PDA

View Full Version : Will Trent Cole be suspended?

whatadai
12-07-2011, 12:34 PM
I searched for a thread on this and only saw a few posts on it...here's the HD quality video of Cole tearing Okung's pectoral muscle...

http://vimeo.com/33062770

I've only seen a few forums talking about this and no NFL news on it...just wondering if he'll get punished for this? Seems kind of ridiculous that Suh gets a 2 game suspension for a head slamming and light stomp and Seymour gets an ejection for a weakass punch, but Cole gets nothing for tearing a guy's muscle and ending his season?

Yes, I can see that at the beginning of the play Okung puts his right hand under Cole's left armpit and holds onto his shoulder pad and the referees don't see, but did Cole have to react in such a way? This is the NFL, not the WWE or XFL.

You also see Okung trying to pull away at the whistle but Cole grabs onto his arm and throws him over his hip.

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Is this thread for real?

It was a football play for crying out loud. There are scuffles on every play man.

whatadai
12-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Is this thread for real?

It was a football play for crying out loud. There are scuffles on every play man.

Yes, on every play someone intentionally throws an opposing player and tears a muscle to end his season. /sarcasm In my opinion, this is worse than Suh's reaction, a punch and kick there is a scuffle. Throwing a guy over your hip and hyper-extending his arm so that it tears a muscle is not a scuffle.

Giantsfan1080
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
He was fined $7,500 and that's the end of it.

killxswitch
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd say it's not Cole's fault Okung is made of Glass. Maybe he shouldn't have done it but that kind of thing happens all the time and 99/100 the guy that gets flipped gets back up to fight.

descendency
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
If there wasn't an injury, no one would be crying about it.

Maybe if Okung would stop playing after the whistle, he wouldn't have gotten flipped.

Yes, on every play someone intentionally throws an opposing player and tears a muscle to end his season. /sarcasm In my opinion, this is worse than Suh's reaction, a punch and kick there is a scuffle. Throwing a guy over your hip and hyper-extending his arm so that it tears a muscle is not a scuffle.

Suh wasn't suspended for that single play. Suh was suspended because he continuously shows poor judgement. (including his wreck after his suspension).

Though, the bold is insane.

Raiderz4Life
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I blame this on Okung for being a little girl and letting himself get tossed like a *****

Sloopy
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I blame this on Okung for being a little girl and letting himself get tossed like a *****

Agreed, we should fine Okung $7,500 for actions detrimental to the image of the league :P

Matthew Jones
12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
The $7,500 fine isn't enough. I've always respected Trent Cole but he needs to get to some anger management classes.

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, Cole did this with the sole purpose of tearing Okungs pec....what a punk.

SuperPacker
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Things like this happen on every play! Just because he got injured on it dont mean he should get harsher treatment...

asdf1223
12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Golden Tate got a 7,500$ fine for essentially falling in the endzone to celebrate the previous week. So a season ending cheap shot injury = falling in the endzone.

phlysac
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
He was just trying to get his balance. Just ask the man upstairs.

wogitalia
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I really don't see the problem, sure he was probably a bit late doing it but that just looked like a good move to get a guy that had engaged you off to me.

Even the fine seems harsh.

Injuries happen, it's a stupid system where you want to fine and suspend players because some guy gets hurt on what was essentially a football move and this comes from someone who thinks the Suh suspension was completely over the top but what Suh did was like on a whole different level of bad compared to this, and to me what Suh did was barely anything.

BigBanger
12-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Okung should probably stop blocking people in the back and putting himself in such a position.

This is like fining someone for hitting another player too hard. It's ********.

vidae
12-08-2011, 01:49 AM
It was completely unnecessary to flip Okung over his shoulder after the whistle and if you're arguing that it wasn't you're probably braindead.

themaninblack
12-08-2011, 02:05 AM
This is certainly worse than Suh's actions against the Packers. I'm sure most who have never actually played the game and/or only listen to ESPN's opinions will disagree but this is terrible. He basically judo throws an opposing player after the whistle, which happens to wrip his pec off the bone. That's inexcusable IMO. Cole was trying to punish someone because of an action he felt unnecessary (and by doign so I think he meant to inflict harm) and went too far when Suh was basically just trying to defend himself and got pissed when there wasn't a call in his favor. The guy throws a hissy fit and stomps his legs a couple of times and everyone wants to jump and label the guy a dirty player. Interior lineman are supposed to be dirty players on both sides of the ball. Maybe that is a sad fact but it is a reality. Many times the only way to gain an advantage over another comparable player is to bend the rules a little bit, or at the very least encourage him to do the very same, and just play the game of football in the aggressive and virtually unmerciful way it was meant to be played.

