PDA

View Full Version : Is Next Year when Cowher, Gruden, Fisher get Back to Coaching?

Auron
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Just wondering heading into next season, with so many Head Coaches already getting axed. Jack Del-Rio, Todd Haley, and Tony Sparano have already received their papers, and Raheem Morris, Jim Caldwell, Steve Spagnualo, Norv Turner, and others having their future in jeapardy.

There's going to be a lot of Head Coaching positions available and with the Big 3 of Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, and Jeff Fisher all out there you have to believe One; if not all Three will be offered a job somewhere. Do you think they are fits with any of these teams that have vacancies?

Also what hot assistants are going to be in demand. From the Saints I have a feeling we might lose Pete Carmichael Jr (if he interviews well). He's been Brees QB Coach since he got here, and had a very underrated role of being Offensive Coordinator for a very succesful Saints Offense. It wasn't until Sean Payton got hurt, that we really realized how much of an effect Carmichael has on the Offensive Gameplan, and playcalls.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 08:19 AM
If the Giants fail to reach the playoffs, Cowher will be in New York. That's the job he's supposedly been waiting for but pesky Coughlin keeps staying alive.

Gruden goes out of his way on MNF to never badmouth anyone so as not to burn bridges with any potential new team. (Except, hilariously, for Blaine Gabbert.) His biggest problem in Tampa imo was his inability to ever settle on a QB. When he came in, he brought Rob Johnson with him, and drafted Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski and Josh Johnson, and signed Jeff Garcia at one point. I think the best fit for him would be a team with an established QB in place that needs a little kick in the ass. (Chargers?)

Jeff Fisher also sounds like he'll be back. He'll probably be the most pliable of these three you mention, as he likely wont demand personnel control like Cowher and is less abrasive than Gruden.There have been some rumors with the Chiefs, though I think they'll end up with a Patriots tree candidate. Jacksonville is an interesting option, though he's not the "young and cheap" offensive coach they need most. Miami is also another place where Fisher would be a decent fit, since they too are keeping their current GM and Stephen Ross wants a "star" team to make the Dolphins more interesting. Fisher is a definite big name head coach who would fit that.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I think Fisher is the only one to come back, next year at least.

Auron
12-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Yeah regarding Gruden it seems like he needs to go to a spot where they will already have an established veteran in place. As he is very picky about his QB's, and probably won't have the patience to bring up a Young blood.

I personally think San Diego would be a good fit for Jeff Fisher. As they need a Defensive minded Coach more so to get their Defense back up to par with their Offense, (which should still be fine with Rivers even without the guidance of Norv) and Fisher seems to bring that old school, tough smashball mentality that they've missed since Schottenheimer left.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I think Fisher is the only one to come back, next year at least.

Ehhh, maybe. A lot of teams decided to stick with the status quo last offseason due to the impending lockout, so that is why we're seeing a lot of firings this year.

All three of these guys are star coaches and two have Superbowl rings, while Fisher nearly had one. Each one is going to be contacted by teams. Whether or not the coach is interested in that team will be the factor. Cowher will only go to a team where he'll have a lot of control (or can at least bring in his own choice as GM) so Miami and Jacksonville will be out since they're keeping their GMs.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Ehhh, maybe. A lot of teams decided to stick with the status quo last offseason due to the impending lockout, so that is why we're seeing a lot of firings this year.

All three of these guys are star coaches and two have Superbowl rings, while Fisher nearly had one. Each one is going to be contacted by teams. Whether or not the coach is interested in that team will be the factor. Cowher will only go to a team where he'll have a lot of control (or can at least bring in his own choice as GM) so Miami and Jacksonville will be out since they're keeping their GMs.

I think Fisher lands in Miami. I just don't get the impression that Cowher wants to leave his cushy CBS gig, and I'm not sure the right job is going to be offered for Gruden, even though I don't think his new ESPN MNF contract would hold him back in the slightest.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
I think Fisher lands in Miami. I just don't get the impression that Cowher wants to leave his cushy CBS gig, and I'm not sure the right job is going to be offered for Gruden, even though I don't think his new ESPN MNF contract would hold him back in the slightest.

Oh it wouldn't. I remember reading a while back on PFT I think that the "exclusive" part was entirely meaningless when it comes to leaving for a head coaching job.

If he gets the right offer, he'll be back.

Jughead10
12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
While Cowher wants to coach the G-Men, I'm not sure the Mara's would hire him.

Giantsfan1080
12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
While Cowher wants to coach the G-Men, I'm not sure the Mara's would hire him.

I certainly hope that's the case.

K Train
12-15-2011, 09:09 AM
i pray for the team that is in shambles and hands cowher the GM power he craves

Jughead10
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
i pray for the team that is in shambles and hands cowher the GM power he craves

He's not going to go to a team in shambles, if goes anywhere.

Damix
12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Even if TC goes, I don't see any reason Reese would be fired.

diabsoule
12-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I've been thinking about this a bit.

I could definitely see Cowher in either Miami or New York. A potential staff he could assembly could be Todd Haley (OC) or Grimm (OC) and Lou Spinola as DC (current Redskins LB coach, strong ties to Cowher when he was at Pittsburgh).

Fisher is someone I can see in San Diego or Kansas City. Haven't thought about his staff.

