PDA

View Full Version : Week 14 pulse: WHO WINS THE AFC?

J-Mike88
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I've had some good discussions on the airwaves today about this, and it's a pretty split group.... wanted to sample you guys here.

It's always hard as every Pats fan will have their team, every Steeler fan have his, etc....

But let's see what everyone else thinks.

-At this particular point in time.

gpngc
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
T.J. Yates and it's not close.

J-Mike88
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
As the poll shows, I go on record choosing the STEELERS.

A Perfect Score
12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Ravens have Colts, Chargers, Browns and Bengals left on the schedule. We should take home all 4 wins, but assuming we lose one we'll be looking at 12-4 at the minimum. On top of all that, we've got the tiebreaker over the Steelers and I'm pretty sure we have SOS on the Patriots.

Sloopy
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
If the Ravens can get home field advantage (very likely at this point) I believe it will be us. If Cam can realize he needs to run the ball we are lights out at home.

Jvig43
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Ravens have Colts, Chargers, Browns and Bengals left on the schedule. We should take home all 4 wins, but assuming we lose one we'll be looking at 12-4 at the minimum. On top of all that, we've got the tiebreaker over the Steelers and I'm pretty sure we have SOS on the Patriots.

Yeah I'm going with the Ravens, then Steelers. Hoping the Pats at least get second, but it really wont matter because outside of maybe playing Cincy, whoever wins the AFC west I think we go one and done like the last couple of years. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to get a Steelers Ravens AFC championship game.

Bucs_Rule
12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Pittsburgh and New England have won the AFC in 7 of the last 10 years.

It's really close between those two. New England I think is a slight favorite head to head. Just they've laid eggs in the last two playoff games. They have a better chance of someone else knocking them off then someone beating Pittsburgh.

I'd go with Pittsburgh, the Pats did is a real problem.

Baltimore has a chance if they can get homefield. Jets a tiny one as somehow they've got to the Championship game despite having unimpressive regular seasons.

Sloopy
12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I think Baltimore has more than a chance, especially with home field advantage....

I don't understand how people are still favoring the Steelers over us when we swept them this season, including a blow out in our stadium.

Bengalsrocket
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I voted Baltimore, even though I still have faith in the Bengals!

gpngc
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
When you think about it, these AFC playoff games are going to be ******* EPIC.

49erNation85
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Gotta go with Denver on how they are rolling I mean seriously if they would have started Tebow and gave him this offense at the begging of the year they could be what 9 and 2 maybe. But no they have to give Orton one last chance. Never bet against Tebow. I think this is the best way to get him going in the NFL and get his passing game off the ground as it improves ever game more and more yards in the air. I bet the score would have been a bigger gap if Miller and the other injured Denver guys where ( not sure who else was ) If they could get a few solid defense players and some protection and a good TE they are set with Tebow. Rumble Tebow Rumble .

A Perfect Score
12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Gotta go with Denver on how they are rolling I mean seriously if they would have started Tebow and gave him this offense at the begging of the year they could be what 9 and 2 maybe. But no they have to give Orton one last chance. Never bet against Tebow. I think this is the best way to get him going in the NFL and get his passing game off the ground as it improves ever game more and more yards in the air. I bet the score would have been a bigger gap if Miller and the other injured Denver guys where ( not sure who else was ) If they could get a few solid defense players and some protection and a good TE they are set with Tebow. Rumble Tebow Rumble .

How hard is it to type and suck Tebow's unit at the same time?

DeepThreat
12-06-2011, 09:29 PM
How hard is it to type and suck Tebow's unit at the same time?

Stop hating on 49erNation.

I went with the Ravens. Combination of schedule and team ability.

scottyboy
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
the ravens if they keep pounding the rock and dont get all cute with "hey, let's throw the ball 40 times with unibrow!)

Sloopy
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM

BAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA no but seriously what's your real opinion?

wogitalia
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Got to go with one of NE, Pitt and the Ravens.

I'm surprised how under the radar the Pats are right now.

Ravens are good when they run and very ordinary when they don't.

Pittsburgh are probably the most complete team of the 3 but that is by nature of being the 2nd best at everything!

Would love to see Houston get up though, would be really cool.

descendency
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm confident NE can beat anyone on that list except Baltimore.

vidae
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM

I understand being a Florida fan, and liking Tebow as a player, but come on man.

tjsunstein
12-06-2011, 11:00 PM
You're part of the problem.

