PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Wright Comparison?

JohnCandy
12-15-2011, 11:03 AM
The top ranked WRs in this draft seem to all be big and most have question marks.

Justin Blackmon [6'1" 210lbs] Spread Production/Routes
Michael Floyd [6'3" 225lbs.] Injuries and DUI
Alshon Jeffery [6'4" 232lbs.] Conditioning/Speed

What are people's opinions of Kendall Wright?

Who would you compare him too?

http://nflsfuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/kendall-wright.jpg

BRAVEHEART
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Poor man's steve smith.

DraftSavant
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Randall Cobb.

FUNBUNCHER
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Younger Santana Moss.

DraftSavant
12-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Younger Santana Moss.

Oooh, I kinda like that one.

keylime_5
12-15-2011, 11:28 AM
he's small and fast and a playmaker. gonna be a lot of steve smith, santonio holmes, santanna moss comparisons. I like the Steve Smith comparison a lot. Strong, compact, blazing speed and is pretty much the only real playmaker on his team's receiving corps yet still puts up ridiculous big play numbers.

ShutDwn
12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
he's small and fast and a playmaker. gonna be a lot of steve smith, santonio holmes, santanna moss comparisons. I like the Steve Smith comparison a lot. Strong, compact, blazing speed and is pretty much the only real playmaker on his team's receiving corps yet still puts up ridiculous big play numbers.

Normally I hate when receivers are compared to Smith simply due to they're size and speed and ignore how physical Smith is with the ball. Wright does actually show a good deal of break tackle ability and lays out for balls the same way as Steve Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than Floyd and I would choose him over Alshon.

JohnCandy
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Normally I hate when receivers are compared to Smith simply due to they're size and speed and ignore how physical Smith is with the ball. Wright does actually show a good deal of break tackle ability and lays out for balls the same way as Steve Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is better than Floyd and I would choose him over Alshon.

What about Mike Wallace? The speed is there and the ability to shake loose deep.

RaiderNation
12-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I've been comparing him to the likes of Mike Wallace of the Steelers, even though Wallace has a solid 2 inches on him. Both are real deep threats down the field and also run good enough routes to contribute in shorter passes. I think Wright has a chance to go in the 25-32 area in the draft, maybe a team like New England who needs to another impact WR takes him with 1 of their 2 1sts.

Rashaan Salaam
12-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Devery Henderson with Better Hands

gpngc
12-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Always Steve Smith. Not only that, I picture him in Carolina blue ALWAYS for some reason. Catching bombs from Newton. 3rd round?

Shane P. Hallam
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Always Steve Smith. Not only that, I picture him in Carolina blue ALWAYS for some reason. Catching bombs from Newton. 3rd round?

Try first round...

Big Bird
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
If he gets out of the Top 50 picks, I'll be shocked.

He is a lot like Titus Young last year, who I compared to Santonio Holmes. Explosive, blazing fast, better route runners than given credit for, mainly due to their quickness in and out of breaks.

Shane P. Hallam
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM

He is a lot like Titus Young last year, who I compared to Santonio Holmes. Explosive, blazing fast, better route runners than given credit for, mainly due to their quickness in and out of breaks.

Yup, I can see early 2nd, but if a team wants a WR late first, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the trigger.

gpngc
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Eh, Randall Cobb fell to that range when he clearly shouldn't have.

Teams generally don't like smaller receivers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 2nd. 1st round, maybe, but I doubt it.

keylime_5
12-15-2011, 01:23 PM

I would choose a LOT of guys over Alshon. He really nosedived this year.

bruschis4all
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Terry Glenn. Google one of Glenn's bombs from Bledsoe. Super Bowl against GB or td against Steelers. Wright is nearly the same size and smoothly gets to top speed just as Glenn did. Even runs with the same gate. Hopefully, he's not as big a wimp as Glenn.

Flyboy
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I honestly see DeSean Jackson when I watch him play..

onejayhawk
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Chris Collingsworth.

