PDA

View Full Version : Stories of the Season: Wade Phillips

JBCX
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
This guy was a failure as a head coach but he's still a damn good defensive coordinator.

He took the worst passing defense in the NFL last year (Houston Texans) and single-handedly transformed them, in one year, into an elite shutdown unit. They lead the league in points allowed (fewest allowed) and just completely dominated a solid Atlanta offense today.

You can make the argument that the Wade Phillips signing was the best move of the off-season.

niel89
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Some guys just aren't head coaches. I can't wait to see Mario Williams get healthy and comfortable, and to see the young guys like Watt to develop more. They can become a very very scary defense.

Rosebud
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Better terrible HC: Gregg Williams, Wade Phillips or Norv Turner?

V.I.P
12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Some guys just aren't head coaches.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/raheem-morris.jpg

MI_Buckeye
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM
In all fairness to the Texans, they dealt with a ton of injuries as the season wore on last season and just raped the draft and free agency during the offseason. I thought they would be the most improved unit in the league, but I never expected this kind of turnaround.

BaLLiN
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Jerry Jones overreaches his boundaries, don't blame Wade totally because he wasn't in the easiest of situations.

Monomach
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
This guy was a failure as a head coach but he's still a damn good defensive coordinator.

He took the worst passing defense in the NFL last year (Houston Texans) and single-handedly transformed them, in one year, into an elite shutdown unit. They lead the league in points allowed (fewest allowed) and just completely dominated a solid Atlanta offense today.

You can make the argument that the Wade Phillips signing was the best move of the off-season.I'm not going to say that Wade isn't good; I believe he really is...but he didn't singlehandedly do anything.

Jonathan Joseph and Danieal Manning are legit difference makers.

JBCX
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Sure, the Texans hit free agency and the draft well this year, but so did the Eagles, and their defense is WORSE than it was last year.

The big difference? Defensive Coordinators.

wogitalia
12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Was a great pickup by the Texans, always been a fan of Wade as a coach, to be honest I didn't even mind him in Dallas, it's not like his reign there was any different to the coaches before or so far the coaches after, Dallas may just not be as good as their media and owner wants people to believe.

Also... not a bad fantasy pick with my final pick either, had a lot of faith in their defense and knew no one else would take them based on the Phillips and Joseph moves alone.

mqtirishfan
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm not going to say that Wade isn't good; I believe he really is...but he didn't singlehandedly do anything.

I beg your pardon?

DraftSavant
12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm not going to say that Wade isn't good; I believe he really is...but he didn't singlehandedly do anything.

Not to mention Cushing getting back on a cycle during the lockout. He's playing like a man possessed this year. That whole front 7 is pretty damn good, actually.

Bengalsrocket
12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Sure, the Texans hit free agency and the draft well this year, but so did the Eagles, and their defense is WORSE than it was last year.

Please don't work in science or medicine when you grow up :)

Monomach
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I beg your pardon?

What about it?

Danieal Manning has been a beast since the beginning of last season.

comahan
12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
It's so odd as a Houston fan to see them have a great defense.

Joseph was an amazing signing (hes been so, so good), Manning has been good when he's been healthy, Watt and Reed have been tremendous as rookies, Glover Quin has been a pleasant surprise at Safety, Barwin's fantastic production is covering up Mario's absence, Cushing is playing out of his mind, and Wade is the guy who brought it all together. Very fun to watch it all play out.

D-Unit
12-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Wade wasn't even that bad of a HC. As for a DC, he was always good. His problem is that he is too nice. Niceness works when you're looking for a quick turnaround. Guys like that at first and things can change fast.... but over time, that niceness starts to get taken advantage of and then the next guy that comes in has to change the culture.

whatadai
12-05-2011, 12:58 PM

The Eagles have a defensive coordinator? Oh wait...just realized you were talking about the guy that's been coaching offensive lines for his whole career.