The Alex
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM

http://i52.tinypic.com/9iu6g3.jpg

Bulldogs
12-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Only the second person I've neg repped so far on NFLDC.

J-Mike88
12-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I don't understand how people are still favoring the Steelers over us when we swept them this season, including a blow out in our stadium.
Last season, the Packers lost at Atlanta and at Chicago.
Then in the playoffs, we won at Atlanta.
And at Chicago.

Just because some results in September occurred, doesn't mean the same will happen in January.

Also, the Steelers have done it in the playoffs, have made the Super Bowl.
The Ravens haven't. Now they surely can, but you said you don't understand how people could favor Pittsburgh. Plus that last game was tooth & nails. Could have gone either way.

Smooth Criminal
12-07-2011, 07:44 AM
For me, its definitely only 3 contenders. Baltimore, New England, and Pittsburgh are the only 3 teams capable of making a run. Houston was there until they lost Schaub, and I don't believe teams like Cincy, Tennessee, Oakland, New York, and Denver have the talent level to compete in the playoffs.

As to those 3, I think home field matters a lot. The Ravens have 2 road games and two weak homes games to go, Steelers have one big challenge left at SF, and NE has Tebow left on the schedule.

I think Baltimore has the most complete roster and their first home playoff game in along time could give them a great home field advantage. If they can win out, they can definitely win 2 home games and make the Super Bowl.

Smooth Criminal
12-07-2011, 07:49 AM
When you think about it, these AFC playoff games are going to be ******* EPIC.

I dont really think so. We're gonna get either Pittsburgh or Baltimore matched up the AFC west champ, and either one of them can kill the Tebow trend. Other wildcard will feature a third string QB against the 6 seed, which will be the Bengals and their rookie QB.

Pittsburgh, New England, and Baltimore are all great teams that will put on great matchups when they meet each other, but I don't think the early rounds look interesting at all. Some pretty weak teams are looking like they're gonna get in.

Sloopy
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Last season, the Packers lost at Atlanta and at Chicago.
Then in the playoffs, we won at Atlanta.
And at Chicago.

Just because some results in September occurred, doesn't mean the same will happen in January.

Also, the Steelers have done it in the playoffs, have made the Super Bowl.
The Ravens haven't. Now they surely can, but you said you don't understand how people could favor Pittsburgh. Plus that last game was tooth & nails. Could have gone either way.

The Ravens actually have made it in the playoffs and have won a superbowl.

We also have never really had home field advantage in the playoffs until possibly now (Never have we had it actually IIRC)

We beat the Steelers at their home field four weeks ago and with the exception of some dumb road losses we have been fairly dominant. The Steelers on the other hand have really lost in all of their big games with the exception being NE.

I'm not saying they are definitively going to the superbowl, I just think that they have at least earned the right to be favorites going in, especially against what just isn't a good Steelers team this year.

jth1331
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I think that the Broncos if they get in could maybe win one playoff game when they have home field, but I don't know about winning at New England or Baltimore/Pittsburgh.

descendency
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I'd just like to point out that NE won the AFC last year if you are talking home field advantage.

Raiderz4Life
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I think Oakland has a better shot than Denver. SOS may not favor us too much but we're a better team than Denver.

We just got injuriezzz

J-Mike88
12-10-2011, 05:48 AM
I think Oakland has a better shot than Denver. SOS may not favor us too much but we're a better team than Denver.

We just got injuriezzz
I just remember Denver blitzkrieging the Raiders with like 28 straight points in the 2nd half when they met a month or so ago, in Oakland.
That was before Tebow learned how to pass too.

That race will go down to the wire, exciting one for fans.
Week 17 will be tasty.

Trogdor
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
I just remember Denver blitzkrieging the Raiders with like 28 straight points in the 2nd half when they met a month or so ago, in Oakland.
That was before Tebow learned how to pass too.

That race will go down to the wire, exciting one for fans.
Week 17 will be tasty.

http://gamesprays.com/images/icons/lolwut-3017_preview.jpg

Razor
12-10-2011, 07:43 AM
I went with the Patriots partly because I'm a homer, but also because I don't think Pittsburgh can beat us twice the same year. Brady and BB have traditionally been able to absolutely kill Pitt. Baltimore is a dark horse here, but I don't think they're consistent enough to make it the SB.

