PDA

View Full Version : Why is Everyone on Blackmon's Nuts?

PatrickWillis
12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
First, let me say that I think he will be a good NFL wide receiver. The positives are obviously his strength and power. He runs clean patterns and attacks the ball in traffic.

His speed is not 4.48 like I have read from some. I would hazard a guess he's going to time somewhere around 4.6, slightly below average for the position. His hands are brutal. Bricks. He also loses focus quite often.

So while I think he will be good, I can tell you that any team who takes him in the top 10 will be making a mistake. He's very similar to Dwayne Bowe, with less speed than Bowe. Would you take Bowe in the top 10? I wouldn't. Late 1st, sure.

And Michael Floyd is a better prospect than him.

holt_bruce81
12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
His hands are brutal? Since when?

DraftSavant
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't say his hands are brutal, but he does have lapses in concentration and a bad habit of body catching on inside breaking routes.

PatrickWillis
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
His hands are brutal? Since when?

Texas A&M game I saw at least 3 drops. And I usually don't whine as much as some fans do about drops, but it seems clear that he just does not have natural pass catching hands.

Csna
12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I heard he likes to drop balls on the 1 yard line also

Iamcanadian
12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll have to watch him at the combine to see if this bares out as a fact although brutal may be a bit harsh.

keylime_5
12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
His hands aren't "brutal" though I won't say he has Michael Crabtree or Anquan Boldin's hands despite being similar in other aspects to those two. Guys can always improve their hands greatly too....Jerry Rice's nickname as a rookie was Butterfingers, but he had an elite work ethic and became the standard for catching passes. If a guy has bad hands and is a diva with no work ethic it's a much bigger concern than if he has a great work ethic and needs to work on catching/concentration.

keylime_5
12-08-2011, 07:21 PM
First, let me say that I think he will be a good NFL wide receiver. The positives are obviously his strength and power. He runs clean patterns and attacks the ball in traffic.

His speed is not 4.48 like I have read from some. I would hazard a guess he's going to time somewhere around 4.6, slightly below average for the position. His hands are brutal. Bricks. He also loses focus quite often.

So while I think he will be good, I can tell you that any team who takes him in the top 10 will be making a mistake. He's very similar to Dwayne Bowe, with less speed than Bowe. Would you take Bowe in the top 10? I wouldn't. Late 1st, sure.

This is true from purely the on-field aspect of the game and most agree - but Floyd has character/off field issues that will cause Blackmon to be taken before him.

Bowe didn't produce like Blackmon in college and wasn't quite as quick with the ball in his hands.

PTPaQ
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
LoL the kid is going to be a young Terrell Owens w/o the vertical speed. T.O. never had elite hands, bobbled, let it get into his body sometimes, but would you pass on him? He is not very similar to Dwayne Bowe at all either.

PatrickWillis
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
This is true from purely the on-field aspect of the game and most agree - but Floyd has character/off field issues that will cause Blackmon to be taken before him.

Bowe didn't produce like Blackmon in college and wasn't quite as quick with the ball in his hands.

This kid isn't exactly a saint either...believe he missed some time last year from a DUI which resulted in a suspension.

And also, Bowe played at LSU...not known for their passing attack. Blackmon plays in the spread where they throw it constantly.

PatrickWillis
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
LoL the kid is going to be a young Terrell Owens w/o the vertical speed. T.O. never had elite hands, bobbled, let it get into his body sometimes, but would you pass on him? He is not very similar to Dwayne Bowe at all either.

You said it yourself. Owens in his prime, besides Randy Moss, was the most explosive receiver in football. We're talking 4.3 speed at 225 pounds with great agility. Damned rare. This kid is 6'1, 220? And runs a 4.6 without great hands? Not a top 10 talent. Just not.

PossibleCabbage
12-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I think Blackmon is the best receiver prospect in this draft, but I also don't see any receivers in this draft who are worth top 10 picks. Were it not for the character issues, I would have Blackmon behind both Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree coming out of college. Blackmon may well have his head screwed on a little better, though.

crisco0710
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
This kid isn't exactly a saint either...believe he missed some time last year from a DUI which resulted in a suspension.

And also, Bowe played at LSU...not known for their passing attack. Blackmon plays in the spread where they throw it constantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8HNoYwI_4

Iamcanadian
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
You said it yourself. Owens in his prime, besides Randy Moss, was the most explosive receiver in football. We're talking 4.3 speed at 225 pounds with great agility. Damned rare. This kid is 6'1, 220? And runs a 4.6 without great hands? Not a top 10 talent. Just not.

Actually, I believe Owens ran a 4.60 at his workout, nothing close to a 4.30. He became faster after getting to pro ball but I doubt he ever got to 4.30.

Iamcanadian
12-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I think Blackmon is the best receiver prospect in this draft, but I also don't see any receivers in this draft who are worth top 10 picks. Were it not for the character issues, I would have Blackmon behind both Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree coming out of college. Blackmon may well have his head screwed on a little better, though.

Dez Bryant slipped on draft day for a strong reason. He doesn't understand route running and his football IQ is extremely low. Depending how fast a 40 Blackmon runs, will give us a far better idea of what his ceiling is? To be rated as high as he is, suggests to me that the scouts expect him to run in the 4.45-4.50 range, if he does, he certainly belongs in the top 10. If he is slower than 4.55, I doubt he is taken anywhere close to the top 10.

PoopSandwich
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM

what.

Complex
12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Didn't Dez run a 4.6?

SRogers92
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
The fact you think he runs a 4.6, along with some of your clueless comments in your original post shows to me that you have an agenda against Blackmon. The kid will run a 4.42-4.45 which is very good for a 220lb wide receiver. I'm not sure how anyone can watch his game and think he's a slow, possession WR. Laughable.

He may have lapses in concentration, but -- he makes a lot of tough grabs in traffic. Watch his game against Arizona this year where he catches two over the shoulder fades and catches about 3 slants in traffic while getting popped. Blackmon is a freaking stud and will go top 5.

Floyd is not better, either. If you're going to question his speed and ability to separate than watch Floyd when he plays any team with a pulse which is hard to say because he plays such an easy schedule. But, against USC he was absolutely shut out by a 5'8 CB.

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm not feeling all the love of Blackmon either, but this forum is very flip floppy and has a mob mentality. Jeffery was regarded like Calvin Johnson before the season started, and now he's a nobody.

PossibleCabbage
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm just not feeling this WR class of "first round guys." Unless I have no other needs, I just don't want to take a WR in the first this year.

Pretty good depth starting at day 2 though.

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I like Floyd, Blackmon and Jeffery, and I'd gladly have them on my team. I just don't see Elite status from Blackmon, and he's closer to being 3rd on this list than he is to being Calvin Johnson or Fitzy.

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
As for comparisons, I see him as Roddy White if he fully pans out... not TO, but damn damn good.

PatrickWillis
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The fact you think he runs a 4.6, along with some of your clueless comments in your original post shows to me that you have an agenda against Blackmon. The kid will run a 4.42-4.45 which is very good for a 220lb wide receiver. I'm not sure how anyone can watch his game and think he's a slow, possession WR. Laughable.

He may have lapses in concentration, but -- he makes a lot of tough grabs in traffic. Watch his game against Arizona this year where he catches two over the shoulder fades and catches about 3 slants in traffic while getting popped. Blackmon is a freaking stud and will go top 5.

Floyd is not better, either. If you're going to question his speed and ability to separate than watch Floyd when he plays any team with a pulse which is hard to say because he plays such an easy schedule. But, against USC he was absolutely shut out by a 5'8 CB.

Wes Bunting recently wrote a piece about Blackmon guessing he would time around 4.6, and after watching him play, I believe it. Blackmon creates separation because he's very technical and runs crisp patterns. He doesn not have 4.4 speed. That makes you the idiot.

And Floyd is a better player after the catch, better jump bal threat, better hands. He'd easily be my pick before Blackmon, especially considering Blackmon's stats are inflated due to okie's scheme.

rawdawg
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm in the camp that I believe Blackmon is a sub 4.5 runner. I wouldn't expect low 4.4s, but something between 4.46 and 4.51 is what I am expecting.

I will say though that I don't think he plays as fast as he will time.

TACKLE
12-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah 4.50 give or take a couple hundredths seems right.

jth1331
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Too much relying on a freakin 40 time.
4.5/4.6 is plenty fast.
Also, Owens was never blazing fast and never ran a sub 4.4 I bet.
You don't need to be able to have 4.3 speed in order to succeed in the NFL.

PatrickWillis
12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Too much relying on a freakin 40 time.
4.5/4.6 is plenty fast.
Also, Owens was never blazing fast and never ran a sub 4.4 I bet.
You don't need to be able to have 4.3 speed in order to succeed in the NFL.

One of the dumbest posts ever. You obviously didn't watch too much Terrell Owens in his prime.

