PDA

View Full Version : What Backup QB do you think will be a starter next year?

whatadai
11-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Just wondering...what backup QB do you think will end up starting next year and actually be successful in the long run? List any QB you think has a chance that I haven't mentioned. In no particular order...

Jake Locker- 2 years left on Hasselbeck's contract, but he's starting to show his age and Locker has shown some ability.

Brian Hoyer- UDFA beat out early round picks to make the roster. Has looked decent in spot duty and preseason games. Has sat behind Brady and Belichick for 3 years. Is an RFA and might return to New England, but is he really needed with Mallett on the team and most teams carrying 2 QBs?

Colin Kaepernick- Smith has shown he's only a game manager. Could Kaepernick be the guy that turns SF from an up and coming team into a dominant perennial playoff contender? Smith is also on a one year contract so he might not be re-signed, even though he probably would want to considering Harbaugh has been the only coach that has been able to use him effectively.

Matt Flynn- Shown to be a capable spot starter. Has improved immensely over the last 4 years behind Rodgers.

Ness
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Colin Kaepernick- Smith has shown he's only a game manager. Could Kaepernick be the guy that turns SF from an up and coming team into a dominant perennial playoff contender? Smith is also on a one year contract so he might not be re-signed, even though he probably would want to considering Harbaugh has been the only coach that has been able to use him effectively.

Smith hasn't done anything to lose his job. And it's his first year in a new system. The 49ers are 9-2 with him. Harbaugh would probably use Kaepernick in the same fashion as he's using Alex now.

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Of those 4 I'd say Locker has by far the greatest chance to be a starter next year. He has a great skillset, and even if Hasselbeck is back he is a lock to get hurt. I don't think it's out of the spectrum of possibility that Locker takes his job during an injury, or just plain beats him out in camp.

Kaepernick needs another year adjusting out of that pistol offense, and I think Smith will be back anyways.

I don't really get the Hoyer love as a Patriots fan. He's looked good at times, but not really any better than Mallett or Cassel was when he was here. He has no game experience and has mediocre tools. I think he is a good backup, but I don't think any team is going to hand over the keys to the offense to him.

I kind of get the same vibe from Flynn except he has had 1 good regular season game before against the Patriots horrendous pass defense.

diabsoule
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Matt Flynn. In his brief appearances I have come away impressed and think that if a team is QB needy that they could trade for his services and he'll prove his worth

whatadai
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Smith hasn't done anything to lose his job. And it's his first year in a new system. The 49ers are 9-2 with him. Harbaugh would probably use Kaepernick in the same fashion as he's using Alex now.

But Smith would obviously be looking for a long-term contract worth at least mid to high starting QB money...most likely if he takes them far into the playoffs. Would SF be wise to do that with Kaepernick waiting? And would you really want to spend somewhat big money on Alex Smith? Colin Kaepernick also has the ability that would allow SF to have an actual offense and not depend on their defense. Of course, Kaepernick has to be well coached to reach his potential, but I believe Harbaugh can do that. Alex Smith will always be the game manager, he won't win a game for you, so I don't see the point of giving him a long-term contract. While the rest of your team is still good, why not find a real QB to make your team great?

Hurricanes25
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I want to get a better look at Hoyer. I was a fan of his in college, and he has looked pretty good in the few times I've seen him play.

mqtirishfan
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I think Flynn will get a shot to compete for a starting gig somewhere next year, at a reasonable price. I don't think he'll win his battle, though.

MidwayMonster31
11-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Locker looked pretty good in that limited action against the Falcons, he made some difficult throws, when down, and with Hasselbeck fading a little, Locker might start in week 16 or 17 if the Titans are out of it.
Someone will pay Flynn starting money for next year based on his improvement and decent starts.
With how well Alex Smith has played this year, it will be interesting to see how Harbaugh handles those two. I think Kaepernick can be a beast in that offense, but I haven't seen what goes on in practice and training camp.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 03:07 PM
But Smith would obviously be looking for a long-term contract worth at least mid to high starting QB money...most likely if he takes them far into the playoffs. Would SF be wise to do that with Kaepernick waiting? And would you really want to spend somewhat big money on Alex Smith? Colin Kaepernick also has the ability that would allow SF to have an actual offense and not depend on their defense. Of course, Kaepernick has to be well coached to reach his potential, but I believe Harbaugh can do that. Alex Smith will always be the game manager, he won't win a game for you, so I don't see the point of giving him a long-term contract. While the rest of your team is still good, why not find a real QB to make your team great?

Think they may buy Kaep some more time by slapping the Tag on Alex. Its a lot of cash but for 1 season while you still see what you have in Kaep may not be a bad idea.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Locker will start next year. They brought Hasselbeck in but he is now starting to show his age. I think he'll be named the starter as soon as Houston clinches the division.

Matt Flynn will be a starter somewhere next year. In 2012, he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Somebody (Seattle???) is going to give him a decently big deal that Green Bay will not be able to match.

