PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst coaching blunder you can recall?

J-Mike88
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Right now, the one that comes to mind of course is the Garrett one saving his timeouts at the 25 second mark. Then of course the icing his own kicker. He's been crucified for 2 days now over that, except Eric Manigini keeps defending him!

Personally I think not using one at :25 is far worse than icing his own kicker, but both are atrocious.

But there have to be a lot of other horrible coaching blunders other coaches have made. (Or was this the worst?)

Share the one that comes to mind for you or your club. I except an NFL Network show sometime of the Top Ten Worst Coaching Moves. Can we get it rolling here?

fenikz
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Pendergast having Michael Adams and Aaron Fransisco cover Santonio Holmes in the Superbowl

descendency
12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Calling time out with 1:24 left to go with 17 seconds in the play clock.

DraftSavant
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
This thread needs more Jason Garrett.

jth1331
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Down by 7 with less than 5 minutes to go, Jack Del Rio elects to kick a field goal against the Steelers instead of trying for the game tying touchdown. I believe the Jaguars never got the ball back.

TheFinisher
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
See any Jason Garrett Red Zone playcalling sequence... TE Screen anyone?

Jughead10
12-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Marty Mornhinweg taking the wind in OT.

Rex Ryan didn't use his TOs under 2 minutes when Miami had the ball inside their 15, because "he had confidence his defense would make a stop". Miami scored a TD and Jets didn't have any time left to try and come back.

tEk
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
what about the giants last sunday, score and get the 2pt cnv to tie game. then leave solomon(db)? on jordy nelson, and get burned on the same sideline route giving green bay fg range..... i thought that was pretty stupid.

MetSox17
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Andy Reid electing to punt instead of going for it against the Saints in the playoffs a few years ago. I forget the scenario exactly but it was a DUMB move then and it was a DUMB move now.

It was the same game when Sheldon Brown jacked up Reggie Bush.

vidae
12-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Anything Herm Edwards ever did in KC?

gsorace
12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Anything Herm Edwards ever did in KC?

I still can't believe KC had to give the Jets a draft pick for Herm Edwards.

Crazy_Chris
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Brad Childress/Darrell Bevel/Eric Bieniemy for the 12 players into the huddle coming out of a timeout in the NFC championship.

J-Mike88
12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Brad Childress/Darrell Bevel/Eric Bieniemy for the 12 players into the huddle coming out of a timeout in the NFC championship.
Oooh yah, that's a serious winner right there. Or loser.
Already in long field goal range to win game and go to Super Bowl, they took a TO to get everything right.
Then sent too many guys out for the play, resulting in the 5-yard penalty that allowed Farve to be Farve, and blow up a season and break his team's fan's hearts.

I have to rank that one higher than Garrett's.
Good call!!!
+ Rep

bigbluedefense
12-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Didn't Mike Nolan challenge a field goal once?

Perry Fewell having 4 pass rushers and a suspect secondary so he decides to constantly rush 3 and drop everyone in coverage...

Everything Tim Lewis ever did.

Bill Sheridan. See Tim Lewis.

BeerBaron
12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Lovie Smith taking a timeout, thinking about it, then challenging a play....and losing.

Two timeouts and one challenge lost in a two minute sequence.

And then the non-challenge of a play he probably would have won on against the Redskins last year. ugh....

For $50,000 a year, I would totally be the Bears "Assistant Coach - Challenges and Timeouts."

All I'd do is hold the red flags and call timeouts. But I'd be better at it than Lovie.

DeepThreat
12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Lovie Smith taking a timeout, thinking about it, then challenging a play....and losing.

I was about to post this for Romeo Crennel.

BeerBaron
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3XgnF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qpZc9.jpg

bigbluedefense
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
One of the more frustrating coaching decisions to me is how teams use their timeouts when they get close to the 2 minute warning.

Example:

2:40 left on the clock, team A runs. Team B waits until the 2:00 warning. Then team A runs again, and team B calls timeout. So the clock stops at 1:55

Why not call timeout BEFORE the 2 minute warning. Then when they run again, it's the 2 minute warning. You save 5 seconds, which could be crucial at the end of a game.

5 seconds could be a lifetime when you're trying to clock the ball.

Yet I see teams do that scenario over and over and over again. I don't get it!

DraftSavant
12-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Two timeouts and one challenge lost in a two minute sequence.

And then the non-challenge of a play he probably would have won on against the Redskins last year. ugh....

For $50,000 a year, I would totally be the Bears "Assistant Coach - Challenges and Timeouts."

All I'd do is hold the red flags and call timeouts. But I'd be better at it than Lovie.

Isn't this basically Jim Tressel's job with Indy?