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 09:38 AM
I went with the Patriots partly because I'm a homer, but also because I don't think Pittsburgh can beat us twice the same year. Brady and BB have traditionally been able to absolutely kill Pitt. Baltimore is a dark horse here, but I don't think they're consistent enough to make it the SB.

Your not wrong that they have let downs, but none have come at home. At home we are pretty much lights out, especially in big games.

I wouldn't exactly call Baltimore a darkhorse since they hold the tie breakers IIRC and will most likely win homefield advantage with a pretty easy schedule remaining.

If I wanted to pick a darkhorse in the AFC it would be Houston, the most underrated of the teams leading the AFC, Schaub went down but they Yates hasn't been terrible, that D is still good, the run game is awesome and Jeff Garcia may yet make an appearence.

A lot of wildcard factors about that team (not to be confused with wildcard teams :P )

Ngatachance92
12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I would like to thank you J-Mike for reminding people that when polls like this are created most people vote for their own team psyching some people in to taking the Ravens over their own team so they don't look like a homer. Alas, I am a homer so Ravens it is.

JBCX
12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Either Houston or Baltimore.

Book it.

New England doesn't have a good enough defense to make a playoff run; Pittsburgh is too slow and mediocre in their secondary and will be exposed come playoff time; and the AFC West teams are just too inconsistent to compete.

gpngc
12-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I dont really think so. We're gonna get either Pittsburgh or Baltimore matched up the AFC west champ, and either one of them can kill the Tebow trend. Other wildcard will feature a third string QB against the 6 seed, which will be the Bengals and their rookie QB.

Pittsburgh, New England, and Baltimore are all great teams that will put on great matchups when they meet each other, but I don't think the early rounds look interesting at all. Some pretty weak teams are looking like they're gonna get in.

Possibly Jets too. The significance of those 2nd round and Championship games is HUGE for any of the four teams involved given the rivalries and how much they've played each other.

Plus, there's historical ramifications. Not to mention the potential for Flacco/Sanchez to silence their critics. And the Pats haven't won in forever, etc. etc.

These four teams are ALWAYS there so it makes it that much more intriuging. Everyone has proven that they CAN beat everyone, so when all four get on a crash course for each other - this is what it's all about. All the Flacco-Sanchez arguments, Ben's place in history, Brady's place in history, the teams are so evenly matched that there's no other way to describe it but EPIC when you think about it in context.

J-Mike88
12-10-2011, 04:04 PM
The Ravens have 2 byes left in their final 4 games: Colts and Browns.
They also host the Bengals, which should be a win.

Their only remaining possible loss is at San Diego. That game won't be a cakewalk for the Ravens. They've lost to worse teams than them..... if the real Philip Rivers, Gates, VJack show up, that week 15 game could be huge.

Now when I say WHO WILL WIN THE AFC, I mean who goes to the Super Bowl.
Homefield advantage is great, but no guarantee of anything, even one win.

My money's still on Pittsburgh or New England.

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM
The Ravens have 2 byes left in their final 4 games: Colts and Browns.
They also host the Bengals, which should be a win.

Their only remaining possible loss is at San Diego. That game won't be a cakewalk for the Ravens. They've lost to worse teams than them..... if the real Philip Rivers, Gates, VJack show up, that week 15 game could be huge.

Now when I say WHO WILL WIN THE AFC, I mean who goes to the Super Bowl.
Homefield advantage is great, but no guarantee of anything, even one win.

My money's still on Pittsburgh or New England.

My point is that I like the Ravens chances, especially over the Steelers and if we got homefield advantage for the first time in our teams history, our chances almost double

ChiFan24
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I picked the Ravens before the season and I have no reason to change that now, but I voted for Denver just because.

jsagan77
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
So how can the Jets go to the AFC Championship game two years in a row with Sanchez at the helm but Denver and Houston don't have a chance despite having very good run games, good D's, and less than optimal QB play?

I think this is the most wide open playoff for the AFC as there has been in years.

Sloopy
12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
So how can the Jets go to the AFC Championship game two years in a row with Sanchez at the helm but Denver and Houston don't have a chance despite having very good run games, good D's, and less than optimal QB play?

I think this is the most wide open playoff for the AFC as there has been in years.

