PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb released

Shane P. Hallam
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Does someone with a poor QB situation sign him? Bears? Texans? Chiefs?

www.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

diabsoule
12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
The Texans did call David Garrard.....

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
The Texans did call David Garrard.....

Why would they call Garrard? He can't play this season due to an injury. And no no no no on the Bears signing him.

Grizzlegom
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
His hometown Bears are my guess.

Halsey
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
McNabb is no longer a viable starter and his best days were under Andy Reid, who seems to make every QB who plays for him look good. I don't see a point in signing McNabb. A team is better off going with a young guy who might have a future.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I'd rather have McNabb than Josh McCown.

SolidGold
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Please don't sign him Houston.

JBCX
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
What about the Texans?

Could he be any worse than TJ Yates?

With that running game, all McNabb would need to do is fire some long bombs off of play-action. Might be enought to take them to the Super Bowl as long as their defense plays at a high level.

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
what about the Texans?

Could he be any worse than TJ Yates?

Yes he could.

JBCX
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes he could.

Yates is a rookie. Say what you want about McNabb's inaccuracy, or his "heart", he's still an accomplished QB with the ability to play in the NFL. Rookie QBs are completely hit-or-miss in any given game and cannot be relied upon.

This is the Texans' big opportunity to make a playoff run for the first time in the history of their franchise. I'd rather not trust that kind of historic occasion to a rookie that is liable to have a 3-INT meltdown at any given moment. McNabb might not be an elite QB anymore, but he at least won't have any 3-INT games like a typical rookie.

He's kind of mediocre at this point, but he at least is consistent and won't *lose* the game for you. That might just be enough with that defense and that running game.

ChiFan24
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Why would they call Garrard? He can't play this season due to an injury. And no no no no on the Bears signing him.

I think you need to watch some Josh McCown highlights to fully remember how terrible he is. I'd take McNabb.

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Yates is a rookie. Say what you want about McNabb's inaccuracy, or his "heart", he's still an accomplished QB with the ability to play in the NFL. Rookie QBs are completely hit-or-miss in any given game and cannot be relied upon.

This is the Texans' big opportunity to make a playoff run for the first time in the history of their franchise. I'd rather not trust that kind of historic occasion to a rookie that is liable to have a 3-INT meltdown at any given moment. McNabb might not be an elite QB anymore, but he at least won't have any 3-INT games like a typical rookie.

He's kind of mediocre at this point, but he at least is consistent and won't *lose* the game for you. That might just be enough with that defense and that running game.

He might not have a 3-INT game, but he might just go 7-15 for 39 yards.

SolidGold
12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I want him to go to the Colts!!!!

JBCX
12-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Again, with that defense and that running game, that could be enough. The one thing you DON'T want, as a team like houston with a tough defense and strong running game, is a QB that turns the ball over and *loses* the game for you. That's one thing that McNabb just doesn't do.

diabsoule
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter on Donovan McNabb: "McNabb asked to be released. ... Donovan McNabb clearly would like to play in Chicago."

SolidGold
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
The Colts need to put in a claim for him if they are at all trying to win this season. I don't think McNabb is a great qb anymore but there is no way Dan Orlovsky should be starting over McNabb.

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
The Colts need to put in a claim for him if they are at all trying to win this season. I don't think McNabb is a great qb anymore but there is no way Dan Orlovsky should be starting over McNabb.

Dan Orlovsky should be starting over half the people on this forum. But I don't think the Colts really want to win.

soybean
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM
It's going to be Chicago if anyone. He's always wanted to return home... Remember there were still rumors of him being traded there when he was still relevant?

It just sucks he doesn't know how to throw a football anymore.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't know if the Bears want to pay his salary, however.

FuzzyGopher
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
He's only owed a little over $1mm for the rest of the season which isn't too bad if you think he can lead you to a playoff birth. I don't think he can but I'm sure some team is dumb enough to take the chance.

Complex
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Future bear unless the Cowboys are behind the bears in the standing because the Texans are ahead of both.

jth1331
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Chicago or Houston, I'm leaning towards Houston will show more interest.

SolidGold
12-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Dan Orlovsky should be starting over half the people on this forum. But I don't think the Colts really want to win.

Well the Colts did fire someone and name Orlovsky the starting QB. Honestly if I was a fan I would want them to go get McNabb to see if he can inject anything to this team to make them competitive. The franchise does own it to the fans and season ticket holders to try and be a competitive football team and not just blow the rest of the season.

