PDA

View Full Version : What team has the most balanced offense and defense in the NFL?

Ness
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
In your opinion which teams in the NFL have the most balance on offense and defense? Respectable offenses and defenses. My vote would go to the Texans. They have a pretty good passing attack with that run game on offense, while their defense has been lights out all season long.

Jvig43
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Ravens have to be up there when Flacco can actually throw the ball. Jets are another team that comes to mind but basically same thing as the Ravens.

SuperPacker
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Has to be the steelers right?

Ness
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Ravens have to be up there when Flacco can actually throw the ball. Jets are another team that comes to mind but basically same thing as the Ravens.

I was thinking Ravens too, but their passing game seems really inconsistent at times. Still I think after Houston they might be my next best pick.

Sloopy
12-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I was thinking Ravens too, but their passing game seems really inconsistent at times. Still I think after Houston they might be my next best pick.

Didn't want to be the first to post in this.

The actual key to the Ravens offense is Rice running the ball more than we throw it.

Saints-Tigers
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
The Saints are first in passing yards, and 8th in rushing yards, first in total yards by 300 yards. 2nd in scoring, tied first in yards per play. 4th in yards per pass, and 4th in yards per rushing attempt.

Defense is another question, but I think the Saints have easily the best balance right now on offense.

The ravens for instance, have less rushing yards, less yards per attempt, and = rushing touchdowns to us. And we trounce their passing game.

Edit: by the OP definition, probably the Texans with Schaub and Johnson in.

Paul
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Texans when everyone is healthy.

Trogdor
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Easily Houston when healthy.

SickwithIt1010
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Texans when everyone is healthy.

Well Yates just threw for 300 and 2 td's the other day. Still pretty damn balanced lol.

A Perfect Score
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

So Houston with TJ Yates offers a more consistent passing attack then Flacco and the Ravens?

Rosebud
12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Good I wish we still had spags and a strong OL/running game. *sigh*

brat316
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Steelers!!!!

Fico
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
So Houston with TJ Yates offers a more consistent passing attack then Flacco and the Ravens?

In the samples TJ Yates has provided.

Yes.

Ness
12-13-2011, 09:22 PM

T.J. Yates has played two games, not the majority of the season. Even so in those two starts he's shown he can throw the ball just as nicely as your typical Joe Flacco game.

wogitalia
12-13-2011, 10:22 PM
How does anyone answer anything but the Steelers? I don't know how people are even considering other teams.

Steelers are at absolute worst a top 5 defense. They have one of the best offenses as well.

They are certainly the only team with a top 5 QB and a top 5 defense.

The Ravens are probably closest but their offensive play calling is awful. They should be running the same game plan as when they last won a SB yet they seem to want to be a pass first team.

Texans are solid on offense and very good on defense.

That said, the most correct answer to this question is the Colts. They have the worst offense and the worst defense. They are the definition of balanced, just not how you want it.

Saints-Tigers
12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Yates>Alex SMith?

49erNation85
12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Yates>Alex SMith?

Any one > Alex Smith.. Why bother with the ? mark , come on man .

descendency
12-14-2011, 12:33 AM
New York Giants.

Ness
12-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Yates>Alex SMith?

Probably. He can throw for 300 yards and throw towards the center of the field especially in the redzone.

MI_Buckeye
12-14-2011, 01:23 AM
No love for the Falcons' O?

Ness
12-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Something is holding me back from saying the Falcons. They have a good offense and decent defense. I guess you could throw them in there. They do seem like a balanced team.

bantx
12-14-2011, 02:03 AM
New York Giants.

Have you seen their defense play?

Cudders
12-14-2011, 02:06 AM
It's the Steelers and it's not particularly close. They've got a top five quarterback, a respectable rushing attack, one of the best deep threats in the NFL, a good slot receiver that meshes with Roethlisberger's style of backyard football, and an annually strong defense.

The Texans would have an intriguing case if their core was healthy, but they're not right now, so they fall short.

The Jets and Ravens have stout defenses, but both are plagued by mediocre or worse quarterback situations.

Neither unit for the Falcons is good enough for me to consider them among the best, most balanced teams in the NFL. Admittedly, both units are very solid and capable of playing winning football, but I don't think either trumps Pittsburgh or, say, Houston at full strength.

