some years they are better, they have a perennial in USC but thats about it, Oregon falls to almost every major competition they face: USC, THE Ohio State University, LSU... the list goes on, who do they have after that? Stanford? They are on a run right now but I see a huge decline once this draft class leaves.

Big 12? Texas is fairly constant, we beat them in the #1 #2 matchup a few years back and lost to them in a bowl game by a close margin. There is Oklahoma but we all know there M.O. in big games. Kansas has spurts and so does Mizzou but not consistently. OK St is having a rare good year this year.

Is it the ACC? Florida State, Miami and VT have been pretenders for a long time now. Miami beat us this year but hell so did everyone else.

The Big East? I won't dignify that thought with anymore than this sentence.

Some years we are #3 and on lean years may even dip to #4 but it's rare.

Real wuss conference here

JHL6719
11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
At least the Scumage is more dispersed throughout College football now.

It still leans in the SEC's favor though.

I don't know... there's been some pretty scummy cover-ups going on at places like USC, Ohio St., Penn St., Syracuse, etc.

It's more like 'SEC fatigue' setting in that seems to be affecting other parts of the country more than anything else.... as Mike Slive would say...

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't know... there's been some pretty scummy cover-ups going on at places like USC, Ohio St., Penn St., Syracuse, etc.

It's more like 'SEC fatigue' setting in that seems to be affecting other parts of the country more than anything else.... as Mike Slive would say...

Not to be an OSU homer but please don't try and put what we did in the same class as what happened at USC or in the same area code as child molesters...

ElectricEye
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I have zero issue with this. The entire "He sleazed his way out of Florida!" thing is overplayed. It's not like he was leaving for a drastically better job. Shoot, he probably had a better chance to win titles at Florida than he does at Ohio State if these kids from SECland keep staying there. If he really was greasing his way out, he would have left for good the first time. The fact that he came back after that is enough to tell me the guy cares about a little bit more than himself. He made his intentions pretty clear with the university and gave them enough communication to allow them to find what they(and many others deemed) a competent replacement, even offering to assist in the search(not sure how much or a role he had though). He certainly didn't leave the cupboard bare either, Florida was well on it's way to completing a heck of a recruiting class when he left.

But yeah, I'm excited about this. Very good fit at Ohio State and should win a ton of games there.

Rabscuttle
11-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Did his wife okay this thinking she wouldn't have competition in Ohio?

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Boooo to the stigma that the south has hotter women. No one looks hot knocked up at 14 missing some teeth and an IQ lower than room temperature :P

besides... who won the war?

But really, everywhere has hot women

bearsfan_51
11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Two national titles and fourteen straight top 5 finishes is nothing?
I remember the 90s too.

http://www.watchsavedbythebell.com/images/cast.jpg

fear the elf
11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
The female student-body at OSU is much less hot so he should stand a better chance of beating those pesky heart issues.

You're crazy if you think OSU doesn't pull hot coeds.

But really, everywhere has hot women

Exactly. I could never focus while at class, plenty of hot girls. The Oval during Spring is pretty amazing...

Complex
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I remember the 90s too.

http://www.watchsavedbythebell.com/images/cast.jpg

Isn't your team Minnesota? just stop.

keylime_5
11-28-2011, 11:06 PM
i went back to ohio this summer and there are just as many if not more hot girls up there (not including south ohio in the hillbilly part), probably b/c there are more people. there are a lot less "people of walmart" people up there i think. for every smokin hot southern girl around here there are 4 huge fat girls. USC Columbia has some amazing coeds though.

thread talking about florida and ohio of course = hijacked comparing girl hotness.

Borat
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
i went back to ohio this summer and there are just as many if not more hot girls up there

So, we should expect those heart issues to persist?

bearsfan_51
11-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Isn't your team Minnesota? just stop.
I'm not a homer. Plus, I'll never understand the "your team is a reflection of your ability to make comments" argument. I don't play for Minnesota, you don't play for any other team. I cheer for Minnesota because that's where I got my PhD, not because I think they have a particularly strong football program. I'm sure you feel the same way about whatever community college you attended.