BeerBaron
12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Isn't this basically Jim Tressel's job with Indy?

Haha, yeah. He's probably more expensive than I'd be though.

Challenge and timeout management is underrated.

CC.SD
12-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Getting up in the morning -- Norv Turner

Flyboy
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
So, you're saying Norv DOESN'T turn his swag on?

Bengalsrocket
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
One of the more frustrating coaching decisions to me is how teams use their timeouts when they get close to the 2 minute warning.

Example:

2:40 left on the clock, team A runs. Team B waits until the 2:00 warning. Then team A runs again, and team B calls timeout. So the clock stops at 1:55

Why not call timeout BEFORE the 2 minute warning. Then when they run again, it's the 2 minute warning. You save 5 seconds, which could be crucial at the end of a game.

5 seconds could be a lifetime when you're trying to clock the ball.

Yet I see teams do that scenario over and over and over again. I don't get it!

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying, but I'll take a stab at anyways.

Since the 2 minute warning is a free time out, but uncontrollable, it's best to save your time outs till after the 2 minute warning. If you use any time outs before the two minute warning and the opposing team manages to get a first down, the game is effectively over.

Reverse that though, Let's say it's 2nd and 4 right after the two minute warning. If they get a first down now on this very play, you can time out then and after the next 2 downs. Which means they can only eat up 80 seconds (or 1:20) and leave you with a (hopefully) 30-40 second window to fight for the game.

Not sure if that's what you meant though, so sorry if it isn't :P

DraftSavant
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Haha, yeah. He's probably more expensive than I'd be though.

Challenge and timeout management is underrated.

Andy Reid might be hiring for the position. Lord knows, he needs it.

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2011, 06:50 PM

This is EASILY it IMO.

BeerBaron
12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Andy Reid might be hiring for the position. Lord knows, he needs it.

Reid just can't manage a clock period.

1:00 left, 80 yards to go, need a TD, no timeouts? 5 yard pass down the middle of the field.

Rabscuttle
12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I still can't believe KC had to give the Jets a draft pick for Herm Edwards.

That's almost like having to marry your rapist.

wogitalia
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Lovie Smith and the word challenge will almost always result in a blunder of some kind.

Ness
12-06-2011, 08:58 PM

This one. I'll never forget this one.

DeepThreat
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Lovie Smith and the word challenge will almost always result in a blunder of some kind.

I'm pretty sure Romeo Crennel never won a challenge. That's almost impossible in four years.

Iamcanadian
12-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Rex Ryan didn't use his TOs under 2 minutes when Miami had the ball inside their 15, because "he had confidence his defense would make a stop". Miami scored a TD and Jets didn't have any time left to try and come back.

This is #2 on my list just behind, the Giant's HC, Sherman I believe, when on the last play of the game against the Eagles, he asked his QB to hand off instead of taking a knee to win the game. The hand off was fumbled and taken the other way for a winning TD. The HC was fired the next day.

killxswitch
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Most of Jim Caldwell's game day decisions are the worst blunders I can recall.

OzTitan
12-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Mike Munchak challenged a play this year which was a 1st down for the Falcons (I think, or was it Bengals?) regardless of the outcome.

soybean
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm also still convinced that if Andy Reid or Donovan McNabb had any traits of someone who could properly manage the clock they wouldve had a much better chance at beating the Pats in the superbowl

descendency
12-07-2011, 12:30 AM
http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/joshmcdaniels4.jpg

Am I doing it right, Denver fans?

Sloopy
12-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm still pretty mad about the timeout that might have ended the Pats perfect season prematurely. Probably not the worst, but still pretty infuriating

wogitalia
12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Which coach was it this year that lost a challenge by challenging a review? Was it Lovie, I really think it might have been...

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 01:06 AM
The Pats 4th down on their own 28 against the Colts.

Brent
12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Year backs, I remember Dave Campo was down by 11, with not a lot of time remaining (I guess less than 2 minutes), when the Cowboys scored putting them within 4 before the PAT. However, Campo doesn't go for 2, which would have put them down by 3, and when they got the on-side kick, it was meaningless. Because there is no 4 point play, as this wasn't NFL Europe.

Ness
12-07-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised everyone forgot Mike Smith's decision to go for it on 4th down on the Falcons own 30 yard line or whatever it was in overtime.

BeerBaron
12-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm surprised everyone forgot Mike Smith's decision to go for it on 4th down on the Falcons own 30 yard line or whatever it was in overtime.

But that was a good decision! Because if they can't pickup one yard, they don't deserve to win! Rabble rabble!

It was dumb, but far, far, far from the worst.

Jughead10
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
The Pats 4th down on their own 28 against the Colts.

I actually agreed with that one.