PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Destinations for Peyton Manning

JBCX
12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
There is an interesting article on grantland.com which handicaps the possible destinations for Peyton Manning in 2012:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12339/the-possible-destinations-for-one-peyton-manning

They list the 49ers and (shockingly) the Cowboys as the top two destinations. The rationale is that both teams have the pieces in place to dominate in every phase of the game but are held back by their current QBs. I definitely agree that the 49ers would be the perfect fit for him, because of their tough defense and playmakers on offense (Davis, Crabtree, Gore, etc), and because Manning on that team would ensure a #1 or #2 seed every year in that division.

What would be the best destinations (most likely to earn Manning another Super Bowl ring and finish his career out on top) and conversely, which would be the most likely destinations?

Pat Sims 90
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
The Jets maybe

Complex
12-15-2011, 10:45 PM
The Ravens if Joe Flacco plays like he usually plays in the playoffs plus he is a FA after this season. Now watch Joe light it up in the playoffs :(.

SickwithIt1010
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
The Jets maybe

Thats the team I've thought of the most.

BaLLiN
12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I can't see him with any other team besides the dolphins. I do feel like Jets, Seahawks, 49ers, and Ravens are legit destinations though.

Jvig43
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Well now we all know Manning wont be going anywhere at the end of the year.

coordinator0
12-15-2011, 11:36 PM
The Ravens if Joe Flacco plays like he usually plays in the playoffs plus he is a FA after this season. Now watch Joe light it up in the playoffs :(.

Flacco isn't a FA until 2013. I highly doubt Baltimore is a potential landing spot for Manning. If he was a FA then maybe, but I don't think Ozzie is the type to resort to desperate/expensive actions.

fenikz
12-15-2011, 11:44 PM
If he can pass a physical I'd welcome him in AZ, Manning to Fitz for the rest of his career

CashmoneyDrew
12-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Jets would be interesting. That's where he would have been drafted had he came out as a junior.

If the Titans hadn't drafted Locker I'd say us. He'd also simultaneously be voted governor of the state upon his return.

Brodeur
12-16-2011, 12:45 AM
How in the holy **** are Carson Palmer and Matt Ryan franchise QBs, but Matt Stafford isn't yet? **** that.

Sloopy
12-16-2011, 07:34 AM
How in the holy **** are Carson Palmer and Matt Ryan franchise QBs, but Matt Stafford isn't yet? **** that.

I thought the same thing when the Ravens weren't on the list of teams with young QB's who they are dedicated to for the next year or so...

TitleTown088
12-16-2011, 07:45 AM

None of them are. :)

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Ohhhhhh man but Jay Cutler is listed! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!! Someone else finally admits that Jay Cutler is a franchise QB!! YES YES YES YES!!

Making fun of the Lions aside...

The Cowboys? No. Tony Romo gets some of the most undeserved hate....ever. Dallas as an organization is a perfect storm of suck, but Tony Romo is by a wide margin the least of their problems there.

They have a meddling owner/GM, a head coach who is an idiot for an Ivy League genius, and a general aura of suck that finds a way to bring them down each and every year.

But a Romo to Peyton transition...no. I don't view that as an upgrade even in the short term, and definitely not in the long term.

You can start this whole thing off right away by throwing out teams who have (or, at least, they THINK they have) a franchise QB.

So immediate no's to:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
Dallas (imo, as explained above)
NYG
Philly
The entire NFC South
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cincinnati
New England
NYJ (Definite case of the team believing they have a franchise QB)
Houston
San Diego
Oakland (another case where the team believes it at least)
Denver (stuck with Tebow for better or worse)

And then you can also take out the teams who've recently drafted youngsters and aren't in any shape to compete right away anyway:
St. Louis
Minnesota
Tennessee
Jacksonville (??? Far more likely they look into another rookie if they move on from Gabbert at all)

So what are we left with? Well, we need to find teams that Manning would be willing to go to (Have the cap room and willingness to pay him and are a "good enough" team for Peyton to be willing to go to.)

