PDA

View Full Version : Best Super Bowl of this Century

J-Mike88
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
In the 80's and 90's, the Super Bowls were usually Super Blowouts.
Rarely was there a great, close, epic game.
That's changed recently.
I loved all these games.

Which in your opinion was the greatest game?
Don't just choose your team.... which game (or finish) was the best game to you? This is not meant as a tribute to the damn Patriots.... 3 great games, 3 wins for them.

No right-wrong answers here, just which game if you were unbiased do you believe was the greatest game?

XLV- Packers d Steelers 31-25 as Big Ben stopped on final drive
XLIV- Saints d Colts 31-17 as Peyton pick-6'd driving to tie late
XLIII- Steelers d Cardinals 27-26 as Big Ben magically connects with Holmes late
XLII- Giants d Patriots 17-14 with late TD to PistolPlax and denies Pats perfect
XXXIX- Patriots d Eagles 24-21 as Deion Branch is MVP
XXXVIII- Patriots d Panthers 32-29 on Vinitieri kick at the end
XXXVI- Patriots d Rams 20-17 on Vinitieri kick at the end
Rams d Titans 23-16 as Titans stopped inside the 1 on game's final play

holt_bruce81
12-02-2011, 08:08 PM
1. Rams vs Titans
2. Giants vs Patriots
3. Patriots vs Rams

ChiFan24
12-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I picked Pats/Panthers because it entertained me the most. Though, the Bears playing the Colts is my personal favorite of the decade, because I finally got to see my team play in the Super Bowl, and for a brief moment think my team would actually win the Super Bowl. The final result was pretty ****** though.

Brothgar
12-02-2011, 08:14 PM
1. Tits v. Rams
2. Cards v Steelers
3. Giants v Pats.

J-Mike88
12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I chose the Giants over Patriots even though it didn't have as many points as most of the others.

The last quarter of that Pats-Panthers game was a shootout, very fun.
And the Steelers-Cardinals was awesome.... looked like Fitzgerald had won it.

That Rams-Titans finish was unbelievable, as was Warner in that game.
And the Cardinals one too......

Menardo75
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I think people need to remember the Panther Patriot Superbowl more that was an outstanding game, and the Panthers playoff run was very fun to watch.

CJSchneider
12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I had to make the homer pick.

Sloopy
12-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I personally love the Giants Patriots SB. Considering what the Pats had done all season, it we one of the biggest upsets in recent memory if not of all time.

It wasn't a blow out like some get to be and if you throw in one of the greatest single plays in SB history you have the makings of a great game.

robert pancake gallery
12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Kevin Dyson.

vidae
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I loved the 1 yard tackle in the Titans/Rams game (sorry, TH, Doughie and CMD!)

Rob S
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I remember being more excited during the Cards-Steelers game than any other.

BigBanger
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
I remember being more excited during the Cards-Steelers game than any other.

This

Vox Populi
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
I found the Patriots-Panthers game to be the most exciting Super Bowl that I've watched for some reason. I've always said Todd Sauerbrun was the MVP of that game steroids or not. The most glorious one had to be the Buccaneers game because I was in Tampa for it with family and the party they had was just awesome too.

Brodeur
12-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Colts/Bears.

Mr.Regular
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I wont go the homer route, though XLV was my favourite and most memorable personally.

Tough 3 way race for me between Rams/Titans, Pats/Giants, and Pats/Panthers. Went with XLII because it was the most memorable of the 3 I think. XXXIV did have the best finish though, and I remember being the most entertained during XXXVIII.

nobodyinparticular
12-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I wont go the homer route, though XLV was my favourite and most memorable personally.

Tough 3 way race for me between Rams/Titans, Pats/Giants, and Pats/Panthers. Went with XLII because it was the most memorable of the 3 I think. XXXIV did have the best finish though, and I remember being the most entertained during XXXVIII.

I'm with you here until your last one with Panthers/Patriots. Switch that out for Cards/Steelers and you've got the top three for me. Panthers/Patriots was so uninteresting to me I actually volunteered to go to the store for more drinks when we ran out in the 3rd quarter. Then I went out in the street to play football when I got back.

I will always remember the play with Dyson coming up short of the goal line, but the tension was there for Steelers/Cards and NYG/Pats more (for me). The Tyree catch looms bigger in my mind and there were so many plays in the Steelers/Cards game. I thing Giants over Patriots barely edges out Steelers over Cards for the simple fact that the play that is #1 in my mind was made by the losing team--Fitz's deep post over the deep middle.

BaLLiN
12-03-2011, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqErnhihQFQ&feature=related

Ness
12-03-2011, 05:57 AM
The Steelers/Cardinals Super Bowl never was that exciting to me. I still felt that Arizona had no chance in that game, and even though they made a contest of it, I had a feeling the Steelers would win the game regardless. I feel like that Arizona Cardinals team didn't belong in the Super Bowl...even when they got there. Like the 1998 Atlanta Falcons. I'm actually a little surprised a lot of people thought it was the best Super Bowl ever after it was over.

J-Mike88
12-03-2011, 08:16 AM
The Steelers/Cardinals Super Bowl never was that exciting to me. I still felt that Arizona had no chance in that game, and even though they made a contest of it, I had a feeling the Steelers would win the game regardless. I feel like that Arizona Cardinals team didn't belong in the Super Bowl...even when they got there. Like the 1998 Atlanta Falcons. I'm actually a little surprised a lot of people thought it was the best Super Bowl ever after it was over.
Because that game went back & forth.... and when Fitzgerald took the pass to the house with a minute or 2 to go, it seemed that Warner had done it again.
But Big Ben was superclutch, and Santonio Holmes got the Lester Hayes Stick-em onto his fingertips just in time to catch the amazing game-winning TD in the corner. It was like Plaxico's game-winner, but a more amazing throw and catch as he was not even really open.
Plus you had Harrison picking off Warner to end the first half, saving a Cardinal TD and then amazingly running 100 yards to score a TD for his team.