Gruden I'm sure about, all depends on how much he wants to get back into it compared against his pay at ESPN and how comfortable he is staying in a career as a broadcaster/analyst with the mothershp

Giantsfan1080
12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind that Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason have stated multiple times that Cowher will not be coaching next year so I doubt he goes anywhere. The only team he would leave for is the Giants at this point.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I've read before that a lot of people think Gruden could be the next John Madden. Gruden is still young by NFL coach standards, like Madden was when he first went into broadcasting and both are well received in that role. (Though Gruden gets on my nerves by shmoozing up to every player and team in the league...except Gabbert...lol...)

If he chose to stay there, he could be a MNF mainstay for decades to come.

I feel like he'll return to coaching though. At least one more gig.

Jughead10
12-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I almost could see Gruden doing MNF for another 5 years and then coaching in college. I don't know why I feel that way. It just seems like a fit to me.

BeerBaron
12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I almost could see Gruden doing MNF for another MNF for another 5 years and then coaching in college. I don't know why I feel that way. It just seems like a fit to me.

Just so it's not Notre Dame. They got pissy about one f-bomb. Gruden averages one every 10 seconds while on the sideline.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I almost could see Gruden doing MNF for another MNF for another 5 years and then coaching in college. I don't know why I feel that way. It just seems like a fit to me.

He was pretty heavily rumored to the U for a while.

ArkyRamsFan
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Very interesting thread.

Some here think that Fisher may be a candidate for the Rams job, but with so many NFL HC jobs opening up the competition for an experienced HC is going to be stout.

Any thoughts on who may end up in the Lou?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I've read if Caldwell is let go Fisher would be our guy if we keep Peyton Manning.

BuddyCHRIST
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I could easily see Cowher going to Jimmy Johnson route and never gets back into coaching. Don't know why but he just seems that way to me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gruden spends another year in the booth, but I think he will coach again.

Fisher will be coaching somewhere next year, seems like a great hire for the Colts.

I really don't think Gruden will go to college, its a completely different game. Being a HC in college is 75% about recruiting and managing your assistants. If he doesn't have the patience for a young QB in the pro's, he will never have patience for the college game. Not just QB's but the sloppiness in execution is pretty apparent when you watch the two.

brat316
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Cowher only wants to coach were he has full control. Good coach but not great at drafting.

shylo3716
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Gruden in Philly!

SickwithIt1010
12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Gruden in Philly!

No............

shylo3716
12-15-2011, 05:56 PM
No............

o_O What do you have against him? I highly doubt Cowher would even consider us.

CashmoneyDrew
12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Fisher will be coaching somewhere next year, seems like a great hire for the Colts.

God I hope so. They'd never win a big game ever again.

Iamcanadian
12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I heard Cowher a few weeks ago say' that there is no way he will return to coaching next season'. If he had any interest, you would think he would put a better face forward, say something like, 'well maybe if the perfect offer came along'.
I take him at his word and I don't expect him to be coaching next season.
Fisher, I have no idea about.

TitanHope
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Fisher could land...anywhere. Seriously. I could see him go anywhere. But, I do think he'd want a franchise QB in place or a chance of drafting his guy early. Why would a highly desired coach want to mess around with rebuilding?

As far as his staff, I'd figure Dave McGinnis would leave TN for Defensive Coordinator/LB Coach/Asst. HC position, and maybe Chuck Cecil to coach DB's. His two premier coordinators aren't options, with Munchak the HC for the Titans and Washburn under contract with Philly.

Still gotta think Jerry Jones would fire Jason Garrett for him.

The Legend
12-16-2011, 01:49 AM
I wonder if Tampa Bay would think about giving Gruden a call to come back to the Buccaneers.

diabsoule
12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I've heard rumors that Fisher could end up in San Diego

Rosebud
12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
If the Giants fail to reach the playoffs, Cowher will be in New York. That's the job he's supposedly been waiting for but pesky Coughlin keeps staying alive.

Gruden goes out of his way on MNF to never badmouth anyone so as not to burn bridges with any potential new team. (Except, hilariously, for Blaine Gabbert.) His biggest problem in Tampa imo was his inability to ever settle on a QB. When he came in, he brought Rob Johnson with him, and drafted Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski and Josh Johnson, and signed Jeff Garcia at one point. I think the best fit for him would be a team with an established QB in place that needs a little kick in the ass. (Chargers?)

Jeff Fisher also sounds like he'll be back. He'll probably be the most pliable of these three you mention, as he likely wont demand personnel control like Cowher and is less abrasive than Gruden.There have been some rumors with the Chiefs, though I think they'll end up with a Patriots tree candidate. Jacksonville is an interesting option, though he's not the "young and cheap" offensive coach they need most. Miami is also another place where Fisher would be a decent fit, since they too are keeping their current GM and Stephen Ross wants a "star" team to make the Dolphins more interesting. Fisher is a definite big name head coach who would fit that.

If Cowher can trick Spags into become his new LeBeau I'm warming to the idea. Let Eli run whatever he wants, Spags handle the D and Cowher just needs to glare at the refs and attack them with his jaw/chin...

shylo3716
12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Something to ponder on... Bucs nees a new HC, which is understandable, but why not hire Cowher and move Morris back to the defensive duties instead of letting him go?

shane_man
12-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Wonder whether with the coaching carousel that will take place this offseason whether Mooch wants to get back into coaching as well...