Washington: DEFINITE possibility. In my opinion, they have the best chance of all. Dan Snyder throws around more money this side of the Yankees and he is always in a "win now" mode. The Shanahans are likely on thin ice (no coach other than Joe Gibbs has lasted longer than 2 years since Snyder bought the team) and Peyton plus their not-bad defense would put them into definite playoff consideration. And it doesn't hurt that they lack anyone else worth a damn at QB on the roster. Peyton's interest in them would probably be luke-warm, but they're certainly not the worst team in the world and that division is overrated.

Seattle: My #2 spot. They're making a late season playoff push right now with Tarvaris freaking Jackson at QB. Peyton would absolutely kick them up a notch. They also have money to spend (mega billionaire owner) and Pete Carroll seems like he has the right personality for a Peyton Manning head coach. (IE, just stay out of his way and let him run the offense.) Throw in some talent on offense that'll be healthy next year (youngsters on the o-line, Sidney Rice, Beast Mode, etc.) and a defense that isn't too bad and Peyton could make this team a real playoff contender.

San Fran: I don't see it happening. I think they resign Alex Smith. He'll be cheaper and hasn't been that bad in that offense this year. Additionally, I think Harbaugh's personality could conflict a bit with Manning's. I don't buy this one.

Arizona: They did just invest quite a bit in Kevin Kolb, and probably want to roll with him another year. Not out of the question though...and would Peyton want to play there? Eh...it's a maybe. I don't feel too strongly about it though.

Cleveland: Not a good enough team, likely unwilling to spend what it would take to rent an aging Manning for a few years...I don't see this one. And with two first rounders, I think they're far more likely to go the rookie route.

Buffalo: Fitzpatrick has crashed back down to earth in a big way. They may want to give him another year though. And would Peyton be interested in going to Buffalo? Not so sure....I doubt this one.

Miami: Probably my #3 possibility. Stephen Ross wants a Superstar team and will have a new head coach next year. He could try to make a splash with Peyton.

Indy: He could just stay there...but that's boring and not fun to discuss.

Chiefs: It wouldn't be completely out of the question. Their defense is playing reasonably well and when healthy, they have talent on offense. Even an aging Peyton would certainly upgrade Cassel....darkhorse candidate perhaps.

killxswitch
12-16-2011, 08:40 AM
If he's healthy, he'll stay with the Colts. If he's not, the number of teams interested probably won't be very high.

jrdrylie
12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
None of them are. :)

Matt Ryan is a franchise QB. Before he got there, they had never had back-to-back winning season. With him, they now have four straight. The argument I have heard against him is that he isn't great in the playoffs. Yeah, he doesn't have a playoff win yet, but his rookie year he was going against a borderline Hall of Famer in Kurt Warner and the Cardinals who almost won the Super Bowl that year. Last year, he lost to the Packers in the playoffs.

I just don't understand the Matt Ryan hate. Sure, he isn't Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, or Rodgers. But he is a very good QB, definitely in the second tier behind those five guys. Not quite in the elite tier, but definitely in the Pro Bowl level tier.

Smooth Criminal
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I've been thinking Arizona, Kansas City, and Minnesota as possibilities. I think San Fran will stick with Smith after this year and Dallas seems commited to Romo for some reason.

Jets would be ridiculously interesting to watch.

jrdrylie
12-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I've been thinking Arizona, Kansas City, and Minnesota as possibilities. I think San Fran will stick with Smith after this year and Dallas seems commited to Romo for some reason.

Jets would be ridiculously interesting to watch.

Maybe because finding even an average quarterback is difficult. Romo is a very good QB. He ranks in the 6-10 range. He gets a bunch of crap as being unclutch. But that almost entirely stems from that fumbled snap on the field goal a few years ago. The truth is he has 13 4th quarter comebacks. He has also led the Cowboys to a point where they could be 9-4 and in complete control of the division. Instead, his kicker and coach screwed up two games in a row and cost him a win.