PatrickWillis
12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Actually, I believe Owens ran a 4.60 at his workout, nothing close to a 4.30. He became faster after getting to pro ball but I doubt he ever got to 4.30.

Owens didn't time 4.6. You are right that he became faster in the league as he got into his prime, as well as his incredible work ethic, but he was never 4.6. He didn't do anything at Tenn-Chatt statistically, yet he was taken in the 3rd round from a no name school. Reason? He was an incredible athlete that was very raw.

4.30 might be a little too generous I agree, but 4.35-4.40 in Owens prime isn't that far off. Especially in 2000-2002....He was the 2nd fastest wideout in football after Moss.

Grizzlegom
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Amazing how much a year changes things. This time last year we were discussing Blackmon as arguably the top deep threat in the draft.

FUNBUNCHER
12-09-2011, 03:44 PM

TO had elite game speed but he NEVER ran an official 4.3.
I think Blackmon is very similar to Hakeem Nicks and can be a starting #1. But I don't know if I'd take him top 5 because I don't think he has elite tools.

DraftSavant
12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
@LanceZierlein Regional scout believes OK St WR Justin Blackmon will not be top 15 pick due to speed concerns. Has a late 1st grade.

via Twitter, obviously.

PatrickWillis
12-09-2011, 04:02 PM
@LanceZierlein Regional scout believes OK St WR Justin Blackmon will not be top 15 pick due to speed concerns. Has a late 1st grade.

via Twitter, obviously.

Geee.....These guys who post here know WAY MORE about speed than the scouts....

cmarq83
12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Speed is speed. It doesn't necessarily take a trained eye to tell if a guy is fast enough or not. Obviously nobody knows until the guy times.

niel89
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe its just the number, but is how is Boldin as a comparison? Similar size, and Q had a slow timed 40 but he he didn't have problems with speed in the NFL.

ULT
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Don't think Blackmon will go top 10. You need to be special (fitz, cj, aj green) to go top 5.

PTPaQ
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Don't you post here as well? Also so many scouts/teams have been burned drafting off of speed its not even worth debating...

If you watch Blackmon dominate on Saturday's you can see more than enough reason of why you will see him dominate on Sunday's. It's not like all of his touchdowns are just him running go routes by the secondary anyways, he works all kinds of routes, makes a living over the middle, a nightmare to tackle one on one like Brandon Marshall, and I dont know anything about him off the field but i do know he plays his ass off.

Saints-Tigers
12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
TO was never at any point the second fastest receiver in football, not close.

CDCB14
12-10-2011, 01:36 AM
One of the dumbest posts ever. You obviously didn't watch too much Terrell Owens in his prime.

Actually, your wrong.

TO ran in the high 4.5s when he came out of Tennessee-Chattanooga. He was just one of those guys with great "game speed." He could beat anyone deep with pads on. In shorts, TO's 40 time wasn't anything special for a WR. When the pads come on, things change.

Wrathman
12-10-2011, 03:42 AM

Per your own posts, the scouts don't know either. You quoted Wes Bunting "believing" what Blackmon's speed might be and another scout quoted here admitted he "guessed" what it might be.

I don't see an elite receiver in this draft, speed or no speed.

BamaFalcon59
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
The Roddy White comparison is spot on. Especially the Roddy we've been seeing the past few years.

Both are big, physical receivers who rely on good routes and their strength. They're very similar. Roddy also has concentration lapses at times, dropping some easy balls.

Some people may not want to take a Roddy White in the top five, but the thing is that Blackmon is a 'safe' pick. And Roddy, despite not being extremely big or fast, has been one of the most productive receivers in the league for years now.

Saints-Tigers
12-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I would take Blackmon in the top 5, if I was sure Blackmon would max out and reach what Roddy White has.

Edit: eh, I guess it depends what other prospects I'm looking at.

FUNBUNCHER
12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
If Blackmon runs a 4.4 predraft like Roddy did, he should go top 10 or better.

I don't think Blackmon is that fast.

mqtirishfan
12-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Bowe had 2,297 yards and 26 TDs.

Blackmon currently has 3,378 yards and 37 TDs.

It's not like it was particularly close... Regardless of scheme, Blackmon has been prolifically productive.

PatrickWillis
12-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Bowe had 2,297 yards and 26 TDs.

Blackmon currently has 3,378 yards and 37 TDs.

It's not like it was particularly close... Regardless of scheme, Blackmon has been prolifically productive.

It has everything to do with scheme and attack dipsh**t.

Look at how many times OKIE throws the ball compared with LSU. I'm quite certain you'd see another discrepancy. Also have to remember that LSU is in the SEC, compared with whatever crackerjack box conference Okie plays in.

TACKLE
12-12-2011, 12:32 AM
why is everyone on blackmon's nuts???

because braces are hawt.
pause

MetSox17
12-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Jeffery was regarded like Calvin Johnson before the season started, and now he's a nobody.

That's because he has eaten himself out of being a top five pick. The weight gain and drop off in production explains his lost stock. He has every bit the potential to be the best WR prospect in this class but serious speed and character concerns have knocked him off his pedestal. All of that happened in the last year, so it's not a flavor of the week type of thing, there is legitimate reasons why people are hesitant about him now.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Actually, your wrong.

TO ran in the high 4.5s when he came out of Tennessee-Chattanooga. He was just one of those guys with great "game speed." He could beat anyone deep with pads on. In shorts, TO's 40 time wasn't anything special for a WR. When the pads come on, things change.

This is true but it should also be noted that Owens was a non stop workout warrior, who put in endless hours of building up his body after the draft, right up until today. He made himself a lot faster through a rigorous program of building his strength up into somewhere near 4.45-4.50 40 time.
It is similar to how Tom Brady built up his arm strength after he was drafted in the 6th round.
Both these guys worked on the bodies until they became what they are today.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 01:32 AM
TO had elite game speed but he NEVER ran an official 4.3.
I think Blackmon is very similar to Hakeem Nicks and can be a starting #1. But I don't know if I'd take him top 5 because I don't think he has elite tools.

I think the Nix comparison is pretty close, top 5 might be a little high but I don't think 8-15 is out of the question. I think he will go somewhere in that area.

PatrickWillis
12-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I think the Nix comparison is pretty close, top 5 might be a little high but I don't think 8-15 is out of the question. I think he will go somewhere in that area.

You would take a Hakeem Nicks in the 8-15 area? Lol.

SenorGato
12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I liken him to Hakeem Nicks with a touch less bulk for a touch more speed and/or quickness.

He shouldn't go in the top 10.

Iamcanadian
12-12-2011, 02:59 AM

Your comparing apples an oranges. Blackmon is a prospect, Nix is a proven commodity. Nix was drafted #29 in round 1 and now he is worth a lot more.
Blackmon will be drafted a lot higher than #29 and I think the 8-15 range is about right although he could go higher to a team desperate for a WR but I don't think he is worth it.

PossibleCabbage
12-12-2011, 03:01 PM
It's interesting, of the various comparisons to Blackmon people are trotting out in this thread (T.O., Roddy White, Nicks, etc.), I personally wouldn't take any of those guys in the top 5 either.

FUNBUNCHER
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
If Blackmon is taken top 5, the top tier talent in the 2012 draft IMO is weak.

gutman54
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
What about what teams need? IF there is someone who needs a wide receiver in the top 15, he is arguably the best talent, depending on what that team wants. You all want to debate if he deserves to go or not, but it comes down to what a team needs, and not necessarily how elite a player is. And to the guy who started this thread, Willis, keep up the "my ideas are better than yours" mentality, I sure hope you don't have that in the real world.

PossibleCabbage
12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
What about what teams need? IF there is someone who needs a wide receiver in the top 15, he is arguably the best talent, depending on what that team wants.

Personally, I believe it never benefits a team to reach for a "need" rather than taking the best player available, or another means to maximize the value of their picks.

So if I don't have a player in the top 15, I would never suggest a team take that player in the top 15 regardless of how much they "need" at that position.

If nothing else, wide receiver is one of the least critical positions in terms of needs-based drafting. Generally a WR is the last piece of a successful team, not the first, so there's really no reason to take one high unless he's legitimately a rare prospect.

Iamcanadian
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Personally, I believe it never benefits a team to reach for a "need" rather than taking the best player available, or another means to maximize the value of their picks.

So if I don't have a player in the top 15, I would never suggest a team take that player in the top 15 regardless of how much they "need" at that position.

Generally when scouts and GM's say they will take the BPA, they are talking about 5-10 players who are in a tier of relatively equal talent, they aren't talking about a specific player. Usually, they can find in that tier of players, a position of need on their team, so quite often the best player available is a need pick.
People sometimes get this mixed up thinking drafting for need means only taking a player, a few spots ahead of where they would go anyway. If I have say the 10 th pick in the draft, the tier I am drafting from may contain anywhere from 5 to 10 players so there are no GM's who will skip down 5 to 10 bodies just to draft for need, they will reach into the tier and select a need/BPA position from that group. To reach for a different player, in a different tier just for need, can mean you are taking the 21st talent in the draft rather than a top 10 talent. No scout or GM will ever do that.

