PDA

View Full Version : The Jacksonville Jaguars Are Being Sold

diabsoule
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Per Adam Schefter the Jaguars employees have been told that the team is being sold. To who and for how much hasn't leaked but this clears a hurdle for a move to Los Angeles.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Any chance this might mean a move?

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Booo don't want em here

Only team I'd like would be san diego cuz it would make it easier to catch a Raiders game

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 09:55 AM
If true, this blows. Although I am a Bears fan, the Jaguars are my hometown team. I grew up rooting for them in every game except when they played the Bears. I don't think I could cheer for them if they move.

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Per Dan Hicken (Sports Guy in Jacksonville), Shahid Khan may be the buyer. He attempted to purchase the Rams not too long ago.

coordinator0
11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
@SI_PeterKing Peter King
Shahid Khan will buy the Jags.

@SI_PeterKing Peter King
Khan is the Pakistani-born entrepreneur who lost out in an attempt to buy the Rams when Stan Kroenke bought the franchise.

Not sure if that affects them moving or not.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, Khan didn't want to move the Rams when he attempted to buy them, may be the same for the Jaguars.

wogitalia
11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Wasn't Khan from St Louis though? For some reason that is sticking in my head at least...

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Wasn't Khan from St Louis though? For some reason that is sticking in my head at least...

Illinois, but still close. I don't see any reason he would want to stay in Jacksonville. He has no ties there. They have trouble filling the stadium. Everbank Field is nice, but in LA he would have a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium that he doesn't even have to pay for.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm thinking at this point it's all but a certain that the Jags will be moved.

SolidGold
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Clayton from twitter: "The understanding is the sale of the Jags will keep the team in Jacksonville. Press conference at 12 eastern."

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 10:46 AM
They have a lease that's damn near impossible to break. If someone tried to move them, the city would take them to court. Combining legal costs, settlement costs, and relocation fees, you're probably looking at close to $1B just to get the team to move. And that's on top of what you paid to buy them.

Not to mention, the LA group building the stadium wants a significant ownership share.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Clayton from twitter: "The understanding is the sale of the Jags will keep the team in Jacksonville. Press conference at 12 eastern."

Interesting, might see them stay for a year or so but I think that the team will be moving sometime in the future.

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
They have a lease that's damn near impossible to break. If someone tried to move them, the city would take them to court. Combining legal costs, settlement costs, and relocation fees, you're probably looking at close to $1B just to get the team to move. And that's on top of what you paid to buy them.

Not to mention, the LA group building the stadium wants a significant ownership share.

The NFL really wants the team out of Jacksonville. They might help out with some of those costs.

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 11:02 AM
The NFL really wants the team out of Jacksonville. They might help out with some of those costs.

Do they want them out of Jacksonville anymore than they'd want the Chargers out of SD? Or the Bucs out of Tampa? Not saying you're wrong, but there are other teams that have as bad/worse issues than the Jaguars. They just tend to get the brunt of it because the media hated the Superbowl experience there. That city should have never hosted a Superbowl.

bucfan12
11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I don't think LA wants the Jaguars. Not to be a downer, but they might have a lot of work to do.

With San Diego and Tampa, they have a nucleus of talent. Tampa is just inexperienced and think they need a better staff to develop them and a few vets. San Diego just needs coaching to be a super bowl threat.

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I don't think LA wants the Jaguars. Not to be a downer, but they might have a lot of work to do.

With San Diego and Tampa, they have a nucleus of talent. Tampa is just inexperienced and think they need a better staff to develop them and a few vets. San Diego just needs coaching to be a super bowl threat.

Not to mention, the LA owners want a significant ownership share. OAK makes some sense, as I'm sure Al's son still has a fat estate tax to pay. And Spanos' kid will have to do the same, soon.

Plus, the Glazer's are still hemorrhaging money from their MAN-U loans.

boknows34
11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Albert Breer on twitter.

Let me say this about Los Angeles -- The league is determined to get it right in that market. And won't just green-light anyone going there.

Also, the Jaguars' lease in Jacksonville will be a serious problem for anyone trying to move the team. Won't be easy to break.

SolidGold
11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Can LA actually afford a team? CA is a pretty bankrupt state at the moment and any stadium would require public money.

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Can LA actually afford a team? CA is a pretty bankrupt state at the moment and any stadium would require public money.

Stadium is being privately financed by the same group that built Staples Center.

brat316
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
If any team is moving its going to be to Canada.

Dallas357
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Except the jaguars have more talent than Tampa. Despite having a league leading 17 players on ir. They already have a better defense than Tampa. they just have the worst coaching. gabbert just needs a good coach and Blackmon. but unlike Tampa, they've never been horrible enough to pick inside the top 5. Ever. but with a bad Tampa team, a tampa team only able to ever beat Jacksonville in its expansion year. It's another carless win for Jacksonville. Which is really unfortunate.