Fans seem to think that if you aren't Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, you suck and should be replaced. If they brought in a new QB, even one as good as a healthy Peyton Manning, I think they would implode. The players would be so pissed that the kicked a very good Tony Romo to the curb that team chemistry would go down the toilet and they'd have a season similar to the Eagles this season.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I also think it's funny how people want the Cowboys to dump Romo for being unclutch....

Well Peyton isn't exactly Joe Montana in big games either.

killxswitch
12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I also think it's funny how people want the Cowboys to dump Romo for being unclutch....

Well Peyton isn't exactly Joe Montana in big games either.

Yeah, that's the reason people would want Manning over Romo. Clutchness. "Clutch" is the dumbest supposed metric people use to grade out a player. Because it's not a metric. You can't quantify it. It's all based on opinion and feelings.

Basically clutch = "I've already made up my mind that this guy is good when the chips are down and it doesn't matter how many times he has screwed up since then, I'm not changing my stance".

Not-clutch = "I've already made up my mind that this guy chokes when the chips are down and it doesn't matter how many 4th Q comebacks he's made since then, I'm not changing my stance."

Bulldogs
12-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Not to derail the thread here, but explain to me why you would even mention Matt Ryan and Carson Palmer in the same breath. Btw, I'm with you on Palmer, but no question in my mind is Matt Ryan a franchise QB.

vidae
12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I'd be fine with Peyton in KC.. as long as we drafted someone to be the future when he retires.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd be fine with Peyton in KC.. as long as we drafted someone to be the future when he retires.

Chiefs....draft....their own....QB....

Sorry vidae, but those words don't go together.

jrdrylie
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM

Ricky Stanzi!!!!

vidae
12-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Chiefs....draft....their own....QB....

Sorry vidae, but those words don't go together.

Ricky Stanzi!!!!

You both make me so sad.

DraftSavant
12-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I would take Peyton Manning to end the Blaine Gabbert experience.

That hurt a hell of a lot less than I thought it would. This is how much I dislike Blaine Gabbert.

Paul
12-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Who ever wrote the article is a ******* moron.

Complex
12-16-2011, 12:22 PM

Cause Matt Ryan has done more and Palmer IDK I guess because they traded like 2 first rounders for him.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Also, a lot of people think for some reason that this is 2005 Carson Palmer still. Like 2006-2010 just didn't happen. And those people haven't watched him at all this year.

ATLDirtyBirds
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I just don't understand the Matt Ryan hate. Sure, he isn't Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, or Rodgers. But he is a very good QB, definitely in the second tier behind those five guys. Not quite in the elite tier, but definitely in the Pro Bowl level tier.

I think the hate comes from the fact that it was constantly talked about by every analyst how he was supposed to be Manning/Brady after his rookie season, and he's just never progressed to that level.

Unfortunately that's what's going to happen.

Bulldogs
12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I think the hate comes from the fact that it was constantly talked about by every analyst how he was supposed to be Manning/Brady after his rookie season, and he's just never progressed to that level.

Unfortunately that's what's going to happen.

**** analysts. He's been a top 10 QB for the past two seasons.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 01:25 PM
**** analysts. He's been a top 10 QB for the past two seasons.

Here we are with this "My QB is in the top 10" stuff again. I swear there are about 15-16 QBs people call "Top 10 QBs." This isn't directed at you, but it gets annoying. Like people who keep saying that Alex Smith is a top 10 QB.

Ryan would probably be right around 10 in my rankings.

Bulldogs
12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Here we are with this "My QB is in the top 10" stuff again. I swear there are about 15-16 QBs people call "Top 10 QBs." This isn't directed at you, but it gets annoying. Like people who keep saying that Alex Smith is a top 10 QB.

I don't want to bring the Alex Smith discussion over here but I've left my thoughts on him in the other thread. I mean, it's what you expect a fan with a good QB to do, I've seen you do the same with Jay Cutler. This should all probably be in a whole different thread.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't want to bring the Alex Smith discussion over her but I've left my thoughts on him in the other thread. I mean, it's what you expect a fan with a good QB to do, I've seen you do the same with Jay Cutler. This should all probably be in a whole different thread.

