PDA

View Full Version : Is Nick Foles This Year's Andy Dalton?

Shane P. Hallam
12-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Mel Kiper says he considers Foles a borderline 1st round pick. Apparently I'm missing something, seems that Foles may be another Andy Dalton of being highly thought of with something I just don't quite see...

princefielder28
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I didn't like Dalton as a prospect because I worried about his arm strength (physical limitations) but he had all the intangibles you want in a QB...Foles has experience but for me there's nothing else attractive about his game

BeerBaron
12-14-2011, 07:47 PM
I'd rather draft Case Keenum. And I'm not particularly fond of Case Keenum.

Foles is another Gabbert type. He'll get pushed up because he's so big and has an arm...oh what? His offense is SUPER simple and he can't hit the broad side of a barn and he folds under pressure? "Meh, we'll coach it out of him" some guy drooling over his tools alone will say.

Pass.

ElectricEye
12-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't even see the arm strength people are talking about with Foles. Count me in the head scratching group.

kalbears13
12-14-2011, 07:57 PM
I've had the displeasure of seeing Nick Foles twice this year and his accuracy is disgustingly horrible past 10 yards. He might fit in a west coast offense that requires short passes but even then his accuracy isn't good enough. He checks down way too much and that's usually not seen until QB's go to the NFL. He holds on to the ball way too much and seems to take a long time with his reads. He does not stretch the field and his high completion percentage comes from swings and screens. His arm strength is way overrated. He's just tall and people assume he has a big arm.

Hurricanes25
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
The more I see, the less I like. He's a 4th-5th rounder to me. If he does go in the 1st or 2nd, the team that takes him will eventually regret it.

FUNBUNCHER
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I like Foles.

He's a streaky passer who can throw consecutive incompletions or hit 10 in a row.
I for one think he's got a big arm.
In my mind he and Landry Jones are sooo similar as prospects, but I like Foles more and would take him ahead of Landry Jones.

Dink and dunk passer at UA and his downfield accuracy is not great.
His completion percentage is overrated but I'd like to see if could develop into something.

CashmoneyDrew
12-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I stood by Dalton last year, and I'll stand by Foles this year. I like him. Like Dalton I wouldn't take him in the first though. Pure second rounder to me. I also think both could use a year to sit, but Dalton's proving me wrong on that one.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Foles is a ginger? How mobile is Foles?

Brent
12-14-2011, 09:11 PM
at least you are admitting you were wrong about Dalton!

:D

ATLDirtyBirds
12-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Completely hate Foles.

whatadai
12-15-2011, 12:10 AM
I BELIEVE IN FOLES! Andy Dalton and Jimmy Graham have shown the power of gingers!

Matthew Jones
12-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Foles doesn't have a great arm and the zip on his passes is somewhat lacking but he has excellent control over the short passing game; the second round wouldn't be a surprise. Check out how he played in the USC game.

nepg
12-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Foles' lack of mobility scares me. I like everything else about him well enough.

jrdrylie
12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Foles is a ginger? How mobile is Foles?

at least you are admitting you were wrong about Dalton!

:D

Foles is nowhere near as mobile as Dalton. I look as him as a homeless man's Blaine Gabbert. They both have very good size. They both piss their pants any time a defender crossed the line of scrimmage. But Gabbert's tools are better.

Shane might not be incorrect about Dalton. He could very easily have a sophomore slump similar to what Colt McCoy had.

I BELIEVE IN FOLES! Andy Dalton and Jimmy Graham have shown the power of gingers!

Jimmy Graham is a ginger? I thought he was some sort of Hispanic. Foles really isn't a ginger.. His hair is blonde.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Foles is nowhere near as mobile as Dalton. I look as him as a homeless man's Blaine Gabbert. They both have very good size. They both piss their pants any time a defender crossed the line of scrimmage. But Gabbert's tools are better.

Shane might not be incorrect about Dalton. He could very easily have a sophomore slump similar to what Colt McCoy had.

Colt McCoy as a rookie was nowhere near as good as Andy Dalton is right now. Colt's slump is going from "meh" to "******."