J

SchizophrenicBatman
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I like the Terry Glenn comp a lot.

I'll let you guys know when a small WR compares to Steve Smith. I've seen small WRs linked to him every year and it's never a good match. That doesn't stop them from being great players - look at Desean Jackson when he isn't being an idiot/moping - but the series of attributes that make Steve Smith who he is simply aren't likely to show up very often

ElectricEye
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I've never bought the Steve Smith stuff. Very few players at that size have the ability to not let it be a limitation for them. Wright isn't one of those players. Santana Moss isn't a bad name, although Moss was a little bit more solid and faster.

TACKLE
12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I really like him and he easily see him going in the top 20-25. His speed is going to separate him from the other top WR's in this draft and adding a legitimate deep threat could intrigue some teams earlier than some think.

The guy he reminds me a lot of is Santonio Holmes. The way they move and the way they catch the ball is very similar. Shorter guys who are long-striders despite yet still have very good short area quickness, body control and elusiveness. Holmes was 5'10.5 188 and ran a 4.35 at his pro day (which is really like a low 4.4 maybe high 4.3) which all matches up very closely to Kendall. It's mainly their movement and the way the elude tacklers that connected them in my head. Not to mention I believe has the capability of being a Santonio Holmes type player.

g6JCRETcPC0
uHzGuV05Rco

LrSwC2-RBnk
B0Bb1GSHhoc

VkBtsOuM300
["youtube]I can't find a specific clip but I feel as if I've seen Santonio catch the ball just like this on more than one occasion.[/youtube"]

Iamcanadian
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
What about Mike Wallace? The speed is there and the ability to shake loose deep.

I think this is a far more solid comparison. Wright still has a lot to learn about route running so I cannot see the Smith or Holmes comparisons just yet.

rawdawg
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I like the Santonio Holmes and Santana Moss comparisons the most. Those 2 inches that Wallace has on him is a huge difference when talking about 6' vs. 5'10". And Steve Smith is as physical a WR as there has been in the NFL in the last decade. I just don't see that type of strength from Wright.

norcalgsr
12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Only recent WR that best compares to Steve Smith is Jacoby Ford. And Wright is a different kind of WR from Ford.

Big Bird
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Eh, Randall Cobb fell to that range when he clearly shouldn't have.

Teams generally don't like smaller receivers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 2nd. 1st round, maybe, but I doubt it.
Randall Cobb still went 64th, and Titus Young went 44th.

Baylor also says Wright has a 42-inch vertical. That's not too far-fetched given the fact he registered a 40-inch vertical in high school.

If he can do that and clock in the 4.4's, guaranteed early 2nd.

JohnCandy
12-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Randall Cobb still went 64th, and Titus Young went 44th.

Baylor also says Wright has a 42-inch vertical. That's not too far-fetched given the fact he registered a 40-inch vertical in high school.

If he can do that and clock in the 4.4's, guaranteed early 2nd.

I have seen him discussed in the 15-25 range now and many think he has passed Jeffery as the 3rd ranked WR.

With the success of simialr WRs in Greg Jenning and Mike Wallace do we think top 20 is out of the question?

RWills
12-16-2011, 05:34 PM
His 40 speed and vertical will have his stock rise if he produces as expected. But as someone earlier mentioned he is raw in the run route department, something that made Jennings and Holmes that much more.

The Sr Bowl is the perfect place for him to shine, if he has a great week I can see him top 25 easy, especially with that speed.

OT:

I think it was Rob Rang's mock draft that had Still at #5 and Perry at #11 I think. doubtful imo

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Only recent WR that best compares to Steve Smith is Jacoby Ford. And Wright is a different kind of WR from Ford.

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_rg/assets/widget_az1dWo-5PmFBPxty3ogTXv.jpg

Caulibflower
12-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I think the fact that people are throwing out names like Steve Smith, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes and the like give you a pretty good idea of what kind of receiver people think he is. There's never any one comparison, but the idea is that you can expect some physicality and aggression out of him despite his size and people expect him to be a legit deep threat and possibly a no. 1 wideout. Late first/early second round is a pretty consensus value for him.