It's sad to say but it doesn't even seem like the media or team is making a big deal about a pro football team going winless and its a huge deal. It should be huge embarrassment to the team but all the media talks about is "Suck for Luck" and how that justifies the Colts blowing. No team should ever just go rollover

Iamcanadian
12-01-2011, 02:05 PM
If Chicago loses this weekend, I think they sign McNabb, they would be crazy to just let the season go down the drain and there is even the chance that McNabb could get hot and really take them far.
If Chicago doesn't act quickly, then Houston will be the winner.
McNabb comes pretty cheaply this late in the season and how much is making the playoffs worth.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't see any reason for teams like Houston & Chicago to pass on him. Everybody knows he sucks at learning a playbook and he's been flat out awful the last few seasons. So you sign him with the understanding that he's going to take a week or two to get up to speed and by then you know if Hanie / Yates are up to the task. As bad as McNabb is, either of these guys could be clearly worse.

Seriously. The only reason he wasn't throwing 3 INTs per game was because he kept throwing bounce passes.

shylo3716
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM

www.twitter.com/AdamSchefter (http://www.twitter.com/AdamSchefter)

Only to be released again next year LOL. He is steady killing his "legacy"

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't see any reason for teams like Houston & Chicago to pass on him. Everybody knows he sucks at learning a playbook and he's been flat out awful the last few seasons. So you sign him with the understanding that he's going to take a week or two to get up to speed and by then you know if Hanie / Yates are up to the task. As bad as McNabb is, either of these guys could be clearly worse.

Seriously. The only reason he wasn't throwing 3 INTs per game was because he kept throwing bounce passes.

I just can't get on board with this. McNabb couldn't learn Martz's playbook if you gave him a year. There is no way he'll be able to learn it in a couple of weeks. If Hanie keeps sucking, I'd rather the team turn to Enderle than McNabb.

On your second point, McNabb is kind of like Tebow. When good QBs miss, it is just by a little bit, which gives DBs a chance to pick it off. When guys like Tebow and McNabb miss, the only people with a chance to pick it off are the guys in the front row and the grass.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, you're probably right. I didn't think about Martz.

BloodBrother
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I think he ends up in Houston

Nikolas
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM

McNabb or Delhomme.

It's like being asked if you want to be shot in the left testicle or the right.

FUNBUNCHER
12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
At least McNabb already knows Houston's offense, it's the same one being run by Kyle Shanahan in D.C.

McNabb at this point is a wild card. Yeah he gives you more than a rookie and a 2nd stringer. But how much and for how long??

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
McNabb or Delhomme.

Left Testicle. Always.

Complex
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM

The Texans didnít put a waiver claim on Kyle Orton and they wonít put one on Donovan McNabb either.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports the Texans are set at quarterback ďat least for now.Ē - Profootballtalk

McNabb Future Bear

shylo3716
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Left Testicle. Always.

What makes the left one any better than the right, because I value both?

FuzzyGopher
12-01-2011, 03:03 PM
What makes the left one any better than the right, because I value both?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Caulibflower
12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
McNabb is definitely not a good fit for Mike Martz offense, but you've got to think a team that would have real hopes for the playoffs if they had a decent QB would be willing to work with a guy who's got a pretty solid career resume. Both Houston and Chicago should be willing to play to McNabb's strengths, because they're both teams with good defenses; they don't need McNabb to carry them to the playoffs, they just need someone who can run their offenses effectively. Houston's definitely a better fit, and McNabb has never had a guy like Andre Johnson to throw to, except for the year and a half he was throwing to TO. I think McNabb throwing play-action to Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, and having Arian Foster, who's probably the biggest threat to take a screen for a big gain of any back in the NFL is exactly the kind of offense McNabb thrives in. His best years were when he had a tall, super athletically gifted outside receiver making plays downfield, and then Brian Westbrook making defenses pay by catching short passes underneath and eating up the space opened up by the long passes. I like him to Houston, it's just that McNabb has really looked pretty bad the last couple years, and I really can't say with confidence whether I think it's more a result of him being on bad teams, or if he's use falling off the ledge at this point in his career. He's really had pretty bad groups of receivers in Washington and Minnesota, though; not only are Houston and Chicago's defenses way better than either of those teams, their offenses are also much better, and Houston's in particular is probably pretty close to ideal for what McNabb has historically thrived in. I mean, seriously - Houston has the best pair of running backs in the league. McNabb would be a game manager for a very strong running team with a good defense, and an elite wide receiver for when they do throw. I think the best situation for him is for Houston to sign him.