If nothing else, wide receiver is one of the least critical positions in terms of needs-based drafting. Generally a WR is the last piece of a successful team, not the first, so there's really no reason to take one high unless he's legitimately a rare prospect.

While I do agree that the WR position is a secondary position on a football team and should not be drafted ahead of a primary position player, if both are of equal talent.
I wouldn't necessarily agree that the WR position is the last piece that you put into play. If I'm drafting #15 and the tier of prospects who are of equal talent, has only 1 player left who is a WR, I draft him rather than reach down for a far lower ranked talent at another position.
I would even consider drafting a WR from the same tier even if there were 4 or 5 prospects still available from that tier, if I had a young QB in need of some skilled help at that position. I would say, he doesn't have to be a rare prospect unless you are drafting in the top 5. Sometimes, the situation can change priorities.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Nicks is a freak. Not sure Blackmon becomes as good as him

IMO the guy is a bit overrated. Will still be a good player. But I just don't see elite separation when I watch him. No one else feels he's a bit similar to Michael Crabtree?

Definite step down from Green/Jones last year

Flyboy
12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Nicks is a freak. Not sure Blackmon becomes as good as him

IMO the guy is a bit overrated. Will still be a good player. But I just don't see elite separation when I watch him. No one else feels he's a bit similar to Michael Crabtree?

Definite step down from Green/Jones last year

I think Blackmon is more explosive than Crabtree and I have a HUGE Crabtree fan as a prospect being that I went to TTU a few years before he got there. And, while Green is definitely above Blackmon as a prospect, I don't know if I would rank Jones above him. They are pretty comparable IMO.

stlouisfan37
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I think that Blackmon is a perfect example of a player whose stock will be determined by what he runs. If he runs in the low 4.4's then all of a sudden he will become a top 5 commodity. If he runs a 4.58 then he falls like a wet dishrag.

RaiderNation
12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Blackmons a top 10 prospect in this draft no matter how he tests IMO, and will be the 1st WR off the board as well. There are a decent amount of teams that could use a WR like him to upgrade the offense.

Flyboy
12-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Blackmons a top 10 prospect in this draft no matter how he tests IMO, and will be the 1st WR off the board as well. There are a decent amount of teams that could use a WR like him to upgrade the offense.

Jacksonville Jaguars instantly comes to mind.

Although, I don't know who will get him the ball... MJD?

bigbuc
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
It's interesting, of the various comparisons to Blackmon people are trotting out in this thread (T.O., Roddy White, Nicks, etc.), I personally wouldn't take any of those guys in the top 5 either.

I'm sorry was this a joke? You wouldn't take those WR's in the top 5 of drafts they were in? May I ask why?

FUNBUNCHER
12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry was this a joke? You wouldn't take those WR's in the top 5 of drafts they were in? May I ask why?

I think he would take them in the first round, but just not among the top 5 picks.

I mean if you knew T.O. was going to be T.O., in hindsight yeah you'd take him top 5.

But none of these guys had anything about their game that would rate them elite WR prospects coming out in their draft years.

katnip
12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm young.. But is Blackmon similiar to the Jags great WR Jimmy Smith (I think that was his name)

I think Smith wasn't the biggest or smallest.. And wasn't ever considered blazing fast

DraftSavant
12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm young.. But is Blackmon similiar to the Jags great WR Jimmy Smith (I think that was his name)

I think Smith wasn't the biggest or smallest.. And wasn't ever considered blazing fast

Jimmy Smith was one of the fastest players in the NFL in his prime. His entire game was built on speed. Every route stem looked like he was setting up a 9 route.

FUNBUNCHER
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Jimmy Smith was one of the fastest players in the NFL in his prime. His entire game was built on speed. Every route stem looked like he was setting up a 9 route.

Yeah I was just thinking that Jimmy Smith was the most physically talented WR on the Cowboys roster when he was drafted before they won their first SB with the Triplets, but his coke problem ended his career in big D.
Smith ran like a 4.3 at close to 6'2 and 210#.

He put together a borderline HOF career in Jacksonville.

I just don't think Blackmon is the same type of pure athlete that Jimmy Smith was, but I do believe Blackmon looks to have at this stage better technical WR skills.

DraftSavant
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah I was just thinking that Jimmy Smith was the most physically talented WR on the Cowboys roster when he was drafted before they won their first SB with the Triplets, but his coke problem ended his career in big D.
Smith ran like a 4.3 at close to 6'2 and 210#.

He put together a borderline HOF career in Jacksonville.

I just don't think Blackmon is the same type of pure athlete that Jimmy Smith was, but I do believe Blackmon looks to have at this stage better technical WR skills.

I don't think he started ******* around with coke until he made it big-time in Jacksonville. In Dallas, he missed his rookie year with a broken leg and his second year with an appendectomy that almost killed him. He had a fallout with Jerruh (who didn't want to pay him for that season because it was a non-football related injury), bounced around a few teams, and eventually made it on to the Jags' expansion roster.

The closest comparison to Jimmy Smith right now is his namesake on the Ravens - Torrey Smith. Torrey can be that kind of player if he keeps working on the "craft" of being a WR. Alas, a lot of fans now only remember the end-of-Brunell-era/Leftwich-era Smith. Crazy how high his YPC stayed even when he had lost most of his speed.

Also, I think it needs to be appreciated how ******* good Tom Coughlin is at finding and developing wide receivers. Smith, McCardell (who was also found off the scrap heap and was damn good in his own right), Nicks, Steve Smith, Cruz, even Plaxico was much better in NY than he ever was in Pittsburgh (maybe not statistically, but in terms of consistency and RZ effectiveness, he got much better in NY). Giants fans knock Coughlin's incredibly complex system, but dude knows how to make good WRs.

norcalgsr
12-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Is Nicks even the best WR on his own team? How about Victor Cruz as a comp for Blackmon? Cruz is a beast physically and has awesome route fakes, incredible after catch ability, but hands aren't ways the best.

How about James Jones or Pierre Garcon?

PossibleCabbage
12-31-2011, 05:28 PM

Well, with perfect hindsight:

T.O. doesn't get in the top 5 because he's a locker room cancer, no matter how good he is.

White and Nicks don't go in the top 5 because, while they're good players, they're not good enough to merit top 5 picks... since very few Wide Receivers merit this in my estimation due to their minimal impact on football games based on how rarely they touch the ball (Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald? Yeah... pretty much every other WR in the NFL? No.)

Dallas357
12-31-2011, 05:33 PM

The hell are you talking about

Mccardell was never fast, 4.7 guy. But ran incredible routes so he got open often.

A Perfect Score
12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
There is no ******* way you don't draft a Hakeem Nicks or Roddy White in the Top 5 if you know that's what they're going to turn into. Both of those guys are elite WR's in the NFL. Anyone who says otherwise is just ******* dumb.

PossibleCabbage
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
There is no ******* way you don't draft a Hakeem Nicks or Roddy White in the Top 5 if you know that's what they're going to turn into. Both of those guys are elite WR's in the NFL. Anyone who says otherwise is just ******* dumb.

I don't think "elite WRs" are worth top 5 picks, as a rule.

Only the very, very special WR prospects should be taken that high, IMO.

It's a positional value thing. The same way others will say "don't take a CB #1" or "don't take a safety in the top 5" unless he's an extremely rare prospect, I say "don't take a WR in the top 5 unless he's an extremely rare prospect." The "eliteness" (and "elite" is a pretty meaningless word by now) of White and Nicks just doesn't merit a top 5 pick for me, maybe if they take it to another level and become first ballot hall of famers, but thus far: no.

So no, I would not take Nicks or Roddy White (or Wes Welker, or Steve Smith, or Mike Wallace, or Brandon Marshall, or Greg Jennings, or Vincent Jackson, or Dwayne Bowe, or A.J. Green, et cetera ad nauseum) in the top 5 even if I knew what sort of player they would become.

A Perfect Score
12-31-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't think "elite WRs" are worth top 5 picks, as a rule.

Only the very, very special WR prospects should be taken that high, IMO.

It's a positional value thing. The same way others will say "don't take a CB #1" or "don't take a safety in the top 5" unless he's an extremely rare prospect, I say "don't take a WR in the top 5 unless he's an extremely rare prospect." The "eliteness" (and "elite" is a pretty meaningless word by now) of White and Nicks just doesn't merit a top 5 pick for me, maybe if they take it to another level and become first ballot hall of famers, but thus far: no.

So no, I would not take Nicks or Roddy White (or Wes Welker, or Steve Smith, or Mike Wallace, or Brandon Marshall, or Greg Jennings, or Vincent Jackson, or Dwayne Bowe, or A.J. Green, et cetera ad nauseum) in the top 5 even if I knew what sort of player they would become.