HorusKing
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Here is one that you guys haven't mentioned Marvin Harrison.

DraftSavant
12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Here is one that you guys haven't mentioned Marvin Harrison.

That one is reserved for a year for Robert Woods.

ellsy82
12-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Holmes is exactly who I saw in this kid. Big time splash-play maker and dependable YAC guy. Similar build and speed. Should be in the top 50, as a previous poster said.

fenikz
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Faster Andre Roberts

JohnCandy
12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Wright seems to be screaming up peoples rankings and I think that the combine is going to be huge for him.

Caulibflower
12-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Everyone seems to be going the Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace route for a Kendall Wright comparison, but I'm going to throw Wes Welker's name into this. I think a team will be able to feed Wright the ball all game. He's certainly a deep threat, but I see that as just another facet of his game; he's got great hands, has all kinds of experience running in a spread offense and runs well with the ball in his hands. He's only had less than 7 catches in a game twice this season, and in both games had 6 catches. I think he can be quite a bit more than a guy you bomb it to a few times a game.

Ravens1991
12-30-2011, 04:12 PM
How does he compare to Torrey Smith as a prospect?

Caulibflower
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Beyond the deep speed, I guess I don't see a whole alike. Torrey's quite a bit bigger, and Wright's got better hands, quickness and is probably a better route runner. But I've seen a lot more of Wright this year than I did Smith last year, so there are definitely better people to answer.

DBNYDP
12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Steve Smith.
He's different then a lot of speed receivers because he's a tough receiver and in that way he really reminds me of Steve Smith. Both are small guys who are tough and have the strength to really make catches in traffic.

I'd think Wright is a superior prospect to Torrey Smith. Torrey Smith is arguably the better deep threat with around the same straightline speed but a bigger frame and better jumping ability. But that being said, Torrey Smith isn't a great route runner and his hands aren't great. Wright runs crisp routes and has great hands. In addition, I think Wright is just better after the catch, he has quickness/wiggle/power that I haven't seen from Smith. I think when you look at Torrey Smith right now, he's a raw and one dimensional. Coming into the league, Wright is going to be a more polished player and is multidimensional. Just my thoughts. I'm a huge fan of Wright and I think he should be a sure fire first rounder, and I think he challenges Michael Floyd for the #2 receiver in this draft just because he's a safer pick but still has really high potential.

PhysicalwithanF
12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Kendall Wright as a Niner please

norcalgsr
12-30-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm sick of the Steve Smith comps. I remember Eddie Royal getting that comp.

bored of education
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I was talking to Jbond about 3 months ago about this guy and I compared him to a guy like Jeremy Maclin. Line up in the slot, in the X or Z, also could line up in the backfield and motion out. He is a guy that can succeed in any offensive scheme. I have him as my number 1b. overall wideout.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Wright>Smith, by a lot.

DBNYDP
12-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm sick of the Steve Smith comps. I remember Eddie Royal getting that comp.
Eddie Royal doesn't have near the same ability to make catches in traffic and he doesn't have the same strength either.

I don't think Harvin a terrible comparison either.

SF Dolphin Fan
12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
What about Mike Wallace? The speed is there and the ability to shake loose deep.That's who immediately comes to mind to me. He absolutely blazes by people and I like how it doesn't take much time for him to get to top speed. Love him as a prospect.

norcalgsr
12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Eddie Royal doesn't have near the same ability to make catches in traffic and he doesn't have the same strength either.

I don't think Harvin a terrible comparison either.

Agree with you there, although Royal did bench 24 reps.

How come no one has compared Wright to Antonio Brown yet. Another small, quick, strong receiver with after the catch skills. He's only a 4.5 guy, but his in-game speed and quickness is impressive. Can play outside, or inside.

http://youtu.be/-AleUaUi850

Even Emmanuel Sanders is the same type of player. And he put up better combine numbers than Brown.

http://youtu.be/RNthxAPLaFw

phlysac
01-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Kendall Wright as a Niner please

It's looking more-and-more ideal by the day.

