PDA

View Full Version : Who gets your COACH OF THE YEAR vote

J-Mike88
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Among these contenders (I am adding DC Wade Phillips of Houston. In a season they lost Super Mario, Schaub, Arian for a few games, and Andre for a bunch, their defense continues to be #1 and carrying them to the #1 seed currently).
I know coordinators aren't allowed in the official one, but some Texan fans I talk to here in Dallas say he's been the key. Kubiak was always about to be fired before.

abaddon41_80
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I would vote for Wade Phillips if I could. Since I can't I would go with Kubiak

Xiomera
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Kubiak, definitely.

I won't vote for him, but Jim Schwartz is a better candidate than some of the options in the poll. The DETROIT LIONS are probably making the playoffs. THE DETROIT LIONS!

Razor
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Most definitely Kubiak. With the injuries that team has suffered it's a miracle that they've made it to the PO.

Scotty D
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Kubiak, definitely.

I won't vote for him, but Jim Schwartz is a better candidate than some of the options in the poll. The DETROIT LIONS are probably making the playoffs. THE DETROIT LIONS!

Schwartz should probably be a candidate but I wouldn't vote for him. I think he and Scott Linehan have held the Lions back this year. Calvin has not had a big enough role in the second half and the gameplans have been way too conservative. Also no way he gets votes with all the penalties.

Pat Sims 90
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Even though i don't like him Marvin Lewis should get some consideration. The fact that Bengals will probably end up with a .500 record with a Rookie QB and WR and a rookie OC.

J-Mike88
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm liking the early returns... good voting 19-deep so far.

I couldn't put Schwartz on there with the lack of discipline that team has shown, plus the way they've fallen off from the 5-0 or 6-0 start.

But he is the only coach so far to defeat Tebow. But again, his guys mocked Timmy's prayers. Team lacks discipline.

Marvin Lewis was on the hotseat entering this season.... they've done better than expected but finishing about .500 is not worthy of being a Coach of the Year consideration.

Pat Sims 90
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm liking the early returns... good voting 19-deep so far.

I couldn't put Schwartz on there with the lack of discipline that team has shown, plus the way they've fallen off from the 5-0 or 6-0 start.

But he is the only coach so far to defeat Tebow. But again, his guys mocked Timmy's prayers. Team lacks discipline.

Marvin Lewis was on the hotseat entering this season.... they've done better than expected but finishing about .500 is not worthy of being a Coach of the Year consideration.

Considering what he had to work with yes it is.

vidae
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I went with Jim Harbaugh. Did anyone expect them to be where they are right now? I can't think of a single person who did.

That team is making the playoffs and they're going to be a tough win in December. A team who can run the ball well and who plays great defense is going to be trouble for someone.

Ness
12-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I think it's a tight race. If I were to decide right now I'd say Gary Kubiak. With the injuries his team has sustained and still having the number one seed in the AFC and making the playoffs for the first time in team history is really an accomplishment. Also getting Wade Phillips to coach up the defense. He has Yates playing at a pretty good level. And Brooks Reed and J.J. Watt have become nice players as rookies. It's scary to think what this Houston team could be like at full strength. They actually look like they could go deep in the playoffs if they continue to play the way they do.

Second choice would have been Jim Harbaugh.

descendency
12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Peyton Manning. See how bad the Colts are without him? That's sarcasm, if you can't see it.

edit: The correct answer is Mike McCarthy. Anyone else is fooling themselves.

niel89
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
I went with Jim Harbaugh. Did anyone expect them to be where they are right now? I can't think of a single person who did.

That team is making the playoffs and they're going to be a tough win in December. A team who can run the ball well and who plays great defense is going to be trouble for someone.

I also went Harbaugh. This 49ers team isn't fundamentally a different team from the past few years but they have been great this year. Before the season we wondered if they could contend for Luck and now we wonder if they can contend for the Superbowl. A couple weeks ago this would be a lot easier, but 2 losses have slowed down his campaign.

For the others: Mike McCarthy is doing great but I feel like the Packers are stacked and the other coaches are doing more with less. Fox is getting divine intervention from Tebow miracles. The Patriots defense is just bad and Belichick should be doing better there. John Harbaugh has been good but the Ravens should be better and more consistent than they have been

The Texans have been great and its crazy that they have stayed at the top of the AFC with all their injuries, but I give most of the credit to Phillips instead of Kubiak. Wade took their average defense, completely changed scheme, lost his best defender and they still are at the top in defense. The team did a nice job getting the pieces to fill in that defense also.

mqtirishfan
12-12-2011, 07:11 PM
If the Packers go undefeated and McCarthy doesn't win Coach of the Year, it'd be a joke.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Harbaugh and it shouldnt be close...Obviously McCarthy wins it with a 16-0 season but he has much more to work with...

Xiomera
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Schwartz should probably be a candidate but I wouldn't vote for him. I think he and Scott Linehan have held the Lions back this year. Calvin has not had a big enough role in the second half and the gameplans have been way too conservative. Also no way he gets votes with all the penalties.

I agree. He's a candidate on the basis that the Lions are on the verge of a playoff berth for the first time in 11 years, but he's also held himself back with some big detractors.

Xiomera
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Harbaugh is winning in the worst division in football. Kubiak is more deserving. He's had substantial injuries to his 3 best players (Andre, Schaub and Mario), took the team to its first division title and playoff berth, and is winning with a THIRD quarterback with zero experience.

Kubiak > Harbaugh

Sloopy
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
A couple good options this year...

