PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner will be fired after season is over.

General Zod
12-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Per Adam Schefter on twitter(per San Diego Union-Tribune)

AdamSchefter@ Adam Schefter
San Diego Union-Tribune reports Chargers HC Norv Turner will be fired at end of season and GM A.J. Smith could join him.

SuperPacker
12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Not suprised. Norv will make a great OC somewhere though.

Who are the favourites to replace him?

A Perfect Score
12-03-2011, 08:47 AM
They can take Cam Cameron back. That would make me so incredibly happy.

EDIT: Also, can we take a moment of reflection to consider how idiotic the name Cam Cameron is? Cam twice? God damn that stupid old man.

Da-Phins
12-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Should have never been a HC in the first place, but he will make an awesome OC for any team. My question is will he retire or want to coach a few more years?

Da-Phins
12-03-2011, 08:58 AM
They can take Cam Cameron back. That would make me so incredibly happy.

EDIT: Also, can we take a moment of reflection to consider how idiotic the name Cam Cameron is? Cam twice? God damn that stupid old man.

Well at least your team didn't have him as your HC. Thats 100x worse then just having him as a coordinator.

A Perfect Score
12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Well at least your team didn't have him as your HC. Thats 100x worse then just having him as a coordinator.

A leaky secondary is the only thing that has contributed as much to the Ravens recent failures as Cam Cameron. He's quite possibly the reason we didn't go to the Super Bowl last year with his idiotic showboating in the playoffs. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR PLAYBOOK! CALL A GOD DAMNED POWER RUN TO THE RIGHT SIDE CAM!

H.O.O.D
12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
They should make a serious run at Coach Chin. But they won't.

SolidGold
12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Cowher could be a possibility - I just posted that in the coaching change thread

vidae
12-03-2011, 10:08 AM
This is not a shock to anyone.

Unbiased
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Come to Jacksonville Norv. And bring Vincent Jackson with you.

CashmoneyDrew
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I thought before the season started that Fisher would come back to either the Chargers or Dolphins. Seems like a possibility.

coordinator0
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
A leaky secondary is the only thing that has contributed as much to the Ravens recent failures as Cam Cameron. He's quite possibly the reason we didn't go to the Super Bowl last year with his idiotic showboating in the playoffs. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR PLAYBOOK! CALL A GOD DAMNED POWER RUN TO THE RIGHT SIDE CAM!

I would say Greg Mattison might have been a bigger hindrance to the team than anything, but he's gone now so whatever. Turner would be a great upgrade from Cameron. Hopefully we at least try to get him this offseason.

LonghornsLegend
12-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Chargers is going to be an excellent job for any HC to take over. I'll take Rivers in his prime with VJ & Mathews. I'll work the rest out.

I really hope Norv's ties to Dallas bring him back here, but I don't know how him and Garrett would work together. I think we'd see a career year out of Romo next year if it did happen. 1 thing I love about Norv is the progression he typically gives his QB's.

gsorace
12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
He can replace Brian Schottenheimer and possibly turn Mark Sanchez into a halfway decent QB.....I can dream can't I?

diabsoule
12-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Cowher would be a very nice addition in San Diego. He'd definitely help turn that franchise around.

MasterShake
12-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Norv did a good job with Alex Smith in his 2nd year. Then he left for san diego and sent the 49er offense into a 4 year tailspin...

F**k you sand diego! Sooooooo glad he screwed your team for the last few years....you deserved it!

BudIce
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
turner has been tebowed

SolidGold
12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
It doesn't hurt that the Chargers also already have the 3-4 in place - Cowher's preferred defense. I think that team is more or less hamstrung by the head coach - the talent is there.

A Perfect Score
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Cowher would be a very nice addition in San Diego. He'd definitely help turn that franchise around.