Caulibflower
01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
It's looking more-and-more ideal by the day.

It does seem like a good landing spot for him. Add some serious speed to that offense in the form of a guy with great hands and route-running... you might even see Crabtree finally explode if you draft Wright. Crabtree, Wright and Vernon Davis is a really solid lineup.

Brown Leader
01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm beginning to think Wright is a top ten pick. If RGIII is the driver of that Baylor offense then Wright was the engine....lil' engine. It might be hard for the Jags, Panthers or Bills to pass. I think he's a tougher version of DeSean Jackson-he can take the top off a defense with speed but can kill you underneath because he's like a RB after the catch.

norcalgsr
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
No way he's a top 10 pick unless he runs a 4.3, 48in vertical, and 11ft broad jump.

DraftSavant
01-05-2012, 02:04 AM
No way he's a top 10 pick unless he runs a 4.3, 48in vertical, and 11ft broad jump.

You never know how teams will stack their boards. Hell, Ted Ginn went 9th, right?

RWills
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
You never know how teams will stack their boards. Hell, Ted Ginn went 9th, right?

Lee Evans
Troy Williamson

natural speed helps a WR, I can see a team like Jax make that pick...they don't care what other boards are, this is the same guy who grabbed Alualu and everyone was scratching their heads. We know Smith likes to draft seniors and have a clean background so you can take Blackmon and Floyd out of the equation.

Wright has a chance to move up between Sr bowl and combine

lod01
01-05-2012, 10:43 AM

You also have to look at what the top teams are doing. In the NFC, other than SF, they are offensive powerhouses. I would expect some GM in the top part of the draft to think he needs someone like Wright to pair with his QB. It is the copycat league.

DraftSavant
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Lee Evans
Troy Williamson

natural speed helps a WR, I can see a team like Jax make that pick...they don't care what other boards are, this is the same guy who grabbed Alualu and everyone was scratching their heads. We know Smith likes to draft seniors and have a clean background so you can take Blackmon and Floyd out of the equation.

Wright has a chance to move up between Sr bowl and combine

This is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for.

Brown Leader
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Anyone else thinking Wright might move ahead of Blackmon after the combine? I don't recall the link but I read about a scout calling Wright, "a bigger version of Steve Smith". Well now.

PoopSandwich
02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Would be sick if Cleveland could land Griffin and him, that is all.

GaMeTiMe
02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Anyone else thinking Wright might move ahead of Blackmon after the combine? I don't recall the link but I read about a scout calling Wright, "a bigger version of Steve Smith". Well now.

I honestly think it's a foregone conclusion at this point and even if Wright runs a .01 better 40 than Blackmon he will probably at least be considered neck-and-neck. I think a lot of us expect Wright to time faster and are pretty much just waiting to appoint him the #1 receiver in the class whether we admit it or not, or if we haven't already. Floyd also has a good chance to be even with Blackmon (but not quite with Wright, at their ceilings IMO) when it's all said and done, if he shows up 100% we'll probably be talking about the top-3 at WR and where they'll go in the top-15, maybe even top-12. A lot of people have Floyd in that 16-20 range right now..

ATLDirtyBirds
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I rotate almost daily on who I like better.

TACKLE
02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I rotate almost daily on who I like better.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat but have a slight lean towards Kendall at the moment. Both guys have about a tenth of a forty range - Blackmon (4.45-4.55) and Kendall (4.45-4.35). I'd be lying if I said their forties won't influence me one way or the other.

Caulibflower
02-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I expect them to be at opposite extremes of that spectrum. Blackmon plays plenty fast enough, but I don't feel like he's going to have track speed. Wright, on the other hand, I think is legitimately one of the fastest guys in college football; he just keeps gaining speed.