Vegas15
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
McNabb or Delhomme.

There hasn't been one point in McNabb's career where he's been worse than Jake Delhomme.

diabsoule
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
McNabb is definitely not a good fit for Mike Martz offense, but you've got to think a team that would have real hopes for the playoffs if they had a decent QB would be willing to work with a guy who's got a pretty solid career resume. Both Houston and Chicago should be willing to play to McNabb's strengths, because they're both teams with good defenses; they don't need McNabb to carry them to the playoffs, they just need someone who can run their offenses effectively. Houston's definitely a better fit, and McNabb has never had a guy like Andre Johnson to throw to, except for the year and a half he was throwing to TO. I think McNabb throwing play-action to Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, and having Arian Foster, who's probably the biggest threat to take a screen for a big gain of any back in the NFL is exactly the kind of offense McNabb thrives in. His best years were when he had a tall, super athletically gifted outside receiver making plays downfield, and then Brian Westbrook making defenses pay by catching short passes underneath and eating up the space opened up by the long passes. I like him to Houston, it's just that McNabb has really looked pretty bad the last couple years, and I really can't say with confidence whether I think it's more a result of him being on bad teams, or if he's use falling off the ledge at this point in his career. He's really had pretty bad groups of receivers in Washington and Minnesota, though; not only are Houston and Chicago's defenses way better than either of those teams, their offenses are also much better, and Houston's in particular is probably pretty close to ideal for what McNabb has historically thrived in. I mean, seriously - Houston has the best pair of running backs in the league. McNabb would be a game manager for a very strong running team with a good defense, and an elite wide receiver for when they do throw. I think the best situation for him is for Houston to sign him.

Paragraphs are your friend

SuperPacker
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I want him to go to the Colts!!!!

The Colts are too busy trying to suck to claim McNabb

Ness
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
If McNabb was released sooner I think he would have ended up a Texan.

Prowler
12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
No waiver claims unless Arizona gets desperate. He'll get picked up by Philly for one day so he can chill with Vick and then be forcibly retired.

J-Mike88
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Where is the guy here who called McNabb a Hall of Famer?
He's horseshit and hasn't ever been even one of the best 3 QBs in the league at any time in his career, usually worse than the top-5.

Still, he could help the Bears..... with the clipboard.

descendency
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised it took him requesting to be released to actually be released.

He's done. Let him retire.

Where is the guy here who called McNabb a Hall of Famer?

He's in the Hall of the Very Good.

Thecollegedropout
12-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Would not be shocked if NYJ puts a waiver claim on McNabb....

I'm just sayin'. Need some relief if Sanchez ever gets hurt, Brunell is not acceptable as a backup.

Abaddon
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM

www.twitter.com/AdamSchefter

He's not an upgrade over anyone at this point. Dude's been awful for years now.

49erNation85
12-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Dude really ? Brunell > McNabb by far dude. They are both the same age just about I bet Brunell has a better arm / accuracy as well. I'm sure he is a better coach too.

I'm with the rest of you just end his career. Never been a fan of his earlier . The only team he was good on was the Vikings back in his early mid career .

brat316
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
His accuracy has turned really bad, not JaWhale bad, but bad. No one is going to sign him, at this point in the season go with what you have.

marshallb
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
The reason that McNabb asked for his release is that he was being demoted to 3rd string: article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Sources_Donovan_McNabb_was_running_scout_team_demo ted_to_No_3_QB120211).

Iamcanadian
12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Only to be released again next year LOL. He is steady killing his "legacy"

Kurt Warner slowly fell apart in St. Louis then was a flop QBing the Giants till he found the right situation in Arizona and went on to take that team to the Super Bowl. Everybody was writing his arbitrary around the league but sometimes you find just the right situation and can succeed again.
McNabb is healthy and could still surprise and recover his lost glory. Sure, there is no guarantees but for Chicago and Houston, it is worth the risk to take a shot and see what happens. Maybe he wasn't suited to be put in a position where a team was rebuilding but perhaps if you put him on a playoff bound team, he just might surprise.

