PDA

View Full Version : SI's Jim Trotter QB Rankings

BradysKnee
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I usually don't care about this stuff, but this article makes me really wonder how these clowns get jobs in football journalism.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Features such genius as Tim Tebow being #5 QB in the NFL.
Mark Sanchez rated higher than Stafford, Ryan, Phillip Rivers etc.
Eli Manning at #8 and the list goes on.

This one just made me wanna puke. Contributors here like the Baron and others should have these jobs. Not morons like this.

Jughead10
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I usually don't care about this stuff, but this article makes me really wonder how these clowns get jobs in football journalism.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Features such genius as Tim Tebow being #5 QB in the NFL.
Mark Sanchez rated higher than Stafford, Ryan, Phillip Rivers etc.
Eli Manning at #8 and the list goes on.

This one just made me wanna puke. Contributors here like the Baron and others should have these jobs. Not morons like this.

Some idiot on nfl.com the other day said the Giants are a bottom 6 team in the league and at that at the end of the season we really need a long overdue reevaluation of our QB situation.

I don't know who are bigger idiots. The authors or the people that hire them?

Da-Phins
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
He lost me once I saw Tebow and Sanchez in the top half. Everyone any their mothers knows Sanchez is one of the worst QB's in the NFL.(well except Trotter)

Shane P. Hallam
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
These are only for this season just FYI. Doesn't justify some of the choices, but could give a more clear understanding.

Giantsfan1080
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
The national writers are getting worse and worse. I call it Skip Bayless syndrome in saying dumb things just to get people riled up and you build a base.

RCAChainGang
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Tim Tebow is not better than Romo and Stafford is way too low on this list. Along with many other problems.

Absolute nonsense.

BradysKnee
12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
These are only for this season just FYI. Doesn't justify some of the choices, but could give a more clear understanding.

Yeah but still, any list that has Tim ******* Tebow at #5 for this season is a joke on its own, and that's just one stupid thing he wrote, albeit a major one.

If anything the rest of the Broncos squad deserves credit for winning despite Tebow's limitations.

Jvig43
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
He lost me once I saw Tebow and Sanchez in the top half. Everyone any their mothers knows Sanchez is one of the worst QB's in the NFL.(well except Trotter)

Or Jets fans. ITS ALL SCHOTTENHEIMER!!!!

BradysKnee
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9972/schotty.jpg

keylime_5
12-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Tebow is hard to rate when listing the best QBs. He is a great player who is a big reason why Denver is winning...but he's a terrible passer. Not a great QB, but a very good player. Not many like it before.

robert pancake gallery
12-09-2011, 12:46 PM
tim tebow would be #1 on my list, you are all just a bunch of haters

phlysac
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Clearly a "results based" list.

It's laughable, but if you skew your perspective solely on the criteria he is including in his blurbs it makesmore sense.

Hurricanes25
12-09-2011, 01:31 PM

You do realize that the Jets fans were booing him during the Buffalo game 2 weeks ago, right?

Sanchez is part of the problem, Schotty is part of the problem and the WR's are part of the problem.

vidae
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I completely disagree with his ranking of Tyler Palko.

No way should he be in the top 32. I'd take some backups over him right now.

PatrickWillis
12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Tebow 5th and Alex Smith 6th? Lmfao.

49erNation85
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Don't be hating on Tebow guys. His passing game is improving just look at his rating and numbers in the last few games specially against Minn yes Minn is a bad team but still he is showing sings of growth. Just because he doesn't pass for more 20 times a game he doesn't turn the ball over on careless mistakes. If he would have had a full off season instead of the lock out I'm sure Tebow would have be the starter and taken this team into the play offs and hes till can.

vidae
12-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Don't be hating on Tebow guys. His passing game is improving just look at his rating and numbers in the last few games specially against Minn yes Minn is a bad team but still he is showing sings of growth. Just because he doesn't pass for more 20 times a game he doesn't turn the ball over on careless mistakes. If he would have had a full off season instead of the lock out I'm sure Tebow would have be the starter and taken this team into the play offs and hes till can.

Please for the love of god stop with the rampant Tebow homerism. He has done nothing to deserve it.

Bulldogs
12-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Breed > 49ernation. Speaking of Breed, I miss that man.

Sloopy
12-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Lol @ Flacco being 22nd and behind the likes of Tebow, Sanchez, T.J. Yates to name a few... Guy is hardly all world but he is definitely better than backups and some of these other questionable starters.

TheMatriculator
12-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I completely disagree with his ranking of Tyler Palko.