I'm giving him crap because he talked about Florida State all year long, was incensed when people (like me) said they were overrated, and now is apparently still talking crap. Mind your business.

keylime_5
11-29-2011, 12:05 AM
So, we should expect those heart issues to persist?

i'm afraid so. :(

actually they said today on some radio show that meyer's health issues in the past turned out not to be heart related but rather indigestion related, which is much less serious.

someone447
11-29-2011, 12:12 AM
He retired because of not being able to handle the stress a year ago. Maybe he started going to psychotherapy and is better equipped to deal with the stress now. Unless you know the whole story don't demonize the man for taking a dream job.

sbh15
11-29-2011, 12:51 AM
He certainly didn't leave the cupboard bare either, Florida was well on it's way to completing a heck of a recruiting class when he left.

the thing is, he did. sure, he was bringing in highly touted recruiting classes... of 18-20 kids. then you account for attrition (ex: transfers) and florida is massively undermanned and totally lacks any depth. doesn't exactly breed competition when you're job is pretty much guaranteed do to numbers. florida's current roster is terribly, terribly thin. oversigning is a necessity at this point

this is why you see muschamp recently totally shifting recruiting focus to juco kids. florida needs kids that can play from day one, especially in the trenches.

BigJohn98
11-29-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm giving him crap because he talked about Florida State all year long

I rarely post on here anymore. I don't know what you were reading.

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Stay classy JJB...

I always am.

With all of the stupid classless posts on this thread you single that one out? Telling.

nrk
11-29-2011, 12:20 PM
This was a great hire for Ohio State. Their fans must be ecstatic, and rightfully so.

As for Florida fans, I understand why they would feel slighted/upset at Meyer, but I don't think they should. He won 2 national championships when he was there, which is double of what they had before. He probably still would have taken the job at Ohio State even if he was still the coach at Florida. He's from Ohio and it's a much more prestigious job.

MassNole
11-29-2011, 04:18 PM
This was a great hire for Ohio State. Their fans must be ecstatic, and rightfully so.

As for Florida fans, I understand why they would feel slighted/upset at Meyer, but I don't think they should. He won 2 national championships when he was there, which is double of what they had before. He probably still would have taken the job at Ohio State even if he was still the coach at Florida. He's from Ohio and it's a much more prestigious job.

With having to actually recruit at UF at that point, I agree he would have bolted. But would tOSU have taken him coming off two 5 loss seasons?

Ozzy
11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Today Meyer did say that he made a mistake and missed coaching too much. So he got back into it....

At least he admitted to that. Good cover for him regardless, because at least he admitted he had a change of heart and possibly was not just trying to get out of Florida and completely lie about everything he said. Still surprising a year off really did that much for him....hope for his sake his health stays good and did not make a mistake coming back.

Not sure I am a fan of the Ohio State classic I-formation turning into quarterback driven running game with little smurf backs though....

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Today Meyer did say that he made a mistake and missed coaching too much. So he got back into it....

At least he admitted to that. Good cover for him regardless, because at least he admitted he had a change of heart and possibly was not just trying to get out of Florida and completely lie about everything he said. Still surprising a year off really did that much for him....hope for his sake his health stays good and did not make a mistake coming back.

Not sure I am a fan of the Ohio State classic I-formation turning into quarterback driven running game with little smurf backs though....

Do not want exclusive smurf back formations. That would blow. I think he uses some I formation or other power running formations at osu occasionally during games.

Here is an excellent breakdown (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/12/florida-gatorurban-meyer-offense.html) of his philosophy at uf. Lots of x and o stuff. Great read.

sbh15
12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
this made me laugh:

Urban Meyer Resigns from Family: Plans to Spend More Time With His Football
by NATHAN JOHNSON

Urban Meyer — most famous for being such a good father and a health nut — has announced that he is resigning from family, effective immediately. This comes as a surprise to many, who cite Meyer’s unprecedented 15 game winning streak at the family’s weekly Jenga competition along with his near perfect enforcement of his hot daughter’s curfew.

At the core of Meyer’s decision to shift gears may be a recent series of health concerns.

“The doctors said that if I spent any more time with my family, I would probably be dead within the year. Most likely of boredom.”

