PDA

View Full Version : Who are the top safties in your opinion other than Reed and Polamalu?

Ness
11-29-2011, 02:45 AM
We hear so much about these two guys, and don't get me wrong they are great players, but it feels like it's these two and then everyone else. It seems good safeties are either hard to get recognition or perhaps just hard to find a consistent starter at. Brian Dawkins seems to have kind of fallen off the map due to his increased age. I don't watch many Broncos games so I don't know how he's still holding up. Adrian Wilson is another guy I don't get hear talked about much either. So who in your minds are the top safeties in this league other than the two big names that are always thrown out there.

This is actually a position I think the 49ers are weak at. We have two hard hitters in Goldson and Whitner, but not a really good coverage guy. Or rather, not someone I could feel comfortable with as a fan. Of course I know Darren Sharpers' and Ed Reeds' don't grow on trees.

fenikz
11-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Adrian Wilson's play has dropped off with his old age, still the best in the box safety in the league but he is a liability in coverage

George Wilson is certainly playing at a Ed Reed like level this season

Weeze
11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
eric weddle is having a pretty good year for san diego. i think he's got like 5 picks now?

also worth noting, morgan burnett and charlie peprah as a duo are playing some pretty good football up in green bay. tough to get recognition though when you're sharing the field matthews, hawk, raji, woodson and tramon williams, not to mention the shade that the offense is casting over how well the defense has played as of late.

wogitalia
11-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I like to pretend safeties don't exist given I can't even remember the last time we had an even decent one, like honestly I'm not sure we have ever had an average safety since I've been following!

Got a lot of time for the Giants safeties though!

tjsunstein
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Charlie Peprah is playing well above expectations up in Green Bay filling in for an injured Nick Collins, who I think is the 3rd best safety in the league.

SimonRath
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Top 5
1. Ed Reed
2. Eric Berry
3. Nick Collins
4. Troy
5. LaRon Landry

bantx
11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Eric ************* Weddle, no one gives him respect.

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 10:34 AM
How is Cam Chancellor doing? Seems like he and Thomas should be pretty good in Seattle. He's a LB playing safety.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
top guys outside of those two.

Eric Berry
Eric Weddle
Laron Landry

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Moar Earl Thomas. Didn't like him in the draft because I thought his frame was too small, but dude is a straight up beast. Carries a ton of responsibility for the SEA defense.

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 11:03 AM
1a. Plomualu- when healthy
1b. Reed
3. Berry- Sucks he went down this year
4. Weddle
5. Landry
6. Nick Collins- hopefully he can make a come back
7. Rolle
8. Tanard Jackson- if he smartens up, he can be higher
8. Earl Thomas
9. Malcom Jenkins
10. Byrd FS Buf.

ShutDwn
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
1b. Reed
4. Weddle
5. Landry
7. Rolle
8. Earl Thomas
9. Malcom Jenkins
10. Byrd FS Buf.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/24/stories-of-the-season-missed-tackles/

According to that article, Tanard has missed 44% of his tackle attempts this year. Not trying to start an argument over PFF, take it for what it's worth, but that statistic is really terrible.

marshallb
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I like to pretend safeties don't exist given I can't even remember the last time we had an even decent one, like honestly I'm not sure we have ever had an average safety since I've been following!

Hey now! Darren Sharper had that one good year for the Vikings in like 2005.

Nalej
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
P.Chung is a beast... when he's healthy :(

brat316
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
What Happened to Kenny Phillips?

MetSox17
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think Tanard Jackson can get any higher than he regularly is.

Heisman On Dat Hoe!
11-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Top 5
1. Ed Reed
2. Eric Berry
3. Nick Collins
4. Troy
5. LaRon Landry

Ya I agree with this.

gpngc
11-29-2011, 07:25 PM
How is Cam Chancellor doing? Seems like he and Thomas should be pretty good in Seattle. He's a LB playing safety.

Despite missing the tackle by not wrapping up on Helu, costing them the game last week, Chancellor has been among the best defensive players in the entire NFL. He will get All-Pro consideration but doesn't have the name to make the Pro Bowl.

Matthew Jones
11-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Pro Football Focus lists Jairus Byrd, Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Eric Weddle as the top five (in that order.) I've also been very impressed with T.J. Ward, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor when I've watched them.