I think they go for someone flashier, honestly. With the weapons they have in place, bringing in a fairly conservative offensive guy like Cowher seems a bit, well...conservative. Gruden coached in Oakland before, he likes California and putting Rivers, Jackson, Mathews and Gates into his system would be crazy. How sick would that be?

PoopSandwich
12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
This may be a bit of a reach but I think Macho Man Randy Savage will be their next coach.

too soon.

bigbluedefense
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Why not just fire him now? Why wait until after the season? I never understood that.

lowlife
12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I think they go for someone flashier, honestly. With the weapons they have in place, bringing in a fairly conservative offensive guy like Cowher seems a bit, well...conservative. Gruden coached in Oakland before, he likes California and putting Rivers, Jackson, Mathews and Gates into his system would be crazy. How sick would that be?
You mean the pointless 8 motion, throw to the flat, gain 2 yards system?

Offensive genius? **** that.
The man's ego is insane and barely had control of his team notorious for collapse.

If there ever was a QB for Gruden, I could see Rivers being in that mold.

descendency
12-03-2011, 12:25 PM
could Andy Reid be the next coach of the chargers if they fire both Norv and AJ Smith?

Prowler
12-03-2011, 12:30 PM
They really need to do something to change things up. There has to be some kind of accountability for failure and always coming up short of expectations. Nobody can say that the expectations have even been that hard.

1. Beat the Tebow led Broncos-fail
2. Beat the Raiders- fail
3. Beat the Chiefs without Eric Berry, Charles, etc-fail

GTFO of here you fricken loser!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, because I don't want my door to be infected with your stain of losing.

bantx
12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank the heavens! AJ is an eh for me but I'm happy Norv will be gone no matter what.

thegreatone
12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
He basically is the HC.

John Harbaugh is his cheerleading puppet.

thegreatone
12-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Come to Jacksonville Norv. And bring Vincent Jackson with you.
Maybe you should try getting a QB first.

RaiderNation
12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Cant wait to see the Chargers be irrelevant for the next 5 years :)

A Perfect Score
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

You just SHUT YOUR GOD DAMNED MOUTH! GABBERT IS THE FUTURE!

WMD
12-03-2011, 03:57 PM
http://phillysportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Cowboys-RobRyan.jpg

DO IT SAN DIEGO!

Prowler
12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
He looks like the kind of guy that would wear a tuxedo t-shirt. Perfect hire.

Vikes99ej
12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
After a season like this, it was definitely a foregone conclusion. Biggest underachievers of the last 5-10 years.

thegreatone
12-03-2011, 05:10 PM
You just SHUT YOUR GOD DAMNED MOUTH! GABBERT IS THE FUTURE!
The future Kyle Boller that is.

niel89
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
The future Kyle Boller that is.

Wait is Kyle Boller still not the future?

TitanHope
12-03-2011, 08:46 PM
This may be random, but the Colts should follow suit and let go of hologram. They'll probably have Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck next year, which gives the coach the luxury of coasting to ~8 wins their first few seasons while they setup a team for Luck to make playoff runs with. You'd think that kind of situation would give them their choice of any coach they desired, and if I'm Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Jeff Fisher, or any coordiator or college coach, then that'd be my most desirable spot to take over, even over Rivers-led San Diego team.

LonghornsLegend
12-03-2011, 09:00 PM

I really don't think you can be more flashy then Cowher honestly. Maybe you mean more offensive minded? Cowher is the flashiest, big name guy out there. Cowher would just need a good offensive coordinator. I don't think going out and trying to sign another Norv Turner, aka an offensive guru who doesn't know his way around on the defensive side of the ball, is the direction they want to be going back in.

What big time offenses was Gruden running in Tampa? This team has Phillip Rivers, I don't think any Head Coach is going to take over and try to turn them into a conservative, ground and pound type of team.

San Diego Chicken
12-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm all for Turner getting the boot but don't like the idea of dumping A.J. Smith. Just take the next hire out of his hands. You can criticize some of his moves but this is still his team and I'm about 90% sure whoever would replace him would be worse.