No way should he be in the top 32. I'd take some backups over him right now.

Change that to most backups and I'd agree.

J-Mike88
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Tebow is hard to rate when listing the best QBs. He is a great player who is a big reason why Denver is winning...but he's a terrible passer. Not a great QB, but a very good player. Not many like it before.
^^ I think that's pretty fair.

ChiFan24
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Wait where the **** did Breed go!?!?!?!?!

BradysKnee
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Wait where the **** did Breed go!?!?!?!?!

His mom read some of his posts and grounded him.

niel89
12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Lol @ Flacco being 22nd and behind the likes of Tebow, Sanchez, T.J. Yates to name a few... Guy is hardly all world but he is definitely better than backups and some of these other questionable starters.

I'm not gonna call Flacco a top 5 QB but he is certainly better than some of those guys. Flacco is a semi polarizing QB. Some people like him a fair bit and love what he can do with his arm, and others just think he is terrible and is getting carried by his team constantly.

BradysKnee
12-09-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm not gonna call Flacco a top 5 QB but he is certainly better than some of those guys. Flacco is a semi polarizing QB. Some people like him a fair bit and love what he can do with his arm, and others just think he is terrible and is getting carried by his team constantly.

Yeah I agree, I'm not huge on Flacco, but 22? Even if it is based on the current season, I disagree.

ChiFan24
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
His mom read some of his posts and grounded him.

God help you people if he's gone....his posts were the reason I woke up in the morning.

Rosebud
12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
The national writers are getting worse and worse. I call it Skip Bayless syndrome in saying dumb things just to get people riled up and you build a base.

At least Skip's a good troll when he's not phoning it in because even he knows no one's going ot buy what he's selling, and that doesn't happen very often.

Thecollegedropout
12-09-2011, 11:35 PM
He's better than these teams current starters(Won't name IND and Peyton even though I should):
KC
JAX
SEA
ARI
SF(Need more than 1 good year from Smith)
MIA
WSH
MIN
CLE
DEN(Tebow has been good but he needs to win BIG games in January like Sanchez)

And Sanchez is at least on par with(Or its at least debatable):
BUF
BAL
TB
ATL
CIN
STL
OAK
CAR

And teams with better QBs are
NO
GB
DET
NE
NYG
DAL
PHI
CHI(With Cutler)
SD
TEN(Barely with Hasselback....)
HOU
PIT
IND

Sanchez hate has got to stop....the guy is not THAT bad. He isn't great but the guy isn't awful like plenty of people try and make it out to be.

He's around midpack. Definitely not 11th as this writer says but he is not "One of the worst QBs in the NFL".

Thecollegedropout
12-09-2011, 11:38 PM
You do realize that the Jets fans were booing him during the Buffalo game 2 weeks ago, right?

Sanchez is part of the problem, Schotty is part of the problem and the WR's are part of the problem.
Schitty is probably the biggest part of the problem.

Schottenheimer is an awful coordinator who failed with Pennington/Favre/Sanchez. This isn't just on Sanchez....notice how both Pennington AND Favre go onto a good year right after leaving Schotty. I won't get on Schotty too much for Favre since Brett probably had immense pull on what plays to run(Along with Brett being new to the system) but Pennington did not get treated right under Mangini/Schotty.

Kellen Clemens was another failure but that might be on both Clemens for not being a good QB and Schotty for being incapable of developing him. That was suppose to be the "QB" for Schotty when he became the Jets OC in 2006, not Sanchez in 2009.

mqtirishfan
12-09-2011, 11:58 PM
21. TJ Yates
22. Joe Flacco
23. Dan Orlovsky

Let that sink in for a moment.

Jvig43
12-10-2011, 12:27 AM

Yes but I had to listen to another Jets fan on this board throw out the whole shotty excuse just a few days ago which provoked me into saying something :)

Oh well and before I read the whole thread we got another one. No one is buying it, stop with the excuses already.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-10-2011, 02:14 AM
"Smith ranks fourth among full-time starters with a 114.1 rating against the blitz (Tom Brady is seventh at 117.2)"

Since when is 114.1>117.2?

WCH
12-10-2011, 03:56 AM

I agree that this is fair. He's playing 1940's football, but it's working well enough for Denver right now.

I certainly don't think that Tebow is a top-5 QB, but my bigger issue is with Alex Smith being #6. That's just crazy-talk.

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah I agree, I'm not huge on Flacco, but 22? Even if it is based on the current season, I disagree.

