PDA

View Full Version : New Mock 11.28.11

Razor
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Just thought I'd throw together a quick mock since I haven't done one for a while now. I took the draft order from walterfootball.com. No trades, Xavier Rhodes and DJ Fluker stay in school. I think there's a legit chance that Barkley will stay in school as well, but I have him declaring right now. Comments/feedback is appreciated.

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andy Luck, QB, Standford
I think Manning is done, and what better way to start a rebuilding process than to take what looks like a can't-miss prospect.

2. Carolina Panthers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
Too high? You bet. Kalil is an outsider here I think, but Gross has been good for the Panthers outside this year and should rebound. Panthers need talent on defense, and Claiborne has plenty.

3. St. Louis Rams: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
Rams need someone outside Steven Jackson to make plays for them. Conventional wisdom dictates that the Rams take Blackmon here, but I have a feeling they might want to give their young receivers another chance.

4. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
Really no need to elaborate here. The Vikings have a terrible OL. Kalil is the most intriguing OT prospect to come along since Joe Thomas.

5. Washington Redskins: Matt Barkley, QB, USC
I was never a big fan of Barkley, but I'm starting to come around on him. Looks like a franchise QB and would be a huge upgrade over Rex.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
Basically I'd rather give the Jaguars RGIII and let them move on from the mess that is Blaine Gabbert. However, that's not the way it works. Blackmon is a very good prospect who should at least give Gabbert a chance to succeed.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
The Cardinals have a terrible OL, and Reiff is according to some even better than Kalil. Good value at a position of need equals win.

8. Miami Dolphins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
I don't care how Matt Moore has looked so far. Miami will have a new HC next year, and we all know how they love to get their own guy at QB.

9. Philadelphia Eagles: Zach Brown, OLB, UNC
So much for the Dream Team. Brown should immediately improve what looks like one of the worst groups of LBs in the NFL.

10. Cleveland Browns: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
The Browns are not as bad as their record indicates imo, but you are what your record say your are according to a HoF'er. Kuechly will greatly improve a young and relatively talented defense.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
This might be a bit high, but Adams has loads of untapped potential and should help out on an underperforming KC OL. I considered Landry Jones, but his play after losing Broyles has really soured my opinion on him.

12. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Well, they played them selves out of an opportunity to draft a franchise QB. Instead they get a guy who will make whoever they get in FA look better than he really is. Floyd is likely a better receiver than Blackmon.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Not so sure about this one since the Bucs have had some trouble with their players off the field. However, Jenkins has great coverage skills and should fit in nicely in the system. Huge upside.

14. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
AJ Smith doesn't consider OT as first round value, but seeing as he'll likely be looking for a job next april Martin seems like an obvious choice. The Charger OL looks terrible and will end up getting Rivers killed. Martin Might never be more than a RT in the NFL, but they need to take that chance here.

15. Tennessee Titans: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
The Titan's OL has clearly forgotten how to runblock. That'll change when they get DeCastro, who is a steller interior OL prospect.

16. New York Jets: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
Ryan's defense is predicated on getting to the passer. They haven't been able to do that this year so I'm sure that Ryan will look at pass rushers come april. Ingram has burst on to the scene this year and has solidified himself as a first round pick in a weak DL class. Kirkpatrick was also considered here given Ryan's affinity for DBs.

17. Buffalo Bills: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Clearly BPA at this point, Kirkpatrick should have a different career than the disappointing first round pick Leodis McKelvin. Despite his long frame Dre has elite cover skills and offers a lot against the run as well.

18. Denver Broncos: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Going into the season DT was a huge need for the Broncos, and to me it still is. Broncos defense has played great as of late, largely because of Von Miller and Doom. With Poe in the middle they should get even better.

19. Cleveland Browns - from Atlanta Falcons: Quinton Coples, DE, UNC
This is a boom or bust pick, but the Browns really need an elite pass rusher. Coples has the ability to become just that, but he needs to show up on the field on a consistent basis.

20. Detroit Lions: Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
The Lions must love 15 yard penalties, and they're bound to get some more with Taze playing behind Suh and Fairley.

21. Houston Texans: Dwight Jones, WR, UNC
Not really a lot of holes when looking at the Texans' roster, so why not get a potential stud receiver to line up across from your All World receiver. The rich get richer.

22. Cincinnati Bengals: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fl.):
Benson is a a decent back, but in order to have a truly great offense they need someone who the defense will respect. Miller is a complete back, and this is great value.

23. Chicago Bears: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
Some time soon the Bears will have to replace Urlacher, so why not draft his eventual replacement now so he can learn from Urlacher?