Heisman On Dat Hoe!
11-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Football Focus lists Jairus Byrd, Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and Eric Weddle as the top five (in that order.) I've also been very impressed with T.J. Ward, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor when I've watched them.

That website sounds like an absolute joke. Byrd #1 overall? Adrian Wilson in the top 5? No Collins or Berry?

Matthew Jones
11-29-2011, 07:38 PM
That website sounds like an absolute joke. Byrd #1 overall? Adrian Wilson in the top 5? No Collins or Berry?

Collins and Berry are both injured so they probably haven't played enough this year to qualify.

fear the elf
11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Top 5
1. Ed Reed
2. Eric Berry
3. Nick Collins
4. Troy
5. LaRon Landry

top guys outside of those two.

Eric Berry
Eric Weddle
Laron Landry

1b. Reed
4. Weddle
5. Landry
7. Rolle
8. Earl Thomas
9. Malcom Jenkins
10. Byrd FS Buf.

I will readily admit that I don't watch many Chiefs' games, but was Berry really so great as a rookie last year that he is being considered by some to be the #2 or #3 safety in the NFL?

niel89
11-29-2011, 07:55 PM
I thought that Berry was good last year and really turned it on later in the year, but this feels like draft hype still carrying over. I just want to see more than his rookie year before I say he is a top safety after not playing a full year.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I will readily admit that I don't watch many Chiefs' games, but was Berry really so great as a rookie last year that he is being considered by some to be the #2 or #3 safety in the NFL?

Mine wasn't in specific order but he was pretty good.

4 Int 2 sacks a forced fumble and a Defensive TD just in his rookie year isn't bad stats wise.

I might have him at #5 if I had to put my list in order

whatadai
11-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Mine wasn't in specific order but he was pretty good.

4 Int 2 sacks a forced fumble and a Defensive TD just in his rookie year isn't bad stats wise.

I might have him at #5 if I had to put my list in order

He was good, but he also had a pretty easy schedule against some pretty horrible QBs and offenses. I'd like to see him have more games under his belt. He'll easily shoot up to top 3 if he gets another season where he does as well. He's probably around 6-8 for me right now.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
He was good, but he also had a pretty easy schedule against some pretty horrible QBs and offenses. I'd like to see him have more games under his belt. He'll easily shoot up to top 3 if he gets another season where he does as well. He's probably around 6-8 for me right now.

Yea, I guess its more just a case of

5a. 5b. 5c. 5d. etc with a few guys right on that bubble for me which is why it was so disappointing that he went down this season. He can easily make him self a solid top 5 in the near future

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
1b. Reed
4. Weddle
5. Landry
7. Rolle
8. Earl Thomas
9. Malcom Jenkins
10. Byrd FS Buf.

Polamalu is not 1a...not even 1b.

Ness
11-29-2011, 08:46 PM
I forgot about Nick Collins. Good player. Wish we had him.

wogitalia
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey now! Darren Sharper had that one good year for the Vikings in like 2005.

Even he stunk as a Viking, though at least he got a few picks here and there but he may have blown more coverages than anyone else we've had, which kind of says it all when you look at the illustrious list of guys we've had.

bantx
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
But he's DARREN SHARPAAA HARDEST HITTIN SAFETY IN DUH LEAAAGUEE

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM

"OH NO!!!!!! IT'S DARREN SHARPAAA ONE'A DUH MOST HAWDEST HITTIN SAFETIES IN THE LEAGUE"

haha love it

phlysac
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm actually very happy with Whitner and Goldson. Of course they can improve, but it's the best duo they've had in San Francisco Merton Hanks and Tim McDonald.

Ness
11-29-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm actually very happy with Whitner and Goldson. Of course they can improve, but it's the best duo they've had in San Francisco Merton Hanks and Tim McDonald.

Probably the best duo, but that isn't saying much. We haven't had a good duo period since those two guys were there. Essentially we have two strong safeties back there though.

phlysac
11-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Probably the best duo, but that isn't saying much. We haven't had a good duo period since those two guys were there. Essentially we have two strong safeties back there though.

I think that Goldson is ideal as a FS if he continues to improve his discipline. He has the coverage skills (speed, hips, ball-skills) necessary, he just tends to gamble and end up out of position. The two safeties the 49ers have would look even better with increased play from the CBs and more consistent pass rush.