These Giants aren't the traditional Giant teams we've seen of late. Their defense isn't nearly as formidable as it used to be, their offensive line has slowly eroded, and the effectiveness of their running game has plummeted as a result. What you see now is Eli Manning carrying an otherwise wholly average football team and masking its deficiencies along the way.

nepg
12-14-2011, 02:09 AM
The Bucs should be this team.

I'll go with the Giants, though.

Ness
12-14-2011, 04:56 AM
It's the Steelers and it's not particularly close. They've got a top five quarterback, a respectable rushing attack, one of the best deep threats in the NFL, a good slot receiver that meshes with Roethlisberger's style of backyard football, and an annually strong defense.
Their running game has been average to bad all season long. Their defense and passing game is very good. I just can't picture the Steelers maintaining a good running game if Ben Roethlisberger went down for example. We've seen that happen with Houston still running pretty well with Yates in at quarterback for example. That really tells me that Houston is well-rounded on offense. Really, does the Steelers running game scare anyone?

AntoinCD
12-14-2011, 05:54 AM
I would probably go with The Texans. If Schaub and AJ were healthy this would be easy but even without them they are still a good passing team. They are great at running the ball and their D is one of the best in the NFL

Cudders
12-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Their running game has been average to bad all season long. Their defense and passing game is very good. I just can't picture the Steelers maintaining a good running game if Ben Roethlisberger went down for example. We've seen that happen with Houston still running pretty well with Yates in at quarterback for example. That really tells me that Houston is well-rounded on offense. Really, does the Steelers running game scare anyone?

I never proclaimed their running game was great. I never even said it was good. All I said was that it is respectable. The Steelers rank seventeenth in total rushing yards and fifteenth in yards per attempt this year. That, to me, is worth at least a modicum of respect from defenses. And respect of both offensive facets is the hallmark of a balanced unit. Pittsburgh’s bread and butter is their passing game. You won’t get an argument from me there. But I think their ground game is competent enough to consider that a balanced offense. Sure, if that running game was all defenses had to gameplan for it wouldn’t scare anyone; however, it’s paired with a better aerial attack that lightens its load considerably. It doesn’t need to be dominant. It just needs to keep defenses honest. Just like the Texans. T.J. Yates doesn’t scare anyone by himself. But he doesn’t need to scare anyone because he feeds off a stronger ground game.

Along those lines, if we’re asking for the most balanced team, my answer remains the Steelers. Asking for the most balanced offense and most balanced defense begs a different answer though. In that case, the Saints undeniably have the most balanced offense and the Ravens would probably be my choice for the most balanced defense. The latter is certainly more open to argument though.

Also, I really don’t view the Giants as a balanced team. When I watch them, I see Eli Manning playing at a very high level and compensating for a lot of other shortcomings.

bigbluedefense
12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
New York Giants.

You're joking right?

Unless you mean by balanced, that we can't stop either the run or pass on defense, then yes, we're balanced.

And offensively, we can't run the ball to save our life.

Ness
12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I never proclaimed their running game was great. I never even said it was good. All I said was that it is respectable. The Steelers rank seventeenth in total rushing yards and fifteenth in yards per attempt this year. That, to me, is worth at least a modicum of respect from defenses. And respect of both offensive facets is the hallmark of a balanced unit. Pittsburgh’s bread and butter is their passing game. You won’t get an argument from me there. But I think their ground game is competent enough to consider that a balanced offense. Sure, if that running game was all defenses had to gameplan for it wouldn’t scare anyone; however, it’s paired with a better aerial attack that lightens its load considerably. It doesn’t need to be dominant. It just needs to keep defenses honest. Just like the Texans. T.J. Yates doesn’t scare anyone by himself. But he doesn’t need to scare anyone because he feeds off a stronger ground game.

We must have different definitions then. If you were to say that's respectable, I'd say it's average. I wouldn't put it on the level of good though, and I don't think you'd be able to win games consistently if that passing game of Pittsburgh's faltered, say if Roethlisberger was out for a good amount of the season and the team had to lean on the ground game.

As for Yates, he's making his case. He doesn't scare anyone mostly due to the fact that he's a rookie that isn't expected to do much. They haven't really missed a beat though through the air and he's definitely turning some heads. He may scare some folks one day. We'll see.