Then I absolutely pray you are never left in charge of an NFL franchise. You draft elite players, period. You can ***** and whine about position value all you want, but while you're reaching for second round LT's or fringe first round QBs, I'll keep drafting the elite players at those meaningless positions and eventually, the talent will match up with the needs. It's why the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots are consistently good; they draft for talent, not for position.

PossibleCabbage
12-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Then I absolutely pray you are never left in charge of an NFL franchise. You draft elite players, period. You can ***** and whine about position value all you want, but while you're reaching for second round LT's or fringe first round QBs, I'll keep drafting the elite players at those meaningless positions and eventually, the talent will match up with the needs. It's why the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots are consistently good; they draft for talent, not for position.

Believe me, I'm as hardline as BPA as they come, but "Best" is evaluated in terms of "how much does this player improve my football team" and since WRs rarely directly influence more than a dozen or so plays in a game, their ability to make an impact is significantly less than many other positions. Given prospects of equal grade, I would take virtually all positions above WRs because WRs matter on fewer plays than quarterbacks, pass rushers, defensive tackles, offensive tackles, etc. "Best" isn't quantified as relative to objective rankings, best is simply evaluated on "who helps you most" and I sincerely believe that any team bad enough to be picking in the top 5 can be easily helped more by a non-WR position than by all but the most freakish of WR prospects (but honestly, Calvin Johnson didn't turn around Detroit by himself, it took Stafford and Suh too.)

A WR has to actually be graded above a player at a different position (on a horizontal draft board) before I'd take the WR over the other guy.

Plus it's not as though you need to spend high picks on receivers to have an exceptional receiving corps. Green Bay trots out three second round picks, a third round pick, and a seventh round pick and are widely touted as "the best receiver group in the league."

All that being said, there are very few drafts that, either in advance or in retrospect I would consider a wide receiver to be among the five best prospects. Taking a WR in the top 5 is very much a "reaching for a position" thing IMO.

norcalgsr
12-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't consider White, elite. He leads the league in drops. Of course, he gets a ton of targets. Still, that's just too much.

ellsy82
01-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Honestly, IMO, its just a weak year. Blackmon represents a top 5 talent, because there's not as much talent as in previous years. Last year and a few years previous...it was pretty top heavy. This year its just...meh.

Flyboy
01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Although, I know one game isn't going to change anyone's opinion but the guy is totally trying to will OSU to a Fiesta Bowl victory tonight.

ellsy82
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Although, I know one game isn't going to change anyone's opinion but the guy is totally trying to will OSU to a Fiesta Bowl victory tonight.

I'm watching. He's like a one-man wrecking crew out there.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
This guy reminds me alot of Victor Cruz.

The way he plays, he's physical and deceptively fast, and has great hands.

ChiFan24
01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
This guy reminds me alot of Victor Cruz.

The way he plays, he's physical and deceptively fast, and has great hands.

Wrong Giants' receiver.

JBCX
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Wrong Giants' receiver.

Hakeem Nicks isn't deceptively fast. He's just big and physical.

Blackmon moves exactly like Cruz, and sells his routes in the same way to perfectly set up the DBs.

TACKLE
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
This first half has been a microcosm of Blackmon's career: Big TD where he was wide open, a TD off a short pass where he broke a tackle and turned it into a long TD and a frustrating drop on an in-breaking route.

Wrathman
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM

Deceptively big and physical.

armageddon
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Blackmon reminds me a lot of Boldin

GoBroncos
01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Blackmon had a huge game in his bowl game.

Very impressed with him.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
i gotta be honest

i like that he had the swag to declare in the post game interview

Complex
01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
A faster Boldin.

ChiFan24
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Is there any game tape of Blackmon actually being covered by somebody? I would love to finalize my opinion of the guy, but the entire Big 12, and apparently Stanford's DB's are too ****** for me to do so.

TACKLE
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
I see a little smaller, little slower TO. The way he moves, the way he runs and the way he catches the ball just looks so similar to me.

Babylon
01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Is there any game tape of Blackmon actually being covered by somebody? I would love to finalize my opinion of the guy, but the entire Big 12, and apparently Stanford's DB's are too ****** for me to do so.

He had about 150 yds against a great Nebraska defense last year (2010).

He looks legit to me, sort of reminds me of a young Terrell Owens.

norcalgsr
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Blackmon moves exactly like Cruz, and sells his routes in the same way to perfectly set up the DBs.

Totally agree.

soybean
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM

well was dez really covered well by anyone either?

A Perfect Score
01-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Good to see another guy I've defended so far show up big in his Bowl game. I still think he's going to be a stud in the NFL.

gpngc
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
I understand some of the skepticism about Blackmon's NFL prospects but I think part of it comes from the fact that last year Jones and Green were incredible prospects with top-5 NFL WR potential (and both have shown that in their rookie seasons).

Blackmon isn't quite Jones or Green, but there's a lot to like about his game. For a physical, strong, Boldinish-yac-seeker, he's VERY quick. That's much more important for NFL WRs than straight-line speed. His hands are good, he seems like someone who loves the game, there's just a lot to like when you watch him on film. One simple rule I've learned scouting - playmakers will make plays. And some guys are just playmakers. Usually guys who bust or don't live up to draft hype didn't really earn the playmaker label in college (Michael Clayton, DHB, generally receivers who didn't put up consistent stats). Then there are guys that just have that knack for getting open, gaining yards, making big catches, and finding the end zone. Players like that don't change (Harvin, DJax, Julio, Cruz in preseason '10).

And comparing him to Crabtree shouldn't be a negative at all. Crabtree has been nothing but great when healthy (and this year he's developed into a quality #1 in a terrible situation to put up #s).

Caulibflower
01-03-2012, 12:57 AM
I understand some of the skepticism about Blackmon's NFL prospects but I think part of it comes from the fact that last year Jones and Green were incredible prospects with top-5 NFL WR potential (and both have shown that in their rookie seasons).

Blackmon isn't quite Jones or Green, but there's a lot to like about his game. For a physical, strong, Boldinish-yac-seeker, he's VERY quick. That's much more important for NFL WRs than straight-line speed. His hands are good, he seems like someone who loves the game, there's just a lot to like when you watch him on film. One simple rule I've learned scouting - playmakers will make plays. And some guys are just playmakers. Usually guys who bust or don't live up to draft hype didn't really earn the playmaker label in college (Michael Clayton, DHB, generally receivers who didn't put up consistent stats). Then there are guys that just have that knack for getting open, gaining yards, making big catches, and finding the end zone. Players like that don't change (Harvin, DJax, Julio, Cruz in preseason '10).

And comparing him to Crabtree shouldn't be a negative at all. Crabtree has been nothing but great when healthy (and this year he's developed into a quality #1 in a terrible situation to put up #s).

I was thinking Boldin while watching him today, too. A faster, leaner, sleeker Boldin.

ellsy82
01-03-2012, 01:28 AM
He actually reminds me of Roddy White. *shrugs*

Bobertchin
01-03-2012, 08:49 AM
All of the potential first round WRs in this upcoming draft would benefit from having another good/great WR on their team. I think they'll be great complements to an existing number 1. Hakeem Nicks is a good comparison for Blackmon, but Blackmon's production will likely land him in the top 15, anyway.

the_dark_knight
01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Wes Bunting recently wrote a piece about Blackmon guessing he would time around 4.6, and after watching him play, I believe it. Blackmon creates separation because he's very technical and runs crisp patterns. He doesn not have 4.4 speed. That makes you the idiot.

And Floyd is a better player after the catch, better jump bal threat, better hands. He'd easily be my pick before Blackmon, especially considering Blackmon's stats are inflated due to okie's scheme.

You're so foolish dude. So foolish.

He's the next Dez Bryant / Julio Jones. In terms of he's the next big impact physical WR, where as Green would be in a different category of not being a big physical guy, but more of a gazelle.

Just because a WR doesn't run a 4.39 like Julio did, doesn't mean he can't have immense success in the NFL. There have been plenty of good WRs who didn't run well in the 40, thankfully the game of football isn't simply a track meet, otherwise the Raiders would win every game.

Given the fact that Blackmon gets separation by running good routes and being technical should be everything you want in a WR in the NFL. That's how Welker dominates, he just sets up DBs. Much like the 4th and 5 play that Blackmon was running the slant route and ended up breaking tackles and making a big play of it. He didn't just run a Slant, he ran the DB off thinking it was some sort of out route by forcing him to play his outside, came back in and made a big target for his QB to hit and that's what you want from a WR.

I don't care what he runs, but I'm going to guess in the 4.50-4.65 range. People run differently on different surfaces and it seems lately to me that the Indianapolis field has been much slower than the old dome on the 40s. Everyone seems to lose about .1-.2 on that field vs what they were running before in Indy.