Meyers acknowledges that it won’t be easy making the transition from his high profile gig as the leader of the Meyer household to the relative obscurity of being head coach at Ohio State. On monday, he released this statement:

“I have been focusing on my family for 10 whole months — minus the 8 months I’ve focused on being an ESPN broadcaster. During that time, my primary goal has been to be a good husband and father — and trying not to look like a total ass-hole on live cable TV. I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices that being with family has demanded of me, and I know it is time to shift focus to my football and to winning championships. The decision to retire from my family was not an easy one. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a football community as loving, supportive and desperate as the Ohio State Buckeyes are right now.”

Some critics are skeptical that Meyer will stay resigned from family. They point to 2009, when Meyer, after a 24-hour career as a family man, announced he was retiring from family to spend another year with the Florida Gators. It soon became clear, however, that Meyer’s had never really retired from family, as the Gators went on to a miserable season and a lousy recruiting class. Soon, everyone urged Meyers to get back to what he was really good at — hanging out with the family. Even with this recent announcement, though, Meyer hasn’t ruled out the possibility that one day he may again assume the responsibilities of having a family.

In any case, with Meyer now absent from his family, the search for the next leader of the Meyer household begins. The obvious front-runner for the position is Urban’s wife, Shelley. It’s unlikely, though, that a decision will be made quickly.

“There will obviously be a pretty rigorous review process,” Urban said. “This family is one of the premier in the nation, so I have a lot of confidence that they will be able to find some amazing people to lead it.”

Rumored to be in the pool of candidates is Urban’s soulmate, Steve Addazio, along with former Florida head coach Ron Zook. But perhaps the most qualified candidate to lead the family is current Denver Bronco quarterback, Tim Tebow. As one insider told us, “Tim already has four years of experience making Meyer look better than he really is.”

http://nathanjohnsoninc.com/urban-meyer-resigns-from-family

definitely a bitter uf fan, but funny none the less

Notredameleo
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I can without reservations say that there are no hot cheerleaders or dance team members at Michigan. I almost puked when they kept showing them Saturday. Disgusting and embarrassing for UM.

Dunno about Meyer's reasons for quitting. I've heard various things, from boinking a cheerleader to Foley royally pissing him off. Sometimes you just get burnt out doing a difficult job.

In addition to the slightly more difficult academic requirements (they aren't as high as ND fans try to tell the rest of us) he probably also denied ND because not many kids worth a crap grow up wanting to play for ND. The school lost it's cachet long ago and it's performances aren't winning over this generation either. They used to be one of the only national programs, but that isn't true anymore.

Haha, because there is evidence that proves that "not many kids worth a crap grow up wanting to play for Notre Dame." Youre right, they never get good players..... Also, ND was his dream job, as he has stated, so I dont know how you refute that (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92619-urban-meyer-notre-dame-still-my-dream-job). I'm glad that we didn't get him and his questionable recruiting tactics.

MassNole
12-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Haha, because there is evidence that proves that "not many kids worth a crap grow up wanting to play for Notre Dame." Youre right, they never get good players..... Also, ND was his dream job, as he has stated, so I dont know how you refute that (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92619-urban-meyer-notre-dame-still-my-dream-job). I'm glad that we didn't get him and his questionable recruiting tactics.
Did you really just used Bleacher Report as source material?

descendency
12-03-2011, 04:04 PM
UF is the best job in the country.

Complex
12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
UF is the best job in the country.

Texas is the best job in the country.

sbh15
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM

certainly the easiest from a recruiting standpoint

keylime_5
12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
OSU/UM/Texas/USC/Bama I think are tied for the best, most prestigious job in the country. Notre Dame certainly is a top tier job, but it's barely possible to win there in this era of college football with huge coaching salaries, oversigning, and teams with lower academic standards being able to recruit better.

Dagagad
12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
UM is totally dependent on OSU being bad/down going forward imo. They rely too much in recruiting out of state and out of region. If they can compete on equal terms in Ohio recruiting I might see it.

The best jobs in terms of the complete package, not their history are LSU, OSU, Texas, USC, Florida, FSU and UGA.