I mean if its based on the current season I think it would be higher than most of his other seasons.

I agree with Niel, He's not a top 5 guy but our offense really is built to run the ball (Despite Cam's wishes) we don't need a top 5 guy we need a dependable guy who can move the chains when it's called upon.

So far this year he has been just what we needed him to be and lead a comeback drive in the fourth quarter IN PITT. Can't ask for much more from him.

Meanwhile guys like Tony **** throw up big beach ball picks when they are relied upon in to make late drives.

Tebow has lead drives to win games but isn't much of a passer per say.

T.J. Yates is doing well, as a GM I'm still not ready to cut my starting QB and give him the reins yet.

I'm not gunna even get started on Mark "**** it I'm going intermediate" Sanchez

NY+Giants=NYG
12-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Some of these sites do a pathetic job of hiring people!

Here is the perfect example!

This is from NFL.com!

Giants could be making a move for a much-needed QB

I don't know if Joe Buck was aware of this, but the Giants also lost to the undefeated Patriots in the 2007 regular season before going on to win the Super Bowl. Oh, that's right; it was the only thing he talked about Sunday. Yeah, we all got it, Joe. The only problem with your analogy was the 2007 Giants were good. This current crop has lost four consecutive games and has just as good of a chance of finishing 6-10 than it does at 10-6.

If the Giants do finish in the bottom six, do they finally address their long-standing need for a quarterback? Up next: at Dallas

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 10:11 AM

This is from NFL.com!

I litterally just laughed out loud reading this. People are so effing stupid

NY+Giants=NYG
12-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I litterally just laughed out loud reading this. People are so effing stupid

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824cb929/article/giants-could-be-making-a-move-for-a-muchneeded-qb?module=HP11_hot_topics

Twitter: http://twitter.com/adamrank

Well I understand there is an element of shocking a group to get popular or more hits on their site. But that's just so off the beaten path of doing it. I mean seriously? We had some of our fan base go after the guy on twitter and he stuck to his point.

I would really love for that guy to explain his thought process. Does he think Dave Brown is our QB? Danny Kannell? Is this the Dan Reeves era?

Again, how do you hire someone like that? Doesn't NFL.com have an editor? Shouldn't someone say um, no, sorry this article is pathetic, please re-write?

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824cb929/article/giants-could-be-making-a-move-for-a-muchneeded-qb?module=HP11_hot_topics

Well I understand there is an element of shocking a group to get popular or more hits on their site. But that's just so off the beaten path of doing it. I mean seriously? We had some of our fan base go after the guy on twitter and he stuck to his point.

I would really love for that guy to explain his thought process. Does he think Dave Brown is our QB? Danny Kannell? Is this the Dan Reeves era?

Again, how do you hire someone like that? Doesn't NFL.com have an editor? Shouldn't someone say um, no, sorry this article is pathetic, please re-write?

NFL.com much like the NFL network, just gets all the rejects from ESPN, and ESPN already posts some ******** ****, imagine what their rejects come up with (well you don't have to imagine, see post above :P )

NY+Giants=NYG
12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
NFL.com much like the NFL network, just gets all the rejects from ESPN, and ESPN already posts some ******** ****, imagine what their rejects come up with (well you don't have to imagine, see post above :P )

I never heard of anything to this level of bad journalism.

Look at the twitter stuff: @adamrank give me one reason why the giants should be looking for a new QB?

They've been stuck with Eli Manning

It's being bad your job. I would ask any of the people who like football, and lost their jobs due to economy to come and write about football. I bet this writer would step his game up, knowing his job is on the line.

To think this guy has a job, while so many others don't.

BradysKnee
12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

This is from NFL.com!

Was that a joke? Seriously?

NY+Giants=NYG
12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Was that a joke? Seriously?

LOL. Nope! He is dead serious. We need a NFL caliber starting QB it appears, and have needed one for a long time it would seem.

gsorace
12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Not going to defend Mark Sanchez because he's been pretty bad....but Joe Flacco has been worse if we're going off of this season.