Brian Hoyer is similar to Matt Flynn except that he is a restricted free agent. This all depends on what New England does. If they put a high tender on him, no team is going to give up a high pick for that guy. But if New England decides Mallett is ready, they may use the low-level tender, making it more likely a team signs him.

i think Collin Kaepernick will be the starter. Alex Smith has been good, but I don't think he has been great. Is he worth the huge franchise tag? I don't think so. I predict he'll hit the open market and somebody will stupidly give him a big contract, probably bigger than what Kevin Kolb got.

whatadai
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Think they may buy Kaep some more time by slapping the Tag on Alex. Its a lot of cash but for 1 season while you still see what you have in Kaep may not be a bad idea.

14+ mil for Alex Smith? I'd rather take a gamble on Kaepernick.

TimmG6376
11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I think Flynn will get a shot to compete for a starting gig somewhere next year, at a reasonable price. I don't think he'll win his battle, though.

He has average tools and above average decision-making. Has been well coached to this point in his career. As long as he goes to a team that has a solid running game and just needs him to make a few plays a game and not throw INTs, I think he could be a decent starter. I don't think he'll ever be a "franchise" guy.

whatadai
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
What do you guys think about Terrelle Pryor? Oakland won't start him for sure since a high price was paid for Palmer...and for QBs, 31 is still young enough for 3-5 more decent years. Palmer also looks pretty good when he isn't throwing to Heyward-Bey, somehow always underthrows or overthrows him. But what will happen to Pryor? He can't sit for that long can he? Or will he be groomed as a backup, WR or TE?

jth1331
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I seriously don't understand the hype for Flynn and Hoyer.
Granted, Hasselbeck was sort of in the same boat and Seattle went out to get him to be their guy.
In seattle, he was solid but never top of the line elite.
No way I think can you pay Hoyer millions of dollars in hopes of him being the franchise QB. No way. Flynn at least has a game or two resume.
I will always remember Rob Johnson when it comes to hyping up backup QB's. Guy had one great game, and Buffalo sold out to get him and he sucked.

whatadai
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I seriously don't understand the hype for Flynn and Hoyer.
Granted, Hasselbeck was sort of in the same boat and Seattle went out to get him to be their guy.
In seattle, he was solid but never top of the line elite.
No way I think can you pay Hoyer millions of dollars in hopes of him being the franchise QB. No way. Flynn at least has a game or two resume.
I will always remember Rob Johnson when it comes to hyping up backup QB's. Guy had one great game, and Buffalo sold out to get him and he sucked.

Wasn't Schaub, Kolb and Cassel in a similar boat too?

nepg
11-28-2011, 03:38 PM
And Delhomme

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM

No. Cassel has a season of starting experience. Kolb had 5 or 6 starts. Kolb is the most similar as he had three starts. But he also had three additional games in which Vick got hurt where he came in and played. Hoyer and Flynn are much bigger unknowns than those three.

RaiderNation
11-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Not listed but I think Jason Campbell will get another chance next year for a team. Maybe a team like the Jets, who really need to figure out if Sanchez is there guy could sign Campbell. It would send a real message to him, unlike what happened this week with Rex giving their back up a rep or 2. Campbell can handle the pressure and play well with that type of talent the Jets have.

dj825
11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
And Delhomme

Carolina didnt make Dehomme the starter immediately. Rodney Peete was the starter and Delhomme was brought in as a backup. it wasnt until the season started and we were playing Jacksonville and Peete was playing horribly that Delhomme came in cuz it was either him or Chris Weinke. Delhomme led Carolina to a comeback and never relinquished the starting job until he got injured.

phlysac
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Alex Smith would be best served staying in SF. Why, after 7 straight seasons of different systems and little success, would he leave decent success to start over AGAIN in a new system.

He wants SF
SF probably wants him.

He'll be a 49er unless he blows up the rest of the season.

jth1331
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Schaub was a bit of a risk IMO as he didn't look spectacular in Atlanta, but Cassell had a full year where he looked like a decent QB in New England. Kolb is further proof of my standing you shouldn't give up a lot to get a former backup QB.
Draft your own QB and develop him over dishing out the dough for an unknown commodity.

Ness
11-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Well if Alex Smith plays well, then why wouldn't we want him back? And I doubt he demands a lucrative contract that is worth a boatload. Unless he performs stellar in the playoffs. I'm guessing he gets a three to four year deal. He's not going to want to go elsewhere to start in yet another offensive system. Especially when he's had success for the first time here in his career.

And Smith has won games for us this season. If you had been paying attention to the 49ers this season you would know that. This "game manager" angle the media is trying to spin is blown way out of he water. Folks that have actually been watching the game and don't have an agenda will tell you that Alex has gotten wins for this team. Just because he doesn't have fantasy football stats that people put way too much stock into doesn't mean he hasn't been an important piece to this 49ers winning games.