Regardless of everything else, all I need to know is watching the kid play he shows that he's going to be everything someone wants in the NFL if he keeps up that work ethic. If he falls out of the top 10 it will be a travesty. High character, high caliber player, and it looks like he's a hard worker too. If I were Indianapolis and I could trade down to #5 he'd be my target. If I'm St. Louis I'm strongly considering him at #2. I mean they have Lloyd now, but they still could use a 2nd threat out there, and he'd make for a long long time fit with Bradford, much like Julio does for the Matt Ryan. They already had Roddy a Pro Bowl top 5 WR, they added Julio and there were growing pains this season, but now that offense seems to be coming together (although inconsistent) and that's what St. Louis could have, in an offense where they're already pass happy, and comfortable with it.

bucfan12
01-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Dez Bryant, but better, faster, stronger, and more mature. Kid's gonna make an immidiate impact whereever he lands and this game probably locked him with Minney or St Louis.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Holt and Bruce did pretty well for not being burners. They led the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. 500+ points 3 straight years and have a name dedicated to it. Why ? Because they ran crisp routes and were open all day long, not because they were burners.

Miaoww
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Why would St Louis or Minnesota take him over a stud LT?

armageddon
01-03-2012, 11:48 AM

That's the big debate in St.Louis. Some feel a #1 type WR will cause the blockers to not have to block as long and have less coverage sacks, and some feel a better line will help the receivers get open.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Some feel that he's only 295 lbs and isn't a sure thing. The Rams were burned once on a LT at the #2 pick a few years ago so some are reluctant.

I think you can't wrong with either Kalil or Blackmon.

FUNBUNCHER
01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Holt and Bruce did pretty well for not being burners. They led the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. 500+ points 3 straight years and have a name dedicated to it. Why ? Because they ran crisp routes and were open all day long, not because they were burners.
Um, Holt in his prime and Bruce during the Rams SB run were burners.
Yes they were great route runners as well, but if those guys ever caught the ball in stride, it was six points from almost anywhere on the field.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Yes they were great route runners as well, but if those guys ever caught the ball in stride, it was six points from almost anywhere on the field.

So far in this thread, Blackmon has been compared to Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, and Jimmy and Torrey Smith.

What. The. ****. Guys.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM

They were far from burners. Blackmon out ran defenders last night too. Is he a burner ?

armageddon
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
So far in this thread, Blackmon has been compared to Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, and Jimmy and Torrey Smith.

What. The. ****. Guys.

Nobody compared Blackmon to Holt and Bruce. I was stating that they weren't considered burners, just like Blackmon isn't considered one. Fitzgerald, AJ, Calvin, Boldin, TO are all not considered burners either. That was my point.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
It should be noted for Kalil sake that the Rams also had HoF LT Pace all those years making life easy for Warner, Faulk, Holt and Bruce.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
It should be noted for Kalil sake that the Rams also had HoF LT Pace all those years making life easy for Warner, Faulk, Holt and Bruce.

+1000. I would have a hard time passing him up. Then moving Saffold to RT makes 2 spots on the o-line better.

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Holt ran a 4.38 at the combine. Bruce was incredibly fast in his prime (and was a perennial Pro Bowler even before the Greatest Show on Turf). Andre and Calvin both ran 4.3s at ridiculous sizes. They're all burners.

Even TO, who was a high 4.5 guy coming out, played incredibly fast in the open field and had some ridiculous build-up speed.

Fitzgerald and Boldin aren't. He's doesn't really share any similarities to Fitzgerald, either, though. Very much like Boldin, though.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
To my eye, Blackmon looks like a 4.50-4.55 guy. Which is enough for him to be a good WR, but not anywhere near enough to convince me he's a stud prospect the Rams should take at #2

SRogers92
01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
To my eye, Blackmon looks like a 4.50-4.55 guy. Which is enough for him to be a good WR, but not anywhere near enough to convince me he's a stud prospect the Rams should take at #2

Put your glasses on then. This guy's deceptively fast and much faster than Anquan Boldin. He'll run in the 4.42-4.45 range and with his size and physical presence, that's crazy. He'll go top 5 and rightfully so.

I'm a big Blackmon guy though. I'd take him over any WR since Calvin. He doesn't have elite height like a Calvin or Julio Jones, but -- he does everything really damn good and just always gets open and dominates. He has everything I would want in a WR.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Holt ran a 4.38 at the combine. Bruce was incredibly fast in his prime (and was a perennial Pro Bowler even before the Greatest Show on Turf). Andre and Calvin both ran 4.3s at ridiculous sizes. They're all burners.

Even TO, who was a high 4.5 guy coming out, played incredibly fast in the open field and had some ridiculous build-up speed.

Fitzgerald and Boldin aren't. He's doesn't really share any similarities to Fitzgerald, either, though. Very much like Boldin, though.

Holt ran a 4.44 after the sr bowl.

JRTPlaya21
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Love Blackmon but I def would not draft him over AJ or Julio.

Spaceboy1
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
AJ and Calvin arent burners??? There goes your credibility.

JBCX
01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
IF Blackmon runs a sub 4.5 40 then he's a lock for top 5, imho.

But if his 40 is over 4.5 sec then he might slip out of the top 5 and even the top 10.

4U2NV
01-03-2012, 03:36 PM
This was my post from last night in the gameday thread about Blackmon:

What I like about Blackmon is that he's not full of himself like other top WR prospects sometimes are. That story about the girl suffering from cancer says a lot about Blackmon's character which I think is an important part of a highly touted prospect. He also seems like a hard worker from all acounts which will benefit him when he goes pro and has to learn and be coached. On the field he's a tackle breaking machine, sure there was a lot of open field in front of him on those TDs but he still needed to come down with the ball and then fight for that open field. I love his "MY BALL!" mentality. He might not have the best timed speed but his physical abilities, work ethic, character and willingness to play through pain and play well all bode well for him in the NFL.

the_dark_knight
01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
This was my post from last night in the gameday thread about Blackmon:

+++++

This is exactly it. The NFL is evolving, and those top WRs who are divas are having a harder time adjusting to the NFL because they're not embraced by their team, and they lack that tenacity in their work ethic to really stick.

Just look at last year, A.J. Green, not at all a diva, but one heck of a WR, blew it up in his rookie season. Julio Jones, not at all a diva, reached out to give back to his community after being hit by the tornado, by not only getting UA to donate a ton of clothes, but being there himself to pass them out. Balled out of control and adored by his teammates, including Roddy White.

Now, on the other hand, you've got KC's crown jewel getting in fights in the preseason, breaking his hand, and missing entirely too much time, on top of his brackish attitude that alienated him from his teammates. That's what I'm talkin about, it's night and day.

The last 'diva' to do well out the gates that I remember is Jackson. But he fell, and fell, and fell. It gave him the chip on his shoulder he needed to go with his diva attitude. So he didn't lose the attitude, but he gained the work ethic.

That's why I love Blackmon as a WR prospect, and if I could the Falcons didn't have Roddy and Julio I'd be clamoring for him in Atlanta. I don't think there are many teams in the NFL that wouldn't gain a lot from having that guy on their team.

PossibleCabbage
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Over the past 20 drafts that had a WR taken in round one (so 1991-2011 excepting 2008), the mean draft position of the top WR was 8.25, and the median draft position was 6.5.

Blackmon, IMO, is pretty much just an average WR among the class of "guys who will be the top WR taken" so I think the appropriate draft position for Blackmon is in the 6-9 range. I just can't see him as a guy who is worthy of a top 5 pick, and if he is taken that high it's because this draft is seriously bereft of elite talent.

armageddon
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
AJ and Calvin arent burners??? There goes your credibility.

You think they are burners currently ? I am not talking about in their college days, I am talking currently ? I don't see either one of them running under a 4.44 right now. Maybe I am labeling the term burner wrong. When I think of a burner, I am thinking of DeSean Jackson, Torrey Smith, Mike Wallace, Julio Jones. I may be totally off track too.

Saints-Tigers
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Calvin is faster than Julio. In someone else's shoes.

A Perfect Score
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Blackmon might not have the long speed of Julio, but his short area quickness is phenomenal. It contributes greatly to the crisp routes he runs and I think it's being undersold as a physical attribute that will help him enormously at the next level.

norcalgsr
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
You think they are burners currently ? I am not talking about in their college days, I am talking currently ? I don't see either one of them running under a 4.44 right now. Maybe I am labeling the term burner wrong. When I think of a burner, I am thinking of DeSean Jackson, Torrey Smith, Mike Wallace, Julio Jones. I may be totally off track too.

You don't believe Calvin Johnson runs a 4.44 right now? Is that serious statement?

DraftSavant
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Blackmon might not have the long speed of Julio, but his short area quickness is phenomenal. It contributes greatly to the crisp routes he runs and I think it's being undersold as a physical attribute that will help him enormously at the next level.

I would agree with this. He also has a very powerful lower body, and that will help escaping the jam in the NFL.

Escaping the jam is for WRs as to pocket toughness is for QBs. Most guys aren't asked to be good at it, the offensive systems in college try to camouflage it, and it's incredibly tough to project to the next level.

