PDA

View Full Version : NFL's top five pass-catching combos

F.A.M.E.
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
What quarterback-receiver/tight end combos are the most difficult for defenses to stop?

Matt Williamson posted an article on ESPN Insider answering this very question. You have to be a subscriber to read it (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7299712/the-top-five-pass-catching-combinations-nfl) but here are his top 5:

1. Aaron Rodgers to Jermichael Finley
2. Ben Roethlisberger to Mike Wallace
3. Matthew Stafford to Calvin Johnson
4. Tom Brady to Wes Welker
5. Rodgers to Greg Jennings

Honorable mention: Brady to Rob Gronkowski, Drew Brees to Jimmy Graham, Tony Romo to Jason Witten, Brees to Marques Colston, Matt Schaub to Andre Johnson, Eli Manning to Hakeem Nicks

Who are your top 5?

jrdrylie
12-01-2011, 04:07 PM
What a terrible list. Brees to Graham and Brady to Gronkowski are better QB-TE combos than Rodgers to Finley.

wicket
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
as a fantasy owner of finley there is NO WAY that that mix should be #1, prolly not even a top 5 QB/TE combo (Graham, Witten, Gronk and their QBs are higher for sure, Tony G, Gates and a few others can be debated)

Raiderz4Life
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I own Finley too in my FFL and I benched him for Hernandez and getting about the same production

DraftSavant
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Define "better."

F.A.M.E.
12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Since a lot of you guys have asked, here is Williamson's explanation for the Rodgers-Finley pick:

Really, you say? Yes. Really. The numbers aren't as good as other combinations out there, but Finley is the weapon in the Packers' offense that defensive coordinators fear most. His presence alone opens the field up for the other Green Bay receivers. Whom do you put on Finley? A cornerback? With Rodgers' amazing ball placement, Finley will just go up and over just about any cornerback or shield him from the ball with his big body. And how many cornerbacks are going to put Finley on the ground after the catch? How about an athletic linebacker? Sure, that sounds great -- if you can find a 6-foot-4 linebacker who possesses Finley's body control, speed and quickness. Then a safety, maybe? That will work, right? Perhaps. But most safeties fall short in all the criteria listed above. Finley is a nightmare. And that isn't even getting into everything that Rodgers brings to the table.

DraftSavant
12-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I'll say this: I honestly don't know how you defend the Packers when they go to a 3 x 1 set with Finley split as the isolated X receiver and Jennings as the inside slot man.

Prowler
12-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Most difficult to stop...Brees to Colston because of body control, large frame, and accuracy to back shoulder throws.

Most difficult matchup would be Brees to Graham because he has more speed and is better at controlling his space.

Scariest deep ball threat would be Stafford to Calvin right now.

Most reliable would be Brady to Welker.

The QB that's the most difficult to stop would be Rodgers because he has 5 legit weapons every play.

A Perfect Score
12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Of the more established people, I'd go

1. Tom Brady to Wes Welker
2. Matt Schaub to Andre Johnson
3. Matt Stafford to Calvin Johnson
4. Tony Romo to Miles Austin
5. Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings

SuperPacker
12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Finley doesnt get the numbers because hes being double teamed on basically every play. Whenever hes not doubled teamed Aaron always goes to him and its almost unstoppable! Having saud that i dont think its a good as Brees/Graham...

1. Stafford/Johnson
2. Schaub/Johnson
3. Brady/Welker
4. Brees/Graham
5. Rodgers/Finley

bored of education
12-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Finley dictates coverage almost as much as Moss did in his prime. He gets bracketed/doubled/rotating safeties more than anyone in the game right now.

DraftSavant
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Finley dictates coverage almost as much as Moss did in his prime. He gets bracketed/doubled/rotating safeties more than anyone in the game right now.

Exactly. There's more to this than fantasy football production.

Which is why I originally asked: define "better."

tjsunstein
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I see the logic but as far as numbers in comparison to targets and such, there are plenty of better options in the league to put over Finley and Rodgers. I'd put the Saints connection first.

Brent
12-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Romo to Austin? Romo to Witten is better. I swear, he looks for Witten on, seemingly, every play (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Not that I am throwing this into the argument, but how many completions has Alex Smith thrown to Vernon Davis over the years? I feel like it's a high number.

Ness
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Since a lot of you guys have asked, here is Williamson's explanation for the Rodgers-Finley pick:

Graham and Brees are way more feared and Graham gets open a lot more than Finley does.

RufusMcDaniel
12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
This thread lacks Kenny Britt-Any QB

/Homer

Jvig43
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM

lol what? No, just no Boe. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bored of education
12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
lol what? No, just no Boe. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Have you watched Finley play this year homie?

Jvig43
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM

I've watched the packers about 3-4 times this year. I didn't see it, and if I was coming up with a gameplan Jennings would be number one priority.

TheFinisher
12-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Romo to Austin? Romo to Witten is better. I swear, he looks for Witten on, seemingly, every play (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Well... I mean... they are best friends.

F.A.M.E.
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I've watched the packers about 3-4 times this year. I didn't see it, and if I was coming up with a gameplan Jennings would be number one priority.