Cutler IS a top 10 QB though. This is not a homer statement. For him to do what he does with the surrounding cast is quite deserving of an 8 or 9 spot.

The guy gets absolutely zero respect because people have his first year as a Bear stuck in their head.

Now I'm rage fueled.......

Bulldogs
12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Cutler IS a top 10 QB though. This is not a homer statement. For him to do what he does with the surrounding cast is quite deserving of an 8 or 9 spot.

The guy gets absolutely zero respect because people have his first year as a Bear stuck in their head.

Now I'm rage fueled.......

And what I'm saying is that Ryan IS a top 10 QB. We both see our guys do each weekend and obviously have different opinions. There is nothing different between the two of us making our statements. It's not something ridiculous like Josh Freeman or Tim Tebow is a top 10 QB. I have a ton of respect for Cutler, especially earlier in the season, I believe it was the first Detroit game, when he was evading defenders left and right and still hitting passes on the money. I know it's been done a million times but we should probably make a separate thread for this, we could have a solid debate.

DraftSavant
12-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Remember that conversation we had in the NBA discussion thread?

OSUGiants17
12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Washington or KC I'm calling it now.

BeerBaron
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Remember that conversation we had in the NBA discussion thread?

QB is the position I'd make an exception there for. If that is what you're getting at.

It's a unique position in all sports though.

Rosebud
12-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd kinda love to see him on the Cowboys. Giants/Cowboys games would be epic if we got spags back to replace Fewell.

Rosebud
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah, that's the reason people would want Manning over Romo. Clutchness. "Clutch" is the dumbest supposed metric people use to grade out a player. Because it's not a metric. You can't quantify it. It's all based on opinion and feelings.

Basically clutch = "I've already made up my mind that this guy is good when the chips are down and it doesn't matter how many times he has screwed up since then, I'm not changing my stance".

Not-clutch = "I've already made up my mind that this guy chokes when the chips are down and it doesn't matter how many 4th Q comebacks he's made since then, I'm not changing my stance."

Guys like Big Ben, Brady and Eli are "clutch". Sure every guy loses some games he had a chance to win and vice versa, but some for some guys that ratio swings further from average, for some guys that means that they lose more games they had a chance to win and for some guys like the three I mentioned it means that if given a chance to win they pull of the win more than the average QB. If you don't want to call that clutch then that's fine I guess, but we'll have to come up with another word for it.

Rosebud
12-16-2011, 06:52 PM
And what I'm saying is that Ryan IS a top 10 QB. We both see our guys do each weekend and obviously have different opinions. There is nothing different between the two of us making our statements. It's not something ridiculous like Josh Freeman or Tim Tebow is a top 10 QB. I have a ton of respect for Cutler, especially earlier in the season, I believe it was the first Detroit game, when he was evading defenders left and right and still hitting passes on the money. I know it's been done a million times but we should probably make a separate thread for this, we could have a solid debate.

I guess you're right. I only have 8 guys I'd say are definitely top 10:
Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Eli, Big Ben, Cutler, Rivers. (No real order, although there's a step between the first 4 and the later 4)

After that there's a lot of QB's that have a case for being in the top 10:
Romo, Stafford, Vick, Schaub, Flacco, Ryan, Alex Smith(?) (again no real order really since they're all so close and it changes from year to year.

And these 3 kids have flashed enough for me to believe the can develop their arguments for inclusion in that top 10 within the next couple of years:
Newton, Freeman, Bradford

Philliez01
12-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Ohhhhhh man but Jay Cutler is listed! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!! Someone else finally admits that Jay Cutler is a franchise QB!! YES YES YES YES!!

The Cowboys? No. Tony Romo gets some of the most undeserved hate....ever. Dallas as an organization is a perfect storm of suck, but Tony Romo is by a wide margin the least of their problems there.