The only QBs in the NFL with a worse completion percentage than Flacco are Curtis Painter, Blaine Gabbert, and Sam Bradford.

gpngc
12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
01. Aaron Rodgers
02. Tom Brady
03. Peyton Manning
04. Drew Brees
05. Philip Rivers
06. Ben Roethlisberger
07. Eli Manning
08. Jay Cutler
09. Cam Newton
10. Matt Schaub
11. Tony Romo
12. Matt Stafford
13. Matt Ryan
14. Michael Vick
15. Joe Flacco
16. Carson Palmer
17. Matt Hasselbeck
18. Mark Sanchez
19. Josh Freeman
20. Tim Tebow
21. Alex Smith
22. Ryan Fitzpatrick
23. Andy Dalton
24. Matt Moore
25. Sam Bradford
26. Kevin Kolb
27. Christian Ponder
28. Tarvaris Jackson
29. Kyle Orton
30. Dan Orlovsky
31. T.J. Yates
32. Seneca Wallace
33. Vince Young
34. Jon Kitna
35. Colt McCoy

Forgot Cassel... erm - over Fitzpatrick I guess...

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Not going to defend Mark Sanchez because he's been pretty bad....but Joe Flacco has been worse if we're going off of this season.

The only QBs in the NFL with a worse completion percentage than Flacco are Curtis Painter, Blaine Gabbert, and Sam Bradford.

I'm not going to try and say Flacco has been a probowler this year, but he has by far been better than Sanchez, you can't just go on one stat to determine a guys season, the guy has been pretty clutch and I mean look who he's throwing to vs. what Sanchez is throwing to. Sanchez has no excuses.

DraftSavant
12-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Please don't speak of this era. I get horrible PTSD flashbacks from my childhood, where my dad is going into drunken rages every Sunday.

Bulldogs
12-10-2011, 11:56 AM
He's better than these teams current starters(Won't name IND and Peyton even though I should):
KC
JAX
SEA
ARI
SF(Need more than 1 good year from Smith)
MIA
WSH
MIN
CLE
DEN(Tebow has been good but he needs to win BIG games in January like Sanchez)

And Sanchez is at least on par with(Or its at least debatable):
BUF
BAL
TB
ATL
CIN
STL
OAK
CAR

And teams with better QBs are
NO
GB
DET
NE
NYG
DAL
PHI
CHI(With Cutler)
SD
TEN(Barely with Hasselback....)
HOU
PIT
IND

Sanchez hate has got to stop....the guy is not THAT bad. He isn't great but the guy isn't awful like plenty of people try and make it out to be.

He's around midpack. Definitely not 11th as this writer says but he is not "One of the worst QBs in the NFL".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i7LyIrSPoL0/Th44N2dCEVI/AAAAAAAAAsg/11p8RbjggYg/s1600/mj-laughing.gif

NY+Giants=NYG
12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Please don't speak of this era. I get horrible PTSD flashbacks from my childhood, where my dad is going into drunken rages every Sunday.

Yeah that was a bad era. I am 30, so from the 90s on, I was 9 years old and so on so I barely remember that era. I have clips and moments I remember. I loved Rodney Hampton! But the QBs after Simms were a mess. I remember Dave Brown, Danny K, and then Mike Cherry I want to say. It was bad, very bad.

Carrie Collins was the QB who got us out of the era. I never was a fan of Collins, but I guess when you have the other QBs, Collins becomes Tom brady, just because of the garbage preceding him.

Thank god we got Eli now, but I do remember the junk before Eli and after Phil Simms. That was the dark years of terrible QBs!

ChiFan24
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
01. Aaron Rodgers

Forgot Cassel... erm - over Fitzpatrick I guess...

I'd bump Rivers down into the #7-8ish area and swap Vick with Cam, but pretty good list overall.

soybean
12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm not going to try and say Flacco has been a probowler this year, but he has by far been better than Sanchez, you can't just go on one stat to determine a guys season, the guy has been pretty clutch and I mean look who he's throwing to vs. what Sanchez is throwing to. Sanchez has no excuses.

Flacco has been clutch? Are you implying sanchez isn't? Look up his fourth quarter statistics. And what sanchez is throwing to vs. Flacco? Since when do the ravens have bad weapons? o_O. I think your whole post is the opposite of what's actually true.

Sloopy
12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Flacco has been clutch? Are you implying sanchez isn't? Look up his fourth quarter statistics. And what sanchez is throwing to vs. Flacco? Since when do the ravens have bad weapons? o_O. I think your whole post is the opposite of what's actually true.

Torrey Smith drops every other ball thrown his way, our third best receiving target is Rice out of the backfield and Boldin is essentially a glorified slot receiver at this point in his career.

Sanchez has Keller Holmes and Keller who are all big receiving threats.

I am not saying that Sanchez isn't clutch my point was more that he is leading his team to wins with less supporting cast in the passing game.

Neither are all that great to be honest I just wouldn't put Flacco at 22 is really the main point