1funguy
12-05-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm all for Turner getting the boot but don't like the idea of dumping A.J. Smith. Just take the next hire out of his hands. You can criticize some of his moves but this is still his team and I'm about 90% sure whoever would replace him would be worse.

Really? I'm no Norv apologist, have always thought that the duties of HC are just not in his wheelhouse &that he should be at most an OC.

BUT ..... look at the talent level in San Diego. Not that great when you really start to kick the tires. It may be tough to accept, but it can't be denied. The team is aging at key positions with little to nothing behind the current starter. Key positions such as NT & TE have been basically ignored. Garay is no Jamal Williams & he's what?32 now? Gates'injuries have reduced him to a shadow of his former self & where is his replacement? VJ plays when he wants to play. Anemic pass rush. Weddle is NOT elite, regardless of what his contract says. Where has this "line 'em up 3 deep & let 'em compete" philosophy of Smith's gotten the team? Our OL has to be cobbled together once the starters go down.

AJ Smith hit on a few picks & decided that he could consistently mine gold from the late round/UDFA veins. Fool's gold is more like it. As long as that egotistical ass-hat is GM, little will improve in San Diego. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced that the ownership gives a damn about winning beyond how it affects ticket sales.

So yeah - dump it all on Norv & keep AJ. Sure-fire way to lose any chance of a new stadium deal & keeping the Chargers in San Diego. Replacing Norv alone isn't some silver bullet recipe for success nor is bringing in a name like Cowher (how many SB's in umpteen years?) or Gruden (won it with Dungy's squad then proceeded downhill). Unless there's a major shift in attitude/philosophy in the Charger organization, we'll be staring straight into mediocrity for awhile. Bring in a guy with a defensive mindset who recognizes the importance of beef with gnarly attitudes on both lines.

Read it & weep.

SolidGold
12-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Really? I'm no Norv apologist, have always thought that the duties of HC are just not in his wheelhouse &that he should be at most an OC.

BUT ..... look at the talent level in San Diego. Not that great when you really start to kick the tires. It may be tough to accept, but it can't be denied. The team is aging at key positions with little to nothing behind the current starter. Key positions such as NT & TE have been basically ignored. Garay is no Jamal Williams & he's what?32 now? Gates'injuries have reduced him to a shadow of his former self & where is his replacement? VJ plays when he wants to play. Anemic pass rush. Weddle is NOT elite, regardless of what his contract says. Where has this "line 'em up 3 deep & let 'em compete" philosophy of Smith's gotten the team? Our OL has to be cobbled together once the starters go down.

AJ Smith hit on a few picks & decided that he could consistently mine gold from the late round/UDFA veins. Fool's gold is more like it. As long as that egotistical ass-hat is GM, little will improve in San Diego. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced that the ownership gives a damn about winning beyond how it affects ticket sales.

So yeah - dump it all on Norv & keep AJ. Sure-fire way to lose any chance of a new stadium deal & keeping the Chargers in San Diego. Replacing Norv alone isn't some silver bullet recipe for success nor is bringing in a name like Cowher (how many SB's in umpteen years?) or Gruden (won it with Dungy's squad then proceeded downhill). Unless there's a major shift in attitude/philosophy in the Charger organization, we'll be staring straight into mediocrity for awhile. Bring in a guy with a defensive mindset who recognizes the importance of beef with gnarly attitudes on both lines.

Read it & weep.

Weddle is a top 5 safety in the league

Vox Populi
12-05-2011, 08:09 AM
http://phillysportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Cowboys-RobRyan.jpg

DO IT SAN DIEGO!

he has no neck... at all... theres not even extra chins or anything. this man is an egg with a face drawn on it. you will not convince me otherwise.

1funguy
12-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Weddle is a top 5 safety in the league

You just keep believing that, mmmmkay?

bantx
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
You just keep believing that, mmmmkay?