I don't expect Dalton to be near as bad if he slumps. I do worry about his ceiling a bit, but he has a high floor to fall back on. I see him being a Matt Ryan type at best, maybe in-his-prime Chad Pennington level.

As for Foles...see my earlier statements. DNW.

DraftSavant
12-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I think Foles is scrappy, and I like him the more I watch him. Reminds me of Fitzpatrick - especially how they're both all-arm throwers. They don't get a lot of hip/trunk rotation in their throws and, as such, velocity suffers.

Does that mean I'd spend a 1st rounder on him or make him my franchise QB? Not just no, but **** no (and I wouldn't have given Fitz that albatross of a contract, either). I'd take a flyer on him in round 2 on as a developmental type, though.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Dalton at least had the "winner" thing going for him.

All Foles has is a pretty comp% because he throws a ton of 3 yard passes

Hellisan
12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
I'd compare Nick Foles maybe to Ryan Lindley with a vastly inferior arm. They are both extremely slow-twitch, long-levered quarterbacks that are basically statues back there. The difference is I really believe that Lindley has the brain and arm to execute an NFL attack, whereas I'm not sure with either on Foles. He seemed to struggle against good competition. Lindley's season may not look spectacular as a senior, but they returned only one WR that had ever played at all (Sandifer) and he got hurt for the year before the season. His most dangerous wideout was a converted CB (Lockett) and he still led the team to a 9-4 record. So... similar to Lindley but inferior, and I wouldn't take Foles in the draft personally.

49erNation85
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
K.Moore > Foles and hes a late rounder maybe undrafted sadly .. I still hope team takes a chance on him late in the draft ...

Caulibflower
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Every time I watch Foles I like him less. Just don't see it. I see what makes people think he's got an arm, but an arm doesn't make a QB. He just doesn't have the rest of it. He's not aware enough, not accurate enough, not mobile enough. He's big and tall and has a pretty strong arm. He will not be an NFL starter.

SenorGato
12-16-2011, 02:06 AM
The more I see, the less I like. He's a 4th-5th rounder to me. If he does go in the 1st or 2nd, the team that takes him will eventually regret it.

Yeah...when I think Foles I think of an Erik Ainge type developmental QB...maybe you get a Matt Schaub/Cassel out of him, but like Ainge you probably get nothing.

He's got physical tools and physical tools are always nice in things like sports...

TonyGfortheTD
12-16-2011, 03:00 AM
I don't even think you'd get a Cassel out of him. Cassel at least had mobility.

NotRickJames
12-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Foles seems like a love/hate type of guy. I haven't heard a lot of opinions in the middle of the road about him.

The little I've seen, I've been underwhelmed but I haven't watched nearly enough

katnip
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
No

Just for fun.... Foles/Henne/Kellen Clemens?????????????

bearsfan_51
12-20-2011, 07:25 AM
I liked Dalton much more than I like Foles. Dalton was MUCH smarter with the football.

ellsy82
12-28-2011, 12:07 AM
I was really sold on Dalton after he seeing him in Jon Gruden's QB Camp. I'd like to see Foles invited, to see first hand what he can do under center. But the guy has the tools. Maybe not the pocket escapability, but he'd be a fine QB with above average line play. I think he's got a shot.

bored of education
12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
jbond may recall who loved Foles the mostest.

kalbears13
12-28-2011, 02:57 AM
jbond may recall who loved Foles the mostest.

I hope it's not you boey...

onejayhawk
12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Anyone that can complete 70% of his attempts in a BCS conference will draw attention, and deservedly. I recall people looking at the Drew Brees and Philip Rivers picks and scratching their head. Funny how both went to the same team in a run of spectacular draft successes.

There is a lot to not like about Foles, but he is doing something right.

BTW This year's Dalton is Tannehill. There are still those that dont understand why he is top 15.

J

Brent
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
There are still those that dont understand why he is top 15.
Go ahead and explain.

princefielder28
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Tannehill has quite a bit of potential compared to other quarterbacks in the draft, but he will not be a high end pick for one big reason (and there are others): he's not experienced enough...he's still learning to play quarterback, break down defenses, and all the other factors that come with playing the position, and he simply didn't get enough of that at the college level to be able to step on an NFL field and be successful...maybe in two or three years he'll be able to make an impact and at this point he is one the biggest projects at the position in this draft

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Go ahead and explain.