The man is one of the best young players in the NFL and everyone just seems hell-bent on bringing him down because of it. He's not perfect and he's certainly made some mistakes along the way but c'mon he's essentially the only defensive factor that is making their resurgence possible. Talk about Corey Williams or whomever else you please but this simple fact is true.

whatadai
12-08-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm sorry, but anyone who calls that a "football move" doesn't watch football.

http://judoinfo.com/images/nauta/haraigoshi.htm

Yep...definitely a football move./sarcasm He deserves a worse punishment than a small fine that is basically pocket change for him.

PoopSandwich
12-08-2011, 03:21 AM
The play was dead and he flipped him over his shoulder which lead to a player tearing his pec and being out for the season, yet this isn't worth more than $7,500.

Hey I accidently hit someone with my head on a high speed play and I get fined $20,000 VS. Hey I lost my temper and threw someone over my shoulder and tore one of their muscles but got a $7,500 fine.

Ngatachance92
12-08-2011, 03:25 AM
The whole system of discipline is ****** in the NFL. Does Rodger have a random fine generator app on his IPhone?

wogitalia
12-08-2011, 04:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelphia-eagles/09000d5d824d3b7f/Cole-flips-Okung-draws-fine

Version for those who want to watch it without a video delay to make it look way worse than it actually was.

It was late, the move itself has nothing wrong with it, basically it was like tackling someone late from a rules point of view. Unfortunate it resulted in a season ending injury but Okung isn't innocent here either, his block was sustained after the whistle as well.

This wasn't some malicious or illegal action though, a defensive player is perfectly entitled to make moves like that to get to a ball carrier, the only problem is this time it was late.

Worth noting, that is a fantastic block by Okung though.

J-Mike88
12-08-2011, 05:23 AM
It was completely unnecessary to flip Okung over his shoulder after the whistle and if you're arguing that it wasn't you're probably braindead.
You're absolutely right. The crappy NFL Network broadcast didn't even show it, mention it here. They had advertisements to sell at this spot.

The whiners here, what DOES happen every play is a guy finishes his blocks for a split second after the whistle as Okung did here.

What shouldn't happen is what Cole did. He IS lucky all he got was a 7500 slap on the finger.

But his real punishment is being on the Eagles.

XxXdragonXxX
12-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Cole is a *****. Okung dominated his punk ass all game, Cole got mad and hip tossed him.

Somehow this garners less of a punishment than wearing the wrong socks.

killxswitch
12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Cole is a *****. Okung dominated his punk ass all game, Cole got mad and hip tossed him.

Somehow this garners less of a punishment than wearing the wrong socks.

I do think the fine amount is too low. I don't agree with those that say this is worse than Suh's stomp. A torn pec should never be expected after a flip like that. Guys take worse falls in every game. Cole shouldn't have done it but the pec tear was kind of a freak result IMO.

XxXdragonXxX
12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't think the injury matters. This isn't wrestling or judo, it should be treated the same as throwing a punch.

BRAVEHEART
12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Cole isn't as big of a name as Suh, so Goodell doesn't care. It's all about image.

killxswitch
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Cole isn't as big of a name as Suh, so Goodell doesn't care. It's all about image.

It's weird how under-the-radar Cole is. He's been a top player in the league long enough that his low draft status should've been overcome by now.

wogitalia
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't think the injury matters. This isn't wrestling or judo, it should be treated the same as throwing a punch.

It's a legal move, this is more akin to a late hit than a punch because that is a legal move if it wasn't after the whistle. Striking an opponent is specifically outlawed on the other hand(like stomping).

Injury is unfortunate and it's a cheap play(like any late hit) but that is all it is.

FlyingElvis
12-08-2011, 11:05 AM

The $7,500 fine isn't enough. I've always respected Trent Cole but he needs to get to some anger management classes.

Both sum up how I feel about it.

Cole acted poorly b/c he was blasted by Okung. The fine is warranted and a bigger fine would have been acceptable. Cole doesn't have a history (at least afaik) so it's basically an 'entry level' type fine.

Dooshy, for sure, but done. The injury is very unfortunate, but the punishment should not factor that in.

whatadai
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Both sum up how I feel about it.

Cole acted poorly b/c he was blasted by Okung. The fine is warranted and a bigger fine would have been acceptable. Cole doesn't have a history (at least afaik) so it's basically an 'entry level' type fine.

Dooshy, for sure, but done. The injury is very unfortunate, but the punishment should not factor that in.

I think that's the problem I have with it...the fact that it's an "entry level" fine. WTF is that? Is this like a membership fee for some poor sportsmanship club? The fine should have been much larger than that as a deterrence for a repeat. Instead, it's a slap on the wrist and swept under the rug when it was just as bad as Suh's reaction. Now that Suh is suspended, what's the chance of him reacting like that again? Extremely low.