Name 5 that's better then him..

soybean
12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Can someone tell me why they would announce this or let the rumors fly in the middle of the season? What else would there be to play for.

If you can't wait to fire him then just do it and have an interim take his place for the rest of the season.

Can't be good for the morale of the players and/or Norv.

1funguy
12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Name 5 that's better then him..

Eric Berry, Ed Reed, Polamalu, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas, Adrian Wilson, Brandon Merriweather .... hell, Dawkins & Sharper's old asses can still out-play Weddle.

I watch & re-watch every Chargers game. Do you?

whatadai
12-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Eric Berry, Ed Reed, Polamalu, Nick Collins, Earl Thomas, Adrian Wilson, Brandon Merriweather .... hell, Dawkins & Sharper's old asses can still out-play Weddle.

Thomas, Wilson, Dawkins, Sharper and Meriweather? You really don't watch any games do you? What's with Chargers fans hating on Weddle, my cousin is a fan and hates on him too. I'd love for the Raiders to get him and stick him at SS.

bantx
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvo3ycPtKi1qzd11o.jpg

I actually am a Charger fan so I've probably seen more games then you have, but that's besides the point. Lets look at your list....LOL

Polamalu, Ed Reed, Berry is fine with me, Berry and Weddle is debatable. Berry had one really good season under his belt. Nick Collins and Weddle is debatable. Earl is on the fence. But Brandon freakin Merriweather? Does he even start on a team anymore? Dawkins and Sharper? Really? Do you watch football at all?

Weddle is having one of his best seasons so far this season and one of the best safetys playing this season, I'm not even sure if you even do watch a Chargers game. If you actually know anything about the Chargers is that we don't pay players that under perform look at Vincent Jackson he's had issues and he still doesn't have his contract so your argument about his contract is stupid. You sound like a casual fan that watches ESPN and repeat what they say in arguments.

1funguy
12-05-2011, 03:41 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvo3ycPtKi1qzd11o.jpg

I actually am a Charger fan so I've probably seen more games then you have, but that's besides the point. Lets look at your list....LOL

Polamalu, Ed Reed, Berry is fine with me, Berry and Weddle is debatable. Berry had one really good season under his belt. Nick Collins and Weddle is debatable. Earl is on the fence. But Brandon freakin Merriweather? Does he even start on a team anymore? Dawkins and Sharper? Really? Do you watch football at all?

Weddle is having one of his best seasons so far this season and one of the best safetys playing this season, I'm not even sure if you even do watch a Chargers game. If you actually know anything about the Chargers is that we don't pay players that under perform look at Vincent Jackson he's had issues and he still doesn't have his contract so your argument about his contract is stupid. You sound like a casual fan that watches ESPN and repeat what they say in arguments.

Charger fan since '90. Watch & record every game via NFLTicket. Have traveled to the Murph a few times for games in addition to seeing east coast games, the last against the Giants when the PR-to-VJ toss with 2 mins. left won the game - right under my nose.

Your arrogance doesn't impress me. As for paying for lack of performance ... look no further than Clary. Good guy, works hard, but not worth the contract that he received. Luckily it's structured in a manner that allows the team to get out pretty cheap if that decision is made. Never mentioned VJ, but I will agree that he isn't showing enough consistent effort to warrant a big payday.

I'll stand by what I said re: Weddle. He's out of position PLENTY, takes questionable angles on tackles, & needs to be playing to his strength which is ball skills. Time to nip this BS "interchangeable" safety crap, tell him he's a free safety, & go get a guy we can count on to consistently make tackles & contribute on safety blitzes.

Just because I don't post much here doesn't mean this is my first rodeo, sonny. And yeah - Dawkins & Sharper are long in the tooth but Weddle has a LONG way to go before he can hold their jocks.

Add LaRon Landry to the list as well. And ESPN sucks for anything other than headlines that you can follow to a real source of information.