I've watched every Packers game. Finley is constantly double-teamed. In single coverage, Finley is Rodgers' #1 option because he is open literally every single play (due to Rodgers being able to put the ball where only Finley can grab it).

someone447
12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I think that was tried earlier in the year. Finley had 3 TDs. Finley is probably the most athletically gifted TE in the league right now. He is uncoverable with only one person.

phlysac
12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Finley is constantly double-teamed.

My opinion is that so-and-so receiver is "double-teamed" to be an overused misconstruction of truth. Perhaps coverages are rolled, someone shades, bracketed high and low, inside and outside etc, but these are ZONE concepts.

Ness
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I think that was tried earlier in the year. Finley had 3 TDs. Finley is probably the most athletically gifted TE in the league right now. He is uncoverable with only one person.

Sure he is, after Vernon Davis :)

Ness
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM

More than anyone in the NFL he's getting covered?

J-Mike88
12-01-2011, 07:43 PM
What a terrible list. Brees to Graham and Brady to Gronkowski are better QB-TE combos than Rodgers to Finley.
You *** ****..... actually, I agree with that. You are correct.
Finley has dropped too many passes, and he has games where he has 1 or 2 catches... he's an effective decoy.

That tall suna**** Graham is unstopable, and Gronk is a machine.
Their success is costing J-Mike some money as a FA because they're making him look like just a guy.

someone447
12-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Sure he is, after Vernon Davis :)

I would say they are pretty much on par.

Flyboy
12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Most difficult to stop...Brees to Colston because of body control, large frame, and accuracy to back shoulder throws.

Most difficult matchup would be Brees to Graham because he has more speed and is better at controlling his space.

The QB that's the most difficult to stop would be Rodgers because he has 5 legit weapons every play.

I like you, sir. Even the last statement is arguable with the Saints in the equation.

Rodgers has:

Jennings
Finley
Jones
Driver
Nelson
Cobb
Grant
Starks

Brees has:

Colston
Graham
Moore
Meachem
Henderson
Sproles
Thomas

BloodBrother
12-01-2011, 09:38 PM
#1. Tebow to Decker

descendency
12-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Anyone know who the NFL record holder for fastest to 20 TDs by a TE is?

Answer:
Not Jermichael Finley

no bare feet
12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Anyone know who the NFL record holder for fastest to 20 TDs by a TE is?

Answer:
Not Jermichael Finley

And your point is? Looking at the film you can see how the defense lines up vs. JFinley and how that opens up most things for GB. Gronk is a better overall TE, yes no one is arguing that. Take your homerism and shove it in your dickhole. If you want a better TE argument make a thread Christ.

TitleTown088
12-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello, McFly. Rodgers to Jordyyzzz.

jth1331
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
What quarterback-receiver/tight end combos are the most difficult for defenses to stop?

Matt Williamson posted an article on ESPN Insider answering this very question. You have to be a subscriber to read it (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7299712/the-top-five-pass-catching-combinations-nfl) but here are his top 5:

Honorable mention: Brady to Rob Gronkowski, Drew Brees to Jimmy Graham, Tony Romo to Jason Witten, Brees to Marques Colston, Matt Schaub to Andre Johnson, Eli Manning to Hakeem Nicks

Who are your top 5?

Screw all this discussion, who is that in your avatar?

noondog
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM

I might have Big Ben to Mike Wallace as the scariest deep threat right now.

My top 5:

Brady - Welker
Stafford - Johnson
Schaub - Johnson
Rivers - Jackson
Rodgers - Jennings

To qualify my list, I want to point out a couple of things:

- Brees is not on my list because he has so many targets which inherently help one another in getting a lot of single coverage, etc. He's an elite QB but doesn't have one go-to that supercedes any in my top 5 imo.

- Rodgers is in the same situation as Brees in that he has an abundance of targets to go to, however Jennings stands out head and shoulders above the rest and is clearly Rodgers go-to guy.

- I think Jackson's presence in San Diego is undervalued. Rivers may be having a junk year, but Rivers-Jackson is a pretty awesome combo, especially when you consider the coverages Jackson has been up against with little-to-no Gates in the lineup.

- The rest are pretty self-explanatory.

Jughead10
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Who are your top 5?

I dunno. This year Manning to Cruz has been better. Cruz has better numbers than a lot of those guys listed. Although the two garbage time TDs last week helped.

jrdrylie
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
By the end of the season, Hanie-to-Knox is going to be number one!

Prowler
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Lol, next up is worst five!

1. Gabbert- Chastin West?
2. Orlovsky- Pierre Garcon
3. Tebow- Eddie Royal(depends on quarter)
4. Jackson- Ben Obomanu
5. Hanie- The Ground(too soon?)

Saints-Tigers
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Isn't Graham second in the league in catches? He's clearly our most dangerous target, and gets the most attention at the moment. First time since Brees has been here that I truly feel we have another elite player on offense.(well, Nicks and Evans).

robert pancake gallery
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
i can't help but notice nobody mentioned colt mccoy to mohammad massaquoi

fear the elf
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Lol, next up is worst five!

1. Gabbert- Chastin West?
2. Orlovsky- Pierre Garcon
3. Tebow- Eddie Royal(depends on quarter)
4. Jackson- Ben Obomanu
5. Hanie- The Ground(too soon?)

YES! Colt McCoy to whoever didn't make your list! I'm a proud Browns fan right now...not really, I still has a sad

fear the elf
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
i can't help but notice nobody mentioned colt mccoy to mohammad massaquoi

:'( why...?