Outstanding intangibles, tremendous upside, solid physical package. Only downside is the lack of experience.

J

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Tannehill has quite a bit of potential compared to other quarterbacks in the draft, but he will not be a high end pick for one big reason (and there are others): he's not experienced enough...he's still learning to play quarterback, break down defenses, and all the other factors that come with playing the position, and he simply didn't get enough of that at the college level to be able to step on an NFL field and be successful...maybe in two or three years he'll be able to make an impact and at this point he is one the biggest projects at the position in this draft

And...?

All that is true. Explain how it matters. Every QB has a great deal to learn, so how is this a special case?

J

ElectricEye
12-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I would take Tannehill somewhere at the end of the first if I needed a quarterback. The problem with that is that most of the teams in that area are there because they don't. Whoever misses out on Luck and Griffin could get a real good value with Tannehill at the start of the second round though. If the Colts' miss out on Luck, he could be a real good fit there. Washington, Cleveland, and Buffalo seem to be good fits as well if they don't come away with a quarterback in the first round too.

soybean
12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Outstanding intangibles, tremendous upside, solid physical package. Only downside is the lack of experience.

J

and mobility.

Iamcanadian
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk

J

and mobility.

and winning

and coaching

princefielder28
12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
And...?

All that is true. Explain how it matters. Every QB has a great deal to learn, so how is this a special case?

J

every QB has a great deal to learn, no doubt, and plenty of them do that whiloe getting years of starting experience at the college level...Tannehill hasn't started too many games and before that he was focused on his role as a receiver and not necessarily developing as a QB...the lack of success at Texas A&M is also concerning because the team was full of talent, yet they failed big time to meet expectations and Tannehill wasn't someone who elevated his game in the big moments...he's got quite a bit of upside but he'll be learning the QB position rather than tweaking some of his deficiencies when he gets to the NFL

asdf1223
12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I would take Tannehill somewhere at the end of the first if I needed a quarterback. The problem with that is that most of the teams in that area are there because they don't. Whoever misses out on Luck and Griffin could get a real good value with Tannehill at the start of the second round though. If the Colts' miss out on Luck, he could be a real good fit there. Washington, Cleveland, and Buffalo seem to be good fits as well if they don't come away with a quarterback in the first round too.

Seattle makes a lot of sense. John Schneider the GM has worked directly with Sherman and they run a very very similar offense to that of A&M.

onejayhawk
12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
every QB has a great deal to learn, no doubt, and plenty of them do that whiloe getting years of starting experience at the college level...Tannehill hasn't started too many games and before that he was focused on his role as a receiver and not necessarily developing as a QB...the lack of success at Texas A&M is also concerning because the team was full of talent, yet they failed big time to meet expectations and Tannehill wasn't someone who elevated his game in the big moments...he's got quite a bit of upside but he'll be learning the QB position rather than tweaking some of his deficiencies when he gets to the NFL

This beginning to read like the Josh Freeman comments from a few years back. Suffice to say that Tannehill is an elite QB prospect, who maybegets knocked out of the top 10 by lack of experience. It will not drop him far.

J

princefielder28
12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
This beginning to read like the Josh Freeman comments from a few years back. Suffice to say that Tannehill is an elite QB prospect, who maybegets knocked out of the top 10 by lack of experience. It will not drop him far.

J

Freeman played in 35 games at Kansas State so not really seeing the comparison

go through the NFL and look at the how many starting quarterbacks had such little starting experience at the college level and you're not gonna find many

jsagan77
12-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Kellen Moore is this years Dalton IMO. Foles reminds me more of Schaub coming out. I think he's going to be solid after a few years of coaching.

49erNation85
12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes finally some one else sees the light...

onejayhawk
12-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Freeman played in 35 games at Kansas State so not really seeing the comparison

go through the NFL and look at the how many starting quarterbacks had such little starting experience at the college level and you're not gonna find many

There is a lot of disparaging the results, and failing to recognize the lack of surrounding talent. Bricks without straw.

As for the lack of other QBs, how often is a good starting QB asked to play another position, or is willing to do so.

J

onejayhawk
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
double post