They have a meddling owner/GM, a head coach who is an idiot for an Ivy League genius, and a general aura of suck that finds a way to bring them down each and every year.

But a Romo to Peyton transition...no. I don't view that as an upgrade even in the short term, and definitely not in the long term.

You can start this whole thing off right away by throwing out teams who have (or, at least, they THINK they have) a franchise QB.

So immediate no's to:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
NYG
Philly
The entire NFC South
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cincinnati
New England
Houston
San Diego

And then you can also take out the teams who've recently drafted youngsters and aren't in any shape to compete right away anyway:
St. Louis
Minnesota
Tennessee
Jacksonville (??? Far more likely they look into another rookie if they move on from Gabbert at all)

So what are we left with? Well, we need to find teams that Manning would be willing to go to (Have the cap room and willingness to pay him and are a "good enough" team for Peyton to be willing to go to.)

Washington: DEFINITE possibility. In my opinion, they have the best chance of all. Dan Snyder throws around more money this side of the Yankees and he is always in a "win now" mode. The Shanahans are likely on thin ice (no coach other than Joe Gibbs has lasted longer than 2 years since Snyder bought the team) and Peyton plus their not-bad defense would put them into definite playoff consideration. And it doesn't hurt that they lack anyone else worth a damn at QB on the roster. Peyton's interest in them would probably be luke-warm, but they're certainly not the worst team in the world and that division is overrated.

Seattle: My #2 spot. They're making a late season playoff push right now with Tarvaris freaking Jackson at QB. Peyton would absolutely kick them up a notch. They also have money to spend (mega billionaire owner) and Pete Carroll seems like he has the right personality for a Peyton Manning head coach. (IE, just stay out of his way and let him run the offense.) Throw in some talent on offense that'll be healthy next year (youngsters on the o-line, Sidney Rice, Beast Mode, etc.) and a defense that isn't too bad and Peyton could make this team a real playoff contender.

San Fran: I don't see it happening. I think they resign Alex Smith. He'll be cheaper and hasn't been that bad in that offense this year. Additionally, I think Harbaugh's personality could conflict a bit with Manning's. I don't buy this one.

Arizona: They did just invest quite a bit in Kevin Kolb, and probably want to roll with him another year. Not out of the question though...and would Peyton want to play there? Eh...it's a maybe. I don't feel too strongly about it though.

Cleveland: Not a good enough team, likely unwilling to spend what it would take to rent an aging Manning for a few years...I don't see this one. And with two first rounders, I think they're far more likely to go the rookie route.

Buffalo: Fitzpatrick has crashed back down to earth in a big way. They may want to give him another year though. And would Peyton be interested in going to Buffalo? Not so sure....I doubt this one.

Miami: Probably my #3 possibility. Stephen Ross wants a Superstar team and will have a new head coach next year. He could try to make a splash with Peyton.

Chiefs: It wouldn't be completely out of the question. Their defense is playing reasonably well and when healthy, they have talent on offense. Even an aging Peyton would certainly upgrade Cassel....darkhorse candidate perhaps.

I'm immensely impressed you didn't mention Bill Polian in this.

SuperMcGee
12-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Fitzpatrick definitely lives with the regime another year. Hard to see it any other way. Your second point is also spot on, unfortunately.

Larry
12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Peyton Manning with Gore, Vernon Davis and that Niner defense would be scary.

dan77733
12-16-2011, 09:56 PM
As a 49ers fan, I wouldnt say that Smith is a top 10 QB but I would take Smith in Harbaugh's offense over Fitzpatrick, Tebow, McCoy, Freeman, Kolb, Cassel, Moore, Vick (yeah, I know but I hate Vick), Gabbert, Sanchez, Newton, Palmer, Grossman, Jackson, Hasselbeck and Ponder in their respective offensive schemes.

Basically, I would rate Smith as being in the top 16. He's finally playing good and making few mistakes. Play-calling is still bad at times and the recievers havent helped him as much as they should be. Edwards is a waste. Crabtree shows flashes here and there. Davis is the best receiving option but even he drops wide open right in the chest passes. Smith would probably have 20 passing TD's if you add in the drops his receivers have had in the endzone or on passes to the receivers who would have had a clear run for the endzone.