24. Dallas Cowboys: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
With no cornerbacks available who has any value at this point Jones slightly reaches for Barron who should be a huge upgrade at SS.

25. Cincinnati Bengals- from Oakland Raiders: Peter Konz, OC/OG, Wisconsin
With no CB with a first round grade left the Bengals upgrade the interior line which should help boost the running game.

26. New York Giants: Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
With the success the Patriots have with their two TE sets and the players available to the Giants with this Allen is the natural choice in a copycat league.

27. Baltimore Ravens: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Rumors fly that Lewis might be done so this seems like a perfect time to pull the trigger on a player like Hightower who probably won't be what Lewis was, but I'm pretty sure that he'll be a pretty damn good LB in the NFL.

28. New England Patriots - from New Orleans Saints: Devon Still, DT, Penn State
The Patriots are most likely going back to the 3-4 next year which means they need to find a talented 5-tech. Still is having a great season and should fit in nicely in the Patriots defensive scheme.

29. San Francisco 49ers: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
Braylon Edwards has been a disappointment so far and Crabtree isn't what the 49ers envisioned at this point. Sanu won't ever be mistaken for AJ Green, but he has good hands and can create yards after the catch. Good fit too.

30. New England Patriots: Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
I was torn between Perry and Upshaw, but in the end upside won the battle. Perry could be what the Patriots have needed at OLB since McGinest left.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
The Steeler OL has been an issue for some time now. Getting a huge road grader who can pass block will make Roethlisberger one happy camper.

32. Green Bay Packers: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
It's been known for a while now that the Packers could need a pass rusher opposite of CMIII. Upshaw seems like a good fit and is probably BPA at this point.

regoob2
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I wish the Bears would trade up for Coples. :(

coordinator0
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Ravens taking Hightower, but with how your board fell that's probably one of the best picks for Baltimore. Dennard might get some consideration as well. We don't really need another CB but I think Cary Williams can be upgraded and Webb's best fit is in the slot.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I can dig it

T-RICH49
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
hate that all the QB's are gone

prock
11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Rams will not pass on Kalil. But I like it.

Brown Leader
11-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Browns are last in the league in runs over 10yds, last in the league in plays overall over 20yds and last in the league in drops. I'd love to see blue chip pieces added to the defense but I'm not sure we can afford it.

mqtirishfan
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd argue that conventional wisdom actually states that the Rams won't spend the third overall pick on the one position they're good at, but whatever.

JPF
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Solid pick for the Panthers, but Gross isn't the reason the Panthers need an OT. It's Otah and his constant injuries. He'll have played in 29 out of a possible 64 regular season games since being drafted after this season.

Razor
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
hate that all the QB's are gone
Yeah, I was thinking about Landry and Tannehill, but I didn't like the value there. Pretty good chance of getting one of those in the second though...

Browns are last in the league in runs over 10yds, last in the league in plays overall over 20yds and last in the league in drops. I'd love to see blue chip pieces added to the defense but I'm not sure we can afford it.
I don't see you can afford not to take those blue chip players. Your offense is atrocious, I'll give you that. But your defense is even worse imo.

I'd argue that conventional wisdom actually states that the Rams won't spend the third overall pick on the one position they're good at, but whatever.
I see your point, but Jackson is 28 and is a FA this spring iirc. Rich is like Jackson, just better. What's not to like?

I'm not a huge fan of the Ravens taking Hightower, but with how your board fell that's probably one of the best picks for Baltimore. Dennard might get some consideration as well. We don't really need another CB but I think Cary Williams can be upgraded and Webb's best fit is in the slot.
I actually changed my pick for the Lions, and forgot all about Dennard. I probably would've mocked him to the Bengals instead of Konz, so Hightower would be the pick regardless.

49erNation85
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Solid Sf ,however, I would like address our CB or S need first round.

DiG
11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
barkley would be dead sexy! nice job.

coordinator0
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I actually changed my pick for the Lions, and forgot all about Dennard. I probably would've mocked him to the Bengals instead of Konz, so Hightower would be the pick regardless.

If Konz was still on your board then he would have to be the pick over Hightower, and I don't think it's even close.

akvikefan89
11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Love the Vikings pick. Darn, all these mocks with Kalil to the Vikings around #4 are gonna get my hopes up, and then it'll never happen...

ChicagoBearsVet23
11-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Great Bears pick

stl9erfan
11-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Very nice Niners pick. No complaints. If Sanu were to be gone, I would also be excited about Courtney Upshaw in that scenario.

Matthew Jones
11-29-2011, 06:07 AM
I'd be happy with that draft but I don't know if the Patriots would draft Nick Perry if he only weighs 250 pounds.