JBCX
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I hope they become the Los Angeles Locomotives and win a Super Bowl within the next 5 years.

asdf1223
11-29-2011, 01:16 PM
The NFL got cold feet letting Khan have a team in St.Louis. I really really doubt that they are going to let him be the face of the NFL in LA.

Complex
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
The NFL got cold feet letting Khan have a team in St.Louis. I really really doubt that they are going to let him be the face of the NFL in LA.

Why?(10 Char)

brat316
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
yeah I'd like to hear this as well.

ArkyRamsFan
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
There is another scenario to consider. It is very possible that the new owner of the Jags will want to move his team to St. Louis (which is why he tried to buy the Rams a year ago) to be closer to his home.

Meanwhile the owner of the Rams, Mr. Kroenke, will move them back to Los Angeles to play in the new stadium that is being built as we speak.

Sounds like a lot of conjecture at this point but considering that Mr. Khan is near to St. Louis being he lives in Illinois, and Mr. Krorenke serves on a board dedicated to bring the NFL back to the L.A. area some of the pieces are starting to fit.

Also, factor into the equation that Kroenke has a meeting with the Directors of the Jones Dome (where the Rams attempt to play football) in February and the subject on the table to be discussed are the MAJOR (re: EXPENSIVE) upgrades that are going to be required to bring the stadium up to the top 25% in the league. This, folks, will be all but impossible and that is why a NEW stadium will have to be discussed.

You see the Rams have a clause in their lease that if the quality of the Edward Jones Dome falls below the top 25% in the league the Rams can break their lease and exit St. Louis in 2014 with no penalty. Look for this to happen barring the arrival of some one dressed as a white knight.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting offseason.

P.S. I've also heard that the J'ville lease contains a clause that if the Jags lose money for 3 consecutive years they, also, can escape their lease. What do you think the chances of that happening? Yeah, me too....

Dallas357
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM
There is another scenario to consider. It is very possible that the new owner of the Jags will want to move his team to St. Louis (which is why he tried to buy the Rams a year ago) to be closer to his home.

Meanwhile the owner of the Rams, Mr. Kroenke, will move them back to Los Angeles to play in the new stadium that is being built as we speak.

Sounds like a lot of conjecture at this point but considering that Mr. Khan is near to St. Louis being he lives in Illinois, and Mr. Krorenke serves on a board dedicated to bring the NFL back to the L.A. area some of the pieces are starting to fit.

Also, factor into the equation that Kroenke has a meeting with the Directors of the Jones Dome (where the Rams attempt to play football) in February and the subject on the table to be discussed are the MAJOR (re: EXPENSIVE) upgrades that are going to be required to bring the stadium up to the top 25% in the league. This, folks, will be all but impossible and that is why a NEW stadium will have to be discussed.

You see the Rams have a clause in their lease that if the quality of the Edward Jones Dome falls below the top 25% in the league the Rams can break their lease and exit St. Louis in 2014 with no penalty. Look for this to happen barring the arrival of some one dressed as a white knight.

P.S. I've also heard that the J'ville lease contains a clause that if the Jags lose money for 3 consecutive years they, also, can escape their lease. What do you think the chances of that happening? Yeah, me too....

zero. Jaguars are staying in Jacksonville.

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Part of that provision is that they would have to completely open up their books to prove it. Again, this is something that the city would take the team to court over.

Considering the NFL's stance on opening their books to scrutiny during the lockout, it won't happen. They can't just say, "hey we're the only NFL team that has managed to lose money during this incredibly profitable period not just once, but for three straight years" and expect that **** to fly.

Ness
11-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Why is Wayne Weaver selling the team? He just doesn't want to be owner anymore?

jrdrylie
11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Why is Wayne Weaver selling the team? He just doesn't want to be owner anymore?

He is 76. The Jaguars are not all that profitable right now and they won't be until the economy recovers because Jacksonville was one of the worst hit areas. And the Jaguars are now worth three times what he paid for them.

asdf1223
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Why?(10 Char)

The Rams sale was done to Khan but Stan Kroenke being a minority owner blocked the sale. He can't own the Rams since he owns NBA and NHL franchises in another city. But the NFL just let him transfer the ownership to his son just so that he could own the Rams. Just the whole process made it seem like that they were uncomfortable with letting Khan own the Rams.

J-Mike88
11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
He is 76. The Jaguars are not all that profitable right now and they won't be until the economy recovers because Jacksonville was one of the worst hit areas. And the Jaguars are now worth three times what he paid for them.
I hear that about Tampa.... is the whole state of Florida in a worse recession that the rest of the US?

Also, what's the population of the Jax metropolis?
Is it sustainable to have a team there.... with Tampa Bay as close as it is, and the Dolphins being the team that's got deep roots in that state.... although they can't sell out either.

DraftSavant
11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
I assume Florida has negative growth because 99% of the population is retired and the remaining 1% are cocaine dealers in Miami.