Personally, I think that Smith re-signs with SF and I do believe that he can finally be a 30 TD a season QB because he finally has an offensive minded HC who best of all, played QB. The play-calling needs to get better especially in the redzone because scoring FG's isnt going to cut it in the playoffs. Hell, it couldnt even get the job done against Skelton who was sacked twice and had three turnovers. UGH.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, the 49ers need a playmaking deep threat at WR opposite Crabtree and then fix the OL because despite there being THREE first rounders, a veteran FA center and a third rounder at RG, they're average at best. They all get pushed back way too easy and way too many times.

Also, Harbaugh/Roman needs to call more three step drops with slants and crossing patterns because they work but then, they stop calling those plays. Makes no sense.

On topic - I see Manning going to the Cowboys if Jones fires Garrett and hires a Cowher, Fisher, etc. If you're going to hire a high profile HC, mine as well sign a high profile QB to go along with him.

The Alex
12-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Who ever wrote the article is a ******* moron.

Agreed.

"Does your team already have Tim Tebow?"

Is this dude really implying that Tim Tebow is a better quarterback option next year than Peyton Manning? REALLY?

falloutboy14
12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
I think he's trying to make the point that Denver is tied to Tebow for the short term, in the way that many other teams with actual QBs are tied to their QB.

PoopSandwich
12-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I really dont think the Cowboys are held back by Romo.

JBCX
12-18-2011, 12:08 PM
As a 49ers fan, I wouldnt say that Smith is a top 10 QB but I would take Smith in Harbaugh's offense over Fitzpatrick, Tebow, McCoy, Freeman, Kolb, Cassel, Moore, Vick (yeah, I know but I hate Vick), Gabbert, Sanchez, Newton, Palmer, Grossman, Jackson, Hasselbeck and Ponder in their respective offensive schemes.

Basically, I would rate Smith as being in the top 16. He's finally playing good and making few mistakes. Play-calling is still bad at times and the recievers havent helped him as much as they should be. Edwards is a waste. Crabtree shows flashes here and there. Davis is the best receiving option but even he drops wide open right in the chest passes. Smith would probably have 20 passing TD's if you add in the drops his receivers have had in the endzone or on passes to the receivers who would have had a clear run for the endzone.

Personally, I think that Smith re-signs with SF and I do believe that he can finally be a 30 TD a season QB because he finally has an offensive minded HC who best of all, played QB. The play-calling needs to get better especially in the redzone because scoring FG's isnt going to cut it in the playoffs. Hell, it couldnt even get the job done against Skelton who was sacked twice and had three turnovers. UGH.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, the 49ers need a playmaking deep threat at WR opposite Crabtree and then fix the OL because despite there being THREE first rounders, a veteran FA center and a third rounder at RG, they're average at best. They all get pushed back way too easy and way too many times.

Also, Harbaugh/Roman needs to call more three step drops with slants and crossing patterns because they work but then, they stop calling those plays. Makes no sense.

On topic - I see Manning going to the Cowboys if Jones fires Garrett and hires a Cowher, Fisher, etc. If you're going to hire a high profile HC, mine as well sign a high profile QB to go along with him.

The 49ers are never winning a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. I don't care how good the defense is, Smith is just not good enough to take the next step. He's a game manager at best.

BeerBaron
12-18-2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82527c8d/article/colts-exec-polian-says-qb-manning-will-not-play-this-season?module=HP11_breaking_news

Well, Manning officially won't play this year. Not really a surprise, but it is official.

Saints-Tigers
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
But he is throwing with pads.... nice :D

BeerBaron
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
But he is throwing with pads.... nice :D

The theory is that is exactly what the Colts were waiting for.

They wanted to see him actually throw some in pads to see if he could. That will help them in their decision of what to do with him when his huge bonus comes up prior to the beginning of the next league year.

shylo3716
12-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I would take Peyton Manning to end the Blaine Gabbert experience.