AntoinCD
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I honestly think it's a foregone conclusion at this point and even if Wright runs a .01 better 40 than Blackmon he will probably at least be considered neck-and-neck. I think a lot of us expect Wright to time faster and are pretty much just waiting to appoint him the #1 receiver in the class whether we admit it or not, or if we haven't already. Floyd also has a good chance to be even with Blackmon (but not quite with Wright, at their ceilings IMO) when it's all said and done, if he shows up 100% we'll probably be talking about the top-3 at WR and where they'll go in the top-15, maybe even top-12. A lot of people have Floyd in that 16-20 range right now..

I have both Wright and Floyd ahead of Blackmon in my personal rankings and in my last mock had Kendall Wright taken above Blackmon.

Wright is going to blow up the combine. He is at very worst 4.40 IMO but will probably be in the 4.3s and plays just as fast on the field. Blackmon plays fast enough on the field but nothing he does strikes me as "special".

Floyd isn't going to go ahead of Blackmon based on off the field issues and interviews will be huge for him. But as a player I like him more than Blackmon.

As for Kendall Wright comparison;

I think he is a cross between Mike Wallace, Desean Jackson and Santonio Holmes

Razor
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
I really don't think there's any rational reason to have Wright rated higher than Blackmon at this point. Blackmon has produced at a very high level for the past two seasons right now, often against double coverage. He has the strength to break tackles in the NFL and sufficient speed to make big plays. I think the bust risk is significantly lower for Blackmon than Wright. Wright does have insane upside, but I think there are some flaws to his game that will need to be corrected. Blackmon is much more developed as a route runner and displays much stronger hands than Wright.

4U2NV
02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
This is becoming crazy. The Kendall Wright hypetrain is out of control. I think he's a great prospect but I think people are seriously underrating Blackmon by saying that Wright is the better prospect. Why? Because he can run a bit faster? Blackmon may be slower but he's a vastly superior physical player than Wright is which is just as important a trait to possess at that position. The Steve Smith comparisons are mind-boggling because Wright isn't as physical as Smith was/is in his prime. Yes he's capable of taking the top off a Defence and can be lineup anywhere on the field, but Blackmon is still a very good prospect that has the size, work ethic, talent and track record to be the class of the WRs this year. If you want to debate his worth as a top 10 pick that's one thing, but to say that he's behind Wright is wrong IMO.

brat316
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
at 5'10 190, I think he can add more weight get to 200. 205. He can be more thicker.

My only fear is that he produce like crazy this year, but what happened last year?

Good thing his avg was always above 11.

brat316
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
You guys can not be serious about Wright over Blackmon?

So what if he runs the 40 faster than Blackmon in shorts. There is no denying Blackmon's talent on the field is better than Wright. He might not offer elite speed, but everything else Blackmon takes the cake.

Combine numbers should be used just to back up the evidence on game tape already. But both have different game.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
After watching those youtube clips, I kind of see a young Torry Holt in him.

Caulibflower
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
It's kind of like asking if you'd rather have Mike Wallace or Hakeem Nicks. Their value to teams is going to depend on what those teams have already. It's not like you can just pick one and then declare everyone else an idiot if they prefer the other. Clearly different playing styles, and when comparing prime apples to prime oranges your preference generally is based off of what you've already got in the salad.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I can see both going top 12-15.

I don't think he will, but if Wright managed to run a sub 4.35 at 190-195# and has measurables that make scouts think he's just a 'short' WR instead of small, I can see him challenging Blackmon for draft position.