I think he's a bit more raw than people assume, as that offense (and the defenses he faces) give him a free release and plenty of grass to frollick about, but I certainly think he's got the ability to consistently beat jams in the NFL.

I've been "down" on him I guess in the sense that he's not a top 5 talent, but 7-10 is probably appropriate in this class. The dangerous part is that while there's not a lot of elite talent at the top of this class, there's a ton of talented WRs that will be littered throughout the first three days. It's always a question of value with WRs, and if I take a guy that high, he literally needs to be matchup-proof.

Bulldogs
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Julio Jones ran a 4.39 on a sprained/broken foot. People here really underestimated how his speed would translate to the NFL.

As for Blackmon, I know it's been said, but I see a faster Anquan Boldin. People forget how good Boldin was his first three years in the NFL, he was the fastest to ever get to 300 catches or whatever it was, and an absolute mismatch for DB's to take down.

norcalgsr
01-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't understand why he's constantly being compared to Boldin, instead of James Jones who's a bit faster. I remember when James Jones entered the NFL ,he was also drawing comparisons to Boldin. Jones ran a 4.54 at the combine and is among the league leaders in YAC (yards after catch).

jsagan77
01-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I see a shorter Dez Bryant. So basically a long striding Hakeem Nicks. No way is that a bad thing but he should not be a top 5 pick this spring.

RaiderNation
01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I've been saying he is a mix between Boldin and Nicks for a while now, and I can't wait to see him play in the NFL. He is a lock top 10 pick, with teams like Minnesota, Jacksonville and Carolina needing a #1 WR.

bigbuc
01-03-2012, 06:27 PM
If he goes to Carolina I'll cry...

ChiFan24
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM

You're dumb bro.

Docta
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Nicks might have just helped Blackmon's stock. Nicks still has better hands though.

Mitchell
01-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Give me one reason other than him being 6'1, that suggests Blackmon doesn't remind you of a young Terrel Owens. This guy is an absolute beast, and anybody doubting him is just looking to nitpick. He's as sure of a thing as you'll see in any draft that doesn't have Calvin Johnson.

ellsy82
01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Nicks might have just helped Blackmon's stock. Nicks still has better hands though.

LOL. Whatever.

ChiFan24
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Give me one reason other than him being 6'1, that suggests Blackmon doesn't remind you of a young Terrel Owens. This guy is an absolute beast, and anybody doubting him is just looking to nitpick. He's as sure of a thing as you'll see in any draft that doesn't have Calvin Johnson.

There's nothing nitpicky about it. The guy never gets covered by anything resembling a defense so it's an enormous projection. It's a legitimate question to ask if he's worth a top 10 pick.

Mitchell
01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
There's nothing nitpicky about it. The guy never gets covered by anything resembling a defense so it's an enormous projection. It's a legitimate question to ask if he's worth a top 10 pick.
You're nitpicking.

Iamcanadian
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Until he runs at the combine and posts in the 4.46-4.50 range, he is going to get taken over the coals. Once he runs a solid 40, all the criticism will disappear.
He is eerily simular to Terrell Owens with his combination of size, strength and athleticism which overwhelms defenders. He is a playmaker as well, which strongly suggests the chance to be a very solid #1 receiver.
I've heard that his coaches say he is far more advanced in his skills than Dez Bryant is at a simular stage.

norcalgsr
01-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Koren Robinson.

FUNBUNCHER
01-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Isn't Robinson out of the league because of alcoholism?

Similar athletes, but Blackmon IMO is a better prospect.

A Perfect Score
01-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Go put on his tape against Nebraska last year, where he has his way with Prince Amukamara on several occasions.

DrAbaddon
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Until he runs at the combine and posts in the 4.46-4.50 range, he is going to get taken over the coals. Once he runs a solid 40, all the criticism will disappear.
He is eerily simular to Terrell Owens with his combination of size, strength and athleticism which overwhelms defenders. He is a playmaker as well, which strongly suggests the chance to be a very solid #1 receiver.
I've heard that his coaches say he is far more advanced in his skills than Dez Bryant is at a simular stage.

Outside of being slower, smaller, and more apathetic in his route-running than TO, he is eerily similar.

OSU has taken every opportunity to take shots at Dez, this is just an extension of that.

bigbluedefense
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Replace "Blackmon" with "Julio Jones" and you basically had this exact thread last year around this time.

SRogers92
01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Replace "Blackmon" with "Julio Jones" and you basically had this exact thread last year around this time.

Pretty much. These arm-chair, know-it-all scouts here know a lot less than what they think. The criticisms I'm reading in this thread about Blackmon are laughable - quite honestly.

This guy plays similar to Hakeem Nicks but, is a much better prospect than him.

- Hakeem Nicks showed up to the NFL combine at 6-1, 212lbs, and ran a 40 in 4.57 seconds. Very underwhelming. I would be willing to bet anybody that Blackmon will show up larger than 212lbs and will run faster than a 4.57. Nicks than showed up to his pro day at 226bs and ran a 4.43 short shuttle, again, very bleh numbers.

Blackmon is a more athletic, more refined(at this age) Hakeem Nicks and that's definitely a top 5 pick type of player. Especially in today's NFL where you can't guard anybody without a flag being called.

bigbluedefense
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Pretty much. These arm-chair, know-it-all scouts here know a lot less than what they think. The criticisms I'm reading in this thread about Blackmon are laughable - quite honestly.

This guy plays similar to Hakeem Nicks but, is a much better prospect than him.

- Hakeem Nicks showed up to the NFL combine at 6-1, 212lbs, and ran a 40 in 4.57 seconds. Very underwhelming. I would be willing to bet anybody that Blackmon will show up larger than 212lbs and will run faster than a 4.57. Nicks than showed up to his pro day at 226bs and ran a 4.43 short shuttle, again, very bleh numbers.

Blackmon is a more athletic, more refined(at this age) Hakeem Nicks and that's definitely a top 5 pick type of player. Especially in today's NFL where you can't guard anybody without a flag being called.

I agree. I LOVE Blackmon. My favorite WR prospect in this draft (for now). I was a huge Nicks fan coming out and like you said, Blackmon is pretty much a bigger stronger faster version of Nicks.

What's not to like?

DraftSavant
01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't say that Blackmon was more refined than Nicks, as Nicks was running an NFL-style route tree in that UNC offense. We saw him having to face and beat man/press coverage quite often in college - something that the Dana Holgersen offenses rarely have to face. The majority of Blackmon's tape is him running slants and drags through wide open zone spaces, breaking a tackle underneath, and running. That's not to say he isn't good or anything, but it's tough to project something you haven't really seen someone do. It's the same problem that comes with evaluating QBs in that type offense.

IMO, a big part of what made/makes Nicks special is those ridiculously big and strong hands. Wouldn't be surprised if his mitts measured out to be the biggest in the league at WR.

SRogers92
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't say that Blackmon was more refined than Nicks, as Nicks was running an NFL-style route tree in that UNC offense. We saw him having to face and beat man/press coverage quite often in college - something that the Dana Holgersen offenses rarely have to face. The majority of Blackmon's tape is him running slants and drags through wide open zone spaces, breaking a tackle underneath, and running. That's not to say he isn't good or anything, but it's tough to project something you haven't really seen someone do. It's the same problem that comes with evaluating QBs in that type offense.

IMO, a big part of what made/makes Nicks special is those ridiculously big and strong hands. Wouldn't be surprised if his mitts measured out to be the biggest in the league at WR.

I'm not sure about you but, when I went back and watched the tape on Blackmon(whatever I could find on him from past season and the 3 OK State games I watched) you saw Blackmon run slants, drags, fly routes, post routes, curl routes, and pretty much everything in between. The only two I didn't see was a deep out route or a deep comeback route and that's more or less because Weeden doesn't have a cannon arm.

gpngc
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Koren Robinson.

That's actually a fair prospect comparison but Blackmon has better hands and Robinson was an idiot. You never know how a guy is going to work at the pro level and Robinson's downfall was always his inability to be a real professional. Blackmon strikes me as the type of player who will work on his craft but you never know.

ChiFan24
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
You're nitpicking.

I mean....would you argue with my claim that he never gets covered? Because I don't think he does, and if I'm right about that, that's not a nitpick. The Nebraska tape is very, very good, but I would have liked to see more of that in his career. He makes a ton of plays but he seems to be wide open pretty often, and not entirely because of his route running ability.

I definitely consider him a Hakeem Nicks type prospect. I'm just saying that there's valid criticism. Big 12 receivers are very hard to project.

ChiFan24
01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Also, I think the Koren Robinson receiver is a very good one. Maybe the best I've heard from a skill set standpoint. Koren was a pro bowl caliber receiver at points in his career and was mainly dragged down by off the field stuff.

SRogers92
01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I mean....would you argue with my claim that he never gets covered? Because I don't think he does, and if I'm right about that, that's not a nitpick. The Nebraska tape is very, very good, but I would have liked to see more of that in his career. He makes a ton of plays but he seems to be wide open pretty often, and not entirely because of his route running ability.