Kubiak turned the team around but I almost credit this to Wade and his defense

Schwartz has done a good job in Detroit but I don't think it was enough and the team has been down lately

Harb's turned the 49'ers fortunes around with Smith at QB but he is in one of the easiest divisions in football

I give it to Fox here:

The dude has lit a fire under that D's ass and has the team winning with TIM TEBOW at QB. Not trying to turn this into a bash Tebow thing so let's not go there...

The guy turned a terrible defense into one of the top ones in the league in my mind.

Started out rough but turned it around MIDSEASON to bring a team none of us would have considered a playoff team to the head of their division and what appears to be a playoff berth.

Changed his offensive scheme midseason to accommodate someone none of us thought would ever be a starting QB and is on a hot streak into the playoffs.

I really don't see this team doing this with McD at the helm... the guy deserves some series credit

TACKLE
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
whoops I accidentally voted for the wrong Harbaugh. or did i

49ersfan_87
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Harbaugh is winning in the worst division in football. Kubiak is more deserving. He's had substantial injuries to his 3 best players (Andre, Schaub and Mario), took the team to its first division title and playoff berth, and is winning with a THIRD quarterback with zero experience.

Kubiak > Harbaugh

The AFC South is worse than the NFC West this year...

Brent
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
1a) Harbaugh
1b) John Fox

CJSchneider
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Jim Harbaugh and it aint even close.

descendency
12-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Kubiak > Harbaugh

What is the AFC South without Manning (and Houston, since we are talking about Houston beating up the AFC South)? Abysmal.

Xiomera
12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
What is the AFC South without Manning (and Houston, since we are talking about Houston beating up the AFC South)? Abysmal.

OK, so let's call them even. Did the 49ers lose their 3 best players to injury?

Roddoliver
12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
This one is easy. If the Broncos win the division, it should be John Fox. He was not re-signed by the Panthers, so his ability as a head coach was questioned. He was not seen as the top candidate available, it was Harbaugh. The Broncos have a much less talented team than the 49ers. Look at how many 1st round picks the 49ers have just on offense. The Broncos have a cheap front office. 2nd worst record in 2010. The #1 WR was traded during the season. Fox changed the QB and worked with his staff to change the style of offense. 7-1 since the bye week. The AFC West is more competitive than the NFC West. Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams are all below .500.

Nikolas
12-13-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm a Texans fan, but realistically it's gonna go to Jim Harbaugh, and deservedly so. The Texan's defense is what improved, and that's all due to Wade, not Kubiak, so I can't give him the credit. The Packers are SB Champs and have a lot of talent, so you can't say it's all the coaching.

But with the '49ers, it's obviously the change in coaching that has made all the difference. They have the same QB, the same basic team as they had last year, yet it's Night and Day.

Ness
12-13-2011, 03:36 AM
This one is easy. If the Broncos win the division, it should be John Fox. He was not re-signed by the Panthers, so his ability as a head coach was questioned. He was not seen as the top candidate available, it was Harbaugh. The Broncos have a much less talented team than the 49ers. Look at how many 1st round picks the 49ers have just on offense. The Broncos have a cheap front office. 2nd worst record in 2010. The #1 WR was traded during the season. Fox changed the QB and worked with his staff to change the style of offense. 7-1 since the bye week. The AFC West is more competitive than the NFC West. Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams are all below .500.

Well John Fox deserved to go in Carolina. He went from 12-4 to 8-8 to 2-14. It was time for a change. He had been there for a while, had his chances, but didn't get it done.

Also, I wouldn't say the AFC West is more competitive. The Seahawks and Cardinals are totally different than when they started the season. The Oakland Raiders and Chiefs have gotten worse (definitely the Chiefs) as the season has gone on and we get into the final three weeks. Chargers are getting a little better though. I think the AFC West has two competitive teams in San Diego and Denver, while the West has three in Seattle, Arizona, and San Francisco.

Ness
12-13-2011, 03:40 AM

Kubiak > Harbaugh
I don't think the AFC South is better than the NFC West. And I know before this past weekend the NFC West had more wins than the NFC East. And the 49ers played one divisional game for the first 9 games of the season.

TACKLE
12-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Although I do think Jim Harbaugh is deserving, something that is getting overlooked is the impact Singletary had on this team. Although he wasn't that good of a coach and was notoriously bad on gameday, I think this team today is really benefiting from his time there. San Fran was a soft team before he got there and help change the mentality and made them a tougher, more physical team. Basically that team went to boot camp for 2 years under Iron Mike and Harbaugh came in with a better football IQ, better schemes, better gameday management and won games immediately because he was able to take advantage of that foundation that Singletary laid down.

Bengalsrocket
12-13-2011, 06:55 AM
OK, so let's call them even. Did the 49ers lose their 3 best players to injury?

They're not close to even. The AFC South actually has a winless team.

Jags, Colts & Titans = 11 total wins.

Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals = 14 total wins.

TheFinisher
12-13-2011, 07:32 AM
It can't be John Fox because he refused to give in to Tebow time until he thought the season was over. If he started from week 1 they would be undefeated.

Shane P. Hallam
12-13-2011, 07:39 AM
It can't be John Fox because he refused to give in to Tebow time until he thought the season was over. If he started from week 1 they would be undefeated.

Except against Detroit!

Bucs_Rule
12-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Jim Harbaugh: Amazing turnaround without any significant personnel changes. Everyone said they were a QB away from contending, that they couldn't do it with Alex Smith.

Xiomera
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
They're not close to even. The AFC South actually has a winless team.

Jags, Colts & Titans = 11 total wins.

Rams, Seahawks and Cardinals = 14 total wins.
It isn't nearly as black and white as you say, and again I ask you to address the matter of the Texans losing their 3 best players and making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.