On ESPN's Sports Science, they noted Blackmon's 31 inch vert when breaking down his catch radius. I know he was wearing pads and his vert jump wasn't tested under ideal conditions, but if he puts up a similar number at the combine along with a pedestrian 40, I don't see why it's hard to believe that Kendall Wright could be drafted ahead of him.

norcalgsr
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
This is becoming crazy. The Kendall Wright hypetrain is out of control. I think he's a great prospect but I think people are seriously underrating Blackmon by saying that Wright is the better prospect. Why? Because he can run a bit faster? Blackmon may be slower but he's a vastly superior physical player than Wright is which is just as important a trait to possess at that position. The Steve Smith comparisons are mind-boggling because Wright isn't as physical as Smith was/is in his prime. Yes he's capable of taking the top off a Defence and can be lineup anywhere on the field, but Blackmon is still a very good prospect that has the size, work ethic, talent and track record to be the class of the WRs this year. If you want to debate his worth as a top 10 pick that's one thing, but to say that he's behind Wright is wrong IMO.

Agree with everything here.

brat316
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I can see both going top 12-15.

I don't think he will, but if Wright managed to run a sub 4.35 at 190-195# and has measurables that make scouts think he's just a 'short' WR instead of small, I can see him challenging Blackmon for draft position.

On ESPN's Sports Science, they noted Blackmon's 31 inch vert when breaking down his catch radius. I know he was wearing pads and his vert jump wasn't tested under ideal conditions, but if he puts up a similar number at the combine along with a pedestrian 40, I don't see why it's hard to believe that Kendall Wright could be drafted ahead of him.

they also noted that he has a higher catching radius the Plax.

PoopSandwich
02-21-2012, 09:39 PM
People are so obsessed with measurables it's disgusting. Why don't we just put players forty times vertical jumps and muscle mass into a computer and simulate the games instead of just playing them at this point, because ability playing the game seemingly has no impact on about half of peoples opinions these days.

Caulibflower
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
People are so obsessed with measurables it's disgusting. Why don't we just put players forty times vertical jumps and muscle mass into a computer and simulate the games instead of just playing them at this point, because ability playing the game seemingly has no impact on about half of peoples opinions these days.

This is a good idea. It would cut down on injuries, too. +rep

brat316
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM

i think its more of a backup to what they see on film. If you see a guy blazing by everyone on game, you time him you get something. When he runs in shorts he runs something you expect. Now the opposite side, you have a guy on film looking good, but not a burner, he comes in and kills the 40, now you wonder what the hell?

Most scouts, GM, coaches, just use it for a simple tool, some don't. It might help in rankings say you have 2 similar WRs ranked about the same, the numbers might help a bit and ranking 1 over the other. Where else are you going to get everyone to execute events with same circumstances.

Everyone is expecting the players to do good, they have had 2 months to perfect the drills and get in shape. This is not like when the combine came out and everyone did it raw. If you come there out of shape the red flags go up.

Pro day is another tool like the combine. Qb have rehearsed all the throws with their ideal WRs. If they have bad or poor throws, that raises some flags.

PoopSandwich
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
My whole point is that Blackmon is a gamer, he's a baller, he's a play maker, and a shot caller.

Er...

I'm saying he's good and you shouldn't really need the combine to see that. Obviously it would be nice if he put up freakish numbers, but who cares? Look at Jerry Rice, never had the best speed jumping ability or strength but he knew how to play.

FUNBUNCHER
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
IMO Kendall Wright was the best WR in the Big 12 last season. No he didn't produce for three years at this level, but neither did RGIII.

I haven't studied his play enough to pick out his weaknesses, but I do have a good feel for those things he's does well. Maybe Blackmon has looked better for a longer period of time in college, but Wright looks like an impact player early on in his pro career, like Torrey Smith for the Ravens.

People act like it's crazy talk for Wright to go before Blackmon.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 11:32 PM
My whole point is that Blackmon is a gamer, he's a baller, he's a play maker, and a shot caller.

Er...

I'm saying he's good and you shouldn't really need the combine to see that. Obviously it would be nice if he put up freakish numbers, but who cares? Look at Jerry Rice, never had the best speed jumping ability or strength but he knew how to play.

If it was all about how a guy looked on the field and how productive he was then the number one pick every year would be a running back from Division II. I think the Combine is simply a way for scouts to bring into perspective what they have seen on tape. Is this guy really that fast, or is the defender he just burned 3 times a total stiff? He looks really good mauling his opponent...is he really strong or is that guy a total puss? I think it would be foolish to use it exclusively, but also to completely discard it.