I definitely consider him a Hakeem Nicks type prospect. I'm just saying that there's valid criticism. Big 12 receivers are very hard to project.

So, you're admitting he's 1 for 1 than? He's batting 1.000 ... what more could you want? No, but seriously -- when you look at a prospect, you obviously want to view them as how they did against the best teams they played. Going back two seasons ago:

Vs. Nebraska(5th ranked national pass D) -- 5 catches, 157 yards, 2 TDs
@ Texas(8th ranked pass D) -- 9 catches, 145 yards, 1 TD
Vs. Oklahoma(80th ranked pass D) -- 8 catches, 105 yards, 1 TD

@Texas(47th ranked pass D) -- 7 catches, 74 yards, 1 TD
Vs. Oklahoma(81st ranked pass D) -- 10 catches, 95 yards, 0 TD
Vs. Stanford(78th ranked pass D) -- 8 catches, 186 yards, 3 TD

He's torched great D's as shown in 2010 and he beats bad D's as he has proven all of his career. What more do you want from the guy? It's not like he's been playing with an All-Star surrounding cast, either, he has been "the guy" at Ok. State and still beasts.

DrAbaddon
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Hakeem Nicks showed up to the NFL combine at 6-1, 212lbs, and ran a 40 in 4.57 seconds. Very underwhelming. I would be willing to bet anybody that Blackmon will show up larger than 212lbs and will run faster than a 4.57.

As an OSU student who has seen him up close a few times and play live half a dozen times...I'll take the bet, it's a 50/50 proposition. He's no taller than 6'1", and MAY weigh a little bit more (hard to gauge, but he's around 215 in shape) and it seems like he'll run in the mid 4.5s, but who knows? He may time faster than he plays. Julio Jones did it.

Also, I believe Nicks ran a 4.51, not a 4.57...

TT Gator
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM

I actually agree that Michael Floyd is a better WR then him when it comes to just play on the field but because of Floyd's off the field issues and history with injuries it makes sense that people have him ranked behind Blackmon. I do think Blackmon is a tad overrated but he does have everything NFL teams tend to look for in a NFL WR.

SRogers92
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
As an OSU student who has seen him up close a few times and play live half a dozen times...I'll take the bet, it's a 50/50 proposition. He's no taller than 6'1", and MAY weigh a little bit more (hard to gauge, but he's around 215 in shape) and it seems like he'll run in the mid 4.5s, but who knows? He may time faster than he plays. Julio Jones did it.

Also, I believe Nicks ran a 4.51, not a 4.57...

Than you are wrong.

http://www.mattrauch.com/2009-nfl-combine-results.php

Don't forget our bet.

DrAbaddon
01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
[/URL]Than you are wrong.

[url]http://www.mattrauch.com/2009-nfl-combine-results.php (http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Hakeem&l=Nicks&i=8313)

Don't forget our bet.

I guess
(4.51)
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117392

it depends
(4.49)
http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021909aaa.html

on where
(4.51)
http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Hakeem&l=Nicks&i=8313

you look...
(4.49)
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1841

PrimetimeTheDon
01-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Owens was 4.35ish in his prime. Owens was raw. It sucks that his mouth and asshole mentality has diminished his reputation as a texas chainsaw massacre on the football field.

Talent wise he is a 1st ballot HOF lock city lock.

DrAbaddon
02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
- Hakeem Nicks showed up to the NFL combine at 6-1, 212lbs, I would be willing to bet anybody that Blackmon will show up larger than 212lbs.

Don't forget our bet.

I didn't, first part goes to me. Too bad he isn't running.

diemertsdawgs
02-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Man I wish I had those "brutal hands" when I played. Those brutal hands did a lot of catching the ball for yardage and touchdowns. Blackmon is the top rated WR in this draft. I believe he will be a very productive player in the NFL for years to come.

descendency
02-25-2012, 01:26 AM
I didn't, first part goes to me. Too bad he isn't running.

If he doesn't run, then teams will rank him as 4.6-4.7 guy. He'd be wise to run if he could put up a monster 10 yard split... because his stock is going to fall now that he's a 6007 guy with below average vertical speed.

Just for the record, I have been on Michael Floyd's bandwagon since his sophomore year.

1. Michael Floyd
2. Kendall Wright
3. Justin Blackmon
4. Alshon Jeffery (if Jeffery can blaze at the combine and looks in shape, I'd swap his spot with Blackmons)
5. Rueben Randle

batsandgats
02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
who was that 6'1 208 pound receiver that won the Biletnikoff award, speed around 4.58-4.6....1500 yards receiving in the pac 10, great at outjumping/outmuscling dbs and getting yards after the catch? Had to be about 5 to 6 years ago.....

BRAVEHEART
02-26-2012, 09:23 PM
who was that 6'1 208 pound receiver that won the Biletnikoff award, speed around 4.58-4.6....1500 yards receiving in the pac 10, great at outjumping/outmuscling dbs and getting yards after the catch? Had to be about 5 to 6 years ago.....

Mike Haas?

J-Mike88
02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Stop taking in stray animals.

toonsterwu
02-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't love Blackmon. I think he'll be the first WR off the board (though I think I prefer Kendall Wright), but don't love him. He's a physical receiver who has a very good lower half. You know who Blackmon reminds me of a tiny bit? Reggie Wayne. A very good receiver, a possible lead receiver, but not an elite guy.

That said, this isn't a particularly great WR class (IMO), and there are enough teams with needs. Blackmon's steady hands and strong lower half will make him enticing to some. I know there are still some rumors with the Rams hoping to move down for him (not sure I completely buy that), but you look at a team like, say, Washington, where he would fit the scheme needs, or Jacksonville, where they desperately need a steady WR to give Gabbert a chance, and I'll be a bit surprised if he falls out of the top 10.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone stormed up for him.

SRogers92
02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
We'll have to wait for his Pro Day, then. And I can guarantee you he played this year and will play in the NFL closer to 220 than 207 nonsense he showed up at. Probably dropped a ton of weight to run a fast 40.

Iamcanadian
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
This reminds me of Fitzgerald's draft year. Until Fitz put up a 4.46 40, everybody questioned his deep speed. Once Blackmon runs at his pro day, we'll find out if he is elite or not, he has everything else to be an elite WR, till then it is just a guessing game with zero facts to back up his ranking.

DrAbaddon
03-01-2012, 01:05 AM
We'll have to wait for his Pro Day, then. And I can guarantee you he played this year and will play in the NFL closer to 220 than 207 nonsense he showed up at. Probably dropped a ton of weight to run a fast 40.
Even though he decided not to run?

He's going to run well at his Pro Day though, all OSU players do, Kendall Hunter ran more than a tenth faster that at the combine. Markelle Martin didn't run either.

If you go to OSU or VT, you wait until your pro days.

Caulibflower
03-01-2012, 01:18 AM
This reminds me of Fitzpatrick's draft year. Until Fitz put up a 4.46 40, everybody questioned his deep speed. Once Blackmon runs at his pro day, we'll find out if he is elite or not, he has everything else to be an elite WR, till then it is just a guessing game with zero facts to back up his ranking.

......who?

TACKLE
03-01-2012, 02:23 AM
......who?

You've never heard of Barry Fitzpatrick, the wide returner for the Carbs?

TACKLE
03-01-2012, 02:26 AM
double post. blame my senescence.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 08:33 AM
You've never heard of Barry Fitzpatrick, the wide returner for the Carbs?

Literally laughing at loud and people are looking at me like I'm mental!

bigbluedefense
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM
So he's not tall. Big deal. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks. I still love the guy.

To be fair, I'd have to take a hard look at Floyd now though. Blackmon might not be the slamdunk #1 WR of this draft class. Floyd might have overtaken him. But you can't go wrong with Blackmon. Still love him.

SRogers92
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
So, he ran anywhere from a 4.41-4.46 depending on whom you go with. Not too shabby.

Cue the "OMG It's a PRoDayz!!" people. It's still extremely impressive. Would be interested to know what he weighed in at, too.

ron292120
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
So, he ran anywhere from a 4.41-4.46 depending on whom you go with. Not too shabby.

Cue the "OMG It's a PRoDayz!!" people. It's still extremely impressive. Would be interested to know what he weighed in at, too.

Its being reported on Rotoworld thru Sporting News that he weighed in at 215 and ran those times--up from the 207 he weighed in at the combine.

zachsaints52
03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
hahahaha I just realized it sounds like why is everyone on black mans nuts.

descendency
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM

At Oklahoma State, which basically means you can add a tenth to his time.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Blackmon just assured himself the #4 pick to Cleveland unless in desperation Cleveland reaches for Tannehill. If Cleveland takes Tannehill, Tampa Bay will now take Blackmon leaving the Rams out in the cold.