Prowler
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/upimg9/10-Foot-Chrome-Tape-Measure-tape-measure-20969.jpg

whatadai
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Charger fan since '90. Watch & record every game via NFLTicket. Have traveled to the Murph a few times for games in addition to seeing east coast games, the last against the Giants when the PR-to-VJ toss with 2 mins. left won the game - right under my nose.

Your arrogance doesn't impress me. As for paying for lack of performance ... look no further than Clary. Good guy, works hard, but not worth the contract that he received. Luckily it's structured in a manner that allows the team to get out pretty cheap if that decision is made. Never mentioned VJ, but I will agree that he isn't showing enough consistent effort to warrant a big payday.

I'll stand by what I said re: Weddle. He's out of position PLENTY, takes questionable angles on tackles, & needs to be playing to his strength which is ball skills. Time to nip this BS "interchangeable" safety crap, tell him he's a free safety, & go get a guy we can count on to consistently make tackles & contribute on safety blitzes.

Just because I don't post much here doesn't mean this is my first rodeo, sonny. And yeah - Dawkins & Sharper are long in the tooth but Weddle has a LONG way to go before he can hold their jocks.

Add LaRon Landry to the list as well. And ESPN sucks for anything other than headlines that you can follow to a real source of information.

What? His strength isn't ball skills...that's actually one of his weaknesses and has always been.

bantx
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM

You still haven't said anything to convince me that you are right. You ignore the fact that he's the one player that actually shows up and plays on defense. He had a play on the ball where it secured the win this season and I don't know what games you are watching Weddle is an excellent tackler.

Unbiased
12-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Yes, we need to get better play at QB. But we ALSO need a good offensive coordinator as well. So maybe you should shut the **** up.

1funguy
12-06-2011, 06:57 AM
What? His strength isn't ball skills...that's actually one of his weaknesses and has always been.

You still haven't said anything to convince me that you are right. You ignore the fact that he's the one player that actually shows up and plays on defense. He had a play on the ball where it secured the win this season and I don't know what games you are watching Weddle is an excellent tackler.

Microcosm of my Weddle analysis from last night with regards to ball skills vs. tackling .....

Makes a very good play/interception of ball tipped by Cason.

Whiffs on a tackle of OL Whimper, nearly misses MJD because he lowers his head & dives w/o attempting to wrap up.

Go back, look at college tape, & tell me again that his ball skills are a weakness.

Weddle is a FS who needs a talented partner at SS. Good complementary player but not a true difference maker, which is one of the requirements to be considered elite, IMO.

San Diego Chicken
12-07-2011, 09:45 AM

BUT ..... look at the talent level in San Diego. Not that great when you really start to kick the tires. It may be tough to accept, but it can't be denied.

The offensive skill talent is top five in the NFL without a doubt, easily the best in the division, probably right there with Houston & New England as the best in the AFC. Defensively it's not one of the most talented teams in the league but it's not one of the least, either. More than anything there are very few of our players on defense that are in their prime. Guys like Butler (who has been awesome this year), Liuget, Martin, Gilchrist are still young and improving while Garay, Jammer, Phillips, Spikes are in a state of decline. I wouldn't say talent is necessarily the issue however. Butler is far more athletic & talented than, say, Stephen Cooper was. To me Martin is more talented that Olshansky was. Say what you want about our safeties but at least Clinton Hart isn't starting anymore.

The team is aging at key positions with little to nothing behind the current starter. Key positions such as NT & TE have been basically ignored. Garay is no Jamal Williams & he's what?32 now?

I think Cam Thomas is a very good understudy, he's even taking lots of Garay's snaps. Thomas is a better run defender than Garay already and a decent enough pass rusher. Thomas is closer to Williams as far as a true 3-4 anchor NT.

Gates'injuries have reduced him to a shadow of his former self & where is his replacement?