I have Houston as a dark horse team and I think that they can make a run. I won't even get into the Denver thing

J-Mike88
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Well said.
I still think the Patriots and Steelers are too good, and battle-tested in the playoffs besides.

I can't remember any teams with 3rd string QBs leading a team deep into the playoffs.

Brothgar
12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Here is how I see the playoff picture unfolding.

Seed 1 Baltimore (13-3) - Assuming they don't fail boat again and lost to a team they shouldn't they will be the #1 seed having all roads travel through Baltimore.

Seed 2 - New England (13-3) - They also win out but Baltimore has the tiebreaker. Unless Tebow magic "beats" the Pats anyway then oddly enough Houston takes it

Seed 3 - Houston (13-3) - A favorable schedule the rest of the way out will keep Houston who just clinched the AFC South it will be hard for Denver or Oakland to catch up.

Seed 4 - Tim Tebow (10-5) Just WINZZZ GAIMES!

Seed 5 - Pittsburgh (12-4) Steel City's two losses to Baltimore are the difference.

Seed 6 - Raiders/Jets - The loss of the Bengals to the Texans essentially knocks the Bengals out of the playoffs. The big matchup will be Jets v. Philly in the battle of the turnpike Jets win they are in if they don't Oakland will take the spot. That is unless they beat the giants in the battle of the Medolands.

WILD CARD = Pittsburgh vs the Tebows - They finally play a real playoff caliber team and loses.

Houston v Oakland - Oakland backs into the playoffs but no further Even with TJ Yates as the QB Tate and Foster should do great and Andre should be back by then.

Pittsburgh @ Baltimore - Three in a row Tic Tac Toe!

New England v. Houston - It was a great run by the Texans but the Pats long losing streak in the playoffs is over Tate and Foster + the great D isn't enough this time.

New England @ Baltimore - Both of Baltimroe's losses comes the week after playing Pittsburgh. Coincidence? Maybe but that could be the little Edge New England needs.

My Pick New England.

jsagan77
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Well said.
I still think the Patriots and Steelers are too good, and battle-tested in the playoffs besides.

I can't remember any teams with 3rd string QBs leading a team deep into the playoffs.

I agree but the caveats I have are that the Pats have the O to hang with anyone but their D is terrible and the Steelers/Ravens have played down to their competition at times this year.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the AFC playoffs this year more than usual because I'm interested to see how it shakes out.

scottyboy
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
the answer is obviously tebow. Denver is unstoppable with him.

J-Mike88
12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Well now, Houston and Baltimore fall today, also the Jets and Broncos.
Will Pittsburgh take advantage, and win at San Fran tomorrow to move up to the 1?

What a race.....
I still like who I voted for as long as Big Ben is there.
Steelers or Patriots, can't see anyone else making the Super Bowl from the AFC, still.

Jvig43
12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
So idk if anyone would have a link or knows off the top of their head but I recall earlier in the year it was discussed how despite the fact that the steelers beat the pats, if both teams won out and the Ravens lost the Pats would get the number one seed. However some have said that the Steelers would win it because they beat the Pats this year (makes more sense to me). Anyone have any idea of what happens if both teams win out?

J-Mike88
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
So idk if anyone would have a link or knows off the top of their head but I recall earlier in the year it was discussed how despite the fact that the steelers beat the pats, if both teams won out and the Ravens lost the Pats would get the number one seed. However some have said that the Steelers would win it because they beat the Pats this year (makes more sense to me). Anyone have any idea of what happens if both teams win out?
If it's just 2 teams tied, then it goes to head-to-head right?
If it's 3 teams tied, it goes to conference-record.
I can't wait for the AFC title game and really really hope it's NE vs Pittsburgh.
Sorry Ravens fans, but that QB and that play-caller just disturb me.

descendency
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
If it's just 2 teams tied, then it goes to head-to-head right?
If it's 3 teams tied, it goes to conference-record.
I can't wait for the AFC title game and really really hope it's NE vs Pittsburgh.
Sorry Ravens fans, but that QB and that play-caller just disturb me.

This. The head to head is the first decider and the Patriots lost that game. They need SF to win tonight.

soybean
12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I think the superbowl is going to be Green Bay and New England.

the Pats defense gets lambasted a lot and rightfully so but they have a top 3 offense and it might be enough to overcome their defensive shortcomings.