The sleeping giants for me are UNC, UVA, and UGA (could absolutely dominate with the talent in that state). There are probably a couple I'm forgetting about.

I'd rather have the UNC job going forward than UM. I think UGA are the big underachievers on that list. Texas should have a tier on their own at the very top. The best job in the country. By best job I mean the ability to build a powerhouse. I think Michigan could be good every few years but they simply don't have access to the talent to be like LSU/Bama are right now. Especially on the D line.

Demographics are a *****...lol. In terms of prestige I agree with your list, but that will change over time.

descendency
12-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Have you seen the amount of talent that comes out of Florida right now? UF has some of the best facilities, talent bases, boosters, and lots more.

There is a reason why Will Muschamp left Texas for Florida.

sbh15
12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Have you seen the amount of talent that comes out of Florida right now? UF has some of the best facilities, talent bases, boosters, and lots more.

what i don't get is why muschamp? there had to be better coaches begging for that job. this isn't to say that i'm already tired of him as a coach, because i think he deserves more time, but florida must have been able to offer more experienced, proven guys the same deal they gave a first time head coach

keylime_5
12-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Florida is in a stinky swamp not the beach, they have to share Florida with FSU, Miami, etc., they aren't a historically presitgious program like OSU/USC/Texas/Michigan/Notre Dame/Alabama. They are right up there but it is more of a feat to create a dynasty at one of the aforementioned schools than it is FLorida. Muschamp left Texas b/c he went to Florida. If Florida is so great why couldn't they pull in a bigger name? Why did they only get Ron Zook when Spurrier left?

descendency
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Why did they only get Ron Zook when Spurrier left?

Florida now, not then. They've won 2 national titles and Will Muschamp was a big name. I don't see how the future coach of a top 5 program (like Texas) is not a big name.

what i don't get is why muschamp? there had to be better coaches begging for that job.

The guy was 1 year (or so) from being the next coach at Texas. That's a pretty big deal. He's not a sexy name like Rich Rod was when he went to Michigan, but look at how that turned out.

The biggest problem is that people think Jon Gruden might coach college - he isn't.

Muschamp has had an excellent defense in a conference known for offense. His only problem was that he had been doing it for too long and people to accept that he was good.

Complex
12-03-2011, 11:30 PM

Texas has just as good facilities,boosters and they don't have to compete with Miami and Florida St. There is tons of kid that come out of Texas.

Muschamp left because Mack Brown decided to come back instead of retiring.

MI_Buckeye
12-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Muschamp left Texas b/c he went to Florida. If Florida is so great why couldn't they pull in a bigger name? Why did they only get Ron Zook when Spurrier left?

Muschamp actually went to Georgia, but he did grow up in Gainesville.

descendency
12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Texas has just as good facilities,boosters and they don't have to compete with Miami and Florida St. There is tons of kid that come out of Texas.

Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, etc.

edit: Florida is #1 in recruits of 4 and 5 stars over the last few years.

Dagagad
12-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Muschamp actually went to Georgia, but he did grow up in Gainesville.

I think he meant he coached at Texas, not his alma mater.

He went to Florida cos he got a HC gig at a premier program. That doesn't mean Florida is worse or better than Texas. I would put Texas ahead though by a fair margin. In terms of potential for championships. I could give a crap about history.

MI_Buckeye
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
this made me laugh:

http://nathanjohnsoninc.com/urban-meyer-resigns-from-family

definitely a bitter uf fan, but funny none the less

LOL, reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbn-jiN6b_E

Dagagad
12-03-2011, 11:36 PM

The only team on that list that gets recruits from Texas on a regular basis are Oklahoma. Even then, Texas dominate that state in recruiting.

I actually think they are a little bit lazy in recruiting though, like they commit too many kids early. I'd like to see them fight for more top guys in the SE.

Complex
12-03-2011, 11:37 PM

I am pretty Miami sure had the #1 class at least once the last 3-4 years.so did Bama, and maybe Texas or LSU. Texas can pretty much get any player they want from the state of Texas(I don't mean literally everyone because their is always a Stafford or Peterson but you get the point). Every school in Texas fights for UT's left overs. Same can't be said about Florida.

Muschamp left because Mack Brown came back.