Gates has spoiled us over the years but he can still play and still has couple of years left. Apparently he's finally starting to get over his plantar fascia so lets give him a full offseason without any surgeries to properly train and see if he can put together a great season. For the first 10 weeks or so of 2010 he was unstoppable, that wasn't that long ago and I think he can still be that. I would like to see a true blocking TE brought in, that would really help out.

VJ plays when he wants to play.Anemic pass rush. Weddle is NOT elite, regardless of what his contract says. Where has this "line 'em up 3 deep & let 'em compete" philosophy of Smith's gotten the team?

VJ is frustrating, no doubt, but he's still one of the best WR's in the league and a genius pick by A.J. I won't rehash the Weddle debate.

Our OL has to be cobbled together once the starters go down.

This is my biggest peeve with A.J., ignoring the OL and just assuming he can plug just any 300 pound body into it. I think it's critical that the Chargers invest at least two high picks in the OL in the next draft, and probably bring in 1-2 quality FA's. Hardwick must be re-signed. Perhaps a better OL coach could be brought in as well.

My worst fear is returning to the dark ages of the Beathard era. Compared to that, this is the golden age. Those were some of the worst football teams I have ever watched. The team hasn't had a losing record in seven seasons, and I credit A.J. Smith for that. [/quote]

Read it & weep.

Like I said, I'd rather A.J. not choose the next coach this time around but I don't think there's anything a new GM's going to accomplish to get this specific team back on track and getting deep into the playoffs. Splurging on free agents is a bad way to conduct business, and I trust Smith in the draft. He's rebounded from his mini-draft slump, we're going to end up with three starters from the 2010 draft, Mathews, Butler and Thomas, and this year's rookie class looks very promising too, with Liuget starting, Brown playing like a stud, and Gilchrist still learning but flashing along the way. Even Schilling has been good when pressed into action, Gatchkar has been a nice addition on ST's and we'll see about Mouton and Wright when they return to health.

Maybe this is all just me trying to be optimistic after our first win in two months but I don't see A.J. Smith as the demise of this franchise, he deserves the lions share of credit for building it up in the first place.

bantx
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
My thoughts exactly SDC I just want a clean house on the coaching staff Norv is an amazing OC, but as a HC he doesn't have what it takes to be one. Any possible chance of him being our OC in the future I'd love it, but it doesn't seem likely. People rag on AJ Smith's drafting, but he built the team we've watched in the past few seasons. A very talented squad and it's not his fault that the coaching hasn't been there. I don't know how any HC could come in and not succeed with the talent we do have on the team.

Iamcanadian
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
My thoughts exactly SDC I just want a clean house on the coaching staff Norv is an amazing OC, but as a HC he doesn't have what it takes to be one. Any possible chance of him being our OC in the future I'd love it, but it doesn't seem likely. People rag on AJ Smith's drafting, but he built the team we've watched in the past few seasons. A very talented squad and it's not his fault that the coaching hasn't been there. I don't know how any HC could come in and not succeed with the talent we do have on the team.

You lose me, how is it not his fault that the HC stinks, he hired him and who knows if a man with his ego can hire a HC who is competent. Maybe he likes his HC to look stupid making himself the leader.
Everybody questioned the Turner hire and yet he insisted, I suspect because he wanted a 'yes' man as his HC, somebody he could control and look at the results.
If San Diego retains Smith, I see future problems down the line because he is very likely to hire another 'yes' man. IMO, they both need to go if San Diego wants to ever compete seriously again.

bantx
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Like SDC said just take the hc hiring out of his hands. I was talking mostly about the draft. And for the Norv hire I can't completely hate it he helped Philip Rivers become one of the best QBs in the game so I can't complain. You can hate on Norv even I do at times, but you can't deny the fact that he's an offensive genius, he's just not a fit HC can you fault AJ Smiths you can, but in a way he helped turned this offense into what it is today with Norv. But Norv could not take it to the next step.