PoopSandwich
02-22-2012, 01:19 AM
If it was all about how a guy looked on the field and how productive he was then the number one pick every year would be a running back from Division II. I think the Combine is simply a way for scouts to bring into perspective what they have seen on tape. Is this guy really that fast, or is the defender he just burned 3 times a total stiff? He looks really good mauling his opponent...is he really strong or is that guy a total puss? I think it would be foolish to use it exclusively, but also to completely discard it.

Yes because Blackmon blowing up in Division 1 against premier competition on a regular basis is the same as a division two running back.

RaiderNation
02-22-2012, 01:29 AM
I still think Mike Wallace is a good comparison for Wright. His stock right now could be as high at 7 to Jacksonville, and could fall potentially to 19 to the Bears since they really need a #1 WR for Cutler. Wright won't put up 100 rec., but will be a good deep threat that will make the defense open up a lot more in the middle.

AntoinCD
02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
My reasoning for having Wright over Blackmon is simply I don't see any elite traits in Blackmon. I think he will be a very good WR in the NFL. He kinda reminds me of a cross between Greg Jennings and Anquan Boldin. But saying he is a amazing because he produced in a simplified offense in the big 12 just doesn't wow me.

Blackmon has very good hands, very good body control, very good playing speed, he is a good route runner, he is very good with the ball in his hands. I just don't think anything he does is elite.

Wright on the other hand is elite with the ball in his hands, he runs away from defenders (while wearing pads, not just on a running track), he goes up to get the ball at its peak.

I agree with the people who have said that the bust potential is higher with Wright than Blackmon. Blackmon is a safer prospect but I just don't see how he is going to become a star in the NFL.

bitonti
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
If Wright was healthy and dominated the Senior Bowl we could have this conversation. As it stands he needs to firm up his stock. Missing the SB hurt his stock.

Also want to talk about freakish numbers, how about 40 TD in 38 games? how about winning 2 Bilitnikoff trophies in 3 years? Blackmon is an extremely productive player. Poor man's Larry Fitz. Combine numbers won't matter for him as much, just as they didn't matter as much for Dez Bryant or Michael Crabtree.

fear the elf
04-05-2012, 08:18 AM
I couldn't find a more recent thread, but I didn't want to start my own...

Since a lot of people are mocking Wright to the Browns, I've been a little worried since the reports of only managing four reps on the bench. Then, when doing a little light reading, I came across this

04/03/2012 - NFL DRAFT CONCERNS: WR Kendall Wright, Baylor: I worry about natural IQ levels less at wide receiver (and cornerback) than at any other positions so I don't worry that a poor showing in this test could push Wright (or Claiborne, for that matter) down the board. Like Brockers, Wright struggled with some multi-tiered questions at the Combine and didn't help his cause during interviews. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

cbssports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632385)

With all of these little red flags, it begins to make me wonder if the inexplicable combine 40 time was due to lack of preparation. Maybe that's not fair, but it has now crossed my mind due to the other "problems."

So, with all of that said, I'm not sure if he's worth the Browns taking at #22. Can someone convince me otherwise???

[/:freakout: ]

FUNBUNCHER
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
If Wright could manage to survive his academic workload at Baylor, IMO he can handle an NFL playbook.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-05-2012, 08:55 AM
So, with all of that said, I'm not sure if he's worth the Browns taking at #22. Can someone convince me otherwise???

[/:freakout: ]

He's a really good WR and great value at 22. That's all you need to know.

mstrac141
02-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Hi, I not much know about that players. I rear saw the match. It was a nice that people give his opinions. I don't have any opinion now. I could not compare anyone.

Monomach
02-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi, I not much know about that players. I rear saw the match. It was a nice that people give his opinions. I don't have any opinion now. I could not compare anyone.

This is pro analysis. +rep.