That hurt a hell of a lot less than I thought it would. This is how much I dislike Blaine Gabbert.

He would make a retirement announcement before he would join the Jags.

Complex
12-18-2011, 05:10 PM
The Colts could win their next 2 games. They play Yates and Gabbert in those 2 games.

Arsenal
12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
First off I would obviously love Peyton Manning on the 49ers. Can't really pass that up if you have the opportunity.

I will say though that I would not surprised to see Manning and Harbaugh get into an all-out brawl on the sidelines at some point in the season. I feel like their personalities would clash.

killxswitch
12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
First off I would obviously love Peyton Manning on the 49ers. Can't really pass that up if you have the opportunity.

I will say though that I would not surprised to see Manning and Harbaugh get into an all-out brawl on the sidelines at some point in the season. I feel like their personalities would clash.

Manning took Harbaugh's job in Indy. I like Jim and he'll always be a favorite but he seems like the type to not let something like that go.

Iamcanadian
12-18-2011, 09:48 PM

It would be a tacky situation for him to go to another team. Peyton is used to having his own way in play calling which is why Caldwell is their HC. Polian knew that Caldwell would accept this arrangement and that is why he was picked to replace Dungy.
If Manning goes to another team, there could be serious problems with a new HC who doesn't like that arrangement. I remember that Jimmy Johnson said he quit the Miami job because Marino had way too much power in directing the offense and Jimmy couldn't convince to change his ways.

J-Mike88
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
With the moves in Indy today, does that change anything regarding Peyton?

If they trade him, what will they get for him, and who will line up for him?

I would think they'd try hard to send him to the NFC, and Seattle and Washington come to mind.
Shanahan would go apeschit to get himself Peyton Manning.

Snyder would be all-in. Assuming Manning is healthy.
Do the Redskins have any high draft picks left or have they traded them all away already?

I'd like to see Elway get Manning in Denver.

SickwithIt1010
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see Elway get Manning in Denver.

Nah, I love seeing Elway's face during the game...you can tell he just wants to murder Tebow.

nobodyinparticular
01-02-2012, 05:57 PM

"Carson Palmer may not be a franchise quarterback, but the Raiders just gave up a first- and second-round pick to treat him like one."

TBBucs621
01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
I would love for the Bucs to get Manning and re-hire Dungy and allow Freeman to get back at where he was and learn from the best. Or even Jon Gruden. He would love to coach Manning.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
With the moves in Indy today, does that change anything regarding Peyton?

I think this means that Peyton is going to stay, as long as he's healthy and wants to stay himself. If I'm reading between the lines with the firing of the Polians and the comments from Irsay regarding Mannings future being a "family decision" and hoping that "the whole organization pulls in the same direction from now on", I say that they disagreed on how to handle the Peyton Manning situation.

I think Irsay wants to pay Peyton his money, as long as he's healthy and wants to play. And I think the Polians disagreed, and tried selling the idea of cutting Peyton to Irsay. Now they are fired, so I guess the next GM Irsay hires would have to "pull in the same direction" as him and want to work with Peyton for 2012 and beyond.

Note that this doesn't mean that I think they would necessarily forego drafting a QB at #1, but it does make it more likely that we would see a powerplay from Luck to not get drafted by the Colts. We really don't know if he would be comfortable sitting behind Peyton for a couple of years.

BeerBaron
01-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I think this means that Peyton is going to stay, as long as he's healthy and wants to stay himself. If I'm reading between the lines with the firing of the Polians and the comments from Irsay regarding Mannings future being a "family decision" and hoping that "the whole organization pulls in the same direction from now on", I say that they disagreed on how to handle the Peyton Manning situation.

I think Irsay wants to pay Peyton his money, as long as he's healthy and wants to play. And I think the Polians disagreed, and tried selling the idea of cutting Peyton to Irsay. Now they are fired, so I guess the next GM Irsay hires would have to "pull in the same direction" as him and want to work with Peyton for 2012 and beyond.