14 point turnaround that seemed insurmountable. Where were the RBs and other WRs who could have run him down?

Smooth Criminal
12-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Rams vs. Titans
Steelers vs. Cardinals
Giants vs Patriots

Shane P. Hallam
12-03-2011, 09:50 AM
If you didn't pick Rams/Titans, shame on you!

Rosebud
12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
The Pats/Giants superbowl is to this day one of the most epic sports events I've seen. I'll remember watching that game for ever.

bigbluedefense
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm obviously biased, but I'm voting Giants/Patriots. It was arguably the biggest upset in SB history, the game was close the entire way, got exciting in the 4th quarter, and featured arguably the most memorable play in SB history.

Battle lines were drawn in that SB too. You either loved or hated that Patriots team. And most people watching were rooting hard for one team or the other.

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I voted for the only sporting event that ever made me cry. :(

BRAVEHEART
12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Rams vs Titans for me.

Jvig43
12-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Pats Rams.

Saints-Tigers
12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Pats Vs. Giants easy for me.

Prowler
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Rams vs Titans. Such a great game. It was the first super bowl party that I went to that I didn't have a team that I was really rooting for. Great game, not a dull moment.

Babylon
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Went with Patriots over the Rams. The first one is always special and couldnt help think of all the former Pats that had tried in vain.

ShutDwn
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Giants v Patriots was amazing. It was more than a superbowl in my opinion.

There have been so many great superbowls recently.

Raiderz4Life
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I went Pats Rams because that was SB I truly knew what was happening and watched in its entirety.

J-Mike88
12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Guess I shouldn't have put the Pats-Eagles one in here.
Who voted for that one?

TitanHope
12-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but Rams vs Titans was terrible. Just terrible.

keylime_5
12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
The Pats/Giants super bowl was actually a total snoozer until the 4th quarter if remember correctly. Titans/Rams clearly the best super bowl of this decade/century so far.

Brothgar
12-04-2011, 04:38 AM
I don't know what you guys were watching, but Rams vs Titans was terrible. Just terrible.

cOXGXqHTOtE

FUNBUNCHER
12-04-2011, 05:30 AM
I enjoyed watching as a neutral fan the Pats v. Panthers and Steelers v. Cards the most.

But I'm still shocked by what the Giants did to even get to the SB and beat an undefeated Patriots football team.

That SB run is the reason why I permanently changed my opinion about Eli Manning, from thinking he was overrated to believing he's just inconsistent but 10x more clutch than his big brother.

J-Mike88
12-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I enjoyed watching as a neutral fan the Pats v. Panthers and Steelers v. Cards the most.

But I'm still shocked by what the Giants did to even get to the SB and beat an undefeated Patriots football team.

That SB run is the reason why I permanently changed my opinion about Eli Manning, from thinking he was overrated to believing he's just inconsistent but 10x more clutch than his big brother.
^ ^ THIS ^ ^

Damn you Eli.
But on a serious note, him out-clutching Farve is easy to believe now looking back. McNabb outclutched Farve too. So did Vick. And Culpepper. All those guys knocked out Farve in the playoffs.

The Rams-Titans game was just a sensational finish, like the Giants-Patriots.
But it wasn't as back & forth as the Pats-Panthers 2nd half or the Steelers-Cardinals 4th quarter.

Still, beating the 18-0 Patriots, at the end, was extra thrilling.

The Alex
12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I understand the choices for Rams/Titans and Rams/Patriots, but the build to Giants/Patriots and the eventual outcome is what puts it over the top.

For months, ESPN and the rest of the sports media had anointed the Patriots as the greatest team ever assembled. ESPN even held viewer polls matching the Patriots up against all-time great teams and the Pats won nearly all of them. Analysts and pundits were echoing these sentiments and went even further. There were countless articles and broadcasts that proclaimed Tom Brady as the greatest quarterback in NFL history, Randy Moss as a more talented receiver than Jerry Rice and Bill Belichick as a better coach than Lombardi or Landry. It got more and more intense after every single victory and blowout. The term hype train doesn't even do it justice, this was more like a hype convoy of tanks with supercharged engines approaching the land speed record.

When the Patriots were matched up against the Giants, everyone acted like it was a foregone conclusion the Pats would win. The legacy was already written. All of the hype would become realized and validated after the Patriots easily defeated a team lucky to even be in the Super Bowl. The earth was quacking, the poison arrows were falling from the sky and the pillars of Heaven were shaking. The Giants looked the big old storm right square in the eye and said "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Just as they were about to reach their destination, the hype convoy was stopped by a cruise missile barrage they didn't even know had been launched. Months and months of unparalleled accolades and praise were destroyed by a team nobody gave a chance. Eli Manning was labeled an inconsistent quarterback by the end of the regular season and most of the fanbase and New York media wanted him gone. Tom Coughlin was seen as a hot head and was also losing favor with the fans. Tiki Barber, their best offensive player, had retired before the season even began. Yet somehow, someway, the team came together under the leadership of a relentless pass rush and shocked the sports world, highlighted by the most spectacular play in Super Bowl history.

In my mind, this wasn't just the best Super Bowl of this century, it was the best Super Bowl ever played.