PDA

View Full Version : The Packers Non Stock Stock

bigbluedefense
12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
....really?

And this is flying off the shelves bc? This is basically taking PSLs to a whole new level. Just shows you how the NFL is such a cash cow.

People will actually drop 200 bucks for a piece of pretend paper that tells you that you own part of the team when you really don't own part of the team.

It's like a fake million dollar bill. That's selling for 200 bucks.

I just find it hard to believe that this is flying off the shelves. Makes no sense to me at all.

Jvig43
12-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I read some of this in the packers thread. Crazy.

ImBrotherCain
12-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I mean I know its a novelty but I would buy a share... Just for the certificate to hang on my wall.

Then again I am a Packer fan.

ryno626
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
The 250000 shares of "stock" sale is funding a facelift of sorts for Lambeau. The money being raised through the sale is going to allow the team to add additional seats in the stadium. 250000 shares at $250 is 62.5 million dollars, easy money for the team. The team obviously can't tear down Lambeau and rebuild something with more suites/PSLs to generate revenue so this is the next best thing. This is the fourth or fifth time the team has done this correct? I think it is a little silly but I'd buy a share in the Patriots if they ever followed suit ha.

Jughead10
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
The 250000 shares of "stock" sale is funding a facelift of sorts for Lambeau. The money being raised through the sale is going to allow the team to add additional seats in the stadium. 250000 shares at $250 is 62.5 million dollars, easy money for the team. The team obviously can't tear down Lambeau and rebuild something with more suites/PSLs to generate revenue so this is the next best thing. This is the fourth or fifth time the team has done this correct? I think it is a little silly but I'd buy a share in the Patriots if they ever followed suit ha.

But it's not really a share. What does that share get you? Can you sell it in 5 years for a profit if the Packers continue to make money?

Are people buying multiple "shares"?

mittelstaedt2007
12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Still think this is a better option than a forced tax. Why not raise funds from people voluntarily giving money to the organization, rather than whine and complain until they force the city/county/state into boosting taxes so they can add 2000 seats.

ryno626
12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
But it's not really a share. What does that share get you? Can you sell it in 5 years for a profit if the Packers continue to make money?

Are people buying multiple "shares"?

I know it isn't worth anything, it's merely a conversation piece to hang in your man cave. It is a way to generate funds to renovate the stadium without raising taxes in the county

Jughead10
12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I know it isn't worth anything, it's merely a conversation piece to hang in your man cave. It is a way to generate funds to renovate the stadium without raising taxes in the county

It is. You could just raise ticket prices. But I guess this expands the money pool to people who don't attend games regularly.

ShutDwn
12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
[qoute]However, be aware that Packers stock isn't like regular stock. The value doesn't go up, there are no dividends and it has virtually no resale value. Stockholders do get voting rights, along with the chance to attend annual meetings where they can meet Packers executives, tour the Packers Hall of Fame and stick around for the kickoff of training camp.
[/quote]

http://news.yahoo.com/packers-plan-stock-sale-nfl-owner-250-205718829.html

It's a backstage pass with some voting rights. I don't think it's that bad a deal for a die hard fan who wants to say they helped the team. This year is definitely the one to pull this off.