K Train
11-29-2011, 11:52 PM
eric berry is the truth. i hate that he got hurt i was excited to see him play in his second year under crennel.
eh, he was last year and is every other year pretty much then he has another injured just meh season. still #1 or #2 i think but really at this rate not for much longer.

co signed

bucfan12
11-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Tanard Jackson has missed tackles, yes, but he's playing without having TC or any practice time. He was out of football for 59 weeks, yet still has 2 INTs, a fumble recovery and 4 pass deflections.

He never really had an issue with that, but I still think even before his stupidty in getting suspended, he was a top 5 talent. Just look back to his 2009 season.

BeerBaron
11-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Mike Brown!

Shut up! He'll get healthy this year, you watch!

In seriousness though:

Seattle has a good young pair. I'm a little surprised Chancellor has turned out to be this good.

But damn, sitting here trying to think of some is difficult. It's not a position of great strength in the league right now. The are some solid guys around, many of whom have been mentioned already, but elite players at the position are few and far between.

When Eric Weddle cracks the top 3 of something, you know there's a problem. Good player? I suppose. Elite player? Hell no. There are some good up-and-comers but outside of Reed and.....well, outside of Reed, there aren't many.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Massively missing in this thread and underrated is George Wilson for the Bills.

bucfan12
11-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Mike Brown!

Shut up! He'll get healthy this year, you watch!

In seriousness though:

Seattle has a good young pair. I'm a little surprised Chancellor has turned out to be this good.But damn, sitting here trying to think of some is difficult. It's not a position of great strength in the league right now. The are some solid guys around, many of whom have been mentioned already, but elite players at the position are few and far between.

When Eric Weddle cracks the top 3 of something, you know there's a problem. Good player? I suppose. Elite player? Hell no. There are some good up-and-comers but outside of Reed and.....well, outside of Reed, there aren't many.

Yeah. Earl Thomas is a ball hawk back there.

indyfan1985
11-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Antoine Bethea from the Colts is still top 10 among all safeties. He is very consistent and doesnt have many injury issues. Remember how good the safety tandem was in Indy with him and Sanders? I think all they need to do is add a SS like Mark Barron in the 2nd round and we've got something similar to that.

TimmG6376
11-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I forgot about Nick Collins. Good player. Wish we had him.

I hope he can get healthy and come back. He and Burnett could become an excellent ball-hawking tandem. Peprah has stepped up and played well, but he doesn't have the range or ball skills of either of those guys.

V.I.P
11-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Tanard forgot how to tackle this season, still a ball hawk though..

vidae
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Eric Berry struggled at the beginning of the year last year but he really started to get it and finished the year strong. He'll be a top 5 safety sooner rather than later.

killxswitch
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Antoine Bethea from the Colts is still top 10 among all safeties. He is very consistent and doesnt have many injury issues. Remember how good the safety tandem was in Indy with him and Sanders? I think all they need to do is add a SS like Mark Barron in the 2nd round and we've got something similar to that.

I don't think Barron will last that long unfortunately. Someone will take him mid/late first, whether it's with their own pick or someone else's.

A Perfect Score
11-30-2011, 11:53 AM

This. Polamalu is so overrated. I'm not sure I'd have him in the Top 5 this season, let alone Top 2.

Ok, maybe Top 5, but thats only due to a severe lack of top end talent at the position. Seriously, for all the safeties that get drafted in Round 1, very few of them turn out. Looking at starters for teams made me sad inside.

BeerBaron
11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
This. Polamalu is so overrated. I'm not sure I'd have him in the Top 5 this season, let alone Top 2.

Ok, maybe Top 5, but thats only due to a severe lack of top end talent at the position. Seriously, for all the safeties that get drafted in Round 1, very few of them turn out. Looking at starters for teams made me sad inside.

You have a problem with Major Wright and Chris Conte?

A Perfect Score
11-30-2011, 11:57 AM
You have a problem with Major Wright and Chris Conte?

Just terrible. Absolutely awful.

Sloopy
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM

This

I know it was talked about briefly in the PP vs Eric Berry thread and I made the argument top safety over top CB any day.

It just seems to me that regardless of how good a CB is, a top safety is arguable more valuable on the sheer fact that top safeties are herder to come by.

/off topic post