SolidGold
12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
We find out if he gets claimed by 4 PM today, right?

Iamcanadian
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
We find out if he gets claimed by 4 PM today, right?

I expect the Bears to go 1 more game with their current situation before desperation sets in and I am in no position to speak for the Bears or the Texans. Their management teams will have to decide if they want to take the risk on McNabb or not.
Let's see what happens if the losses pile up and it becomes obvious that these organizations have to do something or see their season slip away. Maybe it's 4PM today or maybe it occurs later, I don't make those decisions.

FlyingElvis
12-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Kurt Warner slowly fell apart in St. Louis then was a flop QBing the Giants till he found the right situation in Arizona and went on to take that team to the Super Bowl. Everybody was writing his arbitrary around the league but sometimes you find just the right situation and can succeed again.
McNabb is healthy and could still surprise and recover his lost glory. Sure, there is no guarantees but for Chicago and Houston, it is worth the risk to take a shot and see what happens. Maybe he wasn't suited to be put in a position where a team was rebuilding but perhaps if you put him on a playoff bound team, he just might surprise.

The big difference being work ethic. McNabb has been increasingly worse about getting & staying in good enough shape to be an effective player.

SolidGold
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
The big difference being work ethic. McNabb has been increasingly worse about getting & staying in good enough shape to be an effective player.

Yea, the same questions about his conditioning and work ethic that he had in Washington seemed to also be apparent in Minnesota.

Complex
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Dude really ? Brunell > McNabb by far dude. They are both the same age just about I bet Brunell has a better arm / accuracy as well. I'm sure he is a better coach too.

I'm with the rest of you just end his career. Never been a fan of his earlier . The only team he was good on was the Vikings back in his early mid career .

Burnell is like 42. McNabb is 34? Brunell never had a strong arm so I doubt he has a better arm.

Jughead10
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
The reason that McNabb asked for his release is that he was being demoted to 3rd string: article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Sources_Donovan_McNabb_was_running_scout_team_demo ted_to_No_3_QB120211).

He should have been all long. If you are going to go the rest of the season with Ponder, you might as well have Webb as the #2 to run the Wildcat or something.

diabsoule
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Per Brad Biggs and Adam Caplan: No team claimed McNabb off waivers.

Grizzlegom
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Vikings claimed Rosenfels to replace him.

Bucs_Rule
12-02-2011, 08:12 PM
A team might have wanted him, just not at $5 million. Could sign him for a minimum as McNabb would get paid the remainder anyway.

Sloopy
12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm fuzzy as to what happens if no one claims him off waivers, does he become a free agent?

Crazy_Chris
12-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm fuzzy as to what happens if no one claims him off waivers, does he become a free agent?

Yes(10char).

Ness
12-03-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm surprised Houston didn't roll the dice and acquire him. Might as well. He'd be going to a good team in a system he's familiar with. I'd take my chances with McNabb more than I would Delhomme and Clemens at this point in time. Especially if Yates flames out. McNabb could still make a good backup. Especially on a team like Houston.

SolidGold
12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised Houston didn't roll the dice and acquire him. Might as well. He'd be going to a good team in a system he's familiar with. I'd take my chances with McNabb more than I would Delhomme and Clemens at this point in time. Especially if Yates flames out. McNabb could still make a good backup. Especially on a team like Houston.

Yea but McNabb was diarrhea in the system in washington. The cat is out of the bag with him - the last two teams have complained about his conditioning and work ethic. He doesn't seem to want to put the time in anymore. Kubiak seems to trust Yates, as long as he can move the chains they should be able to get at least two more wins.

Abaddon
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM

EL OH EL OH EL OH EL

Complex
12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Hanie’s disastrous showing in today’s loss to the Chiefs, John Mullin of CSNChicago.com reports that the Bears will discuss bringing McNabb in on Monday.

It could get worst for BeerBaron

Monomach
12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
It could get worst for BeerBaron

I don't think it gets any worse than watching three Hanieceptions per game.

wogitalia
12-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't think it gets any worse than watching three Hanieceptions per game.

You could be watching McNabb not even look downfield and just miss wide open check downs all day whilst looking tired at the end of the first 3 and out.

Just saying, be careful what you wish for, I mean I thought we couldn't have it worse than Jackson and then got stuck with having to "support" Favre.