Blackmon did a Fitzgerald and is now in his class as a prospect.

zachsaints52
03-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Blackmon just assured himself the #4 pick to Cleveland unless in desperation Cleveland reaches for Tannehill. If Cleveland takes Tannehill, Tampa Bay will now take Blackmon leaving the Rams out in the cold.

What does did a Fitzgerald mean?

keylime_5
03-10-2012, 11:28 AM

disagree. I think Claiborne to Cleveland at #4 is just as likely as any other scenario. I know the Browns certainly could feel like they could get a guy just as good at #22 in either Wright or Floyd - plus Heckert seems to love getting value positions with his higher draft picks (i.e. QB/LT/CB/DE/DT instead of WR/RB/LB/S/OG). I don't even want to think about Tannehill. If we trade down to 10th or so then I won't get as sick over the idea - hopefully they sign Flynn and nip that idea in the bud. I would also rather have old man Weeden in round two than Tannehill in round one.

Personally I really hope we take Blackmon there so we can finally start getting our passing game out of the gutter. I could live with the exact same defense we fielded last year for another season, but if we go into 2012 without adding at least one big name stud WR I will puke.

H.O.O.D
03-10-2012, 11:39 AM
disagree. I think Claiborne to Cleveland at #4 is just as likely as any other scenario. I know the Browns certainly could feel like they could get a guy just as good at #22 in either Wright or Floyd - plus Heckert seems to love getting value positions with his higher draft picks (i.e. QB/LT/CB/DE/DT instead of WR/RB/LB/S/OG). I don't even want to think about Tannehill. If we trade down to 10th or so then I won't get as sick over the idea - hopefully they sign Flynn and nip that idea in the bud. I would also rather have old man Weeden in round two than Tannehill in round one.

Personally I really hope we take Blackmon there so we can finally start getting our passing game out of the gutter. I could live with the exact same defense we fielded last year for another season, but if we go into 2012 without adding at least one big name stud WR I will puke.

Cleveland could entertain the idea of trading with the Jags. Let Jacksonville come up for Blackmon or Claiborne whichever they prefer (because chances are both will be gone at 7) and Cleveland can pick from Tannehill, Coples, Ingram or Richardson if he falls there.

SenorGato
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
So he's not tall. Big deal. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks. I still love the guy.

To be fair, I'd have to take a hard look at Floyd now though. Blackmon might not be the slamdunk #1 WR of this draft class. Floyd might have overtaken him. But you can't go wrong with Blackmon. Still love him.

I think he'll be better than Floyd. No clue why...because it's not specifically the injuries and it's definitely not anything to do with his character...I can't get into Floyd as a prospect.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Don't know if it means squat but Lombardi on NFL Network predicted Tannehill to the Browns. We both need to get drunk methinks.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=keylime_5;2894258]disagree. I think Claiborne to Cleveland at #4 is just as likely as any other scenario. I know the Browns certainly could feel like they could get a guy just as good at #22 in either Wright or Floyd - plus Heckert seems to love getting value positions with his higher draft picks (i.e. QB/LT/CB/DE/DT instead of WR/RB/LB/S/OG). I don't even want to think about Tannehill. If we trade down to 10th or so then I won't get as sick over the idea - hopefully they sign Flynn and nip that idea in the bud. I would also rather have old man Weeden in round two than Tannehill in round one.

Floyd is going before #22, so is Hill, and Wright unless he redeems himself and runs a 4.35-4.45 isn't getting drafted in round 1.

binary
03-10-2012, 04:33 PM
TO was never at any point the second fastest receiver in football, not close.

He might've been. He used to smoke everyone in fastest man competitions,

toonsterwu
03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Floyd and Blackmon will likely fill slightly different roles in an offense, so it's hard to really compare them in some respects. While Blackmon can definitely run vertical/deep routes, you'll want him to run a lot of crossing routes and intermediate patterns to take advantage of his strong potential for YAC, while Floyd is probably going to be utilized more as a deep threat/big target, particularly because of his strides.

PoopSandwich
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=keylime_5;2894258]disagree. I think Claiborne to Cleveland at #4 is just as likely as any other scenario. I know the Browns certainly could feel like they could get a guy just as good at #22 in either Wright or Floyd - plus Heckert seems to love getting value positions with his higher draft picks (i.e. QB/LT/CB/DE/DT instead of WR/RB/LB/S/OG). I don't even want to think about Tannehill. If we trade down to 10th or so then I won't get as sick over the idea - hopefully they sign Flynn and nip that idea in the bud. I would also rather have old man Weeden in round two than Tannehill in round one.

Floyd is going before #22, so is Hill, and Wright unless he redeems himself and runs a 4.35-4.45 isn't getting drafted in round 1.

Wright won't make it past Cleveland at 22. He is exactly what we need at receiver and everyone knows he has game speed. Forties are overrated.

keylime_5
03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I think Wright's demise is exaggerated. Teams see him burn people on tape and play fast. They saw that he has no idea how to run a 40 yard dash with terrible, arm-flailing technique. I am certain Wright will be no worse than the 3rd WR drafted. Teams like Hill's upside and potential, but his bust factor is tremendous and he might not go higher than the 20s. In any case, there definitely will be a good WR available at 22. I don't expect more than 2 to be drafted before then.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Kendall Wright was expected by scouts and GM's to run in the 4.35-4.5 range at the slowest. He's short and not a big man and just might have gotten the benefit of playing with RG111, who might just have made him look a lot better than he really is.

4.61 for a small receiver like Wright could drop him all the way to round 3 unless by chance, he demonstrates at his pro day that his combine time was an aberration.

If he runs again at his pro day in the 4.60 range, he can forget about
round 1 and maybe round 2 as well, and if Cleveland drafts him at #22, I'll be totally sick.

SenorGato
03-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Floyd and Blackmon will likely fill slightly different roles in an offense, so it's hard to really compare them in some respects. While Blackmon can definitely run vertical/deep routes, you'll want him to run a lot of crossing routes and intermediate patterns to take advantage of his strong potential for YAC, while Floyd is probably going to be utilized more as a deep threat/big target, particularly because of his strides.

That might be it...Floyd seems like Braylon Edwards type (throw it deep) while Blackmon seems like the more well rounded WR.

PoopSandwich
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not really a huge college fan so I haven't seen many games nor have I really watched anything besides the bowl game or seen some highlight tapes... However, for some reason I feel like Blackmon reminds me of Irvin.

I don't know exactly what it is, they seem to have similar size, both physical, and both play with attitude. Not really sure if it is a great comparison or it has been made, but it's kind of how I have felt whenever I saw Blackmon in the past.

Iamcanadian
03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not really a huge college fan so I haven't seen many games nor have I really watched anything besides the bowl game or seen some highlight tapes... However, for some reason I feel like Blackmon reminds me of Irvin.

I don't know exactly what it is, they seem to have similar size, both physical, and both play with attitude. Not really sure if it is a great comparison or it has been made, but it's kind of how I have felt whenever I saw Blackmon in the past.

It is an excellent comparison except Blackmon is faster. Terrell Owens is almost a perfect match for Blackmon.

niel89
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I just don't think that Blackmon has elite physical tools that solidifies him as great WR prospect. I know WR is a place where tools don't matter as if you have good technique but I'm not sure that Blackmon has that great of upside.

It is an excellent comparison except Blackmon is faster. Terrell Owens is almost a perfect match for Blackmon.
I don't see the TO comparison. TO is 2" taller and is definitely faster by a fair amount.

gpngc
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I see a little TO in Blackmon despite the differences in HWS.

Both smooth yet somewhat violent. Physical and graceful. Awesome balance and coordination. Sometimes a lack of focus. Not the crispest routes but good acceleration.

They both just scream 'pure beast receiver' on the outside.

Vaylor
03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Hakeem Nicks is a good comparison.

GoRavens
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Justin Blackmon is great after the catch, he has fantastic hands, and he's a big powerful athletic receiver.
He reminds me of Anquan Boldin, and he'll surely go in the top 10

Bald_81
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Justin Blackmon is great after the catch, he has fantastic hands, and he's a big powerful athletic receiver.
He reminds me of Anquan Boldin, and he'll surely go in the top 10

IMO this is a huge misconception about Blackmon. People either say he has great hands or he struggles with drops. He had drops in a lot of games this year including two during his Pro Day work out. So which is it?

GoRavens
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
You're right.
He's inconsistent but he pulls off stellar acrobatic catches most of the time.
He'll drop the ocassional ball, but he can pull of insane catches in traffic so its worth it

SenorGato
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I see a little TO in Blackmon despite the differences in HWS.

Both smooth yet somewhat violent. Physical and graceful. Awesome balance and coordination. Sometimes a lack of focus. Not the crispest routes but good acceleration.

They both just scream 'pure beast receiver' on the outside.

Agreed. He's got that YAC ability that became a hallmark of TO and guys like him. Size-wise guys like Nicks and Boldin work well as comps, but there's some Blackmon plays I've seen where the first name that came to mind was TO.