Note that this doesn't mean that I think they would necessarily forego drafting a QB at #1, but it does make it more likely that we would see a powerplay from Luck to not get drafted by the Colts. We really don't know if he would be comfortable sitting behind Peyton for a couple of years.

That's pretty spot on. The only thing I'd add is that now, I think there's a slightly better chance of the not taking Luck (via trading the pick) than there was before. But it moved from like a .01% change to a 5% chance. Higher if Peyton isn't healthy.

Brodeur
01-02-2012, 07:13 PM
"Carson Palmer may not be a franchise quarterback, but the Raiders just gave up a first- and second-round pick to treat him like one."

I said that a long time ago fella.

OzTitan
01-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Obviously we're assuming Peyton gets back to mostly full health. And I think it's safe to say Peyton values winning over money at this point, and probably wants at least one more ring ASAP. So that rules out quite a few teams. I think he'll also want to be part of a franchise willing to go hard for a Superbowl, and not mearly exist as a profit maker for its owner.

Keep in mind it's extremely unlikely Peyton is traded due to his payment due before the 2012 season starts, and even if he agreed to delay or waive that, part of that agreement would surely include trade refusal rights. So he basically has control over where he goes, I believe.

So with all this considered, I think you've gotta look at teams already in the playoff picture in 2011 - IMO there isn't a single non-playoff team who deserved to go instead and who, going forward, would look for Peyton as their QB and is an obvious playoff and SB contender to the extent I think Peyton would be looking for.

So you look at the playoff teams where he could go and only the 49ers and Broncos would make a move at QB I would think, but I'm not sure the Broncos qualify as a team ready enough for Peyton's tastes. Personally I think Houston should and would clearly become the #1 AFC team with Peyton, but they seem happy with Schaub even though I question his ability to really be that Superbowl winning QB they could use while their window is open with that emerging defense.

Ultimately I think he stays with the Colts, though.

nobodyinparticular
01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I said that a long time ago fella.

I'm a little behind the times...

Brothgar
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Miami seems more and more like a real possibility. It has been reported that the team has made an offer to Jeff Fisher Fisher loves him some Peyton Manning. The League would love it Brady vs Manning twice a year. Add that to the fact that Miami is currently better than most if not all of those Indy teams he's been on seems like a match made in heaven.
Didn't Manning take over for Harbaugh in Indy? I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. But on the other hand they have a good cap situation and are really currently a QB away from a Super Bowl. With Manning the 49ers are instantly super bowl favorites no amount of pride or personality flaws can mess that up.

Brent
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. But on the other hand they have a good cap situation and are really currently a QB away from a Super Bowl. With Manning the 49ers are instantly super bowl favorites no amount of pride or personality flaws can mess that up.
they are committed to Alex Smith. stop it with this.

Mufasa
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The Ravens should do everything possible to get him. With a top QB, they'd be Super Bowl favorites. If they could get 2-3 years out of Manning it'd be well worth giving up on Flacco.

Simba
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
The Ravens should do everything possible to get him. With a top QB, they'd be Super Bowl favorites. If they could get 2-3 years out of Manning it'd be well worth giving up on Flacco.

Yes. You are correct father.

BigBlueNorwegian
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Lol, where's Timon and Pumba?

OzTitan
01-03-2012, 01:41 AM

Win.

BTW be wary of your uncle.

Brodeur
01-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Lol, where's Timon and Pumba?

If we can bring Scar back from purgatory here, they'd make a nice trio.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM

So immediate no's to:
Green Bay
Chicago
Detroit
NYG
Philly
The entire NFC South
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cincinnati
New England
Houston
San Diego

St. Louis
Minnesota
Tennessee

Pretty good assessment although I wouldn't rule out the Cowboys with the ego their owner has.
I'm assuming he will only go to a team with real playoff potential.

#1 Washington
#2 Cowboys
#3 Miami
#4 Seattle

Cannot see any other teams as being possible.